Metagamiate!

Pikachuun

the entire waruda machine
Approved by Arcticblast

[Source]​
Welcome to Metagamiate, where every single Pokemon gets an -ate Ability on top of their old one!
How does it work? Well, I just told you, but let me go over it again. Each and every Pokemon has an -ate ability. What -ate ability? Any one of them, including 15 other ones that haven't been made yet! What it means is simple. Each Pokemon's Normal moves get boosted in power by 30%, and transform to either their primary type (For instance, Electric type for Pikachu, and Rock type for Diancie) or their secondary type if they're Shiny! (Electric for Pikachu, Fairy for Diancie)
Regulate (Normal) [Credit to abenx for this]
Gladiate (Fighting) [Credit to Wimblesaurus for this]
Aerilate (Flying)
Toxicate (Poison)
Terrate (Ground) [Credit to unfixable for this]
Sedimentiate (Rock)
Infestate (Bug) [Credit to TheNextDimentions for this]
Spectrate (Ghost)
Metallate (Steel)
Pyrate (Fire) [Credit to SpartanMalice for this]
Hydrate (Water) [Credit to PokemonMasterDebater for this]
Germinate (Grass) [Credit to unfixable for this]
Generate (Electric) [Credit to Wimblesaurus for this]
Psychokinate (Psychic) [Credit to SpartanMalice for this]
Refrigerate (Ice)
Slaviate (Dragon) [Credit to unfixable for this]
Tenebrate (Dark) [Credit to Wimblesaurus for this]
Pixilate (Fairy)
Metagamiate (Metagame)

Rules:

Mechanic:
All Pokemon gain an intrinsic -ate ability corresponding to their first type if not shiny, and second type (if applicable) if shiny. This ability cannot be removed, and the Pokemon's old abilities still have their effects.
Clauses:
OU Clauses
Bans:
OU Banlist
Dragonite
Kyurem-Black
Unbans:
None

Strategy:

Extreme Speed is a good move. You should probably use it. In fact, you should run Normal-type moves instead of your STAB moves corresponding to that type most of the time. This is an offensively-oriented meta, however stall can be run if you're a lunatic. Try to have something for Noivern and Extreme Speed on your team. You're going to need it.

Q&A:

Q: I'm Normal type. Now what?
A: You'll get a 30% boost in power on your normal-type moves, and those moves will turn to Normal-type moves. Obvious, no?

Q: I somehow changed typing. Now what?
A: Your -ate ability will change too to correspond with your new typing, assuming the type change applies to the -ate ability.

Q: I keep saying "now what?" as the second sentence of these questions. Now what?
A: Your problem, not mine.

Q: I already have an -ate ability. Now what?
A: The old -ate ability will have priority over the new one. As an example, a non-shiny Gardevoir-Mega will still have Pixilate.

Q: I have both Gale Wings and a typing that allows me to have Aerilate. Now what?
A: Your priority will not get increased, as the intrinsic -ate ability is processed after Gale Wings is checked because Gale Wings is turn order-based.

Resources:

Play this meta at pandora.psim.us, as well as the main Pokemon Showdown server for the month of March!
Viability Rankings can be found here.
If you want to implement this metagame on your own server, place the following code [Thanks to The Immortal for it] in your formats.js file and tell me so I can add your server to the OP:
Code:
    {
        name: "Metagamiate",
        desc: ["&bullet; <a href=\"https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/3502303/\">Metagamiate</a>"],
        section: "OM of the Month",
        column: 2,

ruleset: ['OU'],
        banlist: ['Dragonite', 'Kyurem-Black'],
        onModifyMovePriority: -1,
        onModifyMove: function (move, pokemon) {
            if (move.type === 'Normal' && move.id !== 'hiddenpower' && !pokemon.hasAbility(['aerilate', 'pixilate', 'refrigerate'])) {
                let types = pokemon.getTypes();
                let type = types.length < 2 || !pokemon.set.shiny ? types[0] : types[1];
                move.type = type;
                move.isMetagamiate = true;
            }
        },
        onBasePowerPriority: 8,
        onBasePower: function (basePower, attacker, defender, move) {
            if (!move.isMetagamiate) return;
            return this.chainModify([0x14CD, 0x1000]);
        },
    },
That's really about it, and I hope you guys enjoy this meta! Thanks for reading, and have a nice day.

