Most Generation PRNG Help / Information

pilica12

Buriallusion: Phantomic Killer in Night Mist
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Short answer... it depends. The lag that worked for Blacephalon is unlikely to work for other every other legendary. For example, my Stakataka's lag value was ~400, my current RNG attempt at Celesteela is sticking around ~500, wormhole Yveltal and Cresselia were around ~-300 and Zapdos was ~-600. Of course, you are free to just use the lag you currently have and then adjust it for the legendary you are trying to RNG. There is no difference in this, compared to just starting again at 0. You will have to undertake the lag "adjustment" process every time, since the lag varies from legend to legend, and is also dependent on your console (i.e. my lag may not match yours).

As for Magearna, let me just observe that it is one absolute pain to RNG (even with the assistance of PokeCalc). Usually it is safer to RNG Magearna with 6 NPCs (that is the default setting on the RNG Tool); however, to do this, you must make sure that the "walking NPC" is not on the screen during the RNG process or everything gets messed up. From my experience, you should ensure that the NPC is far away so it doesn't affect the frame advancements by being too close.

When you select the legendary you are RNG'ing in the Tool, it gives you a preset delay; just use that and adjust the lag as outlined before. And as for checking frames, if you are doing this manually without the assistance of PokeCalc, there is no way to check the frame you hit without catching it, checking its nature/IVs and then using the Tool to find the frame you actually hit. Good advice would be to simply use the Master Ball and check the nature/IVs of your catch during the first ~5-10 trials to get your lag right. After that you can catch "normally" if you want matching Poke Balls. Of course, this is a rather time-consuming process and is certainly not easy. For reference, Zapdos took me about 20 hours of trying! The only real tip I can give for catching is somewhat self-explanatory: lead with a relatively low-level Syncher of your choice, use a Roto-Catch on Turn 1 and let the Syncher die (this prevents it from gaining Exp, saving you time). Switch to a Level 100 Sleep 'mon with False Swipe (I personally use Breloom and I can give you one to use if you want), knock the legendary to 1 HP, Sleep it, and then chuck Balls until it is caught. Obviously only worry about this after you have gotten to a consistent lag. Until then just let your Syncher die, switch, Master Ball, check, figure out your frame then soft-reset and try again.

If you "accidentally" hit your frame during the calibration process, thereby using up your one Master Ball, if you're happy with your catch, feel free to ask as I am happy to provide extra Master Balls for your use.

Hello everyone, fairly new on this forum.
I read most of the main articles about LCRNG, ARNG & IRNG i could find on this forum and various other websites, but i found no answer to what i'm searching for in Pokémon Platinum.

Is there a known way of predicting what will be the swarm Pokémon for a given location ?

I know that overworld swarm Pokémon are in slots 0 & 1 (40%), and Trophy Garden/Great Marsh changing Pokémon are in slots 6 & 7 (10%), all generated through method J/K. I also found evidence that the ARNG is the method used to select what Pokémon the swarm slots will be filled with. I'm lacking a way to know what is the seed of this routine. I tested the time&date seed and a few combinations of LCRNG mixed with ARNG, without success.

Great Marsh : i know that 6 changing Pokémon are selected there, among a table of 32 slots : http://upcarchive.playker.info/0/up...version-and-platinum-version-great-marsh.html
I did hit 4 seeds as tests and i ended up with these changing Pokémon repartition : http://puu.sh/A3VRD/d2bc66fc37.png

If anyone could offer insight on this big subject (Swarm, Trophy Garden & Great Marsh), that would be lovely :)
Cheers all !

I have a new Ultra Moon save file, and I can't find my starting egg seed with the 8 Magikarp method.

I've restarted this cart multiple times and have never had any trouble finding my initial egg seed by breeding 8 Magikarp and recording their natures. For this save file, I got the shiny charm before the elite four (if that matters), marked it in RNGtool of course, and bred two Magikarp together. That didn't return any seeds, so I tried breeding the female with a ditto (no masuda) and again recorded the Magikarp's natures (hardy, brave, hardy, naughty, sassy, quirky, naive, timid). This time, a seed showed up, but none of the eggs match that string of natures.

