May 7* Raid Event: Tera Rock Chesnaught

My bets for the Gimmick is full DEF focus. IronPress or even Defense Curl + Rollout for the Rock STAB gimmick (god tell me it doesn't power up "collectively" instead of per-Lane)

I'm not quite sure of how a Rollout thing would work out, but hey, you know what attack is supereffective on rock and basically hardcounters Rollout?

Yep, you guessed it
https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Mud-Slap_(move)

I think if there's no Acrobatics, I may fiddle with

Breelom @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
Mud-Slap
Drain Punch
Bulk Up
Helping Hand / Charm / Low Sweep / Toxic (did you know breelom gets this?) / Fake Tears / Force Palm

Jolly, 252 hp / def, already outspeeds jolly chesnaugh

Last edited:
We've got the 2 fairly major strategies (curl/rollout, raise defense + fighting press) but checking the movepool to see anything else to be wary of...

-Spiky Shield. It's (more or less) his signature move but...actually do any raids use protection moves? I suppose that'd be kind of rude if so.
-Leech Seed could be sneaky. It's very hard to remove; you have to use Rapid Spin or Mortal Spin or I assume the Heal cheer. Could be a lot to micromanage compared to the more standard statuses.
-Chesnaught has various ways of raising defense. Defense Curl takes priority because of Rollout, but we shouldn't ignore Bulk Up in particular. We all know how that can spiral out of control. Likewise, Curse.
-A surprising number of potential coverage moves: Earthquake, Shadow Claw, Aerobatics/Aerial Ace, Poison Jab, Thunder Punch...Difficult to say what it will prioritize. Or maybe it'll get multiple.
-Aside from Rollout it also gets Rock Slide & Stone Edge. I think it'll definitely get at least one of these. If it gets Bulldoze + Rock Slide, speed control can suddenly become actually important because now it can fish for flinches which imo is more devestating than crits.
-Belly Drum!

I'm not quite sure of how a Rollout thing would work out, but hey, you know what attack is supereffective on rock and basically hardcounters Rollout?

Yep, you guessed it
https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Mud-Slap_(move)

I think if there's no Acrobatics, I may fiddle with

Breelom @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
Mud-Slap
Drain Punch
Bulk Up
Helping Hand / Charm / Low Sweep / Toxic (did you know breelom gets this?) / Fake Tears / Force Palm

Jolly, 252 hp / def, already outspeeds jolly chesnaugh
Chesnaught doesn't learn Acrobatics, the only Flying move it has ever had access to is Aerial Ace (which it does get in gen 9 so it might have it).

Band

scatters things often
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Some points about this raid:
  • I see Chesnaught carrying EdgeQuake coverage, it already has STAB Rollout/Rock Slide/Stone Edge from Tera and it gets access to Bulldoze and Earthquake, and we all know EdgeQuake coverage is amazing.
  • Like R_N said, Leech Seed is an option for the extra moves and it'll be extremely annoying. Unless you're a Grass-type, things can get ugly FAST.
  • Bulk Up + Drain Punch/Swords Dance is scary af. With that healing, it can definitely afford to run Wood Hammer, which is gonna sting.
  • Synthesis is annoying but a tad unreliable (but that can be fixed with Sunny Day to buff Synthesis healing to 2/3 HP, and I wouldn't be surprised given the past two raids have carried some sort of weather-setting move. Also has the added bonus of weakening Water-type attacks).
:xy/chesnaught:
Chesnaught
Ability: Bulletproof
Tera Type: Rock
- Rollout
- Earthquake
- Wood Hammer
- Drain Punch

Additional Moves:
- Defense Curl
- Leech Seed
- Bulk Up
- Iron Defense?
- Body Press?

I can see Rock Tomb being a possible extra move. Decent STAB that lowers Speed.

But yeah, like I said within the OP:

:corviknight:
Corviknight @ Shell Bell
Ability: Mirror Armor
Tera Type: Fighting
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Iron Defense
- Screech
- Body Press
- Taunt

Pretty straightforward set. Taunt shuts down whatever status move shenanigan Chesnaught would want to go for, then you Iron Defense, Screech, then Body Press your way to victory.

:chesnaught:
Chesnaught @ Black Belt / Sitrus Berry / Shell Bell
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 248 Def / 4 Spe or 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Adamant / Impish Nature
- Swords Dance / Belly Drum / Iron Defense
- Drain Punch / Body Press
- Taunt
- Synthesis / Reflect / Helping Hand / Mud Slap

Ironically, I can see normal Chesnaught being a good counter to the Rock-type boss version of itself. You could go either max Attack with SD / BD + Drain Punch or fully defensive with an Iron Defense + Body Press set. Has other options, too, like Reflect, Mud Slap, and Helping Hand.

