MLB 2019

biggie

champ
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Figured we should start a new thread to keep things organized and up to date. I will be renewing the main fantasy league a little later today, and I know UncleSam has been trying to find players for a standalone redraft league.

That being said, pitchers and catchers are reporting this week. Get hyped and PLAY BALL!

biggie

champ
League renewal time. Going to renew the league hopefully later today, let's get this going. I'm removing Vancouver Victini's from the league because he was super fucking inactive. That means we have at least one slot open. I think we're always open to expanding the league if it makes sense, so don't be hesitant to let us know if you're interested.

Please claim your teams here so we all know who is in for this season. A couple of notes:

• We need to set a firm date for which to base player values on. This is due to projected values changing from day to day and sometimes having an impact on draft-day prices.
  • I am going to review activity from last year and make sure that everyone involved will be somewhat active. We're all playing for fun and pride, so having someone be inactive is very shitty.
  • I'll be calculating keeper-eligible people whenever I can. I've become super busy recently but I promise I'll get it done.
Los Banditos - biggie CLAIMED
Black Sox - kamranlaker CLAIMED
Deverending Story - Del Rio CLAIMED
Imanalt -Imanalt CLAIMED
Leave it to Seager - ButteredToast CLAIMED
Precious CarGo - Vancouver Victini OPEN SLOT BigBallerBrand CLAIMED
Severino Damage - cb aaron judge CLAIMED
Stroman Shield - pookar CLAIMED
TiredofStantonAround - Texas Cloverleaf CLAIMED
Vottomobile Sale -Stallion CLAIMED

Last edited:
Will claim my spot, but I'm still interested in getting some trade rules down before the start of the season. For my own sanity, I'd like to have some type of consensus about what qualifies as an unfair trade once and for all.

biggie

champ
Ofc

I propose one or two weeks prior to draft day as the lock in time for keeper price
Don't forget, that you guys still need to pick your keepers, tell me, and I have to manually input them into the system before the draft. If you think that's enough time for you guys to decide + get them to me, then I'm okay with that.

Texas Cloverleaf

This user has a custom title
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I would assume that people would be thinking about this beforehand, the difference between four weeks to two weeks should cause minimal changes in people's lists

UncleSam

Leading this village
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus

biggie

champ
Will claim my spot, but I'm still interested in getting some trade rules down before the start of the season. For my own sanity, I'd like to have some type of consensus about what qualifies as an unfair trade once and for all.
What are some trade rules that can/should be implemented? It's really hard to institute firm rules with something as objective as player values. It's kind of a "know it when you see it" type of thing.

What are some trade rules that can/should be implemented? It's really hard to institute firm rules with something as objective as player values. It's kind of a "know it when you see it" type of thing.
"Know it when you see it" policies are the biggest problem, and disagreements about it happen every year. We had a long conversation in the baseball chat last year where I brought up a trade of mine that was rejected a few years back in response to another trade being allowed to go through.

I don't remember the exact trade, but it was a whole bunch of super star players who were currently on the DL who were keeper eligible that were traded for Mike Trout. After discussion, it was allowed to be upheld. But yet years back when I did the equivalent to the same thing to trade short term prospects like Altuve and Trea Turner to a team that was out of playoff contention for SP/Stanton for my own playoff runs, they were rejected and I was forced to make a less favorable deal for myself and the party involved who wanted the prospects.

The only justification that the people gave for voting against my previous trades while allowing that trade was "I've changed my mind/stances since then." Two separate trades in the same league who had the same purposes were given different consideration because of 1) their ideas about strategy changed and 2) who was involved at the and what it meant to their own winning chances. I don't think that is really great policy.

------------------

I made a few suggestions last year about how I would change the trade system, and both at the time were met with "it's too late to change for this year."

Suggestion 1 (preferable) - Turn the powers of trade rejection over to commissioner review. As a league, we will come up with a list of violations that will cause a trade to be vetoed, such as trades that would ruin competitive balance to the league or trades that were crafted to abuse the keeper system. Really, we keep the trade rules we have always informally have but we formalize them.

This is the ideal system in my mind and still allows a "know it when you see it" approach. If there is a trade that is questioned by the community, it isn't left up to a 5 day voting/waiting period. Both the people for/against the trade can make their case to the league/commissioner and both sides can be heard fairly instead over time instead of people getting a notification and voting based on their gut reaction.

It allows the people making the trade to DM the commissioner and get his thoughts on the trade before the trade is made if it is questionable.

Though this hasn't happened to date, a possible problem that could happen with league votes is that bad trades are still allowed to be let through because there wasn't enough people active to review it. This wouldn't happen with commissioner review.

Suggestion 2 - We keep league voters, but we as league voters still need to come up with a list of offenses that should result in the voting down of trades. We increase the number of votes needed to veto a trade to 6 or 7 votes to make it as unanimous as possible while still giving room for inactive owners. We shorten the length of review to no longer than 3 days so that if a trade is rejected it can be resubmitted without having to wait a week.

Suggestion 3- Ban all trades. There are only about 2-3 trades a year anyways, and the ones that do happen always start arguments. This solves all problems, but goes against some of the fun of fantasy sports.

Last edited:

UncleSam

Leading this village
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
As an outsider to the league I will just say that I’m generally against vetoing trades for any reason other than blatant collusion to boost one team at the expense of another. If one manager thinks a trade will help him then, with all due respect, it isn’t any of the rest of the league’s business. They should’ve made a trade offer if they wanted a certain player or deal.

I'm generally the same mentality as UncleSam. FWIW I've said all along, I've never voted against your trades BT, or anyone's in this league IIRC.

But I'd sooner leave the league than go with Suggestion 3.

Texas Cloverleaf

is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Fun fact about the keeper league, we feature 7 players in the 80-90th percentile of performance, one player in the 70-80th percentile, Me in the 50-60th percentile, and capped off by our very own Del Rio in the 99.9th percentile of all fantasy baseball players on Yahoo

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Fun fact about the keeper league, we feature 7 players in the 80-90th percentile of performance, one player in the 70-80th percentile, Me in the 50-60th percentile, and capped off by our very own Del Rio in the 99.9th percentile of all fantasy baseball players on Yahoo
Our league is actually a bloodbath...not what you'd expect to find on a Pokemon forum. I need to play in some public leagues to boost my %

Texas Cloverleaf

At the moment, keeping Trout (70), Betts (48), Vladdy (0, proj-cost of 9), Turner (22), Pham (8), and E-Rod (0, proj cost of 4)

Trout overpay roughly nets to even on Turner and Betts which isn't ideal but owell, Vladdy pls

At the moment, keeping Trout (70), Betts (48), Vladdy (0, proj-cost of 9), Turner (22), Pham (8), and E-Rod (0, proj cost of 4)

Trout overpay roughly nets to even on Turner and Betts which isn't ideal but owell, Vladdy pls
That's a lot of strong players going off the board already. May be time to re-evaluate my keepers

Texas Cloverleaf

That's a lot of strong players going off the board already. May be time to re-evaluate my keepers
t'was the one thing i had going for me after last season, I forgot Pham was actually good value tbh, he started so slowly last year it poisoned my view of him, thought I was taking Osuna first lol

I no longer have any special claim over ERod after his bullshit efforts in the playoffs. Good luck.

As of right now I'm keeping Yelich, Stanton, Judge, Benintendi, Hoskins, and Peraza. So 5 OF and a SS.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)