Most Generation PRNG Help / Information

Yes I've even tried different seeds. What confuses me the most is when i do as the guide says and then check the map to see if entei and raikou are in the right spots or in the 10 +- from the delay its usually ends up in like 90 to -70 range of delay instead of being near 771 delay.
Are you using eontimer and updating it with whatever delay you actually hit?

Which is the point of updating eontimer, so you'll be able to hit the delay more accurately.
So you want me to ignore Entei and Raikou and beat the elite 4 and keep catching latias? or you want me to put the delay the roamers ended up with? Catching latias and finding its seed was alot closer to the actual delay, but if i use the roamers the eon timer makes it impossible to get in the time limit.

So you want me to ignore Entei and Raikou and beat the elite 4 and keep catching latias? or you want me to put the delay the roamers ended up with? Catching latias and finding its seed was alot closer to the actual delay, but if i use the roamers the eon timer makes it impossible to get in the time limit.
Either or, but did you input the locations Entei/Raikou were at after saving before Lance?

Either or, but did you input the locations Entei/Raikou were at after saving before Lance?
Yes after load up my save once i finished soft resetting immediately looked at the map to see the locations of entei and raikou then checked the delay in the rng reporter.

Yes after load up my save once i finished soft resetting immediately looked at the map to see the locations of entei and raikou then checked the delay in the rng reporter.
I mean did you enter their locations into seed to time before attempting to hit your seed?

I mean this:

Also, do you have chatots? Would make advancing the frames so much easier than the radio.
Oh ok i see now thats most likely the reason why its off so much. The other guide didnt mention that so thanks for pointing that out to me! and unfortunately no i dont have a chatot.

Oh ok i see now thats most likely the reason why its off so much. The other guide didnt mention that so thanks for pointing that out to me! and unfortunately no i dont have a chatot.
The nugget bridge guide does seem to be outdated, as it mentions it being very hard to rng entei/raikou in their first appearance, which isn't the case anymore.

Timey
It happened again. Looks like the only way i can do it is through catching latias which is going to be a pain.
Could also be the really large delay search you have. It might be matching Entei/Raikou to the first frame that has those locations, which in your case happens to be negative since your minimum frame is greater than your target frame. Try lowering delays to 50 -/+ and see if you get any matches.

Could also be the really large delay search you have. It might be matching Entei/Raikou to the first frame that has those locations, which in your case happens to be negative since your minimum frame is greater than your target frame. Try lowering delays to 50 -/+ and see if you get any matches.
ok i used 25 and got in range finding one. I first got an even delay but trying again gave me an odd delay. How can that be? I dont have a 3rd gen cartridge to switch between odd/even delays.

Xen

is a Community Leaderis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Wi-Fi Leader
Dumb question, but when you beat the Pokemon league in Emerald, and the game goes back to the intro after the credits roll, does the RNG (Seed & Frames) reset?

I'm trying to RNG a Birth Island Deoxys by using my TID as the seed (playing through the game using save states), but I kinda forgot that the event islands were only accessible post-game. lol

Nvm, it resets.

Last edited:
I'm trying to pull off a shiny anything, at this point probably Mewtwo or Moltres in Fire Red. I'd like to do this on an original gameboy without the use of an emulator or anything for reasons. From what I can tell a usable method should go like this.

1. Catch a pokemon from Cerulean Cave (because of the higher levels and less spread IV's)
2. "Calculate the seed from the IV's" <-- no clue how you're even supposed to do this. I assume I need to enter the IV information into the Pokedex-IV Checker in RNG Reporter but no matter what Pokemon I catch the IV's end up with a range which seems useless since step 3 doesn't take in ranges.
3. Use IV's to PID/SEED under 4th Gen Tools to find my seed
4. Generate frames using that seed I just got, find a shiny frame and wait until that frame comes up.
5. Repeat entire process until shiny.

As an example here is what I would do.

