CAP 22 CAP 22 - Part 10 - Complete Movepool Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

nyttyn

From Now On, We'll...
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Here in this thread, users may make complete movepool submissions for Kerfluffle. At the conclusion of this thread, our movepool leader Deck Knight will be compiling a slate of Final Submissions for the community to vote on, and the winning submission will become the official movepool for CAP22.

We recently made significant changes to our policies regarding movepools, so do not assume that rules from past CAP projects apply. See this Policy Review thread for more information about the new rules.

We've had a discussion of movesets, which identified the competitive movesets we intend to be the most viable in standard OU play. Please see the concluding post in that thread, as well as the following poll, for more information on those movesets.

The following rules apply to all Movepool Submissions:

• The movepool can contain a maximum of 65 total moves. You may have less than or equal to 65 moves, but not more.
  • There are no longer any limits to the number of Restricted Moves, as mentioned in articles on the CAP subsite and past CAP projects.
  • All movepools must have all the Mandatory Moves listed below.
  • No movepool may contain any of the Banned Moves listed below.
  • Any move not listed as Banned is provisionally allowed.
  • The Movepool Leader (Deck Knight) and Topic Leader (cbraven, cbeaver, cbrave, cloud's final smash) may add Banned moves during the course of this thread. If that happens, there will be ample notification in the thread, and you will have the opportunity to remove those moves from your movepool prior to final submissions.

Final Movepool Submissions must include all of these moves, and they cannot be Event Moves. Submissions that don't have all these moves will not be considered for slating.

Parting Shot
Moonblast
Taunt
Encore
Aura Sphere
Focus Blast
Sludge Wave
Energy Ball
Grass Knot
Giga Drain
Close Combat
Yawn
Flash Cannon
Charm/Feather Dance
Snarl
Wish

The "universal" TM/Tutor List for fully evolved Pokemon: Attract, Confide, Double Team, Facade, Frustration, Giga Impact, Hidden Power, Hyper Beam, Protect, Rest, Return, Round, Secret Power, Sleep Talk, Substitute, Snore, Swagger, Toxic

These moves are banned from inclusion in Final Submissions. Movepools that include any of these moves will not be considered for slating.

This list is subject to minor changes along the course of the thread.

The follow moves are all banned.

-Any legendary exclusive move, attacking or non attacking
-Any Special Attack with a BP of 80 or higher, including those with an effective BP of that number (ex: Frost Breath) that is not already a mandatory move
-Any Special Attack on the Restricted Moves list not already a mandatory move
-Any Physical Attack on the Restricted Moves list not already a mandatory move
-Any support move on the Restricted Moves list not already a mandatory move (ex: Rapid Spin, Dragon Dance, Swords Dance)

Note that any move which is competitively inferior to a mandatory move is allowed as an exception to the bans above unless explicitly stated otherwise. This includes things such a weaker versions of mandatory STAB and coverage moves.

Click here for a general guide to making Gen 6 Movepools.
Click here for the list of Restricted Moves referenced above.

While this is a submission thread, discussion on Work-In-Progress (WIP) and Final Submissions is encouraged so the community can make an informed decision during the polling stage.

This thread will be open for submissions and discussion as soon as Deck Knight posts his opening remarks.

-----------------

Name: Kerfluffle
Typing: Fairy/Fighting
Abilities: Natural Cure / Aroma Veil
Stats: 84/78/86/115/88/119

Leadership Team:

cbrevan
- Topic Leader
Elite Lord Sigma - Typing Leader
snake_rattler - Abilities Leader
Snobalt - Stats Leader
Deck Knight - Movepool Leader

Concept:
Name: Last Act of Defiance

General Description: A Pokemon that is defined by its use of the move Parting Shot.

Justification: Parting Shot is another move that's pretty amazing on paper, but its true usage has yet to be fully explored because it's only available to Pangoro. Pangoro is not the most viable Pokemon OU and is nearly unusable in CAP due to its 4x weakness to Fairy. Moreover, when I've used it in RU (prior it to being banned) and UU, I found myself clicking an attacking move more often than not. With the optimal Parting Shot user in the CAP metagame, we may be able to tap into this move's potential and figure out how it is best utilized. Maybe Last Act of Defiance will be a fast Pokemon that aims to keep up offensive momentum. Maybe it'll use the move like it would use Memento to help a teammate use a boosting move. Maybe it'll be a slow, bulky pivot intended to discourage switching. Maybe it'll do something completely different.

This falls under both actualization and archetype in terms of being a concept. In terms of actualization, it will teach us how to use Parting Shot "properly." Clearly, no other Pokemon, not even Pangoro, comes close to it. Well, users of U-turn, Volt Switch, and Memento come somewhat close, but even then, we'll be able to see what makes Parting Shot different from (and possibly better than) them. In terms of archetype, Last Act of Defiance will give not just the CAP metagame, but also the whole game of Pokemon, a utility Pokemon that we've never seen before, as Parting Shot was not (and still isn't) one of Pangoro's most important assets. Because Parting Shot has so many potential uses, a utility Pokemon such as this can be the ultimate team player for offensive and defensive archetypes alike.

Questions To Be Answered:
- Whether it's pivoting, offensive momentum, Memento-esque support, or something else, what is the "ideal" way to use Parting Shot? Why?
- Considering Pangoro rarely finds the time to use the move, how much should a Pokemon be willing to sacrifice another offensive option for Parting Shot?
- What makes Parting Shot different or similar from Volt Switch, U-turn, and Memento?
- Pangoro is definitely not the ideal Parting Shot user, so what does the ideal user look like?
- What strategies, whether they be certain Pokemon, playstyles, or other factors, will rise to prominence to combat a Parting Shot user?

Last edited:

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Time to open this thread up. We're in the final competitive stages so it's time to give Kerfluffle a fully fleshed out movepool.

Keep in mind type-move and move-move guidelines when making your submissions.

cbrevan and myself will be monitoring the submissions for any moves that might be worthy of a ban, but otherwise just use common sense. Pretty much every physical and special STAB that isn't stronger than our required options is up for grabs, as well as weaker versions of greenlit coverage. There are many flavorful non-competitive status moves to choose from as well, so don't feel burdened down by restrictions. Have some fun with this!

As to what I'm looking for, our Pokemon has a very unique design full of personality and I'd like our submissions to be able to capture that. To the extent flavor has reasoning behind it, explain why your submission best captures what Kerfluffle is about.

Good presentation is also valuable. Many successful submissions in the past have utilized good presentation habits through hide tags, move categorization by Level-Up, Egg, etc. and these submissions tend to do better.

Thanks for taking this journey with the TL and TLT in CAP. Time to wrap this up!

Final Submission

Total number of moves: 64

What I'm trying to get at with this movepool is a general vibe of Kerfluffle being protective. Dakimakura are, or at least can be, comfort objects: psychological props from which people (most commonly young children, but potentially of any age) get a sense of security. I imagine Kerfluffle as absorbing that wish for security and transforming in order to become a protector - in other words, starting out as an empathetic Fairy-type and maturing into its Fighting-type abilities as it grows into its protective role. To reflect this, I've given it a level-up movepool that starts with largely Fairy moves (Sweet Kiss, Charm, Fairy Wind, Draining Kiss) and transitions into more Fighting moves (Vital Throw, Quick Guard, Aura Sphere) as it gets stronger.

There's also a subtle Grass-type inflection to Kerfluffle, since it has mandatory Energy Ball, Giga Drain and Grass Knot, so I've included a few Grass egg moves (Cotton Spore, Mega Drain, Worry Seed). Flavour-wise, I justify this as Kerfluffle including attributes from lavender-scented or lavender-filled pillows, which are hardly unheard-of. Being scented, and being a Fairy-type that has already borrowed Aromatisse's signature ability, Aromatic Mist is also in Kerfluffle's egg movepool.

I've split Kerfluffle's moves into their categories below, with slightly more detailed explanations as to specific move choices.
19 moves, 1 repeated (Aura Sphere) > 18 distinct moves

1 Aura Sphere
1 Sweet Kiss
1 Charm
1 Yawn
1 Fairy Wind
3 Encore
7 Force Palm
11 Draining Kiss
16 Wish
22 Rest
22 Snore
27 Vital Throw
33 Endure
38 Parting Shot
44 Moonblast
49 Sleep Talk
55 Quick Guard
60 Uproar
66 Aura Sphere

Apart from the protective role outlined above, I also associate Kerfluffle, as a pillow, with sleep in general, hence the inclusion of moves like Yawn, Rest, Snore and Sleep Talk in its level-up set. Rest and Snore are learned simultaneously; this is a pattern already seen in the Spheal and Snorlax lines.

