Pet Mod Megas for All v7 - Kalos concluded! | Please read the first post! | Fully playable through Kalos Slate 10!

Alright!

Lickilicky:
1. ARandomPerson (Self)
2. Ausma
3. KeroseneZanchu
4. Lord Pxperto
5. Jazzmat

Tsareena:
1. Shrimp + Bolivia
2. Gravity Monkey
3. Okispokis
4. Magmajudis
5. Bloopyghost
6. Sticky Fingaaa
7. Mossy Sandwich
8. XzvzX
9. Moretto

Grapploct:
1. TheUltraFinder
2. Gravity Monkey
3. SimpyShrimp
4. Hema + Kero
5. Okispokis
6. Ausma
7. DarkFairy + Z-nogyroP
8. BloopyGhost
9. The Damned

Bloopyghost

guging
is a Pre-Contributor
lickilicky.png

1. jazzmat
2. KeroseneZanchu
3. Lord Pxperto
4. okispokis
5. ausma
6. ARandomPerson
7. The Damned

tsareena.png

1. Gravity Monkey
2. okispokis
3. Magmajudis
4. Mossy Sandwich
5. KeroseneZanchu
6. Moretto
7. Sticky Fingaaa

grapploct.png

1. Hematite & KeroseneZanchu
2. jazzmat
3. SimpyShrimp
4. ausma
5. TheUltraFinder
6. Gravity Monkey
7. ry4242

i voted for 7 lickilicky subs so i might as well stay consistent

KakkarrotCake

Banned deucer.
Licky Lickilicky makes quickly picking tricky so I'm just giving first to A Random Person.
But second's pretty solid at ausma's touchy boy
and Lord Pxperto's sub is a tempting but dangerous toy.

Bloopyghost made a gambit for first and it worked
and Sticky's kicky Tsareena's got a solid spot in second.
Third is KeroseneZanchu, apparently thick thighs end lives.

Speaking of fuel, it's no wonder that when it's added to Hematite's pure fire they get an instantaneous lock for first-place surefire.
Secondary legendary sub for Grapploct, Bloopyghost's is scary
but third ain't far behind because TheUltraFinder's got it locked down with Octolock Showdown.

ViZar

your toast is burned
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Servus

:ss/lickilicky:
  1. ausma
  2. okispokis
  3. ARandomPerson
  4. KeroseneZanchu
  5. The Damned
  6. Exploziff
  7. jazzmat
  8. XzvzX

:ss/tsareena:
  1. SimpyShrimp & Bolivia
  2. Regic Boat
  3. Mossy Sandwich
  4. KeroseneZanchu
  5. Gravity Monkey
  6. Sticky Fingaaa
  7. okispokis
  8. TheUltraFinder
  9. jazzmat
  10. The Damned
  11. Magmajudis
  12. XzvzX
  13. lavarina
  14. Moretto

:ss/grapploct:
  1. 1642512759058.png
    s/o to TheUltraFinder
  2. SimpyShrimp
  3. ausma
  4. Exploziff
  5. Regic Boat
  6. TheUltraFinder
  7. okispokis
  8. The Damned
  9. Ema Skye
  10. Gravity Monkey
  11. ry4242
  12. lavarina

Here are my reasonings
Ciao Servus

Rosiario

Banned deucer.
Hi!!!! Good luck to everyone, this slate seemed to be a bit more low-key but all of the subs here seem really fun regardless! This is just my kind of stuff :D.

Without any delay, I'd like to nominate Bloopyghost as my first vote for Lickilicky! I think it's a fun and fitting idea, however I would also suggest maybe considering using regular Lick if it wins? :o Some people might think of it as better Static in that case, but I disagree! Not only are Normal-types immune to the ability, but it can trigger a chain reaction against stuff like U-Turn Corviknight with Rocky Helmet, or Knock Off Ferrothorn with Iron Barbs and can actually be exploited in these ways! I think this would be a really fun sidegrade and keeping it as base Lick also makes everything cleaner and more simple~

Second up is Kero! Hunger Switch is a rather tame ability, but this sub really gives a unique and interesting purpose to it that couldn't be easily replicated with other, more impactful form-change abilities like Stance Change or Zen Mode. I also have a bit of fondness for this one, because of a future submission we have planned ;p

~

Now moving onto the QUEEN, Mossy! Tsareena is a Pokemon that's already so close to greatness, and you gave it all the tools it needed to use what it already had to succeed! It may not be the most exciting on the list but I really really like this and I want to see her in action, kicking ass and taking names <3

Bloopyghost also has a stellar second here - while Mossy's sub looks a lot more consistent, this ability looks so so so so so fun and delightfully mindgamey. It's definitely the kind of high-risk, high-reward, ultra-flashy play potential mon that looks like it will be really exciting to watch, especially in tournaments!!!

~

This probably isn't a surprise, but I will be putting Kero and Hemmy for #1 Grapploct :D. I'm really impressed with how perfectly everything fits into place with this one! Not only is Grapploct the perfect chance to do the Water/Fighting combination these two decided would be the best user (seriously, why wasn't Grapploct that type to begin with?), but the flavor for an octopus with Mimicry is perfect! Kero's been excited about finally doing a collab with Hema for a while now, and I think they pulled it off just as well, if not better, than anyone would have expected from a dynamic duo like this!

And it might be a bit overshadowed here, but I really think okispokis's sub deserves a lot of love as well! Infiltrator is an underutilized tool that really helps Grapploct apply pressure no matter what, and it synergizes especially well with its role as a trapper since it prevents the opponent from being able to stall it out with Subsitute! This is a bit of a hidden gem, and I wanted to recognize that here~

I unfortunately have too much other stuff to do still right now, but I wanted to make sure that I at least voted on this and what Slate 42 will be before voting ended, so here are my Top 5 (since Lickilicky only had 11 submissions anyway). Regardless of who wins, nice visual designs, Bloopyghost.

