Project Metagame Workshop (OM Submissions CLOSED)

Status
Not open for further replies.
It sounds very interesting! It sounds like the better version of trademarked, but how regenerator works? You can switch and use a move in the same time? It would be too strong imo. Amoongus can switch and use spore. Then you put your setupper and gg.
And another question: is this an uber or ou metagame? And how arena trap, magnet pull, shadow tag works?
So what I meant by abilities that trigger is that if you were playing a real Pokemon game (I don't remember how it works in Showdown) it says on the side "(Pokemon)'s (ability)" (replace Pokemon with the name of the pokemon and ability with its ability) to indicate that it activated. I don't think Regenerator, Arena Trap and other trapping abilities do this, but that's just me. If trapping moves did do this, that could be a cool way to pursuit trap them, but again it might not work like that.

EDIT: Can someone test if it does do that in-game?

Last edited:
Banned Moves as 1st slot: WIP

Banned Moves in general: All Switching moves except Teleport,

Potential Threats:
Weather/Terrain-starting moves, other moves that activate upon entry like Intimidate,
I think you should either ban switching moves only in the first slot or ban insta-activate abilities instead. You're definitely right that something needs to be done to prevent switching moves from creating a near-infinite loop (lasts until PP runs out) but completely axing switching moves feels like the wrong way to go about it.

Mossy Sandwich

Gunning for the top
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
UUPL Champion
Triggered

Basically all abilities that trigger due to certain circumstances will cause the Pokemon to use it's first move in its moveset instead of the ability's effects.

All moves that are always active like Huge Power will just do their normal thing (in this case doubling the Attack stat)

Example: Let's say my Lucario with Justified gets hit with a dark-type move. This normally would trigger the ability and raise Lucario's attack. However in this metagame, it will instead cause Lucario to immediately use the first move in its moveset. Let's say Lucario's first move was Nasty Plot. This would effectively turn Justified into a special-attack raising version but with double the effect. This is just an example, I don't think this would be very effective.

This can make weather or terrain-starting mons like Pelipper or Rillaboom quite effective. Send out Rillaboom, it immediately uses Swords Dance, effectively giving it Huge Power. Coupled with its high Attack Stat, this could make a very strong threat.

Banned Abilities: Abilities that trigger every turn (Speed Boost, ), Stance Change (Therefore Aegislash is banned), Ice Face (Therefore Eiscue), Disguise (Therefore Mimikyu)

Potential Threats:
Weather/Terrain-starting moves, other moves that activate upon entry like Intimidate, Magic Bounce, Stat-boosting moves.

Potential questions:

Does it consume PP when the Pokemon uses its move through the ability?

Yes.

I think that X should be banned.
That's not a question. Also feel free to say what moves should be banned.

What about Choice Items and Assault Vest?
If a move is used through an ability and the Pokemon hasn't used a move yet, Choice Items will cause it to lock into the move it just used. If it activates again after it moved already, then it either uses the move it was locked into or the first move in the moveset. I don't care, either would be interesting. The same goes for Gorilla Tactics.

For Assault Vest, it works as normal, but the move fails if the first move is a Status move.

EDIT: Can you still use the move in the 1st slot?
Yes! You can use it as much as you want (assuming it still has PP, that is).

EDIT: Does the ability still cause the normal effect?
No. If you were paying attention then you would've noticed that it takes effect instead of the ability's normal effect.
Libero/Protean sounds broken. Here's how it seems like it would go.

- Cinderace uses U-turn.
- Libero activates but it makes Cinderace use its first move (High Jump Kick) instead.
- Cinderace uses High Jump Kick.
- Libero activates again making cinderace use High Jump Kick again.
- Cinderace uses High Jump Kick again.
- Libero activates over and over since Cinderace doesn't change type

Libero/Protean sounds broken. Here's how it seems like it would go.

- Cinderace uses U-turn.
- Libero activates but it makes Cinderace use its first move (High Jump Kick) instead.
- Cinderace uses High Jump Kick.
- Libero activates again making cinderace use High Jump Kick again.
- Cinderace uses High Jump Kick again.
- Libero activates over and over since Cinderace doesn't change type
You had me until the part where Cinderace used HJK nonstop. It would only use it once since after using it, it would become Fighting-Type, and Libero wouldn't activate again. Libero only activates if the subject wasn't the type of move it was using.

It should still be banned because of how easily it can be used to amplify attacking power.

EDIT: not that it matters anyway considering Cinderace is banned from OU.

