Microwaving water

Do you microwave your water to heat it?

• Yeah, it's convenient

Votes: 11 22.0%
  • No, I use a kettle like a normal person...?

Votes: 42 84.0%

• Total voters

monkfish

what are birds? we just don't know.
is a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
as a climate-responsible person i take an old piece of glass that i found and use it to focus the sun's rays upon whatever i need to heat. currently cooking a frozen pizza one slice at a time, will let you know when it's done

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Look I know Applebee's Chef of the Month is always Chef Mike, and he always bustling and cooking those salads

But ffs get an Electric Kettle at least if you need boiled water or a stove top kettle.

This is worse than shake's confession of microwaving bread.

Doesn't microwaving water make it explode
I'll elaborate on this one because it's a genuine safety issue even if it's very unlikely.
If you have a perfectly smooth vessel for your water which isn't that improbable with glass measuring cups and heat water to a boiling temperature in the microwave it can become supercritical if there's no nucleation points for the water to begin the process of turning to a gas with and water stores heat energy well enough it can maintain that supercritical state for long enough to be a concern.
then if you agitate it enough or give it a surface like putting a spoon in or something for it to react to all that potential energy reacts at once and yes, basically releases a tiny explosion from the whole thing evenly boiling simultaneously.

if you just gotta boil water in the microwave in a glass vessel you can stick a wooden chopstick in it to give the water a rough surface to boil against and keep from being able to form a supercritical state.

hopefully you don't have to boil water in the microwave but whatever do what you gotta do

I'll elaborate on this one because it's a genuine safety issue even if it's very unlikely.
If you have a perfectly smooth vessel for your water which isn't that improbable with glass measuring cups and heat water to a boiling temperature in the microwave it can become supercritical if there's no nucleation points for the water to begin the process of turning to a gas with and water stores heat energy well enough it can maintain that supercritical state for long enough to be a concern.
then if you agitate it enough or give it a surface like putting a spoon in or something for it to react to all that potential energy reacts at once and yes, basically releases a tiny explosion from the whole thing evenly boiling simultaneously.

if you just gotta boil water in the microwave in a glass vessel you can stick a wooden chopstick in it to give the water a rough surface to boil against and keep from being able to form a supercritical state.

hopefully you don't have to boil water in the microwave but whatever do what you gotta do
tl;dr don't bottle your emotions because you will explode

I will now conduct what some people would call an experiment

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)