Movepool Final Submission Format

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quanyails

On sabbatical!
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
(Approved by DHR.)

Hey, all! reachzero commented about having to wade through dozens of movepool submissions for CAP 25 and how it was hard to check that movepools were legal. We currently lack a specific Final Submission format, but we do have an unofficial one that serves purposes quite well. Let's make it official, so it's easier for voters to compare submissions and the TLT to approve them.

Here's a proposal Final Submission section for the CAP Movepool OP:

--

Final Submission Post

Only make one (1) final submission post. If you wish to alter any aspect of your final submission, then edit your post. Do not make a new one, even if you delete your original post. Any deleting and re-posting will be treated as bumping and is subject to moderation.

All final submission posts must conform to the following format:
  • The first line of the post must have the words "Final Submission" in bold on its own line. No other text may be included before the bold heading.
  • A blank line
  • A brief explanation of the entire movepool (optional)
  • A series of spoiler tags containing move learn sources, with required moves in bold and repeated moves in italics:
  • A list of 1 - 3 evolution moves. (Optional, if applicable.)
  • A list in the form "#: move", where "#" is a number from 1 to 100 representing the level the Pokemon learns a move.
  • A brief explanation of the moves learned this way.
The list of level-up moves should be ordered from 1 to 100, ascending.
  • A list of moves.
The list of moves should be alphabetized.
  • "Egg group(s): " followed by 1 - 2 egg groups for that Pokemon.
  • An empty list of egg moves, if the egg group is "Undiscovered" or "Gender unknown".
  • A list of the form "move: (parent Pokemon)", if the egg group is not "Undiscovered" or "Gender unknown". "Parent Pokemon" is at least one parent that can breed the move onto the Pokemon. The list of parents can be shortened if there are many possible parents.
The list of egg moves should be alphabetized.
  • A list of the form "TM##: move", where the TM number corresponds to the TM for the current generation.
The list of TM moves should be ordered by TM order.

TM01: Work Up
TM02: Dragon Claw
TM03: Psyshock
TM04: Calm Mind
TM05: Roar
TM06: Toxic
TM07: Hail
TM08: Bulk Up
TM09: Venoshock
TM10: Hidden Power
TM11: Sunny Day
TM12: Taunt
TM13: Ice Beam
TM14: Blizzard
TM15: Hyper Beam
TM16: Light Screen
TM17: Protect
TM18: Rain Dance
TM19: Roost
TM20: Safeguard
TM21: Frustration
TM22: Solar Beam
TM23: Smack Down
TM24: Thunderbolt
TM25: Thunder
TM26: Earthquake
TM27: Return
TM28: Leech Life
TM29: Psychic
TM30: Shadow Ball
TM31: Brick Break
TM32: Double Team
TM33: Reflect
TM34: Sludge Wave
TM35: Flamethrower
TM36: Sludge Bomb
TM37: Sandstorm
TM38: Fire Blast
TM39: Rock Tomb
TM40: Aerial Ace
TM41: Torment
TM42: Facade
TM43: Flame Charge
TM44: Rest
TM45: Attract

TM46: Thief
TM47: Low Sweep
TM48: Round
TM49: Echoed Voice
TM50: Overheat
TM51: Steel Wing
TM52: Focus Blast
TM53: Energy Ball
TM54: False Swipe
TM55: Scald
TM56: Fling
TM57: Charge Beam
TM58: Sky Drop
TM59: Brutal Swing
TM60: Quash
TM61: Will-O-Wisp
TM62: Acrobatics
TM63: Embargo
TM64: Explosion
TM65: Shadow Claw
TM66: Payback
TM67: Smart Strike
TM68: Giga Impact
TM69: Rock Polish
TM70: Aurora Veil
TM71: Stone Edge
TM72: Volt Switch
TM73: Thunder Wave
TM74: Gyro Ball
TM75: Swords Dance
TM76: Fly
TM77: Psych Up
TM78: Bulldoze
TM79: Frost Breath
TM80: Rock Slide
TM81: X-Scissor
TM82: Dragon Tail
TM83: Infestation
TM84: Poison Jab
TM85: Dream Eater
TM86: Grass Knot
TM87: Swagger
TM88: Sleep Talk

TM89: U-turn
TM90: Substitute
TM91: Flash Cannon
TM92: Trick Room
TM93: Wild Charge
TM94: Surf
TM95: Snarl
TM96: Nature Power
TM97: Dark Pulse
TM98: Waterfall
TM99: Dazzling Gleam
TM100: Confide
  • A list of move tutor moves from the current generation.
The list of tutor moves should be alphabetized.

