OU Minior

Mention in Set Details just running Max Speed w/ a Jolly Nature. This lets you, without entering Core form, outspeed Scarf Lele, Pheromosa, Scarf Landorus-Therian, and Scarf Excadrill.

Deslash Rock Slide, Explosion, and Substitute. Earthquake is incredibly important and I don't think it'd be worth running any of those over it. Mention Substitute in Set Details, probably run it over Stone Edge, but don't mention the others in Set Details.

1/3
Someone with more experience can decide whether or not this is necessary, but you could mention pheromosa separately, as you only need 180 ev's with a positive nature to outspeed pheromosa in meteor form, outspeeding it by one point exactly.

GMars

It's ya boy GEEEEEEEEMARS
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
First of all, I'd like to start out by saying that I'm quite new to actually playing competitively, and mostly used to spectating and reading. Considering myself a breeder by trade, I don't have much in-game knowledge as to what I prefer to counter when laying out my EV spreads. You really have done your homework, GMars! I have spent the last few days reading all your calculations and playing with a few of my own. The problem is, though, that I don't really tend to play on showdown, but in-game. With the pokemon set to LVL. 50, it takes a bit of adjustment to maximize the spreads you've laid out, particularly for a noob like me.

Since I'm determined to make the most out of this little guy, do you have any suggestions as to how the spread should be made? I'm just so torn between whether or not to use Power Gem, because you make so many convincing arguments for both sides. Personally, I really like the accuracy and special coverage, but it's looking like all around, Stone Edge has the upper hand. Would I really lose out on much if I simply go with -0 SPA investment, should I choose to change it up?
So the main things you want to keep constant are speed tier and maximizing offense. Speed tier I've been running is to outspeed Tapu Koko after a shell smash in shields-up. Tapu Koko his 200 speed at level 50, so you want to hit 101 in shields-up form. Then maximize attack, put the rest into HP to get the highest number divisible by 4 you can, then split the remaining amount between defense and special defense, making sure defense >= special defense for download Genesect.

Level 50 is a double-edged sword for Minior. Because of the way HP scales, attacks tend to do more damage. This means that as a sweeper, offensive rolls go into your favor. However, when you're trying to set up against certain attacks, the rolls start to hurt you. For example:

Level 100:

0 SpA Rotom-Wash Hydro Pump vs. 76 HP / 4 SpD Minior: 246-290 (87.8 - 103.5%) -- 25% chance to OHKO

Level 50:

0 SpA Rotom-Wash Hydro Pump vs. 76 HP / 4 SpD Minior: 132-156 (91 - 107.5%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO

Might not seem like a lot, but it's like the difference between landing Hypnosis and landing Jynx's Lovely Kiss.

When you've got rocks up at level 100, here's what you couldn't kill with power gem compared to stone edge, using -0 SpAtk:
  • Bulky Wisp Zard-X (but you beat it 1v1)
  • Gyarados
  • Kyurem
  • Kyurem-Black
  • Mandibuzz
  • Togekiss
  • Victini
  • Zapdos
Nothing much changes at level 50, except you get a slight roll to kill gyarados.

+2 0- SpA Minior Power Gem vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Charizard-Mega-X: 236-278 (65.7 - 77.4%) -- 25% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

+2 0- SpA Minior Power Gem vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Charizard-Mega-X: 126-150 (68.4 - 81.5%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

+2 0- SpA Minior Power Gem vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Gyarados: 204-242 (61.6 - 73.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

+2 0- SpA Minior Power Gem vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Gyarados: 110-132 (64.7 - 77.6%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

If you want to run 28 investment in special attack and sacrifice your Special Defense, you can ohko gyarados after stealth rock. Or, you can run 76 and ohko Kyurem-B after stealth rock. You lose out on the ability to setup on mons like Rotom-Wash, but this is already tough to do when you're playing at level 50.