01. okispokis
02. The Damned (Self-Vote)
03. jazzmat
04. KeroseneZanchu
05. ARandomPerson

01. The Damned (Self-Vote)
02. Bloopyghost
03. Magmajudis
04. okispokis
05. depressed lion

01. Hematite and KeroseneZanchu
02. Ema Skye
03. Gravity Monkey
04. DarkFairy and Z-nogyroP
05. SimpyShrimp {though I'm just assuming this is mono-Fighting since none of SimpyShrimp's entries have types}

Karnachar

Banned deucer.
:swsh/lickilicky:
1. ARandomPerson
2. Bloopyghost
3. ausma
4. KeroseneZanchu
5. Lord Pxperto
6. Exploziff
7. jazzmat
8. depressed lion
9. okispokis
10. The Damned

:swsh/tsareena:
1. Sticky Fingaa
2. jazzmat
3. Mossy Sandwich
4. SimpyShrimp and Bolivia
5. Magmajudis
6. Bloopyghost
7. KeroseneZanchu
8. Moretto
9. lavarina
10. depressed lion

:swsh/grapploct:
1. Hematite and KeroseneZanchu
2. Exploziff
3. ry4242
4. ausma
5. okispokis
6. lavarina
7. SimpyShrimp
8. DarkFairy and z-nogyroP
9. Bloopyghost
10. jazzmat

Lickilicky
1. jazzmat
2. Lord Pxperto
3. ausma
4. KeroseneZanchu
5. Exploziff

Tsareena
1. jazzmat
2. Bloopyghost
3. Gravity Monkey
4. SimpyShrimp & Bolivia
6. Mossy Sandwich
7. Magmajudis

Grapploct
1. jazzmat
2. Hematite & KeroseneZanchu
3. ry4242
4. ausma
5. Regic Boat
6. Exploziff
7. lavarina

inkbug

Maybe the real mega pokemon were the friends we ma
is a Community Contributor
Aaaand the votes are in!

Before I get started, a quick run-down of how this works:
  • Each vote contributes one point to its first-place choice
  • The candidates are ordered based on both the number of first-place votes and the number of total votes, and eliminated from the bottom
  • Any vote whose first choice has been eliminated instead gives its point to its second choice, or whatever its next ranking is. (On the sheet, points that have moved in this manner are highlighted in yellow.)
  • The elimination and re-ranking process continues until there are two remaining, upon which the one with more points is the winner.
  • You can view the whole thing on this spreadsheet.
Without further ado...

:lickilicky: Mega Lickilicky: ARandomPerson !!
alright
:bw/lickilicky:
Lickilicky-Mega @ Lickilickite
Ability: Thick Fat
Type: Normal / Fairy
Stats:
HP:
Atk: 115 (+30)
Def: 100 (+5)
SpA: 115 (+35)
SpD: 100 (+5)
Spe: 75 (+25)
New Moves: Play Rough, Draining Kiss

Overview: Just a really fat tank that checks important mons. It gains fairy STAB and it already has great coverage on both attacking sides of the spectrum (Earthquake, Fire Blast/Flamethrower, Tbolt, etc.) With it's type combo + ability it can check Kyurem, Weavile, Greninja (With enough spdef investment it can live 2 hydro pumps even with no defense boost), Heatran (lacking steel stab), Blacephalon and the like. It can heal itself and it's teammates with wish, cripple opponents with toxic or knock off and scout moves with the somewhat mandatory protect when using wish. All in all a very useful addition to stall, balance and maybe BO teams. (I am aware that this is still really good despite the countermeasures I've taken, so I have a backup idea in case this is still too overcentralizing)
1642631898518.png

:tsareena: Mega Tsareena: Bloopyghost !!
01-09-22d.png

Mega Tsareena
Ability
: Queen's Gambit
Type:
grass.gif
fighting.gif

If this Pokemon is switched-in on an opposing Pokemon’s priority move that’s targeted towards it or its allies, that move will fail. Afterwards, this Pokemon will gain +1 priority. (The message "<name> is ready to strike back!" is displayed after Queen's Gambit activates.)
Stats: 72 HP / 140 Atk (+20) / 120 Def (+22) / 60 SpA (+10) / 120 SpD (+22) / 98 Spe (+26) / 610 BST

New moves: First Impression
Description: Queen's Gambit takes Queenly Majesty and turns it into something much more strategic, rewarding aggressive and risky play. Being able to earn +1 priority on any of its attacks when switched-in on opposing priority moves makes Tsareena a strong revenge-killer and anti-offense threat.

A respectable 140 Atk combined with high-Base Power STAB moves lets M-Tsareena terrorize slower attackers and fulfill its capability of reverse revenge-killing. M-Tsareena’s bulk isn’t to scoff at either, as it can tank a hit from opponents who decide to click a priority move again after Queen's Gambit activates. Fighting type not only adds STAB on HJK, but also provides resistance to Sucker Punch, a useful asset for any revenge-killer. Fighting type also lets it take less damage from Stealth Rock, giving it an easier time switching-in to activate Queen's Gambit or pivoting with U-turn. The addition of First Impression ensures that M-Tsareena will not be outprioritied by even Extreme Speed, though it offers poor coverage otherwise.

Queen’s Gambit can create some tense mindgames since opponents will try to play around Queen’s Gambit’s effect. Be wary, getting predicted and sending M-Tsareena into a powerful attack or status condition instead of a priority move will result in a weakened or KO-ed M-Tsareena.
1642631941539.png

:grapploct: Mega Grapploct: Hematite & KeroseneZanchu !! -- and coincidentally, I think, the single most popular sub in the mod's history!
A collaboration between KeroseneZanchu and Hematite......

