Moving Country

Zodiax

not this
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnus
Apologies if this has already been discussed but I was wondering if anyone on here has actually moved countries? Whether its for work, pleasure, education or just a change in life.

I'm planning on moving to Canada within the next two months to further my career in cheer and wanted to know people's stories about how they did it, what it was like when they first moved and if they wish they could move back home or not.

Post away

Kink

it's a thug life ¨̮
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
As someone who lives in Toronto, the first thing I'll say is that you should be prepared for diversity. Toronto is part mini-New York part cultural mosaic of the world. You're going to find all kinds of people who think all kinds of different things. Whether you're interested in local church gatherings, sex clubs, tech and computers, competitive dancing communities, etc you got it. Toronto has tons of opportunities for all kinds of people who are into all kinds of different things. It's also one of the more expensive cities in the world, and even the most minimalistic lifestyle won't allow you to make less than $2000 a month if you plan to live in the city and hope to have even a half-decent place to live regardless of the 1960s decor.

That being said, if you're well off and are coming in with $$, Toronto will be a playground. Incredible restaurants, great sites, tons of summer festivals. If you like cannabis, this is the right city for you as 6/10 people can point you to the direction of the local dispensary. The night life has a lot to offer, and, while it's not the kind of city that typically stays up past 2am, you can definitely find the right (or wrong?) people to keep the night going.

Toronto is a very big city, and because of that city crime tends to follow. It's not unsafe, and there are no open-carry laws here so little-to-no guns are to be expected, but it's a city. And with a big city comes all kinds of people, including the occasional creep or weirdo. Stay smart and you'll be plenty safe.

Toronto is surrounded by something called the Greater Toronto Area (GTA). The GTA is made up of cities that immediately surround Toronto and add a lot to what you're able to do within a 30-60 minute drive. If you include these cities, Toronto is bigger than New York by a landslide. You'll never run out of things to do if you're interested in trying new things. Mississauga has indoor skydiving. Scarborough has some great beaches. Vaughan has Wonderland, one of the biggest theme parks in the world, just to name 1% of the stuff.

Certain areas of Toronto are split up in ways that cater to very specific areas. There is definitely a chinatown, little italy, etc. They're quite easy to spot, and quite delicious to visit. Kensington Market is a little hippy gem for all things youthful and is a must visit for anyone coming to Toronto, you'll never know what you'll find there.

idk I tried to make this comprehensive without making it too boring to read. I hope you have a great time in the city, perhaps we'll bump heads one of these days. Oh yeah, it also still gets painfully cold in the winter. Not as bad as the memes portray, but still pretty bad.

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
Yes, I've lived in the UK for 5 years.
I spent the other years in Hong Kong.

Beware of cultural shock. The older a person gets, the easier a person gets cultural shock.
Also, I suggest not to believe that either country is superior/ inferior.
That belief can make you very unhappy.
Countries are different, and each country has good stuff and bad stuff.
Don't ever expect all countries to be the same due to globalization or whatever reason.

Expect that you won't be able to take a lot of stuff with you.
You probably have to buy most of your stuff (preferably in bulk) after you get to your new country.
It's probably more expensive to take all your stuff with you, than to buy new stuff.
So, pack light, and only bring the essentials.
Don't bring too many clothes.
Buy new clothes in the new country and observe the new country's clothing trends.
Use socks to stuff the gaps of your luggage.

You'll also need new stuff related to the new weather.

Hey, Zodiax.

I lived in Montréal for 2 months and Québec for 6. As long as you are aware of canadian culture, you will have a good time. You know, dealing with climate there (made easier by enjoying winter sports by the way), making sure you get your name under tons of social experiences.

I've already been in Toronto and it is pretty nice. You won't find clues otherwise..! So, please start pushing yourself into experiences right off the bat when you get there. Never allow yourself to be inside your own box, because people are really going to respect your choice by never "disturbing" you. On the other hand, by showing commitment and beastmode introducing yourself, you will find some of the best people you've ever met. It's freaking Canada!

Anyways, I'll be here. Glad to help you somehow.

Hey! I was born and have spent most of my life in the US, but about a year ago I moved to a small city in Ukraine to pursue a career in the TESL field.

As Cresselia said earlier, the culture shock was strong at first, but I was lucky enough to have some family who had lived here for a while, as well as made a few English-speaking friends to help me get around and get used to my new environment. And now that I know a bit of the language myself, it's really not that bad. The cheap living is nice as are the fast internet speeds hehe and the people here are very friendly and accommodating, language barrier aside.

I think the most important thing to keep in mind is to have connections wherever it is you move, whether it be friends, family, or coworkers etc. Knowing someone well-acquainted with the location will be immensely helpful. Wishing you luck with your move!

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!

Shame That

TAKE IT ALL OR LEAVE IT
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Just a reminder: cultural shock can cause mood disorders directly.
It's real, and is serious.
https://www.hastac.org/blogs/natali-creglia/2016/12/01/impact-cultural-shock-mental-health

Thoroughly research on the new country, and try making friends who are living in that country, preferably the same city.
Even when you think USA is just right next to Canada, don't assume you don't need to research.
thanks for the reading. i'm gonna be exchanging to Germany to study for the whole of 2019 and i've barely stepped outside Australia, so reading that international students are most at risk is a good wake up call

I am from France and now i live in Colombia. I like, the language was hard to learn but it's a really cool experience. There is a really diversity of paysages, this is not dangerous as people can said if you don't look for problems. I didn't get a cultural shock. I have some tips for people who are learning a new language ; don't try to translate your language but try to think with the language you want to learn, and try to don't speak a lot in you're native language

I have been travelling with AFS ( American field service )

https://afs.org/

Zodiax

not this
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnus
It’s been a while since I made this thread so here’s an update

I’m in Canada! Moved here on the 10th July and currently loving the summer here! Don’t think I’ll be able to say the same for winter though...

If anyone from the UK would like to do what I’ve done to get here feel free to message me but I’m loving Toronto so far

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
It’s been a while since I made this thread so here’s an update

I’m in Canada! Moved here on the 10th July and currently loving the summer here! Don’t think I’ll be able to say the same for winter though...

If anyone from the UK would like to do what I’ve done to get here feel free to message me but I’m loving Toronto so far
Funny you mention Toronto, today I've just submit my application for a working holiday visa over there. As I'm Australian, the spots aren't limited (we have an agreement with Canada so the reverse is true) and we're pretty much always accepted barring having a criminal record (which I don't).

Been speaking to Kink about this in quite a bit of depth and I'm very excited to be able to experience living abroad while I'm young. If any foreigners who migrated to Canada have tips on getting skilled work (I have a bachelors degree and 3 years of industry experience in Marketing) BEFORE having Canadian Work Experience, then hit me up.

I've come up with a few backup plans in case I can't land a job from over here, but obviously if I could, that would make my life a whole lot easier.

I intend to move to the UK or Canada soon after finishing high school (I am from Brazil), I will be doing exchange with the goal of entering a college.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)