OU Meloetta

I have personally used Meloetta extensively, and I have a few sets that I run on her.

Meloetta @ Assault Vest
Nature: Modest
248HP/8Def/252SpA

-Psychic/Psyshock
-Energy Ball/Grass Knot
-Shadow Ball
-Dazzling Gleam/Focus Blast

This is my main set, I tend to run Psychic over Psyshock for the special defense drop, as hitting the physical defense has rarely if ever benefitted (Psyshock and Psychic both do a pittance of damage to the pink blobs). I run Energy ball as a way to hit water/grounds hard, and I prefer it over Grass Knot for constant power, and besides, Energy Ball got a power buff this gen. Shadow Ball is a must, as with it, I can easily defeat Aegislash and other ghost types. Lastly is Dazzling Gleam. I prefer it over Focus Miss because when I'm facing Greninja, I can survive a Dark Pulse easily and OHKO with Dazzling Gleam. Focus Miss does hit harder, and hits Bisharp and Tyranitar significantly harder, but I plan teammates around it's weaknesses (usually I run Guts Conkeldurr) As a side note, with the Assault Vest, Meloetta can survive Kyogre's Water Spout in the rain, when both are at full health, but I wouldn't recommend Meloetta on an Uber team.

I also run a bulky CM set:

Meloetta Leftovers
Nature: Bold
248HP/252Def/8SpD
-Thunder Wave/Shadow Ball
-Psychic/Psyshock
-Dazzling Gleam/Shadow Ball
-Calm Mind

This set is a little harder to use well in the current OU metagame as it is hard to set up the first Calm Mind. Paralysis support is incredibly useful. Psychic and Psyshock for mandatory STABs. The one you use is your preference. I use Dazzling Gleam, as with Psychic, Meloetta has great coverage. However, it has trouble with Aegislash and other steel types. Shadow Ball can be used over it but then Meloetta is walled by every Dark Type, which she hates even more. If you don't need paralysis support, you can replace T-Wave with Shadow Ball and that provides you with (I believe) perfect neutral coverage with all three moves. After a single boost, Meloetta already hits very hard, and takes hits pretty well from both sides.

These sets were provided because I have very good luck using both in OU, and I wanted to provide some coverage options on the Assault Vest set and provide an idea for another set. I have gotten a few teams up to 1500ish points with these sets at the core. Please criticize, but understand that I don't know rules all that well, as this is my first day with an account on this forum.

CyclicCompound

is a bicycle person thing
is a Contributor Alumnus
Well, the important thing in bringing up that set is comparing it to Suicune, another ridiculously bulky user of Calm Mind who fulfills a similar role. However, unlike Meloetta, Suicune can get away with running only one attack, doesn't mind status as much due to RestTalk, and is arguably better at taking on physical attackers due to the threat of Burn from Scald. Unless you prove why Meloetta is better than Suicune at being a bulky CM sweeper, there's not much of a point in including that set in the analysis.

Another important thing to note is that contrary to what you said, Meloetta DOES NOT "fuck up" almost all stall teams:

4 SpA Meloetta Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Quagsire: 102-120 (25.8 - 30.4%) -- 1.7% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
4 SpA Meloetta Psychic vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Clefable: 132-156 (33.5 - 39.5%) -- 17.3% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

There's no way you're getting past either of those walls, and without Rest to save you from status, you'd need to be extremely careful about switching around with Meloetta around stall teams.

Aragorn the King

Literally a duck
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
4 SpA Meloetta Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Quagsire: 102-120 (25.8 - 30.4%) -- 1.7% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
4 SpA Meloetta Psychic vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Clefable: 132-156 (33.5 - 39.5%) -- 17.3% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery.
I agree with your post, but why would you use Shadow Ball v. Quagsire? Psychic would do 1.6875 times as much damage, so around 51.3% max. Clefable of course is unbeatable, but Quagsire really doesn't want to be up against Meloetta with Psychic instead of Psyshock.

CyclicCompound

is a bicycle person thing
is a Contributor Alumnus
I agree with your post, but why would you use Shadow Ball v. Quagsire? Psychic would do 1.6875 times as much damage, so around 51.3% max. Clefable of course is unbeatable, but Quagsire really doesn't want to be up against Meloetta with Psychic instead of Psyshock.
My bad, I thought I read only Psyshock.

Regardless, Meloetta is very hard-pressed to beat Chansey if it uses Psychic, and Quagsire if it uses Psyshock.

+6 4 SpA Meloetta Psychic vs. 0 HP / 252 SpD Eviolite Chansey: 246-289 (38.3 - 45%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

So yeah, overall, there's really little-to-no way it's beating stall.

Am check :]

Remove
Add
Comments

Overview
########

With a unique typing and
some nicely distributed stats, Meloetta once again finds itself once more in the OU metagame. Meloetta's Normal / Psychic typing and mediocre defense really hurts its viability in a metagame where Dark-types are a dominant force. However, it can easily switch in on any Ghost-type and beats it thanks to its Ghost immunity. A base 90 Speed and no form of priority can really hurt Meloetta sometimes, as Flying-typ Flying-type priority is very common in the OU metagame now. But However, equip Meloetta with an Assault Vest, and you'll have a strong special attacker that can 2HKO or OHKO almost the entire metagame. (Assualt Vest doesn't actually affect Meloetta's damage output like you make it seem in this sentence. It might be better to mention how the bulk helps it tank attacks.) It can also beat strong special attackers such as Mega Charizard Y, Thundurus-I Thundurus, and Keldeo, or even Special special Aegislash in a one on one one-on-one situation, something that other special attackers can only dream about.

