Mega-Sableye OP?

• Total voters

302-mega.png
385.png
227.png
472.png
663.png
479-wash.png

Hello. This is my first RMT post and for that matter my first Smogon post ever. I decided to put this team up because I feel it has potential, but its not reaching it yet. I actually started making this team as a troll team for a friend, and to test out Mega-Sableye, as it seemed to be a pretty OP Pokemon. Anyways, lets look at my team.

latest

Sableye @ Sablenite
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Recover
- Dark Pulse
- Will-O-Wisp

Sableye is the main star of the team. With its amazing 125/115 defenses, it can really take a few heavy hits. I will usually use it as an anti-hazard pokemon. Calm Mind is two make it bulkier in special defense as well as set it up for a Dark Pulse. Recover is for survivability, as it is the only source to gain back HP. Dark Pulse is the main damage dealer. I used it instead of Shadow Ball because I kept on running into Normal-types that wouldn't go away with burn. Will-O-Wisp is to essentially raise its defense. Less attack means more defense, right? (Replaced 100 SpD and 152 Def to 252 Def)

jirachi.gif

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 224 SpD / 32 Spe
Careful
Nature
- Body Slam
- Iron Head
- Protect
- Wish

This Jirachi is the standard ParaFlinch Jirachi. I also find it as a useful counter to those pesky Fairy-types. It also is used for a switch in for moves that would deal a whole lot of damage otherwise. Nothing special here, just a haxy Jirachi. Body Slam for paralyze, Iron Head for flinch, Protect and Wish to regain health. (Changed EV spreads to this to outspeed some threats, thanks AzureRain for pointing out Quiet mistake :P)

227.gif

Skarmory @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Roost
- Whirlwind
- Brave Bird
- Defog

Replacement for Togekiss. I started noticing that entry hazards were really becoming a problem. Also, setup pokes were also getting in the way. So, I decided to use Skarmory. It is able to use Defog to get rid of entry hazards, and can use Whirlwind to pseudo-haze pokemon. I can also switch this in to deal some damage against not very effective contact moves. Roost is there so it can last longer and Brave Bird is to dish out some damage.

gliscor.gif

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
-Taunt
- Toxic
- Earthquake
Gliscor is my main stall after Mega-Sableye. It's a toxic-stall set, a bit troll-y. I can also use it as a safe switch in against electric or ground-type attacks. Roost is to last a tad bit longer, Fling is to get Toxic on the other pokemon and to get rid of Toxic Orb, Acrobatics as a STAB-Flying move, and EQ for Ground-STAB. (Changed EVs for a more defensive set. Also added Stealth Rock for set up and Taunt for anti-setup)
talonflame.gif

Talonflame @ Sharp Beak
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 88 HP / 252 Atk / 168 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Swords Dance
- Roost

Talonflame is my main sweeper and the only Pokemon who doesn't have a straight status inflicting move. Gale Wind with its amazing ability allows me to use Roost and Brave Bird with priority. Brave Bird is for STAB-Priority, and absolutely wrecks everything. Flare Blitz is used if Brave Bird will hit not very effective or Flare Blitz will be super-effective. Roost is to gain survivabilty, as Talonflame will loose HP in a split second. (Put Sharp Beak to take less damage, Swords Dance is to set up and make more damage)

rotom-wash.gif

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 216 Def / 44 Spe
Bold Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hydro Pump
- Thunder Wave
- Pain Split

Last, but definitely not least is Rotom-Wash. He is a valuable member to the team. As a safe switch-in to ground and water-type attacks, he can really turn the tide to the game. Rotom-W can be switched in if Mega-Sableye is gone and I think they are going for a T-Wave. T-Bolt and Hydro Pump are STAB moves that really pack a punch. Pain Split is the unconventional way of healing and dealing damage. (Put T-Wave instead of Will-O-Wisp as a safeguard against both Charizards)
Sableye @ Sablenite
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Recover
- Dark Pulse
- Will-O-Wisp

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Careful Nature
- Body Slam
- Iron Head
- Protect
- Wish

Skarmory @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Sturdy
Bold Nature
- Roost
- Whirlwind
- Brave Bird
- Defog

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
-Taunt
- Toxic
- Earthquake

Talonflame @ Sharp Beak
EVs: 88 HP / 252 Atk / 168 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Swords Dance
- Roost

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 216 Def / 44 Spe
Bold Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hydro Pump
- Thunder Wave
- Pain Split

Thanks for looking at the post, and feel free to suggest and rate my team!​

Last edited:
-.- This is the kind of team I hate playing against :P

At first glance some of your EV spreads seem kind of weird.

