Mega-Evolution

Do you like Mega-Evolution?

• Yes, I love everything about it!

Votes: 114 53.5%
  • I like the majority of the designs, I just don't like the concept.

Votes: 32 15.0%
  • I like the concept, I just don't like the majority of the designs.

Votes: 46 21.6%
  • No, I don't like Mega-Evolution very much.

Votes: 21 9.9%

• Total voters
It's worth it. I have two, personally.

The main problem is that Mega Blastoise's ability is near useless for playthroughs as it can only learn one move that works with it through level up: Water Pulse. To get Aura Sphere and Dark Pulse, you have to breed it.

I would be surprised about Gen V Megas since they did say they wanted only older Pokémon to get Mega Evolutions. True, Diancie is getting one, but that might just be more on a promotional point of view (I also wouldn't be surprised about Mega Zygarde for Pokémon Z. Or Mega Zygarde X and Mega Zygarde Y for Pokémon X2 and Pokémon Y2).
Aura Sphere and Dragon Pulse have to be bred on it, but Dark Pulse can be taught to Blastoise as a TM. It comes very late as I believe you need Waterfall to get to it on Route 16, but it's there.

(I also wouldn't be surprised about Mega Zygarde for Pokémon Z. Or Mega Zygarde X and Mega Zygarde Y for Pokémon X2 and Pokémon Y2).
I personally think it will be a Primal Devolution instead, but that is neither here nor there.

Anyways, I think the lore behind Mega Evolution is something that needs to be addressed, or more specifically, Prof. Sycamore's theory on how Mega Evolution came to be. He theorized that Mega Stones were created from the light of the ultimate weapon when it was fired. This brings up two question: 1) Why were the Mega Stones "matched" to a certain Pokemon, and 2) How will this involve Hoenn?

I personally think it will be a Primal Devolution instead, but that is neither here nor there.

Anyways, I think the lore behind Mega Evolution is something that needs to be addressed, or more specifically, Prof. Sycamore's theory on how Mega Evolution came to be. He theorized that Mega Stones were created from the light of the ultimate weapon when it was fired. This brings up two question: 1) Why were the Mega Stones "matched" to a certain Pokemon, and 2) How will this involve Hoenn?
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/WMG/Pokemon

Might be a better place to post that particular discussion :p

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/WMG/Pokemon

Might be a better place to post that particular discussion :p
Maybe, but I think we all knew that this thread would eventually deviate into some different direction. And it definitely seemed like a legitimate at the time.

Man, this thread is hard, because Mega Evolution hits every aspect of the games, and it is hard to know where the line is, as shown by a few previous posts, but I digress.

One thing i wonder about is "How much influence did evolite play a role in the mega selection?". It does feel like they stopped new evolutions due to it in some cases. Sableye, mawile, pinsir.....all of these would have appreciated a regular evo.(how good their megas are is irrelevant)

One thing i wonder about is "How much influence did evolite play a role in the mega selection?". It does feel like they stopped new evolutions due to it in some cases. Sableye, mawile, pinsir.....all of these would have appreciated a regular evo.(how good their megas are is irrelevant)
Eviolite Pinsir new meta

EnGarde

Not Dead Yet
Yeah, the idea of eviolite sableye is pretty scary...and there are a lot of pokemon that were thrust back into the limelight thanks to eviolite, like porygon2.

Its_A_Random

A distant memory
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Yeah okay Mega Evolutions are p cool ingame and can easily stomp most things. My big beef with regards to in-game with Mega Evolutions are the NPC Trainers who use them, mainly they always send them out last irrespective of whether they counter the Pokémon you have out on the field or not. It makes those trainers really predictable and you can easily keep your counter waiting in the wings to just stomp them. Then again that is an issue with the AI and not with Mega Evolutions themselves.

But yeah Mega Evolutions have definitely had an impact on in-game. Just look at the in-game tiering list project I am running. Of the (currently) five entries in S-Tier, four of them are Mega Evolution influenced (As in you can Mega Evolve it before the post-game). One is in A-Tier, one is in B-Tier and the other three obtainable have not been tiered yet (One of which is definitely A-Tier/B-Tier material, idk about the other two). They have warped what is efficient and what is not when it comes to running through in-game and when we start doing in-game tiers for ORAS, I would not be the least bit surprised if Pokémon with Mega Evolutions flooded the higher tiers (Mega Blaziken for starters will probably end up top tier or thereabouts at a glance). I guess Mega Evolutions are here to stay for this generation at least.