Assault Vest Attacker
########
name: Assault Vest Attacker
move 1: Psyshock
move 2: Hyper Voice
move 3: Focus Blast
move 4: Shadow Ball / Thunderbolt
ability: Serene Grace
item: Assault Vest
nature: Modest
evs: 136 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD / 112 Spe

Moves
========

Psyshock is something that makes
it Meloetta stand out from other specially based Assault Vest users; it's not only a good STAB attack, but it also hits the opponents Defense stat instead of their Special Defense, making it a good move to use when Meloetta's trying to beat Pokemon like specially defensive Mega Venusaur (This should be specified, since most are physically defensive now) and other Assault Vest users. Hyper Voice is Meloetta's other STAB attack, (AC) and while it doesn't hit anything for super effective damage, Hyper Voice hits hard. It's also a sound move, meaning that it hits Pokemon behind Substitute, making Substitute a bad move to use for some Pokemon allowing it to beat Substitute users such as (insert Substitute users Meloetta beats here). Focus Blast gives Meloetta a chance to beat Steel-types who which resist both of Meloetta's STAB attacks, but what is even more crucial is that it gives Meloetta a nice way of hitting the opposing Dark-types. Neither Tyranitar or Bisharp dare switch in on Meloetta as Focus Blast will outright OHKO them. Be aware that if it misses, they will OHKO Meloetta with their STAB attacks. Focus Blast also makes sure that Meloetta isn't setup bait for Ferrothorn or Heatran. Shadow Ball gives Meloetta the ability to beat Ghost-types who which can could otherwise switch in for free on Hyper Voice thanks to their immunity. It also allows Meloetta to beat almost every Aegislash set, a really very common Pokemon. Thanks to Serene Grace, Shadow Ball also has a nice 40% chance of lowering the opponent's Special Defense, making forcing them the opponent to either switch out or risk getting KOed during the next turn. Thunderbolt is another option if one would prefer Meloetta to handle bulky Flying-types such as Skarmory or Mandibuzz better than Ghost-types. Thunderbolt also has the benefit of chance to paralyzing paralyze the opponent, probably most likely crippling them for the rest of the match. U-turn another nice option to both scout out potential checks and grab offensive momentum.

Set Details
========

Assault Vest is Meloetta's bread and butter set. Without any form of recovery outside of Leftovers, Assault Vest
becomes the better best option. While equipped, Meloetta is extremely bulky on the special side, only having a 30% chanse of getting 2HKOed by Charizard Y's Fire Blast in the sun and only getting 3HKOed by Modest Landorus-I's Earth Power, which isn't something many other offensive Pokemon can brag about. The EV spread is a combination of offensive power and bulk. Max Special Sttack Attack and a Modest nature make sure Meloetta can 2HKO or OHKO most of the metagame. 112 Speed EVs are used in order to outspeed and OHKO Jolly Mega Tyranitar and Adamant Bisharp with Focus Blast. Bisharp still has Sucker Punch, however, which means meaning it really comes down to a mindgame between Sucker Punch and Knock Off. 136 HP EVs gives Meloetta a good extra bulk and a good Stealth Rock number, making sure that Meloetta can switch in as many times as possible, while also reducing damage from poison and burn. The last eight EVs are put into Special Defense in order to boost Meloetta's special bulk even further.
Usage Tips
========

Meloetta's sky-high Special Defense enables it to shrug off any weak special attack, which gives it plenty of switch-in opportunities. Meloetta is also able to beat almost any special attacker in the tier in a
one on one one-on-one situation fight. Avoid Try to avoid getting caught by Dark-types, (AC) as they will outright OHKO Meloetta if its it misses Focus Blast misses. They can also catch a fleeing Meloetta with Pursuit if you predict incorrectly. Any Aegislash that lacks Iron Head is a free switch-in for Meloetta, as it cannot beat Meloetta without it. However, Meloetta should also watch out for the SubToxic set from Aegislash, as it can Toxic stall Meloetta until it faints with the combination of King's Shield and Substitute. Entry hazards and passive damage such as sandstorm or poison will wear Meloetta down rapidly, (AC) as it has no way outside of a Wish pass to regain its health. Therefore, avoid switching in too many times on Stealth Rock entry hazards. as it will wear Meloetta down.

Team Options
========

When it comes down to team support, a good Dark-type check is almost mandatory. Terrakion laughs at Dark-types thanks to its ability Justified, giving it an Attack boost every time it takes a hit from a Dark-type attack, and
then it can hit retaliate back with STAB +1 (Unnecessary, as Terrak can still threaten Dark-types with a +0 CC) Close Combat. Keldeo can also work as it also really likes enjoys weakened walls that it can break past with ease. Fairy-types such as Azumarill, Mega Mawile, or Clefable can also work as Dark-type checks. Meloetta really likes Entry entry hazard support too. Skarmory can lay down Stealth Rock and check most Dark-types due to its good physical bulk. Spikes are also very important as they can provide 2HKOs on Pokemon like such as Chansey and Umbreon and even turn some 2HKOs into OHKOs. Deoxys-D, Skarmory, and Ferrothorn can all lay down both Spikes and Stealth Rock while keeping them on the field with ease thanks to their good natural bulk. Pivots such as Mega Scizor, Landorus-T, and Rotom-W are all Pokemon that can all scout the opposing team and get a safe switch-in for Meloetta, while also helping you regain any lost momentum. Pokemons Sweepers in general pair really well with Meloetta as they can sweep clean through weakened teams. Sweepers Pokemon such as Calm Mind Keldeo, Mega Tyranitar, Bulk Up Talonflame, and Mega Pinsir are some examples of sweepers that can set up and finish off weakened teams.

