Monotype Matchmaking V2

Status
Not open for further replies.

iLlama

Nothing personal, I protect my people

Approved by scpinion / OP mostly stolen from Zyo / Banner by Zarif

All Pokemon are unable to function effectively without their checks and counters gone, which is where their teammates come in. These partners are capable of dismantling multiple Pokemon proving a threat to their teammates, providing invaluable support and thus are often seen as the heart of the team.
This project aims to brainstorm various ideal and effective partners to various Pokemon in a single type that may range from metagame defining Pokemon to more underrated threats.

Procedure

Every week, I will nominate a Type for discussion of potential duos and submissions. In that week, you will have the chance to submit any good pair of Pokemon for that chosen Type. This means every submission is 2 Pokemon that work well together. Do not think that you are limited by obvious cores or generic teambuilds. Ingenuity and Practicality win the day. I will then put the submissions to a vote for the best partner(s) for that chosen Type and place the winner into the archive. People that manage to get into the archive multiple times with good submissions will be let into the Hall of Fame.

Rules

1. Stick with things high up on the viability rankings. Pokemon such as Mienshao and Vaporeon which are considered very niche should not be nominated at all.
2. Reservations are perfectly welcome. All reservations must be completed at least 2 days before the deadline. If a Pokemon is reserved, you may not use it for your own post until the 2 day gap has begun or until the reservation has been fulfilled. Once it has entered this 2 day gap, other users can take your reservation and do it for themselves. If you do not finish your reservation, you will not be allowed to submit for the following week.
3. Don't theorymon. Post Pokemon that you have experience with, or have seen it have quite some use, don't pull Pokemon out of thin air that you think will work well. Have some experience first please.
4. Explain how and why the Pokemon you chose works well. For example, offensive synergy in terms of wearing down each other's checks and counters or defensive synergy in terms of checking threats to the specified type.
5. Be nice to others with your posts and only post meaningful things. One-liners clutter up the thread, as do random memes.
6. You may use the same Pokemon as others, including the same sets, however, if you are using two of the same Pokemon as another person, the sets must be different.
7. Calcs are nice, but not compulsory.
8. Enjoy :)
9. TWO POKEMON PER POST PLEASE!!!

Last edited:

iLlama

Week 1:

Type: Fighting

Build Deadline: September 29
Voting Deadline: October 2

Note: You may use the same Pokemon as others, including the same sets, however, if you are using two of the same Pokemon as another person, the sets must be different.​

Last edited:

Ridley

lofi hip hop radio - beats to relax/study to
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus

Medicham @ Medichamite
Ability: Pure Power
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Bullet Punch
- Zen Headbutt
- High Jump Kick

Keldeo @ Choice Specs
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Secret Sword
- Hydro Pump
- Icy Wind

These two pokemon are the offensive backbone of almost every Fighting team. They just cover each others options so well, it's hard NOT to use them. Mega Medicham and Keldeo alone cover each others weaknesses very well, and have basically no switch ins. Mega Medicham kills basically everything in the meta, and Keldeo picks off the few pokemon that are not 2HKOd. This core paired with a scarfer like Heracross is extremely threatening and a huge force to be reckoned with.

Last edited:

Heracross-Mega @ Heracronite
Ability: Moxie
EVs: 40 HP / 252 Atk / 216 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Pin Missile
- Rock Blast
- Bullet Seed

Hawlucha @ Eject Button
Ability: Limber
Adamant Nature
- Acrobatics
- High Jump Kick
- Swords Dance
- Tailwind

Mega Heracross is one of the metagame's deadliest physical wallbreakers in the metagame, boasting an insane 185 base Attack, a pre-mega ability in Moxie, and an awesome movepool that revolves around abusing Skill Link. Hawlucha has a set that I tailored so Mega Heracross can abuse Tailwind to boost its pretty underwhelming speed, and make it a true threat to any team. Eject Button allows Hawlucha to immediately switch once tailwind is set to immediately grab momentum, and switch to Mega Heracross with ease. The cool thing about both of its STABs is that it has complete neutral coverage over the entire metagame. so it doesn't necessarily need to run coverage. This pair is seldom seen, so I thought it would be something cool to showcase!