After You
Ally Switch
Aqua Tail
Bind
Block
Bounce
Bug Bite
Covet
Defog
Dragon Pulse
Drain Punch
Drill Run
Dual Chop
Earth Power
Electroweb
Endeavor
Fire Punch
Focus Punch
Foul Play
Gastro Acid
Giga Drain
Gravity
Gunk Shot
Heal Bell
Heat Wave
Helping Hand
Hyper Voice
Ice Punch
Icy Wind
Iron Defense
Iron Head
Knock Off
Laser Focus
Last Resort
Liquidation
Low Kick
Magic Coat
Magnet Rise
Outrage
Pain Split
Recycle
Role Play
Seed Bomb
Shock Wave
Signal Beam
Skill Swap
Sky Attack
Snatch
Snore
Spite
Stealth Rock
Stomping Tantrum
Super Fang
Superpower
Synthesis
Tailwind
Telekinesis
Throat Chop
Thunder Punch
Trick
Uproar
Water Pulse
Wonder Room
Worry Seed
Zen Headbutt

Tutor moves that are learned only by specific Pokemon:

Draco Meteor (universal for Dragon-type Pokemon)
Grass Pledge
Fire Pledge
Water Pledge
Frenzy Plant
Blast Burn
Hydro Cannon
Volt Tackle
Secret Sword
Relic Song
  • A list of event distribution Pokemon in PokemonTeamSyntax. (I.e., the format Pokemon Showdown uses).
  • A list of all moves in the movepool.

--

Final Submission

Jumbao is a Pokemon that is honourable, first and foremost. It has rules when it fights, and it doesn't break them - Jumbao is not one which will steal an opponent's item, or steal their moves. It is also a Pokemon that helps its allies when they need help, and is not so proud as to not accept help in return. These are the sorts of aspects I've played up throughout the design.

In particular, you will note that Jumbao in this movepool never throws a kick or a punch, in line with Sumo Rules. Jumbao always puts it's whole body into it's contact blows - this is why, for instance, Superpower is in the tutors, whilst Low Sweep and Kick are not.

1 Shore Up
1: Lucky Chant
1: Fake Out
1: Detect
1: Flower Shield
1: Tackle
1: Leafage
3: Tackle
7: Leafage
10: Rototiller
14: Ingrain
17: Magical Leaf
21: Wish
24: Psych Up
28: Body Slam
31: Natural Gift
35: Sunny Day
35: Flame Burst
38: Bullet Seed
42: Heavy Slam
45: Energy Ball
49: Moonblast
52: Leaf Storm

A fairly standard Level Up pattern, with a clean alternation of 3 and 4 levels (excluding the duet at Level 35) - no change in the learn pace, similar to mons like Tsareena and Drampa. 52 as last move level brings us in line with most ORAS G7 Pokemon, such as Tsareena, Shiinotic, and Lurantis.

Bulky Sumo Inspiration
Jumbao, even though it's a Special Attacker, has a lot of design elements which imply some physical strength and weight - indeed, a lot of people have picked up on the slightly Sumo-esque build. As such, I've decided to emphasise these traits throughout the movepool with a fairly physical bias, adding in moves like Tackle, Body Slam, and Heavy Slam. These are all moves associated with Weight, or with Heavy Pokemon.

