Format Discussion Metronome Battle

There are usually ways that you can technically mitigate some terrible moves like perish song. For taunt, disable, and torment, you could technically carry mental herb if you cared about it that much. Perish song is easy to counter with mons that have low base speed. Just remember to minimize your speed IVs. You can prevent the scary residual damage from trapping moves by opting for magic guard. The only hard ones I can think of off the top of my head are explosion/sd, memento, and getting imprisoned.

On another note, would it be possible for metronome battles to have a shorter battle timer than 5 minutes per turn? I know this is an unranked format, but I feel like it shouldn't really take you more than 1 minute to use metronome on ur mons.

Last edited:
Like Ivy said, you can counter this by minspeeding your mons. It’s not a draw, having lower speed is a strategy.
There are usually ways that you can technically mitigate some terrible moves like perish song. For taunt, disable, and torment, you could technically carry mental herb if you cared about it that much. Perish song is easy to counter with mons that have low base speed. Just remember to minimize your speed IVs. You can prevent the scary residual damage from trapping moves by opting for magic guard. The only hard ones I can think of off the top of my head are explosion/sd, memento, and getting imprisoned.

On another note, would it be possible for metronome battles to have a shorter battle timer than 5 minutes per turn? I know this is an unranked format, but I feel like it shouldn't really take you more than 1 minute to use metronome on ur mons.
I am aware of all this, but since there is no ladder for metronome battles I see it as a draw. Because even if I min IV/EV one mons speed they could still just have a mon with lower base stat speed and make it pointless. Not to mention how rare Perish Song is I am not that worried about it that I would wanna lower IVs for it. As for the timer.... why not just set up metronome battles to automatically force each side to use their only available move every turn. I mean honestly there is no thought process involved and if anyone ever wants to slowly go over what happened, there is a chat box with all the info, and replays. I would support automatic Metronome casts.

Last edited:
I am aware of all this, but since there is no ladder for metronome battles I see it as a draw. Because even if I min IV/EV one mons speed they could still just have a mon with lower base stat speed and make it pointless. Not to mention how rare Perish Song is I am not that worried about it that I would wanna lower IVs for it. As for the timer.... why not just set up metronome battles to automatically force each side to use their only available move every turn. I mean honestly there is no thought process involved and if anyone ever wants to slowly go over what happened there is a chat box with all the info and replays. I would support automatic Metronome casts.
Speed hardly matters in this metagame so I think it’s a good tradeoff to use minspeed on at least one of your mons. Also, using lower base speed mons would count as a valid strategy for countering perish song, although I really wouldn’t intentionally use a slow mon to counter perish song.
Interestingly, the best performing mons in this meta have the lowest speed stats because they fit in the BST limit without spending much points in speed and instead have good bulk and good damage, which are infinitely more important than speed.

Speed hardly matters in this metagame so I think it’s a good tradeoff to use minspeed on at least one of your mons. Also, using lower base speed mons would count as a valid strategy for countering perish song, although I really wouldn’t intentionally use a slow mon to counter perish song.
Interestingly, the best performing mons in this meta have the lowest speed stats because they fit in the BST limit without spending much points in speed and instead have good bulk and good damage, which are infinitely more important than speed.
I would agree if the strat I am using didn't have the potential to easily OHKO mons out the gate on lucky metronome results. (even if rare) I do agree tho, that generally speaking speed is probably the worst stat in this meta, however I am really loving +/- M. Ampharos right now and I like being able to assure acting before my enemy just for that potential to kill them before the game even really begins lol.

Edit: I think this video shows what I am talking about pretty well. Even tho I was out sped here it was still a turn 1 dead sports car lol.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7metronomebattle-991408551

That’s why I like Metronome battles: Mega Ampharos, my favourite Pokemon, can actually shine here.
I honestly wasn't a fan of Ampharos at all before this build haha. You should feel proud that it is getting some real lime light haha. I might even look into it competitive uses in other formats too. I used to love OU/Ubers and I am tempted to look into UU with Mews recent decent into UU. So I may even look into putting Ampharos on real teams in the future depending where it falls in the tier list.