Last edited:

Albacore

sludge bomb is better than sludge wave
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Glaciate Weavile. That is all.

Edit : Its primary type is Dark. Why, Gamefreak, why?

Physical attackers will absolutely rule here, since everything gets STAB Return and few Pokemon have a special Normal-type move, although Nature Power being changed to Tri Attack definitely helps.

Last edited:
Extremespeed. Man this move will be insane. Lucario gets Fighting-ate Extremespeed now. Dragonite can use it over Dragon Claw to free up some room. Quick Attack could be a similar version of this for those who want a STAB priority. Body Slam can give a good non-priority physical move

I think I like this metagame

Albacore

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Yeah, anything with Extremespeed is now great, and Arcanine is usable at last. Fake Out might actually get some usage too. Good thing nothing gets both, that would be pretty broken.

Pikachu is actually viable, since it gets both Fake Out and extremespeed, although the two aren't compatible, which is a shame. ESpeed is slightly weaker than Volt Tackle, but far superior otherwise.

Pikachuun

how does this interact with normalize? what type is say, thunderbolt, if delcatty was to use it, and how strong would it be?
I was actually just debating about that! Normalize converts all moves to normal type moves, which Normalate (lol) boosts in power. Since this is the only case of this, and it's only on Delcatty and Skitty, 2 really unviable Pokemon, I think this is how it will go.
Pikachu is actually viable, since it gets both Fake Out and extremespeed, although the two aren't compatible, which is a shame. ESpeed is slightly weaker than Volt Tackle, but far superior otherwise.
... My evil plan worked! Woohoo!

Pikachuun

Surely Normalate is on all Normal-Type Pokémon in this meta?
Yes. If it's too overpowered, I'll remove it though. Seriously doubt it though since we have Dragon-type Espeed with 30% bonus power >_>
EDIT: I mean Mythicate boosted Extremespeed. Wow I do like that better.

Last edited:
well honestly it wasn't really very big since delcatty is hard-walled by ghosts anyway and her stats are just bad.

Normalate is pretty much just free 30% boost to STAB to the dudes that have it so you can treat it like Adaptability-lite or something.

looking at normal moves, stuff that stands out

Boomburst Noivern (182 bp flying stab rekt)
Hyper Voice *insert every special attacker here that isn't already Sylveon/Gardevoir* (for instance, Salamence gets accurate Draco Meteor without the drops, Clefable basically laughs at Sylveon now, and Drizzle Politoed now has a stronger and more accurate version of Hydro Pump)

Landorus-T also has the strongest Explosion in the game now :v

Albacore

Speaking of Rock-types, Archeops could make an absolutely brutal sweeper/revenge killer with his Rock-type Quick Attack and Return.
By the way, if you hold a Normal gem, does it activate when you use a Normal-type move modified by an -ate ability? Can someone verify this in-game?

Boomburst Noivern (182 bp flying stab rekt)
Oh god that it going to hurt. Specs Noivern may be amazing, if it wasn't for all the Quick Attacks that will probably be flying around.

Pikachuun

Speaking of Rock-types, Archeops could make an absolutely brutal sweeper/revenge killer with his Rock-type Quick Attack and Return.
By the way, if you hold a Normal gem, does it activate when you use a Normal-type move? Can someone verify this in-game?
I'm pretty sure it doesn't activate, because the -ate abilities take prescedence over that. If it's confirmed otherwise, meh, I was wrong :p
EDIT: The internet says I was right.

It's kind of interesting how people mention Dragonite, while forget that Zygarde also has access to the same type of ExtremeSpeed and suddenly moveset of Coil ExtremeSpeed + Earthquake looks really damn good, which in normal OU metagame isn't that great of a pick because of Gengar 100% walling it. Now he doesn't do it. Zygarde sounds like a beastly pick for this metagame as well. Zygarde with Normal type ExtremeSpeed is one of the most underrated Pokemon around. Now it may gain some additional love in this meta if you ask me ;).

Last edited:

Albacore

I'm pretty sure it doesn't activate, because the -ate abilities take prescedence over that. If it's confirmed otherwise, meh, I was wrong :p
EDIT: The internet says I was right.
That's a shame, I'll have to run it itemless then.

