Pet Mod Megas for All v7 - Kalos concluded! | Please read the first post! | Fully playable through Kalos Slate 10!

Mega Guzzlord
Dark/Dragon
Stats: 223/127/67/113/79/61
Ability: Omnivore (User gains a Stockpile stage, but not any defense boosts, when hit)
New Moves: none

At heart, Guzzlord is a survivor. While 127 isn't high for a Mega with no particular offensive boosts (unless you get a Beast Boost before the form change), its considerable bulk will let it soak up as well as it dishes out, if not more. Also, it can actually use Swallow.

Mega-Articuno

Types :

Ability : Neige
Ability Description : This Pokemon's Water-type moves become Ice-type moves and have their power multiplied by 1.2.
Mega Stone : Articunite
Stats :
HP: 90
ATK: 95 (+10)
DEF: 105 (+5)
SPA: 140 (+45)
SPD: 145 (+20)
SPE: 105 (+20)
New Moves : Calm Mind, Hydro Pump, Surf, Aqua Tail, Flip Turn
Pokemon Yellow : "A legendary bird POKéMON. It freezes water that is contained in winter air and makes it snow."
Many people have submitted an Articuno with immunity to SR. I really like that and I myself have created a mini-mod (not public) in which Articuno has Mountaineer. But I thought that Articuno should keep this weakness (and his bad but sexy type), that it was part of him. With his new talent and his recent access to Calm Mind, he may turn out to be a very good sweeper despite his SR weakness.

Mega-Virizion

Types :

Ability : Natural Cure
Mega Stone : Viridite
Stats :
HP: 91
ATK: 120 (+30)
DEF: 92 (+20)
SPA: 120 (+30)
SPD: 141 (+12)
SPE: 116 (+8)
New Moves : High Horsepower, U-Turn, Aromatherapy, Tailwind, Earth Power
Ash-Gren Killer

Mega-Guzzlord

Types :

Ability : Dark Stomach
Ability Description : All Dark-type offensive moves of this pokemon remove the opponent's item.
Mega Stone : Guzzlordite
Stats :
HP: 223
ATK: 137 (+36)
DEF: 67 (+14)
SPA: 113 (+16)
SPD: 71 (+18)
SPE: 59 (+16)
New Moves : Hone Claws, Scale Shot, Darkest Lariat
Its stats are prime numbers

Last edited:

Gravity Monkey

Que des barz comme si jtais au hebs
is a Top Artist
:articuno: Hi! Uh, so this is one I wasn't totally sure how to feel about on account of Articuno's inherent drawbacks, so I conferred with other members of the council to make sure I didn't make an unreasonable judgment, but we agreed it would be unhealthy to allow this - instant 100% and status curing makes it unreasonably hard to break this or make progress against it once it's in, and it seems probable that it would just be degenerate and frustrating to deal with. (Weather is not an effective drawback because it's not something every matchup will prepare - a team simply either has weather up all the time or doesn't, so relying on weather as counterplay makes this a matchup fish at best.)
It might help if you tried to justify it more or gave more detail on why you think this kind of Pokémon would be beneficial for a metagame, but I am not inclined to allow it as it is; the Ability seems in some ways fundamentally hard to work with, and the binary of "KO in one move or not at all" is not really great for the game?
yea thats fair, deleting it

Collab with Hematemesis and Lord Pxperto!!!

:swsh/guzzlord:
Mega-Guzzlord
Type: Dark/Dragon
Ability: Filter
Stats:
ATK: 101 -> 127 (+26)
DEF: 53 -> 83 (+30)
SPA: 97 -> 97
SPD: 53 -> 79 (+26)
SPE: 43 -> 61 (+18)
New Moves: None

Summary: Guzzlord is quite the chonky Ultra Beast (in fact, its the 8th heaviest Pokemon!) So, what about making use of that thickness and filtering out all that super-effective damage? Mega-Guzzlord uses Filter to help negate some of its common weaknesses like U-Turn, Close Combat, Ice, and Fairy moves. Its increased bulk allows it to take quite a few hits, while being able to deal decent damage in return. 61 base speed is It relies heavily on Wish support to be able to continuously tank super-effective hits, but can also run a funny gimmick Rest/Stockpile set to basically wall everything if it doesn't get statused.

Mega Guzzlord :Guzzlord:
Types: Dark/Dragon
Ability: Berry Blender - On entry, this Pokémon eats a berry based on its current HP:
100% HP = Starf Berry
99% - 34% = Sitrus Berry
33% - 1% = Custap Berry
New Move(s): Power Up Punch
223/131/73/127/73/43
ATK: 131(+30)
DEF: 73(+20)
SP.ATK: 127(+30)
SP.DEF: 73(+20)
SPEED: 43(0)
1639057335396.png

Paulluxx

[Regional Manager of Big Shifu]
is a Community Contributor
Collaboration with my dear friend BlueRay, this one is a lot of fun, hope you enjoy.
:Articuno:
Mega Articuno

Ability
: Technician

Type: Ice | Flying

New Stats
:
Attack: 85 → 96 (+11)
Defense: 100
Special Attack: 95 → 137 (+42)
Special Defense: 125 → 145 (+20)
Speed: 85 → 112 (+27)
BST: 580 → 680 (+100)

New Moves:

Frozen Wasteland brrrrr… it’s cold here.

Description:
1) Concept
This concept is mostly based on its competitive applications, trying to make a role Articuno itself can do without removing things from its intrinsic competitive design, using moves and functions this Mon, as a Pokémon itself can do. Make it with the rocks weakness, without removing the rocks weakness. That’s why we decided to go the way of its RBY niche, a brutally strong Mixed Cleaner, with access to some of the strongest moves in the game.

Technician as an ability is rather vague in flavor, given to various Pokémon to do various things, but the underlying feature is that they’re skilled(Experto in Spanish) at something, be it musicians, cutters, fighters, or even Mimes. And this gives the Mountain Bird, Articuno, saver of climbers great reason to have Technician
2) Competitive
This Pokémon is meant to echo its niche in RBY as a mixed cleaner in Singles. Furthermore, it can disrupt as well as threaten opposing Pokémon in VGC.

Here are some examples of what Mega Articuno is able to do with Technician:
- uninvested Triple Axel can 2HKO Blissey
- you can abuse Frost Breath, Water Pulse and Hidden Power
- in VGC, you can rely on Sky Drop, Icy Wind, and Air Cutter to disrupt and threaten the opponent

Air Cutter is a big deal since no other Pokémon but Mega Articuno relies on a decent spread move boosted by Technician, which can take out Urshifu in VGC, for instance.

In singles due to its great speed tier and amazing all around bulk it can be a cleaner using agility as well as just a bulky attacker, able to take advantage of specific metagame trends, and specifically invest in bulk to set up against certain threats. For example Specs Kyurem Ice beams, only require Max HP, and 96 special defense to have a pretty much guaranteed 3hko. And as a defensive check to Ash Greninja it can work exceptionally well. Also due to the tool of Technician Frost Breath, a 135 BP Ice STAB move, that in conjunction with Technician HP Ground, can make it an excellent Wallbreaker, on par with Kyurem. But it can also break Blissey very easily as mentioned above. Access to Technician Dual Wingbeat can also facilitate a mixed breaker set.

Last edited:
I hope i have enough time to post this! Just a sudden inspiration brought by my nephew, that loves to collect TCG cards. If considered too strong or illegal, i'll see what I can do. Probably will delete it.

:ss/Virizion:
Type: Grass/Fighting
Abilitiy:
Verdant Winds
During Grassy Terrain, prevents this pokémon and it's partners from being afflicted by non-volatile status conditions, Flinch and Yawn (including via the Flame Orb and Toxic Orb). It also removes any current status condition prior to the terrain being set up. Can't use Rest.
New moves: n/a
Stats:
HP: 91 > 91
ATK: 90 > 90(-)
DEF: 72 > 145 (+73)
SPA: 90 > 90 (-)
SPD: 129 > 145 (+16)
SPE: 108 > 109 (+1)

1. Flavor

It's another idea I had when looking to the TCG game. The Virizion-EX card has this ability called "Verdant Winds", that makes every pokemon that have grass energy attached to it, not beeing affect by special conditions (and remove them). Prevents the use of Rest.

The idea is about Virizion whirlwind-like movements improves while a verdant field (grassy terrain) is active, making itself and its allies immune to any condition that would prejudice them.

Whilwind uppon grassy lands casts the "verdant winds", a mix o fresh and pure air that helps Virizion and it's allies with issues like toxins, paralysis, bad dreams... After all, who doesn't love nature's fresh and pure air?

It is a better version of Leaf Guard? Yes it is. But it fits perfectly on Virizion ;P

2. Competitive

Grass spam! With such great grassy terrain setters in Bulu and Rillaboom, and abusers like Bandana (lol), Mega-Virizion with it's amazing 91/145/145 bulk, burn and paralysis immunity and also Flinch immune (bye bye fake out users in doubles), while also abusing boosted grass moves (including priority Grassy Glide) makes this mega a valueble choice over Mega-Rillaboom for doubles, and even Singles. In fact, it is a Rillaboom counter itself (except for Grassy Seed + Acrobatics set).

Mega-Virizion is also amazing in Grass Monotype formats. The capacity to hard hit steel types with STAB fighting moves, good coverage, along with immunity to status, turns Mega-Virizion into a premier mega of choice for any monotype grass.

Last edited:
Hello, everyone!!
It's now time for the submission phase to close and for voting to begin!! Sorry for the late post, but hopefully you'll understand why at the end :'D

:sm/Virizion::sm/Articuno::sm/Guzzlord:

As always, I really appreciate everyone who took the time to respond to the feedback I gave!!
It seems like almost everyone once again managed to edit their subs in time, which is always fantastic to see!

I'll still take this opportunity to tag everyone who didn't make it in case you still wanted to make changes, of course!
As is the usual policy, it's not too late to update your sub if you just didn't have time in the last 24 hours! If you need to make any changes to a disqualified sub before the voting phase closes, just let us know by DM or in the Discord, and I'll add it back right away if it's fixed! As long as there are still people voting, you have time to win their votes, haha.
Please make sure to get in touch with the same council member who compiled subs for that Pokémon!
That is, please reach out to me if you have changes to make to Articuno or Virizion and inkbug if you have changes to make to Guzzlord.
We can't edit each other's posts, so it's important to let the right person know about any updates! C:

With that said, subs from the following people are still being excluded at the moment:
:articuno: MegaFlareon and XzvzX (no change) and Ludicrousity (we discussed this on Discord and they know already!)
There are three main things that make me have a problem with it, one of which is arguably much more important than the other two--

- Relatively minor gripe, but I don't like the idea of an Ability that is designed to rest on the assumption of Freeze Clause; although that's something our main format has, it's not an official rule, so it's implausible and optically unsound for it to be an integral part of a Pokémon's design
We added Freeze Clause as something of a hotfix to tone down a Mega that already existed but wasn't by any means demonstrably broken without it, but I'm not a fan of the idea that it should be taken as a reason to run away with freeze and take it farther than an official Pokémon could

- Also notably, while we are meant to avoid vetoing things solely on the grounds of being unbalanced in VGC, there is an extent to which being... convincingly possible to function in doubles without being completely ridiculous at a glance is still optically important (we put a lot of emphasis on realism here, and a Mega shouldn't really ignore the existence of one of our main formats just because the easy way out is to ban it there)
and I'm not sure if you put thought into how the Ability is supposed to function in a doubles environment (the general assumption for an effect comparable to this would be "all adjacent opponents," but that's obviously unworkable; more likely would just one opponent), but even if this were to affect only the opponent directly across from Articuno and were completely consistent, it would be an excessive form of disruption beyond reason - like a Fake Out (one of the best moves in the format) that you could use without warning on any turn while also switching out, making the turn almost completely impossible to plan for your opponent and easily creating 2v1 situations

- Probably most importantly, I don't actually think this is even balanced in singles; even if freeze from the Ability strictly has a duration of only one move, there are still some very easy ways to exploit that for more than a safe switch, like if Articuno manages to slow-pivot out of something with U-turn or even if it pivots on the same turn that the opponent switches out directly; as long as the opponent doesn't make a move later in the turn than Articuno switches out, they are still frozen for the ally that replaces it, which is a much-too-easy way to grant one "absolutely safe turn" to any ally to do whatever you want, which is a lot stronger than it might sound and is something I would argue is fundamentally broken
Even aside from the potential of getting an extra free turn, I think the idea of your opponent having a "dead turn" where they can't act at all while you switch is uncompetitive, because it's a crazy form of no-risk defensive pivoting that lets you bring in an offensive answer to a threat without either of your Pokémon (Articuno or the switch-in) having to take a hit, something well beyond what even the most extreme of pivoting moves (Parting Shot and Teleport, both of which are notable for how safe they make the switch-in) can offer
This was acknowledged already, but I thought it would be useful to have it in the thread for transparency!

:guzzlord: XzvzX (no change)
If any of you still want to make changes and get them in, now would be the time!
Every other submission (unless I missed anything but definitely please yell at me if I did) is included! Thank you guys so much for your cooperation and your fantastic ideas! C:

In addition, huge thanks to inkbug for helping with the sub combinations this slate!
Without further ado, here is my section of the compilation post!

Slate 40 Voting

Reminder on Voting Rules

For a reminder, Megas for All uses a variation on instant runoff voting, meaning that it uses a systematic process of elimination to find the submission that's supported by the most people. This system takes into account both the total number of people who voted for the submission at all and how those people ranked it in relation to any other submissions that have not been eliminated.

Your votes should consist of however many submissions you like.​
Including a submission in your post at all is "voting for it," but you can vote for as many (or as few) as you want! It doesn't have to be exactly three.​
Your votes should also be ranked from most preferred to least preferred, just like they were in the previous system.​

It's also now acceptable to self-vote in first!​
One of the benefits of the new system is that you get less extreme an advantage from this and there's not as much room for one individual to swing the results dramatically in their own favor, so we can afford to loosen up the rules in that area.​
That said, I would still ask you to include at least two other people in your vote if one of your votes is for yourself (this was already in the rules before).​

Please make sure you tell inkbug if you edit your vote! He generally adds them to his list as soon as they're posted, so edits may go unnoticed. You can contact him on his profile here or on the Discord. C:​

Legal Submissions

:articuno: Mega Articuno
New Ability
: Pressure / Snow Cloak -> Deep Fog
(When this Pokémon falls below 50% HP, it immediately uses Haze.)
Type: Ice / Flying

New Stats:
Attack: 85
Defense: 100 -> 115 (+15)
Sp. Atk: 95 -> 105 (+10)
Sp. Def: 125 -> 165 (+40)
Speed: 85 -> 120 (+35)
(680 BST)

New moves: Taunt
Description: Instead of going the Magic Guard / minimizing Stealth Rock damage route, this Mega Articuno takes advantage of its horrible SR weakness to activate Deep Fog. Haze on switch-in is pretty broken, but Mega Articuno's unique activation method can allow it to pretty reliably ruin the days of certain set-up sweepers, then Roost off the damage with its greatly increased Speed stat and escape. At full HP, it can directly switch in on bulky QD Volcarona's Flamethrower, Hawlucha's Close Combat, CM Reuniclus and Clefable's Thunders, SD Garchomp's Fire Fang, NP Alakazam's Psychic, and more, immediately removing their boosts if Stealth Rock is up and surviving. Of course, this isn't the optimal situation for it; it much prefers to enter battle after a faint or a slow pivot, where it can do things like clear Mega Dragonite's Dragon Dances and force it out, deny Mega Lurantis its omniboosts and threaten it with Toxic, Freeze-Dry, or Hurricane, or scare out a Swords Danced or Rock Polished Lando-T (although it can also try to switch in directly on an Earthquake if you want to push your luck). Taunt produces some interesting mindgames - do you try to set up again while they Roost off the damage they took on switch-in, or do you attack on a Taunt and remove them?

