Megas For All: V3! (Slate #4 VOTING; Check Post #170)

Status
Not open for further replies.
A bunch of people have put in added moves moves the duo already learn (such as moonlight and morning sun, Jaguar360 and Valmanway)

A bunch of people have put in added moves moves the duo already learn (such as moonlight and morning sun, Jaguar360 and Valmanway)
Ah, was going off of Serebii. Lunatone does learn Moonlight via the Dream World from Gen V it seems. I knew that Solrock learnt it, but not from where. Thanks.

Before I give my post for the first one, here is my initial Reaction about the first one being gone: "NNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! It is gone. All for nothing!!!" (Passes away.)

Enough of that. You know, it really sucks, but perhaps this clean slate may be a better thing to consider. So, we are still at Solrock and Lunatone, right? Or am I late?

Mega Solrock
Ability: Embrate (an ability that turns Normal Type Attacks to Fire Type)
Typing: Fire / Rock

Stats:
HP: 70 ----> 70
Attack: 95 ----> (+15) 110
Defense: 85 ----> (+60) 145
Special Attack: 55 ----> (+20 coming from speed reduction) 75
Special Defense: 65 ----> (+25) 90
Speed: 70 ----> (-20) 50
Base Stat Total: 440 ----> 540
Movepool Additions: Recover

Description: Sticking with the common +100 base stat addition, the concept for this Mega Evolution is to amplify its capability to tank more Physical Hits than the way it can currently tank them. Will-o-Wisp is not enough to protect you from Fighting moves and Steel Type moves. Now with recover, it can do tanking better on both stats. However, with its meh HP stat, it gives a good fair weakness to Special attacks that it once had not much to deal with despite the extra buff. Another new way you can emphasize its lower speed is for trick rooming purposes in either form. The reason you would usually get this mega evolution is if you need a Solrock to be a physical contact attacker deterrent thanks to Will-o-wisp. If levitate is such a necessity for you, stick to the normal Solrock. But if bug types, some flying types, and Talonflame worry you more, go Mega evolution.

Mega Lunatone
Ability: Prankster
Typing: Ghost / Rock
Stats:
Attack: 55 ----> 55
Defense: 65 ----> (+35) 100
Special Attack: 95 ----> (+20) 115
Special Defense: 85 ----> (+45) 130
Speed: 70 ----> 70
Movepool Additions: Hex (Or Soak for thematic purposes of the moon controlling the monsoon tides)

For Lunatone's Case, it plays more of a set up sweeper or a support set if needed compared to Solrock. Thus, I had not made any changes to its attack or speed to carve itself a new buff to its newly obtained ghost type. Even though Dark Type attacks are prominent thanks to the buff of Knock-Off, with Prankster, it can lands one more status (like Will-o-Wisp or Toxic) on the attacker. The other option that it can learn on its new move is Soak. While underrated, under the effects of prankster, if you predict a switch, you may possibly put opponents in a situation where they either take the status or switch out again.

Last edited:
Before I give my post for the first one, here is my initial Reaction about the first one being gone: "NNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! It is gone. All for nothing!!!" (Passes away.)

Enough of that. You know, it really sucks, but perhaps this clean slate may be a better thing to consider. So, we are still at Solrock and Lunatone, right? Or am I late?

Mega Solrock
Ability: Embrate (an ability that turns Normal Type Attacks to Fire Type)
Typing: Fire / Fairy

Stats:
Attack: 95 ----> (+15) 110
Defense: 85 ----> (+60) 145
Special Attack: 55 ----> (+20 coming from speed reduction) 75
Special Defense: 65 ----> (+25) 90
Speed: 70 ----> (-20) 50
Movepool Additions: Recover

Description: Sticking with the common +100 base stat addition, the concept for this Mega Evolution is to amplify its capability to tank more Physical Hits than the way it can currently tank them. Will-o-Wisp is not enough to protect you from Fighting moves and Steel Type moves. Now with recover, it can do tanking better on both stats. However, with its meh HP stat, it gives a good fair weakness to Special attacks that it once had not much to deal with despite the extra buff. Another new way you can emphasize its lower speed is for trick rooming purposes in either form. The reason you would usually get this mega evolution is if you need a Solrock to have multiple options on the types of pokemon it can deal with. If flying types are such a big issue, stick to the normal Lunatone. But if grass types worry you more, go Mega evolution.
You should really try to change only one type. Changing both types goes against precedent. Cool submissions though.

OMGGGGGG FINALLY!!!!!

I'm really Excited about this one! Let's see what can I do with these two:

Solrock-Mega
Ability: Levitate / Flame Absorb (Fire type Water Absorb obviously xD)
Typing: Steel/Psychic
Stats:
HP 70 ---> 70
Atk 95 ---> 125 (+30)
Def 85 ---> 145 (+60)
SpA 55 ---> 35 (-20)
SpD 65 ---> 95 (+30)
Spe 70 ---> 70 (+0)
BST 440 ---> 540
New moves: Meteor Mash, Spikes.