Other Options
########

A set with Relic Song, Zen Headbutt, Shadow Ball, and Close Combat with a Naive nature and an EV spread of 48 Atk / 252 SpA / 208 Spe can be used if you would rather use Meloetta's alternative form, but it struggles to be really effective in the OU metagame. Life Orb gives Meloetta even more power than Assault Vest and lets Meloetta break through even the toughest walls such as Chansey
, (AC) and Umbreon, (AC) and Assault Vest users more easily, but there's no other use for that extra power. Leftovers can also be used over Assault Vest if your team has problems keeping entry hazards off your side of the field, but this will really reduce your special bulk and you'll now lose most one on ones against Pokemon such as (Insert Pokemon Meloetta would lose to if it didn't use Assault Vest here) one-on-one. Dazzling Gleam is an option if you want something that hits to hit both Dragon- and Dark-types for super effective damage, but swapping it out for Focus Blast leaves Meloetta really weak to the most important Dark-types, Bisharp and Tyranitar, as you can cannot OHKO them. (AP) , (RC) and it leaves Meloetta even weaker to Pursuit. A Calm Mind set can be used, (AC) but Meloetta has a hard time setting up and it's better to hit attack right off the bat. Grass Knot is an option to consider if you want to break past both Suicune and specially defensive Hippowdon, as it 2HKOes them both. Choice Specs hits even harder than Life Orb and together when combined with Trick, Meloetta can cripple something once it has no lost the need for the item anymore. Hidden Power Fire is another option if Meloetta needs a way of getting past Scizor, but Focus Blast is generally better as Meloetta can eventually wear it Scizor down. Thunder is an option over Thunderbolt if you're using a rain team, as it has greater power and a 60% paralysis chanse chance thanks to Serene Grace.

Checks & Counters
########

**Special Walls**
: (Add Colon) Special walls such as Chansey, Umbreon, and Clefable can switch in on Meloetta with ease. Chansey fears nothing from Meloetta, while Umbreon only fears Focus Blast after Stealth Rock. Clefable can switch in on Meloetta and start setting up Calm Mind while Meloetta can at best 3HKO Clefable back.

**Dark-types**
: (Add Colon) Drark-types Dark-types such as Bisharp and Tyranitar only fears fear Focus Blast, but if it misses, it's game over for Meloetta as they will outright OHKO it with their STAB attacks. Be careful, (AC) as Bisharp has access to both Sucker Punch and Pursuit, making it a mindgame about whether Meloetta can switch out or not.

**Steel-types**
: (Add Colon) Just like Dark-types, Steel-types only fear Focus Blast as they take very little damage from Meloetta's other attacks. Mega Scizor can force Meloetta out as long as it's above 60% health, otherwise Meloetta can 2HKO it with a combination of Shadow Ball and Focus Blast. Ferrothorn also really dislikes losing over 70% of its health from Focus Blast. (Is there any reason why that last sentence is there? If it dislikes losing health from Focus Blast, why is it in the Checks and Counters section? Either remove the last sentence or talk about how Ferrothorn can check or counter Meloetta.)
**Revenge Killers**: (Add Colon) Pokemon like Talonflame, Mega Scizor, Mega Mawile, and Bisharp can all finish off Meloetta with their strong physical priority attacks. Faster physical Pokemon like Garchomp, Mega Pinsir, and Terrakion all outspeed Meloetta and can finish it off with their strong STAB attacks.

Sorry it's split up like this, it adds in an extra hide tag that I'm unable to edit out for some reason.

Last edited:

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Ryuuki

REMOVE CHANGE COMMENTS

Overview
########

With a unique typing and
some nicely distributed stats, Meloetta once again finds itself once more in the OU metagame. Meloetta's Normal / Psychic typing and mediocre defense really hurts its viability in a metagame where Dark-types are a dominant force. However, it Meloetta can easily switch in on any Ghost-type and beats it thanks to its Ghost immunity. A base 90 Speed and no form of priority can really hurt Meloetta sometimes, as Flying-typ Flying-type priority is very common in the OU metagame now. But However, equip Meloetta with an Assault Vest, and you'll have a strong special attacker that can 2HKO or OHKO almost the entire metagame. (Assualt Vest doesn't actually affect Meloetta's damage output like you make it seem in this sentence. It might be better to mention how the bulk helps it tank attacks.) It can also beat strong special attackers such as Mega Charizard Y, Thundurus-I Thundurus, and Keldeo, or even Special special Aegislash in a one on one one-on-one situation, something that other special attackers can only dream about.

Assault Vest Attacker
########

Moves
========

it Meloetta stand out from other specially based Assault Vest users; it's not only a good STAB attack, but it also hits the opponents Defense stat instead of their Special Defense, making it a good move to use when Meloetta's trying to beat Pokemon like specially defensive Mega Venusaur (This should be specified, since because most are physically defensive now) to GP correctly you must first talk correctly!_! and other Assault Vest users. Hyper Voice is Meloetta's other STAB attack, (AC) and while it doesn't hit anything for super effective damage, Hyper Voice hits hard. It's also a sound move, meaning that it hits Pokemon behind Substitute, making Substitute a bad move to use for some Pokemon allowing it Meloetta to beat Substitute users such as (insert Substitute users Meloetta beats here). Focus Blast gives Meloetta a chance to beat Steel-types who which resist both of Meloetta's STAB attacks, but what is even more crucial is that it gives Meloetta a nice way of hitting the opposing Dark-types. Neither Tyranitar or Bisharp dare switch in on Meloetta as Focus Blast will outright OHKO them. Be aware that if it misses, they will OHKO Meloetta with their STAB attacks. Focus Blast also makes sure that Meloetta isn't setup bait for Ferrothorn or Heatran. Shadow Ball gives Meloetta the ability to beat Ghost-types who which can could otherwise switch in for free on Hyper Voice thanks to their immunity. It also allows Meloetta to beat almost every Aegislash set, a really very common Pokemon. Thanks to Serene Grace, Shadow Ball also has a nice 40% chance of lowering the opponent's Special Defense, making forcing them the opponent to either switch out or risk getting KOed during the next turn. Thunderbolt is another option if one would prefer Meloetta to handle bulky Flying-types such as Skarmory or Mandibuzz better than Ghost-types. Thunderbolt also has the benefit of chance to paralyzing paralyze the opponent, probably most likely crippling them for the rest of the match. U-turn is another nice option to both scout out potential checks and grab offensive momentum.
Set Details
========