:grapploct: Mega Grapploct
New Ability: Limber / Technician -> Mimicry
Type: Fighting/Water

New Stats:
HP: 80
Attack: 118 -> 148 (+30)
Defense: 90 -> 100 (+10)
Special Attack: 70
Special Defense: 80 -> 130 (+50)
Speed: 42 -> 52 (+10)
(580 BST)

New moves: Bullet Punch, Flip Turn, Gunk Shot, Storm Throw

WE'RE FINALLY DOING THIS!!
This is an idea the two of us came up with together ages ago literally April of last year I can't believe it's been that long during a conversation about Mimicry, and we've been waiting for the longest time to have the chance to share it P:

The initial line of thinking was a question of "what type combination gets the most mileage out of Mimicry?" - we wanted a type combination that was pretty good on its own but really needed help against the dominant terrain setters and could use Mimicry to gain a defensive advantage.
Fighting/Water was our favorite candidate by far - it's weak to all four of Grass, Electric, Fairy and Psychic, but Mimicry changes these to resistances to Grass under Grassy Terrain, Electric under Electric Terrain and Psychic under Psychic Terrain, effectively quartering their damage, while Fairy goes from a weakness to a neutrality but also isn't boosted by Terrain.
When I brought up that type combination's unusually major benefits from Mimicry, Kero pounced on it with the brilliant suggestion of :grapploct: Grapploct, a Fighting-type Pokémon that lives in the water and is a goshdarned octopus, which makes it easily the most flavorfully perfect candidate to combine Mimicry of all Abilities with Fighting/Water.

:tapu-koko::incineroar:

The next step was giving Grapploct the tools it needed do justice to its concept - to capitalize on both defensive Mimicry shenanigans and the most unique characteristics base Grapploct itself had to offer.

First of all, we had to make sure it could actually beat the terrain setters Mimicry was meant to help it with, and that's what Gunk Shot is for - we knew Grapploct couldn't rely on its STAB moves regardless, because it would never have STAB on them when facing the Pokémon Mimicry helps it to handle, so we wanted a strong move of a single type that wasn't harmed by Grapploct's loss of STAB and could hit as many relevant terrain setters as possible super effectively.
Enter Gunk Shot, a 120 BP move (plenty to make up for the lack of STAB!) that hits Rillaboom and all four of the tapu for super effective damage. As Grapploct is, once again, a goshdarned octupus, this is a super fitting move flavorfully and one it totally deserves, so it's pretty fun to make it into one of the most relevant tools for its role!

Next up, Bullet Punch helps Grapploct to deal with faster (and often physically frailer) Fairy-types that pose a threat while it's still Fighting/Water and pairs excellently with Bulk Up sets.
Normally, you'd think Bullet Punch isn't useful as coverage for Fairy-types in a meta where Tapu Koko and Tapu Fini see so much use and Tapu Lele, for that matter, if it drops - after all, Tapu Koko and Tapu Fini aren't weak to Steel and Tapu Lele is outright immune to Bullet Punch. That's what makes Mega Grapploct so unique as a user of the move: the Fairy-types that have the least to fear from Bullet Punch are the ones that don't have a type advantage on Grapploct, while the Fairy-types that Mimicry doesn't help Grapploct to resist are the ones that have a weakness to Bullet Punch.
Flip Turn is a generally cool option on similar grounds - it's not meant to be directly anti-terrain by any means, but it's always an excellent option on a Water-type and suits Grapploct's character to a tee (have you seen that thing move on Route 9--).
More importantly, though, both of these are really cool moves to combine with Grapploct's signature Octolock!
Bullet Punch lets Grapploct pick off a trapped opponent whose defenses have been lowered before it has the chance to pivot out unscathed, and the combination of priority, anti-Fairy coverage for everything but the tapu (Grapploct isn't weak to the tapu's Fairy moves) and Octolock's Defense reductions to plenty to counteract its lack of raw power.
Meanwhile, Octolock + Flip Turn is a unique combination that capitalizes on Grapploct's new type and low Speed with its most exclusive tool - Octolock is hard to use supportively because Grapploct can only hard-switch out of a trapped opponent, which undermines its main benefit of forcing out a wall and easing ally setup, but introducing Flip Turn means pairing the move with slow pivoting and allows an ally to come in safely on an opponent with reduced defenses, an incredibly unusual and dynamic spin on Parting Shot or Memento that puts a ton of immediate pressure on your opponent.

Lastly, Storm Throw is a rare and interesting move that we added in the hopes that Mega Grapploct could have more of a niche in VGC! It may not have much to do with Mimicry or Octolock, but when it comes to a Water/Fighting-type...

-1 0+ Atk Grapploct Storm Throw vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Incineroar on a critical hit: 174-206 (86.5 - 102.4%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO​

... it's pretty nice to be able to take down VGC overlord :incineroar: Incineroar so effortlessly!
but wait, what about Mimicry? Surely it's unreliable to try to carve a niche out of an often-non-STAB move and a type combination you won't always have--

-1 252+ Atk Grapploct Storm Throw vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Incineroar on a critical hit: 138-164 (68.6 - 81.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO​

Haha nope! That's pretty great damage even without STAB!
Basically, Storm Throw is a way to preserve the offensive advantages of the Fighting type in the format where that's most valued, even when Grapploct may not always have the type - because critical hits ignore Intimidate, which is always relevant on Fighting-types in VGC, this very effectively compensates for the loss of STAB and makes Storm Throw easily its strongest move to target Incineroar regardless of the state of the field.

We have absolutely no ulterior motives relating to non-Mega Technician when we suggest adding any of the last three moves... none at all...