Can I breed a few more Magikarp to narrow down my egg seed? I know I haven't bred anything on this save file. Any help is appreciated.

Short answer... it depends. The lag that worked for Blacephalon is unlikely to work for other every other legendary. For example, my Stakataka's lag value was ~400, my current RNG attempt at Celesteela is sticking around ~500, wormhole Yveltal and Cresselia were around ~-300 and Zapdos was ~-600. Of course, you are free to just use the lag you currently have and then adjust it for the legendary you are trying to RNG. There is no difference in this, compared to just starting again at 0. You will have to undertake the lag "adjustment" process every time, since the lag varies from legend to legend, and is also dependent on your console (i.e. my lag may not match yours).

As for Magearna, let me just observe that it is one absolute pain to RNG (even with the assistance of PokeCalc). Usually it is safer to RNG Magearna with 6 NPCs (that is the default setting on the RNG Tool); however, to do this, you must make sure that the "walking NPC" is not on the screen during the RNG process or everything gets messed up. From my experience, you should ensure that the NPC is far away so it doesn't affect the frame advancements by being too close.

When you select the legendary you are RNG'ing in the Tool, it gives you a preset delay; just use that and adjust the lag as outlined before. And as for checking frames, if you are doing this manually without the assistance of PokeCalc, there is no way to check the frame you hit without catching it, checking its nature/IVs and then using the Tool to find the frame you actually hit. Good advice would be to simply use the Master Ball and check the nature/IVs of your catch during the first ~5-10 trials to get your lag right. After that you can catch "normally" if you want matching Poke Balls. Of course, this is a rather time-consuming process and is certainly not easy. For reference, Zapdos took me about 20 hours of trying! The only real tip I can give for catching is somewhat self-explanatory: lead with a relatively low-level Syncher of your choice, use a Roto-Catch on Turn 1 and let the Syncher die (this prevents it from gaining Exp, saving you time). Switch to a Level 100 Sleep 'mon with False Swipe (I personally use Breloom and I can give you one to use if you want), knock the legendary to 1 HP, Sleep it, and then chuck Balls until it is caught. Obviously only worry about this after you have gotten to a consistent lag. Until then just let your Syncher die, switch, Master Ball, check, figure out your frame then soft-reset and try again.

If you "accidentally" hit your frame during the calibration process, thereby using up your one Master Ball, if you're happy with your catch, feel free to ask as I am happy to provide extra Master Balls for your use.
That`s extremely nice of you, thank you ! But I want to catch them in a special ball, so you can keep yours :).
Did only Zapdos took you 20 hours or the other legendaries as well ?

pilica12

That`s extremely nice of you, thank you ! But I want to catch them in a special ball, so you can keep yours :).
Did only Zapdos took you 20 hours or the other legendaries as well ?
Zapdos was unprecedentedly awful, although I had been warned of this in advance, in fairness (apparently it troubles even people with PokeCalc). Taking this long is unlikely, though. Yveltal and Cresselia took me only about 8 (my highest at that point), the Tapus about 4 (and Bulu only took two tries!), Stakataka about 5 (I was still learning then though).

Overall, once you get the hang of it, it really isn't too bad. There will always be a few, though, that are awful to do (and Zapdos is definitely one of them).

I Am trying to rng abuse A shiny feebas In gen 3, and I am having trouble figuring out what method is used to generate it. I am doing it right now on a live battery seed in ruby, which has its default method as h-1, however when i try and search what frame i hit when i do get a feebas, i find that it sometimes doesn't fall onto a h-1 spread. I have checked method 1 spreads, and sometimes the spread i hit falls into method 1 spreads, but i am not sure if it is using method 1. The delay i find is also very weird, as i can't seem to get a consistant one. Am I doing something wrong?

shiny finder

forever searching
is a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Chatot Wrangler
Make sure you also have the shiny charm box checked in the main window before you click calculate to generate all the frames. I also just tried the Egg Seed Finder tool with 9 natures, but it threw an error. Seems like you can only use 8.