Assault Vest is the crucial item for Meloetta's bread and butter set. Without any form of recovery outside of Leftovers, Assault Vest
becomes the better best option. While equipped, Meloetta is extremely bulky on the special side, only having a 30% chance of getting 2HKOed by Mega Charizard Y's Fire Blast in the sun and only getting 3HKOed by Modest Landorus-I's Earth Power, which isn't something many other offensive Pokemon can brag about. The EV spread is a combination of offensive power and bulk. Maximum Special Sttack Attack investment and a Modest nature make sure Meloetta can 2HKO or OHKO most of the metagame. 112 Speed EVs are used in order to outspeed and OHKO Jolly Mega Tyranitar and Adamant Bisharp with Focus Blast. Bisharp still has Sucker Punch, however, which means meaning it really comes down to a mindgame between Sucker Punch and Knock Off. 136 HP EVs gives Meloetta a good extra bulk and a good Stealth Rock number, making sure that Meloetta can switch in as many times as possible, while also reducing damage from poison and burn. The last eight EVs are put into Special Defense in order to boost Meloetta's special bulk even further.
Usage Tips
========

Meloetta's sky-high Special Defense enables it to shrug off any weak special attack, which gives it plenty of switch-in opportunities. Meloetta is also able to beat almost any special attacker in the tier in a
one on one one-on-one situation fight. Avoid Try to avoid getting caught by Dark-types, (AC) as they will outright OHKO Meloetta if its it misses just remove "its"; keep it as "Focus Blast misses" Focus Blast misses. They can also catch a fleeing Meloetta with Pursuit if you predict incorrectly. Any Aegislash that lacks Iron Head is a free switch-in for Meloetta, as it cannot beat Meloetta without it. However, Meloetta should also watch out for the SubToxic set from Aegislash, as it can Toxic stall Meloetta until it faints with the combination of King's Shield and Substitute. Entry hazards and passive damage such as sandstorm or poison will wear Meloetta down rapidly, (AC) as it has no way outside of a Wish pass to regain its health. Therefore, avoid switching in too many times on Stealth Rock entry hazards. as it will wear Meloetta down.

Team Options
========

When it comes down to team support, a good Dark-type check is almost mandatory. Terrakion laughs at Dark-types thanks to its ability Justified, giving it an Attack boost every time it takes a hit from a Dark-type attack, and
then it can hit retaliate back with STAB +1 (Unnecessary, as Terrak can still threaten Dark-types with a +0 CC) Close Combat. Keldeo can also work as it also really likes enjoys weakened walls that it can break past with ease. Fairy-types such as Azumarill, Mega Mawile, or Clefable can also work as Dark-type checks. Meloetta really likes Entry entry hazard support too. Skarmory can lay down Stealth Rock and check most Dark-types due to its good physical bulk. Spikes are also very important as they can provide 2HKOs on Pokemon like such as Chansey and Umbreon and even turn some 2HKOs into OHKOs. such as Deoxys-D, Skarmory, and Ferrothorn can all lay down both Spikes and Stealth Rock while keeping them on the field with ease thanks to their good natural bulk. Pivots such as Mega Scizor, Landorus-T, and Rotom-W are all Pokemon that can all scout the opposing team and get a safe switch-in for Meloetta, while also helping you regain any lost momentum. Pokemons Sweepers in general pair really well with Meloetta as they can sweep clean through weakened teams. Sweepers Pokemon such as Calm Mind Keldeo, Mega Tyranitar, Bulk Up Talonflame, and Mega Pinsir are some examples of sweepers that can set up and finish off weakened teams.

Other Options
########

A set with Relic Song, Zen Headbutt, Shadow Ball, and Close Combat with a Naive nature and an EV spread of 48 Atk / 252 SpA / 208 Spe can be used if you would rather use Meloetta's alternative form, but it struggles to be really effective in the OU metagame. Life Orb gives Meloetta even more power than Assault Vest and lets Meloetta break through even the toughest walls such as Chansey
, (AC) and Umbreon, (AC) and Assault Vest users more easily, but there's no other use for that extra power There clearly is a use for that power. Mention that 1. Meloetta is best used as a tank and 2. There's better special attackers out there. The opportunity cost of meloetta is using its typing defensively and power offensively. Leftovers can also be used over Assault Vest if your team has problems keeping entry hazards off your side of the field, This makes no sense. Leftovers blocks rapid spin? but this will really reduce your Meloetta's special bulk and will you'll now lose most one on ones against Pokemon such as (Insert Pokemon Meloetta would lose to if it didn't use Assault Vest here) one-on-one. Dazzling Gleam is an option if you want something that hits to hit both Dragon- and Dark-types for super effective damage, but swapping it out for Focus Blast leaves Meloetta really weak to the most important Dark-types, Bisharp and Tyranitar, as you it can cannot OHKO them. (AP) , (RC) and it leaves Meloetta even weaker to Pursuit. A Calm Mind set can be used, (AC) but Meloetta has a hard time setting up and it's better to hit attack right off the bat. Grass Knot is an option to consider if you want to break past both Suicune and specially defensive Hippowdon, as it 2HKOes them both. Choice Specs hits even harder than Life Orb and together when combined with Trick, Meloetta can cripple something once it has no lost the don't implement this change; the original makes more sense need for the item anymore. Hidden Power Fire is another option if Meloetta needs a way of getting past Scizor, but Focus Blast is generally better as Meloetta can eventually wear it Scizor down. Thunder is an option over Thunderbolt if you're using a rain team, as it has greater power and a 60% paralysis chanse chance thanks to Serene Grace.