Endure is Kerfluffle holding on as long as possible, in order to be as helpful as possible. When that fails, it resorts to leaving in a very defensive and vituperative manner, hence Parting Shot (which it learns next). Once it learns to be this loud, it goes on to get Sleep Talk after another 11 levels, with the epitome of this volume coming at level 60 with Uproar; at this point, Kerfluffle is so loud and excitable that it has completely forsaken its old purpose (helping people to sleep) for its new one.

Aura Sphere is repeated as a level 1 move, as is the case with many final evolutions in Gen VI; I've listed it first so it'd be 'hidden' if one managed to obtain a Level 1 Kerfluffle from an egg (since it would be overwritten by the other four level 1 moves). I haven't repeated Moonblast, though, since Kerfluffle learns Moonblast at not too high a level.

The level-up moves appear every 4 levels at the start (3, 7, 11) and then alternate between every 5 and 6 levels. Such an alternation is attested in other Pokémon's level-up pools (compare, say, that of Vanilluxe); the appeal of 5-and-6 for Kerfluffle is that it means I can hit multiples of 22, which I like purely because this is CAP number 22.

36 moves, 2 repeated from level-up pool (Rest, Sleep Talk) > 34 distinct moves

TM06 Toxic
TM08 Bulk Up
TM10 Hidden Power
TM11 Sunny Day
TM12 Taunt
TM15 Hyper Beam
TM17 Protect
TM20 Safeguard
TM21 Frustration
TM27 Return
TM32 Double Team
TM34 Sludge Wave
TM42 Facade
TM44 Rest
TM45 Attract
TM48 Round
TM52 Focus Blast
TM53 Energy Ball
TM54 Fling
TM56 Retaliate
TM67 Giga Impact
TM70 Flash
TM77 Psych Up
TM83 Infestation
TM86 Grass Knot
TM87 Swagger
TM88 Sleep Talk
TM90 Substitute
TM91 Flash Cannon
TM94 Secret Power
TM95 Snarl
TM98 Power-Up Punch
TM99 Dazzling Gleam
TM100 Confide
HM04 Strength
HM06 Rock Smash

There's nothing particularly unexpected in the TM list, from a competitive viewpoint, but there are a few cute flavour things here. First, Psych Up, which is Kerfluffle literally psyching itself up to be a protective, Fighting-type Pokémon. Secondly, Flash, which is thematically appropriate given the other light-based moves that Kerfluffle can learn (Flash Cannon, Moonblast, Dazzling Gleam). Finally, Infestation, which is a reference to the fact that, once they get old enough, pillows can really fill up with mites and, in unfortunate circumstances, lice.

I've eschewed Dream Eater even though it's sleep-related, on the grounds that eating someone's dreams doesn't seem to me like the kind of thing a protective pillow would do.

In terms of type-move interactions, I've included Sunny Day as the only move that really patterns with Fairies, but I've left out the Rock-type moves that often come with Fighting-types. I don't think of Kerfluffle as a terribly physically-oriented Fighting-type in the same way as, say, Machamp; I feel its Fighting capabilities come from a more special or defensive origin, hence the presence of Aura Sphere and Quick Guard in its level-up pool. For the same reason, I suspect that physical, Rock-based moves might not form a big part of its fighting style, hence their absence here.

6 moves, no repeats

Aromatic Mist (Aromatisse)
Cotton Spore (Hoppip, Roselia, Cottonee etc.)
Close Combat (Snubbull, Granbull, Gallade)
Mega Drain (Hoppip, Roselia, Cottonee etc.)
Misty Terrain (Clefairy, Ralts, Flabébé etc.)
Worry Seed (Hoppip, Roselia, Cottonee etc.)

Fairy and Amorphous seem to be the egg groups that fit Kerfluffle best; Fairy because of its typing, and Amorphous because that's where a lot of other human-influenced and artefact-like Pokémon (the Litwick line, the Shuppet line, Rotom, Castform) belong. I could also see Human-like suiting it, but I'm inclined to prefer Amorphous.

With the exception of Close Combat, all of the egg moves are for flavour, and it's mostly the scented-pillow-related flavour I described above: Aromatic Mist, Cotton Spore, Mega Drain, Worry Seed. I've also thrown in Misty Terrain as a nice Fairy-type flavour move which parallels Aromatic Mist, more or less. If you're concerned about Mega Drain appearing with Absorb alongside, there's no need; Jumpluff and Serperior get Mega Drain but not Absorb, so there's precedent.

9 moves, 2 repeated from level-up pool (Snore, Uproar) & 1 repeated from egg moves (Worry Seed) > 6 distinct moves

Bind
Endeavor
Focus Punch
Giga Drain
Helping Hand
Snore
Uproar
Water Pulse
Worry Seed

The oddest inclusion here is obviously Water Pulse; I've included it a) because I just like it as a move and b) because it really patterns with Aura Sphere - Lucario, Mewtwo and Togekiss all get it, for no particular reason. (The Squirtle line and Palkia get it too, although it makes more sense for them; on the other hand, it makes slightly less sense for these lines to get Aura Sphere, so I suppose the pattern holds.)

The other minor standout is Bind, which I've put here because it seems like Kerfluffle is a Pokémon that is very familiar with holding on tightly. Whether that's a person holding very tightly to a dakimakura or a beloved comfort object wanting to nurture said person is a question I leave to your imagination to solve.

Aromatic Mist
Attract
Aura Sphere
Bind
Bulk Up
Charm
Close Combat
Confide
Cotton Spore
Dazzling Gleam
Double Team
Draining Kiss
Encore
Endeavor
Endure
Energy Ball
Facade
Fairy Wind
Flash
Flash Cannon
Fling
Focus Blast
Focus Punch
Force Palm
Frustration
Giga Drain
Giga Impact
Grass Knot
Helping Hand
Hidden Power
Hyper Beam
Infestation
Mega Drain
Misty Terrain
Moonblast
Parting Shot
Power-Up Punch
Protect
Psych Up
Quick Guard
Rest
Retaliate
Return
Rock Smash
Round
Safeguard
Secret Power
Sleep Talk
Sludge Wave
Snarl
Snore
Strength
Substitute
Sunny Day
Swagger
Sweet Kiss
Taunt
Toxic
Uproar
Vital Throw
Water Pulse
Wish
Worry Seed
Yawn

Rather than framing Kerfluffle as a mischievous or even malicious species, I've designed this movepool to show Kerfluffle's protective side and emphasise its Fairy-related elements. If you think Kerfluffle seems more like a huggable friend than a possessed presence, this might be the movepool for you!

Notable absences:
  • A lot of 'classic' Fighting-type coverage: as described above, this is a result of the way I consider Kerfluffle to use its Fighting type, being more the outcome of careful training and honing its protective abilities than any innate urge to brawl. As such, it gets Fighting-type moves that require focus and careful intent (Focus Blast, Focus Punch, Aura Sphere, Vital Throw) or ones that relate to increasing its power and weakening its enemies (Bulk Up, Power-Up Punch, Rock Smash), but not those that are tricksy, disruptive or strongly combative (i.e. no Drain Punch, Brick Break or Low Kick; Close Combat is there, sure, but that's not up to me, and you'll notice that I've put it in the egg moves pool rather than the level-up one).
  • Sludge Bomb: essentially an aesthetic choice, but there are precedents for Sludge Wave without Sludge Bomb (the Mudkip line and Zygarde). I think it makes at least a little sense from a flavour point of view, too; a Sludge Bomb implies that Kerfluffle is deliberately attacking a single target with vile stuff, which seems at odds with how I frame its personality, whereas a Sludge Wave is it just attacking everything around indiscriminately, perhaps in desperation (see 'moves of resistance' below).
  • Rain Dance: well, if one needed to wash a pillow or pillowcase, one would certainly be hoping for a Sunny Day rather than a rainy one.

Notable presences:
  • Protective moves (that aren't banned): Protect is obvious, and required anyway, but there's also Quick Guard and Safeguard to round out Kerfluffle's protective capabilities.
  • Moves that are about being sweet and gentle: these are mostly found towards the start of Kerfluffle's level-up pool - things like Charm, Sweet Kiss and Draining Kiss. (There's also Helping Hand as a tutor move.) I wanted to show Kerfluffle as starting out very kind and friendly, but with some capacity to weaponise its niceness.
  • Moves of resistance: Endure, Retaliate, Fling, Parting Shot, Snarl - all of these are to do with Kerfluffle trying to fight back from a desperate position. Some of them are at odds with being sweet and gentle, which is fine: getting nastier under stress is hardly a rare thing.
  • Grass-type flavour moves: I think of Kerfluffle's aroma as coming from its being infused with lavender, so a certain number of Grass-type moves are apt. (Incidentally, this is why I haven't given it Sweet Scent; I think of lavender as more 'pungent' than 'sweet'.) I've included Cotton Spore to represent pillow fluff, Worry Seed because it's sleep-related (even if it prevents sleep) and Mega Drain to parallel Giga Drain.
  • Aromatic Mist: this is to make Aroma Veil seem more appropriate as an ability for Kerfluffle - if it has Aromatisse's signature ability, it might as well get its signature move too. It also reflects the lavender-infused idea.
  • Infestation: seriously, any moderately old pillow will be stuffed full of mites and things. This is the perfect move to reflect perhaps one of the slightly less salubrious aspects of pillows.
  • Water Pulse: it correlates quite strongly with Aura Sphere and it adds colour beyond the basic Fairy/Fighting/Normal/Grass stuff. It's not a discrepancy to have Water Pulse but not Rain Dance, by the way; a few of the more liminal Water Pulse users (Anorith, Hippopotas) don't get Rain Dance.