Last edited:
I'm surprised it's Chesnaught this time, I expected Rillaboom first to finish off the Gen 8 trio and then the Kalos trio in a row at the end.

I know I keep saying this whenever they're weak to one of his stabs, but for some reason I have a very good feeling about Iron hands. He has obscenely high HP and decent Def and I highly doubt Chesnaught is going to have any Special attacks and if he does it'll be the equivalent of Hercule attacking Cell. And his Atk is so high that even with max Def investment and none in Atk his Atk is still higher by 1 point (and that's with a neutral nature btw), so even with max Def and HP investment his Atk will still get the boost from Quark Drive. That said, considering HP is already his highest stat you should be able to get away with distributing some points from it to his Atk if you feel he needs to do more damage.

Of course, seeing as how Scarlet is my preferred version I'm gonna need to pick someone else. I suppose I'll give Corviknight a try.

Last edited:

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
This does seem like the easiest thing to solve with Corviknight, Gholdengo, Koraidon… Lurantis might also be able to come back out to play.

I get the sinking feeling that this is just another 7*Mon that becomes Annihilape food.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I can see Rock Tomb being a possible extra move. Decent STAB that lowers Speed.

But yeah, like I said within the OP:

:corviknight:
Corviknight @ Shell Bell
Ability: Mirror Armor
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Iron Defense
- Screech
- Body Press
- Taunt

Pretty straightforward set. Taunt shuts down whatever status move shenanigan Chesnaught would want to go for, then you Iron Defense, Screech, then Body Press your way to victory.

:chesnaught:
Chesnaught @ Black Belt / Sitrus Berry / Shell Bell
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 248 Def / 4 Spe or 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Adamant / Impish Nature
- Swords Dance / Belly Drum / Iron Defense
- Drain Punch / Body Press
- Taunt
- Synthesis / Reflect / Helping Hand / Mud Slap

Ironically, I can see normal Chesnaught being a good counter to the Rock-type boss version of itself. You could go either max Attack with SD / BD + Drain Punch or fully defensive with an Iron Defense + Body Press set. Has other options, too, like Reflect, Mud Slap, and Helping Hand.

OMG yeah didn’t even notice Belly Drum; this is going to be a meta defining raid Mon once we have it… make a little room on the bench Azu and Iron Hands!

I usually go Vital Spirit Annihilape to farm 6* Amoongus for instance but Chestnaught is immune to Spore, Sludge Bomb, and Energy Ball and resists Foul Play on top of Belly Drum Drain Punch. Absolutely ridiculous.

Last edited:
I would not be so confident on using physical attackers here. There is a very high likelihood that Chesnaught will rely on Iron Defense + Body Press, meaning that it will be likely to be constantly buffing its defense while also increasing its damage output.

I would prioritize special attackers in preparations. Alternatively, critical hit strategies with Anger Point Tauros could work if you have a squad to pull it off.

To be fair, if it was a Body Press set, Clear Smog + Giga Drain Amoongus kinda blanks it and can even troll the boss with Effect Spore triggers

To be fair, if it was a Body Press set, Clear Smog + Giga Drain Amoongus kinda blanks it and can even troll the boss with Effect Spore triggers
Amoonguss seems like a decently good pick, although the lack of offensive pressure or set-up moves, aside from Growth, might be an issue.

It could certainly work nicely as a support with Pollen Puff to heal allies as well.

inb4 it's Iron Leaves with "Invisible" stat buffing by lane for this reason.

Real talk though Special Attacking Ghosts seems the way to go just to not deal with one STAB altogether if it does any set-up moves. Gholdengo is easily accessible to go for an OHKO set-up build, might need Metal Sound since Acid Spray is immuned without Skill Swap, and Chesnaught also dumps on our usual AS/Chilling users (Goodra eats Grass but has low Physical Bulk for the other STABs).

Chou Toshio

Over9000
Looking at the special attacking mons, besides Gholdengo, Appletun is the only one that jumps out as impressive to me, so if Chestnaught has a way to power up Ground attacks or ghost/dark attacks enough to threaten our surfer boy, the fat apple might be it.

Wish it had a faster way to power up than growth but apple acid is very appealing move.

Apple Acid/Giga Drain/Recycle/Iron Defense with the Gluttony + Petaya (or Starf for memes?)