tl;dr: -0 spatk won't hurt you bad, you just have to know which mons you need to chip more than just rocks before attempting a sweep. You can invest more into SpAtk in exchange for a few setup targets, but they already deal more damage at Level 50 so it can be tough to setup vs them regardless. Comes down to team composition and personal preference

Here's a bunch of sets for you to try out:

Minior-Meteor @ White Herb
Ability: Shields Down
Level: 50
EVs: 68 HP / 252 Atk / 12 Def / 12 SpD / 164 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Shell Smash
- Acrobatics
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

Adamant Nature
- Shell Smash
- Acrobatics
- Earthquake
- Power Gem

EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def / 84 SpA / 164 Spe
Naughty Nature
- Shell Smash
- Acrobatics
- Earthquake
- Power Gem

Adamant Nature
- Shell Smash
- Acrobatics
- Earthquake
- Substitute

Also, remember when you're running power gem that you can struggle versus celesteela, so pack good support for weakening that.

Last edited:
So the main things you want to keep constant are speed tier and maximizing offense. Speed tier I've been running is to outspeed Tapu Koko after a shell smash in shields-up. Tapu Koko his 200 speed at level 50, so you want to hit 101 in shields-up form. Then maximize attack, put the rest into HP to get the highest number divisible by 4 you can, then split the remaining amount between defense and special defense, making sure defense >= special defense for download Genesect.

Level 50 is a double-edged sword for Minior. Because of the way HP scales, attacks tend to do more damage. This means that as a sweeper, offensive rolls go into your favor. However, when you're trying to set up against certain attacks, the rolls start to hurt you. For example:

Level 100:

0 SpA Rotom-Wash Hydro Pump vs. 76 HP / 4 SpD Minior: 246-290 (87.8 - 103.5%) -- 25% chance to OHKO

Level 50:

0 SpA Rotom-Wash Hydro Pump vs. 76 HP / 4 SpD Minior: 132-156 (91 - 107.5%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO

Might not seem like a lot, but it's like the difference between landing Hypnosis and landing Jynx's Lovely Kiss.

When you've got rocks up at level 100, here's what you couldn't kill with power gem compared to stone edge, using -0 SpAtk:
  • Bulky Wisp Zard-X (but you beat it 1v1)
  • Gyarados
  • Kyurem
  • Kyurem-Black
  • Mandibuzz
  • Togekiss
  • Victini
  • Zapdos
Nothing much changes at level 50, except you get a slight roll to kill gyarados.

+2 0- SpA Minior Power Gem vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Charizard-Mega-X: 236-278 (65.7 - 77.4%) -- 25% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

+2 0- SpA Minior Power Gem vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Charizard-Mega-X: 126-150 (68.4 - 81.5%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

+2 0- SpA Minior Power Gem vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Gyarados: 204-242 (61.6 - 73.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

+2 0- SpA Minior Power Gem vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Gyarados: 110-132 (64.7 - 77.6%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

If you want to run 28 investment in special attack and sacrifice your Special Defense, you can ohko gyarados after stealth rock. Or, you can run 76 and ohko Kyurem-B after stealth rock. You lose out on the ability to setup on mons like Rotom-Wash, but this is already tough to do when you're playing at level 50.

tl;dr: -0 spatk won't hurt you bad, you just have to know which mons you need to chip more than just rocks before attempting a sweep. You can invest more into SpAtk in exchange for a few setup targets, but they already deal more damage at Level 50 so it can be tough to setup vs them regardless. Comes down to team composition and personal preference

Here's a bunch of sets for you to try out:

Adamant Nature
- Shell Smash
- Acrobatics
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

Adamant Nature
- Shell Smash
- Acrobatics
- Earthquake
- Power Gem

EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def / 84 SpA / 164 Spe
Naughty Nature
- Shell Smash
- Acrobatics
- Earthquake
- Power Gem

Adamant Nature
- Shell Smash
- Acrobatics
- Earthquake
- Substitute

Also, remember when you're running power gem that you can struggle versus celesteela, so pack good support for weakening that.
Wow, thank you so much for the long and detailed reply! I'm actually learning a lot from this I never knew about competitive battling. Particularly that the HP scaling can shift things in such a way. I'll be sure to study these long and hard!