Last edited:
I think that the amount of banned moves is frankly impossible to follow if you want to create a realistic movepool. In fact, the post above this is technically illegal because it contains banned moves. According to this, Kerfluffle cannot be allowed to learn Dazzling Gleam. According to this, Kerfluffle cannot be allowed to learn Low Kick. According to this, Kerfluffle cannot even be allowed to learn Detect and Rain Dance. It is nigh on impossible to follow move-move and type-move guidelines with these kinds of restrictions.
Also, the move limit is somewhat restrictive because it was created before ORAS was released, meaning that it does not account for tutor moves that usually add around 10 moves to a Pokemon's movepool. I assume you are using the same guide outlined in this article, as this would fit with both Kerfluffle's and Crucibelle's move limit. The examples given actually have move moves than that now - Noivern, the example given in the same category as Kerfluffle, now has almost 75 moves.
I hope that you will reconsider the banned moves at least, although much more diverse and interesting movepools would be created if the move limit were higher too.

Agreeing with kyubics here. I realize that most of the moves are supposed to be the mandatory moves, because 33 out of the allowed 65 are. However, it gives us very little to work with with so many bans. I think that having less powerful Fairy STAB should be allowed, and maybe with less powerful Fighting STAB. Actually, the guide mentions that around 90% of Fairy types have access to Sunny Day, and often also Rain Dance. I feel that these should be allowed because while a set could be made out of that, it would be incredibly niche and frankly, uncompetitive. I'm proposing we use this slightly altered banlist instead, instead of saying BARN EVERYTHING.

http://www.smogon.com/cap/process/events/movepool_submissions#restricted

jas61292

used substitute
is a Community Contributoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Mod Post

I think that the amount of banned moves is frankly impossible to follow if you want to create a realistic movepool. In fact, the post above this is technically illegal because it contains banned moves. According to this, Kerfluffle cannot be allowed to learn Dazzling Gleam. According to this, Kerfluffle cannot be allowed to learn Low Kick. According to this, Kerfluffle cannot even be allowed to learn Detect and Rain Dance. It is nigh on impossible to follow move-move and type-move guidelines with these kinds of restrictions.
Also, the move limit is somewhat restrictive because it was created before ORAS was released, meaning that it does not account for tutor moves that usually add around 10 moves to a Pokemon's movepool. I assume you are using the same guide outlined in this article, as this would fit with both Kerfluffle's and Crucibelle's move limit. The examples given actually have move moves than that now - Noivern, the example given in the same category as Kerfluffle, now has almost 75 moves.
I hope that you will reconsider the banned moves at least, although much more diverse and interesting movepools would be created if the move limit were higher too.
While it is true that the page where the limits are posted use pre-ORAS data, the limits themselves are a power consideration as much as anything, and are a self imposed restriction by the project. In actual Pokemon, you will not find the kind of correlation we have here, with many of the Pokemon with the largest BSTs packing the largest movepools. We as a project, however, do not want to encourage massive movepools, hence the restrictions. Now with that said, as indicated on that page, if Deck Knight and cbrevan think that things are overly restrictive, they would be within their rights to adjust the limits.

Oh, and if you look at Deck Knight's post above, he straight up said that weaker versions of STABs or coverage moves we already get are fine, which should include Dazzling Gleam and Low Kick. This just has not been reflected in the OP yet, though I will go adjust that right now. If there are other moves you believe to be competitively irrelevant but are banned, feel free to bring them up. Ultimately though, it is Deck Knight's decision as to what is and is not allowed. The bans originally listed in the OP were simply made to be generic.

WIP

Total number of moves: 55

Given that flavor is not a premier forte of mine, I played to the stereotypes commonly associated with Fairy and Fighting-types and added a number of supportive and offensive move options associated with both typings. In the case of Fairy-typing, I added moves like Play Rough, Heal Pulse, and Helping Hand, which other Fairy-types like Azumarill and Clefable illustrate. In context of Fighting-typing, I added moves like Sky Uppercut and Superpower, which are commonly associated with Pokemon like Breloom and Blaziken.

Bold = Mandatory
1 Pound
4 Leer
9 Fairy Wind
13 Karate Chop
15 Draining Kiss
18 Yawn
22 Vital Throw
28 Dazzling Gleam
35 Detect
40 Aura Sphere
48 Moonblast
56 Encore
64 Superpower
70 Parting Shot

In this level-up movepool, I played with some of the moves commonly associated with Fairy and Fighting-types, such as Dazzling Gleam, Karate Chop, Detect, Fairy Wind, and Superpower. Moves that were mandatory but were quite limited in terms of learning availability, such as Parting Shot and Aura Sphere, were added here for convenience so as not to possibly make the Egg Group(s) of Kerfluffle too complex.

Bold = Mandatory
Italics = Universal
TM06 Toxic
TM10 Hidden Power
TM12 Taunt
TM15 Hyper Beam
TM17 Protect
TM21 Frustration
TM27 Return
TM31 Brick Break
TM32 Double Team
TM34 Sludge Wave
TM42 Facade
TM44 Rest
TM45 Attract
TM47 Low Sweep
TM48 Round
TM52 Focus Blast
TM53 Energy Ball
TM68 Giga Impact
TM86 Grass Knot
TM87 Swagger
TM88 Sleep Talk
TM90 Substitute
TM91 Flash Cannon
TM94 Secret Power
TM95 Snarl
TM98 Power-Up Punch
TM99 Dazzling Gleam
TM100 Confide
HM04 Strength
HM06 Rock Smash

Beyond the universal and required moves, I added options that were associated with other members of the Fighting and Fairy-typing, including Strength, Brick Break, Rock Smash, and Dazzling Gleam. Power-Up Punch may seem questionable on a mon that is not supposed to be able to set up, but PuP in general is very unreliable, and our CAP is not going to hit that hard off a +1 boost, primarily because of a mediocre base 78 Attack stat.

Bold = Required
Heal Pulse (Audino, Aromatisse, etc.)
Charm (Raichu, Blissey, etc.)
Close Combat (Granbull)
Sky Uppercut (Breloom)
Play Rough (Skitty, Granbull, Azumarill)
Wish (Blissey, Clefable)

Egg Group justification: When I look at Kerfluffle (CAP 22), I see the traits that most members of the Fairy Egg group exhibit: the friendly nature of Chansey / Azumarill / Clefable, but fully capable of putting up a fight, like Breloom and Granbull, even if it does not look as threatening as the aforementioned mons. As a result, I placed it solely in the Fairy Egg Group.

Bold = Required
Italics = Universal
Low Kick
Giga Drain
Thunder Punch
Drain Punch
Dual Chop
Superpower
Helping Hand
Snore

I based most of these tutored moves off Kerfluffle being a Fighting-type; as a result, I added moves associated with physical force, such as Drain Punch and Dual Chop (Superpower I used a level up move, so I had to list it here by default); note here that I only added Thunder Punch, because Fire Punch and Ice Punch interfere with our threat list too much. I added Helping Hand because of its association with mons like Clefable and Azumarill, both of which are also Fairy-types.