:tapu-fini::clefable::rillaboom:

The next thing we considered was the stats, and we decided on a bias towards Special Defense for a few reasons.
A large increase to Special Defense makes it easier for Grapploct to deal with Tapu Koko and Tapu Fini, the terrain setters against which it has the best matchup; it's especially useful since Fairy is the only terrain type that doesn't still resist itself, so Grapploct appreciates all of the help it can get against Tapu Fini... and this totally pays off! Even completely uninvested, Fairy-type Grapploct handily avoids the 2HKO from 252 SpA Tapu Fini's Hydro Pump (its most damaging move), which frees it up to KO back with a Gunk Shot easily.

Speaking of Fairy-types, the Attack and Special Defense bias means Grapploct also 1v1s Clefable quite handily - no matter how you invest, and even without a terrain up, Grapploct always does more with Gunk Shot than it takes from Moonblast, and it can very quickly get into OHKO territory if you get to +1, it's easy to Speed creep Clefable, and somewhat defensively-invested Grapploct even avoids the 2HKO from Moonblast while Fighting-type.
For one example, 252 HP / 40+ Attack / 20 SpD / 68 Speed Grapploct is the most efficient spread I could find that can reliably 1v1 both Magic Guard and Unaware Clefable, either by clicking Gunk Shot twice or by clicking Bulk Up once and then Gunk Shot once as long as you know Clefable isn't Unaware.
And here's the thing... that's only 380 of its EVs! It has 132 left to put wherever you want and ease whatever other matchups you want - we had customizability at the forefront of our minds with this spread, and it can tech for so many cool interactions!

Defense is slightly less valued here because Rillaboom, the most prominent physical terrain setter and Grassy Terrain user, still has U-turn to hit a Grass-type Grapploct super effectively if it needs and also hits way freaking harder with Wood Hammer than it has ANY right to hit and barely recognizes single-resistances as a concept; Grapploct isn't going to want to switch in on Rillaboom's moves to counter it anyway, and Mimicry is more useful to remove Rillaboom as a Grapploct answer than to make Grapploct a Rillaboom answer.
But that's not to say it doesn't have a surprisingly awesome edge against Rillaboom, and that edge once again comes from Bulk Up.
Put it this way:
if you get in your specially bulky Water/Fighting-type tank,
and your opponent immediately tries to switch to their best physically offensive answer to Water/Fighting as you click Bulk Up once,
and their monkey-brained Rillaboom cannot answer it offensively after a Bulk Up,
Mimicry is doing its job... and check this out:

252+ Atk Choice Band Rillaboom Wood Hammer vs. +1 8 HP / 0 Def Grapploct in Grassy Terrain: 135-160 (44.5 - 52.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Grassy Terrain recovery​
+1 0 Atk Grapploct Gunk Shot vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Rillaboom: 372-438 (109 - 128.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO​

Notice the 8 HP as the bare minimum investment for this interaction. That's only 8 of your EVs. 8 of them!!!!
Heheh... so yeah! Mimicry does its job. C:
The two of us are decidedly not fans of Rillaboom so we think that's pretty cool P:

In general, a specially bulky stat spread is highly effective to complement Grapploct's Bulk Up, which can naturally shore up any shortcomings in physical Defense. While some comically high amount of physical bulk might help Grapploct switch in on Rillaboom, it's pretty extraneous and not really worth it; it's much more valuable to lean into Bulk Up's defensive utility and allow it to cover both sides at once.

:grapploct:

As a closing note, remember that Grapploct isn't using Mimicry to function as a terrain abuser but to remain safe from opposing terrain setters that would otherwise interfere with its role. You're not meant to pair Grapploct with a tapu and somehow sweep - you're meant to use Grapploct for the utility and wallbreaking potential it has to offer on its own, and Mimicry is a unique way to improve its matchups against the Pokémon that would threaten it the most.
This is also why we avoided adding moves like Terrain Pulse and Nature Power, which have no relevant benefits for Grapploct - not only is Mega Grapploct a physical attacker, but for all of the same reasons that Mimicry helps it against opposing terrain (read: most terrain types are resistant to themselves), "against opposing terrain" is when these two type-changing moves are at their least effective.

In general, a Mega Grapploct set shouldn't be completely filled with anti-terrain techs - this is a Pokémon with a ton of cool move options like Bulk Up, Taunt, Drain Punch, priority coverage, and the incredibly cool combination of Octolock and Flip Turn, and we wanted to keep it free to make use of all of these options... so most importantly, just have fun with this!
Mimicry, Gunk Shot and its stat spread are all it needs to be fearless of teams that rely on common terrain setters to deal with Fighting- and Water-types - the rest is up to you and how you want to use it, and it has three flexible slots with some super neat options to mix and match!
In short, this is the coolest tech Mega with a crazy amount of customizability, and it relies on Mimicry for its defensive potential in a way that hasn't been properly explored because freaking Galarian Stunfisk already resists Psychic and Fairy and is immune to Electric why does Mimicry make it actively worse at half of the terrains-- to create some really interesting matchups as a setup tank.

also: consider running Octolock + STAB Dive if you're not a coward <3
1642632039492.png

As you can see, things are not colored or highlighted on this! This is because this submission got enough first placements off the bat for it to be impossible for literally anything else to win. It received nineteen out of thirty-four possible first-place votes, which is over half (which means that if every single vote that didn't place them in first went to something else instead, it would only have 15 points).

Congrats to the winners !!
I usually do announcements and stuff here, but I'm so wiped today and I have a bunch of other stuff I need to do so I'm gonna hand it off to one of my fellow council members to do that this time. Stay tuned for new slate pokemon and dates, metagame changes, new balance change stuff, and a surprise...?!

Until next time!​

First of all, once again, congrats to the winners! It's a big deal, congratulations! Indigo's Licklicky is a mega I am personally incredibly excited to abuse utilize, and I think this is Bloopyghost's first win and they started subbing recently iirc, so that's a major accomplishment for them! We may have to ban Kero and Hematite from subbing together. 19 first place votes is ludicrous? That's more people that voted them in first than IRL friends I have :(.