Gallade @ Galladite
Ability: Steadfast
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off
- Psycho Cut/Shadow Sneak

Keldeo-Resolute @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Hydro Pump
- Icy Wind
- Secret Sword

Mega Gallade is one of the fastest pokemons fighting has to offer. While some people chooses Mega Medicham over Mega Gallade due to immediate power and double priority, the reason I choose Mega Gallade is because it's faster, has better bulk, its somewhat situationally useful ability and have coverages for one of the most annoying type for fighting, psychic. For speed, it allows Gallade to outspeed non-scarf threats below 110 speed like Landorus-I, Garchomp, Mew and Charizard. It also allows Gallade to have speed ties against Gengar and the Lati@s twins, which are very threatening to fighting. It has very nice bulk too, being able to tank some hits while being able to set up swords dance on slower pokemons. While close combat has destructive power, having lowered defenses makes you more fragile against priorities like sucker punch, which is why I choose drain punch, as it provides good damage after a swords dance and recovers HP at the same time, allowing Gallade to maintain in battle longer. Its ability, inner focus may not look appealing, but it is a very useful ability as there are threatening mons like togekiss and jirachi that will attempt to flinchhax your whole team with their super effective stab flinch moves. If they are scarfed, you could just use knock off on them to make them less threatening to your team. Mega Gallade wouldn't be scared of Fake Out mons like pre-mega Lopunny and Medicham as Gallade can just attack them without worrying about the flinches. Gallade's moveset are amazing too. Having coverages like knock off and shadow sneak allows fighting to have an easier time against psychic and ghost types (excluding sableye), and if you manage to find an opportunity to set up Swords Dance, Mega Gallade can really punch a hole on those types.

Keldeo is really a MUST HAVE for all fighting teams as it's their strongest special attacker. Specs is used on Keldeo as it provides immediate power and allows fighting to handle physical walls like Skarmory and Hippowdon, which they usually have trouble with. Hydro Pump is for the strong water stab which can usually 2HKO a lot of mons neutrally, and scald for revenge killing and maybe hope for the burn chance. Secret Sword allows it to hit special walls physically and Icy Wind is used for an ice coverage as well as reducing speed for your team to be able to outspeed and revenge kill.

Last edited:

Ridley

lofi hip hop radio - beats to relax/study to
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus

Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Pin Missile
- Rock Blast
- Bullet Seed

Hawlucha @ Eject Button
Adamant Nature
- Acrobatics
- High Jump Kick
- Swords Dance
- Tailwind

Mega Heracross is one of the metagame's deadliest physical wallbreakers in the metagame, boasting an insane 185 base Attack, a pre-mega ability in Moxie, and an awesome movepool that revolves around abusing Skill Link. Hawlucha has a set that I tailored so Mega Heracross can abuse Tailwind to boost its pretty underwhelming speed, and make it a true threat to any team. Eject Button allows Hawlucha to immediately switch once tailwind is set to immediately grab momentum, and switch to Mega Heracross with ease. The cool thing about both of its STABs is that it has complete neutral coverage over the entire metagame. so it doesn't necessarily need to run coverage. This pair is seldom seen, so I thought it would be something cool to showcase!
Cool core, very creative! Just one thing though, ghost resists both of Mega Heracross's STABs. Also, doublade and a lot of other ghost types hard wall your core.

Cool core, very creative! Just one thing though, ghost resists both of Mega Heracross's STABs. Also, doublade and a lot of other ghost types hard wall your core.
Hey thanks a bunch! I'd add a 3rd mon to the core to patch that, but, unfortunately you can only have 2. I would of definitely added lead Infernape if that was the case.

Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Pin Missile
- Rock Blast
- Bullet Seed

Hawlucha @ Eject Button
Adamant Nature
- Acrobatics
- High Jump Kick
- Swords Dance
- Tailwind

Your core seems very interesting for use, but I'd recommend running jolly instead of adamant on hawlucha as you would get outsped by the Lati@s twins and Gengar. You wouldn't want to be outsped and not be able to set up tailwind, which loses your chance on a potential heracross sweep.