I think you should either ban switching moves only in the first slot or ban insta-activate abilities instead. You're definitely right that something needs to be done to prevent switching moves from creating a near-infinite loop (lasts until PP runs out) but completely axing switching moves feels like the wrong way to go about it.
OK sure. I was thinking if you use it and switch into a mon with an instant activate ability and an attack, its kinda busted cus in one turn its basically a very powerful 2 hit attack that pivots the user, but having it in the first slot would be busted because until the pp runs out, it's an infinite loop on the first turn that does infinite damage. They're still kinda OP in the first place with an instant activate ability. Baton Pass is banned in OU so I banned it here. Teleport I feel is fine because it's just an eject button with special requirements.

Mossy Sandwich

Gunning for the top
UUPL Champion
You had me until the part where Cinderace used HJK nonstop. It would only use it once since after using it, it would become Fighting-Type, and Libero wouldn't activate again. Libero only activates if the subject wasn't the type of move it was using.

It should still be banned because of how easily it can be used to amplify attacking power.

Actually, the ability is replaced by the use of the first move. This means that libero will not change the type and since hjk is a different type than cinderace, it'll keep using it forever. Also even if cinderace is banned, you can do the loop with raboot.

Also all the Protean mons aren't in Galar

OK sure. I was thinking if you use it and switch into a mon with an instant activate ability and an attack, its kinda busted cus in one turn its basically a very powerful 2 hit attack that pivots the user, but having it in the first slot would be busted because until the pp runs out, it's an infinite loop on the first turn that does infinite damage. They're still kinda OP in the first place with an instant activate ability. Baton Pass is banned in OU so I banned it here. Teleport I feel is fine because it's just an eject button with special requirements.
Yeah, Teleport + instant ability doesn't actually accomplish much since it doesn't do anything to the opponent. Though Parting Shot is problematic, as even though it deals no damage, with two of them you can easily lower your opponent to -6 and then set up on them for free.

I wouldn't worry about two attacks in one turn. That's going to happen anyway in this meta.

how would illusion be handled? would it activate the turn zoroark switches in or the turn the illusion is over?

Triggered

Basically all abilities that trigger due to certain circumstances will cause the Pokemon to use it's first move in its moveset instead of the ability's effects.

All moves that are always active like Huge Power will just do their normal thing (in this case doubling the Attack stat)

Example: Let's say my Lucario with Justified gets hit with a dark-type move. This normally would trigger the ability and raise Lucario's attack. However in this metagame, it will instead cause Lucario to immediately use the first move in its moveset. Let's say Lucario's first move was Nasty Plot. This would effectively turn Justified into a special-attack raising version but with double the effect. This is just an example, I don't think this would be very effective.

This can make weather or terrain-starting mons like Pelipper or Rillaboom quite effective. Send out Rillaboom, it immediately uses Swords Dance, effectively giving it Huge Power. Coupled with its high Attack Stat, this could make a very strong threat.

Banned Abilities: Abilities that trigger every turn (Speed Boost, ), Stance Change (Therefore Aegislash is banned), Ice Face (Therefore Eiscue), Disguise (Therefore Mimikyu), Libero (There aren't any Protean mons in Sword/Shield)

Potential Threats:
Weather/Terrain-starting moves, other moves that activate upon entry like Intimidate, Magic Bounce, Stat-boosting moves.

Potential questions:

Yes.

If a move is used through an ability and the Pokemon hasn't used a move yet, Choice Items will cause it to lock into the move it just used. If it activates again after it moved already, then it either uses the move it was locked into or the first move in the moveset. I don't care, either would be interesting. The same goes for Gorilla Tactics.

For Assault Vest, it works as normal, but the move fails if the first move is a Status move.

No. If you were paying attention then you would've noticed that it takes effect instead of the ability's normal effect.
If an ability continually exerts its effect but is announced when the Pokemon enters play (e.g. Pressure, Mold Breaker), does the move in the first slot trigger?

Also, what happens when the ability triggers but the move in the first slot is out of PP?

Mossy Sandwich

Gunning for the top
UUPL Champion
If an ability continually exerts its effect but is announced when the Pokemon enters play (e.g. Pressure, Mold Breaker), does the move in the first slot trigger?
If I understand correctly, it's only when the ability "triggers" so it would only activate when the pokemon enters because it's when the ability is triggered and the name shows up. If the ability activates and the move is out of PP, I'm assuming the move will simply fail.

Also I thought of some sets.

:sm/drampa:
Drampa @ Life Orb
Ability: Berserk
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Roost
- Hyper Voice
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast

Basically you heal up everytime you go under 50% health.