Sableye: I'm not quite sure that running a mixed defensive spread is the best idea, as you're losing out on valuable defensive bulk, while not adding enough to SpDef to make it seem worthwhile (Mega Diancie has like 81% chance to OHKO even with 100 SpDef investment). You can also easily boost your Special defense with Calm Mind anyway. I'd move all the SpDef investment back into Def.

Jirachi: I'm assuming you made an error in your Nature, there is no reason to be running Quiet (+SpA -Spe). Your set also looks rather strange to me. Your EVs are more useful for a Scarfed Jirachi, but your moveset and item imply it's supposed to be the Specially Defensive set. I would suggest the Specially Defensive set, seeing as you already have 3 defensive walls in Sableye, Gliscor, and Rotom-W.

Togekiss: Another rather odd spread/moveset. If you want the Stallbreaker set, run max Speed to make sure you can ParaFlinch successfully (no point if you get outsped by the other mon and they can OHKO you). You could also consider running Heal Bell or Nasty Plot in place of Dazzling Gleam, seeing as Dazzling Gleam is pretty niche anyway.

Gliscor: Again, don't mix sets. In this case I don't think the Fling/Acro set works very well on the team to be honest, seeing as you said it's supposed to be toxic stall. Fling only works once, and then you can't actually use it again (cause you've already thrown your item). Either go the SpDef set or the full Physically Def set.

Talonflame: Your spread and moves are more for a Choice Banded set. If you don't want to lock yourself into a move, I would suggest a faster spread to allow you to outspeed Raikou. As well, Life Orb is not really a great item for Talonflame, as it tends to rack up hazard damage and recoil damage really quickly, and there are very few Pokemon it can Roost safely against. U-Turn is better for a Banded set, but then you could probably replace Roost with Tailwind as a last ditch effort. For a non-banded set, where you'd probably run Sharp Beak/Sky Plate, a Swords Dance Roost set is probably better.

I'll leave some sets I mentioned above down below for you to try. I apologize if I sound like an ass in this post, but mixing sets that have completely different playstyles in mind doesn't tend to work out very well (trust me, I've done it before :P).

latest

Sableye @ Sablenite
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Recover
- Dark Pulse
- Will-O-Wisp

jirachi.gif

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Careful Nature
- Iron Head
- Body Slam
- Wish
- Protect
You outspeed Jolly Tyranitar and Adamant Bisharp with this speed investment.

togekiss.gif

Togekiss @ Leftovers
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
-Air Slash
-Dazzling Gleam/Heal Bell/Nasty Plot
-Thunder Wave
-Roost

gliscor.gif

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
EVs: 244 HP / 192 SpD / 72 Spe
Careful Nature
- Taunt
- Roost
- Knock Off/Toxic
- Earthquake/Knock Off
Specially defensive set

OR

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Roost/Taunt
- Toxic
- Earthquake
Defensive set

talonflame.gif

Talonflame @ Sharp Beak
EVs: 88 HP/ 252 Atk / 168 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Swords Dance
- Roost
Swords Dance set (speed investment allows you to outspeed Timid Raikou).

OR

Talonflame @ Choice Band
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- U-turn
- Tailwind
Banded set

AzureRain said:
-.- This is the kind of team I hate playing against :P

At first glance some of your EV spreads seem kind of weird.

Sableye: I'm not quite sure that running a mixed defensive spread is the best idea, as you're losing out on valuable defensive bulk, while not adding enough to SpDef to make it seem worthwhile (Mega Diancie has like 81% chance to OHKO even with 100 SpDef investment). You can also easily boost your Special defense with Calm Mind anyway. I'd move all the SpDef investment back into Def.

Jirachi: I'm assuming you made an error in your Nature, there is no reason to be running Quiet (+SpA -Spe). Your set also looks rather strange to me. Your EVs are more useful for a Scarfed Jirachi, but your moveset and item imply it's supposed to be the Specially Defensive set. I would suggest the Specially Defensive set, seeing as you already have 3 defensive walls in Sableye, Gliscor, and Rotom-W.

