Pet Mod Megamax (Quick Update @ Post #432)

What should the format for Megamax be?

• Stay National Dex

Votes: 7 29.2%
  • Regional Dex OU with all Megas of available Pokemon being around

Votes: 4 16.7%
  • Regional Dex OU with only converted Gigantamaxes existing

Votes: 13 54.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
It's been quiet for a bit, and with the Open drawing to a close soon (hopefully)...

What's Next For Megamax?
Cinderace Sprite
Cinderace Sprite

Cinderace is probably the most controversial Pokemon in this format as of now, with two unique problems. First off there's the matter of if the base form is balanced or not in this format with Pokemon such as Mega Centiskorch existing. In addition even if does stick around the Mega is notably underpowered and tweaking it will require some caution.

Corviknight Sprite

Mega Corviknight has also been discussed a lot for opposite reasons. It is currently one of 3 Megas designed for and banned to Ubers, but many think that with the base form not being near the pinnacle of relevance in OU it was at when the Mega was designed that it might be worth giving it a chance in the main Megamax format as another defensive mon in a tier that could use a few more. That said whether its fine as is or could use some nerfing to fit better in the modified OU environment remains to be seen.

Finally, there will the matter of testing the newly buffed mons and possibly getting out another VR update or two. The timing of these is uncertain.

What do you guys think of the Cinderace and Corviknight situations? I'd like to hear more to decide what do with them, a formal discussion if you will.

Just my opinion on these situations,

Mega Corviknight would be a welcome addition for the tier in my opinion, adding a defensive mega in an offensively dominant metagame. Its stats are fine, however, Heatproof needs to be replaced. With Flying/Steel being one of the best defensive typings in the game, removing one of its only two weaknesses is too much. By gaining back its Fire weakness, Mega Corviknight could be balanced enough by being checked by the tier's numerous Fire types such as Mega Coalossal, Charizard, and Alolan Marowak. Even with a semi-useless ability such as Big Pecks, Mega Corviknight would still be good thanks to the combination of its stats, typing, and movepool. Its huge bulk increase sets it apart from base Corviknight, meaning it's not outclassed by its base form similar to Slowbro and Mega Slowbro.

I don't have a strong opinion on base Cinderace (I'm fine either way), bit if we're going to buff Mega Cinderace, it has to be for Ubers. Same reason on how Mega Corviknight is currently Uber: its base form is currently already top tier in OU. Creating an OU mega for Cinderace would have to walk the fine line of being balanced for OU while standing out from Libero Cinderace. Plus, if Cinderace gets banned from Megamax OU then its mega is going to Ubers anyway.

Umm this might be off topic, but I was wondering if I could use these megas in a game I am making. Whose permission would I need to obtain? I personally am a huge fan of this mod, it's a shame more people don't play it.

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
Umm this might be off topic, but I was wondering if I could use these megas in a game I am making. Whose permission would I need to obtain? I personally am a huge fan of this mod, it's a shame more people don't play it.
That would be me! You can go right ahead and add these in your fangame. Just include a shoutout to "the Megamax Pet Mod and its contributors on Smogon" or something to that effect and you're good.

earl

(EVIOLITE COMPATIBLE)
is a Community Contributor
Some opinions:

Please, please don't drop this. Corviknight does kind of suck here because of the Coalossal meta, but the second people figure out that Sandaconda is the true best mega it will come back. Regardless, while more defensive megas is a cool idea, I don't think it should be done by buffing a mon thats already viable.

I'm of the opinion to still keep it banned- With Coalossal forcing strong fire resists onto teams, this thing actually gets better as it can get around most of the better Coal checks (slowtwins, pex sortof, etc) and I'm generally sick of Fire-types. For its mega, it will either be ass or gamebreaking so I think this problem mon should be kept out of here for the time being.

