ORAS OU Mega Steelix Stall

Hello, this will be my first proper post and first RMT on Smogon. I have been playing competitively since DPP and was in the Youtube scene for a while and have always enjoyed making teams. When Pokemon transitioned from DS to 3DS, I had a little break from Pokemon and missed most of the BW meta up untill near the end. While I considered myself good with DPP team building, I feel I could use some work in the new ORAS metagame. Here is my first real attempt at making a solid ORAS team.

Steelix @ Steelixite
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 244 HP / 252 Atk / 12 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Heavy Slam
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock

I feel like Mega Steelix gets no love and I wanted to try build a team that is capable of using Steelix to its fullest potential. This is the set that I feel works best. Mega Steelix hits like a truck and is my answer to Pinsir, Bisharp, and alot of trick users such as Jirachi, and Latios/as. I run 12 Speed to get the jump on Slowbro and Amoonguss. The one thing I don't like about this set is having to use stealth rock on it which I feel wastes a turn where I could do some big damage if I'm in sand.

Hippowdon @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Slack Off
- Earthquake
- Ice Fang
- Whirlwind

Hippowdon's main purpose is obviously sand stream and it's also my check to Manectric and Lando-i who would run over my team otherwise (which is why I have stealth rocks on Steelix). Whirlwind for CM Clef and sub Gengar which can be annoying for my team.

Ferrothorn @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 48 Def / 208 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Leech Seed
- Spikes
- Power Whip
- Gyro Ball

Ferrothorns purpose is to set up spikes and is my answer to rain teams and volt-turn. Conidering I have no spinner on my team I feel like rocky helmet is the best option for an item to chip away at u-turn users like jirachi and lando-t. I always run 2 attacks on ferrothorn to hurt Lati's and Azu/Gyara - I dont feel that I need protect that much.

Suicune @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Roar
- Scald

Much needed fire resist and CM Keldeo check, also nice bait for volt turn users to get a switch into Steelix which is quite hard to achieve in this meta. I chose Suicune over Slowbro because I feel that Pressure, roar, and no bug weakness are more important than a fighting resist.

shoutout to chimpact where i got the nice cune/hippo/ferro core

Tornadus-Therian (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 212 HP / 128 SpD / 168 Spe
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Knock Off
- Taunt
- Toxic

My answer for stallbreakers like Gliscor and Mew, one of my 2 fighting resists on the team and a good pivot. Speed is 352 to scare Mega Gallade which is a problem for me. It's also nice for getting Steelix into the battle, as it lures in things like Ice and Electric types which Steelix can handle.

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Heal Bell
- Moonblast

Final fighting resist and wish passer/cleric for the team. Also one of my best answers to BD Azumarill. Heal bell for healing Ferrothorn who will be taking most of the scalds and healing Hippowdon of toxic/lava plumes burn from Heatran.

Thanks for viewing my team, please leave any feedback you think would help make it better!​

Interesting team you have here. With that being said… you do have some rather odd selections here. First and foremost, I would drop Tornadus-T and Ferrothorn as between its awkward feel (Tornadus-T) and multiplying weaknesses and lack of speed with Steelix (Ferrothorn) I feel that these two need to go. With that said, here’s who I would substitute in place of these two:

1. Chandelure @ Focus Sash
EV: 252 SpA / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Ability: Flash Fire
Modest Nature
IV: 0 Atk
- Memento
- Trick Room
- Shadow Ball
- Fire Blast

The reasoning behind this is two-fold. Seeing as how the bane of Steelix’s existence appears to be fire and fighting weaknesses (along with others but focusing on these two especially) Chandelure appears to be the perfect partner for this as Flash Fire and its Ghost typing make her Immune to both of these attacks (barring Scrappy Lopunny… that B!TCH). Since you are using an offensively oriented Steelix with with Max Bulk and Attack+, it only seems right to “attempt” to set up a TR. Memento is here to allow you to buy time to set-up, especially when combined with Focus Sash as this gives you a RUDE way of getting off the Memento and shifting the Momentum (PUN ALERT!!!). Otherwise, after you drop the Trick Room you can go into Steelix and go BEAST MODE (AKA Mega) and start REKTing opposing mons. Alternately, Fire Blast hits like a Truck to anything that doesn’t resist it and Shadow Ball is amazingly spammable and does copious amounts of damage to good chunks of the meta who are ignorant enough to forgot just how brolic Chandy is…
252+ SpA Chandelure Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-T: 187-222 (48.9 - 58.1%) -- 61.3% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Chandelure Shadow Ball vs. 0 HP / 0- SpD Landorus: 210-247 (65.8 - 77.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Chandelure Shadow Ball vs. 80 HP / 0 SpD Manaphy: 156-184 (43.2 - 50.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Chandelure Shadow Ball vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Swampert: 144-171 (42.2 - 50.1%) -- 0.4% chance to 2HKO
252+ SpA Chandelure Shadow Ball vs. 144 HP / 0 SpD Mega Charizard X: 178-211 (53.4 - 63.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Chandelure Shadow Ball vs. 92 HP / 0 SpD Azumarill: 187-222 (51.3 - 60.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Chandelure Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Clefable: 169-201 (42.8 - 51%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Chandelure Shadow Ball vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Keldeo: 169-201 (52.3 - 62.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Chandelure Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Rotom-W: 147-174 (48.3 - 57.2%) -- 41% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Chandelure Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 36 SpD Sylveon: 121-144 (30.7 - 36.5%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