Attract
Aura Sphere
Brick Break
Charm
Close Combat
Confide
Dazzling Gleam
Detect
Double Team
Drain Punch
Draining Kiss
Dual Chop
Encore
Energy Ball
Facade
Flash Cannon
Focus Blast
Frustration
Giga Drain
Giga Impact
Grass Knot
Helping Hand
Heal Pulse
Hidden Power
Hyper Beam
Karate Chop
Low Kick
Low Sweep
Moonblast
Parting Shot
Play Rough
Pound
Power-Up Punch
Protect
Return
Rest
Rock Smash
Round
Secret Power
Sky Uppercut
Sludge Wave
Sleep Talk
Snarl
Snore
Strength
Substitute
Superpower
Swagger
Taunt
Thunder Punch
Toxic
Vital Throw
Wish
Yawn

Last edited:
Final Submission

Bold = Mandatory
(R) = Repeated

- Play Rough
- Close Combat
- Moonblast
- Tickle
- Lick
- Detect
- Disarming Voice
6 - Feint
11 - Yawn
15 - Low Kick
19 - Fake Tears
24 - Feather Dance
29 - Draining Kiss
33 - Feint Attack
37 - Psych Up
42 - Aura Sphere
47 - Parting Shot
51 - Play Rough (R)
55 - Close Combat (R)
60 - Moonblast (R)

So the general theme with this movepool is that Kerfluffle is quite mischievous and deceptive, and nowhere is that shown more strongly than with the level-up moves. As Kerfluffle grows, it becomes not only more powerful but more daring in its mischief. First, Kerfluffle learns playful but teasing moves like Tickle and Lick (also because of its tongue :p), and then learns to make use of its deviousness for child-like attention in Fake Tears. Following this, Kerfluffle learns to turn that deception in to an attack: Feint Attack, in which the user approaches the target disarmingly, then throws a sucker punch. Kerfluffle's impishness reaches a peak when it learns Parting Shot, as by now it knows to run away after commiting it's devilry!
As for the technicalities of the level-up moves, I based it heavily on Lucario - a Pokemon fairly similar in build and design. I followed the same structure as Lucario's level-up moves, using the same level-up pattern and often with similar types of moves at the same level, for example a weak Fighting STAB at level 15. I also looked at the level-up moves of Pangoro and Slurpuff frequently as well as they are Gen 6 Pokemon that share some similar traits. Kerfluffle also learns it's powerful attacks as Heart Scale moves like Lucario and many other Pokemon. Some individual moves that need commentary: Disarming Voice over Fairy Wind because I think that Kerfluffle fits more with the vocal theme due to Parting Shot; Feather Dance because it's a pillow and pillows are made of feathers; Aura Sphere is learnt at the same level as Lucario and Parting Shot at the same level as Pangoro.

TM06 Toxic
TM08 Bulk Up
TM10 Hidden Power
TM11 Sunny Day
TM12 Taunt
TM15 Hyper Beam
TM17 Protect
TM18 Rain Dance
TM20 Safeguard
TM21 Frustration
TM27 Return
TM31 Brick Break
TM32 Double Team
TM34 Sludge Wave
TM36 Sludge Bomb
TM41 Torment
TM42 Façade
TM44 Rest
TM45 Attract
TM46 Thief
TM47 Low Sweep
TM48 Round
TM49 Echoed Voice
TM52 Focus Blast
TM53 Energy Ball
TM60 Quash
TM67 Retaliate
TM69 Giga Impact
TM77 Psych Up (R)
TM85 Dream Eater
TM86 Grass Knot
TM87 Swagger
TM88 Sleep Talk
TM90 Substitute
TM91 Flash Cannon
TM94/HM06 Rock Smash
TM94 Secret Power
TM95 Snarl
TM98 Power-Up Punch
TM99 Dazzling Gleam
TM100 Confide
HM04 Strength

I tried to keep as close as possible to the type-move and move-move guides here, with the exception of not including Stone Edge and Rock Slide because they are banned. This also continues with the mischievous theme with moves like Taunt, Torment and Thief. I looked at Pokemon of the same types to try and best judge this list as it had to be slimmed down as much as possible to fit into the move limit. Quash because can't you just imagine a pillow smothering you and pushing you down so you can't move :3

Encore (Clefairy)
Quash (R) (Sableye)
Wake-Up Slap (Clefairy)
Wish (Slurpuff)

Fairy Group like most Fairy Types and Human-like Group like most Fighting Types. Fairly simple really, Gen 6 Pokemon tend to have few egg moves. Wish and Encore are required but didn't really fit in the level-up moves, Wake-Up Slap because it's a pillow waking you up (and there wasn't space in the level-up moves) and Quash as I said previously and to continue the naughty theme. Just one example of a parent who can learn each move to show that it is possible for Kerfluffle to learn them.

Covet
Drain Punch
Giga Drain
Low Kick (R)
Snore

Not much room in the 65 move limit for many move tutor moves really, just tried to find ones that fit with the design, theme and typing.

Attract
Aura Sphere
Brick Break
Bulk Up
Close Combat
Confide
Covet
Dazzling Gleam
Detect
Disarming Voice
Double Team
Drain Punch
Draining Kiss
Dream Eater
Echoed Voice
Encore
Energy Ball
Facade
Feint Attack
Fake Tears
Feather Dance
Feint
Flash Cannon
Focus Blast
Frustration
Giga Drain
Giga Impact
Grass Knot
Hidden Power
Hyper Beam
Lick
Low Kick
Low Sweep
Moonblast
Parting Shot
Play Rough
Power-Up Punch
Protect
Psych Up
Quash
Rain Dance
Rest
Retaliate
Return
Rock Smash
Round
Safeguard
Secret Power
Sleep Talk
Sludge Bomb
Sludge Wave
Snarl
Snore
Strength
Substitute
Sunny Day
Swagger
Taunt
Thief
Tickle
Torment
Toxic
Wake-Up Slap
Wish
Yawn

Last edited:
Final Submission

Mandatory Moves in bold

Duplicated Move Underlined
Universal Moves italicized

Start - Moonblast
Start - Parting Shot
Start - Feather Dance
Start - Pound
Start - Leer
4 - Karate Chop
7 - Disarming Voice
10 - Sweet Scent
15 - Yawn
20 - Draining Kiss
24 - Tickle
28 - Parting Shot
31 - Sweet Kiss
35 - Wake-Up Slap
41 - Misty Terrain
45 - Cotton Spore
50 - Dazzling Gleam
53 - Teeter Dance
55 - Aura Sphere
59 - Rest
64 - Moonblast
68 - Encore
72 - Close Combat
77 - Quick Guard

My approach was to add mainly Fairy and Fighting moves while including some of the mandatory moves, like Parting Shot. I also included some flavor moves to go along with the pillow design of Kerfluffle, like Feather Dance over Charm, Cotton Spore as pillows can have cotton inside them, and Tickle since you could Tickle somebody with the feathers inside of a feathered pillow. Teeter Dance was included, as I could definitely imagine Kerfluffle dancing around crazily and Quick Guard was included because Kerfluffle pillow gloves remind me boxing gloves that it can block moves with.

06 - Toxic
10 - Hidden Power
11 - Sunny Day
12 - Taunt
15 - Hyper Beam
17 - Protect
21 - Frustration
27 - Return
31 - Brick Break
32 - Double Team
34 - Sludge Wave
36 - Sludge Bomb
40 - Aerial Ace
42 - Facade
44 - Rest
45 - Attract
48 - Round
52 - Focus Blast
53 - Energy Ball
68 - Giga Impact
77 - Psych Up
85 - Dream Eater
86 - Grass Knot
87 - Swagger
88 - Sleep Talk
90 - Substitute
91 - Flash Cannon
94 - Secret Power
95 - Snarl
98 - Power-Up Punch
99 - Dazzling Gleam
100 - Confide
HM04 - Strength
HM06 - Rock Smash

Most of the mandatory moves made up this TMs list, as well as some moves that I figured made sense with the design and typing of Kerfluffle, like Rock Smash, Strength, and Aerial Ace. Others, like Psych Up and Sunny Day, were added because most, but not all Pokemon get them, so I figured it made sense.

Wish (Pikachu, Clefairy, Jigglypuff, Eevee, Audino, etc.)
Capitivate (Marill, Geodude, Snorunt, Snubbull, etc.)
Aura Sphere (Togekiss)
Encore (Piakchu, Hoppip, Cottonee, etc.)
Cotton Spore (Hoppip, Cottonee, Swirlix)
Giga Drain (Hoppip, Shroomish, Roselia, Trubbish, Ferroseed, etc.)
Simple Beam (Skitty, Audino)

I put Kerfluffle in the Fairy egg group because it's a Fairy-type, of course, and fits the bill of being adorable enough to be here. I also put Kerfluffle in the Mineral egg group as some man-made object-based Pokemon are in this egg group, like Honedge, Magnetmite, Porygon, and Klefki, I figured it fit well enough and was probably going to be an original idea compared to everyone else.

The only unique moves that Kerfluffle gets from breeding are Wish (required), Giga Drain (Required), Simple Beam to go with Parting Shot, and Captivate, as it's so darn cute that it will probably Captivate you.

Giga Drain
Snore
Low Kick
Ice Punch
Drain Punch
Thunder Punch
Helping Hand

For tutor moves, I added the final 2 required moves, 3 punching moves and Low Kick to go along with it's Fighting-typing, and Helping Hand, because Kerfluffle's gloves make its hands look huge. I didn't include Fire Punch, since Kerfluffle is a pillow, I doubt that it would be able to use Fire Punch without actually dying.