A few more questions for me, though.
Firstly, is a Naïve nature spread still relevant? I had studied up your calcs in other discussions suggesting it. Or is Adamant/Naughty the most viable, would you say? Since you can fairly easily EV your way into our speeding all but a few scarf users.
Secondly, (and I am sure this is basic info I haven't simply found yet) what determines the minimum and maximum damage for a calculation? I always thought that there is supposed to be a set amount of damage done. Is it simply RNG how much an attack might do between two pokemon?

I'd like to thank you again for all your help and I hope to battle soon!

Wow, thank you so much for the long and detailed reply! I'm actually learning a lot from this I never knew about competitive battling. Particularly that the HP scaling can shift things in such a way. I'll be sure to study these long and hard!

A few more questions for me, though.
Firstly, is a Naïve nature spread still relevant? I had studied up your calcs in other discussions suggesting it. Or is Adamant/Naughty the most viable, would you say? Since you can fairly easily EV your way into our speeding all but a few scarf users.
Secondly, (and I am sure this is basic info I haven't simply found yet) what determines the minimum and maximum damage for a calculation? I always thought that there is supposed to be a set amount of damage done. Is it simply RNG how much an attack might do between two pokemon?

I'd like to thank you again for all your help and I hope to battle soon!
  1. A Naive nature is not necessary because you can simply put in the necessary speed EVs to outspeed key threats after a shell smash. The nature gives the most significant contributions to a stat, so you want to boost the stat you're going to rely on the most, namely Attack. You also don't really want to sacrifice defenses unless you want more power from Power Gem, so Adamant is usually preferred over Naughty.
  2. After all of the damage modifiers are factored into the damage formula, the final result is multiplied by a random number between 0.85 and 1 and rounded down to the nearest integer, and this is the amount of damage a move would do. This is pretty much the definition of RNG.
Also, as you're a new member, in the future, I suggest posting these kinds of questions in the Simple Questions/Simple Answers page. This thread is mainly used by me and other contributors to help figure out what is optimal to run on Minior competitively, and as the QC team looks at what is written and what was commented, having to look past four comments (both of yours, GMars', and mine) every time which have little relevance to a level 100 analysis and could have been answered just as well in SQSA is rather inconvenient on their part.
But other than that, welcome to Smogon! I hope to see you on the ladder soon.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Overview

• Make sure all opposing checks and counters are taken care of before sending it out
You can't always guarantee this. Instead, i'd reword it so that the player should attempt to take care of its checks and counters. +2 Minior can still mess up its checks in the lategame if they're weakened (barring priority users).

• It can also be sent in earlier to put dents in the opposing team as opposed to outright knocking things out, but given its relative frailty, this is generally not advised
I'd also note that it's Stealth Rock weak too, so sending it out early is an extremely bad idea.

Set Details

• Shell Smash allows Minior to outspeed pretty much anything outside of the fastest of scarfers, so really all that needs investment is HP and Attack
Only in its core form. It loses to Pheromosa and standard Scarfers without the Jolly spread.

Focus Sash might be worth mentioning in the set details. There are countless Pokemon that still knock you out after a White Herb recovery, and it guarantees you're in Core form after a strong hit.