:sm/golisopod:
Golisopod @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Emergency Exit
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Leech Life
- Swords Dance
- Aqua Jet
- Close Combat

You also use leech life to heal whenever you go under 50%

:sm/durant:
Durant @ Life Orb
Ability: Truant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Endeavor
- Iron Head
- First Impression
- Shadow Claw

Lower your opponent's health before you attack every other turn.

:sm/skarmory:
Skarmory @ Leftovers
Ability: Weak Armor
EVs: 252 HP / 232 Def / 24 Spe
Impish Nature
- Spikes
- Stealth Rock
- Roost
- Body Press

1 layer of spikes every time you get hit (Anti-spin)

:sm/exeggutor-alola:
Exeggutor-Alola @ Life Orb
Ability: Frisk
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Sleep Powder/Trick room
- Draco Meteor
- Leaf Storm
- Flamethrower

Come in and sleep your opponent/Set up trick room.

:sm/Krookodile:
Krookodile @ Leftovers
Ability: Moxie
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Earthquake

Set up a sub everytime you get a kill letting you get your next kill more easily.

Last edited:
Triggered

Banned Abilities: Abilities that trigger every turn (Speed Boost, ), Stance Change (Therefore Aegislash is banned), Ice Face (Therefore Eiscue), Disguise (Therefore Mimikyu), Libero (There aren't any Protean mons in Sword/Shield)

Potential Threats:

Potential questions:

Yes.

This is a cool Idea in concept, but in practice, I think it falls apart for 2 main reasons.

Firstly, is the problem of abilities that proc when switching in, which is the entire gimmick of Trademarked. Allowing this is just gonna make the meta "Trademarked Lite", but with a much more limiting list of mons at one's disposal.

Secondly, if you ban all abilities that proc on switching in, then the meta's gimmick becomes reactive rather than proactive, the opponent needs to use a sound move so your Kommo-o can Soulblaze on it, they need to use a ground-type move so Rotom can defog on the switch in, they need to use a physical move to proc your Corsola-Galar's Strength sap, etc. And if you guess wrong, then you're just playing OU, and that defeats the entire point of it being an OM. On top of this the abilities that are reactive are either annoyingly restrictive and specific like with most, if not all, immunity-based abilities, or way to all-encompassing, like with Iron Barbs/Rough Skin, Weak Armor.

I also haven't even touched on the prospect of having actual attacks as moves that can be activated, which seems very cool, but, once again, falls apart. If abilities that proc on the switch are allowed, then the game devolves into +6 priority attacks(the priority for switching)/revenge kill: the game. Even if you disable the ability for a pokemon that have an ability that activates on the switch in to activate when coming in on a fainted pokemon, the opponent is just gonna send in their fastest pokemon to have a higher speed and hit with their +6 priority Cloud Nine Drampa Draco Meteor/Banded Tyranitar Stone Edge/Whatever.

On the other hand, the reactive abilities, such as Weak Armor, Volt Absorb, Magic Bounce, etc. twist the game akin to how Sm4sh Bayonetta twisted her game with witch time. The opportunity cost of using an attack might just be heavily outweighed by the prospect of actually just dying, Rotom-Mow with Leaf Storm, Ferrothorn with Body Press, Specs Hatterene/Espeon with whatever. I know I mentioned the difficulty in using more restrictive abilities like Sap Sipper, Flash Fire, Overcoat, etc. But the principle still applies with these very specific moves, and when there's a team full of them, they aren't as restricting due to the 5 other teammates with other immunities.

The list goes on, and I feel it will lead to a very stally meta where only the safest attacks can ever be made, or an HO nightmare where games last slightly longer than 1v1 because everything is switching in and out using their strongest moves without a second thought.

Bad moves

Metagame premise: All moves with less than 20 pp (32 maxed) are banned.
Strategy: With all strong offensive moves gone, setup is easier (if you have setup moves). Stalling becomes harder without toxic and recover. Focus punch might be a good move is used well.
Clauses: OU clauses
Bans:
Abilities: regenerator (too OP without other good healing options)
Questions for community
Should some moves be banned?
Might this om be fun?

Bad moves

Strategy: With all strong offensive moves gone, setup is easier (if you have setup moves). Stalling becomes harder without toxic and recover. Focus punch might be a good move is used well.
Bans:
Questions for community
Might this om be fun?
the problem is that this would become an extremely offensive meta with the chad recovery options gone and just the virgins life dew and jungle healing remaining. while the 20 pp restriction may seem like most attacking moves would be 65 bp, but there are still some viable options, like drill peck, poison jab, knock off, grassy glide and more.