Given Jumbao's build and "non-flexible" arms, I have decided against giving it a collection of 'throw' moves, or moves which would require complicated arm movements. However, to add sumo techniques which aren't relying on throws, I've given Jumbao Detect (mimicking the henka dodge - this is something more common from weaker sumo wrestlers, hence why it's so early in the movepool), Fake Out (slapping is kosher in Sumo, and the move is duplicated from Hariyama's movepool) and Psych Up, which reflects on the shikiri ritual at the start of a sumo bout. Lucky Chant is the last of my 'Sumo' moves in the Level Up movepool aside from the damage dealers, and it's in the Heart Scale moves because Sumo Referees are known to chant before a match starts.

Even the levels are reasonably in tune! The second strongest 'Sumo' move we have (Body Slam) is at Level 28 - the number of wrestlers ranked at "Jūryō" level, which is the second highest rank. Level 42 has our strongest 'Sumo' move in Heavy Slam, which is the number of wrestlers ranked at "Makuuchi" level, which is the highest sumo rank.

Green Thumb'd Tree
Jumbao naturally brings sunlight, it only follows that it also brings with it a knack for Gardening. Indeed, it is very capable of providing the setting a berry needs to grow into a full tree. First, it manages to get berries down from a tree with moves like Tackle, and it then makes sure that the soil is appropriate by plowing it with Rototiller, and once the berry is planted it protects it with Flower Shield. Jumbao then patiently waits and prays, with moves like Ingrain and Wish. Then, once the tree has grown, it gathers the fresh fruit by tackling with a Body Slam, before consuming the beries or otherwise using them through Natural Gift.

Suns Out, Guns Out!
Pipotchi's design for Jumbao is notable for it's sap-firing cannons. At Level 35, Jumbao brings in the Sun and begins using these cannons, with moves like Flame Burst, Moonblast, Energy Ball, and Bullet Seed all appearing at the latter end of the movepool.

And yes, I am very proud of that pun. I don't think anyone else is, but that's neither here nor there :P

Tree Aesthetics
Killing me to not call them Treesthetics...
Jumbao is a tree, and I felt the best way to not forget that fact was to pick the "Leaf" Grass Moves throughout the movepool. That's Leafage, Magical Leaf, and capped off with Leaf Storm. These points are compounded by the 'gardening' moves mentioned earlier.

Miscellaneous Items
I think we've got pretty much everything? Shore Up is in the Heart Scale department because I'm stubborn and won't add 'Amorphous' to the Egg Groups, and there's no real spot to place it otherwise.

I've decided against including an Evo move - they aren't mandatory by a long shot, and I don't see any pressing need for them on this movepool.
Egg Group: Grass

Grassy Terrain (Exeggutor)
Healing Wish (Cherrim)
Misty Terrain (Cottonee)
Smelling Salts (Cacnea)
Wood Hammer (Exeggutor)

Grassy Terrain & Misty Terrain
I'm stuck for how to describe these beyond "they match Jumbao's types and other similar Pokemon get them". Sorry ^^;

Healing Wish
This one's mandatory! It's down here because I couldn't find a particularly appropriate spot in the Level Up pool, and the only other Grass types to pick it up by Level Up are Legendary (Shaymin and Celebi).

Smelling Salts
The practice of throwing salt at a sumo bout is well known, and Smelling Salts is already well established as the move of choice when it comes to having mons make reference to the practice.

Wood Hammer
It's a BIG tree. See my lack of inspiration for novels in Grassy Terrain and Misty Terrain :P

---

Also, because it amuses me, most of the Egg movepool (Misty Terrain, Healing Wish, Smelling Salts) requires some form of chain breeding to make their way over here, which is cute enough that I'm mentioning it.
Block
Giga Drain
Gravity
Helping Hand
Magic Coat
Magic Room
Seed Bomb
Snore
Superpower
Synthesis
Wonder Room
Worry Seed

Mystical Moves
Gravity, Magic Coat, Magic Room, and Wonder Room: They all come from the same "mystical" background that a lot of Jumbao's moves come from. Helping Hand is also often associated with mystical mons and Fairies, and works well as an indicator of how Jumbao will help others.