A few improved Pokemon :
  • Togekiss can use Tri Attack instead of Dazzling Gleam, and can even abuse Serene Grace to get a 40% status rate.
  • If it has a Toxic Orb, Breloom can abuse a Grass-type Facade.
  • Talonflame has Dual STAB Priority
  • Cloyster now has a good physical Water STAB
  • Mega-Aerodactyl now has a Rock-type move that actually makes contact and doesn't miss half the time.
  • Anything with Quick Attack or Extremespeed
  • Come think of it, pretty much every physical attacker.

Albacore

Here is a list of viable & legal special attackers that can learn Tri Attack/Hyper Voice/Boomburst :
  • Magneton
  • Porygon 2
  • Porygon-Z
  • Genesect
  • Alakazam
  • Slowbro
  • Starmie
  • Togekiss (both Tri Attack and Hyper Voice is viable on this one)

• Politoed
  • Hydreigon
  • Kyurem
  • Meloetta
  • Clefable
  • Vaporeon
  • Jolteon
  • Mew
  • Espeon
  • Houndoom
  • Gardevoir (but you knew that already)
  • Salamence
  • Mismagius

• Exploud
  • Nukevern

And, of course, any good physical attacker loves Return.

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
The name of this OM is incredibly irritating :P

It sounds fun though, extremely offensively oriented metagame, I'm interested in which Pokemon would be the most prominent threats.

ExtremeSpeed on Entei should be pretty interesting.

-Unblockable rapid spins
-This meta will be brutal on physical walls. Fun fact:90% of all mons from gen 1, 2 & 3 get double edge for some uber pain...Eg:
-MegaAero & megazardx now have a 120*1.3*1.33*1.5=311bp rock and fire type move resp thanks to double edge(De)
-Double edge+espeed arcanine
-rock head De golem/marowack
-scizor now has a 117 bp bug quick attack
-mega medicham/garchomp can use DE instead of hjk/outrage
Its also a tutor move for gen4.....

Covet/Swift/Round on things with Technician are 175 base power.

Too bad the only things that can make use of this are Smeargle, Persian, and Roserade

Burn inducers like Sableye can be abused by using Facade as it's no longer type restricted. As long as you're not normal or fighting type you should be okay.

Last edited:
252+ SpA Flariate Mega Charizard Y Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Blissey in Sun: 345-406 (48.3 - 56.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

Not bad.

EDIT: Read OP

Last edited:
Ok, yeah, amazing thread ^^. I had the same idea, but you submitted first, but here is a small threatlist I wrote:
Threatlist:

RETURN
I cannot go over Return every time, but I will give threats to use Return with! Return is 132 Base Power, so it is very powerful and has no drawbacks. Always use Return on physical attackers!

Ordinate
Porygon2 / Z

Porygon2 is a threat mainly because it has a very powerful Tri Attack after Ordinate, along with its fantastic bulk and Recover, it is hard to take down and can take a more offensive role. Here are a few calcs:
252+ SpA Life Orb Porygon2 Tri Attack vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Talonflame: 218-257 (73.4 - 86.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Life Orb Porygon2 Tri Attack vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Mega Charizard Y: 142-169 (47.6 - 56.7%) -- 87.5% chance to 2HKO
252+ SpA Life Orb Porygon2 Tri Attack vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Mega Charizard X: 185-218 (62 - 73.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
These are just a few things Porygon2 has no issues with walling but can seriously injure in return. Porygon2 is better suited for a Defensive role, however, and the boosted Tri Attack is just icing on the cake! Also, I'm mentioning Porygon-Z simply because with Choice Specs and Adaptability, it can cause serious damage as well.

