Most shocking stuff from Gen V?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So guys, after most of us got a chance to (ab)use Pokémon Online's Gen V server and tested most pokes, we got a clearer chance to see what are some cool nichés, new sweepers, or just got underwhelmed by some stuff.
Here's some stuff that come to mind.

First of all, my favorite Gen V pokémon, Shandera. Shadow Tag (which may be banned until its official release), paired with a decent typing and 145 base Special Attack seemed way too broken, at first. Granted, in practice, pick 2 moves out of Sub / Calm Mind / Nitro Charge and you've pretty much guaranteed 2 kills when played correctly, or could just go for a Choice set.

What went wrong? Pursuit, pursuit everywhere. Shandera may have a somewhat devent bulk (60/90/90), but that's nowhere near enought to survive the ever present sandstorm/drizzle teams. Even after a Nitro Charge with timid, there's a lot of fast poké that can outrun and revenge. And finally, U-Turn scouting has been really popular.

Doryuuzu. Oh, you knew this was coming. Before Pokémon Online, nobody made too much of a big fuzz about this tiny mole. However, after a couple of days, it pretty much became the #1 thread when in Sandstorm (provided by Tyranitar, who casually, walls Shandera to no end, or by Hippowdon). To outrun a Dory in the sand, you need a base speed of 136 with a Choice Scarf. So, some people just started hitting 334 speed to outrun 'chomp after seeing there's not outrunning the mole. What's more, Dory can actually hit harder that Garchomp, making it really dangerous.
Sure, there's a handful of pokes than can revenge it, like CB Roobushin, and the only decent switch ins I can think of are Burunkeru (and needs to avoid the rare Shadow Claw) or Erufuun, who can only come in Swords Dance and encore it, forcing it out. Or, you could just hope Stun Spore doesnt miss.

Speaking of, Erufuun surprised a lot of us. Priority support is extremely sweet in a 'metagame' like this. Erufuun has some nice choices, such as Stun Spore, Taunt, Substitute, Encore, U-Turn, Memento, Switcheroo, and Leech Seed. It can come with impunity on pretty much any support move and encore it, forcing the foe away. It can take Blissey one on one thank to taunt, substitute, and leech seed. Or, it may just cripple a sweeper with Stun Spore or Switcheroo.
Erufuun can do all sorts of stuff, but there's some bad news. First, the now popular Espeon shuts it down badly. Besides, Eru's defenses aren't something to be proud of, even with big investment. A super-effective move in a predicted Taunt will most likely OHKO or severly damage the cotton fluff.

I could keep talking about many pokes, but for the time being, I'll just mention the amazing Nattorei/Burunkeru core.
These guys provide an amazing defensive combination, perfectly covering each other's weaknesses, as well as supporting the team. Nattorei gets Spikes, Stealth Rock, Explosion, and Leech Seed, whereas Burunkeru has Recover, Boiling Water, Will-o-Wisp, Toxic, and blocks Rapid Spin.

So, what other pokemon do think have a good potential in the new metagame? Old and new pokémon alike, though. Remember, this thread is not about discussing bans or tiers. Just stuff that can prove useful, as well as revamped or overhyped pokes. (lol blaziken)

Nastyjungle

JACKED and sassy
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Scarfchomp finds a home in the metagame once again, it does its job and it does it well. Good speed and amazing attack make it just as effective as it was in 4th gen; often netting at least 1 kill and is a great late game sweeper. Once its counters have been taken care of, it proves to be a very hard Pokemon to take down, its natural bulk aiding it.

An excellent addition to nearly every team, and goes in perfect rhythm with the naturally fast-paced offensive metagame.
Not really anything shocking, per say, but something worth mentioning.

You have pretty much everything covered. However, I've seen quite a bit of skymin around. Good speed, serene grace, air slash, and seed flare make it a beast, and the best switch in to a seed flare? skymin. Also, the best switch in to dory is Breloom. If they are CB'd they tend to use EQ, and otherwise they use SD. Technician Mach Punch is simply amazing. I ran a SD set with lefties, and it still Ko's nearly everything. With LO it is more devestating.