The result of all of this is that Mega Articuno adds some interesting opportunity cost to setting Stealth Rock. It might be necessary to achieve certain KOs, but you might also be ruining your win condition if you set up only to have Mega Articuno remove your boosts simply by switching in. It's held in check by a cruddy defensive typing (as always) and a pretty severe case of 4MSS - it can't run all of Roost, Toxic, Haze, Taunt, Freeze-Dry, U-turn, and Hurricane. It also flounders against stall, although it's a nice stall tool in and of itself; Haze at below 50% doesn't matter if your opponent isn't setting up anyways.
New Ability
: Pale (WIP?) (Summons Mist on switch-in or on mega evolution.)
Type:
|

New stats:
Attack: 105
Defense: 125
Special Attack: 120
Special Defense: 125
Speed: 115
(680 BST)

New moves:
Description:
:ss/articuno:
Mega Articuno
New Ability: Diamond Dust
Type:

Stats:
HP- 90
Atk- 85
Def- 100(+10) --> 110
SpAtk- 95(+50) --> 145
SpDef- 125(+20) --> 145
Spe- 85(+20) --> 105
BST- 580(+100) --> 680

New Moves: Wish, Sparkling Aria, Magic Coat
Description:
"It freezes water that is contained in winter air and makes it snow"
Look at the above PokeDex entry. This is practically asking for Diamond Dust.

Currently the signature ability of :aurorus: Mega Aurorus, Diamond Dust is actually pretty interesting on Articuno. Due to its Flying type granting an immunity to Ground, and the weather granting an immunity to Rock (its former 4x weakness), Mega Articuno now has an EdgeQuake immunity.

Common users of EdgeQuake, such as :landorus_therian: Landorus Therian or :garchomp: Garchomp happen to also be weak to Ice. This gives it a new role in countering these Pokemon, the opposite of Aurorus which is actually weak to them due to the Electric type.

It is also worth noting that Articuno has excellent utility that it can now employ at any moment thanks to its 4x Stealth Rock weakness being nullified. Things like Tailwind, Defog, Aurora Veil, Heal Bell, and Wish are always appreciated by its teammates.

In VGC, this utility makes Mega Articuno a great Pokemon to pair with Slush Rush abusers such as :arctozolt: Arctozolt. It even has access to Icy Wind in order to slow down opponents. This is in contrast to the more offensive playstyle of Mega Aurorus.
:ss/Articuno:
Articuno-Mega
Ice/Flying
Ability: Pressure/Snow Cloak-> Dazzling
Stats
Atk: 95 (+10)
Def: 100
SpA: 135 (+40)
SpD:
135 (+10)
Spe: 125 (+40)
New Moves: Aura Sphere, Calm Mind, Surf

Description
: With the speed stat to quickly Roost off any Rocks chip and Dazzling, Articuno can work around its greatest weakness while also carving itself a unique role as an anti priority Mega, a role I decided to go all in with. STABs force the likes of Rillaboom and Urshifu to stay on their toes, Aura Sphere gives it the coverage to hit the likes of Duskroc, Bisharp and Weavile and Calm Mind gives it the power boost necessary to score an OHKO against those users since some can OHKO back with other moves. Either CM or 3 Attacks + Roost can exert solid offensive pressure in general even if its bulk doesn't fully make up for that defensive typing. With its power, speed and ability, Articuno- Mega is a decently bulky breaker and can be a lifesaver for priority weak teams.
:bw/articuno:
Mega Articuno
New Ability
: Freezing Point
-Userdeal x1.5 damage with ice type moves. (Ice type transistor)"
Type: Water/Flying
Stats:
HP- 90
Atk- 85(+45) --> 130
Def
- 100(+30) --> 130
SpA- 95(-10) --> 85
SpD 125(+5) --> 130
Spe
- 85(+30) --> 115
(670 BST)
New moves: Waterfall, Sparkling Aria, Taunt
Description:

"I failed to make any ability that prevents stealth rock damage, or any variation of rock immunity ability, so I decided to replace the ice type with water type, a better type defensively, but still keep its Ice-type STAB with its ability. I swapped the offense because of um Brave Bird and Triple Axel, which is 2 good physical STAB, keeping it away from being a passive defogger, but we could swap the offense back in the future. "

Pokemon: Articuno :Articuno:
Ability: Stratosphere: This pokemon flies high above the ground, and all rock type moves have a 100% chance of missing while the user is on the battlefield. Stealth rock damage immune.
Type:

Stats:
Attack: 95 (+10)
Defense: 125 (+25)
Special Attack: 95
Special Defense: 150 (+25)
Speed: 125 (+40)
New Moves: Seismic Toss
Description: Behold, my latest inator! A flying type defog user! The ice type is terrible defensively, especially when typed alongside another stealth rock weak pokemon, but I tried to make Articuno shine defensively despite this flaw (as its other two brethren do this as well). Articuno's ability Stratosphere shores up its horrendous rock usage, which allows it to soar defensively. This, in turn, allows it to use its many cool options, such as defog, tailwind, toxic, u-turn, hurricane, freeze-dry, ice beam, triple axel, brave bird, and the newly added seismic toss to name just a few all of them XP. You can run a defog pivot, or a Blissey-like stoss toxicer for extra annoyance. Despite this, it cannot actually do that much aside from be glue, and still has a fair amount of typing weaknesses. Having something like this in the meta would be extremely beneficial, as it checks some pretty significant meta threats currently running amock and provides a nifty alternative to the incredibly stale Corvinkight. This idea is so excellent you clinically have to vote for it! Enjoy!
mega articuno

ice/flying
stats
hp- 90
atk- 85(+20)>105
def- 100
spa- 95(+40)>135
spd- 125(+25)>150
spe- 85(+15)>100

ability: cave dweller- the user is immune to rock type moves, sandstorm damage, and stealth rocks, if hit by a rock type move the user's defense is raised by 1 stage
articuno has spent so much time living in deep dark icy caves, dodging stalagmites and stalactites and the occasional geodude that it's become an expert in avoiding all rocky attacks making it more boastful and allowing it to defend against other attacks even better
Mega :swsh/articuno: Articuno
Type:
Ice/Flying
Mega Stone: Articite

Ability: Snowflake - When this Pokémon takes Rock-type damage, it sets Aurora Veil.

Stats:
HP - 90 (+0)
ATK - 85 (+0)
DEF - 156 (+56)
SPA - 101 (+6)
SPD - 125 (+0)
SPE - 123 (+38)

New Moves: Healing Wish, Taunt

Description:
Dex Entry: Articuno's ability to freeze the air and create blizzards becomes supercharged with Mega Energy - the air around it drops to such a low temperature that even the slightest bit of moisture clings and freezes to its body, creating a coat and shield of snowflakes that protects it when struck.

Mega Articuno's snowflake coat breaks off when hit, absorbing the impact much like the front of a car is designed to crumple. This also shatters the crystallized ice into a fine powder, dispersing through the air and forming the Aurora Veil.
There were two main questions I wanted to answer with Articuno’s Mega - how could I incorporate Articuno’s heavy snow and aurora flavor without forcing it to compete with the saturated pool of hail megas, and how would I get around its weakness to Stealth Rocks when it couldn’t hold boots?

This quite effectively does both - and in a rather interesting way. We’ve already had a few abilities suggested to activate upon being hit by hazards in the past, and while those usually included immunity to those hazards, it’s very important that I didn’t here. One, for balance - Aurora Veil on entry without any drawbacks would be entirely broken, even if it relied on the precondition of the enemy setting hazards. Two, for mechanical neatness. Neatness holding true for both of the meanings - clean and tidy, and just plain cool.

See, this ability will only be activating on stealth rocks and not any other hazard - which means Articuno will be losing exactly half of its health every time this procs. And losing half of your health to set an effect that doubles your bulk is… a pretty obviously really cool synergy and interaction. As long as as Articuno stays under its Aurora Veil, it effectively negates the damage it took from the rocks, and it can take a turn to Roost to receive the full benefit of its Veil.

And here comes the second balancing measure - Roost. Taking half health on entry means that you’re basically forced to either heal or use Articuno as a suicide setter. It’s obvious why the latter is a pretty big drawback - there’s a lot of potential for reward with this HO style to sacrifice Articuno in order to pass a near-instant veil to your teammates, but there’s inherently a ton of risk in doing that as well. If you go the likely more mainstream and safe route, it becomes much harder for allies to abuse the Veil - the turn it activates, the turn to Roost back up, and then the turn to either hard switch or U-turn takes up three of Veil’s five turns. So even if you bring in Articuno for no reason other to set Veil, you’re only getting a very predictable two turn window to try and use it. While there will certainly be playstyles that incorporate both of these strategies, this goes a long way towards encouraging Articuno to utilize its Aurora Veil for itself and act as a bulky special breaker/utility mon.

But this is Rock-type damage and not Stealth Rocks, so what's the deal with that? See, Stealth Rock isn't a problem for no reason, obviously, it's because Articuno has a 4x weakness to the Rock-type. Since we have precedent for abilities to interact with Rock-type damage (thanks Hema), I chose to go this route (thanks Hema). While many people are going for the easy solution of just making it entirely immune (again, thanks Hema for giving Diamond Dust to a not 4x weak mon :P ), I chose to make this much more of a risk-reward situation. Weaknesses are weaknesses and Articuno can't ignore that fact entirely, but it generates a really nice incentive to playing intelligently around those weaknesses using Articuno's huge bulk and, ironically, type advantage over many of the common Rock attacks seen in the meta. Many strong STAB users will outright destroy Articuno, which is a good thing, but in doing so they still have to worry about setting up a free full-length Aurora Veil for the enemy team and giving them a chance to turn the game around and stop the mon in their tracks. However, the most common instances of Rock moves you see aren't on STAB users at all - they're on mons like Lando-T, Gliscor, and Garchomp. Notice a pattern? Articuno hard punishes the Rocks set by these mons and the Stone Edges commonly wielded by Lando-T and Garchomp. Articuno's physical bulk is enough to let it always live a non-crit Stone Edge from Lando-T on entry with max HP but no defensive investment, and then proceed to outspeed and threaten the OHKO non-Scarf Jolly sets by running Timid itself without any EV investment in that either. Due to the great synergy and cleanliness of its ability, this is also true for whether Stealth Rocks were set up or not as well. Articuno can use this position to go in for the kill, or take advantage of the inevitable switch to Roost or Defog for free. It also takes Stone Edges from Garchomp extremely well - the only way for Chomp to break it is either hitting it with Rockium Z or an already Swords Dance boosted SEdge on the switch. In either case, this is still a good momentum kill for the Articuno user as now Chomp effectively loses its Swords Dance boost into Veil (and has to click it twice more to get it back instead of once) or is now facing a Veiled team without its Z-move.

Articuno's ability in combination with its moves and stats make it an incredibly versatile defensive or offensive mon that can not only generate hard synergy teams built around it but work effectively in many other teams as a later slot-in and glue.
:ss/articuno:

Type: Ice/Flying
Ability: Ice Scales

Atk: 100 (+15)
Def: 110 (+10)
SpA: 160 (+65)
SpD: 125
Spe: 95 (+10)

New Moves: None :)

Reasoning: Wow! 90/100/125 bulk, with Freeze-Dry and reliable recovery? Remember when Articuno took advantage of that since Stealth Rock? Neither do we. Anyway, we're here to fix that. Ice Scales vastly increases its special bulk, allowing this thing to take even super effective hits on the special side, and shrug them off with a quick Roost:

252 SpA Tapu Koko Thunderbolt vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Ice Scales Articuno in Electric Terrain: 127-151 (33.1 - 39.4%) -- 100% chance to 3HKO

Add a significant improvement to its SpA, and it actually becomes able to dish out damage in return as well:

8 SpA Articuno Freeze-Dry vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Tapu Koko: 144-171 (51.2 - 60.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

An extra 10 Spe will help Mega Articuno outspeed opponents like Excadrill or Mega Vikavolt, and uninvested it will also outspeed max invested opponents up to base 63 Spe. Furthermore, Mega Articuno could potentially run Curse on niche sets, paired with Triple Axel and/or Brave Bird. Now looking at this we know it might seem very strong at first glance, but just like base Articuno, this has some common balancing factors. The first one is very obvious: Stealth Rock. Its inability to hold boots, paired with its 4x weakness to rocks, makes it very difficult for Mega Articuno to switch in to when Stealth Rocks are up. In addition, since a lot of commonly used Defoggers are also Flying type, running Mega Articuno might limit your options for hazard removal, or at least cause more type overlap on your team. Next, Articuno struggles against Steel types, and this Mega Articuno is no different. As its Ice type prevented it from getting access to Heat Wave like most other Flying types, its best move to hit Steel types with is HP Ground. This is obviously still a decent option, but not an incredibly strong move. Lastly, its defensive typing in Ice/Flying is not ideal, allowing opponents to take it down, despite its ludicrous special bulk. That said, on a team built around these weaknesses, Mega Articuno can be quite an effective tank.
Articuno-Mega
Typing:
/

New Ability: High-Altitude Hiker - This Pokemon is healed 1/4 by Ice, 1/8 by Hail; is hurt 1.25x by Fire, 1/8 by Sun.
{pre-Mega abilities were Pressure / Snow Cloak (hidden ability)}
STATS:
HP:
Atk: 085 → 110 (+25)
Def: 100 → 120 (+20)
SpA: 095 → 115 (+20)
SpD: 125 → 135 (+10)
Spe: 085 → 110 (+25)
(BST: 580 → 680)

Added Moves: Aqua Jet, Liquidation, Surf

Pokémon Sword: "The energy of Mega Evolution has made the ice of Articuno's wings unstable, forcing it to avoid being in the sun for long periods."
Pokémon Shield: "Its command of moisture is now grander than ever, though it has come at the cost of the beauty of its blue, icy wings and an increase in bitterly cold cruelty."

Description: I'm choosing to recycle the ability I had for Stoutland-Mega just so that Articuno at least has a niche as the only Flying type that actually resists Ice--in this case, outright absorbs it--and still plays nicely with Hail instead of trying to be yet another setter for it. Sure, that brings a greater Fire weakness that isn't good, but it now has (non-STAB) tools to fight Fire types more directly on both sides of the spectrum via getting actually decent Water attacks now--how did it never get at least Surf in all these years? I figured that giving it almost equal offenses with newfound coverage would be better than making it overly bulky even if it's basically still a half-dead mon walking--well, flying--if Stealth Rocks are up. Despite their ubiquity in the face of Heavy-Duty Boots, however, I'm trying not to assume that Stealth Rocks will always be up, so here we are, trying not to be as obnoxiously bulky as the Lati-Megas.
Mega-Articuno

Types :

Ability : Neige
Ability Description : This Pokemon's Water-type moves become Ice-type moves and have their power multiplied by 1.2.
Mega Stone : Articunite
Stats :
ATK: 95 (+10)
DEF: 105 (+5)
SPA: 140 (+45)
SPD: 145 (+20)
SPE: 105 (+20)
New Moves : Calm Mind, Hydro Pump, Surf, Aqua Tail, Flip Turn
Pokemon Yellow : "A legendary bird POKéMON. It freezes water that is contained in winter air and makes it snow."
Many people have submitted an Articuno with immunity to SR. I really like that and I myself have created a mini-mod (not public) in which Articuno has Mountaineer. But I thought that Articuno should keep this weakness (and his bad but sexy type), that it was part of him. With his new talent and his recent access to Calm Mind, he may turn out to be a very good sweeper despite his SR weakness.

