MLB 2018 Thread

Results in big Ls all year
Well if Facebook or Twitter Reds fans were in the FO we’d still have an old Brandon Phillips, Jay Bruce, Todd Frazier, and Mike Leake who have all sucked since being traded except for about a week stretch where Bruce was the Indians’ best hitter a couple years ago during their epic win streak that meant nothing cause they blew a 3-1 WS lead. So yeah getting what we’ve gotten back (especially Suarez for Alfredo Simon. lol Detroit) is a step in the right direction. We need to pull the trigger on a trade to get pitching so we can get Ws

That's Red Sox legend Brandon Phillips to you.

It's crazy to think that Dustin Pedroia, Ian Kinsler, and Brandon Phillips were all on the same team and the person who got the most time at 2nd Base this year was Eduardo Nunez. And Nunez was an All Star in his own right. Same with backup Brock Holt. There arguably 3 of the the top 5 second basemen of the last 15 years all on the same team and 5 former All Stars all sharing time at the same position.

I'm actually glad the Reds are taking strides to make themselves more competitive. That should be a really solid lineup next year and maybe contributions from Senzel and Winker, as well as Castillo returning to form, can make them a .500 team next year.

We can all agree that the Cubs suck tho.

Btw here's how Fangraphs projects the NL Central in 2019... pre-Harper signing of course.

Cardinals 87-75
Cubs 87-75
Pirates 81-81
Reds 79-83
Brewers 78-84

Last edited:
I'm actually glad the Reds are taking strides to make themselves more competitive. That should be a really solid lineup next year and maybe contributions from Senzel and Winker, as well as Castillo returning to form, can make them a .500 team next year.

Btw here's how Fangraphs projects the NL Central in 2019... pre-Harper signing of course.

Cardinals 87-75
Cubs 87-75
Pirates 81-81
Reds 79-83
Brewers 78-84
Interesting how they predict a massive fall off for the Brewers. I don’t think they’ll be quite as good but I think they’re still better than the Reds and Pirates. I’m just upset that the Reds are improving their team but we play in the always stacked NL Central :^(

Cardinals 87-75
Cubs 87-75
Pirates 81-81
Reds 79-83
Brewers 78-84
brewers in last lol

Texas Cloverleaf

This user has a custom title
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
General plan is to look for value relative to price and group

SP - Kershaw is automatic, incredible quality at a discounted price
DH - Martinez here, arguably the best option at good value
3B - Rolen next, not a ton to separate this group so we'll trade a bit of offense for elite defense at the best value
SS - Alex Rodriguez
LF - Barry Bonds, we take those discounts specifically to get two of the best players ever, head and shoulders above the rest of their group
CF - Andruw Jones
RF - Larry Walker
2B - Roberto Alomar
C - Ivan Rodriguez, we go discount hunting in the outfield again with Jones' elite defense and Walkers discounted offense allowing us to get the best 2B of all time and one of the best catchers ever, both head above their groups

This leaves $4 remaining for 1B and RP and you can't go wrong in how you choose to allocate this, the players are effectively even across each breakdown. I chose:

1B - McGwire
RP - Wagner

As we can afford Marks shortcomings here more than at other positions

There is also a reasonable argument to take two dollars from Wagner down to Kimbrel in order to boost Jones to Griffey, or Walker to Vlad, or Rolen to Arenado and Kershaw to Martinez

Last edited:

UncleSam

Leading this village
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Arenado is so much better than Adrian Beltre lol, dude had like 4/20 seasons as good as the average Arenado season

I get that he stayed healthy and has impressive career totals but Beltre has one truly great season and that was 2004. Don’t understand why everyone has assumed he is a first ballot automatic hall of famer - I would vote for him, sure, but he would be nowhere near the top of my ballot in a given year.

Kershaw also seems like a great value, as does Pedro. Cano is probably the second best 2B on that list at only 2$ (lol imagine thinking Craig Biggio) is anywhere near the second best 2B of the last 30 years). Also, I’d take Altuve over any of the 2B every day of the week and twice on Sundays.

Finally, I love Ichiro but Mookie is a better player in every conceivable way.

UncleSam

Leading this village
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Ok well reply to this post if you’re interested. If there are eight signups (so seven replies) I’ll make a league and organize it. I’d prefer this one be free (don’t want to handle money over the internet) but otherwise I’m pretty flexible when it comes to settings.

biggie

champ
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Ok well reply to this post if you’re interested. If there are eight signups (so seven replies) I’ll make a league and organize it. I’d prefer this one be free (don’t want to handle money over the internet) but otherwise I’m pretty flexible when it comes to settings.
Interested

Interested if you otherwise couldn't get the league filled

Am extremely interested in more leagues since my high school friends league has seemed to have died.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)