Mew Suspect Test (RBY)

Hello.
We just got introduced to this game named "Pokehmoms?" and we have decided here at the Smogon University, to suspect test Mew! Ever since Smogon opened it's doors a few months ago, we have opened up a tier system that will totally not backfire at us a few gens later! And we have decided the first major change would be the first suspect test in Pokemon history!
Prefix: M97 Snoms
What you need for this suspect test:
A time machine to 2020.
A Glicko-1 of 75,
1500 ELO.
Deadline is January 1st 1997.

Theorymon

Long Live Super Mario Maker! 2015-2024
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'm convinced this suspect test isn't from 1997, but is in the good timeline of 2020, which is mostly good except Pokemon is instead a has-been clone of Yokai Watch. My reasoning for this is simple: None of you talk like you're from a Pokemon forum from around 20 years ago!

You may be wondering how I know this... there is a certain archeolgical site with ancient texts written on its walls, that show you exactly how a REAL Mew suspect test would have gone!

Unfortuantely, all records before 2000 appear to be gone, but I got the next best thing. Pack your bags and get your torches ready, it's time to visit Smogon's direct ancestor!

bigtitle.gif

That's right, the ancestor of Smogon is none other than Azure Heights! They even had Koffing as their mascot, and some REALLY ancient Smogonites came from there!

I don't visit the tomb of Azure Heights very often, so I don't know my way around all that well. However, I know well enough to know where a certain thread about Mewtwo is located...

Check out this thread about the debate over banning Mewtwo back in the YEAR 2000!

This thread is a real wild ride, there's quite a few things that are... different than 2020, most notably the moderation. Prepare to see posts talking about rocketships to gay islands, or other things that'd probably get you a warning in a modern day suspect thread!

Funnily enough, while there was obviously no suspect test... various boards did actually vote on Mewtwo's legality for the tournament in question. According to the 2nd post on page 3, Azure Heights was mostly for allowing Mewtwo at this time... which is not a twist I expected from our direct ancestor! Turns out, GameFAQs of all places was more into banning Mewtwo than proto-Smogon was... I guess we really did gobble up all the English Pokemon competitive communities at the time, huh?

Almost no one talks about Mew in that thread in comparison by the way. So sure, take your time machine and go tell Azure Heights about Smogon. Maybe they'll have a Mew suspect test on ancient Pokemon simulator Porygon's Big Show! Seriously this simulator still worked last time I used it, pretty wild...

Last edited:
December 25 1996:

Maybe too Late but Mew Should be Banned. Would we get Mew to be Banned? Way Stronger than any Pokemon,I Suspect this would be Banned!

What is Smogon University? I believe Smogon is the German name for Koffing but I’ve never heard of Koffing University. Yahoo search had 0 results.
Idk, maybe try askjeeves.com

Theorymon that's actually some really interesting stuff you linked. Kind of, there's a lot of bullshit to sift through and I cbf going through all of it. As much as I believe that ubers should be the starting point for competitive play, it's crazy that there was even a substantial debate around banning rby M2, that shit is MRay levels of broken. I'd always assumed it was arbitrarily banned out of some wacky sense that the game wasn't meant to be played with Mew(two) and the like. It's also fascinating to see how things have changed, standards were so different back then, I got the impression skimming through that they don't really view themselves as a competitive community, more just playing pokemon on the internet for shits and giggles

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)