Mega Articuno

Ability
: Technician

Type: Ice | Flying

New Stats
:
Attack: 85 → 96 (+11)
Defense: 100
Special Attack: 95 → 137 (+42)
Special Defense: 125 → 145 (+20)
Speed: 85 → 112 (+27)

New Moves:

Frozen Wasteland brrrrr… it’s cold here.

Description:
1) Concept
This concept is mostly based on its competitive applications, trying to make a role Articuno itself can do without removing things from its intrinsic competitive design, using moves and functions this Mon, as a Pokémon itself can do. Make it with the rocks weakness, without removing the rocks weakness. That’s why we decided to go the way of its RBY niche, a brutally strong Mixed Cleaner, with access to some of the strongest moves in the game.

Technician as an ability is rather vague in flavor, given to various Pokémon to do various things, but the underlying feature is that they’re skilled(Experto in Spanish) at something, be it musicians, cutters, fighters, or even Mimes. And this gives the Mountain Bird, Articuno, saver of climbers great reason to have Technician
2) Competitive
This Pokémon is meant to echo its niche in RBY as a mixed cleaner in Singles. Furthermore, it can disrupt as well as threaten opposing Pokémon in VGC.

Here are some examples of what Mega Articuno is able to do with Technician:
- uninvested Triple Axel can 2HKO Blissey
- you can abuse Frost Breath, Water Pulse and Hidden Power
- in VGC, you can rely on Sky Drop, Icy Wind, and Air Cutter to disrupt and threaten the opponent

Air Cutter is a big deal since no other Pokémon but Mega Articuno relies on a decent spread move boosted by Technician, which can take out Urshifu in VGC, for instance.

In singles due to its great speed tier and amazing all around bulk it can be a cleaner using agility as well as just a bulky attacker, able to take advantage of specific metagame trends, and specifically invest in bulk to set up against certain threats. For example Specs Kyurem Ice beams, only require Max HP, and 96 special defense to have a pretty much guaranteed 3hko. And as a defensive check to Ash Greninja it can work exceptionally well. Also due to the tool of Technician Frost Breath, a 135 BP Ice STAB move, that in conjunction with Technician HP Ground, can make it an excellent Wallbreaker, on par with Kyurem. But it can also break Blissey very easily as mentioned above. Access to Technician Dual Wingbeat can also facilitate a mixed breaker set.

:virizion: Mega Virizion
:Virizion:

Mega Virizion

Ability: Download

Type: Grass | Fighting

New Stats:

Attack: 90 → 108 (+18)
Defense: 72 → 99 (+27)
Special Attack: 90 → 135 (+45)
Special Defense: 129 → 139 (+10)
Speed: 108

New moves:
Tailwind

Description:
1) Concept
The path to victory is a scientific one: examination, analysis, and testing.

This refers to a deck archetype that Andrew Estrada used during a tournament, leading to his title as a World Champion in 2014. The deck is centred around Virizion and Genesect who work together to defend themselves from their enemies and quickly launch powerful attacks, overwhelming opponents in the process. This strategy requires precise planning.

Against this background, Download Virizion is meant to allude to its loyal partner Genesect who shares this ability, and encourage careful planning.

Flavour wise, you could argue Virizion uses its sensory nerves to detect changes in its surrounding, like smell or sound, which is why it can adapt to any situation. This approach also extends to enemies it tries to trick before taking them out.

2) Competitive
This Virizion is meant to gather information and threaten opponents with its flexibile offense.

- Aside from Genesect, which is banned, Mega Virizion is the only Download user in M4A OU able to run mixed offensive sets; after all, Pokémon weak to Fighting tend to have a higher SpD, like Blissey, Ferrothorn or Heatran while Water and Ground Pokémon tend to have a high physical bulk.
- Mega Virizion can use its typing to switch multiple times into types it resists and check their defensive preference (Def or SpD), allowing you to draw conclusions from that and form counter strategies.
- Download synergizes and somewhat offsets the downside of Leaf Storm.
- Due to the special bias in VGC, Virizion can often acquire an Atk boost and take advantage of that, unlike Porygon2, Porygon-Z, and Mega Vikavolt who are specially inclined.
- When paired with a Grassy Terrain setter, Virizion can take good advantage of its own Grassy Glide because there's a slight preference of fast attackers that have a lower physical defense due to their preferred EV investment or nature or natural stat distribution, like Gyarados, Greninja, Keldeo, etc.
- Tailwind is for VGC purposes and alludes to Virizion's affinity for wind, as indicated by Air Slash, Pokémon cards, and Pokédex entries.

If you are curious and want to read my essay on why Fighting is an ideal type for a Download user meant to mainly capitalize on an Atk boost rather than on a SpA boost, you can read it here.
Remember the conversation we once had about a hypothetical Download user that would want to boost its Atk rather than its SpA most of the time? It came up during the Mega Vikavolt Balance Change discussion. As a reminder, part of the reason why Mega Vikavolt often garners SpA boosts and works so phenomenally is because some of the most common defensive or utility staples in OU tend to be more focused on the physical side defensively speaking, like Corviknight, Slowbro, or Zapdos. These are mainly Water and Flying Pokémon, which is why the Electric type is so beneficial to have as a Download abuser. And Mega Vikavolt can extend the list even to some attackers, mainly Fighting and Grass attackers. Here, Mega Vikavolt has the typing to resist these types and the power to defeat them. In a way, you could say Mega Vikavolt is an almost perfect example of a Download abuser focused on the special side; I say "almost" because the only downside of Bug/Electric is the weakness to Stealth Rock.

Okay, how about a mostly physically inclined Download abuser? Imo, the list of Pokémon to threaten is much harder to pinpoint since most defensive or utility options prefer physical bulk and are Water/Flying/Grass, therefore boosting the SpA most of the time. The most common examples in OU that have higher special bulk are pretty few (I think) and limited to Pokémon mostly weak to Fighting, like Heatran, Ferrothorn, and Blissey. If you look at offensive sweepers / cleaners, the list would be much bigger but also hard to pinpoint since they can come from any type. These attackers tend to be less bulky, so a mostly physically inclined Download user would greatly benefit from a priority move to take out these threats. Moreover, there seems to be a slight preference of attackers (of the list in question) that are either Fire/Water/Grass, like Greninja, Gyarados, Keldeo, Serperior, Cinderace, Volcarona.

So, it seems to me as if Dragon/Fighting, Water/Fighting or Grass/Fighting are one of the few combos that, in theory, would be most likely to take advantage of an Atk boost due to their resistance profile. And that's pretty unique since all current Download users legal in M4A OU are specially inclined.
New Ability
: Justified -> One for All
(Whenever this Pokémon's stats change, all adjacent Pokémon receive the same stat change, unless the stat change was from Mirror Armor or another Pokémon's One for All.)
Type: Grass / Fighting

New Stats:
Attack: 90 -> 113 (+23)
Defense: 72 -> 129 (+57)
Sp. Atk: 90 -> 110 (+20)
Sp. Def: 129
(680 BST)

New moves: Horn Leech
Description: Mega Virizion's One for All ability lets it turn the tables on stat-lowering effects such as Intimidate, Sticky Web, and its own self-debuffing moves. Most Intimidate users are physical attackers, which means that when they switch in on Mega Virizion, they also weaken themselves. In a similar vein, Mega Virizion immediately inflicts -1 Speed when it switches in while Sticky Web is up, effectively neutralizing it. By switching in on a predicted Defog from a Flying-type that it outspeeds, it can guarantee a followup Stone Edge will hit, thanks to lowering the opponent's evasion. But its most interesting utility is with self-debuff moves like Close Combat and Leaf Storm - Close Combat suddenly serves as a tremendous wallbreaking tool because it drops your opponent's Defense and Sp. Defense too, while Leaf Storm demolishes your opponent's Sp. Attack stat. The tradeoff is that Mega Virizion can't safely use tools like Swords Dance or Calm Mind anymore - they benefit your opponent too!

One for All also has a bunch of really funny niche interactions that 99% of the time will never come up but are really funny if they do. King's Shield drops Aegislash and Mega Falinks' Attack. Anything with Contrary can take advantage of it, unless you're running setup. Don't let Gapdos switch in on CC or Leaf Storm unless you want it to get a free +4 Attack. Mega Galvantula and Mega Leavanny get their own Attacks lowered two stages by hitting it with Lunge. Defiant Braviary gets to clear hazards with Defog AND get a free Swords Dance. Close Combat with Contrary Shuckle as your partner in doubles. The possibilities are endless.
:ss/virizion:
Mega Virizion
New Ability: Tipped Scales (This Pokemon's stat changes are inversed if it attacks and KOes another Pokemon)
Type:

Stats:
HP- 91
Atk- 90(+35) --> 125
Def- 72(+18) --> 90
SpAtk- 90(+35) --> 125
SpDef- 129(+6) --> 135
Spe- 108(+6) --> 114
BST- 580(+100) --> 680

New Moves: Earthquake
Description:
Drawing very heavily from the Swords of Justice flavor, Mega Virizion quite literally tips the scales of battle in its favor.
It's here to serve some good ol' fashioned justice, Pokemon style.

Now I know what you're thinking. Why use such a convoluted nerfed form of Contrary? Well, other than the fact that it would be quite obviously broken on Virizion, Contrary is boring. There's no risk for the reward. It's very... dishonorable. Entirely unfitting for such a just Pokemon.

Let's get onto what this thing can do. By KOing an opponent with Superpower, it gains a +1 in both Attack and Defense. By using Leaf Storm, it gets a +2 in Special Attack. And through Close Combat, it gains a +1 in both Defense and Special Defense, making revenge killing it quite the chore.

You might wonder if this can get out of hand really quickly. The answer? No. As nice as the offensive boosts are, they will be nullified or even inversed upon KOing the next opponent. The same thing applies to CC, but it's likely that the defenses will have dropped by the time of the KO.

It should be pretty neatly balanced. Additionally, it has some more situational uses. Intimidate, Sticky Web, and the evasiveness drop from Defog will all be reversed upon a KO. However, keep in mind that they will be inversed again if you get another kill, so there needs to be careful play.
Virizion-Mega
Grass/Fighting
Ability: Justified-> Super Luck
Stats
Atk: 114 (+24)
Def: 84 (+12)
SpA: 124 (+34)
SpD: 153 (+24)
Spe: 114 (+6)

Description: Based off of the most skilled Musketeer, Virizion strikes with such precision that its Leaf Blade and Stone Edge are far more likely to crit; these two moves (one with STAB bonus) and reliable boosting serve to finally provide a viable Super Luck user. That 114 Atk starts to get rather scary between crits and SD, with STAB Close Combat brute forcing through many Steels that would otherwise stop Virizion's crit combo. Virizion gets ample opportunity to get a Swords Dance up thanks to its superb special bulk, tanking most non-super-effective special moves even without investment; it can even potentially run Synthesis to further increase longevity. Justified and Dark resistance pre-Mega let it punish Knock Off spam even more than most Megas, letting Viriz get an even faster start on firing off boosted crits. Of course, Virizion especially excels in the end game once certain walls have been chipped down, working splendidly with hazard support, particularly Webs, and Magnezone to remove any pesky Corviknights. You'd better hope you can get the first hit against Mega Virizion, because otherwise things may be most critical for you.
:bw/virizion:
Mega Virizion
New Ability
: Tactical Play
-Raise user's lowest stat if the user being hit "not very super effectively"
Stats:
HP- 91
Atk- 90(+35) --> 125
Def
- 72(+18) --> 90
SpA- 90(+35) --> 125
SpD 129(+6) --> 135
Spe- 108(+6) --> 114
(680 BST)
New moves: None (for now)
Description:
"Pretty straight and simple here: EdgeQuake resist. It walls stuff like Excadrill (not iron head, but you get my point), just by sitting in front of their face and setting up. This ability is extremely versatile, since the stat changes can be on any stat but HP, depending on the EV spread. This ability works with all stat changes. For example, your ability boosted your defense, because it's your lowest stat. This time, being hit by a not very super-effective move (and still kept the same stat changes), you will boost your atk or your spatk, since your defense is now not the lowest stat. Its resistances are super interesting too, walling Glide (Grass Type), Knock Off (Dark Type), Volt switch( Electric Type), Scald(Water Type) and EdgeQuake."
:virizion:
Mega Virizion
New Ability
: Shield Dust

New stats:
Attack: 140 (+50)
Defense: 92 (+20)
Special Attack: 90
Special Defense: 159 (+30)
(680 BST)

New moves: nothing here
Description:
Shield Dust: an ability, that on paper, is and would be extremely powerful, especially on the right mon. Being able to prevent secondary effects of all moves targeting the user from ever occurring is massive. Various moves, strategies, and even pokemon as a whole would be reduced in effectiveness or even put to a grinding halt against a mon with this ability. It is a very strong ability, especially on the right mons. Yet, it is never seen in full effect on the competitive battlefield.

Now you might be asking yourself the big question: "Why? Why would such a powerful ability go unseen on the battlefield?"

Most of the pokemon that have the ability are either completely and utterly unviable, have objectively better / much more beneficial abilities on them, or are simply far too niche to be considered on most teams. Even on the one pokemon that is (somewhat, if only very slightly) viable, Ribombee, it doesn't actually make use of it that well and is forced to run it simply because it has no other options.

This Mega Virizion utilizes Shield Dust to let it become a durable yet effective physical sweeper. Its ability essentially prevents the likes of Toxapex and Mega Empoleon from burning it with Scald, which, combined with its defensive typing and great special bulk, grants it the lofty honor of being a physical attacker that can also function as a Scald switchin. Its survivability capabilities don't end there either - it also packs useful resistances to other common moves such as EdgeQuake, Grassy Glide, Volt Switch, and Knock Off. All in all, its great survivability (further bolstered by Synthesis) and great power lend this mega a unique place in the meta, as a setup sweeper that doesn't worry about Scald in the slightest.
Mega Virizion

Ability: Optimism/Cheerful (can't decide)
(Ally Side, heals 1/16 of its max HP when having stat boosts.)

91/110/82/110/179/108 (680)
+20 Atk, +10 Def, +20 SpA, +50 SpD

New Moves: -

Description: (Later)
Virizion-Mega @ Virizionite
Ability: Friend Guard

Stats:
Hp: 91
Atk: 90
Def: 92 (+20)
Spa: 105 (+20)
Spd: 169 (+40)
Spe: 133 (+25)

New Moves: Tailwind, Wide Guard

Flavor:
Mega Evolution has strengthened Virizion's compassion and resolve to protect it's fellow Pokémon and trainer, along with it's physical abilities. it would be a great mistake to harm anyone who has gained Virizion's trust. Tailwind is added to reflect it's graceful movements and connection to wind. Wide Guard is added as it has to be able to protect many Pokémon at once.

Competitive: Virizion now has the tools to make it an incredibly effective and versatile offensive support Pokémon in doubles. With friend guard, it can weaken the damage it's allies takes just by being on the field while providing speed control, even more damage reduction in screens, boosts in coaching or helping hand, or protection from different types of moves with taunt, quick guard, safeguard and the added wide guard. Of course, it still has powerful stabs and decent coverage, as air slash hits annoying grasses such as Amoonguss quite hard. and the special bias I gave it means it doesn't have to worry about intimidate. It's defenses and speed are stellar, allowing it to speed base130s like Tapu Koko, and take many hits, especially on the special side. Some downsides, are that it's most powerful special stabs have severe drawbacks, being halving Spa or having a massive miss chance respectively. It also has trouble fitting everything it wants into 4 moves.