Grass Collection
Synthesis, Worry Seed, Giga Drain, and Seed Bomb all pull strictly from Jumbao's grass typing.

Sumo Influences
More of these! Superpower is a 'Sumo' move that stays within the rules of Sumo - simply being Super Strong ain't cheating, unlike moves like Low Kick or Focus Punch. Block is included here as a move that is very distinct of heavy Pokemon, which naturally matches the sumo motif.
TM06 Toxic
TM08 Bulk Up
TM10 Hidden Power
TM11 Sunny Day
TM15 Hyper Beam
TM16 Light Screen
TM17 Protect
TM20 Safeguard
TM21 Frustration
TM22 Solar Beam
TM27 Return
TM30 Shadow Ball
TM31 Brick Break
TM32 Double Team
TM37 Sandstorm
TM42 Facade
TM44 Rest
TM45 Attract
TM48 Round
TM52 Focus Blast
TM53 Energy Ball
TM64 Explosion
TM68 Giga Impact
TM74 Gyro Ball
TM77 Psych Up
TM78 Bulldoze
TM86 Grass Knot
TM87 Swagger
TM88 Sleep Talk
TM90 Substitute
TM99 Dazzling Gleam
TM100 Confide

TMs are broadly expected - a mix of duplicates, required moves, and moves you would associate with Grass-types, Fairy-types, and Heavier mons.

Moves which might be controversial, or are otherwise interesting/potentially different:

Explosion
Explosion is commonly associated with mons which are, well, big. Fellow Fire-Move-Using-Grass-Type Gourgeist also picks up the move.

Brick Break
Whilst Brick Break can be associated with punching (Something I wish to avoid), the fact that Pokemon like Toucannon get the move (Toucannon has no arms :P) implies that there is not an inherent punch - just barrier breaking.

Bulldoze
I was umming and ahhing on this one for a while - Bulldoze alone without Earthquake can sometimes be a bit uncouth, but there are some instances where you'd expect to see it. Ultimately I've gone with it - fellow multi-weather abuser Heliolisk also has Bulldoze without Earthquake, for instance.

Bulk Up
In case you weren't clear that I've gone fairly heavy on Sumo references, a move about 'adding weight to fight' ought to clarify the matter.
Attract
Block
Body Slam
Brick Break
Bulldoze
Bulk Up
Bullet Seed
Confide
Dazzling Gleam
Detect
Double Team
Energy Ball
Explosion
Facade
Fake Out
Flame Burst
Flower Shield
Focus Blast
Frustration
Giga Drain
Giga Impact
Grass Knot
Grassy Terrain
Gravity
Gyro Ball
Healing Wish
Heavy Slam
Helping Hand
Hidden Power
Hyper Beam
Ingrain
Leaf Storm
Leafage
Light Screen
Lucky Chant
Magic Coat
Magic Room
Magical Leaf
Misty Terrain
Moonblast
Natural Gift
Protect
Psych Up
Rest
Return
Rototiller
Round
Safeguard
Sandstorm
Seed Bomb
Shadow Ball
Shore Up
Sleep Talk
Smelling Salts
Snore
Solar Beam
Substitute
Sunny Day
Superpower
Swagger
Synthesis
Tackle
Toxic
Wish
Wonder Room
Wood Hammer
Worry Seed

--

Let me know what you think!

Last edited:

Frostbiyt

Not Exactly Helping
  • A list in the form "#: move", where "#" is a number from 1 to 100 representing the level the Pokemon learns a move.
  • A list of moves.
  • An empty list of egg moves, if the egg group is "Undiscovered" or "Gender unknown".
  • A list of the form "move: (parent Pokemon)", if the egg group is not "Undiscovered" or "Gender unknown". "Parent Pokemon" is at least one parent that can breed the move onto the Pokemon. The list of parents can be shortened if there are many possible parents.
  • A list of the form "TM##: move", where the TM number corresponds to the TM for the current generation.
  • A list of event distribution Pokemon in PokemonTeamSyntax. (I.e., the format Pokemon Showdown uses).
I think this is great, I was surprised when I went to make a movepool and there was no specified format to follow and this will be very helpful for those who need to check the movepools.
  • The first line of the post must have the words "Final Submission" in bold on its own line. No other text may be included before the bold heading.
  • A blank line
  • The text "Bold - required move"
  • The text "Italics - repeated move"
  • A blank line
This is fairly minor, but I feel like this part is needlessly precise. As long as the submission has all of the moves sorted correctly and is easy to identify with "Final Submission" at the top, it should be fine. The bold and italicized moves can be required, but I think mandating that this must be stated at the start of the post with the proper number of line breaks and that the description must be after the "The text 'Italics - repeated move'" line, but before the movepool itself is just pointless. Here's what I would do:

All final submission posts must include the following:
  • A series of spoiler tags containing move learn sources with required moves in Bold and repeated moves in Italics:
  • A list of moves.
Optionally, a brief description may be included before or after the movepool

Reactions: Mx
As someone who leaded the movepool stage once, I strongly agree that better guidelines would improve the stage a lot. I would also like to suggest adding a complete list of available TMs and tutors to the OP, because currently submitters have to manually compile their own, which is not only tedious, but also makes it very easy to accidentally skip an important TM/Tutor (This can lead to things like Kerfluffle's ORAS movepool, where Secret Power, an universal TM, was accidentally omitted).

As for the details of the submission, I have to agree with Frostbiyt, if every submission has to use bold and italics to mark required and repeated moves, then it's unnecessary for each individual submission to state this at the top.

Frostbiyt

Not Exactly Helping
I've got some more minor edits for the sake of brevity
Final Submission Post

Only make one (1) final submission post. If you wish to alter any aspect of your final submission, then edit your post. Do not make a new one, even if you delete your original post. Any deleting and re-posting will be treated as bumping and is subject to moderation.

• The first line of the post must only have the words "Final Submission" in bold on its own line. No other text may be included before the bold heading. (redundant)
  • A blank line
  • A series of spoiler tags containing move learn sources, with required moves in bold and repeated moves in italics:
  • An ascending list in the form "#: move", where "#" is a number from 1 to 100 representing the level the Pokemon learns a move.
  • An alphabetical list of moves.
  • An alphabetized list of the form "move: (parent Pokemon)", if the egg group is not "Undiscovered" or "Gender unknown". "Parent Pokemon" is at least one parent that can breed the move onto the Pokemon. The list of parents can be shortened if there are many possible parents.
  • An ascending list of the form "TM##: move", where the TM number corresponds to the TM for the current generation.

I think this should be put with other resources to reduce clutter in the rules and to make it easier to update when new games are released:

TM01: Work UpTM02: Dragon ClawTM03: PsyshockTM04: Calm MindTM05: RoarTM06: ToxicTM07: HailTM08: Bulk UpTM09: VenoshockTM10: Hidden PowerTM11: Sunny DayTM12: TauntTM13: Ice BeamTM14: BlizzardTM15: Hyper BeamTM16: Light ScreenTM17: ProtectTM18: Rain DanceTM19: RoostTM20: SafeguardTM21: FrustrationTM22: Solar BeamTM23: Smack DownTM24: ThunderboltTM25: ThunderTM26: EarthquakeTM27: ReturnTM28: Leech LifeTM29: PsychicTM30: Shadow BallTM31: Brick BreakTM32: Double TeamTM33: ReflectTM34: Sludge WaveTM35: FlamethrowerTM36: Sludge BombTM37: SandstormTM38: Fire BlastTM39: Rock TombTM40: Aerial AceTM41: TormentTM42: FacadeTM43: Flame ChargeTM44: RestTM45: AttractTM46: ThiefTM47: Low SweepTM48: RoundTM49: Echoed VoiceTM50: OverheatTM51: Steel WingTM52: Focus BlastTM53: Energy BallTM54: False SwipeTM55: ScaldTM56: FlingTM57: Charge BeamTM58: Sky DropTM59: Brutal SwingTM60: QuashTM61: Will-O-WispTM62: AcrobaticsTM63: EmbargoTM64: ExplosionTM65: Shadow ClawTM66: PaybackTM67: Smart StrikeTM68: Giga ImpactTM69: Rock PolishTM70: Aurora VeilTM71: Stone EdgeTM72: Volt SwitchTM73: Thunder WaveTM74: Gyro BallTM75: Swords DanceTM76: FlyTM77: Psych UpTM78: BulldozeTM79: Frost BreathTM80: Rock SlideTM81: X-ScissorTM82: Dragon TailTM83: InfestationTM84: Poison JabTM85: Dream EaterTM86: Grass KnotTM87: SwaggerTM88: Sleep TalkTM89: U-turnTM90: SubstituteTM91: Flash CannonTM92: Trick RoomTM93: Wild ChargeTM94: SurfTM95: SnarlTM96: Nature PowerTM97: Dark PulseTM98: WaterfallTM99: Dazzling GleamTM100: Confide
Not sure why, but the formatting got messed up here
  • An alphabetized list of move tutor moves from the current generation.