Flavor: Solrock now will look like a red dwarf star with its eyes looking even more squinty (like agonizing) and smaller with reduced but sharper body spikes. However it will still be hot enough to drop some will o wisps and will love to get that heat energy that it lost through time (That's why it gets fire absorb). Also, since now is made from steel but its kinda a star-rock, let's make it learn Meteor Mash.

Explanation: A LOT sturdier Solrock, with decent defenses and a moderately good offense too. However the best of this mega is the Steel/Psychic type that has a lot of resistances with only a few weaknesses, which makes Solrock more than capable of handling enemy attacks and recover the HP lost thanks to something that other Steel/Psychics could only dream of (semi reliable one turn recovery). Another tool to become noticed on OU will be spikes, which will make Solrock amazing for setting up them, being one of the few spikers not getting roasted by fire types.

However this Solrock its far from perfect! Its speed is pretty mediocre and will need investment + setup to be offensive but its also high enough to make it iffy for TR or Gyro Ball. The speed issue will also let Solrock prone to Taunt which will undermine its usefullness in the match.

Another little issues are:
* No way of dealing supereffective damage on Dark/Ghost/Ground types outside of neutral attacks.
* A heavy 4 MMS. Mega Solrock will want to have WoW, SR, Spikes, STABs, a recovery move and probably EQ/Stone Edge coverage all at the same time...
* While 70-135 is a decent defense, 70-95 will not be enough to stop strong neutral Special Attacks unless heavily invested (and even then will be kinda underwhelming).

Lunatone-Mega
Ability: Levitate ---> Magic Bounce
Typing: Ice/Psychic
Stats:
HP 70 ---> 70
Atk 55 ---> 35 (-20)
Def 65 ---> 105 (+40)
SpA 95 ---> 95 (0)
SpD 85 ---> 125 (+40)
Spe 70 ---> 110 (+40)
BST 440 ---> 540
New moves: Rapid Spin, Heal Bell, Wish

Flavor: Lunatone is now covered in ice stalagmites all pointing downwards and with greenish evil eyes. Since Solrock goes with the Red Dwarf thing, Lunatone could go kinda the same way... Since now the sun doesn't radiates that much energy, now the moon has became an icy rock, but keeping the same Psychic energy from before.

Explanation: A supportive Lunatone with a cleric approach. While Magic Bounce + Rapid Spin might seem a little bit redundant, it makes Lunatone to take out any Hazard that could get into the game before activating its megavolution (or because of a misprediction). Heal Bell and Wish are also two perfect moves for Clerics and with base 110 Speed, it will be pretty easy to use those moves before getting taunted or fainted. Another good thing about Magic Bounce is that it will allow Lunatone to avoid status in a lot of situations, which could lead to a nice endgame sweep with Ice Beam now as STAB move. Another useful thing that Lunatone can do is now being faster than Keldeo and speed tie with Latios and Latias and destroy then with a super effective STAB move.

Again we have a few issues with this mega evolution that will prevent it from being broken, the worst one being its Type combination - Stats... Ice/Psychic while decent offensively it's pretty bad defensively and since Mega Lunatone has Mediocre offensive capabilities it will make it hard to use for both situations. At least, Lunatone can go Calm Minding to increase both its defensive and offensive prowess.

Another little issues are:
* 70 base HP is low for Wish passing.
* It can't do Cleric and Offensive work in one moveset because of that stat spread (while both will want a lot of speed, Cleric will prefer getting some HP and offensive will totally need the extra Special Attack.
* While it can spin, its pretty weak to hazards, which will make the Lunatone user to be really good at predicting when the opponent will use them. That also can be counterproductive since a typical SR setter can just use a super effective move instead and obliterate Lunatone (Flash Cannon/Fire blast from Heatran, Stone edge from Tyranitar, etc)

I will love to know... Can I do more than one for each megavolution? I would love to post a second set for both of them!

See ya guys!

Solrock-Mega
Ability: Levitate ----> Desolate Land
Typing: Rock/Fire

Stats:

HP: 70
Attack: 95 ----> 145(+50)
Defense: 85 ----> 125(+40)
Special Attack: 55 ----> 35 (-20)
Special Defense: 65 ---->105(+40)
Speed: 70 ----> 60 (-10)
Movepool Additions: Sacred Fire, Morning Sun (as Level-up)
Flavor Description: Solrock is now Fire-type, as should it kind of should have been in the first place. Its sunbeams are now white-hot plasma - the lower ones are even dripping a bit. The main body is now smoother. Its eyes are now wide open. Sacred Fire is not only obvious STAB, but the sun is considered sacred in many cultures - including in Japan, and you know where Pokemon comes from...
Competitive Description: Bulky physical attacker. While it has many similar properties to Primal Groudon, its many flaws (you know, the thing Primal Groudon doesn't have) stop it from turning the metagame on its head - but it's still a force to be reckoned with! Notably, a prime force in the metagame - Keldeo - can switch in no problem - as can Infernape. Garchomp and Swampert can also switch in well as long as they don't get burned. There's plenty other things that can switch in with a little bit of prediction, which shouldn't be too hard. It won't end weather teams - It still has a huge Ground weakness for Swampert, Garchomp, Hippodown, and Excadrill to exploit, after all.