Aerial Ace
Attract
Aura Sphere
Brick Break
Captivate
Close Combat
Confide
Cotton Spore
Dazzling Gleam
Disarming Voice
Double Team
Draining Kiss
Drain Punch
Dream Eater
Encore
Energy Ball
Facade
Feather Dance
Flash Cannon
Focus Blast
Frustration
Giga Drain
Giga Impact
Grass Knot
Helping Hand
Hidden Power
Hyper Beam
Ice Punch
Karate Chop
Leer
Low Kick
Moonblast
Misty Terrain
Parting Shot
Pound
Power-Up Punch
Protect
Psych Up
Quick Guard
Rest
Return
Rock Smash
Round
Secret Power
Simple Beam
Sleep Talk
Sludge Bomb
Sludge Wave
Snarl
Snore
Strength
Substitute
Sunny Day
Swagger
Sweet Kiss
Sweet Scent
Taunt
Teeter Dance
Thunder Punch
Tickle
Toxic
Wake-Up Slap
Wish
Yawn

Last edited:

G-Luke

Sugar, Spice and One For All
is a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Ok first time submitting so hopegully I dont make mistakes.

Mandatory Moves - Bold

- Moonblast
- Close Combat
- Play Rough
- Yawn

- Pound
- Tickle
- Fairy Wind
6 - Lick
10 - Wake Up Slap
13 - Feint Attack
14 - Quick Guard
19 - Feather Dance
24 - Encore
27 - Rest
27 - Sleep Talk
30 - Draining Kiss
34 - Parting Shot
40 - Snore
44 - Aura Sphere
50 - Play Rough
56 - Close Combat
62 - Moonblast

So my general thought on Kerfluffle is that its a playful teaser with swift and fast movements, so moves such as Quick Guard, Tickle, Feint Attack and Fairy Wind reflect that. Being based on a pillow, moves like Sleep Talk, Rest, Yawn and Feather come into play. The level up pattern isnt based on any set Pokemon, but Sleep Talk and Rest being learnt at the same time is a play on its sleepy based nature. It of course learns its three most powerful STAB moves as Heart Scale moves.

TM01 Focus Punch
TM06 Toxic
TM08 Bulk Up

TM10 Hidden Power
TM11 Sunny Day
TM12 Taunt
TM15 Hyper Beam
TM17 Protect
TM18 Rain Dance
TM20 Safeguard
TM21 Frustration
TM27 Return
TM31 Brick Break
TM32 Double Team
TM34 Sludge Wave
TM41 Torment
TM42 Façade
TM44 Rest
TM45 Attract
TM46 Thief
TM47 Low Sweep
TM48 Round
TM49 Echoed Voice
TM52 Focus Blast
TM53 Energy Ball
TM56 Fling
TM67 Retaliate
TM69 Giga Impact
TM77 Psych Up
TM86 Grass Knot
TM87 Swagger
TM88 Sleep Talk
TM90 Substitute
TM91 Flash Cannon
TM94 Secret Power
TM95 Snarl
TM98 Power-Up Punch
TM99 Dazzling Gleam
TM100 Confide
HM04 Strength

So for its TM List, I compiled and researched moves which common fighting and Fairy types learn, and compared the mons I drew most inspiration from in Slurpuff and Lucario. Not only are common fighting and Fairy TM moves are here (barring Rock Type attacks since those are banned), but moves emphassising its playful yet deceptive nature, such as Torment, Thief, Snarl and most importantly Taunt.

Wish - Clefairy
Encore - Lopunny
Giga Drain - Breloom
Follow Me - Togetic

I placed it in the Human-Like and Fairy egg groups because those are the egg groups Pokemon sharing its typings would most likely be in. The egg moves consist of STABs it would receive and compulsory moves.

Drain Punch
Snore
Thunder Punch
Ice Punch
Giga Drain
Low Kick
Helping Hand

The last few slots here are filled up with common attacks that can be associated with its design. I opted to leave out Fire Punch as I highly doubt pillows can be set ablaze with causing permanent damage.

Soon Reach

I would like to discuss the prospects of allowing Disable, an otherwise restricted move on Kerfluffle with Deck Knight . Disable is an attack that barely sees competitive play, but its small niche can be utilized along side Parting Shot to force switches. I believe having access to a move like Disable is needed for a Pokemon to abuse Parting Shot to its fullest, which is what the slate is all about.

Last edited:

boxofkangaroos

this is the day of the expanding man
Final Submission

In general, Kerfluffle is personified by its tough yet loving stance, its goofy, dazed face, and its relation to pillows and sleep. This Pokemon excels at pillow fighting, which is a playful, jovial, but still fierce activity. Dakimakura, Kerfluffle's anime pillow origin, is translated into English as a "hug pillow", and this Pokemon sure looks like it's ready to hug its trainer at any point (or suffocate its foes with aggressive hugs). I wanted my movepool to capture all of these characteristics while also maintaining standard moves for Fighting and Fairy types.

More specific explanations are included inside each move category.

ABC: Mandatory
ABC: Universal
ABC: Repeated

1: Moonblast
1: Aura Sphere
1: Constrict
1: Double Slap
1: Leer
5: Baby-Doll Eyes
9: Disarming Voice
12: Night Shade
16: Dizzy Punch
20: Yawn
23: Wake-Up Slap
27: Parting Shot
31: Feather Dance
34: Body Slam
38: Bounce
42: Moonblast
48: Focus Blast
54: Thrash
60: Close Combat
66: Dream Eater

A Pokemon's level-up moves need to embody its personality, and that is exactly what I aimed to do with Kerfluffle's. All of these moves relate to its pillow theme, its quirky face, or its fighting nature. Constrict is included in its Start moves because it can trap its opponent with a hug, and Leer is included because of its sharp eye. I decided to include Bounce because it reflects Kerfluffle's presumably squishy texture and its ability to jump with its nimble feet.

Move learning follows a 4-4-3 pattern until level 42, then a new move is learned every 6 levels.

TM06: Toxic
TM08: Bulk Up
TM10: Hidden Power
TM11: Sunny Day
TM12: Taunt
TM15: Hyper Beam
TM17: Protect
TM20: Safeguard
TM21: Frustration
TM27: Return
TM31: Brick Break
TM32: Double Team
TM34: Sludge Wave
TM36: Sludge Bomb
TM42: Facade
TM44: Rest
TM45: Attract
TM47: Low Sweep
TM48: Round
TM52: Focus Blast
TM53: Energy Ball
TM56: Fling
TM68: Giga Impact
TM77: Psych Up
TM85: Dream Eater
TM86: Grass Knot
TM87: Swagger
TM88: Sleep Talk
TM90: Substitute
TM91: Flash Cannon
TM94: Secret Power
TM95: Snarl
TM99: Dazzling Gleam
TM100: Confide
HM04: Strength

My TM and HM selection mainly consists of required moves and moves that nearly every Fighting or Fairy type can learn. Some of the more interesting options include Safeguard, which reflects Kerfluffle's comforting and protective nature; Fling, which reflects its ability to throw things; and Psych Up, which seemed fitting based on its hypnotic facial expression. I chose not to include Rain Dance despite most TM-learning Pokemon being able to learn it, because who wants to leave a pillow out in the rain? Rock Smash is also omitted because most pillows can't smash rocks.

Cotton Spore (Mareep)
Encore (Clefairy)
Fake Tears (Mawile)
Scary Face (Snubbull)
Simple Beam (Skitty)
Wide Guard (Mudkip)
Wish (Skitty)

I decided to place Kerfluffle in the Fairy and Monster egg groups because it is Fairy-type and it is a pillow monster. Fake Tears and Scary Face reflect Kerfluffle's eyes and face, Simple Beam is for the competitive gimmicks with Parting Shot, and Wide Guard is because of its widespread pillow arms.

Block
Bounce
Covet
Giga Drain
Helping Hand
Snore

Covet reflects Kerfluffle's ability to take something and clutch it in its pillow arms. Helping Hand also utilizes its loving arms.

Attract
Aura Sphere
Baby-Doll Eyes
Block
Body Slam
Bounce
Brick Break
Bulk Up
Close Combat
Confide
Constrict
Cotton Spore
Covet
Dazzling Gleam
Disarming Voice
Dizzy Punch
Double Slap
Double Team
Dream Eater
Encore
Energy Ball
Facade
Fake Tears
Feather Dance
Flash Cannon
Fling
Focus Blast
Frustration
Giga Drain
Giga Impact
Grass Knot
Helping Hand
Hidden Power
Hyper Beam
Leer
Low Sweep
Moonblast
Night Shade
Parting Shot
Protect
Psych Up
Rest
Return
Round
Safeguard
Scary Face
Secret Power
Simple Beam
Sleep Talk
Sludge Bomb
Sludge Wave
Snarl
Snore
Strength
Substitute
Sunny Day
Swagger
Taunt
Thrash
Toxic
Wake-Up Slap
Wide Guard
Wish
Yawn

Last edited:
Time for some comments.

