Marshadow Discussion

toshimelonhead

Honey Badger don't care.
is a Tiering Contributor
Something that hasn't been mentioned yet is that it can run a 90 Base Power Special move of any type it desires, thanks to Hidden Power. Not that it needs to, with that great STAB Coverage. But it can run HP Ice to OHKO defensive Landorus-T or Garchomp, or HP Fire to defeat Mega Scizor, for example. That's pretty neat. It does get the elemental punches, but the idea here is to target physically defensive pokemon, and to not proc potential Rocky Helmets.

-1 252 Atk Life Orb Marshadow Ice Punch vs. 252 HP / 240+ Def Landorus-T: 218-260 (57 - 68%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
4 SpA Life Orb Technician Marshadow Hidden Power Ice vs. 252 HP / 8 SpD Landorus-T: 369-437 (96.5 - 114.3%) -- 75% chance to OHKO

You can see the difference. Its a shame HP Fairy isn't a thing, or else you could target Mega Sableye who checks you otherwise.
You beat me to it. Mixed Marshadow is going to be one of the first things I try out in SuMo OU. Something like:

Marshadow @ Life Orb
Ability: Technician
EVs: 216 Atk / 40 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Spectral Thief
- Close Combat
- Hidden Power Ice
- Shadow Sneak (or idgaf something broken)

40 SpA enables Marshadow to OHKO Bulky Lando-T with HP Ice.
164 Special Attack EVs allow you do to magical things such as OHKO Tankchomp without rocks.

Other scary calculations:

216 Atk Life Orb Marshadow Close Combat vs. 4 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 640-751 (99.6 - 116.9%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO
216 Atk Life Orb Technician Marshadow Shadow Sneak vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Latios: 289-343 (96.6 - 114.7%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO
216 Atk Life Orb Abomasnow Spectral Thief vs. 96 HP / 0- Def Tornadus-T: 243-289 (75.2 - 89.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
216 Atk Life Orb Abomasnow Spectral Thief vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Aegislash-Shield: 257-304 (79.3 - 93.8%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock*** (Aegi vs Marshadow would be fun to theorymon depending on what Spectral Thief does vs Kings Shield)

Hello OU, meet your new exorcist :D

literally created an account just to ask: have any of the leakers stated whether Marshadow is an event only pokemon or if we can catch it in-game?

literally created an account just to ask: have any of the leakers stated whether Marshadow is an event only pokemon or if we can catch it in-game?
It's more than likely event only since it comes right after Magearna in the Pokedex and we know she's a Mythical event Pokemon, too.

I kind of hope it stays into OU, because he seems very fun to play. His biggest fault is lack of good boosting moves (except Bulk Up / Work Up) and no U-Turn (that would have been insane) but when you get Ghost / Fighting STAB, Elemental Punches, Technician priority and Technician Rock Tomb, it's no hard to see why he could go to Uber.
Still, he is so cute :(

It's damn strong. Gonna be fun using it in OU while it lasts (and gonna suck being up against it).

NoCheese edit: removing ban speculation

Last edited by a moderator:

A N G E R Y

In all seriousness, this is my favorite Pokemon so far in S&M right next to Mimikyu (and both of them are cute Ghost types <3).

• Ghost/Fighting is horrifyingly-good coverage and has great STABs in its sig move Spectral Thief, Close Combat, Drain Punch and priority Shadow Sneak
  • Speaking of Shadow Sneak, it gets Technician-boosted, along with Rock Tomb and Hidden Powers on mixed lure sets such as HP Ice for Lando-T
  • its Z move is one of the strongest in the game
  • great Speed that naturally speed ties with Weavile and takes neutral damage from Knock Off
  • very workable Attack stat of 125
  • phenomenal coverage with elemental punches, Rock Tomb, Sucker Punch (not as good as Shadow Sneak, but it's nice to have, I guess) and Poison Jab.
  • It can Pursuit-trap.
I just wish it got Swords Dance and U-Turn, but this is already looking to be a phenomenal Pokemon.

Oh yeah, Technician pursuit is cool! Gets boosted if they decide not to switch. Don't know if it's particularly viable on Marshadow but it's naturally faster than like Scarftar which is cool.

Yeah if Shiinotic can hold on for a turn(not likely) and get a strength sap in Marsh(mallow)adow over here ain't so scary
Strength Sap: The user restores its HP by the same amount as the target's Attack stat. It also lowers the target's Attack stat. -- [Grass] --, Status.