Ahem,
anyway, a pretty significant number of announcements! For starters...

:Kyurem: :Cinderace: Kyurem and Cinderace were banned from m4a singles OU! Yes, this is a big deal! These two pokemon were incredibly problematic in the current metagame, especially with recent metagame tendencies (such as DD Kyurem, Bulk Up Cinderace) adding versatility to the list of pros for these two incredible pokemon. Both of them were banned with incredible majorities! They will no longer be usable in the meta, so if you are wondering why some of your teams are illegal now, this is probably the reason why! If you would like to participate in suspect tournaments like the ones we held for these (as well as hang out with Megas for All people and do all sorts of fun stuff), check out the discord server https://discord.gg/vYESxsnYKK !

:Slowking-Galar: :Mudsdale: :Empoleon: :Raichu:: Now that the vanilla suspects are out of the way, it is finally time to reevaluate a few megas that are considered "problematic" in OU. I know for a fact that the recently added Galarian-Slowking-Mega is incredibly problematic, and MMudsdale, MEmpoleon, and MRaichu are all very difficult to deal with as well. A discussion on what, if any, balance changes should be made to these megas. In addition to these 4, we will be discussing any other megas that you have a grievance with, so don't hesitate to come down to the discord and leave your thoughts!

SLATE 42 IS HERE
SLATE 42: THE "BIGGEST" SLATE IN M4A HISTORY
(Snorlax, Swalot, Wailord)

That's right, Snorlax, Swalot, and Wailord - a slate I have been anticipating for a while - is finally here! These three pokemon are all known for their high HP stats, and large statures! A pure normal, pure posion, and pure water type that all generally get swept under the rug by more potent defensive pokemon. These 3 pokemon will have the opportunity to finally break into OU with a strong, cool mega, and their single typing gives opportunities for lots of room for creativity for all 3 pokemon!
:Snorlax: I advise severe caution when designing this mega. Regular Snorlax is a pokemon that's a recover or slack off away from being very potent on its own, let alone a mega with even beefier stats. Imagine Blissey but good in both defenses (immunity lets it not get poisoned, so now all of the sudden we have a pokemon that literally rivals Blissey). As such, all forms of reliable recover are banned, as are pain split and jungle healing. Sorry, not sorry. Exercise caution with stat spreads and custom abilities as well (especially since this thing knows belly drum too)!
:Swalot: :Wailord: These two are fine, no major changes needed, I would still be cautious, though.

:Samurott: Our beloved council member kakaks is formally stepping down from the council. While he served us well for over a year, he has decided to take a step back from m4a while he focuses on other passions of his. Our mod has nothing but incredible respect for the work Kakaks put in, as he is actually one of the inaugural council members, and was integral to the current success of m4a today! He also gave us plenty of some of our favorite megas (which is more than I can say, PLEASE vote Bolivia I just got another 2nd place my subs are literally cursed cries). He'll still be around in the server, and on the off chance that he does return, he will be able to return to his post if he desires. Leave your congratulations here on in the discord!

And finally, last but CERTAINLY not least....

Replacing Kakaks on the council and joining the comp council...

:Zangoose: KeroseneZanchu :Zangoose:
Welcome to the council, Kero!!
From coding the sandbox, to being the master of subs, to recently getting 7th place in the Rigged Tour tournament being held by me on the discord (I swear, I keep promoting the discord cause it's super cool and you should join) Kero has demonstrated he has the skills in both leadership and ability to join the council! Having an extra pair of hands on deck will be incredibly beneficial to the mod, and I have a feeling that we will see the fruits of Kero's labor pay off in the mod very soon! For as long as he's been in the server, his contributions have been positive! He deserves this for sure, so be sure to congratulate him! It's rather curious how the entire conversation about a new council/comp council member started by Kero saying he was going to overthrow m4a? Does opposing the bourgeoise secretly get you into the top 1%? It's all very interesting...

:Simisear: Alrighty, that's all from me! The slate will be opening on Saturday night (17:00 GMT on the 22nd), after a short break! Veto post on Wednesday, and voting on Thursday! This is all subject to change, of course, but we'll notify you when such changes occur! Megas for all is currently in a very exciting place, and I hope that the first few months of 2022 bring joy to all involved! Enjoy!

Last edited:

KeroseneZanchu

Banned deucer.
~ :zangoose: ~
First announcement!

Slate 42

:ss/snorlax: :ss/swalot: :ss/wailord:

Is now open!

Here's a friendly reminder that reliable recovery of any kind is banned on Snorlax! He's far too fat for his own good, and if you give him that he'll eat the meta. In addition, like Guzzlord and Lickilicky in the past two slates, high HP Pokemon can get very bulky very fast even with small boosts to defenses, so be cautious! The usual veto post will occur on Wednesday, the 26th, or about 4 days from this post!

~ :zangoose: ~

Mossy Sandwich

Gunning for the top
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
UUPL Champion
:dp/swalot:
:swalot: Mega Swalot
New Ability
: Protean
Type: Poison

New stats: 100/103/103/103/103/55
HP: 100 (+0)
Attack: 73 --> 103 (+30)
Defense: 83 --> 103 (+20)
Special Attack: 73 --> 103 (+30)
Special Defense: 83 --> 103 (+20)
Speed: 55 (+0)
(BST) 467 --> 567