:SV/Gholdengo:
Shell Bell
Tera Steel
252 Spec Atk/252 Def/6 HP
Modest Nature

Flash Cannon (Thankfully Bulletproof doesn't block it)
Nasty Plot
Metal Sound
Reflect

Earthquake is a 3HKO without a crit, but thankfully Chesnaught doesn't learn any non stab that is stronger and Ghold's naturally faster so you can safely set up Reflect turn 1 if you decide to go with it (although who's to say he won't have Bulk Up?). Basically, turn 1 use Reflect then afterwards use Metal Sound 3 times. Then if Gholdengo is still alive keep using Flash Cannon until he goes down. Afterwards, use Nasty Plot and don't forget to set up Reflect after it wears off. Now the biggest thing to be concerned about is his Fighting stab while you're Terastallized, especially if he's running Body Press with Iron Defense/Bulk up. So basically you better get rid of that shield quickly because if you don't odds are you're screwed.

Amoonguss seems like a decently good pick, although the lack of offensive pressure or set-up moves, aside from Growth, might be an issue.

It could certainly work nicely as a support with Pollen Puff to heal allies as well.
Yeh I kinda think a lot over fully supportive sets as I both find them more fun to play, and when joining random lobbies it's way more common to run into people playing offensive mons, and on most raids except maybe Intelleon (cause chad based Walking Wake) I've found more success "carrying with support mons" than trying to bruteforce raids.

I'd likely go Giga Drain / Clear Smog / Pollen Puff / Synthesis. Could go Sunny Day instead of Pollen Puff if by any reason one of the scarlet paradoxes ends up being strong for this raid.

For online players, this seems like yet another easy win for Perrserker. Perrserker may be a physical attacker, but with 3 Steely Resolves along with him being able to learn Metal Sound and Ghold learning Nasty Plot Chesnaught will be history in a matter of seconds. Although if Chesnaught raises his Def at the start of battle then goes for Body Press you'd better hope it's not Iron Defense. Even with a Def nature on Chesnaught Perrserker can live a non crit +1 Def Body Press (Although if you invest in Atk rather than HP he only has a slight chance to survive), but at plus 2? Forget it.

HP investment

+1 0+ Def Chesnaught Body Press vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Perrserker: 266-314 (77.3 - 91.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 0+ Def Chesnaught Body Press vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Perrserker: 356-420 (103.4 - 122%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Atk investment

+1 0+ Def Chesnaught Body Press vs. 6 HP / 252 Def Perrserker: 266-314 (94.3 - 111.3%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO
+2 0+ Def Chesnaught Body Press vs. 6 HP / 252 Def Perrserker: 356-420 (126.2 - 148.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

For Appletun, I imagine something like this.

:SV/Appletun:
Shell Bell
Tera Grass
252 Spec Atk/252 Def/6 HP
None of his abilities will help

Apple Acid
Giga Drain
Growth
Iron Defense

Last edited:
Perrserker may be a physical attacker
perrserker-dance.gifperrserker-dance.gifperrserker-dance.gifperrserker-dance.gif

1x
Perrserker @ Choice Specs
Ability: Steely Spirit
Tera Type: Steel
EVs: 140 Def / 252 SpA / 116 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Steel Beam

3x
Perrserker @ Focus Sash
Ability: Steely Spirit
Tera Type: Steel
EVs: 140 HP / 252 Def / 116 Spe
Bold Nature
- Fake Tears

252+ SpA Choice Specs Steely Spirit Perrserker with 3 extra Steely Spirits Steel Beam vs. -6 0 HP / 0 SpD Tera Rock Chesnaught: 10796-12704 (113.5 - 133.5% of 30x hp boss) -- guaranteed OHKO

Edit: so Lurantis seems like a pretty cool mon for solo:

:lurantis:
Lurantis @ Shell Bell / Covert Cloak
Ability: Contrary
Tera Type: Grass
EVs: 152 Def / 200 SpA / 156 Spe
Modest Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Defog
- Synthesis
- Grassy Terrain

The EVs assume it's running Poison Jab, which this set dodges the 2HKO from Adamant, and Covert Cloak prevents Poison. If no Jab, just run 100 Def / 252 SpA / 156 Spe and Shell Bell. Speed hits 165, one point faster than neutral Chesnaught. Defog drops Evasion and allows your limited-PP Leaf Storms to always hit. Grassy Terrain boosts your own Grass-type moves, and while it would boost Chesnaught's, you resist Grass anyway.

The great thing about Lurantis is Contrary counters any speed-dropping strategies Chesnaught might do with Bulldoze, Low Sweep, or Rock Tomb.

Last edited:
I would not be so confident on using physical attackers here. There is a very high likelihood that Chesnaught will rely on Iron Defense + Body Press, meaning that it will be likely to be constantly buffing its defense while also increasing its damage output.

I would prioritize special attackers in preparations. Alternatively, critical hit strategies with Anger Point Tauros could work if you have a squad to pull it off.
I feel like it would be Defense Curl not Iron Defense if they went that route, that way it could interact with Rollout.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)