Magic Bounce

Espeon as anti-lead it could work very well….but unfortunately it is frail and against beasts as Metagross/Heatran/azelf is always risky to use a strategy of this type. as baton passer it's a bit better. Magic Mirror would have been perfect for pokemon like leafeon and Umbreon thanks to their superior defenses but probably the game freak wanted give to espeon some points over alakazam.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
i think that 130 special attack is strong enough even without a good stab to take care of some of the old ou pokes like swampert and hippodown with grass knot,machamp with psychic!!!these are some bulky pokes...if u want frailer u can find plenty that she can hurt pretty bad!!!i am not telling whether or not she is ou materieal i am just telling that she definitely has the power to avoid becoming a sitting duck and do some good damage!!!!

Modest Life Orb Espeon's Psychic 2HKOs Mixpert(even Timid is extremely likely to 2HKO), and has a very small chance of 2HKOing Curse Swampert if Stealth Rock is in play(both calculations assume nature and EV spread from Smogon's strategy page).

The point is, Swampert doesn't necessarily want to switch in on a faster Espeon, and thus Grass Knot may not be necessary. Especially if Baton Pass ends up being legal with Magic Mirror, as you'd want to run something like this:

Psychic
Baton Pass
Substitute
HP Fire/Fighting

Does it reflect Taunt. It's not a status, but is non-damaging so.. I'm not sure.
Yeah, it does:
Confirmed Magic Coat now reflects Whirlwind, Roar, Disable, Spite, Spikes, Foresight, Encore, Torment, Taunt, Odor Sleuth, Miracle Eye, Embargo, Heal Block, Toxic Spikes, Defog, and Stealth Rock

Does it reflect Taunt. It's not a status, but is non-damaging so.. I'm not sure.
Yes, it does. Magic Mirror also reflects Encore (lol), Leech Seed, all entry hazards, status, Whirlwind, Roar et cetera.

Espeon is probably the best MM abuser, you don't have to play it as a lead, but you can usually switch into Espeon the first turn, when you are against a suicide lead / Nattorei / Skarmory. I think it's not that good in the lead spot as FO leads / Ttar / Zoroark with an illusion of a Psychic weak Pokémon are too common.

Espeon @ Light Clay
Ability: Magic Mirror
Nature: Timid / Jolly
EVs: 252HP / 4Def / 252Spe
Moves:
~ Wish (167HP)
~ Baton Pass
~ Reflect
~ Light Screen

Probably the best Espeon set I've used. It can easily switch into Erufuun (most annoying PKMN ever), Skarmory, Nattorei, most status moves etc and force them out. Baton Pass is for scouting and escaping Pursuit and Shadow Tag. Dual screens are for setting up a sweeper and to boost Espeon's bad defenses.

I've used offensive sets, but these are way too easy to wall and Scizor / Ttar are way too annoying. Still have to test a BP set.

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I could be ninja'd, but confirmed: Espeon learns Baton Pass with Magic Mirror if you have a female Eevee on hand.

As far as Espeon in a standard metagame goes, it's a good Pokemon by itself discounting Alakazam and few friends. If it wants to avoid Tyranitar and other Pursuit users, it may have to run a Substitute + Baton Pass set. If that's not you guys' cup of tea, play to its supportive options.

Espeon, in my opinion, NEEDS Substitute since it's going to force switches out of Breloom and friends. Purely offensive is an okay option.

EDIT: And shouldn't we be discussing all this in the Espeon thread, if there is one?

I could be ninja'd, but confirmed: Espeon learns Baton Pass with Magic Mirror if you have a female Eevee on hand.

As far as Espeon in a standard metagame goes, it's a good Pokemon by itself discounting Alakazam and few friends.

EDIT: And shouldn't we be discussing all this in the Espeon thread, if there is one?
Xatu just died a little inside

It is a good new toy for Espeon, now it is not outclassed by Alakazam and it can be a good antilead, but if it isn´t used as antilead it must be careful becouse it is even frail, and switch it in while the opponent uses an attack can be a fast KO.

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Xatu just died a little inside
Xatu, on the other hand, is another story.

Ladies and gentlemen, let's introduce Shinbora, and welcome back a fellow competitor 130 Special Attack served with a decent 95 Special Defense and fantastic 110 Speed!

Farukon_o_miru said:
It is a good new toy for Espeon, now it is not outclassed by Alakazam and it can be a good antilead, but if it isn´t used as antilead it must be careful becouse it is even frail, and switch it in while the opponent uses an attack can be a fast KO.
It's not very frail specially, sharing the same with Jolteon. Jolteon itself takes Special Attack fairly well, and Espeon can further boost it with Calm Mind, if it finds the time. EspyJump can make an appearance again...

