Melee Thread (TOURNAMENT SPOILERS TO BE EXPECTED)

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
The fact that esam didn't enter melee at pound is all that really needs to be pointed to. [#alex19forTt4shInvitational]

Also rip duck with the highest effort/votes ratio anyone has had for one of these and still not making it.
View attachment 59978
the fact that this image is going to be on the top of the page until the next page is heavily disturbing me

.-.

spoiler tag pls

Pardon my french but I'm fucking MAD. I attended a local yesterday only to get pitted up against - you guessed it - a falcon player. A 17 year old, greasy, pringlebreath stoner fucking falcon player. The set begins, he immediately grabs me into a down throw followed by a knee read on the tech in and THEN knees me offstage. Following this he starts fucking mouthbreathing and screaming "HYPEEEE" while standing up and thrusting the CRT which made my blood boil to the point where I unplugged my controller and forfeit.

Stratos

Banned deucer.
Pardon my french but I'm fucking MAD. I attended a local yesterday only to get pitted up against - you guessed it - a falcon player. A 17 year old, greasy, pringlebreath stoner fucking falcon player. The set begins, he immediately grabs me into a down throw followed by a knee read on the tech in and THEN knees me offstage. Following this he starts fucking mouthbreathing and screaming "HYPEEEE" while standing up and thrusting the CRT which made my blood boil to the point where I unplugged my controller and forfeit.
I know how you feel. One time I drove all the way to CSU to play in a tournament, get stuck in traffic and lost against this retarded ass sheik. Down threw tech chase and wouldn't stop shino stalling I really could not think straight. I offered to MM him for more than $20. Nope. I thought I would have made it out of pools if I knew how to fucking buffer roll. But they didn't even give me the frames to do it. Bullshit, just straight up bullshit. Probably will never go to a tournament that gay ass sheiks enter ever again. It definitely ruined my day.

MEW2KING JUST 3-0'D ARMADA IN WINNERS SEMIS

Armada looking uncharacteristically sloppy, dropping a lot of stuff in doubles top 4 and in the match vs M2K. M2K's marth looking amazing

I'm really glad Leffen got his visa sorted out. Really would've liked to see how Summit 2 would have turned out with him there!

Also a tournament was recently held here in Canada and a lot of people are telling me it was shit because setup was awful and the organisers were generally incompetent (for shame...). Any highlights worth searching for though?

He doesn't have it actually sorted out. His visa only lasts until the end of July. TSM/Red Bull are still working to find a permanent fix.

churine

lunatic+
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Well its basically confirmed Leffen's at CEO, Apex tho I'm not sure about EVO. Maybe Leffen can go for a C3O if he wins this year's : )

Oh & the Leffen visa petition has reached half of the goal. Him getting a 2 month visa doesnt mean we should not sign anymore, as this petition can also help other players of other eSports.

He doesn't have it actually sorted out. His visa only lasts until the end of July. TSM/Red Bull are still working to find a permanent fix.
Yeesh. What a bummer. COME ON LEFFEN!

Earlier today Mango posted a stream recap from youtube:

The comments he makes about playstyle and pride in general have me at a loss about (philosophically) how to approach smash for myself.

Someone in the comments said this: "But who's to say the way m2k or armada plays isn't also from their heart? Just like how mango's playstyle fits his personality, the way mew2king plays also fits his personality because he plays by the numbers, he uses counterpicks to make sure he always has the advantage[...]Saying that they sold out because they dont play like mango is bullshit, all mango love aside."

I think this is absolutely true. Mango says he plays for pride, but his pride is not someone else's pride. When he let someone recover from a mistake they made at Summit, the commentators were on his ass about it (especially because he nearly lost the game) but I would've done the same thing. I don't like "obvious" plays to win (I will never like scarflard, and Smash 4 in general is generally un-fun to me because a friend in my group takes it too seriously) but I similarly dislike how a defensive style of play (Hbox's defensive bairs with Jigglypuff) are derided. Arrrgh too much to think about here. Any thoughts on Mango's philosophy?

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Well its basically confirmed Leffen's at CEO, Apex tho I'm not sure about EVO. Maybe Leffen can go for a C3O if he wins this year's : )

Oh & the Leffen visa petition has reached half of the goal. Him getting a 2 month visa doesnt mean we should not sign anymore, as this petition can also help other players of other eSports.
I read somewhere that Leffen can go to EVO actually, think the visa's until the end of july

McMeghan

Dreamcatcher
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis the 5th Smogon Classic Winneris the Smogon Tour Season 14 Championis a defending SPL Championis a Past SPL Champion
Big Chungus Winner
Top Tier Top 8 hnnng. Melee was fantastic in Canada this week-end.

Things I personally and subjectively liked: Mango going Falco. I love it. Another Falcon in Top 8. I actually liked the air horn, I thought it was pretty funny, and as a casual sport fan, I love me some banting from the crowd. Talking about the crowd, it was one of the best I've seen, made the tournament so hype.

I was also rooting for the resident fuckboi. Considering what he went through in the past months, I was delighted to see him play so well and clean and take it all in a Gary vs Elite 4 fashion.

Here is to a great Summer of Smash!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)