New moves: Flamethrower, Thunderbolt, Vacuum Wave
Description: As proven by Kirby, you are what you eat. In this case, Swalot has eaten so many things that, in its mega form, its able to change its body composition and structure very easily, adapting to its opponents. Mega-Swalot uses Protean to make itself a strong mixed attacking threat thanks to its good coverage. It may seem best to just use Thunderbolt+Ice Beam at first, but Swalot's physical options, notably Earthquake and Gunk Shot can hit especially important targets such as Heatran, Slowking-Galar, Clefable and Tapu Fini (In the case of the fairies, Gunk Shot hits harder than Sludge Bomb due to higher base power and their lower physical defense). However, unlike other Protean users, its bulk is also very good and its pure Poison typing lets it switch-in easily against most opponents that lack Earthquake and its access to Recover means it can keep its defensive utility throughout a game. It's also slower than Greninja and Cinderace, meaning it can't adapt very well to fast opponents, though it can mess with slower pokemon such as Melmetal. It still gains access to Vacuum Wave though, giving it a very favorable matchup against the Dark types of the format, Weavile and Greninja, even if they catch it on a type they can hit super-effectively. Overall, Mega-Swalot is a good wallbreaker that also tends to have some nice defensive utility thanks to its Poison typing on switch-in, which allows it to check threats such as Calm Mind Clefable and Tapu Fini as well as Rillaboom. Its coverage allows it to threaten many defensive pokemon and its access to Vacuum Wave allows it to check/revenge-kill Weavile, Greninja and Kartana.

:rs/wailord:
:wailord: Mega Wailord
New Ability
: Baleen (This pokemon's contact moves deal 1.5x damage to targets that are 10x lighter than it.)
New Weight: 500 kgs
Type: Water/Steel

New stats: 170/130/70/90/70/70
HP: 170 (+0)
Attack: 90 --> 130 (+40)
Defense: 45 --> 70 (+25)
Special Attack: 90 (+0)
Special Defense: 45 --> 70 (+25)
Speed: 60 --> 70 (+10)
(BST) 500 --> 600

New moves: Nah
Description: The Baleen Whale is a whale that eats plankton. Yes, a titan of the ocean eats some of the smallest aquatic creatures. So I decided to base Mega-Wailord off of those. A weight of 500kgs with its ability allows it to deal massive damage to anything that weighs below 50kgs. This notably includes every good OU Fairy type, Clefable, Tapu Koko and Tapu Fini. Thanks to its new Steel typing, Heavy Slam OHKOs the first two with ease while always 2HKOing Tapu Fini, even with maximum defense investment. Any pokemon below 50kgs has to fear Mega-Wailord basically. This includes, but is not limited to Gliscor, Zeraora, Reuniclus, Amoonguss, Blissey, Mega-Mawile and even Toxapex which it can 2HKO with Zen Headbutt. Heavy Slam will also have 120 base power and deal good damage against anything below 100kgs such as Rillaboom, Garchomp or Kommo-o. Now, at this point, if you're afraid of Wailord, don't be. While it can easily smash anything in a low weight class, dealing with heavier opponents can be quite the issue for it. It has a lot of trouble breaking through walls such as Ferrothorn, Buzzwole, Tangrowth, Corviknight, Slowbro and even fully offensive Melmetal. It also generally has issues with Water types. While it can deal with Tapu Fini and Toxapex well, it tends to lack the coverage options to deal with other bulky Waters such as Rotom-Wash, Empoleon, Alomomola, Quagsire and the Slowtwins. It's also worth noting that Wailord has good defensive utility. Between 170/70/70 bulk and Water/Steel typing, it's able to take hits quite well, finding many switch-in opportunities and also making it difficult to force out of the field. Overall, Mega-Wailord is a strong bulky attacker that's good at hitting specific targets really hard, but also completely fails against others.

Last edited:

Mega Snorlax @ Snorlaxite

Type: Normal

Ability: Standard Surge
When a Pokémon with Standard Surge enters the battle, it creates Standard Terrain on the battlefield.

Standard Terrain: Multiplies the power of moves with no secondary effect by 1.3x and prevents any stat changes from occurring while the terrain is active.

Stat (changes):
160/120(+10)/105(+40)/100(+35)/115(+5)/40(+10)

New Moves: Corrosive Gas, Safeguard

I've had the idea for a "Standard Terrain" in my head for a while now, but I never really knew how to really implement it. I had a few ideas of it basically removing RNG from the game while it was active, mostly removing secondary effects or preventing stat changes, based on the fact that the Terrain is supposed to be "Standard" and make the game less RNG. Oh and I initially gave it to Snorlax for no reason other than the fact that other than Raticate it is the Gen 1 Normal type.

Ability: Admittedly this idea was really bad initially because the terrain didn't actually do anything important (removing secondary effects) but then I remembered VGC. Honestly I'm really happy how this turned out because Snorlax can actually serve a variety of purposes. In singles it can work as a somewhat support by preventing opposing setup mons from setting up, or being a really bulky Curselax..... once. In doubles MLax can also lock down opposing setters, butc an also support friendly setup mons by allowing them to set up and the Mega Evolving to lock in their stats and prevent them from losing the boosts. Also significantly helps out mons that have stat-dropping moves like Draco Meteor because those stat drops don't happen.
I chose to boost moves with no secondary effects by 1.3x instead of just Normal type moves because most Normal-type moves don't have Secondary effects already, as a support option for mons like Zacian-C, and as a way to balance Snorlax because a lot of Fighting type moves don't have secondary effects. The ability also unintentionally benefits physical attackers more than special because a lot of special moves have secondary effects, which also works for flavor since physical attacks are more "standard" than special ones.

Stats: I think a lot of people will initially how 2 thoughts when they first see the stats: "What the hell is that bulk???" and "What the hell is that Special Attack???" but I promise it is ok. I think the bulk is justified because, like I mentioned before, most Fighting type moves are boosted by the terrain, so they do 2.6x damage to MLax (if you see this i didnt put any calcs in to support my claims). The Special Attack is so high because I think a mixed (special) Snorlax would be very funny. Also MLax's most powerful special STAB move would be Terrain Pulse which is just perfect.

