Metagame Metagame Discussion Thread v3

Status
Not open for further replies.
>Argues Megagross's clear superiority over Kartana is grounds for a ban when Kartana isn't that good of a mon
>Argues using Mega Scizor is moot because then you can't use Megagross.
>Randomly brings up Rotom-W I suppose as a check but doesn't even mention WoW.
>says Bronzong is absent from the meta when it has a niche specifically for checking Megagross.
>Asks why would you stay in against Garchomp and Lando when Megagross has Ice Punch and outspeeds/KOs both of them.
>Says Zygarde isn't in the meta

Ok dude.

It may just be me, but I haven't seen stall near as much recently. I think the rise of various stall breaker sets (Heatran, Fini, Lele, etc) have actually done their job and diminished the influence of stall rn.
Agreed... I mean all of the stallbreakers have made stall teams go away, unless they are somewhat offensive. Completely Passive sets like Chansey (Seismic toss 4HKOs, so no) don't really stand a chance against Heatran, Lele and Fini and Expecially Megacham High Jump Kick. (Not really stall breaking, but OHKOing everything stall, including chansey and blissey) 252+ Atk Pure Power Medicham-Mega High Jump Kick vs. 4 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 1028-1212 (160.1 - 188.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Agreed... I mean all of the stallbreakers have made stall teams go away, unless they are somewhat offensive. Completely Passive sets like Chansey (Seismic toss 4HKOs, so no) don't really stand a chance against Heatran, Lele and Fini and Expecially Megacham High Jump Kick. (Not really stall breaking, but OHKOing everything stall, including chansey and blissey) 252+ Atk Pure Power Medicham-Mega High Jump Kick vs. 4 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 1028-1212 (160.1 - 188.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Yeah once Mega-Sab is gone, Mega-Medi eviscerates most stall cores because it can just HJK for days. Haven't been laddering much lately, is Lele primarily being used for stallbreaking these days?

are there any viable stall teams apart from the standard (mega sab/clef/skarm/chans/dug/tox). don't think i've seen one in SM.

are there any viable stall teams apart from the standard (mega sab/clef/skarm/chans/dug/tox). don't think i've seen one in SM.
There's the Ciele stall team that is Skarmory / Clefable / Zapdos / Alomomola / Dugtrio / Chansey. Replay of this team here in tiebreakers for SPL Finals. There's the NJNP stall team, Dugtrio / Sableye / Tangrowth / Skarmory / Toxapex / Volcarona. And if you ask p2, he'll advocate for Kartana stall (Kartana / Heatran / Chansey / Sableye / Zapdos / Alomomola).

Basically there's a number of good variations of stall out there, you just need to be a little creative to come up with something that works.

There's the Ciele stall team that is Skarmory / Clefable / Zapdos / Alomomola / Dugtrio / Chansey. Replay of this team here in tiebreakers for SPL Finals. There's the Ben Gay stall team, Dugtrio / Sableye / Tangrowth / Skarmory / Toxapex / Volcarona. And if you ask p2, he'll advocate to Kartana stall (Kartana / Heatran / Chansey / Sableye / Zapdos / Alomomola).

Basically there's a number of good variations of stall out there, you just need to be a little creative to come up with something that works.
its actually njnp stall not ben gay stall

Subject 18 Edit: I'm aware of this now...

Last edited by a moderator:
There's the Ciele stall team that is Skarmory / Clefable / Zapdos / Alomomola / Dugtrio / Chansey. Replay of this team here in tiebreakers for SPL Finals. There's the NJNP stall team, Dugtrio / Sableye / Tangrowth / Skarmory / Toxapex / Volcarona. And if you ask p2, he'll advocate for Kartana stall (Kartana / Heatran / Chansey / Sableye / Zapdos / Alomomola).

Wait, Kartana? As in the SD Fight-Z set or something else?

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned deucer.
It's Liek the best offensive defogger, maybe? Idk I've debated using it but no taunt/choice scarf looked bad(it could beat greninja, Chansey, ferrothorn, exadrill,heatran) but idk

Mega meta has always been feel as hell on my shed teams but I can see the cores it's part of with the tapus and greninja/lando being a never ending hell of pumped up bulky offense. It might be good to drop for now but once some megas come it might help bring balance

Idk I really just hope the meta stays pretty open ended, it's cool to see rise and falls in TR, sticky web, rain and stall

Leo

after hours
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
MPL Champion
Shed Stall isn't good rn imo. Getting hazards vs Stall is way easier this gen than last gen, with stuff like Spikes Gren SD Lando Rocks Tran SD Marowak or even rocks Mawile (lol). Most offensive teams usually carry at least one of these making it almost impossible to prevent Shed from dying.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned deucer.
Shed was good at the start of the gen before the duggy test but it's a working archetype(aka bad)

But aren't the other 2 powerhouse megas mawile/cham a lot like mega meta in terms of coverage but they hit harder at cost of speed/bulk?

