Pokémon Milotic

Status
Not open for further replies.
First time doing one of these, but feel free to lay on the constructive crits!

The ugly fish who became the most beautiful tank!

Pokedex Number: #350
Classification: Tender Pokémon
Type:

Base Stats: 95/60/79/100/125/81 [540 BST]
Ability 1: Marvel Scale - Boosts the Defense stat if the Pokémon has a status condition.
Ability 2: Competitive - Boosts the Sp. Atk stat when a stat is lowered.
DW Ability: Cute Charm - Contact with the Pokémon may cause infatuation.

Notable Moves: (Bold are STABs)
Scald
Ice Beam
Recover
Haze
Hydro Pump
Dragon Tail
Rest
Sleep Talk
Mirror Coat
Blizzard
Dragon Pulse
Toxic

General Overview
Milotic is, and has always been in my experience, a solid all around tank. 79 Defense may be a bit paltry, but she has a wonderful tool in the ability Marvel Scale, which boosts defense by 50% when statused. This, combined with good HP, incredible special defense, and the move recover gives Milotic incredible staying power. Scald's burn chance, Haze and Dragon Tail all combine to make Milotic the bane of setup sweepers everywhere.

Generation 6 has given her a new tool in the form of Competitive, which is basically Defiant: Special Attack edition. Suddenly Milotic can come in on Sticky Web and predicted Defogs and get an instant +2 SpA, making her that much more dangerous. Additionally, a revised sleep mechanic may lead to the return of her age old RestTalk set.

Potential Movesets

Physically Defensive

Milotic @ Leftovers
Abilty: Marvel Scale
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Recover
- Ice Beam
- Haze/Dragon Tail

With this set Milotic becomes a major hurdle for most setup sweepers. Scald is the go to STAB, packing decent power and a good chance to inflict burns. Ice Beam is also a good backup attack to provide some coverage against grass types and nails many powerful threats for SE, with some taking 4X damage! Recover is arguably the most important move on the set, allowing Milotic to stall out many crippled foes. Haze is there to erase stat boosts and prevent her from being set up on. Alternatively, Dragon Tail can be used to remove foes from the battlefield altogether, and possibly rack up hazard damage. However, with the prevalence of fairies, this isn't as effective as it used to be.

The Competitive
Suggested by Articblast

Milotic @ Assault Vest
Ability: Competitive
EVs: 220 HP / 252 SpA / 36 SpD
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Grass] / Hidden Power [Electric]
- Dragon Tail / Scald

Dragon Pulse is pretty much useless on Milotic - Water/Ice coverage hits everything except other Water-types, all of which are hit harder by a super effective Hidden Power (or in the case of Ludicolo, Ice Beam). Dragon Tail, meanwhile, gives it some utility beyond attacking, letting it take hits from some of the hardest hitting Special boosters in the game and phaze them out. The EVs are distributed to prevent a 2HKO from Scarf Rotom-W Thunderbolt after Stealth Rock while hitting as hard as possible. The leftover 36 can be placed in Defense for more general bulk, Speed for a little boost, or Special Defense to let it live stuff like this:
+3 252+ SpA Life Orb Volcarona Giga Drain vs. 220 HP / 36 SpD Assault Vest Milotic: 322-380 (83.4 - 98.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252+ SpA Life Orb Celebi Giga Drain vs. 220 HP / 36 SpD Assault Vest Milotic: 312-369 (80.8 - 95.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Solar Beam vs. 220 HP / 36 SpD Assault Vest Milotic: 164-194 (42.4 - 50.2%) -- 1.2% chance to 2HKO (a spread of 232 HP / 24 SpD prevents the 2HKO)

Checks and Counters
Bulky grass types in general are a decent check as they can take an ice beam and hit back hard. However, some of them might not like getting burned. Rotom-W is a great pain in the neck as Volt Switch is a guaranteed third of her health, and even more if it's a crit. Lucario is a very strong check as Close Combat OHKOs whether he's mega or not; however, he has to watch out for possible burns on the switch in. Strong special attackers packing Thunder are a very good answer as status doesn't bother them enough to stop them from getting the KO

Personal Opinion
I love Milotic! Used her all last gen with great success and look forward to using her again this gen. I tried using Dragon Tail again, but there were too many fairies, so I tried out Haze. That actually works even better because she stops most sweepers in their tracks. In my experience, she walls Gyarados to hell and back, and that's a team save if I've ever seen one. Competitive looks pretty neat, and can make all out attacking sets viable. Slap an assault vest on her and suddenly you've got a tank with emphasis on firepower. Speaking of Competitive, Milotic is looking to be the most viable user of it so far.