Team Options

• Alolan Marowak and its Lightning Rod help against the likes of Tapu Koko and Xurkitree
Both of these Pokemon get wrecked at +2 so it's unnecessary to mention them, and the goal isn't to set up on either.
  • Memento support from Dugtrio is worth mentioning.
  • SR support is basically mandatory since you need that bit of prior damage in order to OHKO stuff.
  • Make sure to specify the physically defensive variant.
  • Magnezone needs to be stressed as a great teammate since removing Mega Scizor is arguably almost integral to this set's success.
  • Aurora Veil support from Ninetales
  • Rotom-W is a great teammate due to resisting Ice-type and Electric-type moves, and helping stop common priority users like Mega Metagross and Mamoswine
Checks and Counters

**Electric-types**: Strong Electric-type Pokémon, like Tapu Koko and Xurkitree, can generally outspeed Minior before it Shell Smashes and OHKO with a strong move. Tapu Koko in particular is dangerous because its Electric Terrain can make other, weaker Electric-types more threatening.
I don't really like this entry because it implies a 1v1 matchup against Minior. If they switch in, they lose because f Minior is out it's always Shell Smashing. Electric-types weren't typically mentioned as counters to Cloyster for that very reason.

**Bulky Steel-types**: Celesteela and Scizor do not appreciate taking repeated hits from a boosted Minior; however, they can set up and/or stall out a few turns of the sweep, and possibly retaliate with their respective hard-hitting Steel-type moves.
Skarmory needs to be mentioned and you should mention Mega Scizor instead of Scizor.

**Bulky Water-types**: Gastrodon, Physically Rotom-W, and Azumarill, while unable to safely switch in, can either take a single hit while already on the field and retaliate with a water-type move, or, in the latter's case, can take out Minior with an Aqua Jet and hazard damage.
It's the other way around. These Pokemon are switching into Minior immediately if finds an opportunity to set up since its unboosted damage is weak.

You need to add physically defensive Pokemon as checks and counters. Hippowdon can switch in, tank literally anything at +2 and Whirlwind it out. Physically defensive Rotom-W is capable of taking +2 Stone Edge and threatening with a KO with either of its STABs. Ferrothorn can take +2 Acrobatics and knock it out with Gyro Ball, Quagsire flat out ignores boosts, defensive Landorus-T can immediately switch in and lower its defensive boosts to +1 and threaten with Stone Edge.

Faster Pokemon need an entry as well. Pheromosa (regular and Scarf), Scarf Genesect, Scarf Chomp, Scarf Excadrill and Scarf Tapu Lele can outspeed +2 Meteor Minior, though obviously all of these Pokemon barring Pheromosa are outrun at +2.

PK Gaming Thanks for your input! I made all the changes you suggested and changed around some of the wordings of some sections to make it flow better. I assume you implied the physically defensive variant of the quoted Rotom-W bullet.

So, I don't mean to double post, but as the Minior thread in uncharted territory got locked, I'm guessing it's not viable in OU anymore?

earl

(EVIOLITE COMPATIBLE)
is a Community Contributor
So, I don't mean to double post, but as the Minior thread in uncharted territory got locked, I'm guessing it's not viable in OU anymore?
Is that how it works? The pyukumuku thread is still up and that's not viable

p2

Banned deucer.

[OVERVIEW]
+ Access to Shell Smash, Acrobatics, and nice offensive stats in Core Form gives rise to a sweeping role
+ Immunity to status in Meteor Form helps prevent it from being crippled while setting up
+ Various coverage options make it slightly harder to play around
- Defenses are rather lackluster, even in Meteor Form, and its typing is less-than optimal defensively
- Form is dependent entirely upon HP, which is hard to control on the player's part
- Weak to common priority moves, and unprotected by Psychic Terrain

[SET]
name: Shell Smash Sweeper
move 1: Shell Smash
move 2: Acrobatics
move 3: Stone Edge / Power Gem / Rock Slide
move 4: Earthquake / Substitute / Explosion
item: White Herb
nature: Adamant/Naughty
evs: 76 HP/252 Atk/8 Def/4 SpD/168 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
  • Shell Smash gives tremendous boosts to its offensive stats
  • +2 Actobatics after White Herb is consumed deals considerable damage to anything that doesn't resist it
  • Stone Edge is strong secondary STAB, Power Gem hits hard on the special side; Power Gem is notable being stronger against Skarmory and Landorus-T, whereas Stone Edge can hit Pokémon like Celesteela and Rotom-W
  • Earthquake provides solid coverage for things that STABs don't hit in the form of the famed EdgeQuake coverage.