Togekiss: Another rather odd spread/moveset. If you want the Stallbreaker set, run max Speed to make sure you can ParaFlinch successfully (no point if you get outsped by the other mon and they can OHKO you). You could also consider running Heal Bell or Nasty Plot in place of Dazzling Gleam, seeing as Dazzling Gleam is pretty niche anyway.

Gliscor: Again, don't mix sets. In this case I don't think the Fling/Acro set works very well on the team to be honest, seeing as you said it's supposed to be toxic stall. Fling only works once, and then you can't actually use it again (cause you've already thrown your item). Either go the SpDef set or the full Physically Def set.

Talonflame: Your spread and moves are more for a Choice Banded set. If you don't want to lock yourself into a move, I would suggest a faster spread to allow you to outspeed Raikou. As well, Life Orb is not really a great item for Talonflame, as it tends to rack up hazard damage and recoil damage really quickly, and there are very few Pokemon it can Roost safely against. U-Turn is better for a Banded set, but then you could probably replace Roost with Tailwind as a last ditch effort. For a non-banded set, where you'd probably run Sharp Beak/Sky Plate, a Swords Dance Roost set is probably better.

I'll leave some sets I mentioned above down below for you to try. I apologize if I sound like an ass in this post, but mixing sets that have completely different playstyles in mind doesn't tend to work out very well (trust me, I've done it before :P).

latest
Sableye @ Sablenite
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Recover
- Dark Pulse
- Will-O-Wisp

jirachi.gif
Jirachi @ Leftovers
Careful Nature
- Iron Head
- Body Slam
- Wish
- Protect
You outspeed Jolly Tyranitar and Adamant Bisharp with this speed investment.

togekiss.gif
Togekiss @ Leftovers
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
-Air Slash
-Dazzling Gleam/Heal Bell/Nasty Plot
-Thunder Wave
-Roost

gliscor.gif
Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
EVs: 244 HP / 192 SpD / 72 Spe
Careful Nature
- Taunt
- Roost
- Knock Off/Toxic
- Earthquake/Knock Off
Specially defensive set

OR

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Roost/Taunt
- Toxic
- Earthquake
Defensive set

talonflame.gif
Talonflame @ Sharp Beak
EVs: 88 HP/ 252 Atk / 168 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Swords Dance
- Roost
Swords Dance set (speed investment allows you to outspeed Timid Raikou).

OR

Talonflame @ Choice Band
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- U-turn
- Tailwind
Banded set

Don't worry AzureRain, you don't sound like an ass XD. Anyways thanks for the response I appreciate it.

mhmh like most team u need a better answer to rain. kingdra and pert puts in some wrk. for pert u only have rotom which is soo much pressure and kingdra u dont really have much. also mega gyrados can put in some wrk on ur team. basically u have a water weakness r/n. you should also replace dazzling gleam with defog on ur team just incase rocks get up somehow with like a modbrealker drill (thats pretty rare) but defog should be on togekiss since u might not lead with sab every game and if ur oppent gets up rock there here to stay.

Hi

It looks like an overall solid team, but both Charizards, Mixed Thundurus-I, and HP Ice Landorus-I look like they can be really problemsome.

Zard-X can use Rotom-W and Sableye as safe set-up fodder. Your best answers to Zard-X are Gliscor and hoping to Revenge-kill with Talonflame. You really need defog on something, especially since you run Talonflame. Even if you run Mega-Sableye, a good opponent can still find a way to get up rocks.

+1 252+ Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Gliscor: 265-313 (74.8 - 88.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Poison Heal

So, if you have even a bit of prior damage, Zard X will slaughter at least one member of the tea.

To somewhat alleviate this issue, you can try running T-Wave on Rotom-Wash over Wisp, which gives Zard-X one less thing to safely set-up on.

Zard-Y is a much bigger problem, as even without rocks, it still murders the best answer/switch-ins you have, which are Talonflame and Togekiss

252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Fire Blast vs. 88 HP / 0 SpD Talonflame in Sun: 212-250 (66.4 - 78.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Togekiss in Sun: 279-328 (89.7 - 105.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

I don't really know how you would face down Mega-Zard Y actually, just pray you don't run into it, or try to stall out Sun so you can go to Rotom-W wihout fearing the Solarbeam.

Landorus-I doesn't even really need to run HP-Ice because of how Physically Defensive Gliscor is.