I agree with noobcubed, actually. It's an interesting concept, but things like Mega-Mawile, Mega-Gengar, Mega-Pinsir, Mega-Alakazam, Mega-Gardevoir, Mega-Medicham, Mega-Absol, Mega-Abomasnow and, above all, Mega-Banette would all really work better as a new Pokémon entirely. For things like Mega-Aerodactyl where they threw a few spikes on it it doesn't work as well, but the Pokémon listed above all truly look like they could be brand new Pokémon altogether.

What I don't understand is why Smogon doesn't keep the Mega Stones for a certain Pokémon in OU, allowing the base forms of said Pokémon into the lower tiers...
So much playing Pokemon gave them Troll Freak skills.

I guess you can say I was pretty excited about megaevolutions, but rather confused at the same time! u_u It's rather hard to explain, but I was questioning whilst simultaneously loving the concept of it, haha. But regardless, I was and still am (to this day) a good fan of mega-evolutions, as they do give a chance to Pokemon who were previously forgotten and irrelevant (Amphy, Banette, Mawile) a chance to shine once more! Definitely a good move on GF's part, in my opinion. n_n;

Honestly though, for more of a challenge, I wouldn't have minded seeing more of the NPCs having Mega-evolutions other than the E4, Lysandre and your rival. Would've been a heck of a lot more interesting to see them being used in Battle Maison, especially.

Honestly though, for more of a challenge, I wouldn't have minded seeing more of the NPCs having Mega-evolutions other than the E4, Lysandre and your rival. Would've been a heck of a lot more interesting to see them being used in Battle Maison, especially.
From a challenge point, I agree, but from a story point, I disagree. A lot of the early story revolved around the "mysterious" Mega Evolution and what it was. More Trainers with Megas would have countered that part of the story to a degree. Although I one hundred percent agree about the Battle Maison, though.

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
http://www.serebii.net/index2.shtml <-- All credit for these pictures goes here.

Many of you will know of the new Mega-Evolutions. They are Mega-Altaria, Mega-Salamence and Mega-Lopunny. We also have a picture of a woman with Altaria-fluff wrist bands, and a look at shiny Mega-Metagross. I checked with DHR, and as such this thread is going to be revived as a place to talk just about these new mega-evolutions, since the main ORAS thread generally becomes off topic or just a clusterfuck of many on-topic topics. So... What are your thoughts on these new mega-evolutions? I will link the pictures here once I get to a computer.

Personally I don't really like Mega-Altaria. I'm excited that it is Dragon/Fairy, something that I thought Altaria should have switched to last generation herself, and it now even gets Pixilate! This will be great for battling (plus, it is a Dragon Pokemon immune to Dragon attacks! Could see some use in OU or UU as a Dragon counter!). I really don't like its design though. Altaria looks very sleek and graceful. Megataria looks... Sorta like it was left in a cotton candy machine overnight, or something. There's just too much cloud everywhere for it to look sleek or graceful. It is also going to get boosted Attack, but I don't think we know its other type boosts. It looks like Megataria will have a role in the main story though, which I'me excited about as a fan of Altaria itself, because of the woman loosely dressed up as an Altaria in the 5th picture.

Mega-Lopunny is going to be Normal/Fighting with the Scrappy ability. This means it actully has unresisted STAB coverage. It is apparently supposed to be used as a mixed attacker, too, because both of its offensive stats are getting boosted. I personally love how Megapunny looks; it really fits the Fighting-Type. So much so that I predicted it was going to be part-fighting as soon as I saw the design. It looks like it will be our first glass cannon mega, and it is the only mega of the three that I am really excited about.

Mega-Salamence is going to retain its Dragon/Flying typing, but will gain the Aerilate ability. Its competitive strategy will appear to be Intimidate, mega evolve, set up DD, sweep with Return and the occasional Dragon Claw/Outrage. Its design itself is basically Salamence with a huge, razor sharp disk on its back, somewhat reminiscent of the Moon stone's design IIRC. It is largely unchanged, but I find the wings just a little too big. It's a nice idea for Salamence's mega-evo, though. Will probably also be Drake's ace if the E4 are getting mega-evos.