Moves: Corrosive Gas and Safeguard thankfully really only help Mega Snorlax, which was a big worry I had going in as I don't want to like, break Lax. Corrosive Gas I put on mostly as a gimmick move, since it probably won't ever really be used. Safeguard, however, could actually be incredibly useful. Since more physical moves than special moves don't have secondary effects, and since physical attackers use setup more often than special attackers (this definitely couldnt be true but i just feel that it is), I would assume that MLax would be paired with more physical attackers. Meaning burn would be a problem. And since you wouldn't be able to use something like Fini to prevent status, Safeguard is the next best thing. It wouldn't be on 100% of sets, but because of the rampant use of burn in Pokémon, Safeguard could be a good way to ensure your physical attackers can reliably do what they do best.

Final Words: Sooo yeah that's about it. I'm really really happy with this Mega Snorlax, much more than I thought I would be. Even though it's designed to fill a much different role than its base form, I think it still thematically and mechanically works as a Snorlax still. Thanks for reading, and feedback is always appreciated! <3

Ema Skye

Work!
:snorlax: Mega Snorlax
New Ability
: Sleep Heal (This Pokemon restores 1/8th HP at the end of each turn it is asleep. This Pokemon attacks with a random move when sleeping instead of its chosen move [functions like Sleep Talk without needing a moveset for it].
Type: Normal

New stats:
HP: 160
Attack: 110 -> 130 (+20)
Defense: 65 -> 75 (+10)
Special Attack: 65 -> 105 (+40)
Special Defense: 110 -> 120 (+10)
Speed: 30 -> 50 (+20)
(640 BST)

New moves: None
Description: If you've played Joltemons you probably recognize the ability: it's the Pillow item as an ability because nothing fits the concept better than the perpetual sleeper. A Sleep version of Poison Heal is definitely weird to get used to as there isn't a Sleep Orb (not that it could use it anyways because Mega), and the most reliable way to activate this ability is to slot Rest somewhere for 2 turns of healing after you topped off.

RestTalk is where this Pokemon will shine though, as it doesn't need to give up a slot for Sleep Talk, giving it three moveslots to work with. This does commit you to the Sleep Talk RNG (25% chance to get the move you want), but it's still an improvement on this classic strategy due to the extra attack slot you are afforded, letting you take advantage of Snorlax's wide movepool.

XzvzX

Banned deucer.
Hello, back again with another slate :)

Interesting ideas for Pokemon, and making a Mega for a Pokemon such as Snorlax is absolutely terrifying... I'll try and balance it out as much as I can!

Mega Snorlax is an interesting one indeed, somehow trying to make this not absolutely wipe out the entire Pokespecies, while being viable; is definitely very hard to actually do: however, not everything is impossible. Here is my take on your lazy boy!
With the Special Bulk to rival even Blissey's, we probably shouldn't increase its already tremendous Special Defense; and to make it prone to physical Fighting Moves, we should only increase its defense by a very small amount, since we don't have much options. Increasing its terribly low speed would be futile due to its base 30 speed. The only options we have are increasing its Sp. Attack and Physical Attack, with a close Sp. Attack to Attack, it could allow Snorlax to run Special or Mixed sets.

Any new moves? Well we could potentially put a Special Attacking boosting move, but I fear that might go over the boundaries a bit, anyways after all this thinking; here is the final result.

Type: Normal / Psychic

Ability: Thick Fat

No New Moves

Stats
Attack: 130 (+20)
Defense: 75 (+10)
Sp. Attack: 125 (+60)
Sp. Defense: 110
Speed: 30
BST: 640

The random burst of energy from the Mega Stone is not normal for Snorlax, its head starts shaking, and soon transforms into a Psychic Type.

Swalot does not have as impressive stats, so we don't need to bother about making it too powerful to the measure that its unbalanced.

Type: Poison / Ice

Ability: Sheer Force

New Moves: Dragon Dance

Stats
HP: 100
Attack: 93 (+20)
Defense: 113 (+30)
Sp. Attack: 103 (+30)
Sp. Defense: 93 (+10)
Speed: 65 (+10)
BST: 567

Instead of making Wailord more bulky, why not make it fast and offensive?

Type: Water / Flying

Ability: Primordial Sea

New Moves: Air Slash & Hurricane

Stats
HP: 170
Attack: 110 (+20)
Defense: 35 (-10)
Sp. Attack: 130 (+40)
Sp. Defense: 35 (-10)
Speed: 120 (+60)
BST: 600

Last edited:

ausma

token smogon furry
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Top Artistis a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
OU Forum Leader
Mega Wailord

:bw/wailord:

/

Ability: Cloud Cycle - Any moves that deal over 1/2 of the opponent's current health will heal the user by half the damage dealt.

HP: 170
Attack: 95 (+5)
Defense: 45
SpAtk: 150 (+60)
SpDef: 75 (+30)
Speed: 65 (+5)

New Moves: Wring Out

Justification:

You guys hear dynamic Water Spout in the chat?

This is probably one of the weirder megas I've made, but the tl;dr is that I wanted to focus on what really defines Wailord as a Pokemon: Water Spout, and large, large moves. Let's not pretend that it's not, because whenever you've used Wailord, you've tried to make it work with Water Spout in some sense. Water Spout in of itself is one hell of an interesting move, and the name of its game is current HP. In order to really get the best value out of Water Spout, your user needs to be healthy. My thought process immediately went to a draining-esque ability for Water-moves, which I believe is something that could work, but where's the fun in just spamming Water Spout and Scald all the time?