Here's a deer core:

Terrakion @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Iron Head

Keldeo @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Secret Sword
- Scald
- Icy Wind
- Hidden Power Electric

The main problem that Terrakion has is that it has an insane amount of weaknesses, but once these are cleared up it can be a deadly sweeper. Keldeo helps to cover its weaknesses to Water, Steel and Ground. In return, Terrakion has the speed combined the Choice Scarf to outspeed any other Scarfers that outspeed Keldeo. Terrakion also covers for Keldeo by dealing with the popular Flying types, and by having the coverage to deal high damage to Electric and Fairy types. For the physical walls that Terrakion can't touch, such as Skarmory, bring in Keldeo and blast it with a Scald. For the special walls, such as Chansey, bring in Terrakion and hit it hard with a Close Combat. Apart from the fact that Grass types exist, this core has no big flaws and it can apply an insane amount of offensive pressure.

Last edited:

iLlama

Week 1: Voting

Ridley.'s Mega Medicham + Keldeo
Dece1t's Mega Heracross + Hawlucha
Asurax's Mega Gallade + Keldeo
Kilgrave's Terrakion + Keldeo

Voting Ends October 2
Please vote for 2 People, you may not vote for yourself.

My votes go to Ridley. and Dece1t

Notes: After this week, all Posting times will be shortened to 5 days.​

iLlama

Week 2:

Type: Bug

Build Deadline: October 7
Voting Deadline: October 10

Note: You may use the same Pokemon as others, including the same sets, however, if you are using the two same Pokemon as another person, the sets must be different.​

Heracross @ Heracronite
Ability: Swarm
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Bullet Seed / Swords Dance
- Rock Blast
- Pin Missile

+

Yanmega @ Life Orb
Ability: Speed Boost
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Protect
- Air Slash
- Tailwind
- Any coverage move(hp ice/ancient power/bug buzz/giga drain etc)
This is core is built around the huge wallbreaker that is Mega Heracross. It's one of the few physically offensive Pokemon that can 2HKO Skarmory with a neutral move. Its speed tier is pretty trash and seriously hinders its wallbreaking capabilities which is probably why players don't use it as much as it should be used. Here, I'm pairing it up with another strong Pokemon that hits from the other side of the spectrum, Yanmega. It has a plethora of coverage options and can easily clean up lots of teams late-game, like Fighting-type teams. Yanmega has access to tailwind, which is basically the focal point of this core, allowing Mega Heracross to outspeed almost the entire metagame and easily clean late-game. Im running Adamant to maximize its wallbreaking potential and to 2HKO Skarmory with Close Combat, but Jolly is an option to outspeed Scarf Latios. This core is great when combined with staples on Bug, like Armaldo and Volcarona, as they can patch up any weaknesses this core might have.

Last edited:

maroon

free palestine
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Team Rateris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
RMT & Mono Leader

Armaldo @ Leftovers
Ability: Battle Armor
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Stealth Rock
- Knock Off
- Stone Edge

Volcarona @ Lum Berry
Ability: Flame Body
Modest Nature
IVs: 1 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 SpD
- Quiver Dance
- Bug Buzz
- Fiery Dance
- Hidden Power [Ground]

Armaldo is a very nice partner for Volcanions na as it is able to clear entry hazards that Volcarona doesn't appreciate such as Stealth Rocks and can help support Volcarona's sweep by knicking off the opposing pokemons item with Knock Off or lay Stealth Rocks. Armaldo can also live a Mega Charizard Y's Fire Blast and revenge kill it with Stone Edge. Armaldo is able to take on Bulky Flying Types that Volcarona have trouble with stuck as Zapdos that Armaldo can deal with using Stone EdgeVolcarona is bug premiere setup sweeper as it is able to use Quiver Dance with the great offensive typing of Fire and Bug that allows it to easily setup with its decent natural bulk. Volcarona us easily able to take on an entire steel team with Fiery Dance and Hidden Power [Ground]. Volcarona can take on Heatran with Hidden Power Ground which would normally wall Volcarona. Fiery Dance is used along side as a great dependable Fire Type STAB attack that can work greatly alongside Quiver Dance. Bug Buzz is completely able to sweep an entire Psychic team at +2 except AV Gallade which is one of the most popular Monotypes. These two together make a great offensive Bug Core.

252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Fire Blast vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Armaldo in Sun: 261-307 (73.9 - 86.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Last edited:

iLlama

Week 2: Voting

Izaya.'s Mega Heracross + Yanmega Core
The Excadrill's Armaldo + Volcarona Core

Voting Ends October 9
Please vote for 1 Person, you may not vote for yourself.

My vote goes to Exca​

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)