Pokémon Meowstic

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryan

Jojo Siwa enthusiast
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Even with its base 105 Speed, I don't see Meowstic becoming notable even in NU. It really seems like a bottom-of-the-barrel Psychic-type like Gothitelle pre-Shadow Tag release or Chimecho or whatever. The only real niche I could have seen it play in BW NU would have been Prankster dual screens or weather starter, and even then, I would have rather used something with U-turn, Memento, Baton Pass, or Healing Wish to pass off to a sweeper without having to hard switch. It might find some niche for itself in XY, but looking over its movepool, I have doubts. Also agreeing that the male would be better suited for a SubCM set because of Prankster.

Espurr gets Yawn as an egg move. Mean Look + Yawn gives a team mate a turn to set up, if Meostic can survive 3 turns that is. I'll test for Slack Off once Slakoth or Monferno are released. With trapping, sleep and recovery, male Meowstic could have a real niche.

Last edited:
Sorry if this is an obvious question, but what sort of nature would you suggest with that Male Sub CM set?

Actually, I have noticed that Meowstic has an interesting use in Doubles teams. Meowstic is the only pokemon able to block Fake Out (with the help of Prankster and Quick Guard), and also has Helping Hand and other fun tricks. It would be interesting to see it in VGC formats in a support role.

Last edited:
Has anyone tried to breed recover into this?

With prankster, you get priority Calm mind and would get priority recover. It would actually be somewhat cool to have something like that.

Even with what it has, it seems to be one of the best dual screeners. Its a shame that its BST is so low, marginally higher than like the bug/flying clones.

Just tested and it doesn't get Recover (Corsola -> Wooper -> Espurr). Gonna try Wish/Baton Pass/Babydoll Eyes (Togetic -> Pikachu -> Sylveon -> Espurr) and Moonlight (Munna).

e: Doesn't get Moonlight either.

Last edited:
Whats a fun moveset to play around with on male meowstic in singles?
Meowstic (male) @ Leftovers/ Chesto Berry
252HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD Bold
Prankster
Mean Look
Yawn
Reflect / Rest
Psyshock / Rain Dance / Light Screen

Mean Look + Yawn gives your teammates a free turn to set up. Great for Belly Drum Azumarril or Swords Dance Talonflame.

Last edited:
I use the following in singles:

Leftovers
Torment
Charm
Thunder Wave
Psychic

Priority Charm can be quite effective if the opponent is physical. Torment prevents the user from using the best move twice in a row. TW with priority is just awesome, and psychic is a given. Sure, this is a tad gimmick, but can force switches easily (great if you got hazards) and create set up opportunities for your other pokemon.

Come to think of it, Eject button would work great with priority Yawn for giving free turns to allies.
I use the following in singles:

Leftovers
Torment
Charm
Thunder Wave
Psychic

Priority Charm can be quite effective if the opponent is physical. Torment prevents the user from using the best move twice in a row. TW with priority is just awesome, and psychic is a given. Sure, this is a tad gimmick, but can force switches easily (great if you got hazards) and create set up opportunities for your other pokemon.
May as well use Reflect in case Meowstic itself is forced out.

Competitive (Female): Boosts the Sp. Atk stat when a stat is lowered.

Any way to make this reliable? If so, female Meowstic has a very good special attack stat to work with and not-terrible inherent bulk.
It is so and so in Singles but it is fair in order to punish the Intimidate Hitmontops that are ever so common in Doubles and VGC. She also can launch a fast Fake Out that outprioritizes the inevitable Sucker Punch and their own Fake Out.

Is priority Charm at all relevant? Say if you've thrown up Reflect and taken half your HP through it, you can use it instead of just switching and make your next switch-in safer or something...

I'm not saying it's the optimal choice =p but Charm can lower the damage dealt more than Reflect would.
And it's priority is relevant, since it's garanteed to drop the target's attack before he lands a hit.

Again, I'm not saying Charm is the way to go, but he did ask for a fun build, and I've had my fair share of fun with this.

Even with its base 105 Speed, I don't see Meowstic becoming notable even in NU. It really seems like a bottom-of-the-barrel Psychic-type like Gothitelle pre-Shadow Tag release or Chimecho or whatever. The only real niche I could have seen it play in BW NU would have been Prankster dual screens or weather starter, and even then, I would have rather used something with U-turn, Memento, Baton Pass, or Healing Wish to pass off to a sweeper without having to hard switch. It might find some niche for itself in XY, but looking over its movepool, I have doubts. Also agreeing that the male would be better suited for a SubCM set because of Prankster.
I can't see Meowstic in NU, I've had quite a bit of success with him, makes a decent scarfed revenge killer for instance.

He's definitely not OU by any means, but I'd consider him for RU/UU.

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
Just pointing out that Murkrow in NU used FeatherDance which is... well basically a Charm with Prankster for a while. I can only remember he used T-Wave too since the set kinda fell out of fashion as of late but back when the metagame was kinder to it it was a pretty killer set.

Honestly I still can't see Meowstic-Male having much of a niche due to basically what I just said - Murkrow. It has all the support options of Meowstic-Male and more, but it has decent defensive typing and tools like Foul Play, Pursuit and it is generally stronger. The only thing I can see this Pokemon having an actual niche with would be... idk. The prankster Sub+CM works and it will be unlikely for it to not outspeed something with a Choice Scarf unless it's like Speed Boost Scolipede so it has some merit as a revenger, but it will probably be too weak to do anything with that speed. I am going to say that the only thing Meowstic can do is be a female and then go all-out Choice Specs.

Meowstic does get screens though. Being able to set those up with priority means that a bit of prediction gives it surprisingly high bulk as a dual screener. Plus, different typing can sometimes be important, maybe your team doesn't want a dark/flying for some reason

I saw a Meowstic replay (and used one myself but I'd rather point to other evidence) for doubles that used Charm...it requires better prediction than Reflect though, and a team that takes advantage of the resulting switching. Main problem with Reflect/Lightscreen/Quick Guard/Fake Out is that it's useless once screens are set up unless the opponent runs priority...I've been running Charm/Light Screen/Psychic/<support/status move> and having my other lead with Fake Out instead, which seems to be doing alright (Meowstic is quite fast and tends to outspeed other invested pokemon). The status move can vary with team, amusingly I have trouble with choice item users so I've been slapping Torment in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)