Also, a surprise on my part is a total of 1 extreme speed user being used, and even then rarely. I saw one lucario, thats it. Lucario has potential by spamming +2 extremespeed, but I suppose no one thinks its better than breloom. I've also seen quite a bit of the fighting dark mon, which is very easy to kill and is over rated.

Erufunn is the most annoying thing ever. Leech seed drains your HP so fast, even though its easy to do 40% HP or more. If its played well it can shut down anything. The good thing is it dies to a +2 mach punch from breloom or a CB scizor BP.

I haven't seen a single espeon, an either way it isn't much use. Only really a Erfunn counter. That and with all the T-tars running around its not worth it.

Blaziken isn't metagame breaking, sadly. Erufuun is annoying and will probably be a top threat in the metagame. Stall is actually more resistant than ever before.

alphatron

Volt turn in every tier! I'm in despair!
Did people actually use this shell break cloyster while the pokemon online 5th gen server was up?

Blaziken isn't metagame breaking, sadly. Erufuun is annoying and will probably be a top threat in the metagame. Stall is actually more resistant than ever before.
Lol, when BSTs were first revealed, everyone kept squealing, "Stall is dead. FML"

Did people actually use this shell break cloyster while the pokemon online 5th gen server was up?
I did, but only for a brief period of time in which I was experimenting with the whole system (never having used PO before). I was highly unsuccessful, since I suck :D

I did, but only for a brief period of time in which I was experimenting with the whole system (never having used PO before). I was highly unsuccessful, since I suck :D
I used it for exactly 20 matches, as a lead. Seems broken at first, but with priority everywhere, it's not no good. Being with to the omni present Mach Punch means Cloyster's on a counter.

Zuruzukin is one of the biggest surprises. His bulk and STABs allow him to counter the BerunTorei cores. He also checks Doryuuzu, dragons(Ice Punch), and Shanderaa.

Blaziken isn't so "lol" when you face someone who knows how to use it, and when to use it. Honestly, lots of people just bring him so early/mid game it isn't even funny. Do your scouting and weaken the other team's pokes before you go for the cleanup sweep with your Blaziken. Please.
He is a clean up sweeper just like Infernape was in gen4, and should be played in such a way. Not go for a full sweep when everything is not weakened enough for you to KO. If you play Blaziken properly, he is truly a beast to be reckoned with, just like what Infernape did.

Also, the metagame now doesn't really determine anything at the moment. Everyone is mostly just trying out new Pokes rather than using older pokes. Just because there are very few Lucarios, Scizors, Latias, Latios, etc. it doesn't really mean much. When things get settled, with more players, more development in move sets, strategies, and combos then we'll start to see a whole new metagame.

Shandera is also my favourite Pokemon new in 5th gen. Shadow Tag helps its revenge killing abilities so well.
Shell Break on Cloyster = not a new Pokemon but has become one of my favourites

Oh right, another guy I missed.

Dennis, aka Genosect. I admit I didnt run into many of those, but I tested one myself. Prettyful, to say the least. With a Scarf and access to BoltBeamThrower and U-Turn or Bug Buzz, this words "It's Super Effective" will pop up a lot in the screen, as the foes' HP vanishes away. Even without the download boost, Dennis hits really hard and doesn't require too much prediction, since the switch ins are usually the same (non fire type flamethrowerers).
Such a shame his siggy move is totally useless, unless Dennis is holding the Aqua Cassette.

Ditto is probably the best revenge killer out there, but too often you can predict its move and switch in something like shandera to kill it. Particularly when it uses an obvious seed flare or mach punch.

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Sorry, we're really not looking for speculation right now. Especially not speculation based on Pokemon + abilities combinations that don't exist in the game yet! There is a dream world thread where you can post thoughts on those Pokemon though and the individual Pokemon threads where you can post your impressions on the Pokemon that do exist.

Remember, Dream World Pokemon will not be allowed in any of the metagames that Smogon supports until they have been actually released!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)