To help deal with these threats, I would highly consider replacing Togekiss. Talonflame deals nicely with opposing Mega-Sableye. In fact, the best Mega-Sableye teams tend to follow a specific format, and I would highly suggest you read this article.

http://www.smogon.com/smog/issue39/sableye-stalling-ou

aPandaCub said:
Hi

It looks like an overall solid team, but both Charizards, Mixed Thundurus-I, and HP Ice Landorus-I look like they can be really problemsome.

Zard-X can use Rotom-W and Sableye as safe set-up fodder. Your best answers to Zard-X are Gliscor and hoping to Revenge-kill with Talonflame. You really need defog on something, especially since you run Talonflame. Even if you run Mega-Sableye, a good opponent can still find a way to get up rocks.

+1 252+ Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Gliscor: 265-313 (74.8 - 88.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Poison Heal

So, if you have even a bit of prior damage, Zard X will slaughter at least one member of the tea.

To somewhat alleviate this issue, you can try running T-Wave on Rotom-Wash over Wisp, which gives Zard-X one less thing to safely set-up on.

Zard-Y is a much bigger problem, as even without rocks, it still murders the best answer/switch-ins you have, which are Talonflame and Togekiss

252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Fire Blast vs. 88 HP / 0 SpD Talonflame in Sun: 212-250 (66.4 - 78.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Togekiss in Sun: 279-328 (89.7 - 105.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

I don't really know how you would face down Mega-Zard Y actually, just pray you don't run into it, or try to stall out Sun so you can go to Rotom-W wihout fearing the Solarbeam.

Landorus-I doesn't even really need to run HP-Ice because of how Physically Defensive Gliscor is.

To help deal with these threats, I would highly consider replacing Togekiss. Talonflame deals nicely with opposing Mega-Sableye. In fact, the best Mega-Sableye teams tend to follow a specific format, and I would highly suggest you read this article.

http://www.smogon.com/smog/issue39/sableye-stalling-ou

Thanks APandaCub for your input. I changed Will-O-Wisp to T-Wave and completely scrapped Togekiss. Also, thanks for the link. I didn't even know it existed :P

You'll need to run Jolly Nature on Talonflame to be able to outspeed Raikou. Also I do agree with Thundurus-I and Charizard Y being huge threats to the team. An option would be to run Latias over Skarmory, as neither of the mentioned threats can 2HKO (unless Thundurus is running Knock Off), and you can threaten to deal some nice damage with Psyshock/Draco Meteor. Latias can run Defog as well, so you won't be losing out on hazard control.

Last edited:
After testing out the team for a while, I realized that Skarmory was a bad fit. I am currently trying to find out which Lati@s to use. Thanks AzureRain for bringing that up!

Hi Konaspy. Since the main goal of your team looks like stalling someone out with Mega-Sableye and then accumulating boosts, I would suggest ditching Gliscor and replacing it with Hippowdown. Hippowdown is a great stop to Charizard X as well has most Thundurus, barring Nasty Plot HP Ice. I would hen also suggest using Latias over Latios, primarily because your team is more defensivively oriented.

After testing out the team for a while, I realized that Skarmory was a bad fit. I am currently trying to find out which Lati@s to use. Thanks AzureRain for bringing that up!
Hi Konaspy. Since the main goal of your team looks like stalling someone out with Mega-Sableye and then accumulating boosts, I would suggest ditching Gliscor and replacing it with Hippowdown. Hippowdown is a great stop to Charizard X as well has most Thundurus, barring Nasty Plot HP Ice. I would hen also suggest using Latias over Latios, primarily because your team is more defensivively oriented.

I would definitely agree with using Latias as suggested by aPandaCub. Sorry about the inconsistency, my original intention was Latias, not Latios, but I just noticed I accidentally made a spelling error and mentioned both in my last post. Latios is not as bulky as Latias, and has a chance to be 2HKOed by Thundurus if I remember correctly.

Your team looks very solid now, but I would suggest using U-turn over Protect on Jirachi. Jirachi can take a lot of hits anyway, and U-turn helps with momentum. If you don't want to use U-turn, Fire Punch is also a good choice.

Well, it is sure nice to see a stall team again. I would have rated it earlier but you didn't tag me LOL.

Talonflame @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpD / 8 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Taunt
- Bulk-Up / Will-O-Wisp
- Roost

Here is a stall set

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb