XY OU Mega Gyarados crunchy team :] (peaked 1703 on the OU-ladder)

What is going on everyone? I'm back again with a brand new RMT for the OU tier this time. I was originally gonna post a RU team, but i changed my mind on the last second and decided to do an OU RMT instead.

First, let's take a quick look at the team :]

When I started building this team, i wanted to use a Landorus-I. I was sick of seeing so many landorus-T on the ladder and decided to use the original Landorus. I also like it, because it can break stall pretty nicely and has crazy power, because of his ability Sheer Force. His moves are Earth Power for STAB, Focus blast for Ferrothorn, Skarmory etc. I have Psychic for Mega Venusaur and Knock off to bait in latias and latios. EVs are standard.

Landorus (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Earth Power
- Focus Blast
- Psychic
- Knock Off

After that, I decided to choose a pokemon that checks threats like keldeo and such. I decided to go with Latias, because it is my favourite defog-user in the tier and checks keldeo very nicely. Landorus also beats what latias threatens (Tyranitar, Heatran). Her moveset and EVs are very standard. Draco Meteor for strong STAB, psyshock for STAB, defog to remove dem hazards and roost to regain some souls.

Latias (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 84 HP / 172 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Roost
- Defog

Next on the list is Breloom. Breloom is such an amazing lead in this meta. It puts a pokemon to sleep, bops talonflame with Rock Tomb or just does nice damage to the opponents team with a strong priority mach punch. It's my universal lead of this team if the opponent doesnt have a grass type or sleep absorber. EVs and moveset is very standard.

Breloom @ Focus Sash
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Spore
- Mach Punch
- Bullet Seed
- Rock Tomb

When you look at this team, there is one weakness that is really big: ice. That's why i decided to choose heatran as my next pokemon. I also needed a Stealth rocker and a Bird-spam check, so it fitted the role perfectly. I decided to go with Specially defensive Heatran, because I already had three offensive pokemon on my team. It is also a great counter for Calm mind Clefable, which could otherwise threaten this team. EVs and moves are standard and i have 40 Speed evs to outspeed base 80s and such.

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 220 SpD / 40 Spe
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Lava Plume
- Roar
- Toxic

Next on the list we have our Mega-Pokemon of this team: Mega-Gyarados. As soon as i saw this thing got Crunch in ORAS i was hyped. I wanted to use it and now i finally can! It does actually sweep teams when i weaken the opponents team first. EVs and moves are standard, though I might change adamant to jolly. Dragon Dance as set up move, waterfall and Crunch for STAB and Earthquake for Rotom wash.

Gyarados @ Gyaradosite
Ability: Intimidate
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Crunch
- Earthquake

Last, but not least, we have Clefable. It might seem weird to have two set-up sweepers on a team, but it actually works pretty well. I love Calm Mind Clefable, because it sets up on so many teams and it counter Mega Sableye, which is a huge threat in this metagame. Calm Mind Clefable gets walled by Heatran, which Mega Gyarados beats. EVs and moves are fairly standard. Moonblast for STAB, Flamethrower to hit Steel types, Softboiled to get back some souls and Calm Mind to set up.

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 252 / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Heal Bell
- Flamethrower
- Moonlight

So... That was the team! I hoped you liked reading all this and PLEASE rate my team. I have put a lot of effort into writing it. It has been fun speaking to you guys and peace!!!

Pastebin: http://pastebin.com/25kw9PQe
~~Geertos~~

Last edited:
Nice team but to avoid confusion please have your pokemon descriptions below the pokemon. That is the norm for all RMTs and I got really confused when I first opened this page and thought that you think Landorus is a Latias. Anyway enough about my formatting issues, onto the rate.

Your team is very solid with very little weaknesses and a difficult to break through FWG + DFS cores. The lack of work you need on your team is astonishing and may account for the lack of replies you have gotten.

Landorus:

Change EVs to 4 Atk / 4 Def or SDef / 252 SpA / 248 Spe (same nature)

There is literally no reason to run max speed Lando-I in the current meta since the only thing it speed ties is Lando-I himself who is not common ATM. Therefore the only speed EVs you need are to outspeed positive base 100s who are also dying out so it may get to a stage when you ned to run very little speed on him. For now though just stick to outspeeding the positive 100s.

Latias:

There is a reason that moveset is standard. There is virtually nothing wrong with it though there is always the option to run a coverage move over psyshock such as HP fire or surf.

Breloom:

Again there is a reason that moveset is standard. This time however you could replace it (maybe) with a life orb or SD set.

Life Orb

Breloom @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Spore
- Mach Punch
- Focus Punch/Rock Tomb
- Bullet Seed

This set is really fun to use and can dent the opponents team early game with it's immediate power while sometimes cleaning up with a powerful Mach punch late game. Focus Punch is a great nuke on predicted switches and after you have used spore. Of course you can be boring and use Rock Tomb instead.

SD

Breloom @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Mach Punch
- Rock Tomb/Spore
- Bullet Seed

Swords Dance Breloom is an effective early game wallbreaker and late game sweeper. At +2 Mach punch reaches incredible power levels being boosted by SD, life orb, STAB, technician and breloom decent attack stat while slower pokemon get annihilated by bullet seed. The choice between spore and rock tomb is an interesting one. On one hand rock tomb helps out against flying types and usefully lowers speed. On the other hand spore is a free set up opportunity.

Heatran:

There is a reason that moveset is stand.... oh wait I've already said that. The only possible changes are using either Protect, Taunt or Earth Power over Roar but that is your choice.

Gyarados:

I have two altenrnatives to your current EV spread.

1. Change nature to jolly and have a spread of 56 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def or SDef / 196 Spe

This spread outspeeds Mega Manectric and Mega Lopunny after 1 Dragon Dance.

2. Change nature to jolly and have a spread of 8 HP / 252 Atk / 248 Spe

This spread is to outspeed Mega Sceptile and Mega Beedrill after 1 Dragon Dance.

Consider these changes, adamant is not really worth it IMO.

Clefable:

Pretty much the only nitpick I have (and I have a lot of them) is that it is important to speed creep opposing Clefable and thus have a higher chance of winning calm mind wars.

This is without a doubt one of the hardest rates I have ever done (your team is just so solid), I hope you take my suggestions into consideration and I wish every success in the future. Peace.

+1 for Jolly on Gyarados. You could also consider Substitute or Taunt over Earthquake to make M-Sableye total set-up bait. Waterfall/Crunch has pretty fantastic coverage. The only things that don't take much from them are things like Keldeo, Chesnaught and Breloom.

Also, Sludge Wave on Lando-I is incredible and should be something to consider, especially if Clefable has proven to be a problem.

I suggest Unaware Clefable over your current Magic Guard Clefable as Clefable will be Forced to switch if Heatean comes in and then all those CMs will go to waste,and unaware allows Your team to check opposing setup sweepers
and if you decide to keep MG Clefable LO>Leftovers

Last edited:
Thanks for rating, guys! I have changed Gyarados already, because i indeed saw that it was better than running adamant. I do really appreciate all your help. Thanks :]

I suggest Unaware Clefable over your current Magic Guard Clefable as Clefable will be Forced to switch if Heatean comes in and then all those CMs will go to waste,and unaware allows Your team to check opposing setup sweepers
and if you decide to keep MG Clefable LO>Leftovers
What ev spread would you suggest on Unaware clefable? I really like the idea, since i already have a set up sweeper in Gyarados.

If you actually choose to leave Magic Guard on Clefable you can consider Life Orb>Leftovers so it can hit hard when Calm Mind isn't viable, Clef doesn't take LO damage and Soft-Boiled provides good recovery anyway.

Edit: Someone suggested this already woops :p

Edit #2: A good Unaware Clefable set that fits well in the team could be imo a physically defensive utility (since Heatran & Lati are quite SpD already)
People usually run wish-protect but I recommend Healing Wish>Recover on Latias and giving Clefable Soft-Boiled. This way Latias can bring back your other pokemon when her time is up, and Clef gets her own recovery to stall out sweepers. T-Wave is mandatory to cripple switch ins and opposing sweepers. Finally Moonblast is the STAB of choice and Heal Bell can bring back a burnt M-Gyarados. I'll leave the set below for your consideration.