Last edited:
Aroma Veil is nice for this as well, because it isn't one-use and affects both Pokemon.
I thought of that myself, but I personally think Aroma Veil is a waste of an ability choice. The taunt effect is rare enough, that the single use is all you really need.

Last edited:
Fyi: Another way to deal with Perish Song is running Soundproof on one of your 'mons. It's quite niche, though...

Night (Oricorio-Sensu) (F) @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Delta Stream
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpA / 252 SpD / 252 Spe
Brave Nature
- Metronome

Starry (Oricorio-Pom-Pom) (F) @ Lum Berry
Ability: Soundproof
Jolly Nature
- Metronome

^ This was my first Mets team, and, uh, yea. I wanted to play around with Oricorios, and I ended up, after a LOT of trial and error, with this team. Night's Delta Stream really helps out with sfx (super-effective, I say sfx in my head) hits, and WP makes it really hurt if it gets hit by an sfx move. Also, Ghost typing is quite good because of all the Normal type moves bouncing around, and, to a lesser extent, Fighting. Starry has textbook Soundproof to deal with mothertrucking Perish Song and I had no idea what item to give it but when in doubt, Lum Berry.

Bringing an ability for just one move feels like a waste of the ability to me. I would think you would want to use an ability that at least has a 50% chance of relevance each game. Perish song is just one of of many possible moves that Metronome can land on. Also 7 of the moves that Soundproof protects you from are normal offensive moves that already get countered to your ghost typing. Personally I think something more generally defensive or offensive is better in this slot, but this is just my opinion.

Bringing an ability for just one move feels like a waste of the ability to me. I would think you would want to use an ability that at least has a 50% chance of relevance each game. Perish song is just one of of many possible moves that Metronome can land on. Also 7 of the moves that Soundproof protects you from are normal offensive moves that already get countered to your ghost typing. Personally I think something more generally defensive or offensive is better in this slot, but this is just my opinion.
Meh, true. (Starry's the Electric type, not the Ghost type, though.) I was just so sick of Perish Song that I did that. You could always just put the OU Magic Bounce on it and call it a day, but mehhhh. Or go for Magic Guard, that's always nice to have. Or Technician. Or Sheer Force. Speaking of which, I should try those.

737373elj

Banned deucer.
Quick question: I'm trying out a new team here, but... Can anyone check the replay and tell me how Kakuna's Synchronoise was able to hit my Gardevoir and Gallade? Is that supposed to happen?

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7metronomebattle-993197978
This is just my hypothesis but... maybe the target was Kakuna, and because Kakuna got hit Synchro could hit all the other Pokemon too... I suggest asking the team who looks into SM battle mechanics, maybe they would know.

This is just my hypothesis but... maybe the target was Kakuna, and because Kakuna got hit Synchro could hit all the other Pokemon too... I suggest asking the team who looks into SM battle mechanics, maybe they would know.
Who're they? Because I doubt the primary target was Kakuna, given how Mets works... Then again, what do I know XD

I decided to make a joke set to speedrun losing in metronome battles. It uses sunkerns for the lowest bst , sticky barbs for consistent self damage, and solar power + drought for even more self damage. I decided that using the sticky barb was better than the toxic orb because it deals more immediate damage. However, I am sad that the sunkerns cannot hold black sludge because it is banned. The 252 speed EVs are so that I have a higher chance at dying to perish song, if I last that long.

What do you guys think of this set? Is it as effective at losing as possible?

Code:
specially weak (Sunkern) @ Sticky Barb
Ability: Drought
Level: 1
Hidden Power: Ghost
EVs: 252 Spe
Naive Nature
IVs: 0 HP / 0 Def / 0 SpA / 0 SpD
- Metronome

physically weak (Sunkern) @ Sticky Barb
Ability: Solar Power
Hasty Nature
- Metronome
Unfortunately, I didn't get a one turn loss on my first try... https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7metronomebattle-993243837

Last edited:
awww, salty? https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7metronomebattle-993241828

But yep, new team!