Buzzer_Error Nice, I really like the sleeping motif in your movepool - it really fits with Kerfluffle's design. I also found the inventive flavour moves such as Aromatic Mist and Infestation to be quite clever. However, I few things I would note are that Parting Shot seems somewhat of a flavour oddity in your movepool; it doesn't bear much coherence to the other themes and patterns of your level-up moves, especially the 'helpfulness' of moves such as Heal Pulse. I would also consider swapping the position Aura Sphere and Moonblast in your level-up moves because the former tends to be learnt earlier (see Lucario for an example) and the latter much later (for example Gardevoir).

Alfalfa A good attempt at a movepool, but I think that it could do with a few tweaks to make it more realistic. Firstly, you are missing some required universal TMs: Facade, Confide and Swagger. Though not completely universal, most non-Fire Types have Rain Dance too, so that could be an option to add. Secondly, your level-up moves seem a little sparse. I think that leaving a gap of 8 levels between some moves is a bit much and you could actually fit more moves in to give it some more depth. Also, try spicing up your level-up moves with moves not of the Fairy, Fighting or Normal type, like I have done with Dark Type moves and Buzzer_Error with Psychic Type. Don't be disheartened though, especially if flavour is not your strong point.

Yoshiblaze I don't think that you have made many mistakes - far from it! I think you have made a competent movepool. One thing that does stick out at me, though, is that your level-up pattern is very close together and I think that spacing out your moves so that they run to a higher level and have bigger spacing could be a good idea. You could also consider removing some - perhaps Kerfluffle doesn't need quite so many attacking moves, about 3 maximum of each type should suffice for the level-up set in my opinion. However, I like your inclusion of Teeter Dance and Quick Guard as they definitely give some depth to your movepool. I'm not sure ablut Bulldoze and Aerial Ace as TMs either, maybe you could provide some more reasoning. Finally, a few small nitpicks: you might want to include Rain Dance like I said to Alfalfa and you have 5 tutor moves, not four as you have listed.

G-Luke Again, no need to be afraid of mistakes - in fact, this is one of my favourites so far. Very well structured and has clear reasoning. Not much to say really; my only criticism is that you forgot to include, like I did originally, Secret Power as a mandatory universal move.

boxofkangaroos It's hard to judge your movepool before you have given descriptions, but at first glance it seems really impressive at being subtly unique. I really like how your level-up moves differ from the norm but are far from outrageous and certainly fit with the design of Kerfluffle. Though I could be wrong, I was under the impression that Heart Scale moves are often learnt again at a later level. If I am, please correct me! Not much criticism other than that, except that you should probably include weather moves in your TMs. I can't wait to see your descriptions!

As a general note, I would like to say that Slude Wave should almost always be paired with Sludge Bomb and I think that should be added to movepools that lack it, especially if they have room to spare. The only Pokemon that learn Sludge Wave and not Sludge Bomb are the Swampert family and Zygarde, so there is almost no reason not to include it (well done boxofkangaroos for doing this).

Deck Knight I forgot to tag you when I talked about Trick in my post and I don't think it will work if I edit it so I'll talk about it now. Basically, it's a move that both fits with Kerfluffle's flavour and has a positive impact on it conceptually. I was actually going to bring it up as an edit to the Choice Specs set in the Movesets Discussion but I ran out of time before it closed. Basically, it helps us beat the passive Pokemon that don't care about Parting Shot, something we specified to do in the Threats Discussion. If it is deemed to stay banned from Kerfluffle's movepool however, I am happy to remove it.

Time for some comments.

Yoshiblaze I don't think that you have made many mistakes - far from it! I think you have made a competent movepool. One thing that does stick out at me, though, is that your level-up pattern is very close together and I think that spacing out your moves so that they run to a higher level and have bigger spacing could be a good idea. You could also consider removing some - perhaps Kerfluffle doesn't need quite so many attacking moves, about 3 maximum of each type should suffice for the level-up set in my opinion. However, I like your inclusion of Teeter Dance and Quick Guard as they definitely give some depth to your movepool. I'm not sure ablut Bulldoze and Aerial Ace as TMs either, maybe you could provide some more reasoning. Finally, a few small nitpicks: you might want to include Rain Dance like I said to Alfalfa and you have 5 tutor moves, not four as you have listed.
I'll apply the changes, but for bigger and more noticeable changes like these, do I just edit my existing post or make a new one?

G-Luke

Sugar, Spice and One For All
is a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Time for some comments.

[

G-Luke Again, no need to be afraid of mistakes - in fact, this is one of my favourites so far. Very well structured and has clear reasoning. Not much to say really; my only criticism is that you forgot to include, like I did originally, Secret Power as a mandatory universal move.

boxofkangaroos It's hard to judge your movepool before you have given descriptions, but at first glance it seems really impressive at being subtly unique. I really like how your level-up moves differ from the norm but are far from outrageous and certainly fit with the design of Kerfluffle. Though I could be wrong, I was under the impression that Heart Scale moves are often learnt again at a later level. If I am, please correct me! Not much criticism other than that, except that you should probably include weather moves in your TMs. I can't wait to see your descriptions!

As a general note, I would like to say that Slude Wave should almost always be paired with Sludge Bomb and I think that should be added to movepools that lack it, especially if they have room to spare. The only Pokemon that learn Sludge Wave and not Sludge Bomb are the Swampert family and Zygarde, so there is almost no reason not to include it (well done boxofkangaroos for doing this).

Deck Knight I forgot to tag you when I talked about Trick in my post and I don't think it will work if I edit it so I'll talk about it now. Basically, it's a move that both fits with Kerfluffle's flavour and has a positive impact on it conceptually. I was actually going to bring it up as an edit to the Choice Specs set in the Movesets Discussion but I ran out of time before it closed. Basically, it helps us beat the passive Pokemon that don't care about Parting Shot, something we specified to do in the Threats Discussion. If it is deemed to stay banned from Kerfluffle's movepool however, I am happy to remove it.
Done and Done. I personally didnt include Sludge Bomb because it just doesnt seem right on Kerfluffle. I will change it if needed be however.

Kyubics - thank you for the critique! I don't actually agree with much of it, but that's more down to creative preferences than anything else :P In terms of the Aura Sphere/Moonblast thing, Lucario and Gardevoir are outliers (there are 10 non-legendary species that learn Moonblast between levels 30 and 50 inclusive, whereas, of the five non-legendaries that get Aura Sphere by level-up, three learn it above level 60), so I'm happy with those where they are. I've also come to prefer Sludge Wave without Sludge Bomb - I think it makes Kerfluffle a little more interesting. I do concede that Parting Shot looks a little odd in the level-up pool, though, so I've reframed my description to be more clear about how I think it fits in.

In terms of my own critique, I don't have terribly much to offer right now, so just a couple of points here:
  • Alfalfa - in the interest of flavour/"realism" I should point out that nothing learns Dazzling Gleam by level-up, so maybe consider explaining why it's in Kerfluffle's level-up pool? Also, I'm curious to know what Kerfluffle gets at level 32.
  • Kyubics - the Dark-type undertones are nice. Bulk Up is in your TM/HM list but is also Restricted (and thus banned) so you may want to query that if you're attached to it (edit: now unbanned, be free and Bulk Up to your heart's content); and I count 42 in your TM/HM list, not 40.
  • Yoshiblaze - I also think your level-up pool seems a little bit stuffed full; and it's just a minor thing, but could you explain why you chose to include Bulldoze in the TM list?
  • G-Luke - I think you're missing Wish, which is mandatory, and have Bulk Up, which is (currently) banned; also, having Close Combat as a Level 1 move and as an egg move seems faintly superfluous to me.
  • boxofkangaroos - I'm going to be interested in reading your explanations - there are some intriguing choices in your movepool. Withholding judgement until them, though.

Last edited:
  • Yoshiblaze - I also think your level-up pool seems a little bit stuffed full; and it's just a minor thing, but could you explain why you chose to include Bulldoze in the TM list?
I originally put it there as I figured that Kerfluffle would be big enough and be powerful enough to cause a small quake, like Bulldoze. When I edit my WIP, I'll probably take it out though. Also, no need to answer my question now, I'll edit the post.

EDIT: Post Updated

Last edited:

Deck Knight

is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Flavor Update / Clarification:

Brought some of these moves up to cbrevan:

Dream Eater and Confusion are allowed. DE is so ridiculously hard to even use, even on a Yawn set that it's just pure flavor.

Disable is not allowed because Sub/Disable does a number on many of our counters, especially scarved Poison types. Torment which has similar move locking properties in instances is allowed.

Trick/Switcheroo is not allowed because it interferes with items - the reason Knock Off was not allowed.

Uproar and Simple Beam aren't restricted moves anyway, so allowed.