2. Excadrill @ Life Orb
EV: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Ability: Sand Rush
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Rockslide
- Swords Dance
- Rapid Spin

If you really want to abuse sand, since your team lacked hazard removal, why not go with the Gen V Sand Assassin himself. Excadrill outruns EVERYTHING in the sand and after a Chandelure Memento. You can get off a SD and go YOLO on the opponent. Not quite EdgeQuake, but EQ will be your primary engine of destruction once you get off an SD Boost as “SD + LO + EQ = DEATH!!!” (Note: I am copyrighting this formula!!!) Rapid Spin is for the removal of hazards on your side of the field, though most of your mons don’t really fear SR as much but still, losing damage on a switch adds up really fast. Yes, relatively speaking Excadrill has the same weaknesses as Ferrothorn with Fire and Fighting. However, Exca is FAR from passive and is an excellent member to the team.
Last two points: change Roar < Calm Mind on Suicune as with Unaware Clefable on your team, this seems redundant and you ar passing up a possible win condition here. And second, Hippowdon’s item needs to change from Leftovers to Smooth Rock. At this point, if you incorporate these suggestions you running a TR Sand Team… with the emphasis on Sand to accomplish one of two win conditions. (1) Sweep with Sand Rush Exca OR (2) Sweep with Sand Force Steelix. Technically you do have a THIRD win condition in Crocune but that’s only if the first two somehow don’t get accomplished.

If you really want to look outside the box: here one last “standing on the thin branches” suggestion:
Celebi @ Smooth Rock
EV: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Ability: Natural Cure
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- U-Turn
- Sandstorm
- Healing Wish

Thanks to the combination of power and pivoting this set provides makes this set viable alone. Throw in a surprise Sandstorm and then all of a sudden… your pivoting into a behemoth like M-Steelix who now has the time needed to thrash the opponent since it comes in on a U-Turn or, conversely, you can HW into Steelix to remove both status and bring him in at Full Health to provide a second chance to annihilate the opponent. Celebi conveniently completes the FWG Core alongside Suicune and Chandelure so that’s an added bonus while thanks to Leaf Storm you can OHKO Pysically Defensive Rotom-W who would otherwise make your team wince, especially if CroCune is down for the count.

These are my thoughts. Hope I’ve been helpful in anyway as trying to build around mega Steelix is quite the task.

Interesting team you have here. With that being said… you do have some rather odd selections here. First and foremost, I would drop Tornadus-T and Ferrothorn as between its awkward feel (Tornadus-T) and multiplying weaknesses and lack of speed with Steelix (Ferrothorn) I feel that these two need to go. With that said, here’s who I would substitute in place of these two:

1. Chandelure @ Focus Sash
EV: 252 SpA / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Ability: Flash Fire
Modest Nature
- Memento
- Trick Room
- Shadow Ball
- Fire Blast

The reasoning behind this is two-fold. Seeing as how the bane of Steelix’s existence appears to be fire and fighting weaknesses (along with others but focusing on these two especially) Chandelure appears to be the perfect partner for this as Flash Fire and its Ghost typing make her Immune to both of these attacks (barring Scrappy Lopunny… that B!TCH). Since you are using an offensively oriented Steelix with with Max Bulk and Attack+, it only seems right to “attempt” to set up a TR. Memento is here to allow you to buy time to set-up, especially when combined with Focus Sash as this gives you a RUDE way of getting off the Memento and shifting the Momentum (PUN ALERT!!!). Otherwise, after you drop the Trick Room you can go into Steelix and go BEAST MODE (AKA Mega) and start REKTing opposing mons. Alternately, Fire Blast hits like a Truck to anything that doesn’t resist it and Shadow Ball is amazingly spammable and does copious amounts of damage to good chunks of the meta who are ignorant enough to forgot just how brolic Chandy is…
252+ SpA Chandelure Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-T: 187-222 (48.9 - 58.1%) -- 61.3% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Chandelure Shadow Ball vs. 0 HP / 0- SpD Landorus: 210-247 (65.8 - 77.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Chandelure Shadow Ball vs. 80 HP / 0 SpD Manaphy: 156-184 (43.2 - 50.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Chandelure Shadow Ball vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Swampert: 144-171 (42.2 - 50.1%) -- 0.4% chance to 2HKO
252+ SpA Chandelure Shadow Ball vs. 144 HP / 0 SpD Mega Charizard X: 178-211 (53.4 - 63.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Chandelure Shadow Ball vs. 92 HP / 0 SpD Azumarill: 187-222 (51.3 - 60.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Chandelure Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Clefable: 169-201 (42.8 - 51%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Chandelure Shadow Ball vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Keldeo: 169-201 (52.3 - 62.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Chandelure Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Rotom-W: 147-174 (48.3 - 57.2%) -- 41% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Chandelure Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 36 SpD Sylveon: 121-144 (30.7 - 36.5%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

