Metagamiate!

Depends really, sableye mega can take in on most of the time if it's not packing flash canon (which it isn't since it has espeed), and tentacruel can take it almost all the time.
Zapdos also is a really good switchin, and chansey can actually switch on most sets that don't have

I disagree, actually I stand on the complete opposite side of the fence, in my personal experience arcanine has been the most successful espeeder I used and I can't seem to really build a team without it.

Offensively arcanine is actually better than you make it out to be. Noivern can't even switch on espeed without being 2hkoed, gliscor is easily 2hkoed by double edge and slowbro is easily 2hkoed by wild charge and gyarados is definitely killed by wild charge unless it's a max defence gyarados that switched IN without rocks in which case it's easily 2hkoed.

But really I think arcanine's best set is the defensive set as it's able to check so much while providing intimidate support which is incredibely usefull for pivoting, wisp support and having reliable recovery.
It's a great check to most of the big threats of the meta including medicham, megagross, lucario, scizor, weavile, hoopa, scarf lando, band azumarill, breloom, itself, mega lop, pikachu, excadrill every fairy type, even ttar.
Sure his bulk might sometimes be lackluster but weather I build offence, balance or stall I very rarely have any reason not to put it on my team. And think it's the best mon of the metagame.
(Maybe with megaBro too, I agree with aja that iron defence megaBro is one o the best wincon in the meta against offensive teams)
As much as I love Arcanine, he definitely isn't as strong as you say. However I certainly am a supporter of his A+ rank because of how difficult he is to bring down and how useful his specific moveset is in play. On paper he may seem underwhelming but on the battlefield he does much more than one might think. He can check and counter, revenge kill, break certain walls, and KO boosted or scarfed sweepers with a strong STAB ESpeed.
Here are the calcs you referred to though
All calcs with Adamant for max power, this would however let all max+ 83's on up outspeed, so Magmortar, Excadrill, Kingdra, up to Lucario, LandoT, Gliscor, Zygarde, other Arc's and more. If you are Jolly, the calcs decrease but you can outspeed them which is often very important.

Extreme speed set to 104 BP fire type, Double-Edge 156 BP fire type

252+ Atk Choice Band Arcanine Extreme Speed vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Noivern: 150-177 (48.2 - 56.9%) -- 89.1% chance to 2HKO

Band is less common (flash fire Arcanine's, water types, etc) but it gets the job done. What about the more common and versatile Life Orb set?

252+ Atk Life Orb Arcanine Extreme Speed vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Noivern: 130-153 (41.8 - 49.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

He's ready to Boomburst, unless you manage SR.

252+ Atk Life Orb Arcanine Double-Edge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Gliscor: 199-235 (56.2 - 66.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Poison Heal

He can Protect for more PH and survive another hit, but yes it technically does 2HKO.

252+ Atk Life Orb Arcanine Wild Charge vs. 252 HP / 232+ Def Slowbro: 172-203 (43.6 - 51.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

Nope. Slowbro is standard spread with some SpD EV's, not even max def. If it has Rocky Helmet and Slack Off you'll die from the recoil very quickly while he remains healthy.

252+ Atk Choice Band Arcanine Wild Charge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Slowbro: 194-230 (49.2 - 58.3%) -- 66% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Okay now you have a decent chance, if it switches in, in which case it can switch out to Zygarde for some free boosting. If Arcanine comes in against it, it can just Slack Off and eat hits until recoil claims your Arcanine.

-1 252+ Atk Life Orb Arcanine Wild Charge vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Gyarados: 406-478 (122.6 - 144.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

-1 252+ Atk Choice Band Arcanine Wild Charge vs. 88 HP / 4 Def Gyarados: 464-548 (131.4 - 155.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

-1 252+ Atk Choice Band Arcanine Wild Charge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Gyarados: 320-380 (81.2 - 96.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

I had to really amp up Gyarados's defense spread to get him to live. Idk what the other guy was talking about, if you run this spread just to survive then your Gyara won't be killing anything anyway, so...
Here's what that dumb max def spread gets you:

0 Atk Gyarados Waterfall vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Arcanine: 252-296 (78.5 - 92.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Arcanine isn't the strongest attacker around, but that's never been his job in any meta he succeeds at. He pivots, revenges, and checks the most unique assortment of attackers. It's what he does best and he deserves his rank.

Soo...

Doublade is a pretty good pokemon in this meta, being one of the few to reliably take on aerodactyl-mega as well as megagross and megacham which are probably the three most dangerous mega in the metagame for stall and offence alike.
Doublade's great bulk also makes him able to switch on a lot more physical attackers (most notably band azu but also band staraptor, breloom or terrakion) to see on what move it locks itself.
On top of that ay ghost type makes the matchup against assist teams a hole lot easier since it can switch on infernape all day everyday.
Doublade unfortunately has a lack of recovery outside of rest / talk, is really weak to knock off and doesn't appreciate hazards due to lack of lefties.

I've not tried offensive doublade yet (shame since ghost return is a really attractive stab) but defensively it deserves a place in the ranks.
Doublade to B+?

Altaria-mega has a unique and amazing defensive typing being probably the only reliable answer to charizardX as well as arcanine / entei but also has really useful resists to dark, water, fire, grass, fighting and electric. Also has a neat support move in heal bell making it able to support the team.
On top of that altaria has great offensive presence and can provide defensive teams with a reliable wincon. Or can choose the ability to hit through substitute making him a good answer to bulky coil zygarde and breloom.
Altaria to hmmm... idk A?

Bronzong has great bulk and two good abilities in levitate and heatproof (although levitate is generally preferred) making it a reliable answer to special pixies like mega gardevoir or togekiss as well as being a great backup check to a lot of threats like mega aerodactyle, noivern, flygon, landorus, mixed kyurem, gliscor, salamence, mega-aero... definitely not amazing but still worth adding to your team.
Also has access to rocks as well as a powerfull explosion making it a good pokemon to run on trick room teams.
Bronzong to C+?

Other than that, heatran what do ppl think of heatran? I have not used it myself but on top of being great defensively it's also an amazing stallbreaker with taunt / storm / tri-attack / ep
And just by curiosity, has anyone actually used hoopa-u? It seems to be the physical attacker that can most easily take on every phisical wall and completely shits on stuff like slowbro or sableye that would otherwise take on offensive psychics reliably.

If Metagamiate went to Ubers:
Physical Aegislash chooses a better STAB on either of its type, preferably ghost
Arceus gets more powerful ESpeed, and Special sets gets 130 BP Judgement
Blaziken chooses for a fire type return to hjk some people
Genesect gets Steel/Bug Techno Blast, and Return/espeed on physical
Greninja would run physical to abuse efficiency, and he would replace a meager dark type move for 130 BP dark type move
Groudon gets a fire type physical move stronger than precipice
Kangaskhan gets a powerful fake out and return
Landorus gets a flying type STAB or a stronger ground STAB, but preferably flying
Lucario gets steel type (ADAPTABILITY) return + espeed
Mawile gets to choose from steel and fairy
Mootoo X gets supa powerful psychic type
salamance gets powerful- oh wait it already has areialte
zekrom gets to choose some powerful electric or dragon, dragon

Let me reiterate for you:
  • The ubers mentioned do not benefit (much) from the -iate bonus.
  • They have the potential to slow down an offense-centered metagame
The point is pokemon in this tier are strong. Every physical attacker chooses 1 stab type to become 1.95x instead of 1.5x dmg. And every physical pokemon now has a marginally stronger than earthquake stab move. They wouldn't easily be outclassed against ubers that don't receive the boost.
Well?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)