Clefable @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Heal Bell
- Thunder Wave
- Soft-Boiled

Last edited:
Damn, this is a brilliant team and I really have little input besides what's already been said. One thing I might recommend though, since you're pretty heavy on the Life Orb users but out of an exceptionally fast hard-hitter (barring Gyara if you manage to set him up) then I'd advise Scarf on your Lando. It lets you outspeed a lot of non-Scarfed threats like Keldeo, Gengar, Megagross as well as revenge-kill pretty efficiently.
Things I agree with as mentioned before: Almost everything You...You... said, Life Orb on Magic Guard Clef. I'd at least advise trying Unaware Clef, Healing Wish Latias and Sub/Taunt on Gyarados to see how they fare. If you're running Sub on Gyara though then I'd pretty much say Healing Wish on Lati should be a staple since Gyara has no recovery to get back the Sub HP he loses if he's forced out; EQ is a good extra answer to Rotoms if Breloom goes down so I'm not sure how strongly I'd feel about dropping it, but it's something to try.
That's all I've got. Brilliant team, man!

Damn, this is a brilliant team and I really have little input besides what's already been said. One thing I might recommend though, since you're pretty heavy on the Life Orb users but out of an exceptionally fast hard-hitter (barring Gyara if you manage to set him up) then I'd advise Scarf on your Lando. It lets you outspeed a lot of non-Scarfed threats like Keldeo, Gengar, Megagross as well as revenge-kill pretty efficiently.
Things I agree with as mentioned before: Almost everything You...You... said, Life Orb on Magic Guard Clef. I'd at least advise trying Unaware Clef, Healing Wish Latias and Sub/Taunt on Gyarados to see how they fare. If you're running Sub on Gyara though then I'd pretty much say Healing Wish on Lati should be a staple since Gyara has no recovery to get back the Sub HP he loses if he's forced out; EQ is a good extra answer to Rotoms if Breloom goes down so I'm not sure how strongly I'd feel about dropping it, but it's something to try.
That's all I've got. Brilliant team, man!
I was thinking about that too, but then i think landorus T would work better, because it has better physical attack and stuff.

Hello, this team looks quite solid :]
However, I do have some suggestions that can make this team better. On Latias, I recommend a different EV spread:

Latias @ Life Orb | Levitate
Timid | 72 HP | 184 SpA | 252 Spe
Draco Meteor | Psyshock | Roost | Defog

This EV spread gives you a Life Orb number, meaning that Latias will take less recoil damage from Life Orb. (You only lose 9% instead of the regular 10%) Believe it or not, this can actually sometimes make a difference! You still maintain decent bulk, while keeping up your damage output. For your Gyarados set, I would recommend running Substitute or Taunt instead of Earthquake. I think you should do this because Earthquake's main job is to hit Rotom-W, and Rotom is easily handled by the rest of your team. By running substitute, you gain more set up opportunities, such as against Mega Sableye, or Ferrothorn lacking Power Whip. It also blocks status and attempts at revenge killing. If you decided to run Taunt, you also can stop status, while also shutting down Pokemon that rely on status moves to beat Gyarados. Both are viable options, however, I like substitute a little bit more, as it can prevent attempts at revenge killing.

This team is also kind of weak to Nasty Plot Thundurus, as it can easily set up on your Landorus-I, Clefable, or Gyarados. (You wouldn't want to leave Lando in on HP Ice, or Gyarados in on Thunderbolt.) Therefore, I recommend changing Magic Guard Clefable to Unaware Clefable. Unaware ignores stat boosts, so you can laugh in Thundurus's face as it tries to boost, only to realize that you are Unaware. Unaware Clefable can also act as a wish passer and cleric to your team. Here is the set that I recommend:

Clefable @ Leftvers | Unaware
Calm | 252 HP | 252 SpD | 4 Def
Moonblast | Wish | Protect | Heal Bell

Mooonblast is Clefable's mandatory STAB move, while Wish allows it to pass wishes to it's teammate, or heal itself with the combination of Wish + Protect. Heal Bell allows Clefable to work as a cleric.

Hope this helps!

Hey there!Solid team overall,I don't think I can say anything that's not already been said.One thing I'd like to add tho,beware of them Scarf Landos,they can really put a dent in your team.
Good luck :]

quick edit:
for your clefable ev's on this page, it just says "EVs: 252 HP / 252 ?????/ 4 SpD" Looking at the pastebin, that should be 252 Def instead of a blank.

also on the pastebin clefable has soft-boiled listed twice:
Clefable @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Soft-Boiled
- Moonblast
- Thunder Wave
- Soft-Boiled

Apart from post clean-up, this is an awesome team, I've won 12 of 14 games so far with it, and I'm excited to see what you do with it in the future

One problem with this team, and that is that soft-boiled + unaware on clefable isn't actually a thing. Or at least, it's not on PO.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)