Checks & Counters
########

**Special Walls**
: (Add Colon) Special walls such as Chansey, Umbreon Sylveon, I've never heard of Umbreon in an analysis before this; I've not played in a while, but umbreon has been historically very bad. Imo Sylveon would be a better choice and Clefable can switch in on Meloetta with ease. Chansey fears nothing from Meloetta, while Umbreon only fears Focus Blast after Stealth Rock. Clefable can switch in on Meloetta and start setting up Calm Mind while Meloetta can at best 3HKO Clefable back.
**Dark-types**: (Add Colon) Drark-types Dark-types such as Bisharp and Tyranitar only fears fear Focus Blast, but if it misses, it's game over for Meloetta as they will outright OHKO it with their STAB attacks. Be careful, (AC) as Bisharp has access to both Sucker Punch and Pursuit, making it a mindgame about whether Meloetta can switch out or not.

**Steel-types**
: (Add Colon) Just like Dark-types, Steel-types only fear Focus Blast as they take very little damage from Meloetta's other attacks. Mega Scizor can force Meloetta out as long as it's above 60% health; (SC) either change this comma to a semicolon or say ", as otherwise" otherwise Meloetta can 2HKO it with a combination of Shadow Ball and Focus Blast. Ferrothorn also really dislikes losing over 70% of its health from Focus Blast. (Is there any reason why that last sentence is there? If it dislikes losing health from Focus Blast, why is it in the Checks and Counters section? Either remove the last sentence or talk about how Ferrothorn can check or counter Meloetta.) Yeah it's not a check
**Revenge Killers**: (Add Colon) Pokemon like Talonflame, Mega Scizor, Mega Mawile, and Bisharp can all finish off Meloetta with their strong physical priority attacks. Faster physical Pokemon like Garchomp, Mega Pinsir, and Terrakion all outspeed Meloetta and can finish it off with their strong STAB attacks.

2/2

You caught a lot here, LL! I'm stampin this

But if you want me to ever check something of yours again, you'll use a different comment color ;_;

oh god WOW these hide tags are annoying

Last edited by a moderator:
Ryuuki

REMOVE CHANGE COMMENTS

Overview
########

With a unique typing and
some nicely distributed stats, Meloetta once again finds itself once more in the OU metagame. Meloetta's Normal / Psychic typing and mediocre defense really hurts its viability in a metagame where Dark-types are a dominant force. However, it Meloetta can easily switch in on any Ghost-type and beats it thanks to its Ghost immunity. A base 90 Speed and no form of priority can really hurt Meloetta sometimes, as Flying-typ Flying-type priority is very common in the OU metagame now. But However, equip Meloetta with an Assault Vest, and you'll have a strong special attacker that can 2HKO or OHKO almost the entire metagame. (Assualt Vest doesn't actually affect Meloetta's damage output like you make it seem in this sentence. It might be better to mention how the bulk helps it tank attacks.) It can also beat strong special attackers such as Mega Charizard Y, Thundurus-I Thundurus, and Keldeo, or even Special special Aegislash in a one on one one-on-one situation, something that other special attackers can only dream about.

Assault Vest Attacker
########

Moves
========

it Meloetta stand out from other specially based Assault Vest users; it's not only a good STAB attack, but it also hits the opponents Defense stat instead of their Special Defense, making it a good move to use when Meloetta's trying to beat Pokemon like specially defensive Mega Venusaur (This should be specified, since because most are physically defensive now) to GP correctly you must first talk correctly!_! and other Assault Vest users. Hyper Voice is Meloetta's other STAB attack, (AC) and while it doesn't hit anything for super effective damage, Hyper Voice hits hard. It's also a sound move, meaning that it hits Pokemon behind Substitute, making Substitute a bad move to use for some Pokemon allowing it Meloetta to beat Substitute users such as (insert Substitute users Meloetta beats here). Focus Blast gives Meloetta a chance to beat Steel-types who which resist both of Meloetta's STAB attacks, but what is even more crucial is that it gives Meloetta a nice way of hitting the opposing Dark-types. Neither Tyranitar or Bisharp dare switch in on Meloetta as Focus Blast will outright OHKO them. Be aware that if it misses, they will OHKO Meloetta with their STAB attacks. Focus Blast also makes sure that Meloetta isn't setup bait for Ferrothorn or Heatran. Shadow Ball gives Meloetta the ability to beat Ghost-types who which can could otherwise switch in for free on Hyper Voice thanks to their immunity. It also allows Meloetta to beat almost every Aegislash set, a really very common Pokemon. Thanks to Serene Grace, Shadow Ball also has a nice 40% chance of lowering the opponent's Special Defense, making forcing them the opponent to either switch out or risk getting KOed during the next turn. Thunderbolt is another option if one would prefer Meloetta to handle bulky Flying-types such as Skarmory or Mandibuzz better than Ghost-types. Thunderbolt also has the benefit of chance to paralyzing paralyze the opponent, probably most likely crippling them for the rest of the match. U-turn is another nice option to both scout out potential checks and grab offensive momentum.
Set Details
========