where are the other moves (power gem / rock slide / sub / explosion) if it's slashed or a noteworthy move, it needs to be mentioned here
Set Details
========
  • Shell Smash allows Core Form Minior to outspeed pretty much anything outside of Pheromosa and the fastest of scarfers, so really all that needs investment is HP and Attack
  • The EVs are customizable to an extent, depending on what you need to outspeed and survive. An Adamant Nature is usually preferred over Naughty unless Minior is running Power Gem, as with the bulk that it has, you want it to keep as much of its defenses as you can.
  • The above set lets you outspeed Max speed Tapu Koko after a Shell Smash in Meteor Form, maximizes your main STAB, and dumps the rest of the EVs into bulk. The odd setup of defensive EVs is to make sure that Minior's HP is divisible by four, so that two hits of Stealth Rock or Stealth Rock and Substitute will automatically put it in Core Form, while maintaining the damage calculations of simply running 88 HP EVs
  • A set of 172 HP/84 Spe could be run in order to outspeed neutral speed Volcanion before a smash and Thundurus afterward, and the HP allows you to survive Adamant Lando-T's Stone Edge and Celesteela's Heavy Slam, all in Meteor Form
  • For all sets, if running Power Gem, the HP EVs could instead be put into SpA to increase its power, and Naughty would be preferred over Adamant. A simpler EV spread of 12 HP/252 Atk/76 SpA/168 Spe would suffice for this variant
  • If you want a simple EV spread, 252 EVs in Speed and a Jolly Nature will let you outspeed Pheromosa and Choice Scarf Lando-T, Tapu Lele, and Excadrill after a Shell Smash, all in Meteor Form
  • Focus Sash is an option to consider if you want to survive a strong hit, get into Core Form, and hit harder back. This, however, makes it harder to properly control, as it must ensure its sash will break to get the full power from Acrobatics.
  • Substitute is also an option to consider over Stone Edge; while not adding to Minior's coverage, when combined with Stealth Rock, it allows Minior to chip down right into its Core Form, while keeping its immunity to Status for the time being
Usage Tips
========
  • This is meant to be a late-game sweeper, taking care of the opposing team once it gets a chance to set up and everything has been weakened to an extent
  • Try to get rid of its checks and counters before sending it out, but if they're sufficiently weakened, Minior can still clean them up after setting up
  • Given its frailty and Stealth Rock weakness, do not try to send this in too early, or its cleaning abilities will be greatly compromised
Team Options
========
  • Steel-types like Magnezone, Metagross, and Excadrill help cover its Rock and Ice-type weaknesses. Magnezone is especially useful for getting rid of Mega Scizor, a major threat to its sweep, along with other Steel-types like Celesteela, Skarmory, and Ferrothorn
  • Physically Defensive Rotom-W is a great teammate, resisting Ice-type and Electric-type moves and helping stop common priority users like Mega Metagross and Mamoswine
  • As Minior is meant to OHKO everything that's left, Stealth Rock setters like Mamoswine are almost a necessity.
  • Memento from Dugtrio or Aurora Veil from Alolan Ninetales are things to consider if you want a way to lower your opponent's offensive power to make it easier for Minior to set up and sweep.
no hazard removal?? no blanket checks for water / electric types?
[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============
  • Suicide Lead with Stealth Rock, but it is generally outclassed by things like Mega Aerodactyl and azelf
  • Double-Edge could be used if you want to knock yourself into Core Form rather than having your opponent do it for you. If you're faster than the opponent, however, you may end up having to take a hit with lowered defenses, which is not something you'd want to do
Checks and Counters
===================

**Priority**: Priority attacks are relatively common, and Ice Shard, Bullet Punch, and Aqua Jet are all super effective against Minior. Minior cannot be protected by Psychic Terrain, so these priority attacks are all capable of deterring Minior after it has been weakened.