Some megas I think are ass:

This mon is so fucking stinky. Run the calcs sometime, its a worse urshifu with hustle accuracy. I think this mon needs a full overhaul or at least a significant buff/nerf (dropping hustle), but at the moment its just a terrible, terrible pick.
TL;DR: Slate it

I kind of like this mon as is, being a faster defensive fairy compared to clef, but if it truly wants to succeed in that niche it needs to be faster than Duraludon so it can switch in, even on Flash Cannon, and then outspeed and OHKO with Moonblast. Also maybe replace Stockpile with a better move, like Stealth Rock or Knock Off so it can have at least a shred of the utility Clef has? Just a thought.
TL;DR: At least +2 Speed, -Stockpile +Stealth Rock/Knock Off/Spikes/Whatever

Idk if this needs a buff or anything, but I believe Defiant is hurting this thing's viability. The fact that it can't come in on Mandibuzz' Defog simply because it will die to the Foul Play that follows is just so, so unfortunate in this meta. In a vacuum this thing should work but when it goes from hazard deterrent to Defog bait simply because the best hazard control in the meta appears in team preview isn't a good look. Might be worth looking at, I really like the concept of Copper Mines but this thing invites the best remover in and base copper stinks. Give it like Stamina or something.
TL;DR: Defiant is not good in Mandibuzz zone. Change it maybe.

I love the fact that this is the fastest mon in the meta, I just think it needs a bit of tuning to really make it work. Make the Poison and Psychic coverage Special instead of Physical (Sludge Bomb, Psychic, Shell Side Arm if you're feeling creative), siphon some of the Attack into Special Attack, give it Calm Mind for flavor and boosting, and change the ability to something, anything more appealing than crit fishing. Like Neuroforce or something, idk it keeps the sniper flavor by hitting weak spots.
TL;DR: -Old Moves, +Psychic, Sludge Bomb, Calm Mind, -10 Atk +10 SpA, -Deep Focus, +Neuroforce or smth

This thing is a mess of a concept. Theoretically, a flex mega should be a sidegrade to the existing base form and have appealing surprise factor. While this mega does nuke Amoonguss out of existence, it still loses to Tang and Head Smash on base form (Banded Head Smash is virtually as strong- STAB and Band equal out, all u get is the extra attack) makes it around the Flyings regardless. Makes it really hard to justify using this when the combo of Base Rilla+Coalossal does that same while keeping Grassy Terrain around. Surprise factor is cool but not enough. I think it needs to radically change its matchup spread to really work as a flex mega. This was a really long way of saying "full rework". also it doesn't make sense how does this guy head smash he fused with a massive drum set
TL;DR: Slate the musical jungle

I fail to see the appeal of this mega. It's slow, lacks recovery, and mono-poison isn't really worth much in the current meta. If it had some sort of way to counter Urshifu (secondary typing/bulk boost+smth like spiky shield to stall Wicked Blow? Fairy works as a flavor type with the toys lol) or had a secondary steel typing to blanket check more stuff it could be more appealing. Or maybe just reliable recovery. Regardless, needs a buff.
TL;DR: Make into Ursh counter with +Fairy Typing/+Steel Typing/+Recover/Slate it

This thing is shockingly bad when you think about what its trying to do. As a defensive Grass-type, it's infinitely crippled by a Fighting weakness, meaning it loses to the Fightings that grasses love to pivot into and also has a much worse matchup against Zeraora. As a Normal-type special sponge, the Grass typing adds a plethora of weaknesses that undermine this role (suddenly loses to Kyurem, Rotom-Heat, Volcarona, etc). As a grass type booster/breaker, run Rillaboom or even its mega. It's just worthless. Can't ever see a situation where this is better than Tangrowth/Amoonguss/Mega Apple/Blissey/Baselax.
TL;DR: Slate this

It's still awful~
TL;DR(lol): Slate this

Don't give a rat's ass if we buff this but it would be kind of hype to distribute the moves to the eeveelutions lol

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
Gee, it's been real boring around here. How about spicing things up a bit?

Megamax Ladder Tournament!
It's simple really: Just make an alt starting with "MLT" (example: MLT Dramps) and climb as high as you can possibly go! The top 3 on September 30 at 11:59 PM EST will be declared the winners!

Good luck boys and girls

earl

(EVIOLITE COMPATIBLE)
is a Community Contributor
Post Open Team Dump:

Drunk: My go-to Drednaw squad. It's a pretty saucy balance team that mildly abuses Drednaw's rain (which will often be up, as Drednaw constantly clicks Flip Turn). Blissey is an epic crutch that blanket checks every special attacker, sets rocks, and clicks teleport. Always delivers. Starmie is my spinner and abuses Drednaw's Rain. It's a pretty shitty mon but I needed spin+rain abuser in one slot, so here it is. Tangrowth defensively abuses rain, mainly allowing it to eat a Flare Blitz from Marowak and respond with a Knock Off to neutralize it for the rest of the match. Crucial Rillaboom counter and scouts Urshifu, this teams main weakness. Drednaw is super straightforward. If counters are still alive, Flip Turn. Pivot into and High Horsepower Coalossal. Aqua Jet Volcarona. Clean with Liquidation in the lategame. Slowbro-Galar picks apart cores, notably stomping any combination of Clef+Pex+Ferro+Corvi. Also removes a bit of physical tanking pressure from Tangrowth thanks to Regenerator. Lastly, Scarf Heracross is the band-aid solution to Urshifu and provides speed control.