Lunatone-Mega
Ability: Levitate ----> Eclipse (similar to Desolate Land, with a typing difference: It increases the power of Fairy attacks, and negates Steel attacks.)
Typing: Rock/Fairy

Stats:

HP: 70
Attack: 55 ----> 35 (-20)
Defense: 65 ----> 125 (+60)
Special Attack: 95 ----> 115(+20)
Special Defense: 85 ----> 135(+50)
Speed: 70 ----> 60 (-10)
Movepool Additions: Surf, Power Gem, Moonlight (as Level-up)
Flavor Description: Look ma, new ability! The moon in Pokemon has always been associated with fairies, so making Lunatone fairy-type made sense. Power Gem is a better special STAB. Surf is mostly just because the moon influences the tides, but it's still a good. Moonlight is duh.
Competitive Description: Boy, Rock/Fairy would be a great type if it wasn't 4x weak to Steel... might as well make Lunatone immune to its main weakness! Its stats are nothing exceptional, but they're good enough to support Mega Lunatone's great combination of typing, ability, and moves. So I've gone over what makes it good, but it still has weaknesses. For something that gives out a sun variant, it's awfully weak to Grass. Its ability also doesn't patch up the fact that Steel-types still wall it. Hail is the only weather I can think of that doesn't have a counter to Mega Lunatone - Rain has the countless water-types, Sand has a lot of checks and oh Excadrill wrecks, and Sun has LITERALLY ANYTHING THAT CARRIES SOLAR BEAM, so it shouldn't be an end to weather teams.

Fyi: voting will be up tonight all things permitting

All things were not permitting, I'll figure it out

Last edited:
Solrock
OU banned my masquerain
*snip*
You aren't allowed to vote for your own, silly! For reference, I'll put my own submissions in brackets (like these ones) - just to measure my ACTUAL opinion.
Solrock
Dgvhh
Valmanway
(mine)
mcFlareon

All things considered, I find Dgvhh submission better than mine. But if it's Desolate Land you want...

Lunatone
(mine)
Rennyjesus
jireh the provider
nightsitter

On the other hand, I don't see any of the other Lunatone submissions as nearly as good as mine. Especially because so many of them were Rock/Dark, especially given that the moon is associated with Fairy-type in Pokemon...

Valmanway

My jimmies remain unrustled
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I forgot to do Mega Lunatone... whoops. :,(

Solrock:
nightsitter
The Reptile
Peef Rimgar

Lunatone:
MegaFlareon
Rennyjesus
OU banned my masquerain

I'm sorry guys but I refuse to vote for something with a "typically uberish" ability like Desolate Land... I like balanced things that might get intro OU-UU and not something kinda broken that will be too much for any tier besides ubers... Then:

Mega Solrock
1.- Megaflareon
2.- Aubisio
3.- Valmanway

Mega Lunatone
1.- Aubisio
2.- jaguar360
3.- runbabyrun

See ya!
P.D.: of course mine are better but... XDDDDD

G-Luke

Sugar, Spice and One For All
is a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Solrock-Mega

McFlareon
MegaFlareon
TheReptile

Lunatone-Mega

runbabyrun
mcFlareon
OU banned my masquerain

Is there any dialogue going on about how to get the megastones to work? This is never gonna happen if we don't have a solution for what stopped us in the first place (hint: it being unbalanced wasn't the reason it died.)
Custom Abilities: these are a tricky thing, but me and EG agreed on the following: Custom abilities are banned UNLESS they are simply a clone of an existing ability. This means you can have abilities like a dark -ate, or a psychic Water Absorb, as long as the Pokemon in question has the ability level of the original ability available to it (ie. don't try and give a mon with an ability restriction of level 2 or below Dark -ate!, which would be at 4!).
Why? We had working code for a lot of pretty crazy custom abilities, they were never the issue.

Aight so a quick apology: I've been rather vague this past week and for that I apologize. I'll try and make deadlines and such a lot more transparent for weeks to come! Now, time for results:

MegaFlareon - 11
Rennyjesus - 7
runbabyrun - 6
McFlareon - 10
The Reptile - 6
Valmanway - 6
Dgvhh - 4
nightsitter - 5
OU Banned My Masquerain - 8
Aubisio - 6
Jaguar360 - 1
The Reptile - 8
Pika Xtreme - 5
OU banned my masquerain - 4
Mcflareon - 8
Jireh the provider - 4
Aubisio - 10
Runbabyrun - 9
Rennyjesus - 10
Nightsitter - 1
Megaflareon - 5
Jaguar360 - 10
zerobreaker000 - 3

So as you can obviously tell, we have a slight issue: a three way tie on Lunatone! Now how we'll handle this is: for the next 24 Hours, everyone please vote for your favorite between Rennyjesus', Jaguar360's, and Aubisio's! In the mean time, you can also discuss Megaflareon's winning Solrock-Mega!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)