This is when I rediscovered Wring Out, a move that has an exact opposite condition to Water Spout. Instead of being based on your HP, it's based on your opponent's. On paper, Wring Out and Water Spout appear incredibly anti-synergy since Water Spout's incredibly high BP actively weakens Wring Out, but with a high risk high reward draining ability that plays to Wring Out/Water Spout's intensely high BP, and Wring Out being able to let it come back against fatter structures it is naturally weakened against as it uses Water Spout, their synergy as a balance/fat busting combo becomes highly apparent. Much like Mega Virizion, it also actively discourages residual chip and encourages you to be deliberate with your opponent's HP thresholds and combo a high power Wring Out with Cloud Cycle's recovery into a highly powerful STAB Water Spout. If you are smart and position yourself just right, you can attain some monumental feats as a Water-type breaker, piercing past highly potent Water-type resists in Toxapex, Kommo-o, and potentially even Ferrothorn. This amount of SpAtk investment just barely lets it OHKO Toxapex with Stealth Rock -> Wring Out -> Water Spout. With Rain this is likely even more potent and there could even be an incentive to run this Wailord over Mega Swampert due to its Ghost- immunity and its ungodly Water Spout under Rain. I chose to dump a good amount into SpDef to play better into Wailord's natural resistances thanks to a unique Water/Normal typing, packing a Fire-, Water-, and Ice-type resistance and a Ghost-type immunity, which can let it find a wealth of safe switch-in opportunities, especially against bulkier structures.

The elephant in the room, though, is pretty obvious: it is a mediocre option against offense due to low-ish Speed, which was incredibly intentional as having it excel as a 2 or more for 1 breaker against every matchup would likely be very concerning. However, it still packs a nuclear Scald and has potent coverage options in Ice Beam and Hidden Power variants if it needs to more directly pierce past a specific kind of Water Spout resistance like Ferrothorn. I also really like how its Speed interacts with its mechanic design, making it so clicking Water Spout against more offensive Pokemon can be a very active risk, but also potentially encouraging the use of Wring Out instead to get to a point where you might be able to click Water Spout against something you're more willing to take a hit from.

Overall, hopefully this is a bit of a fun approach to the Water Spout user archetype that plays into Wailord's BIG flavor!!

Flavor:

Water / Flying was obvious for the big cloud flavor, but I wanted to give it a Normal-type to give its Wring Out STAB. Wring Out, flavorfully, plays to pressure in the ozone layer, squeezing the opponent from the inside out with its giant, tightening presence. Normal- could also in a way be tied to how clouds and the sky as a whole are conceivably plain and regular things we experience in everyday life. Though, maybe that's a stretch. Cloud Cycle sounds much nicer than condensation as an ability, but essentially the idea basically plays to how in a way, its attacks evaporate into damage, and the damage condescends back into health for Wailord. Sounds weird but I promise it makes sense in my head-

Mega Snorlax

:bw/snorlax:

/

Ability: Quick Feet

Attack: 120 (+10)
Defense: 65
SpAtk: 115 (+50)
SpDef: 110
Speed: 70 (+40)

New Moves: None!

Uh oh, here's another weird one!

Mega Evolution awakens a primordial, berserk aura in Snorlax, a la Z-Energy, bringing out a highly aggressive and wild being that was once dormant and lazy. What results is a mixed attacking menace that dips into Snorlax's absolutely bananas offensive movepool, consisting of coverage up the ass and really quirky setup options in Belly Drum and Work Up. Coverage like BoltBeam, Hydro Pump, Darkest Lariat, Focus Blast, Gunk Shot, Rock Slide, Earthquake, Fire Blast, and then random options like Seed Bomb and Shadow Ball are all incredibly potent in their own right, and are not only super augmented by the gigantic burst in SpAtk gain, but pair amazingly with its offensive typing. Plus, let's be fair, Snorlax's base stats don't really need a lot of help and this lets Snorlax take a more fun angle that plays to its wacky ass kit.

Now, let's talk about Quick Feet. Did you guys know that Sleep actually boosts Quick Feet? I just learned that, and boy is this one a doozy. Before we get to Sleep, though, let's talk about how status is a fairly important and common-place interaction with base Snorlax, especially if it opts for Belly Drum. It detests Burn and Paralysis, but notably... it packs STAB Facade which bypasses Burn and is instead heightened to hellish strength. Burn and Paralysis actually buff it, with Burn in particular really giving Work Up variants a gigantic buff with Facade and Focus Blast ripping through 90% of things. Quick Feet in particular is more interesting for this than Guts because it already would pack the strength it would naturally want, and Quick Feet instead lets it play more into a practical mixed wallbreaking role and actually incentivizes it to soak status. If it decides to play into a bulky Belly Drum/Work Up set and decides to use Rest, it can give itself a Speed boost and even viably use Snore, which is probably the most satisfying thing ever. Of course, RestTalk is also likely just as potent, and it has the natural STAB combo to really excel with just two attacks while letting it play to its natural bulk and defensive utility which is augmented by a stronger defensive typing. With Quick Feet, I was careful to make sure it wouldn't hit the important 130 threshold. Basically, with Quick Feet, Snorlax becomes a very weird, multi-faceted status absorber that plays to its amazing coverage, weird setup options, bulk, and typing that lets it play a completely different game as an offensive Pokemon compared to its base counterpart.

Last edited:
:Swalot: Mega Swalot
New Ability: Endless Stomach (Stockpiles effect doesn't end after spit up or swallow, This pokemons defense can't be dropped below neutral by Spit up or Swallow)
Type: Poison
New stats:
HP:100
Attack: 100(+27)
Defense: 90(+7)
Special Attack:110(+37)
Special Defense: 90(+7)
Speed: 77(+22)
New moves: Flamethrower, Thunderbolt
:Snorlax: Mega Snorlax
New Ability: Comatose
Type: Normal/Psychic
New stats:
Attack: 110
Defense: 100(+35)
Special Attack: 120(+55)
Special Defense: 120(+10)
Speed: 30
New moves: Calm Mind , Future Sight

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 7)