Have you tried checking the other h-methods? It's a wild, so I believe it should be generated by one of the h-methods rather than just a straight method 1. Researching this just now, I've found a few people saying they've gotten h-2 for feebas for example; so it's possible the method is jumping around a bit. I'd imagine your weird delay is the uncertainty in which method is actually being generated, since that would change the frame that matches...unless you mean you are hitting a bunch of different frames, which is equally likely since you have to be so accurate in your timing.

It doesn't sound like you're doing anything wrong per se. I'd suggest checking the other methods to see if you can get more consistent results that way, and just be prepared to jump around quite a bit because of the 1/60th of a second required timing. Otherwise feel free to post some of your results here and we'll take a look.

Pilica12, thanks as always ! :)
The good thing is, that I am not interested in RNG`ing Zapdos. Still got mine from Heartgold with 5 DV´s.
Right now I just want to RNG some legendaries. Maybe you can tell me if the following ones are pain to get, or are those doable ?

- Zekrom, Yveltal, ( will it take more than 8h´s for me, because I am still not really used to it?) ,Dialga, Cresselia, Voltolos, Heatran, Tobutz, Regice, Latios

And is there anything specific, that I have to take care of, if I want to RNG them, except chosing the stationary method and typing in the number of NPC`s?
And is is right, that the moment I talk to them, and encounter them, the Frame can not advance ? Or do I have to calculate this as well ?

pilica12

Pilica12, thanks as always ! :)
The good thing is, that I am not interested in RNG`ing Zapdos. Still got mine from Heartgold with 5 DV´s.
Right now I just want to RNG some legendaries. Maybe you can tell me if the following ones are pain to get, or are those doable ?

- Zekrom, Yveltal, ( will it take more than 8h´s for me, because I am still not really used to it?) ,Dialga, Cresselia, Voltolos, Heatran, Tobutz, Regice, Latios

And is there anything specific, that I have to take care of, if I want to RNG them, except chosing the stationary method and typing in the number of NPC`s?
And is is right, that the moment I talk to them, and encounter them, the Frame can not advance ? Or do I have to calculate this as well ?
OK, this is where it gets tricky. The tool will give you a preset delay and number of NPCs (usually only 1), just leave that and don't touch it. The problem with the wormhole legendaries stems with their method of encounter: you don't press "A" to trigger the battle but must step forward. Furthermore, to make things even worse the "lag" for some is not consistent. Anyway, here are a few tips to help you out:
1. Stand as close to the shadow/dust cloud/whatever as humanly possible. Save in front of it.
2. Proceed with the RNG as usual. Have your menu open (with X) to stop fidgeting.
3. Around the 5 second mark, push your Circle Pad up (this is so that when the timer hits 0, you can walk into the encounter right away).
4. When it hits 0, hit B to cancel the menu (with the Circle Pad still moved up) and enter the encounter. What this does is that it makes your motion consistent, which makes ascertaining the lag a little bit easier. It is tricky to get the hang of, but it does make it a bit easier to be consistent. Credit to Eisenherz for teaching me this little trick (and also, incidentally, for teaching me everything that I have thus far said to you).
5. The final tip I can give is a bit of an instinctive one, but useful nonetheless. As I said, the lag can be inconsistent depending on the legendary. If you find during your search (after you've already calibrated for a bit) for the frame you hit that you hit one considerably far off (+/- > ~50) then I would advise you to ignore it (provided your motion, as detailed above, was kept consistent). Just redo the RNG without recalibrating. My own experience has indicated these are the "outliers" and even when the delay is inconsistent, for, say, Zapdos, it usually fluctuated in the vicinity of 100 frames. Occasionally, I would get one outside those 100, and I ultimately figured I should just ignore them, because I kept doing the follow-up RNG and getting a lag that basically got me back to where I had started. Occasionally you'll run a cluster of outliers, but those are, obviously, rarer.

