MLB Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright guys. I'm going to *attempt* to start some kind of discussion here beings that I finally have got something to actually talk about.

To me the baseball All Star game is one of the things that I look forward to the most during the summer. I get like heavily invested into it for some reason especially when it comes to me filling out my All Star Ballot. Unlike most fans I take voting for the All Star game to another level. It goes beyond just voting for the 9 players online per league... I literally attempt to play manager for both leagues and try to construct the entire roster of teams from who I think should make it.

This year, however, has been tough as hell to decide. It seems that there is a lot of grey area into who I think is the best player in their position for this year and who deserves to be on the team.

For example... The 1B position is stacked in the AL with guys like Miggy, Albert, and Jose Daniel Abreau have all had great years to this point. Derek Jeter is probably going to get the nod at SS... but is this the right choice? His year hasn't been the greatest year and I don't think he deserves the starting job over someone like Alexi Ramirez. The third base position is loaded too in the AL with Beltre, Encarnasion, and Josh Donaldson. Edwin has had an amazing May, but his April was so aweful. In the National League, you have guys such as Votto, Morneau, Adrian Gonzalez, and Goldschmidt at 1B, and guys like Harper, CarGo, Carlos Gomez, McCutchen, Ryan Braun, Puig all crowding the outfield spots... Dee Gordon, Chase Utley, or Brandon Phillips...

So I guess my question is what is your strategy to voting for the All Star game? I don't actually vote until the later part of June / early July, but if you guys have voted already, who have you picked and why? Who do you think deserves to start and who do you think doesn't? Anything shock you about how the fans are voting and who is getting left out?

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
My strategy would be to vote for whoever has been best to this point this year, with close decisions going in favour of the guy with the better recent track record. In your scenarios above, I'd go Miggy at 1B, A. Ramirez at SS and probably Encarnacion at 3B (that one really is tough though) for the AL. For the NL I'd easily go Goldschmidt at 1B, haven't paid enough attention to the OF or 2B to make a decision (aside from the decision to NOT vote for Harper).

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Encarnacion was a fucking bum when he was on the Reds... *grumble*

actually he was decidedly average but whatever

Atticus

Atticus
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnuswon the 10th Official Smogon Tournamentdefeated the Smogon Frontieris a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
edwin never plays third outside of interleague and even then its uncommon, also the reds suk

edit: THE ballot

it was a tossup between cruz and EE at DH but i went with cruz to be the hipster guy that doesn't favor his own players

Last edited:

Imanalt

I'm the coolest girl you'll ever meet
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

roughly picked based on who i expect to do best for the rest of the year, really wanted to take gomez over puig given puig's 400 babip is not at all sustainable, but i cant quite...

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
... XBo? Really? I love what the kid is doing but his defense at short is mediocre at best and he's not even going to play there much anymore because of Drew being resigned.

Imanalt

... XBo? Really? I love what the kid is doing but his defense at short is mediocre at best and he's not even going to play there much anymore because of Drew being resigned.
He's been having a very good year though, and is arguably the best offensive shortstop in the AL. He will be moving to third though yeah, but i was doing position based on what they've been playing all year. We also know pretty clearly that alexei ramirez wont continue to hit this way going forward, whereas although bogaerts will decline some, he is very probably a much better hitter.

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
He's been having a very good year though, and is arguably the best offensive shortstop in the AL. He will be moving to third though yeah, but i was doing position based on what they've been playing all year. We also know pretty clearly that alexei ramirez wont continue to hit this way going forward, whereas although bogaerts will decline some, he is very probably a much better hitter.
He has been hitting for completely empty average, doesn't hit for power or run on the bases at all. Hasn't even been close to Ramirez this season, and definitely not even close to all star calibre yet

Imanalt

He has been hitting for completely empty average, doesn't hit for power or run on the bases at all. Hasn't even been close to Ramirez this season, and definitely not even close to all star calibre yet
Bogaerts and Ramirez have almost identical isolated power and bogaerts walks more, so ramirez's is an "emptier" average...

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.as...am=0&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0&sort=17,d

I think its hard to make an argument that Bogaerts and Ramirez aren't even close, and i expect Ramirez to regress more than bogaerts (although looking at it, Bogaerts' babip scares me some, so we'll see on that)

Stallion

Tree Young
Bogaerts and Ramirez have almost identical isolated power and bogaerts walks more, so ramirez's is an "emptier" average...

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.as...am=0&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0&sort=17,d

I think its hard to make an argument that Bogaerts and Ramirez aren't even close, and i expect Ramirez to regress more than bogaerts (although looking at it, Bogaerts' babip scares me some, so we'll see on that)
They're much closer than I thought. The things that pop out to me in favour of Ramirez are the much lower babip with the significantly higher average (although Boegarts gets on base a lot), the difference in steals and the RBIs. Xander obviously has way more upside but to this point, Ramirez has definitely been better this season.

Also random aside but fuck, all the good SS's are in the NL lol

Imanalt

yadier instead of lucroy >_<
Too much pitch framing value for me to take anyone other than yadier, conservative estimates ive seen on it are hes worth almost 4 wins a year purely on that...

tennisace

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus

one of the greatest baseball mysteries of the year: solved

next on the list: how much did tampa bay pay the umpires and MLB to keep price from getting suspended?

edit: NEVERMIND EVERYONE DAVID PRICE WAS FINED AN UNDISCLOSED AMOUNT, JUSTICE SERVED ALL PRAISE TO GLORIOUS LEADER BUD SELIG

Last edited:

cb aaron judge

ALL RISE
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnus

went with performances so far (would've put arenado>frazier if not for the tbd status for arenado's return and norris>mccann if norris wasn't in a platoon so...)

Last edited:

Stallion

Tree Young
I give up on this season, I don't think there's been a team in modern history with this many serious injuries at this point in the season, poor Rangers :-(

Imanalt

Gregory polanco to get called up tomorrow... fucking finally, the pirates rightfield has been a cesspool for a year and a half, just hoping we can trade one of the two players we had playing there for a 4 or 5 starter given we have literally the worst pitching staff in baseball with approximately 1 legitimate starter

tennisace

kershaw has a legit shot to break the scoreless innings streak imo. his next starts are probably: padres, (a couple all star innings), pirates, giants, cubs with a ton of days off in-between.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)