Max Raid Discussion Thread

BTW about raids spawning, how do I reset the raids if I could not defeat some of these raids?
Raids tecnically cycle on their own after some hours, so in worse scenario, you just wait.

it actually feels like you could just solo the bosses without these ai teammates that are legit troll-tier death fodder to put a timer on the encounter

its also super amazing that people suggest "well just get other players lol" when the only time ive ever seen another player join my raid is when its a gigantamax pokemon or something interesting. i've been stuck with 5 star diggersby that just earthquakes and laughs as my magikarp togepi mudbray team dies instantly 1 turn before i would win
As much as I get your frustration, raids were meant to be mainly a multiplayer feature.
If they were easily doable alone, it'd have destroyed the entire purpose of the feature.

Even though 5 man raids are very hard to solo, T4 are a cakewalk with level 100s and basically have same rewards. You can look for them and just avoid T5 ones in worse case.

As much as I get your frustration, raids were meant to be mainly a multiplayer feature.
If they were easily doable alone, it'd have destroyed the entire purpose of the feature.
i understand this and i would rather they just give us better ai teammates honestly, doing them with even one other player with a real pokemon makes the fight so so much easier

Even though 5 man raids are very hard to solo, T4 are a cakewalk with level 100s and basically have same rewards. You can look for them and just avoid T5 ones in worse case.
i would absolutely love to do this, but i can't get more raids to spawn without clearing out all the other ones first it seems, so after a while i literally have to defeat the 5 star raids or else i can't get any more and i get stuck with an unbeatable 5 star conkeldurr or any pokemon that has a cleave attack and one shots my entire team of baby pokemon

i understand this and i would rather they just give us better ai teammates honestly, doing them with even one other player with a real pokemon makes the fight so so much easier

i would absolutely love to do this, but i can't get more raids to spawn without clearing out all the other ones first it seems, so after a while i literally have to defeat the 5 star raids or else i can't get any more and i get stuck with an unbeatable 5 star conkeldurr or any pokemon that has a cleave attack and one shots my entire team of baby pokemon
Same problem with me. I have three remaining five stars, Cloyster, Gigalith and Galvantula that I cannot defeat and no other spawns pop up. :(

Even if it ends up being (which i doubt, 4x weak to rock on a average speed tier with no way to reliably boost speed), its regular Dinamax is better than its Gigamax (same as for charizard... chip damage < setting sun)
Technically its chip damage and cant escape, probably better serves for doubles and singles. That being said, Cenriskorch has a lot of health for a bug, and can easily reach 700s in HP with enough dynamax candy. Im curious whether coil white smoke or flame body would be better.

My current raid goal is to find Gigantimax Copperajah. With his Dynamax basically being a Stealth Steel, i wanna at least test it on wifi.

At this point I am pretty sure there is no Hatterene (and pre evo) raid in this game or there is some bug, I never saw one, you get the same 30 'mons (I'm being generous with 30) pretty much all the time + Giga + some rare ones, accross my raids and all the ones I see pop in the stickers.
This is really bad to get HA. (Gonna wait for Giga Hatterene and Copperajah for that it seems...)

Concerning max raids, why does a super effective hit not cause hardly any damage to the Pokémon you’re battling? For instance, my Max Quake from Flygon barely dents the Togedemaru that I’m battling. Usually, after you break its shield, you cause more damage, but the second successful hit I landed did about half as much as my first hit! Togedemaru is quad weak to ground so I have no idea why my level 65 Flygon barely dents it. Any ideas?

Concerning max raids, why does a super effective hit not cause hardly any damage to the Pokémon you’re battling? For instance, my Max Quake from Flygon barely dents the Togedemaru that I’m battling. Usually, after you break its shield, you cause more damage, but the second successful hit I landed did about half as much as my first hit! Togedemaru is quad weak to ground so I have no idea why my level 65 Flygon barely dents it. Any ideas?
Raid mons have a sort of protection of sorts that permits you from lowering their hp too much (most seem to use 75% and 25%) so that they can put up their shield.

Raid mons have a sort of protection of sorts that permits you from lowering their hp too much (most seem to use 75% and 25%) so that they can put up their shield.
This is some stupidly frustrating mechanics. For all the talk about making the game less frustrating and easy to play, GF suddenly thought it's fun to put in some OP as heck mons with massive attack power that can be fired multiple times, often reset stats and actually has HP lock to prevent themselves from being harmed. Then add in stupid AI teammates as cannon fodder to just die while accomplish little.

