Mamoswine

Okay, I've been using Mamo quite a lot recently and I think Freeze Dry deserves at least a slash on the physical attacker. Superpower is really only for Ferrothorn and Rotom-w, and if you're going to predict a Rotom-w switch so you can hit it with Superpower, you might as well make the same prediction and get a 2HKO with Freeze Dry. Ferrothorn doesn't like taking LO Icicle Crashes anyway, and neither does Balloon Excadrill. Freeze Dry is amazing for surprising Gyarados which can stay in regular form to avoid EQ while it sets up "freely" after lowering your attack with intimidate. It also smashes Quagsire which can be vital in breaking stall teams.

I'd like the set to be:
- EQ
- Ice Shard
- icicle crash/spear
- Freeze Dry/superpower

QC input on this would be good

Aragorn the King

Literally a duck
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Also, does this phrasing make sense?
As far as alternate moves go, Mamoswine's movepool is quite sparse. Stone Edge has good synergy with Earthquake, but is generally inferior to Mamoswine's Ice-type STAB moves and Superpower. Mamoswine can also make use of a Choice Band for more immediate power than Life Orb, but being locked into Earthquake is undesirable and easy for the opponent to exploit. Likewise, a Choice Scarf allows Mamoswine to act as a dedicated revenge killer; however, it is outclassed by other Choice Scarf users such as Garchomp, which sports better typing.
I'd put an "a" before "better," but I'm not sure what the Smogon norm is.

Ash Borer

I've heard they're short of room in hell
Okay, I've been using Mamo quite a lot recently and I think Freeze Dry deserves at least a slash on the physical attacker. Superpower is really only for Ferrothorn and Rotom-w, and if you're going to predict a Rotom-w switch so you can hit it with Superpower, you might as well make the same prediction and get a 2HKO with Freeze Dry. Ferrothorn doesn't like taking LO Icicle Crashes anyway, and neither does Balloon Excadrill. Freeze Dry is amazing for surprising Gyarados which can stay in regular form to avoid EQ while it sets up "freely" after lowering your attack with intimidate. It also smashes Quagsire which can be vital in breaking stall teams.

I'd like the set to be:
- EQ
- Ice Shard
- icicle crash/spear
- Freeze Dry/superpower

QC input on this would be good
hi Sturdynips. Yes, I do agree with this slashing fully. Superpower was mentioned as being able to hit ferrothorn, who already takes an assload from Earthquake and Balloon users which is nice, but much easier to play around than entire Pokemon, especially rather popular ones such as Rotom and Gyarados..

Is the SR set even relevant to the current metagame?

Defog is now running rampant and afaik all non HO prefer reliable SR setters that can set SR multiple times and HO prefers Deoxys-S because of it's speed, access to Spikes too, versatility and ability to set up weather too.
While I do agree it is unique I am questioning whether it is viable in the current metagame.

Also I feel mentions of Celebi and Noivern should be changed to current relevant examples like MSaur. And maybe the mentions to Breloom need to be toned down a little.

Aragorn the King

Literally a duck
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Is the SR set even relevant to the current metagame?

Defog is now running rampant and afaik all non HO prefer reliable SR setters that can set SR multiple times and HO prefers Deoxys-S because of it's speed, access to Spikes too, versatility and ability to set up weather too.
While I do agree it is unique I am questioning whether it is viable in the current metagame.

Also I feel mentions of Celebi and Noivern should be changed to current relevant examples like MSaur. And maybe the mentions to Breloom need to be toned down a little.
Mamoswine is actually much more bulky than Deoxys-S, and actually does have the survivability to set up rocks twice. Also, Deoxys-D is then HO hazard setter, not Deo-S. Yes, Deo-D is bulkier, but Mamoswine has its benefits, such as Endeavor, an Offensive Presence, and priority. Defog is very common, but thanks to its STAB, Mamoswine can beat most all of its users, barring Skarmory.

How does Mamoswine kill Venusaur, or make its life as a teammate easier? It may be helped by Venu's resistances, but Venusaur gains little from Mamoswine. I think Celebi is fine here. However I do agree that Noivern should probably be changed to Dragonite, if Multiscale has been broken.
---------
Sturdynips
from other dedicated leads such as Deoxys-S
Deoxys-D is the lead now. I know this is done, but I'd consider adding or changing it.

I'm currently in the process of rewriting a few sections to accommodate freeze dry and replace mentions of less relevant pokemon. When i'm finished i'll get QC to look over it again and maybe GP too. Thanks for the little catches everyone

The last sentence in moves is

"Finally, Mamoswine also has access to Knock Off, which with its new mechanics could be useful in the final move slot if Superpower and Stealth Rock are undesired."

Should probably be changed to

"Finally, Mamoswine also has access to Knock Off, which with its new mechanics could be useful in the final move slot if Freeze Dry and Superpower are undesired."

You may also want to mention how Freeze Dry is best used on a predicted switch into bulky Water-types in the Usage Tips.

Freeze Dry may seem like an odd choice on a physical attacker, but it provides excellent coverage against bulky Water-types. Defensive Rotom-W is 2HKOed after Stealth Rock damage,
12 EVs in Special Attack guarantee that Rotom-W is 2HKOed by Freeze Dry after Stealth Rock damage.
I think it's important to clarify that the only defensive Rotom-W you're 2HKO'ing is the standard physically-defensive one. Specially defensive Rotom-W (which is apparently very common, though not recommended [?]) is only 3HKO'd.

Ash Borer

I've heard they're short of room in hell
physically defensive rotom is more common according to 1760 stats, however the usefulness of either is about the same. Rotom-W sdef is very good against rain teams, Landorus, AEgislash and Greninja, whic his pretty vauable whereas phys def is much better againt Talonflame, Pinsir, and some others like Bisharp that it could potentially burn

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)