However, just because it's doubles focused doesn't mean it's not viable in singles! It's stats are still incredible, allowing it to function as a wall or set up. It's precise speed is more important than singles, allowing it to outspeed ash Greninja with full investment. I haven't calced what the defenses are capable of, but I know they're probably capable of a lot. Synthesis is a passable form of recovery, and it can punish switch ins with toxic. On the setup route, it has both calm mind and swords dance. The special attack bias limits the swords dancer's capabilities, as it has better physical coverage and more immediate boosting. However, calm mind is definitely still great, as it increases it's bulk as well as it's spa. For downsides, having to rely on focus blast as stab can be hit or miss, and you have no option to hit flying types without hidden power. This may be a bit strong, but Ill always be able to tone down the stats, especially speed, if needed.

I put more focus into this sub and I'm quite proud of it, so here you go!
:ss/virizion:

Mega Virizion @ Virizionite

New Moves: Ice Beam

M-Virizion's ideal playstyle is to basically run a physical set, but can also run a mixed/special set thanks to the addition of Ice Beam (which covers its 4x weakness), and to potentially sweep/blow huge walls thanks to the Sun Weather (since its ability is Chlorophyll).

Stats
Attack: 110 (+20)
Defense: 62 (-10)
Sp. Attack: 130 (+40)
Sp. Defense: 169 (+40)
Speed: 118 (+10)
BST: 680

Ability: Chlorophyll
AYOO

Pokemon: Mega Virizion :Virizion:
Ability: Zen Mode (When user Virizion has HP >1/2, in Bonsai mode, otherwise in BANZAI mode). Basically, zen mode but for Virizion!
Typing:

Stats:
:Rusted Shield: Bonzai Mode:
Attack: 90
Defense: 112 (+40)
Special Attack: 130 (+40)
Special Defense: 159 (+30)
Speed: 98 (-10)

:Rusted Sword: BANZAI Mode (stat changes from Bonsai/from base form):
Attack: 160 (+70 / +70)
Defense: 82 (-30 / +10)
Special Attack: 100 (-30 / +10)
Special Defense: 129 (-30 / +0)
Speed: 118 (+20 / +10)

Description: Muahahaha! Palkian bros Paul and I have created our magnum opus, Switch-rizion. You have two options when using this pokemon! You can either run a calm mind synthesis set, or you can run a swords dance 3 attacks set. The excellent defensive stats in Bonsai form allow an SD Virizion to survive one hit and get sent into BANZAI mode. Conversely, the extra speed granted in BANZAI mode allows a CM variant to outspeed certain checks and heal back up into its beefed out Bonsai form. A really, really, really cool concept you HAVE to vote for! Enjoy!
mega virizion

grass/fighting
stats
hp- 91
atk- 90(+15)>105
def- 72(+30)>102
spa- 90(+20)>110
spd- 129(+20)>149
spe- 108(+15)>123

ability: misty surge

new moves: terrain pulse, play rough, petal dance
so the main idea we had for this was allowing it to be a mixed attacker, having both swords dance and calm mind, it has a lot of different ways to use it and take advantage of misty terrain like resisting scald and being immune to burn for physical sets as well as toxic immunity to allow setup sets to stay in for longer and even just bringing general misty terrain support for your team

And now it's time for the legendary collab
Kero
x
ausma

Mega :swsh/virizion: Virizion
Type:
Grass/Fighting
Mega Stone: Virizite

Ability: Lethality - This Pokemon's slashing moves deal double damage against targets with full health.

Stats:
HP - 91 (+0)
ATK - 120 (+30)
DEF - 72 (+0)
SPA - 120 (+30)
SPD - 169 (+40)
SPE - 108 (+0)

New Moves: Psycho Cut, Aerial Ace, Aura Sphere, Heal Pulse

Description:
Dex Entry: Mega Virizion's speed, wit, and blades are all honed to a razor edge - this allows it to dance around opponents with ease, waiting to find the enemy's weak spot before striking with lethal precision and power, taking them out in a single blow.
Cool Kero sub? Strong ausma sub? Why not both?

Behold, Mega Virizon, the magnum opus. Mega Virizion has a terrifying ability on paper and in practice, but with a drawback that's much more nuanced and important to the balancing of this submission than it may first seem.

I first created this ability for Zangoose to highlight the brutality and efficiency of its claws, as a mon to excel at taking out squishy mons in a single blow but losing momentum against walls. This didn't work out for various reasons, but in searching for a replacement, I have found something far, far cooler as an application for this ability, and enlisted ausma's help in perfecting the concept. While there still is room for a squishy-killer using Lethality in the future, Virizion uses this ability in a much more interesting way - as a wallbreaker.

It seems counterintuitive to use the ability for the exact purpose that the first version was specifically meant to struggle with, but there are many differences here. First, we kept the speed low - any mon Virizion can outspeed will have a hard time beating it without type advantage. For squishy mons this matters less because they hit hard and get hit hard no matter what, and so even something like Cinderace would get shrekt if Virizion were allowed to outspeed them. Virizion can still counter many of the common special glass cannons (with varying levels of glass and cannon) in the meta such as Greninja and even Tapu Koko if it can come in safely, due to not only keeping but furthering its naturally high special defense even more in Mega. However, it's quite vulnerable to physical mons and Flying-types alike, which places a lot of checks on the board right off the bat to keep it in line. Two, it's typing - Water and Steel are insanely common defensive types, which means Virizion excels at taking them down, and has loads of good coverage even outside of its STABs. Comparatively, Zangoose had a bad offensive STAB and limited coverage especially inside of the ability's movepool, which made it entirely reliant on the enemy being squishy to tear them apart.

However, now to elaborate on its true strength - wallbreaking. This ability allows Virizion to achieve 2HKOs on many mons that would otherwise be a 3HKO, breaking past them and avoiding the stall scenario that would occur when any of these fat mons have access to recovery. In addition, this burst of damage allows it to skip a turn's worth of leftovers, leech seed, poison heal, or any other passive effects that would otherwise edge those mons out of a 2HKO/3HKO range. Because this burst of damage also happens at the start, the walls in question would have to properly predict and hit their recovery on the first hit in order to avoid dying, since Virizon outspeeds them on the second turn. If they do, however, now they can stall out Virizion since now they're safe from the double damage boost...

Or are they? You see, this is where the full health requirement of Virizion's ability really shines as a tool for interaction, and why it makes such an effective and interesting wallbreaker. Most squishy mons don't recover - any sort of chip from hazards, U-turn/etc., or simply switching into a low-power resisted move when they have a free in will all take them out of Virizon's ability's range, likely permanently. However, walls on the other hand always take recovery to function. While it's still discouraged to run hazards on the same team as Mega Virizion because it makes things harder for it, basic chip is simply unavoidable and becomes increasingly moreso as the game progresses. However, targeting walls for this mon and ability is perfect as these are the mons that are going to be the ones healing off that chip with their recovery moves, and may often be forced to do so with the leftovers or poison heal that they've brought with them. This means that walls will always be in danger of overhealing, and something for both sides to keep an eye on - while they obviously want to stay healthy, going all the way up to completely full HP immediately puts them into the danger zone, and going too close to it can inadvertently cause their passive recovery to top them up as well. This balancing act is a fun dance between both users that keeps everyone on their toes until Virizion gets worn out, or it finds the perfect opening and strikes. These mindgames can be especially dangerous with Virizion having access to moves like Swords Dance and Agility - clicking on one of these instead of an attack can easily catch a wall trying to stall stuck in a loop and tricking them into full health at the same time it gets another double damage boost. Then it's night night to the wall, and possibly the rest of the game. In addition, ausma had the FANTASTIC suggestion of Heal Pulse - allowing Virizion to force the enemy back to full in order to break them (a statement that sounds hilariously counterintuitive). The move is most often troll in singles - while it does achieve the doubled damage from the ability, Swords Dance does the same thing just a lot better. However, it's still a potential anti-meta option if you're looking to counter Haze Toxapex or Mega Empoleon, for instance. Its true power lies in doubles - there, Heal Pulse is an excellent role compression option that provides valuable team support on a mon with great special defense while also being able to function as a slightly worse Swords Dance in the same move slot against any enemies Virizion needs to break that have gotten chipped.

While physical sets are obviously the better iteration due to double STABs and more coverage that can use its ability (plus SEdge), we did our best to make special sets both viable and mechanically interesting/distinct. Due to its high special defense and low defense, it has potential to actually run max defense/max special attack for a bulky Calm Mind set - running Giga Drain for longevity, Aura Sphere as a reliable secondary STAB, and Air Slash as its special tool to get help from its ability in order to break through Bug/Poison/Flying type walls that would otherwise give it trouble. One of the benefits of being special is not having to worry about Intimidate which could gimp your ability proc's damage, but even more importantly ignoring burns. While Virizion has a high special defense, resists water, and wants to kill waters, most specially offensive walls are commonly Water-types running Scald, which can make it very susceptible to being Burned if the Virizion user plays poorly and can't properly capitalize on the times it comes in safely, forcing it to roll Scald more often until it gets neutered. Special Virizion has no such problems and can switch in on these mons for days, as well as having access to recovery via Giga Drain and being able to completely heal off the chip.

I could talk about specific matchups all day (and all night, considering what time it is for me right now :P) - Mega Empoleon, Toxapex, Gliscor, Lando-T, Greninja, Koko, etc. However, this mon performs such a fantastic balancing act that this post could go on forever discussing its relationships with all of the meta Pokemon. Instead, I'm going to leave you all with the most Legendary Mega ever made, and leave you to bask in its glory. You're welcome.
Virizion-Mega
Typing:
/

New Ability: Scrappy
{pre-Mega ability was Justified}
STATS:
HP:
Atk: 090 → 129 (+39)
Def: 072 → 090 (+18)
SpA: 090 → 108 (+18)
SpD: 129 → 136 (+07)
Spe: 108 → 126 (+18)
(BST: 580 → 680)

Added Moves: Aura Sphere, Earth Power, Leech Seed, U-Turn, Whirlwind

Pokémon Sword: "It is said that Virizion's duty to its fellow Pokemon is such that it will cut down even the malicious spirits of humans who wish them harm from beyond the grave."
Pokémon Shield: "It can move like a gale wind when attacking and even become almost invisible at times, with the only sign of its passing often being the damage suffered by its enemies."

Description: Virizion is easily the "musketeer" that I think about the least. In fact, I don't think it's an exaggeration that it's the musketeer mon that almost everyone thinks about the least. So it obviously needs the most help it can despite its high stats, which is why I'm being overly generous in its added moves, including giving it a pivoting move--which I loathe--since Keldeo for some reason got Flip Turn and Cobalion already had Volt Switch. (Pray to Arceus that Terrakion never gets a pivoting move, even if it's "just" Parting Shot.)

As for its ability, I decided to be simple about it (because I legitimately couldn't think of anything) and let it smack around Ghosts since it would still be one of the least abusive mons with it and since a lot of Ghosts incidentally resist Grass. Scrappy helps on both sides of the spectrum too since even if its Attack is much higher now, in part to match its original Pokédex entries (as with the Speed and getting Whirlwind), and it only has perfect coverage on the special side with Earth Power and Hidden Power Rock, forcing it to forego Calm Mind. So despite its high BST and newfound Ghost-smacking ability, it should be fair. (Probably.)
Mega-Virizion

Types :

Ability : Natural Cure
Mega Stone : Viridite
Stats :
ATK: 120 (+30)
DEF: 92 (+20)
SPA: 120 (+30)
SPD: 141 (+12)
SPE: 116 (+8)
New Moves : High Horsepower, U-Turn, Aromatherapy, Tailwind, Earth Power
Ash-Gren Killer
I hope i have enough time to post this! Just a sudden inspiration brought by my nephew, that loves to collect TCG cards. If considered too strong or illegal, i'll see what I can do. Probably will delete it.

Abilitiy:
Verdant Winds
During Grassy Terrain, prevents this pokémon and it's partners from being afflicted by non-volatile status conditions, Flinch and Yawn (including via the Flame Orb and Toxic Orb). It also removes any current status condition prior to the terrain being set up. Can't use Rest.
New moves: n/a
Stats:
HP: 91 > 91
ATK: 90 > 90(-)
DEF: 72 > 145 (+73)
SPA: 90 > 90 (-)
SPD: 129 > 145 (+16)
SPE: 108 > 109 (+1)

1. Flavor

It's another idea I had when looking to the TCG game. The Virizion-EX card has this ability called "Verdant Winds", that makes every pokemon that have grass energy attached to it, not beeing affect by special conditions (and remove them). Prevents the use of Rest.

The idea is about Virizion whirlwind-like movements improves while a verdant field (grassy terrain) is active, making itself and its allies immune to any condition that would prejudice them.

Whilwind uppon grassy lands casts the "verdant winds", a mix o fresh and pure air that helps Virizion and it's allies with issues like toxins, paralysis, bad dreams... After all, who doesn't love nature's fresh and pure air?

It is a better version of Leaf Guard? Yes it is. But it fits perfectly on Virizion ;P

2. Competitive

Grass spam! With such great grassy terrain setters in Bulu and Rillaboom, and abusers like Bandana (lol), Mega-Virizion with it's amazing 91/145/145 bulk, burn and paralysis immunity and also Flinch immune (bye bye fake out users in doubles), while also abusing boosted grass moves (including priority Grassy Glide) makes this mega a valueble choice over Mega-Rillaboom for doubles, and even Singles. In fact, it is a Rillaboom counter itself (except for Grassy Seed + Acrobatics set).

Mega-Virizion is also amazing in Grass Monotype formats. The capacity to hard hit steel types with STAB fighting moves, good coverage, along with immunity to status, turns Mega-Virizion into a premier mega of choice for any monotype grass.
Rosiario was unable to post in the thread, but their sub was discussed at length on Discord, so I have attached the relevant notes!

Virizionite
Ability: Heavenly Techniques

HP: 91 (+0)
Attack: 101 (+11)
Defense: 71 (-1)
Special Attack: 151 (+61)
Special Defense: 148 (+19)
Speed: 118 (+10)

I think Heavenly Techniques is cool, and Virizion can use all of the parts of the ability differently than Samurott does​
Grass priority moves are rare outside of the funny monkey, and the 3 Musketeers’ signature move gives it a stronger Mach Punch.​
Virizion also finds a unique spot by being one of the few to resist the Stone Edge and Earthquake core, which are both physical​
and it can further that strength with the defense buffs, which is different from Samurott who uses the buffs as a general bulky Water type​
I think using the Special Attack as a dump stat is kind of cool too! It gives it options to be a mixed attacker and use stuff like Giga Drain to play with Heavenly Technique’s health ranges for the different effects, and Calm Mind to help spread its defensive buffs across both physical and special defense.​
But in order to use these options it has to run some moves that don’t benefit from the ability, since there are so few special slashing moves.​

The specific stat changes here were also based on feedback left by BlueRay!

Since M Samurott only relies on physical moves and uses its ability to reinforce the defensive utility of its typing while also applying offensive pressure on the opponent, M Virizion would need to distinguish itself a lot from it to not make it outclassed.