Alternative: Drank (less spicy, made for the magearna meta)

Congratulations: I know people despise stall, but I really, really like building stall teams for pet mods. It's fun to "solve" relatively unexplored metas like this one and build a team that can handle most threats. Regardless, this is my Mega Sandaconda stall build. It's at least somewhat more involved than the average stall thanks to Sandaconda, who is still max attack adamant to OHKO several threats. Its bulk barely matters anyways, its typing+Knock immunity alone allows it to counter an absurd amount of Pokemon. With max attack it can beat most walls with Body Slam paralysis, which will eventually happen. Everything else is pretty standard. Rocky Helmet pex handles Coal and scouts Urshifu, Mandibuzz counters Urshifu+Defogs, Chansey is Chansey, Ditto is Ditto (let Urshifu-R-Gmax set up to +6- Ditto can revenge then with Surging Strikes), Ferrothorn sets spikes and handles Drednaw.

Flappling: Super simple Flapple balance. Flapple+Scizor+Rotom is a great core with each of them beating down each others counters and generally just spamming powerful pivoting moves. Defensive core should be pretty straightforward and boring as all hell. This team is not creative.

It Is What It Is: Semistall, hooray! It's an Appletun squad that plays very, very slowly until Necrozma or (lol) SD Tentacruel can clean up the exhausted opponent on turn 150. I'll cover the interesting parts of the team: Skarmory over Corviknight for spikes, Autotomize+Meteor Beam Necrozma can really tear through a team lategame, Trick Clefable is an easy way to make Toxapex a liability, SD Tentacruel is uhhhh there, and Appletun is just absurdly fat and beats like 80% of the metagame in a 1v1 scenario. Don't mega your Appletun as long as Coalossal is alive, though. Nothing but Thick Fat Appletun avoids the 2HKO from Blitz on this team.

Future Sight+Urshifu: This team is OU legal lol

Anyways, those are my (good) teams. It was a really fun open, and I'll be participating in the ladder tour.

Is Blissey a crutch

Pokemon Name: Eevee
Mega Stone Name: Eevite
Stats:
55/75 (+20)/60 (+20)/65 (+20)/85 (+20)/75 (+20) Total: 425
Typing:
Normal
Ability:
Copy Star
New Moves:
Play Rough, Aura Sphere, Dragon Pulse, Glitzy Glow, Veevee Volley (for style points)
Competitive Description:
Mega Eevee is meant to be used as a relatively flexible member of a team, as it gains 20 in most of its stats. Its special bulk alongside its other decent stats must be used properly to have a chance at victory, and with an ability that not only gives STAB to all of its attacks, but also increases the power of star and light moves (Swift and Glitzy Glow for example) which serves as a Kirby reference.

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
Pokemon Name: Eevee
Mega Stone Name: Eevite
Stats:
55/75 (+20)/60 (+20)/65 (+20)/85 (+20)/75 (+20) Total: 425
Typing:
Normal
Ability:
Copy Star
New Moves:
Play Rough, Aura Sphere, Dragon Pulse, Glitzy Glow, Veevee Volley (for style points)
Competitive Description:
Mega Eevee is meant to be used as a relatively flexible member of a team, as it gains 20 in most of its stats. Its special bulk alongside its other decent stats must be used properly to have a chance at victory, and with an ability that not only gives STAB to all of its attacks, but also increases the power of star and light moves (Swift and Glitzy Glow for example) which serves as a Kirby reference.
Hi there! Unfortunately subs are closed

The linup is appletun, scizor red card, will-o-wisp rot wash, draga for covrage, hatrenne for blocking status and amoonguss for sleep.

Idk what your saying
He's saying you lied about when your birthday is when making an account. And for the love of god, stop double posting. I understand it sometimes if the two messages are substantially different and you want people to be notified, but "What? Idk what your saying" is not that. This is not a chat room.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)