Staraptor

Staraptor is insane in this metagame. Backed by a Choice Band, it can OHKO fully defensive Chansey:
252 Atk Choice Band Reckless Staraptor Double-Edge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 573-675 (81.3 - 95.8%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
Plus, look at some other stuff it takes on:
252 Atk Choice Band Reckless Staraptor Double-Edge vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Charizard X: 396-466 (132.8 - 156.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
-1 252 Atk Choice Band Reckless Staraptor Double-Edge vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Landorus-T: 315-372 (82.4 - 97.3%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Choice Band Reckless Staraptor Double-Edge vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Tyranitar: 199-234 (49.2 - 57.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Choice Band Reckless Staraptor Double-Edge vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Deoxys-D: 286-337 (94 - 110.8%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO [guaranteed OHKO after Rocks, but it is usually a suicide lead, so.]
252 Atk Choice Band Reckless Staraptor Double-Edge vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 205-242 (53.1 - 62.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Choice Band Reckless Staraptor Double-Edge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Venusaur: 270-318 (74.1 - 87.3%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock and 1 layer of Spikes
252 Atk Choice Band Reckless Staraptor Double-Edge vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Multiscale Dragonite: 225-266 (69.4 - 82%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
This is all with Staraptor's Double-Edge being boosted by 30%. As you can see, it is a very huge threat that will absolutely destroy unprepared teams. Pack an Aegislash, but oh wait:
252 Atk Choice Band Reckless Staraptor Brave Bird vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Aegislash-Shield: 117-138 (44.8 - 52.8%) -- 84% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
Still, be very careful with this!

Ambipom

Ambipom is a very powerful Pokemon in this metagame, unlike in regular OU. It has a very powerful Technician Fake Out that can dent a lot of things in conjunction with Return. It also is no slouch on momentum, as it packs U-Turn to come in later and Fake Out again!

Chatot

Chatot gets a special mention because of its extremely powerful Boomburst, that can do this to Chansey:
252 SpA Choice Specs Chatot Boomburst vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Eviolite Chansey: 225-265 (31.9 - 37.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252 SpA Life Orb Chatot Boomburst vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Eviolite Chansey: 387-458 (54.9 - 65%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
Nasty Plot Chatot can beat the plink blobs, unlike many Special Attackers. Boomburst shreds through things.

Cinccino

Cinccino isn't the greatest Pokemon, but it now has a move more powerful than Giga Impact - Tail Slap, which reaches 160 Base Power every time (if it hits)! It can cause serious damage when backed by a Choice Band or Life Orb, as it is very fast, it can outspeed large portions of the metagame and Tail Slap them to death.

Diggersby
Diggersby has an immensely powerful Return and Quick Attack, it can now punch holes even better than it could before. I almost decided to not mention it, because I have a feeling it isn't as effective as it sounds, but it still could potentially be a threat.

Combustate

Typhlosion

Typhlosion is very powerful as it has access to Nature Power, a move that completely bypasses Sucker Punch. It hits hard off of Typhlosion's Special Attack and can punch holes in teams with a Choice Specs or a Choice Scarf.

Entei

Entei is the first Pokemon to have Fire-type Extreme Speed. This gives it a 104 BP STAB +2 Priority move! This gives Entei a major buff as it now can reliably run a Choice Band set and not be worried about being outspeed by everything as much, as Extreme Speed wasn't the most powerful move before.

Return
Charizard, Talonflame, Infernape.

Landorus-T also has the strongest Explosion in the game now :v
252+ Atk Life Orb Sand Force Landorus Explosion vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Hippowdon in Sand: 920-1084 (219 - 258%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Permission to wet pants in sheer terror?
(LandoI with sand force boost from hippo. I also bumped explosion to 488 power adding in stab and the 30% boost from Earthalate)
Yeah, and that's our top physical wall in OU? It has the power to OHKO 2 hippowdons and a blaziken in one hit! :( )

252+ Atk Landorus-T Explosion vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Hippowdon: 607-715 (144.5 - 170.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Here's therian, not nearly hitting for as much, but it's all overkill anyway.
Oops I didn't orb landoT. Oh well, it still wouldn't have done as much and lefties is more common anyway

252+ Atk Life Orb Sand Force Landorus Explosion vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Hippowdon in Sand: 920-1084 (219 - 258%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Permission to wet pants in sheer terror?
(LandoI with sand force boost from hippo. I also bumped explosion to 488 power adding in stab and the 30% boost from Earthalate)
Yeah, and that's our top physical wall in OU? It has the power to OHKO 2 hippowdons and a blaziken in one hit! :( )

252+ Atk Landorus-T Explosion vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Hippowdon: 607-715 (144.5 - 170.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Here's therian, not nearly hitting for as much, but it's all overkill anyway.
Oops I didn't orb landoT. Oh well, it still wouldn't have done as much and lefties is more common anyway
I guess there's always Skarm.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)