**Speed**: Fast Pokémon that can outspeed a boosted Minior while it is still in Meteor Form, such as Pheromosa and Choice Scarf Tapu Lele, Excadrill, and Garchomp, can all hit back with a strong move and potentially end a sweep before it has even begun.

**Bulky Steel-types**: Skarmory, Celesteela, and Mega Scizor do not appreciate taking repeated hits from a boosted Minior; however, they can set up and/or stall out a few turns of the sweep, and, in the case of the latter two, possibly retaliate with their respective hard-hitting Steel-type moves.

**Bulky Water-types**: Gastrodon, Physically Rotom-W, and Azumarill can all safely switch in as Minior Shell Smashes, take a hit, and retaliate with a Water-type move.

**Physically Defensive Pokémon**: Hippowdon, Rotom-W, and Ferrothorn are capable of taking even its strongest hits and either phazing it out or retaliating with an OHKO of their own. Quagsire just ignores all of its boosts, and Landorus-T lowers Minior's Attack and threatens with a Stone Edge of its own.

**Stealth Rock**: While Minior appreciates anything that can get it closer to Core Form, Stealth Rock is still going to take out a large portion of its HP, and this can put it into range of an OHKO it might have otherwise avoided.
you also never implemented tdk's check fully when he said to deslash rock slide / power gem / explosion, remember to do that
2/3

P Squared

a great unrecorded history
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

assuming aegislash-esque forme name standard

GP 1/1
add remove

[OVERVIEW]
* Minior's access to Shell Smash, Acrobatics, and nice offensive stats in Core forme gives rise to a sweeping role.
* Immunity to status in Meteor forme helps prevent it from being crippled while setting up.
* It has quite a useable coverage movepool at its disposal, which slightly increases its versatility.
* Its defenses are rather lackluster, even in Meteor forme, and its typing is less than optimal defensively.
* The forme it takes on is dependent entirely upon HP, which is hard to control on the player's part.
* It is weak to common priority moves, and, being unprotected by Psychic Terrain, it is not too difficult to revenge kill.

[SET]
name: Shell Smash Sweeper
move 1: Shell Smash
move 2: Acrobatics
move 3: Stone Edge
move 4: Earthquake
item: White Herb
nature: Jolly
evs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

* Shell Smash gives tremendous boosts to its Minior's offensive stats, though at the cost of its defenses.
* +2 Acrobatics after White Herb is consumed deals considerable damage to anything that does not resist it.
* Stone Edge is a strong secondary STAB move that hits Celesteela and Rotom-W harder than any of its other Rock-type moves.
* Earthquake provides solid coverage against foes things that Minior's STAB moves don't hit in the form of the famed EdgeQuake coverage.

Set Details
========

* 252 Attack EVs ensure Minior hits everything as hard as it can, and its Attack is augmented even further after a Shell Smash.
* 252 EVs in Speed and a Jolly nature will let Minior outspeed Pheromosa and Choice Scarf Landorus-T, Tapu Lele, and Excadrill after a Shell Smash, all in Meteor forme.
* A set spread of 172 HP / 84 Spe could be run in order to outspeed everything up to and including neutral-natured speed Volcanion before a Shell Smash and Thundurus afterward, and the HP allows Minior to survive Adamant Landorus-T's Stone Edge and Celesteela's Heavy Slam in Meteor forme.
* Focus Sash is useful if you want Minior to survive a strong hit, get into Core forme, and hit back harder. This, however, makes it harder to properly control, as it must ensure its Focus Sash will break to get the full power from Acrobatics.
* Substitute is also an option to consider over Stone Edge; while not adding to Minior's coverage, it allows Minior to chip down right into its Core forme after Stealth Rock damage, (RC) while keeping a pseudo-immunity to status.