Let's get some discussion going. Does Milotic have what it takes to stay OU this gen? What are some good sets for Competitive? Have you noticed how everyone and their grandmother's Delcatty is asking for one or a Feebas on GTS?

Last edited:
I've always found Milotic quite viable, almost like a Vaporeon with a different movepool. It deserves more use than it gets. For a Competitive set, maybe this?
Offensive Assault Vest:

Milotic@Assault Vest
Ability:Competitive
EVs:252 HP, 252 SpA, 4 SpD
Nature:Modest
-Hydro Pump
-Ice Beam
-Dragon Pulse
-Surf/Scald

With this set, Milotic can come in on a Sticky Web or a Defog and have an instant stat boost. Hydro Pump provides main firepower, especially under rain if it's somehow set up. Ice Beam gets nice neutral coverage with Hydro Pump, freezing Grass Types and destroying Dragons. Dragon Pulse is neutral coverage, and Milotic's movepool is kind of lacking so it's one of the few viable moves. Surf and Scald is backup water STAB since Hydro Pump has accuracy and PP issues, it's up to the choice between more power or a 30% burn chance. EVs because it's a bulky attacker.

Now, IMO the Assault Vest is really lackluster because Milotic has a poor offensive movepool. Another option for using Competitive could be this:

Milotic@Leftovers?
EVs: 252 HP, 252 SpA, 4 SpD
-Hydro Pump/Surf/Scald
-Ice Beam
Dragon Pulse
-Hypnosis

Water STAB is necessary; Hydro Pump is for power, Surf is for accuracy and PP, and Scald has that nifty 30% burn chance. Ice Beam and Dragon Pulse for coverage. Now, since this set is stopped cold by threats such as Azumarill, who resists everything, and Specially Defensive Fairies, Hypnosis is a good option to shut down a check or counter for a while, hopefully forcing some switches or buying turns for Milotic's team. EVs for a bulky attacker.

To be perfectly honest Milotic didn't get anything new this gen and was only UU last gen, therefore I suspect it would be in a similar position this gen and will remain as a niche pokemon in ou, only just being used on a minority of teams and with the debuff of dragon type moves its phasing abilities are almost gone as you stated previously, so overall its only something you use if you really want to.

Edit: Competitive could give it a different niche in the metagame, but as previously stated, I doubt it will go above UU

I may be alone on this but I'm expecting for Will-O-Wisp this gen so maybe she can switch in and take a burn and bump her defenses with Marvel Scale. Intimidate may also be more common so Competitive might not be a bad choice either, however, I agree with ShadowThreat, I don't see her becoming OU, still a great Pokemon though!

Resttalk will probably make a return, due to the return of the old Sleep Mechanics. She'll be a decent wall, but still outclassed by a lot of mons. She'll be fine in UU or RU if the powercreep is too high in UU now.

Agonist

how can I feel existential dread, it's my fear
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Cute Charm becomes Competitive now. I don't know if it will just change for Pokebanked Milotic, but any HA Feebas will become Comeptitive upon transfer, and evolution.

Actually, Competitive isn't a Hidden ablity, and she can still have Cute Charm.

I think a tank set with recover, scald, ice beam/toxic and maybe dragon tail with competitive may be interesting in a stall or semistall team that relies on hazard damage. Since this kind of team struggles against defoggers, the mere presence of a bulky water that can boost its special attack with only a bit of prediction will mantain a nice psichological warfare. If there isn't a defog user, you can still use it to spread scald burns and tank special hits with her amazing SpD and recover, but if there is you can play mindgames in order to turn your defensive bulky water in a powerful menace. Dragon tail would be nice in this set in order to stack hazard damage, and also may bring to scene those pesky intimidators. Of course if that's the case, or if there is sticky web on the field, you can proceed to a powerful bulky offense.