There are not many options left but I could see a focus on a special or a mixed set. Its Atk must not be high enough to encourage a physical set too much. I've done my calcs and can say that base a base 120 Atk Virizion is about as strong as base 153 Atk Samurott if we compare the power of their moves with each other: Leaf Blade vs Razor Shell and Sacred Sword vs Razor Shell.

That means M Virizion probably shouln't have a base Atk stat of 120 to encourage a physical set; in fact, it should be much below. As far as the SpA stat concerns, you can dump a lot of points there since moves like Air Slash and Giga Drain have rather mediocre base power, and Virizion only has Calm Mind / Work Up to power them up. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a value of around base 150 SpA. That's high enough to make Air Slash do relevant damage against Grass Pokémon like Amoonguss after a boost.

Speed wise, I could see base 118 Spe at maximum to allow Cinderace to threaten it. Alternatively, base 114 Spe would be probably preferred to make Ice Pokémon like M Froslass and M Sawsbuck-Winter more relevant.

Defensive wise, the physical bulk should not be raised much if at all to let people explore its weakness, just like how M Samurott has a rather mediocre SpD to allow people to hit it with special moves. On the other hand, Virizion's SpD stat should be at 148 at maximum and no more, which would allow offensive Tornadus-T to OHKO it after Stealth Rock, even if M Virizion used one Calm Mind.

Hope, that was helpful!
On the final spread:

I feel kind of awkward about reaching every stat you said was "at maximum" but with +100 BST I couldn't really avoid that without adding too much into attack and defense, which you wanted to avoid​
(also the -1 defense for a bonus +1 special attack is just because I thought it looked pretty, but I can remove it if necessary)​

Edit: I forgot quotes are broken in spoilers! Replaced a quote to make it easier to read
Also, please yell at me if I messed anything up or missed anything!

That's all I have for you for the moment, so tagging inkbug for his Guzzlord compilation!! Thank you so much : D
I will actually be back with a fourth post containing a big update at the very end, so please hold on just a moment longer!

Last edited:

inkbug

Maybe the real mega pokemon were the friends we ma
is a Community Contributor
:guzzlord: Guzzlord submission compilation :guzzlord:
If your submission is not included in this post, and you are not XzvzX, then I missed it and please let me know so I can add it!!!
Mega Guzzlord

Ability: Guts

Type: Dark | Dragon

New Stats:

Attack: 101 → 149 (+48)
Defense: 53 → 61 (+8)
Special Attack: 97 → 101 (+4)
Special Defense: 53 → 83 (+30)
Speed: 43 → 53 (+10)
BST: 570 → 670 (+100)

New moves:
Gunk Shot, Spikes

Description:
1) Concept
Guzzlord's Guts is a word play. On the one hand, it refers to bravery; on the other hand, it alludes to entrails.

And that is the start of a sob story. If you played through USUM, you might have come across a futuristic Hau'oli City. Among the ruins of the city, you can encounter a sole Guzzlord. Some fans have theorized that Guzzlord is, in fact, a mutated form of Alolan Muk as a result of removing nuclear waste. But something must have gone wrong; the Pokémon and people who have once inhabited the town are now gone, seemingly leaving behind only Guzzlord. With no new source of nuclear waste available to them anymore, they now have to eat whatever they find in the ruins. That's quite a sad story. Abandoned, these Guzzlord must brave out their situation, with no solution in sight.

2) Competitive
This Guzzlord uses its dualtype to comfortably switch into types that commonly inflict status issues, thereby boosting its power to a terrifying level.

Generally speaking, Guts users rely on an item like Flame Orb or Toxic Orb to trigger their ability. Since that is not possible on a Mega Pokémon as they have to run a Mega Stone, you need to look for some ways to activate the ability. Enter Guzzlord, which comes with a dual Dark and Dragon type. This allows it to resist Scald from the many bulky Water Pokémon we have in our metagame, Discharge from Zapdos, and Lava Plume from some Heatran and Mega Magmortar. As you can see, Guzzlord has a very beneficial defensive typing as a Guts user, which none of the current ones have. Moreover, people often run Toxic or Sludge Bomb on their Water, Fire, and Grass Pokémon, like Empoleon, Toxapex, Heatran, Amoonguss or Tangrowth. So, there are plenty opportunities for Guzzlord to get a status problem.

While Guzzlord mainly draws its defensive potential from a Dragon type, the Dark type can be used to apply offensive pressure as it is one of the best offensive types. This can be seen with Slowbro or Galarian Slowking who are often fishing for burns or poison. Since they are weak to Dark, Guzzlord's typing would be very appealing here to deal with these Pokémon.

If you look at its movepool, you will notice it has many good contact moves, like Knock Off or Heat Crash. In a metagame filled with Static, Flame Body, and Poison Point users, starting from Zapdos to Moltres and Nidoqueen, Guzzlord is really incentivized to use these moves if it wants to activate the ability. Furthermore, the addition of Spikes makes sure the opponent will have to send out a Defogger like Zapdos or Moltres sooner or later. And that's when you can send out Guzzlord to make sure it can attack these Pokémon to potentially trigger its ability.

Using contact moves and relying on its defensive profile are not the only ways to take advantage of the ability; in fact, thanks to its good special bulk, Mega Guzzlord can try to pull off a Rest + Sleep Talk set, which synergizes well with Guts. Between Knock Off and Gunk Shot, Guzzlord should be able to hit a wide range of targets.
:guzzlord: Mega Guzzlord
New Ability
: Beast Boost -> Corrosion
Type
: Dark / Dragon

New Stats:
Attack: 113 (+12)
Defense: 89 (+36)
Sp. Atk: 127 (+30)
Sp. Def: 71 (+18)
Speed: 47 (+4)
(670 BST)

New moves: Purify, Gunk Shot
Description: Mega Guzzlord is here to spread filth and pestilence across the land. Its Dark/Dragon typing leaves it with several unfortunate weaknesses, but it makes up for these weaknesses to an extent with Corrosion. Normally, spamming Dragon-type moves like Draco Meteor leaves you wide open to incoming Steel-types - but Corrosion provides Mega Guzzlord with an interesting way to discourage Steel-type switch-ins, by threatening them with poison, leaving them hamstrung for the rest of the game if a cleric is unavailable. The addition of Gunk Shot to its movepool helps it with its other major weakness in Fairy-types, which can prey on its relatively lower Sp. Defense and double weakness. Several of those Fairies, like Tapu Fini and Clefable, either can't be poisoned even through Corrosion or don't care about it in either case, so the ability to pressure them is key.

Though Mega Guzzlord's bulk is rather tremendous, it has another big issue - it's easy to wear down. That's where Purify comes in. Corrosion means that it can poison virtually any Pokémon, which is a huge detriment to several walls like Corviknight and Toxapex, but Purify provides an incentive for Guzzlord to occasionally remove that poison, too. When used on a team with Toxic Spikes support, Purify actually becomes somewhat reliable, but it also rewards intelligent play and good predictions on both sides - a smart player may predict an incoming Purify and switch to something without a status to deny Guzzlord the recovery, or go to something that especially wants its status removed, like a burned physical attacker. Both players must evaluate which Pokémon are worth keeping statused and which can afford to lose the status in exchange for a massive HP regain. Overall, Mega Guzzlord is a tricky Mega that rewards intelligent play and accurate risk-reward calls.

(This was previously a Dark/Poison Mega with much greater bulk - it's been updated to be less overwhelming.)
:guzzlord: Mega Guzzlord
New Ability
: Biohazard (Has a different effect based on hazards on opponent's team, removes hazards on opposing side when making contact.)
TSpikes: Heals mega Guzzlord from poison if one layer, toxic poison if two layers
Spikes: Heal the amount of damage they'd do, depends on layers.
Stealth Rock: Heals (whatever damage they'd do because mega guzzlord is neutral to rock moves)
Sticky Webs: Clears speed drops.
Type:
|

New stats:
Attack: 113
Defense: 89
Special Attack: 113
Special Defense: 71
Speed: 67
(670 BST)

New moves: Gunk Shot, Parting Shot
Description:
:ss/guzzlord:
Mega Guzzlord
Ability: Poison Touch
Type:

Stats:
HP- 223
Atk- 101(+30) --> 131
Def- 53(+18) --> 71
SpAtk- 97(+34) --> 131
SpDef- 53(+18) --> 71
Spe- 43
BST- 570(+100) --> 670

New Moves: Purify, Venoshock, Hex, Sucker Punch
Description:
This one is inspired by the theory that Guzzlord is actually an evolution/mutation of :muk_alola: Alolan Muk.
I won't go into too much detail about it because a few subs already mentioned this, but basically: Ultra Ruin, the place where Guzzlord is found in USUM, is a destroyed futuristic version of Hau'oli City. The people have fled and the only man there mentions a nuclear power plant. This suggests that Guzzlord was a result of the nuclear waste being disposed of through Alolan Muk. Therefore, it's only fitting to let Mega Evolution revert it.

Mega Guzzlord uses Poison Touch quite differently from Muk. Sporting tremendous bulk but lacking reliable recovery, it is incentivized to run Purify for healing. But removing the Poison also reduces the power of Venoshock/Hex, so there is fun anti synergy at play here. Sucker Punch is a neat tool that may come in handy for revenge killing purposes, as Guzzlord's newfound Attack and chance to Poison pairs nicely with STAB priority.

There are some fun gimmicks that come with this too. Dual Chop hits twice to maximise the Poison chance, although Guzzlord loses STAB on it upon Mega Evolution. Stomping Tantrum is really cool, as Purify will often fail on a switch and the opponent will usually switch their Steel types onto Poison Jab, so punishing that with a higher base power move is nice. I know these probably aren't viable but they add a bit of flair to it all.

Even the type change brings a new layer to Guzzlord. Fairies, which would normally hit it 4x supereffectively, will find themselves doing mere neutral damage, while it fires back with powerful supereffective STAB. Guzzlord also gets Magnet Rise (don't question it), so it can now pull off the obligatory "bulky mon with no weaknesses". Overall, this has a lot more depth than it looked like there would be from the surface, huh?
(...just like the Alolan Grimer line. No seriously, if you're on the Discord and have free time, read Hema's essays on it: https://discord.com/channels/759042095486205983/801048209858363453/889547676868313088)
Mega Guzzlord
Ability: Ravenous (When this Pokemon uses a biting move, it consumes the target's held item, gaining the effects of that held item until it faints or is switched out. The effect cannot be stacked, and this Ability does not activate if the target is holding a Mega Stone, Z-Crystal, or form-changing item.)
Stats:
  • HP: 223 (+0)
  • Attack: 121 (+20)
  • Defense: 73 (+20)
  • Special Attack: 117 (+20)
  • Special Defense: 73 (+20)
  • Speed: 63 (+20)
New Moves: Fire Fang, ThunderFang, Ice Fang, Poison Fang, Psychic Fangs

Description: Yeah, I know this sounds bonkers, but hear me out, OK? Guzzlord's whole thing is that it's an eating machine- its Sun dex entry says that it eats mountains and buildings whole. Hunger on that scale doesn't stop just because Guzzlord is in battle, so maybe it should be able to snack on a held item as a treat. Mega Guzzlord is a jack of all trades that can fulfill many different roles depending on the item it eats. For example, it can eat Leftovers to turn into a tank, or eat a Choice Band to become a powerful wallbreaker. It gets a bunch of Fang moves to fit with the flavor.

Virizion and Articuno will come later!
Shoutouts to Hematite and BlueRay for helping me out with this sub!
Guzzlord-Mega
Ability: Acidic Surge (first appeared on Mega Dragalge)
Stats: 223/137 (+36)/71 (+18)/101 (+4)/67 (+14)/71 (+28)
New Moves: Gunk Shot
Flavor:

Screenshot_20211107-190426.png

Acidic Surge can be considered to be a link between Guzzlord and Alolan Grimer and Muk.
Competitive Analysis: Acidic Surge boosts the power of Guzzlord's new coverage to deal with Fairy types that would destroy it. It also lets Hawlucha work, as Guzzlord can trigger Unburden and deal with Psychic and Electric types that Hawlucha struggles with, while Hawlucha can take out Steel and Fighting Types that Guzzlord might be unable to deal with.
:guzzlord:
Mega Guzzlord
New Ability
: Junkivore (Upon killing an opposing pokemon, the user gains the effects of the opponent's held item.)

New stats:
Attack: 131 (+30)
Defense: 103 (+50)
Special Attack: 107 (+10)
Special Defense: 53
Speed: 53 (+10)
(670 BST)

New moves: no
Description:
Hit hard, then score a kill and gain the effect of the opponent's item. This has various applications too - Leftovers gives it passive recovery & survivability, while Life Orb & Choice Band let it hit hard. (description is WIP, my procrastination is more than likely gonna befall me here)
:guzzlord: (Rip in no bw sprite)
Guzzlord-Mega @ Guzzlordite
Ability: Consume - This pokemon's contact moves heal the user for 50% of the damage dealt. Exclude moves that already have healing effects.
Stats:

Hp: 223
Atk: 127 (+26)
Def: 73 (+20)
Spa: 127 (+30)
Spd: 73 (+20)
Spe: 47 (+4)

New Moves: Gunk Shot, Wild Charge
New Weight: 150 KG

Flavor:
Mega evolution energy reacts strangely with Guzzlord as it successfully tries to consume it. It does indeed gain the power of mega evolution through this method, however, the energy is not meant to be ingested and eats away at it's insides, converting parts of it's body into energy. In the end, Guzzlord has lost most of it's physical weight, left with eternal hunger. It's reported to be extremely aggressive, leaving destruction in it's path as it tries it's hardest to quench the hunger, but to no avail. The matter that it consumes is converted into mega energy, which increases it's power, but does nothing to help it regain what it lost. Gunk shot is added with the flavor of spitting out remains of what it eats, or just pure energy.

Competitive: Ok that was a little dark, but I find the flavor I created quite interesting, and the design of the mega even more. Anyways, onto the actual competitive schtuff. As a strong yet bulky Pokémon, Guzzlord would love to be able to recover it's health while dealing damage. Consume makes every contact move Guzzlord uses have the same effect as drain punch or horn leech, giving it what it wants. On the surface, the ability is simple. However, Guzzlord has many unique, fun ways to take advantage of it aside from spamming it's 80 BP stabs.

Knock off, while definitely a great move that's useful to cripple most of it's switchins, will heal less once the opponent's item is removed. Outrage creates an interesting scenario, as you're slow and forced to take a hit, only to deal deal massive damage back and heal back an equally great amount, possibly allowing you to survive the next blow. However, you're also lcoked into outrage, which means you can be revenge killed fairly(haha see what i did there) easily or used as setup fodder by any fairy type. You're also incentivized to run High Horsepower of Earthquake for ground coverage. The new addition of Wild Charge will have it's recoil offset with the healing as well!

However, I think the most interesting things about Guzzlord using it are the non-contact moves! It's special attack is actually the same amount as it's attack, which makes mixed sets possible. Your most powerful move is actually Draco Meteor, however, it does not recover health as it is not contact. You're also incentivized to run mixed if you want fire coverage, as part of the reason I decreased it's weight (And came up with that flavor) is to limit the use of Heat Crash and Heavy Slam and promote more interesting uses of it's ability. The speed increase is for the aesthetics, and to slightly lower the power of gyro ball, however it's still a point slower than base 50s, Which gives it the ability to under speed Calyrex-Ice in VGC Restricted. Anyways, I wanted to promote the use of Gunk Shot as Guzzlord's fairy coverage, as poison hits Tapu Fini and Koko super effectively as opposed to the neutral hit of steel moves like Gyro Ball or Heavy Slam. However, Gunk Shot is non-contact, which means that if it wants to heal from damaging fairies, it has to use the weaker poison jab (Though I believe Gunk Shot will still be more used).