Assault Vest is the crucial item for Meloetta's bread and butter set. Without any form of recovery outside of Leftovers, Assault Vest
becomes the better best option. While equipped, Meloetta is extremely bulky on the special side, only having a 30% chance of getting 2HKOed by Mega Charizard Y's Fire Blast in the sun and only getting 3HKOed by Modest Landorus-I's Earth Power, which isn't something many other offensive Pokemon can brag about. The EV spread is a combination of offensive power and bulk. Maximum Special Sttack Attack investment and a Modest nature make sure Meloetta can 2HKO or OHKO most of the metagame. 112 Speed EVs are used in order to outspeed and OHKO Jolly Mega Tyranitar and Adamant Bisharp with Focus Blast. Bisharp still has Sucker Punch, however, which means meaning it really comes down to a mindgame between Sucker Punch and Knock Off. 136 HP EVs gives Meloetta a good extra bulk and a good Stealth Rock number, making sure that Meloetta can switch in as many times as possible, while also reducing damage from poison and burn. The last eight EVs are put into Special Defense in order to boost Meloetta's special bulk even further.
Usage Tips
========

one on one one-on-one situation fight. Avoid Try to avoid getting caught by Dark-types, (AC) as they will outright OHKO Meloetta if its it misses just remove "its"; keep it as "Focus Blast misses" Focus Blast misses. They can also catch a fleeing Meloetta with Pursuit if you predict incorrectly. Any Aegislash that lacks Iron Head is a free switch-in for Meloetta, as it cannot beat Meloetta without it. However, Meloetta should also watch out for the SubToxic set from Aegislash, as it can Toxic stall Meloetta until it faints with the combination of King's Shield and Substitute. Entry hazards and passive damage such as sandstorm or poison will wear Meloetta down rapidly, (AC) as it has no way outside of a Wish pass to regain its health. Therefore, avoid switching in too many times on Stealth Rock entry hazards. as it will wear Meloetta down.

Team Options
========

then it can hit retaliate back with STAB +1 (Unnecessary, as Terrak can still threaten Dark-types with a +0 CC) Close Combat. Keldeo can also work as it also really likes enjoys weakened walls that it can break past with ease. Fairy-types such as Azumarill, Mega Mawile, or Clefable can also work as Dark-type checks. Meloetta really likes Entry entry hazard support too. Skarmory can lay down Stealth Rock and check most Dark-types due to its good physical bulk. Spikes are also very important as they can provide 2HKOs on Pokemon like such as Chansey and Umbreon and even turn some 2HKOs into OHKOs. such as Deoxys-D, Skarmory, and Ferrothorn can all lay down both Spikes and Stealth Rock while keeping them on the field with ease thanks to their good natural bulk. Pivots such as Mega Scizor, Landorus-T, and Rotom-W are all Pokemon that can all scout the opposing team and get a safe switch-in for Meloetta, while also helping you regain any lost momentum. Pokemons Sweepers in general pair really well with Meloetta as they can sweep clean through weakened teams. Sweepers Pokemon such as Calm Mind Keldeo, Mega Tyranitar, Bulk Up Talonflame, and Mega Pinsir are some examples of sweepers that can set up and finish off weakened teams.

Other Options
########

, (AC) and Umbreon, (AC) and Assault Vest users more easily, but there's no other use for that extra power There clearly is a use for that power. Mention that 1. Meloetta is best used as a tank and 2. There's better special attackers out there. The opportunity cost of meloetta is using its typing defensively and power offensively. Leftovers can also be used over Assault Vest if your team has problems keeping entry hazards off your side of the field, This makes no sense. Leftovers blocks rapid spin? but this will really reduce your Meloetta's special bulk and will you'll now lose most one on ones against Pokemon such as (Insert Pokemon Meloetta would lose to if it didn't use Assault Vest here) one-on-one. Dazzling Gleam is an option if you want something that hits to hit both Dragon- and Dark-types for super effective damage, but swapping it out for Focus Blast leaves Meloetta really weak to the most important Dark-types, Bisharp and Tyranitar, as you it can cannot OHKO them. (AP) , (RC) and it leaves Meloetta even weaker to Pursuit. A Calm Mind set can be used, (AC) but Meloetta has a hard time setting up and it's better to hit attack right off the bat. Grass Knot is an option to consider if you want to break past both Suicune and specially defensive Hippowdon, as it 2HKOes them both. Choice Specs hits even harder than Life Orb and together when combined with Trick, Meloetta can cripple something once it has no lost the don't implement this change; the original makes more sense need for the item anymore. Hidden Power Fire is another option if Meloetta needs a way of getting past Scizor, but Focus Blast is generally better as Meloetta can eventually wear it Scizor down. Thunder is an option over Thunderbolt if you're using a rain team, as it has greater power and a 60% paralysis chanse chance thanks to Serene Grace.

Checks & Counters
########

**Special Walls**
: (Add Colon) Special walls such as Chansey, Umbreon Sylveon, I've never heard of Umbreon in an analysis before this; I've not played in a while, but umbreon has been historically very bad. Imo Sylveon would be a better choice and Clefable can switch in on Meloetta with ease. Chansey fears nothing from Meloetta, while Umbreon only fears Focus Blast after Stealth Rock. Clefable can switch in on Meloetta and start setting up Calm Mind while Meloetta can at best 3HKO Clefable back.
**Dark-types**: (Add Colon) Drark-types Dark-types such as Bisharp and Tyranitar only fears fear Focus Blast, but if it misses, it's game over for Meloetta as they will outright OHKO it with their STAB attacks. Be careful, (AC) as Bisharp has access to both Sucker Punch and Pursuit, making it a mindgame about whether Meloetta can switch out or not.