I think y'all are underestimating Xatu. He gets both U-Turn and Roost (which the cat lacks), which function very well with MM, plus better typing (IMO). I'm not saying that he's good enough to outclass Espeon, but he should at least be mentioned, as he has his own perks.

Besides, he just looks awesome.

DeagleBeagle

Banned deucer.
I think a set with baton pass would do well, seeing as you cannot roar or whirlwind. However I think baton pass would go before roar or whirlwind, and the turn you use it, if the foe whirlwinds then I think you would be blown out since your ally does not have magic mirror. Maybe someone could test that in-game for me. Because otherwise a calm mind passing espeon could work well.

an Espeon that is impervious to leech seed, phazing and stat drops (what about shadow balls sp, def drop chance would that be reflected?)

i loved espeon before but this makes me love it even more!

I think the BP sets would greatly benefit from a Terakion in the team, especially when facing Tyranitar or other Pursuit users. Baton Pass so Tera takes an unboosted, resisted (and thus laughably weak) Pursuit, which will also activate a +1 attack boost thanks to Justice Heart.

There's also the fact that Tera outspeeds even Scarfed T-Tar sets (as opposed to Lucario), and can benefit from the sandstorm with it adding to its special bulk.

That will most likely force the opponent to switch out, giving Tera an opportunity to use another stat up move.

(Since both MM users are weak to Pursuit I thought it would make sense to post this here)

everyones saying that it would be great to put brelooms spore right back in its face, but does it go through substitute?
The way Magic Coat (which is what Magic Mirror replicates) worked last gen, it basically canceled the opponent's move and had you use it yourself (complete with the chance of missing), so it probably won't go through subs.

Lol @ this secret Espeon thread. Xatu, while it may be inferior, does get Night Shade, Roost, Wish, Tailwind, Lucky Chant, U-Turn, and Haze, just to name a few. While moves alone don't make a Pokemon better, it does at least allow it to do a few things differently. Plus, it is immune to Ground, has a 4x resistance from Fighting, and neutrality to Bug. Again, it's no Espeon, but since Magic Mirror is the name of the thread, I figure Xatu should be getting some love lol.

SJCrew

Believer, going on a journey...
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I've seen my fair share of Espeon because of this ability, and while it's annoying that I can't get my rocks up right away, the prerequisite to this is to use Espeon, who is not a good Pokemon at all outside of this specific purpose. Once my opponent bounces back SR and gets their little laugh, I switch in something it absolutely cannot feasibly damage and steal the momentum anyway. Even afterward, if I keep my Brozong or something in, I can outpredict and get rocks up anyway after they leave (because they know Gyro Ball is coming next).

I'm seriously hoping that this doesn't push Espeon into OU. I would say this makes it a perfect Erufuun counter, but for the most part, it's still a huge liability on almost any OU team.

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
I go Reflect / Psycho Shock / HP Fire / Grass Knot @ Leftovers, Timid 252 SAtk / 252 Speed and it's never a liability...

...Except when Nattorei overpredicts me and Gyro Balls on the switch-in.

I've seen my fair share of Espeon because of this ability, and while it's annoying that I can't get my rocks up right away, the prerequisite to this is to use Espeon, who is not a good Pokemon at all outside of this specific purpose.
I think that Espeon gaining Magic Mirror is more of a boon than one might think. The flexibility of the trait, that fact that you make your opponent think twice about using a status or spikes type move is great. Espeon's supporting set gain a viability boost due to it's new trait.

Once my opponent bounces back SR and gets their little laugh, I switch in something it absolutely cannot feasibly damage and steal the momentum anyway. Even afterward, if I keep my Brozong or something in, I can outpredict and get rocks up anyway after they leave (because they know Gyro Ball is coming next).
It's a bit of a risk on my part but, usually I just BP out after bouncing back SR or spikes, reversing the advantage they thought they'd have by sending in a counter.

I'm seriously hoping that this doesn't push Espeon into OU. I would say this makes it a perfect Erufuun counter, but for the most part, it's still a huge liability on almost any OU team.
I don't see why you care? If a pokemon's usage statistics are enough to push it into OU, then that's the end of it. If Espeon is providing enough of a benefit to be put on a team, then it is not a liability.

Magic Mirror is bypassable by Mold Breaker. I'm now running taunt on my TR Kurimugan to get past these BP teams, or would Roar be better?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)