Right but the confusing part for me was a hit it for maybe 20% of its health, it then puts up its shield and it gets broken. The game then tells me that it’s defense drops two stages. I hit it with the same attack and I figure to do more damage and I might have been lucky to take out 5% of its health. It made no sense.

At this point I am pretty sure there is no Hatterene (and pre evo) raid in this game or there is some bug, I never saw one, you get the same 30 'mons (I'm being generous with 30) pretty much all the time + Giga + some rare ones, accross my raids and all the ones I see pop in the stickers.
This is really bad to get HA. (Gonna wait for Giga Hatterene and Copperajah for that it seems...)
From what I can tell, non event gigantimax raids can only be found in specific dens, and only a 5% chance of showing up. Apparently there is a strat that allows for unlimited retries but the basic point is you need to find the right den and fill it with all the wishing stones in the world.

And then win and catch the dang things. But these gigantimax ones can be squirrelly...lost a few butterflies this way

Some difficulty in a Pokémon game? Finally!

I for one welcome our 5 star Max Raid Overlords
it's not difficult it's just frustrating and tedious

the requirements for beating 5 star raids are simply varying degrees of luck around how terrible your ai teammates are, how worthless the pokemon they bring are, and to a lesser extent the moves the boss decides to randomly use and who he decides to use them on.

probably around 60% of the teams the game will give you you're better off just restarting the software to get another one so you dont have to sit through 5 minutes of eevee only using helping hand on clefairy that only uses follow me while solrock uses rock polish before you get double earthquaked and lose immediately

it's not difficult it's just frustrating and tedious

the requirements for beating 5 star raids are simply varying degrees of luck around how terrible your ai teammates are, how worthless the pokemon they bring are, and to a lesser extent the moves the boss decides to randomly use and who he decides to use them on.

probably around 60% of the teams the game will give you you're better off just restarting the software to get another one so you dont have to sit through 5 minutes of eevee only using helping hand on clefairy that only uses follow me while solrock uses rock polish before you get double earthquaked and lose immediately
Clefairy is actually pretty decent in absorbing single target attacks that would otherwise take out a teammate (but does jack against multi target attacks, unfortunately)
Eevee is still okay since so far it always passes HH to my 'mons which hits hard enough……but some matches like fucking Magikarp and Wobbuffet is so bad it's inexcusable
Wishiwashi is super frail (in front of these trucks disguised as mons) and most of the time just dies worthlessly along with solrock

To talk about the real/fake difficulty aspect, I'm going to draw comparisons to superbosses in other RPGs, and why I think that Raids don't really live up to being endgame challenges in the same way. Frequently, superbosses are designed to fight very differently, and as such require different strategies to defeat (i.e. Don't summon rush Valukar in Golden Sun). Raids, while they vary in typing, have a formulaic setup that causes the player strategy to not need to change once one working option is found. The ineptitude of the AI does not help in this regard, nor does the barrier mechanic seeming to actively discourage anything other than "I hit it." An increase in difficulty is mostly just an increase in stats, which I fail to find interesting. Obviously, there would be some issues with actually implementing this for everything, though I would argue that it would not have been unfeasible for Gmax raids to use altered mechanics and set AI partners capable of working with them.

Surprisingly Sivally is pretty good in max raids as a general purpose damage dealer (at least against those with 4x weaknesses + types that the legendaries don't do well against), Multi Attack now at 120BP with zero drawbacks outside of item restrictions allows it to do pretty respectable amounts of damage while advantageous typing + good overall bulk makes it good at dealing with the potential damage bosses could deliver

Compared to the legendaries Sivally can both dish damage well and can Max when required to bust walls quickly, and the fact that D-Multi Attack also changes type accordingly which means spammage for maximum damage

Last edited:
It's worth noting that Fissure (and assumedly other ohko moves) break all of the boss' barriers when it hits.

Edit: I've also found that bulky mons with defensive typing are more useful than mons with super effective typings, provided that there is already a mon which can Dynamax with super effective attacks on the team. Mons which don't die and function as barrier breakers seem to have a pretty functional role. On that note, don't bring rock or water types to the gmax centiskorch raid because it has 2 grass moves.

Last edited:

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
Same problem with me. I have three remaining five stars, Cloyster, Gigalith and Galvantula that I cannot defeat and no other spawns pop up. :(

I don't have the games so I can't confirm, but my friends say that if you join someone else's raid online, it'll refresh everything in your own world.

I don't have the games so I can't confirm, but my friends say that if you join someone else's raid online, it'll refresh everything in your own world.
Have to deny this. I've been spamraiding a lot with DHR-107 , Giratina93 and some more, and even by joining each other's raids several times in a row, our available raids stayed the same.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)