Non mythical / legendaries

There are some players that love creating teams with only non mythical/legendaries. We can see lots of lists since previous generations. I think it would be nice and fun for the community a tier following this line.

Metagame premise:
- One of the main goals of Smogon is to categorize Pokemon according uniquely to their playable ability.
- This proposed metagame is a cutback of National Dex tier, through the banning of mythical/legendaries.

Potential bans and threats:
- Mythical Pokemon.
- Legendary Pokemon.
- National Dex bans and clauses.

Questions for the community:
- Should Dynamax/Gmax be allowed? Neither OU nor the National Dex tier accept them.
- When we look at the OU or any other usual tier we can see some roles been perfectly portrayed by legendaries/mythical Pokemon. Will this new metagame provide options that can be well fitted in these roles? For example, Zeraora in OU is an excellent electric pivot via VoltSwitch, would Jolteon (or another mon) be as effective?

Sorry to burst your bubble, but this isn't the first time, and probably won't be the last time, that this idea has been submitted. It has been shot down every time with the argument along the lines of "Metagames that limit what players are able to do are usually less successful than metagames that give players more options". That, and it is way too similar to OU, especially this gen, and even though it's natdex, the problem is that it is just OU with a bunch of arbitrary bans on specific pokemon by proxy of them being a legendary, even if they aren't good.

The prospect of banning/restricting certain pokemon in OU won't lead to an interesting OM, it will just lead to OU, but different, much like Gen 8 with the dex cut. The goal of an OM is to make you rethink how the game operates on a fundamental level and have a metagame emerge from there.

There are some players that love creating teams with only non mythical/legendaries. We can see lots of lists since previous generations. I think it would be nice and fun for the community a tier following this line.

Metagame premise:
- One of the main goals of Smogon is to categorize Pokemon according uniquely to their playable ability.
- This proposed metagame is a cutback of National Dex tier, through the banning of mythical/legendaries.

- Mythical Pokemon.
- Legendary Pokemon.

- Should Dynamax/Gmax be allowed? Neither OU nor the National Dex tier accept them.
- When we look at the OU or any other usual tier we can see some roles been perfectly portrayed by legendaries/mythical Pokemon. Will this new metagame provide options that can be well fitted in these roles? For example, Zeraora in OU is an excellent electric pivot via VoltSwitch, would Jolteon (or another mon) be as effective?
There is literally nothing that competitively separates a legendary Pokemon from a non-legendary Pokemon. The only difference is that Game Freak put a little label on it that says "legendary". National Dex is a blasphemous chimera of a ruleset and should not be considered for anything, and Dynamax was banned because it's broken as shit and even thinking of unbanning it is absurd.

how about,

mega miss(horrible name)

meta premise: every stat on every pokemon is multiplied by 2(not eva \ acc)but accuracy is halved.

clauses: ou clauses

bans: moves: aura sphere, swift, shock wave ect.(not swords dance and other infinite accuracy moves that don't deal damage[unless it raises accuracy])

abillities: no guard

questions: should we ban some pokemon
is stall going to be too op and make this unfun?

it would probly not be fun now that i think about it, its just luck based ... if i hadn't made a loophole

thunder \ hurricane in rain

infinite accuracy

Sectonia

But I set fire to the rain
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus

Metagame premise:

- Mythical Pokemon.
- Legendary Pokemon.

how about,

mega miss(horrible name)

meta premise: every stat on every pokemon is multiplied by 2(not eva \ acc)but accuracy is halved.

clauses: ou clauses

bans: moves: aura sphere, swift, shock wave ect.(not swords dance and other infinite accuracy moves that don't deal damage[unless it raises accuracy])

abillities: no guard

questions: should we ban some pokemon
is stall going to be too op and make this unfun?
Bad moves

Bans:
Questions for community
Might this om be fun?
All of these metas wouldn't be accepted at all. They're too restricting, or they're the metagames that rewards luck far more than skill. As mentioned before, but it's worth repeating, metagames that restrict options just aren't generally accepted, unless it's a usage based metagame or a metagame similar to little cup (ZU and NFE are examples that we allow, because they're restricting, but they operate under types of restrictions that we would normally accept, since they are usage based, or they universally exclude a category that isn't done out of "well these are too good!" desires.)

These metagames would also suffer through a period where they have somewhat increased activities, usually theorymonning, and then it dies, and there's nothing to show for why we (supposedly) approved of it. Ultimately, they're not that good, even if they're "interesting" ideas. Honestly, they're pretty common ideas, and we reject them regularly enough because they're just not that interesting in the end.