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Okay, let's see here.
  • Base 125 Atk and Speed right off the bat
  • Decent defensive stats of 90-80-90 despite its high stats
  • And yet it's BST is 600? Literally get the fuck out of here with your stupid ass optimal stat distribution.
  • STAB Close Combat is always good
  • An actually usable physical Ghost type Attack for a change? With a side effect that also blows slower Swords Dance users out of the bat, too.
  • Actually fuck that it just straights up cucks your stat boosts like you didn't do shit and donkey punches you in the face while at it.
  • Has elemental punches if for some reason just having Ghost + Fighting coverage isn't already good enough
  • Pursuit and Shadow Sneak are super neat with Technician
  • Can unexpectedly screw your shit up with Will-O-Wisp or Bulk Up depending on the team
  • Screws you harder than Trump's presidency just by holding a Choice Band
Yeeeeah get this shit out of OU. It's like what GF would do to Terrakion if it had 20 more stat points and Rock didn't have shit physical STABs.

Last edited:
Please dont ban Marshadow from OU. I feel like it is one of the only few good Pokemon from Gen 7. Almost evrything else from Gen 7 is unfortunately trash.
Are the starters, the Tapus, the Ultrabeasts, Magearna, Gholisopod, Toxapex, Kommo-o, Salazzle, and Dhelmise not good enough for you?

EDIT: And all of those are ignoring newly relevant threats that aren't technically Gen 7 mons like the newly buffed Dugtrio, Arcanine, Mantine, Gigalith, Pelipper, and Flygon, the new formes Ash-Greninja and Zygarde-Complete, and the obviously Uber Solgaleo and Lunala.

EDIT 2: And if you include VGC, add Shiinotic and Oranguru to the good Pokemon list.

Last edited:
Are the starters, the Tapus, the Ultrabeasts, Magearna, Gholisopod, Toxapex, Kommo-o, Salazzle, and Dhelmise not god enough for you?

EDIT: And all of those are ignoring newly relevant threats that aren't technically Gen 7 mons like the newly buffed Dugtrio, Arcanine, Mantine, Gigalith, Pelipper, and Flygon, the new formes Ash-Greninja and Zygarde-Complete, and the obviously Uber Solgaleo and Lunala.

EDIT 2: And if you include VGC, add Shiinotic and Oranguru to the good Pokemon list.
Yeah I like the Mons you said. But at the same time Game Freak made most of the Mon to slow. For example the starters the highest speed stat has the Grass Type Starter and 70 base speed for that is pretty underwhelming. The Tapus do have good stats but they're slow too except Tapu Koko.

Yeah I like the Mons you said. But at the same time Game Freak made most of the Mon to slow. For example the starters the highest speed stat has the Grass Type Starter and 70 base speed for that is pretty underwhelming. The Tapus do have good stats but they're slow too except Tapu Koko.
You're right, it has been a very slow gen so far overall. However, don't forget Lycaroc-Midday form, Ribombee, Salazzle, Minior after it transforms, and especially Pheromosa are all quite fast as well, so we're not JUST getting slow mons.

You're right, it has been a very slow gen so far overall. However, don't forget Lycaroc-Midday form, Ribombee, Salazzle, Minior after it transforms, and especially Pheromosa are all quite fast as well, so we're not JUST getting slow mons.
I know but Smogon is gonna all UB's anyway so there is literally no candidate for the OU tier. I was talking about the competitive aspect. For example Lurantis why the heck is that Pokemon only base 45 ? Like doesn't it look fast ? Game Freak did some bullshit to the new Pokemon. That is my opinion. At least there is a lot of stuff for NU and PU.
Please do not ban this thing to UBER's.

Last edited:
This guy is quite possibly one of my new favorite Pokemon. There's just literally nothing NOT to love about him. He's got an amazing typing, a fantastic stat spread, a great movepool, a good ability, and a signature move that allows him to punish slower set-up sweepers. What more could you possibly ask for? How about the fact that it's fucking adorable?

I know but Smogon is gonna all UB's anyway so there is literally no candidate for the OU tier. I was talking about the competitive aspect. For example Lurantis why the heck is that Pokemon only base 45 ? Like doesn't it look fast ? Game Freak did some bullshit to the new Pokemon. That is my opinion. At least there is a lot of stuff for NU and PU.
Please do not ban this thing to UBER's.
Slow does not immediately mean "won't be OU"... this gen's Pokemon seems to be more focused on sheer utility and not let things switch in to begin with rather than being fast.

Ah one of the fabled typing combos we wished so hard has finally graced in his cute face..i do hope he stays OU for a while..too bad we don't have a Normal/Ghost pokemon to counter this guy.

Are the starters, the Tapus, the Ultrabeasts, Magearna, Gholisopod, Toxapex, Kommo-o, Salazzle, and Dhelmise not good enough for you?

Sorry to ask, but how did how was Arcanine buffed? Not doubting you, just didn't see much on it.

Please don't ban this, it looks rad! Why they saved all the love in optimal 600 BST stat spreads and left none for Kommo'o is beyond me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)