I designed it to be a heavy hitting tank, using it's pretty unique defensive profile to find switch in opportunities while staying around due to it's healing. It's quite prediction reliant due to it's slow nature, however. It most likely fits on balance, stall or possibly BO.
:ss/Guzzlord:
Type: Dark/Fire
Abilitiy:
Mountain Munch
This pokemon is healed 1/4 by Rock (Stealth Rocks included) and 1/8 by Sandstorm; is hurt 1.25x by Ground, damage by spikes goes from 1/8 > 1/6 > 1/4 to 1/6 > 1/4 > 1/3.
New moves: Eruption
Stats:
HP: 223 > 223
ATK: 101 > 127(+26)
DEF: 53 > 83 (+30)
SPA: 97 > 113 (+16)
SPD: 53 > 83 (+30)
SPE: 43 > 41 (-2)

Description:

1. Flavor

Guzzlord is known for devouring mountains and entire buildings. It's an extraterrestrial "world devourer" that constantly eats everything within it's range. Doesn't make sense a pokemon that literally chews mountains beeing hit by another pokemon that throws rocks at it, so I immeditally thought of some clone of those abilities that grants immunity to certain types.

This alien eat rocks and processes them into energy, and when mega-evolving this energy is released in the form of magma. After all, magma is just molten rocks. This is why it lost it's dragon-type and had become a fearsome beast that constantly eats rocks and melt them into magma, like a mini-volcano.

Appearence-wise, Mega-Guzzlord has a shorter tail, a bigger mouth that is constantly drooling magma out and teeths made out of fire. Searching for an ability name, I looked for the TCG game and found a Guzzlord card that has "Mountain Munch" as ability. Just liked that name :)

There is really not much flavor for the extra Ground/Spikes damage here, is just a balance question. 223/83/83 bulk is scary, specially when there is 2 immunities (includind SR immunity) and no 4x weaknesses. I guess I can say that it is too heavy and receives more damage from spikes (?), and that eating mountains requires it do stay vulnerable in solid ground (?).

2. Competitive

Mega-Guzzlord is a slow fire-type, wich should sound bad but... It is completely immune to Rock-types and Stealth Rocks.

Faces competition from Incineroar and Houndoom, but honestly it's function is clearly different from the other two: just not caring for rock-types at all. It can abuse it's fat HP to switch into predicted rock moves and spam stab eruption, running mixed coverage with EQ to hit things like heatran.

Mega-Guzzlord also has the "turning tables" factor against fairy and ice types, since it goes from a 4x effectiveness to a neutral hit (fairy) and super-effective to resisted (ice). The improved bulk also helps it to stomach some supereffective hits, except dangerous Earthquakes from the likes of Lando-T and Garchomp. Even Heatran's Earthpower will hurt.

It also must be very careful switching into spikes. 3 layers removes 33,33% of it's max HP, and that is a lot. Flying types and/or levitators are the best partners this pokemon could have, taking fighting and ground moves for it!

Besides that, it has no boosting moves and 113 base SpAtk is not that high. This synergizes with Beast Boost, since Guzzlord wants some stat boosts before mega-evolving.
Mega Guzzlord
Dark | Dragon
Ability: Beast Boost (When knocking out an opponent, the user's highest stat—except HP—is raised by 1 stage.)

223 / 107 (+6) / 73 (+20) / 101 (+4) / 67 (+14) / 97 (+54)
New moves: Pursuit

I'm uninspired, aren't I? But allow me to explain before you dig too hard into this. With much more balance in its stats, Guzzlord can now perform a variety of archetypes, be they all-out offense, pure defense, or set-up sweeper. It fits into a similar box as its UU Ultra Beast brethren, due to their equal ability to alter between desired spreads on a dime. It can go mixed using its great movepool on both spectrums, and has decent bulk. Furthermore, with access to Stockpile and all related moves as well as Body Press, a defensive set-up sweeper option can be opted for, especially given your Dark STAB being able to take out Ghost-types when you switch in on them.

Even with these downsides, there's still one major plus that I'd love to touch on: because the stats change so much when mega evolving, Beast Boost can give different buffs depending on when you mega evolve. Using Pursuit pre-mega to ensure kills that buff Attack and then mega evolving to rake in defensive buffs is viable. Despite having the same ability, the flexibility between the two is undeniable!

With 223/73/67 bulk, Guzzlord can take a lot (not to mention its access to semi-reliable recovery in Rest and Swallow), in addition to outspeeding Landorus-Therian, which a Toxic set can wear down decently, since with these stats Guzzlord at most is 4HKOd by Lando-T. Not bad for a living black hole, no?
:ss/Guzzlord:
Guzzlord-Mega
Dark/Dragon
Ability: Beast Boost-> Blackhole Boost (User's attacking Dark moves apply Leech Seed to the target(s)).
Stats
HP:
Atk: 131 (+30)
Def: 67 (+14)
SpA: 109 (+12)
SpD: 97 (+44)
Spe: 43
New Moves: Gunk Shot, Taunt

Description
: To feed its insatiable hunger, the power of Mega Evolution allows Guzzlord to feast upon matter itself, slowly sapping the existence of anything it touches with its Dark type moves (in the form of Leech Seed). This allows Guzz to exert offensive pressure while patching its lack of recovery, still being a decently strong attacker with new assets in Gunk Shot as a more consistent option for Fairies and Taunt to potentially use its ability to stallbreak, keeping defensive mons low for allies. It can also carve itself a niche in VGC as a bulky support mon, using Snarl to Seed both opponents and weaken them, then reaping the rewards with requisite Protect or Wide Guard to further support its allies.
mega guzzlord

dark/dragon
stats
hp- 223
atk- 101(+30)>131
def- 53(+20)>73
spa- 97(+16)>113
spd- 53(+36)>89
spe- 43(-2)>41

ability: black hole belly- if a pokemon loses its item, this pokemon will take it and swallow it, healing it for 1/3 of its max hp. some consumable items will also give their effect to the user

this mega muncher makes excellent use of STAB knock off by consuming other pokemon's items once they are knocked off (or flung) and allowing it to heal itself in most situations while occasionally getting other useful buffs such as from weakness policy or custap berry
Mega :swsh/guzzlord: Guzzlord
Type:
Dark/Dragon
Mega Stone: Guzzlite

Ability: Indigestion - When this Pokemon's health drops below 1/4, it consumes a stat-raising berry corresponding to its highest stat.

(ie Liechi Berry for attack, uses Beast Boost rules to determine stat. Prevented by Unnerve. As One Indigestion + Cheek Pouch and Indigestion + Gluttony would work.)

Stats:
HP - 223 (+0)
ATK - 113 (+12)
DEF - 89 (+36)
SPA - 109 (+12)
SPD - 89 (+36)
SPE - 47 (+4)

Description:
Dex Entry: Guzzlord's already apocalyptic hunger increases exponentially to sustain the insane power of Mega Evolution in the giant beast. However, with its Trainer's bond and control being the only thing stopping it from consuming the planet, its forced to turn to regurgitating and consuming the contents of its stomach, and eventually begins to digest itself.
This is a rather simple submission, but elegant in its own way. The ability allows Guzzlord to utilize its large health pool to accumulate boosts in a desired stat and setup over the course of the game to eventually consume your opponent. With its excessively large HP, there are many strategies to make defensive sets with - for instance, running max DEF/SPD, then taking Bold or Impish nature and Amnesia (or the opposite with Calm/Careful and Iron Defense). Offensive sets work too - running Stockpile (and if you're based enough, Swallow) to slow your damage intake and allow it to safely boost and then utilize said boost can make it easy to become a very fat mon with a lot of offensive presence. Physical sets with Drain Punch can negate the need for a healing move. Special sets are very interesting with being able to accumulate boosts and then nuke with Draco Meteor. However, the more fun piece of candy here is Belch - after its ability pops, Guzzlord has access to an incredibly strong, accurate, 120 BP no-drawback move that also happens to be SE against its big 4x weakness.

Mega Guzzlord @ Guzzlite

Ability: Regenerator

Stat (changes):
223/101/83(+30)/127(+30)/83(+30)/53(+10)

New moves: Breaking Swipe, Teleport
Guzzlord-Mega
Typing:
/

New Ability: Long Reach
{pre-Mega ability was Beast Boost}
STATS: (all primes still; eat it, Naganadel, you traitor)
Atk: 101 → 149 (+48)
Def: 053 → 083 (+30)
SpA: 097 → 107 (+10)
SpD: 053 → 067 (+14)
Spe: 043 → 041 (-02)
(BST: 570 → 670)

Added Moves: Breaking Swipe, Grass Knot, Pursuit

Pokémon Sword: "The writhing mass of tentacles that obscure most of its face and body are actually flexible, stretchy tongues with crushing pincers on the end. If you can see them, you're already in grave danger."
Pokémon Shield: "It has become borderline immobile in its gluttony due to no longer needing to move nearly as much to devour everything around it. It can devastate entire areas while stationary before moving on."

Description: In a fit of irony, I put off submitting an entry for this slate for so long because beyond no real attachment to any of the mons it--I "like" Articuno I guess--being a problem, my only initial idea was for Guzzlord and was...overly complex to avoid being underwhelming, let's say. So in going with the weirdly simple inspiration I had for Virizion, I decided to "keep it simple stupid" by just using another pre-existing ability. In this case it was one that does see some use by its sole user rather than one had by a borderline degenerate Mega, but even so, Long Reach is still not useful as it could have been given that Spirit Shackle was non-contact to begin with (and given Decidueye-Mega ended up with Illusion in this Pet Mod).

While not nearly as inventive as the other submissions, Long Reach fits this mon well due to its access to STAB Knock Off and the percentage-based damage of Iron Barbs and Rocky Helmet causing it to lose more life per contact hit than literally any other mon save for Chansey and Blissey; Long Reach also helps keep it from being statused Flame Body or Baleful Bunker too. To back that up, its prime-locked boosts have mostly gone into Attack, which it already favored anyway, and it got Pursuit too. It mostly got Grass Knot because I wanted to give it at least one of special moves that made contact and that made the made most since while being fairer than giving it, say, Power Whip to destroy (bulky) Waters with, but that move should still be useful despite its lower SpA.

Guzzlord-Mega

Ability - Buildup (This Pokémon restores 1/8 of its maximum HP, rounded down, at the end of each full turn if it uses an attacking move, but only if it was not hit by a damaging move in the same turn.) [Mega Golurk]
New stats -
HP - 223
Attack - 141 (+40)
Defense - 73 (+20)
Special Attack - 97 (+0)
Special Defense - 73 (+20)
Speed - 51 (+10)
(670 BST)

New moves - Dragon Hammer, Pursuit
Description - So, Guzzlord. It's big, it's bulky, it hits hard. This mega is intended to boost all of that, with a big attack boost and a smaller bulk boost. I was intending to give it an ability that was innate leftovers, but I saw buildup and thought it would be a bit irrelevant to have an ability so similar. This ability fits better to a statline like this in my opinion, as it means you can't just spam protect for free recovery, and with Pursuit it's a really scary trapper. Dragon Hammer is a stronger attack than Dragon Claw, and is less risky than Outrage locking yourself, and Pursuit is rather self explanatory for trapping. A very bad weakness to Fairy, and less so to Dragon, Ice, Fighting and Bug keep its stats in check, imo at least, along with the low speed and no actually reliable recovery.
Mega Guzzlord
Dark/Dragon
Stats: 223/127/67/113/79/61
Ability: Omnivore (User gains a Stockpile stage, but not any defense boosts, when hit)
New Moves: none

At heart, Guzzlord is a survivor. While 127 isn't high for a Mega with no particular offensive boosts (unless you get a Beast Boost before the form change), its considerable bulk will let it soak up as well as it dishes out, if not more. Also, it can actually use Swallow.
Mega-Guzzlord

Types :

Ability : Dark Stomach
Ability Description : All Dark-type offensive moves of this pokemon remove the opponent's item.
Mega Stone : Guzzlordite
Stats :
ATK: 137 (+36)
DEF: 67 (+14)
SPA: 113 (+16)
SPD: 71 (+18)
SPE: 59 (+16)
New Moves : Hone Claws, Scale Shot, Darkest Lariat
Collab with Hematemesis and Lord Pxperto!!!

:swsh/guzzlord:
Mega-Guzzlord
Ability: Filter
Stats:
ATK: 101 -> 127 (+26)
DEF: 53 -> 83 (+30)
SPA: 97 -> 97
SPD: 53 -> 79 (+26)
SPE: 43 -> 61 (+18)

Summary: Guzzlord is quite the chonky Ultra Beast (in fact, its the 8th heaviest Pokemon!) So, what about making use of that thickness and filtering out all that super-effective damage? Mega-Guzzlord uses Filter to help negate some of its common weaknesses like U-Turn, Close Combat, Ice, and Fairy moves. Its increased bulk allows it to take quite a few hits, while being able to deal decent damage in return. 61 base speed is It relies heavily on Wish support to be able to continuously tank super-effective hits, but can also run a funny gimmick Rest/Stockpile set to basically wall everything if it doesn't get statused.
Mega Guzzlord :Guzzlord:
Types: Dark/Dragon
Ability: Berry Blender - On entry, this Pokémon eats a berry based on its current HP:
100% HP = Starf Berry
99% - 34% = Sitrus Berry
33% - 1% = Custap Berry
New Move(s): Power Up Punch
223/131/73/127/73/43
ATK: 131(+30)
DEF: 73(+20)
SP.ATK: 127(+30)
SP.DEF: 73(+20)
SPEED: 43(0)

EDIT: I've been informed there are two Guzzlord that were missed!!! ink is asleep right now, so I'm adding them here since I can't add them to his post myself! These are approved subs - really sorry they were left out!!! (I have informed the people who've already voted through Discord!)

:guzzlord: Mega Guzzlord (continued)

Mega Guzzlord
Type:
Dark/ Dragon
New Ability: Pure Power
New Stats:
HP: 223 -> 223
Atk: 101 -> 83 (-18)
Def: 53 -> 83 (+30)
SpA: 97 -> 139 (+42)
SpD: 53 -> 53 (+0)
Spe: 43 -> 79 (+46)
BST: 570 -> 670

Justification: I'm bringing back the GOAT old school m4a mega, Pure Power Guzzlord. However, unlike last time, I've arranged the stats in a way that isn't absurdly broken. While it still boasts great bulk, passable speed (at least it creeps Heatran), and a whole lot of power, it's only about as strong as Marowak (effective 215 attack) and suffers from somewhat weak coverage (no Gunk Shot is a real pain). The high Special Attack helps get around the coverage issues to a degree and opens up the possibility of dropping Dracos on physical walls, but I don't doubt for a second that this Mega can be handled by the metagame. Additionally, bulky Dark-types are just a blessing to have available because Ghost-types can be very broken at times.

Note: I don't know the M4A metagame well at all, I just wanted to resub a version of the mega that carried me through the original M4A Open. If its absurdly broken tell me and I'll try to siphon off more attack.
Mega Guzzlord

Stone:
Guzzlorite
Type: Dark / Dragon
Ability: Technician
Height: 6.3m
Weight: 1078kg
Stats:
Atk: 101 ->143 (+42)
Def: 53 -> 83 (+30)
SpA: 97 -> 113 (+16)
SpD: 53 -> 71 (+18)
Spe: 43 -> 37 (-6)
Total: 570 -> 670
New Moves: Assurance, Breaking Swipe, Curse, Dig, Pursuit, Trick Room

UB-05b Devour is the name for the Mega Evolution of Guzzlord. Mega Evolution has caused it so much pain after coming into contact with a Mega Stone that it turns to eating people and cities as a result for sustenance, and will use methods such as creating tunnels and holes to do so.