Forretress, Ferrothorn, Klefki and Skarmory are weak to fire attacks, are really unbreakable phisical walls (complementing Milotic's special defense) and can easily stack hazards. Ferrothorn resists both Milotic weakness, but then you should probably need another mon that resist fighting attacks. Skarmory is quite nice, but both Milotic and him are weak to electric attacks, so the sinergy is less perfect. Chesnaugth can be an interesting couple, having spikes, recovering, overall phisical bulk and resistance to electric and grass attacks. Milotic would help in this case with fire and ice resistance. Although he also has special bulk, Roserade could also be a nice partner, with access to spikes and toxic spikes and covering milotic weaknesses. Drapion has a pretty decent defense, grass resistance and access to toxic spikes, so he may be a decent partner, too. Of course, SR can be used by a ton of pokes and many of them may make a good team with Milotic (for instance Steelix, Celebi, Bronzong, Clefable, Nidoqueen, Heatran, Cobalion, Deoxys, Hippowdon, Donphan...). Tangrowth lacks hazards, but is notable for its incredible phisical defense, grass and electric resistance, regenerator and really nice support movepool. Same goes for Trevenant, Gourgeist and M-Venusaur.

The main problem I see is that your "sweeping" power is based mainly in scald, a nice move with a not-so-nice base power (although the idea is to weaken the enemy with your hazards, so it may be enougth). The idea here is to build a stall team and have a semioffensive milotic as a backup plan and as a warning against defoggers. Against teams without defog, sticky web or intimidate, Milotic is just an average bulky water (Well, he has better special bulk than tentacruel, so its pretty decent, actually) with the ability to phaze with dragon tail. Unfortunately she has a really small movepool, so she has the risk to become predictable. Without toxic she's walled by other bulky waters, and without ice beam dragons and grass types can stop her even with its SpA boosted. With 81 of speed, she may be easily revenge killed by powerful phisical attackers, and changing would ruin your boosts. Her partners should be able to stack hazards many times in a battle in order to capitalize the qualities. Overall, is a very niche strategy, but I think it may be perfectly viable and a good option for stall/semi stall teams.

I think a tank set with recover, scald, ice beam/toxic and maybe dragon tail with competitive may be interesting in a stall or semistall team that relies on hazard damage. Since this kind of team struggles against defoggers, the mere presence of a bulky water that can boost its special attack with only a bit of prediction will mantain a nice psichological warfare. If there isn't a defog user, you can still use it to spread scald burns and tank special hits with her amazing SpD and recover, but if there is you can play mindgames in order to turn your defensive bulky water in a powerful menace. Dragon tail would be nice in this set in order to stack hazard damage, and also may bring to scene those pesky intimidators. Of course if that's the case, or if there is sticky web on the field, you can proceed to a powerful bulky offense.
Those are some good points, how an opponent trying to get rid of hazards can instead benefit you.

Overall seems inferior to Suicune. Cune has 100/115/115 defenses and with scald/roar/resttalk looks like he would outclass Milotic as a tanky phazer. Also, the CM set makes him a better tanky attacker who can potentially sweep teams, especially since water absorb pokes like Jellicent are a lot rarer.

I could see Suicune going OU once shit like Kanga and Lucario gets banned, but Milotic seems UU still.

Overall seems inferior to Suicune. Cune has 100/115/115 defenses and with scald/roar/resttalk looks like he would outclass Milotic as a tanky phazer. Also, the CM set makes him a better tanky attacker who can potentially sweep teams, especially since water absorb pokes like Jellicent are a lot rarer.

I could see Suicune going OU once shit like Kanga and Lucario gets banned, but Milotic seems UU still.
95/79/120 becomes 95/145/120 for statused physically defensive(which will necessarily be common on a resttalk set) Milotic compared to 100/115/115, I'd say that Milotic has plenty of a niche. Couple that with 10 extra sAtt and access to Recover.

Last edited:
As my username implies, I love Milotic, and specifically, a Haze Milotic. It was a great counter for all of the boosting Pokemon last generation who never really expected it, and it has high enough Special Attack to put some seriously heavy dents in other Pokemon. I don't think it's going to be an OU Pokemon with Suicune around, but it can still excel at it's job if Suicune isn't a fit for your team.