**Steel-types**
: (Add Colon) Just like Dark-types, Steel-types only fear Focus Blast as they take very little damage from Meloetta's other attacks. Mega Scizor can force Meloetta out as long as it's above 60% health; (SC) either change this comma to a semicolon or say ", as otherwise" otherwise Meloetta can 2HKO it with a combination of Shadow Ball and Focus Blast. Ferrothorn also really dislikes losing over 70% of its health from Focus Blast. (Is there any reason why that last sentence is there? If it dislikes losing health from Focus Blast, why is it in the Checks and Counters section? Either remove the last sentence or talk about how Ferrothorn can check or counter Meloetta.) Yeah it's not a check

2/2

You caught a lot here, LL! I'm stampin this

But if you want me to ever check something of yours again, you'll use a different comment color ;_;

oh god WOW these hide tags are annoying
REALLY REALLY SORRY for the delay! I'm just going to say that it was really bad attitude from me.

Ok I should have implanted all of your changes, new sentences or replies are in bold. Also should I change umbreon to sylveon in the rest of the text so it makes more sence?
I also removed the mentioning of Deo-D.

GatoDelFuego

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
updating this

REMOVE CHANGE COMMENTS

Overview
########

With a unique typing and nicely distributed stats, Meloetta once again finds itself in the OU metagame. Meloetta's Normal / Psychic typing and mediocre defense really hurts its viability in a metagame where Dark-types are a dominant force. However, Meloetta can easily switch in on any Ghost-type and beats it thanks to its Ghost immunity. A base 90 Speed and no form of priority can really hurt Meloetta sometimes, as Flying-type priority is very common in the OU metagame. However equip Meloetta with an Assault Vest, and you'll have a strong special attacker that can also take strong special attacks. It can also beat strong special attackers such as Mega Charizard Y, Thundurus, and Keldeo, or even special Aegislash in a one-on-one situation, something that other special attackers can only dream about.

Assault Vest Attacker
########

Moves
========

Psyshock is something that makes Meloetta stand out from other specially based Assault Vest users; it's not only a good STAB attack, but it also hits the opponents Defense stat instead of their Special Defense, making it a good move to use when Meloetta's trying to beat Pokemon like specially defensive Mega Venusaur and other Assault Vest users. Physical defensive versions of Mega Venusaur cannot switch in on Psyshock but can beat you Meloetta if they get in unharmed. Hyper Voice is Meloetta's other STAB attack and while it doesn't hit anything for super effective damage, Hyper Voice hits hard. It's also a sound move, meaning that it hits Pokemon behind Substitute, allowing Meloetta to beat Substitute users such as Kyurem-B. Focus Blast gives Meloetta a chance to beat Steel-types who resist both of Meloetta's STAB attacks, but what is even more crucial is that it gives Meloetta a nice way of hitting the opposing Dark-types. Neither Tyranitar or Bisharp dare switch in on Meloetta as Focus Blast will outright OHKO them. Be aware that if it misses, they will OHKO Meloetta with their STAB attacks. Focus Blast also makes sure that Meloetta isn't setup bait for Ferrothorn or Heatran. Shadow Ball gives Meloetta the ability to beat Ghost-types which could otherwise switch in for free on Hyper Voice thanks to their immunity. It also allows Meloetta to beat almost every Aegislash set, a very common Pokemon. Thanks to Serene Grace, Shadow Ball also has a nice 40% chance of lowering the opponent's Special Defense, forcing the opponent to either switch out or risk getting KOed during the next turn. Thunderbolt is another option if one would prefer Meloetta to handle bulky Flying-types such as Skarmory or Mandibuzz better than Ghost-types. Thunderbolt also has the chance to paralyze the opponent, most likely crippling them for the rest of the match. U-turn is another nice option to both scout out potential checks and grab offensive momentum.

Set Details
========

Assault Vest is the crucial item for Meloetta's bread and butter set. Without any form of recovery outside of Leftovers, Assault Vest becomes the best option. While equipped, Meloetta is extremely bulky on the special side, only having a 30% chance of getting 2HKOed by Mega Charizard Y's Fire Blast in the sun and only getting 3HKOed by Modest Landorus's Earth Power, which isn't something many other offensive Pokemon can brag about. The EV spread is a combination of power and bulk. Maximum Special attack investment and a Modest nature make sure Meloetta can 2HKO or OHKO most of the metagame. 112 Speed EVs are used in order to outspeed and OHKO Jolly Mega Tyranitar and Adamant Bisharp with Focus Blast. Bisharp still has Sucker Punch, however meaning it comes down to a mindgame between Sucker Punch and Knock Off. 136 HP EVs gives Meloetta extra bulk and a Stealth Rock number, making sure that Meloetta can switch in as many times as possible, while also reducing damage from poison and burn. The last eight EVs are put into Special Defense in order to boost Meloetta's special bulk even further.