Kadabra level 67, throw a master ball to try it out.

HP: 132
Attack: 75
Defense: 49
Sp.Atk: 169
Sp.Def: 99
Speed: 141

Kadabra - #64 (Brave)
HP: 3
Atk: 26-27
Def: 6-7
SpA: 5-6
SpD: 1
Spe: 17-18

So I guess my question is: how exactly do you "calculate the seed fron the IV's" if all I can get is an IV range? (ex: HP: 6-7)

Last edited:

Xen

is a Community Leaderis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Wi-Fi Leader
I'm trying to pull off a shiny anything, at this point probably Mewtwo or Moltres in Fire Red. I'd like to do this on an original gameboy without the use of an emulator or anything for reasons. From what I can tell a usable method should go like this.

1. Catch a pokemon from Cerulean Cave (because of the higher levels and less spread IV's)
2. "Calculate the seed from the IV's" <-- no clue how you're even supposed to do this. I assume I need to enter the IV information into the Pokedex-IV Checker in RNG Reporter but no matter what Pokemon I catch the IV's end up with a range which seems useless since step 3 doesn't take in ranges.
3. Use IV's to PID/SEED under 4th Gen Tools to find my seed
4. Generate frames using that seed I just got, find a shiny frame and wait until that frame comes up.
5. Repeat entire process until shiny.

As an example here is what I would do.

Kadabra level 67, throw a master ball to try it out.

HP: 132
Attack: 75
Defense: 49
Sp.Atk: 169
Sp.Def: 99
Speed: 141

Kadabra - #64 (Brave)
HP: 3
Atk: 26-27
Def: 6-7
SpA: 5-6
SpD: 1
Spe: 17-18

So I guess my question is: how exactly do you "calculate the seed fron the IV's" if all I can get is an IV range? (ex: HP: 6-7)
Err, if you want to RNG on a retail cart, FRLG isn't what you should be aiming for. It is statistically impossible to RNG FRLG on retail due to a variety of factors (though it's easy enough to do on emulator if all you care about is shininess and not IVs).

If you're looking to RNG something shiny on retail, you'd be better off using Emerald since the game's seeding process is glitched (It uses a static seed of 0), or a copy of Ruby/Sapphire with a dead internal battery (static seed of 5A0).

If you're dead-set on FRLG, then you can try following your own example, but the frames can act a little erratic due to a variety of factors, and not having exact IVs will make it difficult to find your current seed.

Tolan

Wi-Fi Blacklisted
dead bat ruby/sapphire is wicked easy too, theres an onsite guide to rnging the id/sid for good spreads (with low frame seeds) that doesnt take too long

Err, if you want to RNG on a retail cart, FRLG isn't what you should be aiming for. It is statistically impossible to RNG FRLG on retail due to a variety of factors (though it's easy enough to do on emulator if all you care about is shininess and not IVs).

If you're looking to RNG something shiny on retail, you'd be better off using Emerald since the game's seeding process is glitched (It uses a static seed of 0), or a copy of Ruby/Sapphire with a dead internal battery (static seed of 5A0).

If you're dead-set on FRLG, then you can try following your own example, but the frames can act a little erratic due to a variety of factors, and not having exact IVs will make it difficult to find your current seed.
I know all about how hard it's supposed to be and how it's a lot easier to do in Emerald as I've done it in Emerald before.

I feel like I'm missing something though as none of this information makes sense: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/rng-manipulation-in-firered-leafgreen-wild-pokémon-supported-in-rng-reporter-9-93.62357/

Take this piece for example: "Buy a cheap Method 1 Abra at the Game Corner, note the IVs and calculate the "seed" for that Abra.

You could then plug that seed into RNG Reporter, generate a list of upcoming spreads, and look for spreads of interest."

This is what I want to do but never will you get single IV's from a level 9 Abra so I think they know something that I don't about finding the initial seed.