In answer to your last question, you only need to worry about calibrating the lag. Leave everything else as it is.

I want to rng abuse my TID in gen 4 to be able to nickname some event pokemon, but i am a little confused at to what the requirements are for me to be able to to do in gen 4. The smogon guide on RNG abusing your TID and SID in gen 4 only mentioned the trainer idea and player name, but I have found certain smogon guides to be wrong in the past. bulbipedia says that the TID, SID, and player name needs to match for nicknaming to work, so I wanted to ask if anyone knows which is true.

shiny finder

forever searching
is a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Chatot Wrangler
I want to rng abuse my TID in gen 4 to be able to nickname some event pokemon, but i am a little confused at to what the requirements are for me to be able to to do in gen 4. The smogon guide on RNG abusing your TID and SID in gen 4 only mentioned the trainer idea and player name, but I have found certain smogon guides to be wrong in the past. bulbipedia says that the TID, SID, and player name needs to match for nicknaming to work, so I wanted to ask if anyone knows which is true.
Only the TID iirc (I've found a few places/people around here to corroborate that).

From the Gen 4 guide:
Practical uses of ID/SID manipulation include:
Being able to nickname event Pokemon (and other trainers' Pokemon for that matter). To do this your Trainer ID must match up with the desired Pokemon's Trainer ID
If you see somewhere in our guides that has conflicting information or anything else that's wrong, let me know and I'll work on getting it corrected!

I've been trying to RNG Stakataka following both Djura's and this guide with no success. I saved in the patch of grass near the Ace Trainer, soft reset, get my seed, add 6 to the frame given to my desired spread, and follow the EonTimer guide. I don't have any CFW, so I'm wondering if I'm off on my timing, my pre-timer is wrong, or if I'm reading the clock hands wrong.

pilica12

I've been trying to RNG Stakataka following both Djura's and this guide with no success. I saved in the patch of grass near the Ace Trainer, soft reset, get my seed, add 6 to the frame given to my desired spread, and follow the EonTimer guide. I don't have any CFW, so I'm wondering if I'm off on my timing, my pre-timer is wrong, or if I'm reading the clock hands wrong.
For starters, if you're next to the Ace Trainer, you are almost certainly never going to hit it, since Stakataka's parameters has 0 NPCs accounted for; use this guide http://pokerng.forumcommunity.net/?t=59574488 for the best spot for each UB.

First, make sure you have the latest 3DSRNGTool (Mine is 1.03, there might have been an update recently I'm unaware of, though). Select Stakataka in the Wild RNG Tab, do not modify any parameters given to you (delay, #NPCs, correction, level range, rate of encounter etc.), set your Synch nature (if any), time within the game, your desired IVs, Hidden Power, and nature. Hit search (start frame of whatever the Main RNG Tool gives you --> 50000 is usually a good range). Find your desired frame, put that in the "target frame" box of the Main RNG Tool (bottom right hand box), then click calculate. Chuck the number it gives you into the "target frame" box in EonTimer; keep Pre-Timer at 2500 and do not touch it.

Enter the game as you hit the timer to start, open the menu with X at once and then hover over the bag. This prevents fidgeting, which messes up the frame progression. Enter the bag when timer hits 0, activate honey, catch the UB then verify its stats. Put them into the parameters in the calculator, click the "Target Frame +/-100" option (right hand part of the Tool), enter your target frame (with inputted parameters of your catch), then hit search. Find the frame you hit, then read the "Shift/F" column (it will be + or -). Add that number (so if there is a -, there will be a subtraction) to the target frame that you put in EonTimer, then put that new number in the "Frame Hit" box in EonTimer, then hit "Update". It will update your "lag" for you, which is basically changing the Pre-Timer. Soft-reset and try again.