Mega Guzzlord is loosely based on rampaging monsters, but mainly on its feeding habits. Because of its never-ending hunger, it tries to resort to eating living beings. This clearly doesn't work for it, however, and so is forever attempting to devour them (hence the code name Devour). The addition of Dig is the only flavour-based move addition, and has the purpose of allowing Guzzlord to tunnel through objects such as buildings and mountains, rather than eating them slowly and allowing it's prey to get away easily.
About 2 months ago, a discussion about technician and the lack of good doubles technician users in VGC at the time existed (and even for mega dodrio it's mostly using single-target moves). Hence the creation of this, uh, monstrosity.
In VGC Mega Guzzlord, while a little more unorthodox for a Trick Room abuser, can both support its teammates and deal massive amounts of damage at the same time thanks to the introduction of a few very useful moves for VGC for it (along with Pursuit because apparently this doesn't learn that, never understood why).
Both Brutal Swing and the newly added Breaking Swipe are 60BP moves that can severely hurt both opponents due to their boosted BP and Mega Guzzlord's 149 base attack (though teammates beware Brutal Swing's damage, as they will also be hurt), and Breaking Swipe also has the added effect of reducing the Attack of those which are hit. Bite, Dual Chop and Gyro Ball also are extremely valued, as they all can benefit from Technician, though are single-target only.
Curse is added as a boosting move that supports its slow wallbreaking and supportive style, and Trick Room can turn the tides in a dire position unexpectedly.
The lack of possible support from Mega Slowking means that Trick Room is extremely useful for Mega Guzzlord when a teammate who would usually set up Trick Room is unable to, or in order to fake a Trick Room from the partner (though it's wide array of weaknesses does not help, especially when so many are commonly present in VGC).
In Singles, Mega Guzzlord takes on a slightly different role in Singles formats. Because Trick Room support is much more matchup dependent, it's own Trick Room setup is very much valued in its moveset. Unfortunately, because of this lack of available moves Mega Guzzlord is limited to just two attacks and Curse, or to go with 3 attacks and no way of boosting.
Bite hits hard and has a 30% chance to flinch, while Dual Chop hits harder overall. Pursuit can be also used to potentially trap Pokémon like Deoxys-S and similar frail mons, though lacks damage otherwise and hence is more valued when Trick Room is not in its moveset.
Gyro Ball hits Fairies for extreme damage, while Earthquake can at least 2HKO Toxapex, Dragalge, Glowking, Heatran and others. Fire Fang hits Ferrothorn super hard, which would otherwise wall it completely. HP Ice can threaten OHKOs on both Lando-T and Gliscor, along with generally being super threatening thanks to the Technician boost.

One final update...
Balance Changes Poll:
The Great Speed Tier Reevaluation

Hello again, everyone!! It's been one entire post since you heard from me!
Uh, so I'm also here with a new poll on various balance changes (been a long time since I helped with one of these O:), and this time, there are a lot of them!!

A majority of these changes revolve around toning down Speed tiers, many of which are codependent, so some of the changes may be polled collectively and it may not be possible for one change to pass without another.
This is something we agreed upon to reduce potential awkwardness if some nerfs are accepted and others are not; most of these Speed tiers are designed to go together, so please take that into account and allow us to consider them as a set for the time being! Further adjustments may come in the future, so definitely share any concerns you have about specific Megas in the feedback section as applicable.
If there are clear and well-justified objections to a particular change, even if just by one person, we may reevaluate it and revisit that change in a separate poll!
Also remember that we are always open to discussion in #balance-changes on Discord in case people are unsatisfied with any of these individually after they go live. C:

The goal of this set of balance changes is to try to add more flexibility of team styles and more options for Speed control to the metagame.​
Currently, the Speed tiers of some viable Pokémon in our metagame are extraordinarily high, which makes it more difficult to answer them offensively and creates an undue emphasis on matchup to the opposing Mega Evolution; some offensive team styles have become especially binary as a result of this.​
Some of these changes are major reductions to Speed, while others are only different by a few points, but all of them were chosen with matchups to specific non-Mega Pokémon in mind and are aimed at reducing the extreme pressure these Pokémon put on the teambuilder. There are also a small number of buffs, but these were not the primary focus of this set of changes.​

Huge thanks to the competitive council for the excellent discussion that led to these balance changes, and especially thanks to the leadership of BlueRay making sure everyone's voices were heard and that all of the results were well justified and stayed true to the original subs' intentions!
At least personally, I am super happy with where these ended up, so I hope everyone feels the same and we can see these changes made!​

I have a lot to cover, so let's get to it!

Mega Raichu - base Speed: 125 to 120 (-5 Speed -> +5 Special Defense)

- We were considering a couple of different options, like 115, 120, 121 and 123, but 120 was the preferred option because it allowed Mega Raichu to win against Cinderace (a highly threatening and somewhat controversial pivot) while making it at least slightly easier for a few faster Pokémon to play around it.

- Special Defense was the safest stat to increase because Mega Raichu's mixed sets are its most threatening and its physical frailty is one of its key balancing factors.

Mega Clefable - base Speed: 110 to 104 (-6 Speed -> +6 Attack)

- Once thought to be hard to justify using over its non-Mega form... haha, how wrong we were! Mega Clefable has made a major impact on the tier and is incredibly cool but also incredibly threatening. It can be difficult to handle reliably because it has priority on all of defensive boosting, recovery and occasionally Will-o-Wisp and Thunder Wave, making it easy to neutralize offensive Pokémon that should threaten it, but we want to add room for faster Pokémon like Blacephalon and Kartana (especially since Will-o-Wisp isn't used by its most common set and one of its main strengths is its versatility) to threaten it offensively, which they currently cannot.

- 104 was chosen in particular because it adds relevance to the existing Speed tier of 105, used by Pokémon like Mega Sharpedo and Mega Pinsir. This also means we can add more Pokémon to base 105 later and let them threaten Mega Clefable if needed, rather than needing to have even more Pokémon creep 110 to do so.

:parasect: Mega Parasect - base Speed: 115 to 101 (-14 Speed -> +14 Special Attack)

- Base 115 is a dangerously high Speed tier for accurate sleep like Spore, and Mega Parasect also has a lot going for it as a threatening cleaner considering its ease of setup (coming in on anything faster, Spore into Swords Dance is almost universally safe) and the incredible scarcity of resistances to its moves after Tinted Lens.

- Base 101 was chosen to make it more difficult to find safe matchups to use Spore and to bring it more in line with the base 100 Orbeetle, the other Bug-type Mega with 100%-accurate sleep.

:rapidash: Mega Rapidash - overall revisions: 65 HP / 103 Attack (-2) / 99 Defense (+4) / 106 Special Attack (-14) / 107 Special Defense (+2) / 120 Speed (+10)

- A buff all around (and Rapidash is one of the few Pokémon gaining Speed here)! This optimizes its bulk and makes versatility between physical and special sets more possible. 120 was chosen to give Rapidash more freedom to threaten offensive Pokémon, while staying shy of both forms of Greninja to leave room for the obvious offensive counterplay. (120 was preferred over 121 to avoid an unnecessary Speed tie with Tornadus-Therian.)

- Mega Rapidash has some very cool mechanical design, but it was balanced around a particular fear of Swords Dance + Flare Blitz with no recoil (mostly my own fault for being stricter than I should have with that slate :'D) and has unfortunately suffered for it. This is more in line with what the original submitter, ausma, wanted to accomplish with the sub in the first place, with the help of some incredibly thorough optimization offered by BlueRay.

- Although the changes to its bulk are subtle, base 107 Special Defense was chosen to avoid a one-hit KO from Specs Kyurem, while base 99 Defense was chosen to avoid a two-hit KO from Band Rillaboom wHY is this a concern for a Fire/Flying-type?? I hate Rillaboom so much.

- In return, 2 points of Attack were dropped because 103 is all it actually needs (notably enough to one-hit KO Calm Heatran with High Horsepower after Stealth Rock), and the rest was taken out of Special Attack, which was not the focus of the submission but was raised as a dump stat for safety reasons.

- The new spread has a lot more versatility and customizability, which will hopefully help Mega Rapidash to shine more often in high-level play!

:starmie: Mega Starmie - poll to lose Calm Mind

- Because of its Ability, Rotation, Mega Starmie is one of the bulkiest Pokémon in the metagame and easily adapts to whatever opponent is in front of it, allowing it to force switches easily and in turn making it easy to set up. Its high bulk, especially if it gets a physical Defense boost from Rotation to complement Calm Mind, can make it too difficult for unprepared teams to take down efficiently while it sets up, and it has reliable recovery further easing setup and allowing it to pose a threat many times throughout the match.

- Even without Calm Mind, Mega Starmie will still be viable as a highly threatening pivot that can come in safely on many offensive Pokémon and continually force them out with its blistering Speed, powerful moves and wide coverage.

- Removing Calm Mind will allow Starmie to focus on its prowess as a threatening utility pivot rather than also being a defining offensive presence, which would be appreciated as a way to tone it down, as it is currently one of the most threatening Pokémon in the mod.

:jolteon: Mega Jolteon - overall revisions: 65 HP / 95 Attack (+30) / 60 Defense / 139 Special Attack (-21) / 125 Special Defense / 141 Speed (-9), regain Calm Mind​

- By lowering its extreme Special Attack and Speed stats and reallocating the lost points into its largely-unused Attack stat, we hope to tone down Mega Jolteon substantially, as it is currently another of the most difficult Pokémon for unprepared teams to handle. This is especially true since it has come to dominance on rain teams, where Weather Ball entirely undermines its intended lack of coverage, while indirectly boosting its offensive presence as it was balanced more around Thunder and Volt Switch than Thunderbolt.

- Notably, this Special Attack reduction stops a Tempestuous-boosted Thunder from one-hit KOing Rillaboom (an Electric-resistant Pokémon designed to revenge physically frail Pokémon just like Jolteon) after Stealth Rock, opening a crucial avenue for offensive counterplay, while its less substantial Speed reduction leaves it slower than Zeraora, a relatively niche but physically offensive and Electric-immune Pokémon that is sometimes used as natural Speed control to oppose Pokémon just like Jolteon.

- In turn, Calm Mind is being added back after being removed from the last nerf, because it was considered an integral part of Jolteon's identity and mechanical design. Since the nerf, it has been shown that Jolteon can use Work Up to a similar effect; removing Calm Mind proved not to address the core part of the problem (Jolteon being able to cleave through Pokémon that weren't among its intended targets) while making it worse in the areas where it was supposed to thrive, especially allowing it to revenge specially offensive attackers more easily. This stat nerf was designed with attention given to making Calm Mind acceptable, so it should no longer be problematic.

:infernape: Mega Infernape - base Speed: 138 -> 120 (-18 Speed -> +12 Defense, +6 Special Defense)

- 138 is currently faster than any non-Mega in the metagame except the controversial Deoxys-Speed and the niche Regieleki, making it incredibly difficult to handle Mega Infernape offensively. In addition, its access to many mixed boosting options - all of Swords Dance, Nasty Plot, Bulk Up and Calm Mind - leaves Mega Infernape unpredictable and hard to answer efficiently. Lowering its Speed from 138 to 120 introduces new counterplay like both forms of Greninja and Tornadus-Therian, which are common Pokémon in the metagame (note that Infernape still has Mach Punch and Vacuum Wave for Greninja, but Greninja, especially Ash-Greninja, frequently runs Water Shuriken; assuming both use their priority moves of choice, Greninja's Speed still gives it an advantage).

- Adding 12 Defense to Infernape allows it to take hits from Weavile better than if all 18 points were put into Special Defense, as it was decided that Weavile is an expected winning matchup for Infernape and giving it the Speed disadvantage in that matchup was not necessarily intended as part of the nerf.

:staraptor: Mega Staraptor - overall revisions: 85 HP / 150 Attack (+10) / 85 Defense / 50 Special Attack (-25) / 80 Special Defense / 135 Speed (+15)

- Mega Staraptor is fundamentally a highly interesting Pokémon, but it is rarely seen because of its tame stats and the double-edged nature of its Ability. This is one of the other Pokémon that's being buffed rather than nerfed this time around; it currently only has a decent matchup against the most passive of teams and struggles with chip even then, so raising its Speed is intended to improve its offense matchup and make it easier to justify running, while its improved Attack helps it just a bit more to punish passive cores as intended.

- As a clarification, 50 is the same as non-Mega Staraptor's Special Attack; this is not minmaxing because the 25 Special Attack it had in the first place was intentionally made to throw away 25 points, which was more detrimental than intended.

:kricketune: Mega Kricketune - overall revisions: 77 HP / 124 Attack (-21) / 86 Defense (+35) / 15 Special Attack / 51 Special Defense / 131 Speed (-14); add Mat Block and Quick Guard, replacing Drain Punch and Dual Wingbeat​

- Formerly something of a meme pick and given over-the-top stats that were deliberately balanced around a limited movepool, Mega Kricketune got somewhat out of hand when it was later buffed with highly impactful movepool additions like Close Combat and Triple Axel. These direct stat nerfs are meant to tone it down, especially in a singles environment, while leaning into the design choices that made the original so unique.

- Kricketune was also originally given its high Speed (and Triple Axel) with the intention of punishing Dragon Dance from Dragapult by copying its Speed boosts, a Pokémon that was banned from our metagame very soon after and has not been relevant since. Lowering Kricketune's Speed actually reimagines its relationship to Dragapult in another cool way: since Dragapult isn't present in OU regardless, the place where their dynamic would matter the most is in VGC, and underspeeding Dragapult benefits Kricketune by allowing it to copy its own partner's Dragon Dance and then use a boosted attack in the same turn.

- It was noted that, while this Speed nerf brings Mega Kricketune below Ash-Greninja, it can still revenge it using First Impression, preserving an intuitive favorable matchup according to type. First Impression has higher priority than Water Shuriken, so Ash-Greninja's priority access is not a concern.

- Rather than completely discarding the points taken out of Attack and Speed, they were put into Defense to help Kricketune switch into Ground-type Pokémon in singles and utilize its unusual defensive type to check Urshifu (Single-Strike Style) in VGC. Similarly, Mat Block and Quick Guard were discussed as interesting supportive options for VGC, while it was generally agreed that Drain Punch and Dual Wingbeat are not used in singles and there was no need to preserve them.

:krookodile: Mega Krookodile - base Speed: 119 -> 112 (-7 Speed -> +7 Special Attack)

- Lowering Mega Krookodile's Speed is a relatively minor change that gives slightly more of an edge to Mega Dugtrio, which relies on its uniquely high Speed to stand out among Ground-types but currently isn't worth using over Krookodile at all. It only changes a few of Krookodile's matchups, but 119 is definitely higher than it needs, and this leaves room for Cinderace, Hawlucha and Serperior to revenge it reliably if it attempts to sweep using Hone Claws (Hone Claws doesn't sound obviously threatening, but its Ability affords major utility compression to any Dark-type status move, so it is commonly seen on Krookodile for that reason).

:sawsbuck-summer: Mega Sawsbuck (Summer) - revise Summer Days (custom Ability)

- A minor and probably temporary change, but we would like to replace the effect of Summer Days with a clone of Solar Power for the time being. This may be revisited later, but it was a compromise intended to simplify the current effect (which most often functions as Solar Power in practice but offers too much flexibility) without damaging the naming scheme of Sawsbuck's forms.