This wasn't brought up since many of these are very common Fighting-type flavor:
Since we already have moves which insulate CAP from physical attacks, Bulk Up will be allowed as a status move even though it is a booster, same with Power-Up Punch and Focus Punch. Hi Jump Kick was not allowed. On coverage that matches up with special coverage, Poison Jab is allowed but Iron Head is not because of speed + flinch concerns.

Do not interpret these allowances as a means to get sneaky with physical attack options, just take it for a way to flesh out your flavor profiles.

We also discussed allowing Torment as a flavor option and allowed it.

boxofkangaroos Okay then! This is an interesting movepool, it seems quite different to the others so far because it's quite physically-oriented. I don't personally feel the slightly creepy vibe from Kerfluffle that your movepool shows, but that's just an aesthetic preference and your movepool is definitely internally consistent, so kudos.

Some brief queries/comments:
  • Night Shade & Thrash in the level-up pool; are they a reference to night terrors or something?
  • The presence of only one attacking Fairy move in the level-up pool (Moonblast) seems a little off to me.
  • I think Body Slam is still banned? Bounce is as well, by the looks of it.
  • Justification for leaving out Rain Dance = 100% excellent. It's taking a lot of my willpower not to lift it wholesale for mine.

snake

is a Community Leaderis a Top CAP Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
CAP Co-Leader
Final Submission

Mandatory moves are bold.
Repeated moves are underlined.
Universal moves are italicized.

- Scratch
- Feather Dance
- Fairy Wind
5: Fairy Wind
9: Yawn
13: Wake-Up Slap
17: Draining Kiss
21: Endure
25: Crush Claw
29: Scary Face
33: Parting Shot
37: Play Rough
41: Rest
45: Aura Sphere
49: Moonblast
53: Close Combat
57: Nightmare
57: Dream Eater

So I see Kerfluffle as this crazy psychopathic Fairy / Fighting Pokemon that wants to murder and terrorize everything it lays its twisted eyes on. I also focused a good bit on the sleep aspect on Kerfluffle. It has claws, so I added Scratch and Crush Claw as its Normal-type moves. Kerfluffle has access to Feather Dance because it's full of feathers. It gets Fairy Wind because it's a whoopee cushion as a weak Fairy-type STAB, and then Yawn to lull his foes to sleep. Then to disorient them, Kerfluffle can use Wake-Up Slap. Draining Kiss is another Fairy-type STAB, and it gives Kerfluffle more energy to continue beating on its foes. Endure alludes to its design, as a pillow can absorb a hit easily and not crack, tear, etc. Kerfluffle has a Scary Face already, and it can make a scarier face whenever it wants to. Parting Shot is a way to escape when it needs to flee. Play Rough is its next Fairy-type STAB, which lets it knock around foes better (refer to its in-game animation). Everything needs to Rest, and there's nothing that can sleep more easily than a pillow. Aura Sphere and Moonblast let Kerfluffle take on enemies from afar, whereas Close Combat lets Kerfluffle take on enemies in a similar vein to Play Rough. Nightmare and Dream Eater are Kerfluffle's final weapons to bully its foes. Focus Blast is reserved for its TMs because, well, Kerfluffle is too spazzy to focus and needs to be taught how.

I really intended for Parting Shot to be a move that Kerfluffle learns when it evolves, and I felt like 33 would be a good level.

TM06: Toxic
TM08: Bulk Up
TM10: Hidden Power
TM11: Sunny Day
TM12: Taunt
TM15: Hyper Beam
TM17: Protect
TM21: Frustration
TM27: Return
TM31: Brick Break
TM32: Double Team
TM34: Sludge Wave
TM36: Sludge Bomb
TM41: Torment
TM42: Facade
TM44: Rest
TM45: Attract
TM48: Round
TM52: Focus Blast
TM53: Energy Ball
TM67: Retaliate
TM68: Giga Impact
TM77: Psych Up
TM85: Dream Eater
TM86: Grass Knot
TM87: Swagger
TM88: Sleep Talk
TM90: Substitute
TM91: Flash Cannon
TM95: Snarl
TM98: Power-Up Punch
TM99: Dazzling Gleam
TM100: Confide
HM04: Strength

Retaliate is part of a Move-Move correlation with Close Combat and Scratch.

Charm (Clefable)
Encore (Clefable)
Quick Guard (Sawk)
Wide Guard (Throh)
Wish (Clefable)

All of these moves can be learned from Clefable, Sawk, and Throh.

Drain Punch
Giga Drain
Helping Hand
Low Kick
Snore

Kerfluffle knows how to use Draining Kiss, so it can modify this technique to use both Drain Punch and Giga Drain. Kerfluffle likes to help its teammates so it can lend a Helping Hand. Low Kick is another way for Kurfluffle to disorient its foes. When Kerfluffle sleeps, it can also Snore.

Kerfluffle @ Choice Band
Ability: Natural Cure
??? Nature
OT: cbrevan, 55555
Level: 16
- Celebrate
- Hold Hands
- Fly
- Metronome

Attract
Aura Sphere
Brick Break
Bulk Up
Celebrate
Charm
Close Combat
Confide
Crush Claw
Dazzling Gleam
Double Team
Drain Punch
Draining Kiss
Dream Eater
Encore
Endure
Energy Ball
Facade
Fairy Wind
Feather Dance
Focus Blast
Flash Cannon
Fly
Frustration
Giga Drain
Giga Impact
Grass Knot
Helping Hand
Hidden Power
Hold Hands
Hyper Beam
Low Kick
Metronome
Moonblast
Nightmare
Parting Shot
Play Rough
Power-Up Punch
Protect
Psych Up
Quick Guard
Rest
Retaliate
Return
Round
Scary Face
Scratch
Sleep Talk
Sludge Bomb
Sludge Wave
Snarl
Snore
Strength
Substitute
Sunny Day
Swagger
Taunt
Toxic
Torment
Wake-Up Slap
Wide Guard
Wish
Yawn

Last edited:
boxofkangaroos I love this movepool even more now! I really think the unique elements work. I definitely agree with your reasoning behind Bounce, but you do need to get it approved along with Body Slam. Completely from a personal perspective, though, I would say to embrace the Fairy typing of Kerfluffle a little more than just Moonblast in your level-up moves. However, saying that, you seem to have made the most of every single slot flavour wise so I don't know where you would include them. In regards to TMs, I think you are perfectly within your rights to omit Rain Dance - I think it's a great idea and it's hard to not take it out of mine as well. As for Rock Smash, however, Kerfluffle would be the first Fighting type not to learn it, and according to Game Freak, even 60cm high pine cones with no arms can smash rocks. Also, Focus Punch is no longer a TM; Hone Claws is is in fact TM01.

snake_rattler Hard to critique without descriptions, but it looks a solid start! Nice use of Dream Eater and Nightmare and I like the fact that you've focused on a different aspect of Kerfluffle's design in its claws. Like some other movepools, however, Parting Shot seems somewhat of an oddity so that would be something to address with your descriptions. It also would be interesting to see your reasoning for Cut.

Buzzer_Error Thanks for your comments! I think I just forgot to update the hide tag after fiddling with the TMs - there is still only 65 moves. Going back to Aura Sphere/Moonblast, I agree now on Aura Sphere now, but I'm still unsure on Moonblast. I really don't think that Gardevoir is an outlier; of all non-legendary fully evolved Pokemon that learn Moonblast (discounting Florges because it does not have proper level-up moves) 77% learn Moonblast at level 50 or above. In fact, the average level for Moonblast to be learnt by these Pokemon is 57. I completely understand if you don't want to change your movepool however, and in that case I think that we'll just have to agree to disagree :) Also, I have to say that the added descriptions to your movepool make it much better and more complete.

Deck Knight As I was going through my movepool again, I began to wonder why we need both Snarl and Confide as Mandatory Moves in our movepools, considering that they both have he same effect. I think that the SpA drop was meant to act as a pseudo Memento in tandem with Parting Shot, so in that case why do we need them both? I know that Snarl has a different effect in doubles, but we are making Kerfluffle for a singles metagame so I don't think that supplies a reason for both to be required to be present.

Korski

Distilled, 80 proof
is a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Final Submission

What I see when I look at Kerfluffle, with that name and that face and the whole concept of a pillow-fighter, I get a vibe of almost overwhelming fun and persistent childishness, with a personality that is inarguably delightful but almost certainly becomes rapidly annoying to mature adults. To Kerfluffle, it is always playtime and it possesses endless energy for doing anything fun, which makes it a great companion for children but probably also a frustrating Pokemon to train for battle. This is the central theme of the movepool as a whole, with a little Dark-type stuff thrown in for mischief-related flavor and to pull Parting Shot more cleanly into the mix.