Eventually, doing this and "calibrating" your timer thus, you will eventually hit your target.

Hope this is clear.

Christian

Veni, vidi, vici
I've successfully managed to RNG Abuse my ID / SID on a dead battery Emerald ROM. Now this PID 77DC683E (Timid, Method 1 spread, 31/00/31/31/30/31) will be shiny. My question is: how do I know which frame I need to land on to get this spread? (Assuming my Seed will always be 0, right?)
I’ve searched for this spread using 0 as seed but no results came out.

Last edited:
I've successfully managed to RNG Abuse my ID / SID on a dead battery Emerald ROM. Now this PID 77DC683E (Timid, Method 1 spread, 31/00/31/31/30/31) will be shiny. My question is: how do I know which frame I need to land on to get this spread? (Assuming my Seed will always be 0, right?)
I’ve searched for this spread using 0 as seed but no results came out.
The frame is 2734102745 which will take you around 3 or 4 weeks to reach it I think. That reminds me I still have to rage glitch that mew I caught for a GA

Christian

Veni, vidi, vici
The frame is 2734102745 which will take you around 3 or 4 weeks to reach it I think. That reminds me I still have to rage glitch that mew I caught for a GA
2 billion frames? :o

Is there anything I could do to shorten this period of time/frame? Did you ever go for such high frames on emu?

2 billion frames? :o

Is there anything I could do to shorten this period of time/frame? Did you ever go for such high frames on emu?
Encounter a wild pokemon to go twice as fast. You can use mew, if you just run from it and come back he'll be there. Or you could just restart a new sav file and hope the seed gives you a low frame (like in FR/LG)
Yes I have gone that high, I mean you just let the emulator run, its easy.

Attachments

Could I have some help with RNG. I am trying to do the cute charm glitch on Pokemon Pearl. I am trying for both a trainer ID and Secret ID of 38577. When I tried I got 58395. I tried typing my results into seed finder in Pandora's box however it keeps giving me an error that says "Invalid year (2000 =< Year =< 2099" This is what my screen looks like without the error message, what I was aiming for is highlighted in the Seed to Times window. This is the screen with the error message. This keeps happening no matter what year I type. I was on step 4 of part 4 of the gen 4 RNG guide. Am I following the guide wrong or what do I have to do to surpass this?

shiny finder

forever searching
Chatot Wrangler
Welcome to Smogon! What version of the RNG Reporter are you using? Typing in the same info, I get results in 10.3.4 for example. Filled out the info and clicked the right-most "Find compatible seeds" button to get the image in the hide tags. I don't see a Gen 3 tab in your SS, so my guess is you're using an outdated (and possibly bugged) version.

1526849388610.png

Thanks. I was using version 9.95 BETA. I originally tried the version it said in the article but that was filled with more bugs. Thanks for sharing the link to the latest version with me! Still I have a few questions, are you suppost to set the time on your DS's clock to the time it shows on the seed to times or that with the minutes before target subtracted on Eontimer? Also you are suppost to start Eontimer when the second tick is on the seconds correct? Finally what am I suppost to do when two different seeds show up in seed finder. For the former two I believe I am suppost to set the clock with the minutes subtracted and start eontimer when the second happens on the DS's clock.

Edit:Okay I was trying and I'm pretty sure I got everything right for dual 38577 IDs. However I got the ID shown in this picture instead. I am sure I set my DS to the correct time, I calibrated Eontimer to the first incorrect ID I got starting with the DS clock time that had the Eontimer minutes before target. I calculated the dual 38577 IDs using the 9.95 Beta version however for everything afterwards I've been using the latest version from the link you gave me. Do you have any idea where I could have messed up?