Me, three hours ago: Or Technician. Or Sheer Force. Speaking of which, I should try those.

Me, when building a team: Ooooh, theme! Screw those things!

So this team is sorta based on two roleplay characters I have:

Deirdre (Gardevoir-Mega) (F) @ Pixie Plate
Ability: Pixilate
Relaxed Nature
- Metronome

Athan (Gallade-Mega) @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
Brave Nature
- Metronome

Basically, Deirdre exists to Pixie Plate Pixilate STAB things into oblivion (so ha, I CAN use a non-Download-Mega Stone-Altaria Pixilater), and Athan, as the less useful member (as he is in the RP as well, heh), is Life Orb Magic Guard. I chose Magic Guard over Sheer Force because Sheer Force activates in a select few situations, while Magic Guard is great against: burns! poisons! toxics! hail! sandstorms! and no damage from life orb! It actually works pretty damn well, too. I can supply replays if you want, I guess?

Next up on Feria's Testlist: A Mudboi with quite possibly the ideal ability and learning to abuse Technician, maybe. trying on Defiant for size.

Last edited:

737373elj

Banned deucer.
Random team I found running around the ladder:

Shedinja @ Leppa Berry
Ability: Power of Alchemy
Naive Nature
- Metronome

specially weak (Sunkern) @ Sticky Barb
Ability: Drought
Naive Nature
- Metronome

And here’s a replay showing it’s power: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7metronomebattle-993267764

Another weird set which I have adopted:

Blissey (F) @ Leppa Berry
Ability: Imposter
Calm Nature
- Metronome

Blissey (F) @ Leppa Berry
Ability: Imposter
Calm Nature
- Metronome

Trick is to use this team against good teams: only use it if you see experienced players actually playing, else you will be stuck against some shit.

Last edited:
If you wanna make a suicide team do it right lol.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7metronomebattle-993270624

Die (Shedinja) @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Truant
IVs: 0 HP / 0 Atk / 0 Def / 0 SpA / 0 SpD
- Metronome

I Wanna (Shedinja) @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Truant
IVs: 0 HP / 0 Atk / 0 Def / 0 SpA / 0 SpD
- Metronome

Edit: Sticky Barb OP for this goal lol. like how bad you gotta feel when your opponent just kills themselves with their 1 hp lol.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7metronomebattle-993276890

Last edited:

Ivy

resident enigma
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributor
Even with the Shedinja's partner dying on turn 1 (which happens basically only half of the time), Shed is still vulnerable to such an obscene amount of things. Good luck even surviving long enough to utilize the Leppa Berry PP. You have to run either Protective Pads, Safety Goggles, or Lum Berry to have any slight additional chance of survival.

e: Here's just one replay with some of the best luck conceivable, until of course it gets owned by one of the many possible paths of ruin: losing its ability. https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7metronomebattle-993284192

And this is the game that ended my 5 loss streak: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7metronomebattle-993285435
(yes, you get more loss streaks than win streaks with this archetype.) Look at how close the game was. Ridiculous.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7metronomebattle-993286830 Just for fun—Diglett gets a massive KO here. Amazing work, old sport.

Gotta say, though, it's incredibly exciting to see how long the sheddy lasts. each turn is a drama all its own.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7metronomebattle-993288744 Another fun one. I can't help it. These get down to the wire. Sure am glad I didn't activate their Mummy this time.

Last edited:

737373elj

Banned deucer.
Even with the Shedinja's partner dying on turn 1 (which happens basically only half of the time), Shed is still vulnerable to such an obscene amount of things. Good luck even surviving long enough to utilize the Leppa Berry PP. You have to run either Protective Pads, Safety Goggles, or Lum Berry to have any slight additional chance of survival.
I realised my mistake a bit too late...
Yeah I use Lum Berry now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 9)