Shiny Mega-Metagross:

So what are your thoughts on these new mega-evolutions? And the old ones at that, if you missed the thread during its first life span. Post below! ^_^

Last edited:
I'm a big fan of Mega Salamence's design. You know how Bagon cherishes the dream of one day being able to fly? Well, it achieves said dream when evolving into Salamence. When undergoing Mega Evolution, however, Salamence can basically remain airborne forever thanks to its further-developed wings being able to support its body, hence why it gets the Aerilate Ability. Also, take note of how Mega Salamence's wings and tail together make a Y-shape and Shiny Mega Metagross has a blue X on its body. Yeah, I'd call this guy a success design-wise. I just want to see it in action in the next official video. As for a tier, Megamence will definitely be Uber, though I'll use the fuck out of it when I can.

Mega Altaria is the most adorable Mega Evolution of them all. Behind that cute exterior lies a potentially strong Pokémon, however, since Dragon/Fairy has 7 resistances and an immunity, but only 4 weaknesses in return. It's got a working special movepool and Pixilate allows Mega Altaria to use moves like Hyper Voice and Return to its advantage. I'm legitimately interested. Estimating UU for this one.

Mega Lopunny looks SO much better than its standard phase and to see it's become Normal/Fighting-type with Scrappy means it'll be able to manhandle a lot of Ghost-types. I wouldn't be surprised if it hits high UU, if not OU.

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
My only problem is with Lopunny.
Which country is Lopunny popular in? I don't think it's popular in Japan. I don't think it's popular in any country neither.

The design also looks very dirty, pressing the limits of what should be included in a kid's game. (Unless they plan to change their target audience, which I don't think it's the case)

I'm a big fan of Mega Salamence's design. You know how Bagon cherishes the dream of one day being able to fly? Well, it achieves said dream when evolving into Salamence. When undergoing Mega Evolution, however, Salamence can basically remain airborne forever thanks to its further-developed wings being able to support its body, hence why it gets the Aerilate Ability.
Best argument ever.

My only problem is with Lopunny.
Which country is Lopunny popular in? I don't think it's popular in Japan. I don't think it's popular in any country neither.

The design also looks very dirty, pressing the limits of what should be included in a kid's game. (Unless they plan to change their target audience, which I don't think it's the case)
Because tights are too dirty for children...?
I don't see how this design is any more 'dirty' than it's original design. And why does popularity matter?

Cresselia~~

Because tights are too dirty for children...?
I don't see how this design is any more 'dirty' than it's original design. And why does popularity matter?
Not tights but torn tights.
Clearly a fetish item.

The staff has always said that popularity was one of the reasons of selecting which Pokemon to Mega, for your information.
I'm sorry if you had missed this somehow.

Clearly a fetish item.

The staff has always said that popularity was one of the reasons of selecting which Pokemon to Mega, for your information.
Keyword - "ONE" of the reasons. It isn't the only reason; they clearly state it's also based on their favourites and Pokémon they just feel need a buff. I don't remember Kangaskhan being a fan favourite, and I definitely never saw a ton of fan groups for Manectric either. Where was all the support for Mawile and Abomasnow back before Gen 6?
A fetish item? Really? Get out and take a look at modern fashion.

Cresselia~~

Keyword - "ONE" of the reasons. It isn't the only reason; they clearly state it's also based on their favourites and Pokémon they just feel need a buff. I don't remember Kangaskhan being a fan favourite, and I definitely never saw a ton of fan groups for Manectric either. Where was all the support for Mawile and Abomasnow back before Gen 6?
A fetish item? Really? Get out and take a look at modern fashion.
Really? Modern fashion of which country?
Could you please enlighten me?

Clearly a fetish item.

Keep in mind, Mega Lopunny is more designed to be a fighter than anything else, while what appears to be ripped tights is actually just striped fur. Don't make such a big fucking deal out of it, thanks.

Cresselia~~

Well, truth is, torn tights are factually treated as fetish item in most East Asian places and I do include Japan for this.
I don't care what Westerners think about torn tights. Maybe it's a clean item in your culture, but not in Japan which was my main point.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)