Last edited:

shiny finder

forever searching
Chatot Wrangler
Glad it's working out :)

You set the time on your DS with the minutes subtracted on the Eon Timer. From section 1 of the guide:

guide said:
For this section we will be trying to hit seed 0x11111111 using the date 7/28/12 and time 17:54:23 (See the highlighted option in the above picture. If you are attempting to hit another seed, know that you will only need the DATE and TIME for this part....Take note of the Minutes Before Target option; see how it's 2? We'll have to take that into account when we change our time. Our target time is 17:54:23, so simply subtract 2 MINUTES from the time (remember, the format is hours:minutes:seconds) to give us a time of 17:52 and change the DS clock as follows [image with DS time set to 17:52].
I'm afraid I don't quite know what you mean by "second tick", but you start the Eon Timer at the exact same time you set the time on your DS. When the 1st timer ends, launch the game from the DS menu (alternatively, what I like to do is set the time/start the timer at the same time and immediately launch the game. SR when the first timer ends, which would take into account any delay in your DS launching the game). Advance through the menus, and push A on that last screen as described in the guide when the second timer ends. If 2 different seeds show up, there's really not much you can do. Try to pick the more reasonable one, as one will likely have an unlikely delay or seconds hit. If they're both equally reasonable...you might just have to pick one and hope. Or try a different seed I suppose.

From the results, you're hitting :47 seconds rather than :23. Which basically means you aren't starting your game at the correct time. My guess would be your coordination with the Eon Timer with when you are starting your game. Try the process I described above if you aren't and that should get you a lot closer to your target.

If that doesn't work, a last-ditch-effort would be to change your target seconds in the Eon Timer to 59 and start your game "Minutes Before Target" + 1 as it currently says in the Eon Timer (the setup on my ends looks like you need to start 2 min before your target currently). Assuming that matches what's on your end: Do the exact same thing you just did to get that 27741 ID, but set the target time to 59 and set the time on your DS to 3 minutes before the target. Essentially I'm trying to decrease the first timer by 24 seconds without changing the second timer, which is what you want to do. I think this would work.

Last edited:
Thank you I know what I was doing wrong now. On the DS there is a clock. What I meant by second tick was the second hand moving on the clock. For this I was waiting until the second hand hit 23 before starting Eon Timer instead of doing it when I set the time. I think I know what to do now. Thank you so much for your help.

Okay so I'm trying to RNG an ID of 00000 (4th gen) but don't know what year to hit since the seed to time doesn't works on high delays.
Can anyone figure it out? The seed I want to hit is 141F057C

shiny finder

forever searching
Chatot Wrangler
Okay so I'm trying to RNG an ID of 00000 (4th gen) but don't know what year to hit since the seed to time doesn't works on high delays.
Can anyone figure it out? The seed I want to hit is 141F057C
If all you're after is that TID, there are plenty of seeds that give you a TID of 00000 that are fine with the Seed to Time tool. That aside, I can't find that seed in Pandora's box or get it to work, so I'm not sure on that front.

As far as the year goes, it's almost arbitrary. Pandora's box will output the delay for whatever year you entered. Adding a year to that will decrease the required delay by 1 (and conversely decreasing the year adds 1 to the delay). So if you know what the delay is for one year, you should be able to figure out what it is for any year. Unless you don't know what the required delay is, which begs the question how did you get that seed or know that the delay is high?

If all you're after is that TID, there are plenty of seeds that give you a TID of 00000 that are fine with the Seed to Time tool. That aside, I can't find that seed in Pandora's box or get it to work, so I'm not sure on that front.

As far as the year goes, it's almost arbitrary. Pandora's box will output the delay for whatever year you entered. Adding a year to that will decrease the required delay by 1 (and conversely decreasing the year adds 1 to the delay). So if you know what the delay is for one year, you should be able to figure out what it is for any year. Unless you don't know what the required delay is, which begs the question how did you get that seed or know that the delay is high?
The Delay is around the 520000s. The frame gives me an specific SID for a flawless spread so I can't pick any other seed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 8)