100 vs 110 speed is an important jump tho

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
The issue with Shedinja stall is that it hinges itself upon a Pokemon that is vulnerable to so much and then the preservation of it, which arguably distracts the team from normal progression in the game. Additionally, this gives the opponent ample opportunity to break through as there's one less defensively synergetic member/the aforementioned stress on Shedninja, almost defeating the purpose of using this stall over normal stall simply due to the degree it finds its effectiveness compromised.

I personally would only use the standard stall with Toxapex, Chansey, Skarmory, Mega-Sableye, Clefable, and Dugtrio or some variant of the double defog stall with Alomomola, Chansey, Skarmory, Dugtrio, Zapdos, and Clefable that is a bit more accustom to the release of Mega-Medicham. However, it is entirely possible that you can create or find other consistently effective variants of stall if you try hard enough!

Last edited:

Gary

Can be abrasive at times (no joke)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Banded set is very hard to switch into, and it provides valuable support for teams for its Pursuit trapping abilities, which isn't seen too much at the moment outside of itself and Alolan Muk. It's able to heavily pressure defensive cores as well as punish Specs Gengar and Lele from freely spamming their Ghost and Psychic STABs respectively. It's also a solid check to most Volcarona sets running around, as well as Zapdos and bulky Psychic-types such as Reuniclus and Mew to an extent (has to be wary of Wisp) which have all been on the rise recently because of Medicham.

Mega Metagross is officially rip. Now what?

Personally I've been fairly successful with Lele/Mega Zam offense since there's one less bulky (and omnipresent) bulky resist in the tier.

SPL and Pink mons' stall have been running around a lot, as have baton pass variants, sticky web offense, and trick room. So we're in for a lot of "fun, skillful" games on the ladder.

Last edited:
I figure Mega Scizor is gonna drop a lot in usage and viability.

It's still a good Defogger, but the rise of Zapdos/Lele/etc. mean that it gets bopped by Fire-coverage mons more frequently, and SD sets are bad in this day and age.

What do you think of Greninja's future now that Metagross Mega is gone? (I'm specifically talking about Protean Greninja). Specifically, does it get better or worse, and if it does get better, is it overcentralizing? Ash-Greninja got worse because that's one less threat it can revenge kill.

Last edited:
Definitely goes up in usage/viability. BandTar and Alolan Muk will likely see increased usage to exploit Choiced Lele as a result too.
I think there are more answers to this, am I wrong? Celesteela, Heatran, Jirachi, Ferrothorn, for a Mega Scizor extension, Mega Mawile ... Any chance that it will become a definitive (and restrictive) key in the metagame (more than it already was)?

Ropalme1914

Ace Poker Player
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
What do you guys think about Mega Beedrill right now? Pheromosa was a mon that outclassed her but was banned some time agor, Mega Metagross being banned both removed a Mon that was a bad matchuopfor him and a competition for the mega slot, the rise of Tangrowth and Mew recently helped her a lot, but there's still Lando and Celesteela on the tier, and Volcarona being better every day hurts her. While I don't think it will be OU, she might get at least a little more use after all the time from when he was released.

I think there are more answers to this, am I wrong? Celesteela, Heatran, Jirachi, Ferrothorn, for a Mega Scizor extension, Mega Mawile ... Any chance that it will become a definitive (and restrictive) key in the metagame (more than it already was)?
Specs Lele still hurts a lot. Heatran gets obliterated by Focus Blast, and Fully SpDef Celesteela and Jirachi take 38% minimum from HP Fire (3HKO in both cases). Mega Mawile and Ferrothorn take huge damage or drop dead from HP Fire too.

Specs Lele still hurts a lot. Heatran gets obliterated by Focus Blast, and Fully SpDef Celesteela and Jirachi take 38% minimum from HP Fire (3HKO in both cases). Mega Mawile and Ferrothorn take huge damage or drop dead from HP Fire too.
So where is the reliable answers? Just Ttar and Muk-A?

Genuinely interested what's gonna be of the Tapus now that their N°1 check and abuser is gone. M-Scizor & Mawile are still jeopardized by Lele, Excadrill has issues getting past Lando-T (which does not seems to be giving up his "50% usage award" anytime soon), Celesteela & Magearna need to be defensive/AV to threathen them and...A-Muk is still a thing I guess?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)