As my username implies, I love Milotic, and specifically, a Haze Milotic. It was a great counter for all of the boosting Pokemon last generation who never really expected it, and it has high enough Special Attack to put some seriously heavy dents in other Pokemon. I don't think it's going to be an OU Pokemon with Suicune around, but it can still excel at it's job if Suicune isn't a fit for your team.
Curiosity, why haze over dragon tail? Milotic's also my absolute favorite, and I always used dragon tail, it was perfect when they switched I could read it, doubling SR/spikes damage. Or just forcing out something threatening and scalding, passing burns around. Plus rest talking dragon tail was beautiful on skipping their turns

Only thing I can think of is bulky substitutes

Curiosity, why haze over dragon tail? Milotic's also my absolute favorite, and I always used dragon tail, it was perfect when they switched I could read it, doubling SR/spikes damage. Or just forcing out something threatening and scalding, passing burns around. Plus rest talking dragon tail was beautiful on skipping their turns

There are also fairies which are immune to Dragon Tail now.

95/79/120 becomes 95/145/120 for statused physically defensive(which will necessarily be common on a resttalk set) Milotic compared to 100/115/115, I'd say that Milotic has plenty of a niche. Couple that with 10 extra sAtt and access to Recover.
Sleeptalk Milotic is relying on dragon tail to phaze, meaning fairies wall you, and is only bulkier while asleep. 10 special attack means nothing when Suicune gets CM and can boost very easily.

Sleeptalk Milotic is relying on dragon tail to phaze, meaning fairies wall you, and is only bulkier while asleep. 10 special attack means nothing when Suicune gets CM and can boost very easily.
Wouldn't your last move be Scald, if you're running Dragon Tail/Rest/Sleep talk. I highly doubt an Azumarill or Mawile would like to come into that and get burn. Also why would you stay in on a Togekiss and let it get free Nasty plots or let Klefki set up Spikes?

Also hi Aqua ^_^

Wouldn't your last move be Scald, if you're running Dragon Tail/Rest/Sleep talk. I highly doubt an Azumarill or Mawile would like to come into that and get burn. Also why would you stay in on a Togekiss and let it get free Nasty plots or let Klefki set up Spikes?

Also hi Aqua ^_^
You wouldn't stay in, but once people see your set they can switch straight to their fairy and stop your dragon tail. If you use Suicune as a phaser, you don't have that disadvantage. This is all pretty negligible though. Resttalk phazing sucks without lots of hazards, and it's very hard, if not impossible, to get lots of hazards up in the current meta. The attacker Milotic is probably the better set, and that is still outclassed by calm mind Suicune.

The only time I would use a rest talk phaser is on something like Gyarados, who uses phazing not as a way to deal damage but to stop set up sweepers. Because Gyarados switches into a lot of things, it makes sense to use him like that; those setup sweepers could break through him without dragon tail, while they get walled by him without boosts. Milotic doesn't really wall things very well except for other waters not named Manaphy, and dragon tail in Milotic's case (as well as roar in Suicune's case) is mostly for forcing the other team to take hazard damage.

Last Generation I used Haze Milotic to just tear through Moxie Salamence, Swords Dance Garchomp, and DD Dragonite. No one (for some odd reason) thought I had Ice Beam, which tended to OHKO, but Haze was a shocker too.

I think I ran Scald, Ice Beam, Recover, and Haze w/ Leftovers

I think that a RestTalk Milotic set with scald and dragon tail or ice beam, is still very viable in the metagame. It may not be the best wall for OU which is full of power creeps thanks to M-Evo, but it will definitely remain one of the premier bulky water types in UU.

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I've always found Milotic quite viable, almost like a Vaporeon with a different movepool. It deserves more use than it gets. For a Competitive set, maybe this?
Offensive Assault Vest:

Milotic @ Assault Vest
EVs:252 HP, 252 SpA, 4 SpD
-Hydro Pump
-Ice Beam
-Dragon Pulse
-Surf/Scald

With this set, Milotic can come in on a Sticky Web or a Defog and have an instant stat boost. Hydro Pump provides main firepower, especially under rain if it's somehow set up. Ice Beam gets nice neutral coverage with Hydro Pump, freezing Grass Types and destroying Dragons. Dragon Pulse is neutral coverage, and Milotic's movepool is kind of lacking so it's one of the few viable moves. Surf and Scald is backup water STAB since Hydro Pump has accuracy and PP issues, it's up to the choice between more power or a 30% burn chance. EVs because it's a bulky attacker.