Usage Tips
========

Meloetta's sky-high Special Defense enables it to shrug off any weak special attack, which gives it plenty of switch-in opportunities. Meloetta is also able to beat almost any special attacker in the tier in a one-on-one situation. Try to avoid getting caught by Dark-types, as they will outright OHKO Meloetta if it misses Focus Blast. They can also catch a fleeing Meloetta with Pursuit if you predict incorrectly. Any Aegislash that lacks Iron Head is a free switch-in for Meloetta, as it cannot beat Meloetta without it. However, Meloetta should also watch out for SubToxic set Aegislash, as it can Toxic stall Meloetta until it faints with the combination of King's Shield and Substitute. Entry hazards and passive damage such as sandstorm or poison will wear Meloetta down rapidly, as it has no way outside of a Wish pass to regain its health. Therefore, avoid switching in too many times on entry hazards.

Team Options
========

When it comes down to team support, a good Dark-type check is almost mandatory. Terrakion laughs at Dark-types thanks to its ability Justified, giving it an Attack boost every time it takes a hit from a Dark-type attack, and can retaliate back with STAB Close Combat. Keldeo can also work as it also enjoys weakened walls that it can break past with ease. Fairy-types such as Azumarill, Mega Mawile, or Clefable can also work as Dark-type checks. Meloetta really likes entry hazard support too. Skarmory can lay down Stealth Rock and check Dark-types due to its good physical bulk. Spikes are also very important as they can provide 2HKOs on Pokemon such as Chansey and Umbreon and even turn 2HKOs into OHKOs. Skarmory and Ferrothorn can all lay down both Spikes and Stealth Rock while keeping them on the field with ease thanks to their good natural bulk. Pivots such as Mega Scizor, Landorus-T, and Rotom-W are all Pokemon that can all scout the opposing team and get a safe switch-in for Meloetta, while also helping you regain any lost momentum. Sweepers in general pair really well with Meloetta as they can clean through weakened teams. Pokemon such as Calm Mind Keldeo, Mega Tyranitar, Bulk Up Talonflame, and Mega Pinsir are some examples of sweepers that can set up and finish off weakened teams.

Other Options
########

A set with Relic Song, Zen Headbutt, Shadow Ball, and Close Combat with a Naive nature and an EV spread of 48 Atk / 252 SpA / 208 Spe can be used if you would rather use Meloetta's alternative form, but it struggles to be really effective in the OU metagame. Life Orb gives Meloetta even more power than Assault Vest and lets Meloetta break through even the toughest walls such as Chansey, Umbreon, and Assault Vest users more easily, but there's no other use for that extra power. The the best way to use Meloetta is as a strong hitting special tank, as there are better all-out special attackers then Meloetta. Leftovers can also be used over Assault Vest if your team has problems keeping entry hazards off your side of the field as the passive recovery will help Meloetta to switch in more often, but this will really reduce Meloetta's special bulk and will now lose most one on ones against Pokemons such as Mega Charizard-Y, Landorus, or Thundorus. Dazzling Gleam is an option if you want something to hit both Dragon- and Dark-types for super effective damage, but swapping it out for Focus Blast leaves Meloetta really weak to the most important Dark-types, Bisharp and Tyranitar, as it can cannot OHKO them. A Calm Mind set can be used, but Meloetta has a hard time setting up and it's better to attack right off the bat. Grass Knot is an option to consider if you want to break past both Suicune and specially defensive Hippowdon, as it 2HKOes them both. Choice Specs hits even harder than Life Orb and when combined with Trick, Meloetta can cripple something once it has lost the need for the item anymore. Hidden Power Fire is another option if Meloetta needs a way of getting past Scizor, but Focus Blast is generally better as Meloetta can eventually wear it down. Thunder is an option over Thunderbolt if you're using a rain team, as it has greater power and a 60% paralysis chance thanks to Serene Grace.

Checks & Counters
########

**Special Walls**: Special walls such as Chansey, Sylveon, and Clefable can switch in on Meloetta with ease. Chansey fears nothing from Meloetta, while Umbreon only fears Focus Blast after Stealth Rock. Clefable can switch in on Meloetta and start setting up Calm Mind while Meloetta can at best 3HKO Clefable back.

**Dark-types**: Dark-types such as Bisharp and Tyranitar only fear Focus Blast, but if it misses, it's game over for Meloetta as they will outright OHKO it with their STAB attacks. Be careful, as Bisharp has access to both Sucker Punch and Pursuit, making it a mindgame about whether Meloetta can switch out or not.

**Steel-types**: Just like Dark-types, Steel-types only fear Focus Blast as they take very little damage from Meloetta's other attacks. Mega Scizor can force Meloetta out as long as it's above 60% health, as otherwise Meloetta can 2HKO it with a combination of Shadow Ball and Focus Blast. Focus Blast also helps Meloetta to scare away Ferrothorn whom which otherwise just uses Meloetta to stack entry hazards.

**Revenge Killers**: Pokemon like Talonflame, Mega Scizor, Mega Mawile, and Bisharp can all finish off Meloetta with their strong physical priority attacks. Faster physical Pokemon like Garchomp, Mega Pinsir, and Terrakion all outspeed Meloetta and can finish it off with their strong STAB attacks.
Replace Umbreon, sure, Sylveon would be a much more common and thus better example.

GatoDelFuego

"while Sylveon only fears Psyshock if it don't doesn't run any defense EVs. Clefable can switch in on Meloetta and start setting up Calm Mind while Meloetta can at best 3HKO Clefable back."

Looks good

"while Sylveon only fears Psyshock if it don't doesn't run any defense EVs. Clefable can switch in on Meloetta and start setting up Calm Mind while Meloetta can at best 3HKO Clefable back."

Looks good
that should be everything, also Meloetta cannot break past sylveon if it runs defense EVs: 252+ SpA Meloetta Psyshock vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Sylveon: 147-174 (37.3 - 44.1%) -- 100% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery, but it's better phrased this time ^^

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)