- For context, the current effect of Summer Days is as follows:

If its Special Attack is greater than its Speed, including stat stage changes, this Pokémon's Ability is Solar Power.​
If its Speed is greater than its Special Attack, including stat stage changes, this Pokémon's Ability is Chlorophyll.​

The proposed change would remove any variance and directly replace the effect of Summer Days with that of Solar Power.

:bisharp: Mega Bisharp - base Speed: 110 -> 114 (-4 Special Defense -> +4 Speed)

- This one is another buff! Mega Bisharp is somewhat rarely seen but is meant to specialize in revenging, so giving it a higher Speed to improve its matchup against offensive Pokémon is a natural improvement.

- It was noted that a slight edge in Speed would give it a better matchup against a common Substitute user in Serperior, which is a fun change because Beat Up is a popular (if niche) option to capitalize on Executioner.

:hydreigon: Mega Hydreigon - base Speed: 118 -> 114 (-4 Speed -> +4 Attack)

- This one will be polled separately, because we weren't as sure if it was necessary to nerf and would value the input! That said, we are generally in favor because of the way the nerf would benefit other Mega Evolutions more in need.

- The primary benefit of lowering Mega Hydreigon's Speed is that it improves the matchup of some less-seen Ice-type Mega Evolutions against it, helping to diversify the metagame. The primary beneficiaries are Mega Froslass and Mega Sawsbuck-Winter.

- Against non-Megas, almost nothing changes - only Hawlucha changes from a tie to a losing matchup, and Hawlucha rarely runs Jolly and often has an Unburden boost, so the Speed tie is almost a non-factor regardless.

- Another reason this is cool is because it converges with Bisharp, allowing future additions to be made with the Speed tier of multiple Dark-types in mind.

:talonflame: Mega Talonflame - base Speed: 166 -> 129 (-37 Speed -> +37 Attack)

- Mega Talonflame is one of the most dangerous enablers in the metagame right now, as a trapper that targets one of the most crucial types and has an absurdly good offensive matchup against important Pokémon like Corviknight (with Fire STAB) and Landorus and Gliscor (with Ground immunity, high Special Attack and Hidden Power Ice). A particularly devastating core features Mega Talonflame alongside Magnezone and Rillaboom, the former two collectively removing everything even resembling defensive counterplay to Rillaboom. It also outspeeds even Scarf Landorus, one of the few currently-viable Choice Scarf users in the metagame - and one it already pigeonholes into clicking U-turn just by existing on the opposing team - which is largely excessive.

- As a result, it was decided that Mega Talonflame's 166 Speed is highly excessive and it needs to be more open to offensive counterplay at least from non-Flying-types. Because there's such a wide gap in Speed tiers after the 130s, taking it all the way down to 129 only actually puts it below a very small number of relevant non-Megas, but it includes important matchups against Ash-Greninja and Tapu Koko and makes it easier for opposing teams to handle.

- Note that Mega Talonflame prefers to be specially offensive for its advantages against other Flying-type Pokémon it prefers to trap. This takes its Attack from 81 to 118, while its Special Attack is 134. Mixed sets are expected to remain dispreferred.

Mega Meowstic (female) - base Speed: 114 -> 104 (-10 Speed -> +10 Defense / +5 Defense, +5 Attack / +10 Attack)

- Mega Meowstic-F is widely used for being one of the most devastating wallbreakers in the metagame, so lowering its Speed is an attempt to provide more offensive counterplay where defensive counterplay is generally unsatisfactory. Lowering its Speed by another 10 points since the last nerf allows it to be threatened by Blacephalon and Kartana, two specially frail offensive Pokémon with obviously favorable type matchups, among other more niche Pokémon. It also neatly matches Clefable in this way, so future Ghost- and Steel-type Mega Evolutions could be designed with their shared Speed tier in mind.

- We will poll where these 10 points should be allocated separately from whether the nerf should take place. Meowstic losing Speed is part of the collective Speed tier fixes and will necessarily pass if everything else does (it's one of the more pressing nerfs of the bunch, actually), but there are a few choices for the most preferred reallocation and we're interested to see what people would like.

:tyrantrum: Mega Tyrantrum - overall revisions: 82 HP / 159 Attack (+8) / 139 Defense (+20) / 69 Special Attack (-30) / 89 Special Defense / 83 Speed (+2)

- +2 to base Speed may look minor, but it allows Mega Tyrantrum to run Adamant safely and outspeed Tapu Koko, an important Fairy-type it's designed to target, when at +1 Speed (possible from Dragon Dance or Scale Shot). This was a very particular buff and one of the more important changes here.

- Base 159 Attack also gives Adamant Mega Tyrantrum a high chance to KO Corviknight and a guaranteed KO on Rillaboom, both after Stealth Rocks, if it manages to use Head Smash at +1 Attack. (This is high-risk and not always easy, and these calcs are both possible but less likely with its current Attack, so the buff is far from unreasonable; it only helps to reduce variance for a Pokémon that is relatively inconsistent in its current state.)

- Like Staraptor, Mega Tyrantrum originally had +30 Special Attack as a deliberate throwaway because its power level was uncertain. -30 Special Attack is not minmaxing but returning it to the level of non-Mega Tyrantrum now that we can make more informed decisions to buff its other stats.

- Base 139 Defense makes effective use of the rest of the dumped points from Special Attack, allowing a defensively-uninvested Tyrantrum to survive Kartana's Smart Strike consistently after Stealth Rock.

- Is this not the prettiest-looking stat spread what the heck ;-;

:trevenant: Mega Trevenant - base Speed: 91 -> 77 (-14 Speed -> +14 Special Attack)

- Mega Trevenant's Speed nerf was chosen with the Pokémon that resist its priority moves in mind. Taking it down from 91 helps Dragonite and Kommo-o to outspeed and threaten it, and 77 in particular was chosen because it makes sure an Adamant-natured Mega Trevenant always falls short of 254 (it reaches exactly 253), which was discussed as a common Speed tier used by Moltres.

Mega Lycanroc (Midday Form) - base Speed: 137 to 117 (-20 Speed -> +20 Special Attack)

- STAB Extreme Speed is extremely rare (:linoone::arceus: ... yeah that's all of them) and has proven very powerful as an anti-offense tool. It's often one of Lycanroc's most damaging moves to use whether it needs the priority or not, since it's exactly as strong as non-STAB Close Combat without the drawback and more accurate than Stone Edge; this makes it extremely safe to click on most occasions. With this in mind, Lycanroc definitely doesn't need all of the Speed it has, and it definitely should be given reason to struggle against other fast Pokémon when Extreme Speed isn't a good option.

- One of the considerations at the forefront of our decision-making process was to give Mega Lycanroc reason to consider running a Jolly nature over an Adamant one, forcing it to make sacrifices between its impressive breaking power and its matchups against specific offensive Pokémon; for example, a Jolly nature is now needed to outspeed Hawlucha (which conventionally runs Adamant) and make the best use of Down-to-Earth in preventing it from activating Unburden. Greninja and Cinderace are other examples of offensive Pokémon that Lycanroc should no longer be able to force out unboosted if they are kept healthy.

- Mega Lycanroc already barely has incentive to run investment in Speed, so lowering its Speed to 137 may indirectly weaken its other stats while still leaving room for customizability depending on its user's priorities. This is preferred over there being relatively little to lose by going borderline uninvested. P:

- Incidentally, a major factor in Mega Lycanroc's original Speed tier was the example of :lycanroc-dusk: the original Mega Lycanroc (Dusk Form), whose Speed was the dramatically over-the-top base 142; most other submissions at the time were even faster than 137, because it was difficult to justify the fastest non-Mega Lycanroc being outdone by Dusk form. With Lycandusk's Speed having been nerfed since, Midday form's Speed tier has become even more excessive by comparison; as Midday form's original submitter, I was one of the firmest advocates for nerfing it myself and regret how fast it was.

:thievul: Mega Thievul - base Speed: 110 to 107 (-3 Speed -> +3 Special Defense)

- 110 is a very common Speed tier for Mega Evolutions, and we are trying to reduce the importance of Speed ties by diversifying just a little!

- One consideration in lowering Speed to 107 was the Swords of Justice - Cobalion, Terrakion and Keldeo (less so Virizion; most people are making its Mega faster anyway) - which are meant to answer Dark-types effectively. As Dark is a powerful attacking type that's difficult to resist, allowing more of our relevant Fighting-types to answer Thievul offensively is beneficial.

- Thievul has unique access to special Dark priority, which still allows it to take care of faster specially frail Pokémon and faster Psychic- and Ghost-types (such as Latios, Latias, Gengar and Kartana, as well as Blacephalon which ties with it now). Lowering its Speed a little is actually really cool for getting more value out of its Sleight of Hand-boosted Sucker Punch, which is one of its most unique tools; not needing priority as badly makes this go unnoticed.

- The reduced points could go into any of its other four stats with little consequence, but Special Defense kinda looks nice!

:falinks: Mega Falinks (Legion) base Speed: 115 to 111 (-4 Speed -> +1 in each of its other four stats)

- 115 is also a relatively crowded Speed tier for Mega Evolutions, so lowering Mega Falinks-Legion's Speed allows other Mega Evolutions to check it more reliably and reduces the importance of Speed ties.
- Splitting the 4 points across its other four stats was a purely aesthetic call that people liked!

Whew! That's all for today!
As something of a tl;dr, there's a simple infographic on the poll summarizing the changes and showing the Pokémon's original stats, Abilities and movepool additions for comparison!

>>> PLEASE VOTE HERE <<<
to let us know how you feel about these balance changes!

What's next?
- Newcomer :slowking-galar: Mega Slowking (Galarian Form) has taken us all by surprise - there's a very wide consensus that it should see a nerf in the near future! Similarly, :mudsdale: Mega Mudsdale has seen a lot of recent discussion, but there's not quite a direction that has everyone on board just yet. These two can expect revisions soon once we've come to an agreement on how to handle them.​
- On the other hand, most have not been completely satisfied with the nerf to
Mega Dragonite (my friend Dragonite)
(what a good friend!!!!), which has left it without much of a role in the metagame after toning down its most dangerous elements so steeply. Now that we know it can be brought to a manageable place, we'll try to help it work its way back up to a more effective middle ground! (
)​
Mega Cinderace's nerf also didn't leave it in a good place at all, but we're not going to touch it because we don't want a Pokémon already in such a precarious place to become even more versatile.​
- Some non-Mega Pokémon that we are considering reevaluating in the future are :deoxys-speed: Deoxys (Speed Forme) and :cinderace: Cinderace with higher priority and :kyurem: Kyurem and potentially :manaphy: Manaphy after those have been addressed, with the same goal of keeping the metagame as friendly as possible to different team styles and reducing the importance of matchup in our format, which has a relatively high power level at the moment.​
- In return, we might look into giving :tapu-lele: Tapu Lele the proper suspect process it was never actually given, although we'll try to focus on coming to an agreement on the Pokémon that need to leave the metagame before adding more. (I am not personally hoping to see Tapu Lele back but I respect the importance of giving it a fair test and it has been requested enough time :'D)

Voting for both slate 40 and the above balance changes is planned to end in about 60 hours (two days and a half), and we'll take a break of a few days after deciding the winners!
And on a very final note, the poll to decide slate 41 can be found here - we'll announce slate 41 at the same time as the winners! C:​

Last edited:
:articuno:
  1. KeroseneZanchu
  2. Ausma & Violette (this is likely gonna need a nerf in the future but its a kyurem counter so hell yeah)
  3. Z-nogyroP
  4. Hematemesis
  5. Jazzmat
  6. Tgtz
  1. Z-nogyroP
  2. Blueray
  3. War Incarnate
  4. Okispokis
:Guzzlord:
  1. Clasmia
  2. Blueray
  3. Earl
  4. Hematemesis
  5. Okispokis
  6. Tgtz
  7. Dark Fairy
iTS MIDNIGHT FOR ME BUT GOOD LUCK IN VOTING TO EVERTthing i falling asleep

Last edited:
Mega Virizion Votes
1)
Z-nogyroP
2) SimpyShrimp
3) KeroseneZanchu and ausma
4) War Incarnate
5) Hematemesis and Paulluxx

Mega Articuno Votes
1) Paulluxx and BlueRay
2) Violettes and ausma
3) jazzmat
4) TGtz8920
5) okispokis

Mega Guzzlord Votes
1) Vipotis
2) LordThemberchaud
3) ARandomPerson
4) Ludicrousity
5) ry4242

1) NANI!?!
I'm not really a huge fan of more hail setters, but Diamond Dust works so freaking well on Articuno that I'll allow it.

2) Violettes + ausma
3) Z-nogyroP
4) jazzmat
5) okispokis
6) Kerosene Zanchu

(god these were some really really good ones)
1) depressed lion
2)
Kero & ausma
3) War Incarnate
4) Z-nogyroP
5) BlueRay

All of these can be interchanged with one another, all 5 of these subs were on another level and really impressive
6) Bolivia + Paul
7) okispokis
8) NANI!?!

1) Z-nogyroP
2)
EeveeGirl, Bolivia and LordPxperto
3) BlueRay
4) Regic Boat

...soon.

Last edited:
1. okispokis
2. TGtz8920
3. Violettes + ausma
4. SimpyShrimp

1. Z-nogyroP
2. okispokis
3. SimpyShrimp
4. ARandomPerson
5. War Incarnate
6. jazzmat + Eeveegirl1380

:Guzzlord:
1. ARandomPerson
2. KeroseneZanchu
3. Ludicrousity
4. EeveeHemaLord
5. okispokis
6. NANI?!
7. DarkFairy

ViZar

your toast is burned
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnus

:rb/articuno:
  1. Violettes & ausma
  2. Paulluxx & BlueRay
  3. KeroseneZanchu
  4. SimpyShrimp
  5. okispokis
  6. Hematemesis
  7. The Damned
  8. Z-nogyroP

1. Hematemesis & Paulluxx
  2. BlueRay
  3. SimpyShrimp
  4. KeroseneZanchu & ausma
  5. jazzmat & EeveeGirl1380
  6. The Damned
  7. NANI?!
  8. okispokis
  9. ViZar

:sm/guzzlord:
  1. earl
  2. KeroseneZanchu
  3. ry4242
  4. EeveeGirl1380 & Hematemesis & Lord Pxperto
  5. BlueRay
  6. Vipotis
  7. okispokis
  8. LordThemberchaud
  9. Z-nogyroP

See you again in 2 years

It's never a bad time to bring out the blades and with it my own brand of justice!
1. War Incarnate
2. BlueRay
3. okispokis
4. SimpyShrimp
5. Hema + Paul

6. Kerosene + Ausma
7. depressed lion
8. Z-nogyroP
9. NANI?!
10. Rosario
11. ViZar
12. jazzmat + eeveegirl1380

ROWF! RAWWRRRR! *Chomp!* *Nom Nom Nom Nom*
1. KeroseneZanchu
2. Vipotis
3. Regic Boat
4. LordThemberchaud
5. jazzmat
6. Ludicrousity
7. Pika Xreme
8. War Incarnate

Is it just me, or is it really cold here?
1. KeroseneZanchu
2. okispokis
3. The Damned
4. Paulluxx + BlueRay
5. Z-nogyroP
6. Violettes + ausma
7. Hematemesis
8. jazzmat
9. NANI?!
10. Tgtz8920

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 4)