Again, I think this should be in a separate section:

After You
Ally Switch
Aqua Tail
Bind
Block
Bounce
Bug Bite
Covet
Defog
Dragon Pulse
Drain Punch
Drill Run
Dual Chop
Earth Power
Electroweb
Endeavor
Fire Punch
Focus Punch
Foul Play
Gastro Acid
Giga Drain
Gravity
Gunk Shot
Heal Bell
Heat Wave
Helping Hand
Hyper Voice
Ice Punch
Icy Wind
Iron Defense
Iron Head
Knock Off
Laser Focus
Last Resort
Liquidation
Low Kick
Magic Coat
Magnet Rise
Outrage
Pain Split
Recycle
Role Play
Seed Bomb
Shock Wave
Signal Beam
Skill Swap
Sky Attack
Snatch
Snore
Spite
Stealth Rock
Stomping Tantrum
Super Fang
Superpower
Synthesis
Tailwind
Telekinesis
Throat Chop
Thunder Punch
Trick
Uproar
Water Pulse
Wonder Room
Worry Seed
Zen Headbutt

Tutor moves that are learned only by specific Pokemon:

Draco Meteor (universal for Dragon-type Pokemon)
Grass Pledge
Fire Pledge
Water Pledge
Frenzy Plant
Blast Burn
Hydro Cannon
Volt Tackle
Secret Sword
Relic Song
  • An alphabetized list of all moves in the movepool.
Here's how it would be after edits:
Final Submission Post

• The first line of the post must have only the words "Final Submission" in bold.
  • A blank line
  • An ascending list in the form "#: move", where "#" is a number from 1 to 100 representing the level the Pokemon learns a move.
  • An alphabetical list of moves.
  • An alphabetized list of the form "move: (parent Pokemon)", if the egg group is not "Undiscovered" or "Gender unknown". "Parent Pokemon" is at least one parent that can breed the move onto the Pokemon. The list of parents can be shortened if there are many possible parents.
  • An ascending list of the form "TM##: move", where the TM number corresponds to the TM for the current generation.
  • An alphabetized list of move tutor moves from the current generation.
  • A brief explanation of the moves learned this way
  • An alphabetized list of all moves in the movepool.

Quanyails

On sabbatical!
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Frostbiyt, as said on Discord:
  • The wording for the final submission post is the same as that in the Names/Pokedex submissions. I'd like to keep the wording consistent, whether that means keeping all three or changing all three.
  • Having a list be ordered requires specifying what it is ordered by.
  • I would also prefer to keep the list of TMs/tutor moves in the appropriate section, since movepool makers will be referencing that section of the template when building that section of the movepool.

Birkal

We have the technology.
is a Top Artistis a Top CAP Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
This seems like a no-brainer. Quanyails please add this to the OP repository, and we'll make sure to push this through with CAP26.

Overall, this was a pretty short PRC thread. Shoot me a PM if you have any additional thoughts on this. Otherwise, we're moving on!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)