Move-Stat-Mons Statpower

• A Pokemon's attacking moves have BP equal to that of the Pokemon's base stat that corresponds to the slot the move is in (Atk/Def/SpA/SpD).
  • For example, if Zeraora put Blaze Kick in the first moveslot in the teambuilder, since Zeraora's base Atk is 112, Blaze Kick would have 112 BP as opposed to the normal 85.
    • Moves with fixed damage are unaffected.
  • Pokemon with in-battle form differences like Wishiwashi and Aegislash also have the BP of their moves altered alongside the stat changes of the form change.
  • This does not affect the physical/special categorizations of moves, and the stats themselves work as normal.
    • The corollary to this being that Power Split and Guard Split do not affect move power since they don't influence the base stat, but Power Trick DOES.
  • Could also force you to reconsider what moves you want to bring to battle. For example, a 'mon like Conkeldurr has to consider which moves it wants to get 140 BP and 95 BP (based on its Atk and Def), since its other two stats (SpA and SpD) are too low to put attacking moves on.
  • I think it could be interesting because it can enable the usage of fun but weak moves like Fell Stinger, Astonish, and so on. Games may be short due to powercreep, but I'd imagine they'd be pretty eventful due to the viability of more novel move choices.
    • However, given that most Pokémon have one or two high stats (among the 4 that affect BP) and average or low other ones, it may turn into a game of outplaying the foe's support options when they only have one or two attacks to spam, which is interesting in its own right.
  • All multi-hit moves, all priority moves (not priority abilities), Hex, Facade
  • Stored Power/Power Trip, Fury Cutter, Echoed Voice, Knock Off, Brine, Acrobatics
  • Cinderace, Dracovish, G-Darmanitan, maybe Magearna, maybe Melmetal
  • Some hypothetical sets:
    • Inteleon @ Life Orb/Scope Lens
      Ability: Sniper
      EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
      Adamant Nature
      - Fell Stinger
      - Substitute
      - Liquidation/Waterfall
      - Focus Energy
    • Volcarona @ Heavy-Duty Boots
      Ability: Flame Body
      EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpD / 252 Spe
      - Quiver Dance
      - Roost
      - Mystical Fire/Struggle Bug
      - Giga Drain/Hurricane/Psychic
    • Avalugg @ Heavy-Duty Boots
      Ability: Sturdy
      EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
      Impish Nature
      - Avalanche
      - Body Press
      - Recover
      - Toxic
    • Mew @ Life Orb
      Ability: Synchronize
      EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
      Timid Nature
      - Psyshock
      - Frost Breath
      - Charge Beam/Electroweb/Rising Voltage
      - Scorching Sands
    • Dragapult @ Life Orb
      Ability: Infiltrator
      Jolly Nature
      - Astonish
      - Will-O-Wisp
      - Breaking Swipe
      - Dragon Dance

Since it seems like numerous people are interested in this idea and how its minutiae could play out in practice, once I get 20 posts in this forum and can therefore propose an OM, I'll put this in the OM Submissions forum thats what I get for mostly lurking and not posting too much.

Last edited:
Metagame premise: First Blood

A 6v6 battle where whoever gets the first kill wins. Standard OU banlist and clauses apply.

This Metagame plays like a hybrid of OU and 1v1 -- games go quickly, and surprising techs can often pay off. Some sets unique to this meta:

Diggersby @ Choice Band
Ability: Huge Power
Adamant Nature
- Giga Impact
- Earthquake
- Fire Punch
- U-turn

Diggersby can try to end the game on the spot with Banded Giga Impact or U-turn out to maintain momentum.
Bisharp @ Focus Sash
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head
- Swords Dance
- Metal Burst

This Bisharp can turn the tables at any point in the with Sash + Metal Burst. Further adding to the mindgames are Sucker Punch and Swords Dance. 50/50s everywhere...
Klefki @ Eject Button
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
- Fairy Lock
- Thunder Wave
- Light Screen
- Reflect

With Eject Button and Fairy Lock, Klefki can trap an enemy pokemon for one of your mons to KO on the next turn.

With switching and entry hazards available in this meta, no bans from 1v1 carry over into First Blood. This means that Focus Sash, Mimikyu, Perish Song, and more are all fair game.

I've played a lot of First Blood with friends without ever thinking to submit it as an OM, and it's really fun! From my testing, nothing seems to be overly broken just yet, but I will keep an eye out for the usual suspects of Dragapult, Porygon-Z, and Mimikyu.

EDIT: After further testing, Zeraora has been added to the watchlist.

Let me know what you think!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)