(18 moves)

- Close Combat
- Endure
- Refresh
- Lick
- Charm
6 - Play Nice
9 - Tickle
12 - Disarming Voice
16 - Feather Dance
20 - Sing
23 - Wake-Up Slap
26 - Yawn
31 - Uproar
36 - Play Rough
39 - Submission
42 - Misty Terrain
46 - Moonblast
50 - Parting Shot
56 - Close Combat

The main goal of the Level-Up list is to show Kerfluffle as an active and frustratingly childish pillow-mon. Playing off the irony inherent in pillow fighting (pillows are used for rest and relaxation, not for fighting!), this Kerfluffle actually resents when its playmates attempt to end its playtime by taking a rest, no matter how desperately tired they are. When they are lulled to sleep by its whimsical Singing, Kerfluffle is hurt and offended and shocks them back awake with a Wake-Up Slap. When they become drowsy after an innocent Yawn, Kerfluffle is annoyed and riles them back up with an Uproarious temper tantrum. Its early-level moves reflect this more child-like enthusiasm and playful energy: Play Nice and Tickle form a duo of purely innocent fun; Feather Dance and Sing are joyous activities that pair well (song and dance); and Charm and Disarming Voice play to a sort of "cute" emotional manipulation that many children learn to take advantage of to get what they want. Lick as the starting attack is a nod to the art design that also works into the childish theme of the early levels quite well for being a generally gross and dumb thing to do to others.

At L36/39 Kerfluffle learns Play Rough and Submission, which is meant to be a clumsier version of the Play Nice/Tickle combo from L6/9, to show its physical growth outpacing its emotional maturity. Eventually (but not until the end of the learnset), it learns more controlled and battle-oriented Fairy and Fighting-type techniques (Moonblast and Close Combat). Misty Terrain is an additional flavor move placed in conjunction with Moonblast to create a misty, nighttime dream-like vibe, but it also connects the LU list to Kerfluffle's Natural Cure ability. Same goes for the Heart Scale move Refresh, which connects back to the general pillow/sleep stuff theme. Close Combat is also a HS move since it is a major STAB learned after L50 (this seems to be a trend, probably for wifi battles if I had to guess), so it's a shot at some movepool "realism". The last HS move is Endure because it is a move that helps Kerfluffle cushion any blow (pun intended), and in this way corresponds thematically with all the attack-lowering moves present here (I went a little heavy with these moves to really play up the notion of a pillow-based Pokemon being especially resilient to physical blows and even discouraging them altogether with its child-like demeanor and fun-loving attitude).

Finally, Parting Shot blends in with the rest of the movepool for being both an attack-lowering move (Charm, Play Nice, Tickle, Feather Dance) and a vocal move (Disarming Voice, Sing, Uproar), and also for exhibiting rather immature behavior, pulling the overall thematics through to the end of the learnset.
(Fairy, Human-Like; 6 moves)

Aura Sphere - Lucario, Meinshao, Togekiss
Copycat - Azumarill, Blissey, Clefable, Delcatty, Florges, Jynx, Lopunny, Lucario, Minun, Mr. Mime, Plusle, Slurpuff, Spinda, Wigglytuff
Encore - Alakazam, Audino, Azumarill, Clefable, Hawlucha, Illumise, Infernape, Jumpluff, Lopunny, Machamp, Minun, Mr. Mime, Plusle, Raichu, Spinda, Togekiss, Volbeat, Whimsicott
Me First - Hawlucha, Lucario, Meinshao, Pangoro, Toxicroak
Metronome - Blissey, Clefable, Granbull, Togekiss
Wish - Aromatisse, Audino, Clefable, Delcatty, Florges, Illumise, Jynx, Minun, Plusle, Raichu, Slurpuff, Spinda, Togekiss, Wigglytuff

Fairy and Human-Like groups are an easy fit for a bipedal Fairymon, so I shouldn't need to get into that. Aura Sphere is in the Egg pool because it doesn't really fit with the child-like Level-Up thematics. The other moves here all aim to introduce a sort of randomness or aimlessness that complement those LU themes, with Copycat, Me First, and Metronome contributing the most in that regard as they all allow Kerfluffle to call upon any random move. Encore and Me First play to a child-like enthusiasm that often comes across as impatience; Copycat and Me First reflect annoying childish tendencies; and Wish expresses a sort of naivete in the context of the rest of the learnset.

Also, if we give Kerfluffle Metronome it will be the seventh CAP to learn it, meaning there can finally be some variety in the very popular and competitive ALL CAPS Metronome metagame and people won't have to use shitty Voodoom if they don't want to. I cannot understate how absolutely critical this is, but I'm sure it's obvious to everyone already.
(37 moves)

TM06 - Toxic
TM10 - Hidden Power
TM11 - Sunny Day
TM12 - Taunt
TM15 - Hyper Beam
TM17 - Protect
TM18 - Rain Dance
TM20 - Safeguard
TM21 - Frustration
TM27 - Return
TM31 - Brick Break
TM32 - Double Team
TM34 - Sludge Wave
TM36 - Sludge Bomb
TM41 - Torment
TM42 - Facade
TM44 - Rest
TM45 - Attract
TM47 - Low Sweep
TM48 - Round
TM52 - Focus Blast
TM53 - Energy Ball
TM56 - Fling
TM67 - Retaliate
TM68 - Giga Impact
TM86 - Grass Knot
TM87 - Swagger
TM88 - Sleep Talk
TM90 - Substitute
TM91 - Flash Cannon
TM94 - Secret Power
TM95 - Snarl
TM98 - Power-Up Punch
TM99 - Dazzling Gleam
TM100 - Confide
HM04 - Strength
HM05 - Rock Smash

This list is mostly limited to mandatory moves, Type-Move and Move-Move stuff (excluding the banned Rock-type moves), and the universal machines. Safeguard is included in the same vein as Misty Terrain as a status-related move to reflect Natural Cure. Torment and Fling reinforce a mischievous nature along with Taunt and Snarl. And finally I tried to squeeze all the Fighting-type TMs in here because they are all very common amongst Fighting-types.
(5 moves)

Focus Punch
Giga Drain
Low Kick
Uproar
Snore

The Tutor pool is pretty barren as I spent most of my flavor options on better stuff in the Level-Up and Egg pools. Focus Punch is actually learned by every non-legendary Fighting type in the game, and all but two (Breloom and Poliwrath) learn Low Kick, so I included those, along with the required Giga Drain, repeat Uproar, and universal Snore.
(65 moves)

Mandatory Moves: 16/16
Universal Moves: 18/18

Dark Moves (5):

Fling
Parting Shot
Snarl
Taunt

Torment

Fairy Moves (6):

Charm
Dazzling Gleam
Disarming Voice
Misty Terrain
Moonblast
Play Rough

Fighting Moves (11):

Aura Sphere
Brick Break
Close Combat
Focus Blast

Focus Punch
Low Kick
Low Sweep
Power-Up Punch
Rock Smash
Submission
Wake-Up Slap

Fire Moves (1):

Sunny Day

Flying Moves (1):

Feather Dance

Ghost Moves (1):

Lick

Grass Moves (3):

Energy Ball
Giga Drain
Grass Knot

Normal Moves (31):

Attract
Confide

Copycat
Double Team
Encore
Endure
Facade
Frustration
Giga Impact
Hidden Power
Hyper Beam

Me First
Metronome
Play Nice
Protect
Refresh
Retaliate
Return
Round

Safeguard
Secret Power
Sing
Sleep Talk
Snore

Strength
Substitute
Swagger

Tickle
Uproar
Wish
Yawn

Poison Moves (3):

Sludge Bomb
Sludge Wave
Toxic

Psychic Moves (1):

Rest

Steel Moves (1):

Flash Cannon

Water Moves (1):

Rain Dance

Last edited:

Deck Knight

Deck Knight As I was going through my movepool again, I began to wonder why we need both Snarl and Confide as Mandatory Moves in our movepools, considering that they both have he same effect. I think that the SpA drop was meant to act as a pseudo Memento in tandem with Parting Shot, so in that case why do we need them both? I know that Snarl has a different effect in doubles, but we are making Kerfluffle for a singles metagame so I don't think that supplies a reason for both to be required to be present.
Snarl does damage (and happens to be fairly effective chip damage against some of CAP's switchins), Confide doesn't. An analogue would be to say Rock Smash and Leer are the same if Rock Smash were 55 BP and always reduced Defense. I hope that clears things up.

boxofkangaroos

this is the day of the expanding man
Buzzer_Error Night Shade is a reference to Kerfluffle's sleep theme, while Thrash is when Kerfluffle unleashes its power and relentlessly beats up its foe with its pillows. Body Slam and Bounce are both allowed according to Deck Knight. As for Fairy-type moves in the level-up movepool, none of the weaker ones seemed to fit too well thematically, however I might end up adding one in there for logic's sake.

Kyubics Read the above comments, because a lot of it also applies to what you said. I still can't see myself adding Rock Smash because it makes so little sense thematically. Thanks for pointing out the Focus Punch thing, it will be removed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)