Mayonnaise

Sijih

game show genius
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
You all know it, you all have an opinion on it. Unless you're from a place where there's no mayonnaise at all, in which case I recommend trying some someday. (And where do you live?)

List your thoughts on/about mayonnaise, commonly referred to as mayo, in this thread.

My thoughts are that it's good on sandwiches with meat in them, in deviled eggs, and sometimes on fries. Beyond that, I'm not really sure about the taste of mayonnaise in anything else. Mayo in salads or casseroles is a hard no for me.

If you feel like you don't have a sufficiently informed opinion about the subject then:
a) When has that ever stopped anyone from posting anything?​
b) Here's some background info and fun facts to get you up to speed:​

It was invented somewhere in France/Spain, and it's made of oil, acid, and egg yolk. In fact, According to "Europe's Federation of the Condiment Sauce Industries", it has to be at least 70% oil and 5% egg yolk. Also, sometimes people get salmonella from eating mayo when the acid isn't acidic enough to kill any of the salmonella which might be in the egg yolk.

Some countries that seem to like it are Chile, France, Spain, the Netherlands, Japan, Russia (the only country in Europe where it's more popular than ketchup), the UK, and America. Each country will have their own spin on the product. French people combine it with mustard to make other, fancier sounding sauces, Japanese people make it with rice vinegar instead of distilled vinegar, and Russians make it with sunflower oil and soybean oil.

The popular brands vary by country:
Chile - Hellman's, Kraft​
France - Lesieur, Bénédicta​
Spain - Ligressa, Hellman's, Calvé​
Netherlands - Remia, Calvé​
Japan - Kewpie​
Russia - Calvé and Sloboda​
UK - Hellman's, Heinz, generic brands stuff like from Tesco is pretty popular too
America - Hellman's (number one best selling condiment in all of America), Heinz​

People will put Mayo on stuff like:
Hotdogs​
Sandwiches with cheese or meat in them​
Fries (in the place where it's pretty common to add mayo they call them chips)​
Salads​
Casseroles​
Deviled eggs​
Coleslaw​
Some seafood stuff like tuna/crab cakes​

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)