Now, IMO the Assault Vest is really lackluster because Milotic has a poor offensive movepool.
I think that as far as Competitive Milotic goes, Assault Vest has some nice potential. The set I quoted doesn't exactly seem ideal though - here's what I'd run:

Milotic @ Assault Vest
EVs: 36 SDef / 220 HP / 252 SAtk
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Dragon Tail / Scald

Dragon Pulse is pretty much useless on Milotic - Water/Ice coverage hits everything except other Water-types, all of which are hit harder by a super effective Hidden Power (or in the case of Ludicolo, Ice Beam). Dragon Tail, meanwhile, gives it some utility beyond attacking, letting it take hits from some of the hardest hitting Special boosters in the game and phaze them out. The EVs are distributed to prevent a 2HKO from Scarf Rotom-W Thunderbolt after Stealth Rock while hitting as hard as possible. The leftover 36 can be placed in Defense for more general bulk, Speed for a little boost, or Special Defense to let it live stuff like this:
+3 252+ SpA Life Orb Volcarona Giga Drain vs. 220 HP / 36 SpD Assault Vest Milotic: 322-380 (83.4 - 98.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252+ SpA Life Orb Celebi Giga Drain vs. 220 HP / 36 SpD Assault Vest Milotic: 312-369 (80.8 - 95.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Solar Beam vs. 220 HP / 36 SpD Assault Vest Milotic: 164-194 (42.4 - 50.2%) -- 1.2% chance to 2HKO (a spread of 232 HP / 24 SpD prevents the 2HKO)

As for other offensive Milotic sets (defensive Milotic is boring), the only other thing I can see being viable is a Recover + LO set:
Milotic @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Recover

Gives it a bit more bite with Life Orb and occasionally the chance to heal off the damage akin to offensive Latias in BW, although it doesn't have the sheer defensive prowess of Assault Vest.

Let's keep in mind that we don't yet know the full extent of Milotic's movepool this generation. It wouldn't surprise me at all if she were able to learn Moonblast through leveling up, or Dazzling Gleam via TM.

I'm having a hard time settling for Assault Vest on Milotic -and I love AV on everything-, because you have to give up Recover. It might be the best choice for offensive sets, but it doesn't feel right.

I think that with Competitive Milotic will have a new leash on life, it will become an spin-blocker of sorts against Defog, essentially punishing your opponent harshly from removing hazards. It outspeeds Scizor in case he carries Defog, it resists Bullet Punch and it can hit many defogers with Ice Beam for super efective damage.

Milotic @ Assault Vest
EVs: 36 SDef / 220 HP / 252 SAtk
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Dragon Tail / Scald

Gonna put this in the OP if you don't mind.

Also Hi Alice. :)

EDIT: In my experience, I've found Milotic to be very good against Scizor. Scald does a decent amount of damage, and he doesn't like getting a burn at all. The fairies are a bit trickier though. I think Azumarill outspeeds you so you might want to try hazing away his Belly Drum boost and basically cutting him down to half HP. With Mawile, I think you have one chance to stop her before she goes crazy. Definite switch out if you're lacking HP fire though.

Last edited:
Gonna put this in the OP if you don't mind.

Also Hi Alice. :)

EDIT: In my experience, I've found Milotic to be very good against Scizor. Scald does a decent amount of damage, and he doesn't like getting a burn at all. The fairies are a bit trickier though. I think Azumarill outspeeds you so you might want to try hazing away his Belly Drum boost and basically cutting him down to half HP. With Mawile, I think you have one chance to stop her before she goes crazy. Definite switch out if you're lacking HP fire though.
Why would you run Hp Fire on Milotic? Hp Fire is only 120 after the x2 to Mawile which is the same base power as Scald, but without a 30% chance to burn. If you're talking about Hp Fire for Scizor, I still wouldn't use it.

Why would you run Hp Fire on Milotic? Hp Fire is only 120 after the x2 to Mawile which is the same base power as Scald, but without a 30% chance to burn. If you're talking about Hp Fire for Scizor, I still wouldn't use it.
HP Fire on water-types is basically just coverage for Ferrothorn though it doesn't hurt to hit Scizor/Forretress/Abomasnow as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)