I know all about how hard it's supposed to be and how it's a lot easier to do in Emerald as I've done it in Emerald before.

I feel like I'm missing something though as none of this information makes sense: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/rng-manipulation-in-firered-leafgreen-wild-pokémon-supported-in-rng-reporter-9-93.62357/

Take this piece for example: "Buy a cheap Method 1 Abra at the Game Corner, note the IVs and calculate the "seed" for that Abra.

You could then plug that seed into RNG Reporter, generate a list of upcoming spreads, and look for spreads of interest."

This is what I want to do but never will you get single IV's from a level 9 Abra so I think they know something that I don't about finding the initial seed.
Use rare candies/level up the abra to make iv checking easier.

.com

Grumpy old man
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
'Seed' doesn't always mean 'initial seed'. In a straightforward RNG (random number generator where the next term can be computed solely from the previous) any given term in the sequence can be referred to as a 'seed' for the subsequent term.

So when they say calculate the initial seed, they mean calculate the state the RNG must have been in to generate the Pokemon you received. Since IVs are tied to nature in these earlier gens, the combination of IVs, nature, ability and gender should be enough to locate exactly one 'seed' which could generate it.

There used to be a 'IVs2PID' app, but that seems to have disappeRed so a more manual search may be required.

Tolan

Wi-Fi Blacklisted
take the frame that generated the abra to calibrate how many frames it takes you average to get into the game + pick up the abra. Keep picking it up, finding ivs, then resetting until you start getting similar figures. from there you can subtract that from your target frame to find find the frame you actually need to hit

I quit the console thing for now and decided to try to get it work on an emulator for now then go back to the console later when I understand it more.

This is really frustrating though. I'm trying to get a shiny Mewtwo but there seems to be a delay of around 327 + or - 12 frames from the frame I need to hit making it impossible to figure out what frame to hit A on.

Code:
Seed:  BA96
Shiny: 21375
Hit:   21377
Difference: 2 frames (327)

Seed:  BCF6
Shiny: 1274
Hit:   1286
Difference: 12 frames (327)

Seed:  141C
Shiny: 853
Hit:   844
Difference: 9 frames (327)

Seed:  BA98
Shiny: 30561
Hit:   30556
Difference: 5 frames (325)

Seed:  BACF
Shiny: 23565
Hit:   23558
Difference: 7 frames (325)

Seed:  A34F
Shiny: 2572
Hit:   2580
Difference: 8 frames (332)

Seed:  BA98 (duplicate!)
Shiny: 30561
Hit:   30556 (same frame as before)
Difference: 5 frames (330)
The number in brackets I add to the shiny frame. (ex: 21375+327 = 21702 which is frame I hit A on)

At the bottom you can see I got a duplicate. My first attempt at that seed was 5 frames behind so I added 5 frames to the delay and somehow hit exactly the same frame anyway.

Any ideas as to what this delay is and how I can actually calculate it without guessing?

Last edited:

Tolan

Wi-Fi Blacklisted
are you using lua script/pause/next frame/save states? pause the emulator using cntrl+p, advance the frame to the frame you have to hit using cntrl+n. hold down the 'a' button, unpause, and see what PID you got. Say I need to hit frame 100,000 and the PID i got is from 103,199. I'd do the 100,000-103,199=-3,199. Then, 100,000-3,199=96801. Then, I'd pause the emulator at frame ~96,000, then advance it to 96,801 using next frame. I'd hold 'a' while unpausing, and hit the correct frame every time.

Use VBA ReRecording ( https://code.google.com/p/vba-rerecording/ ) and you can view your frame
Usa Kaph's Lua scripts to view IVs/Nature/PID of encountered pkm ( http://projectpokemon.org/forums/sh...-3-Lua-Scripts&p=132145&viewfull=1#post132145 )

in theory, using an emulator you should only need to do it twice. Once to see how far off your target is from the frame you need to hit, and once more to hit it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 10)