2. Excadrill @ Life Orb
EV: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Ability: Sand Rush
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Rockslide
- Swords Dance
- Rapid Spin

If you really want to abuse sand, since your team lacked hazard removal, why not go with the Gen V Sand Assassin himself. Excadrill outruns EVERYTHING in the sand and after a Chandelure Memento. You can get off a SD and go YOLO on the opponent. Not quite EdgeQuake, but EQ will be your primary engine of destruction once you get off an SD Boost as “SD + LO + EQ = DEATH!!!” (Note: I am copyrighting this formula!!!) Rapid Spin is for the removal of hazards on your side of the field, though most of your mons don’t really fear SR as much but still, losing damage on a switch adds up really fast. Yes, relatively speaking Excadrill has the same weaknesses as Ferrothorn with Fire and Fighting. However, Exca is FAR from passive and is an excellent member to the team.
Last two points: change Roar < Calm Mind on Suicune as with Unaware Clefable on your team, this seems redundant and you ar passing up a possible win condition here. And second, Hippowdon’s item needs to change from Leftovers to Smooth Rock. At this point, if you incorporate these suggestions you running a TR Sand Team… with the emphasis on Sand to accomplish one of two win conditions. (1) Sweep with Sand Rush Exca OR (2) Sweep with Sand Force Steelix. Technically you do have a THIRD win condition in Crocune but that’s only if the first two somehow don’t get accomplished.

If you really want to look outside the box: here one last “standing on the thin branches” suggestion:
Celebi @ Smooth Rock
EV: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Ability: Natural Cure
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- U-Turn
- Sandstorm
- Healing Wish

Thanks to the combination of power and pivoting this set provides makes this set viable alone. Throw in a surprise Sandstorm and then all of a sudden… your pivoting into a behemoth like M-Steelix who now has the time needed to thrash the opponent since it comes in on a U-Turn or, conversely, you can HW into Steelix to remove both status and bring him in at Full Health to provide a second chance to annihilate the opponent. Celebi conveniently completes the FWG Core alongside Suicune and Chandelure so that’s an added bonus while thanks to Leaf Storm you can OHKO Pysically Defensive Rotom-W who would otherwise make your team wince, especially if CroCune is down for the count.

These are my thoughts. Hope I’ve been helpful in anyway as trying to build around mega Steelix is quite the task.

The title of the rmt says mega steelix stall, and the chandy and exca sets you listed are terrible for this type of playstyle. Also, I feel like he needs torn-t for mew, who is a pain in the ass to this team. Sure chandelure can help with mew, but knock off + stealth rock damage prevents switchins.

Well, someone has to say it and it won't be liked but, M-Steelix is outclassed by M-Aggron.
Also, Milotic can fit the same job as Suicune

Milotic @ Leftovers
Ability: Marvel Scale boosted Def while sleeping.
EVs: 108 HP / 200 Def / 200 SpD
Modest/Bold/Whatever Nature
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Dragon Tail.
- Scald

Last edited:
make your torn-t have hurricane and switch hippo for politoad because rain on this team> sand. sand legit gives you no benifits

make your torn-t have hurricane and switch hippo for politoad because rain on this team> sand. sand legit gives you no benifits
Actually steelix mega benefits from the sand since its ability is sand force so why forfeit that and use drizzle which gives a boost to steelix's counters?

Rafael J. Feliciano While I do love using memento and understand that Chandelure fits nicely being immune to fire and fighting, Invok3r pretty much explains why I wouldn't want to add that set to my team. I also prefer to keep my pokemon alive while playing with this team. Celebi on the other hand - I like it and might add something similar to the team in the future, as it brings nice utility.

Houndoomite Mega Steelix definitely isn't outclassed by Mega Aggron, main reasons being it has an immunity to volt switch being able to stop voltturn and it hits like a truck in sand. Some examples for you:

-1 252+ Atk Sand Force Steelix Heavy Slam (120 BP) vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Landorus-T in Sand: 141-166 (37 - 43.5%)
252+ Atk Sand Force Steelix Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 212+ Def Rotom-W in Sand: 107-127 (35.1 - 41.7%)
252+ Atk Sand Force Steelix Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Slowbro in Sand: 153-181 (38.8 - 45.9%) -- 19.9% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock, sandstorm damage, and Leftovers recovery

Thanks for all the rates so far

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)