Usage Tips
========

* This is meant to be a late-game sweeper, taking care of the opposing team once it gets a chance to set up and everything has been weakened to an extent.
* Try to get rid of its checks and counters before sending it out, but if they're sufficiently weakened, Minior can still clean them up after setting up.
* Given its frailty and Stealth Rock weakness, do not try to send this set in too early, or its cleaning abilities will be greatly compromised.

Team Options
========

* Steel-types like Magnezone, Metagross, and Excadrill help cover its Rock- and Ice-type weaknesses. Magnezone is especially useful for getting rid of Mega Scizor, a major threat to its sweep, along with other Steel-types like Celesteela, Skarmory, and Ferrothorn.
* Physically defensive Rotom-W is a great teammate, resisting Ice-type and Electric-type moves and helping stop common priority users like Mega Metagross and Mamoswine.
* Apart from Rotom-W, other blanket checks to Electric- and Water-types are appreciated, like Amoonguss, Ferrothorn, and Mega Venusaur.
* As Minior is meant to OHKO everything that's left, Stealth Rock setters like Mamoswine are almost a necessity.
* Memento from Dugtrio or Aurora Veil from Alolan Ninetales are things is something to consider if you want a way to lower the opposing team's your opponent's offensive power to make it easier for Minior to set up and sweep.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

* Minior can run a suicide lead set with Stealth Rock, but it is generally outclassed by Pokemon like Aerodactyl and Azelf.
* Double-Edge could be used if you want to knock Minior yourself into Core forme rather than having your opponent do it for you. If you're Minior is faster than the opponent's Pokemon, however, it you may end up having to take a hit with lowe#ff4da6 defenses, which is not something you'd want to do.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Priority**: Priority attacks are relatively common, and Ice Shard, Bullet Punch, and Aqua Jet are all super effective against Minior. Minior cannot be protected by Psychic Terrain, so these priority attacks are all capable of deterring Minior after it has been weakened.

**Speed**: Fast Pokemon that can outspeed a boosted Minior while it is still in Meteor forme, such as Pheromosa and Choice Scarf Tapu Lele, Excadrill, and Garchomp, can all hit back with a strong move and potentially end a sweep before it has even begun.

**Bulky Steel-types**: Skarmory, Celesteela, and Mega Scizor do not appreciate taking repeated hits from a boosted Minior; however, they can set up and/or stall out a few turns of the sweep, (RC) and, in the case of the latter two, possibly retaliate with their respective hard-hitting Steel-type moves.

**Bulky Water-types**: Gastrodon, physically defensive Rotom-W, and Azumarill can all safely switch in as Minior Shell Smashes, take a hit, and retaliate with a Water-type move.

**Physically Defensive Pokemon**: Hippowdon, Rotom-W, and Ferrothorn are capable of taking even its strongest hits and either phazing it out or retaliating with an OHKO of their own. Quagsire just ignores all of its boosts, and Landorus-T lowers Minior's Attack and threatens with a Stone Edge of its own.

**Stealth Rock**: While Minior appreciates anything that can get it closer to Core forme, Stealth Rock is still going to take out a large portion of its HP, and this can put it into range of an OHKO it might have otherwise avoided.

Last edited:
P Squared Thanks for the check! For the team options bullet starting with Memento, I kept it pluralized as there are two subjects, but I decided to change it to "are options" because "things" seems too generic a word to use. Let me know if this is alright.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus

Uploading.

I also removed this statement:

* A spread of 172 HP / 84 Spe could be run in order to outspeed everything up to and including neutral-natured Volcanion before a Shell Smash and Thundurus afterward, and the HP allows Minior to survive Adamant Landorus-T's Stone Edge and Celesteela's Heavy Slam in Meteor forme.

Was rather confusing because, prior to Core form and using Shell Smash you're slower than Thundurus. Unless you mean prior to Shell Smash. Either way max max is best on this thing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)