LC Mudkip

[OVERVIEW]

Mudkip struggles to justify itself a spot on competitive teams, due to a poor Speed tier and limited movepool. Although it possesses above-average stats all-around, Corphish and Carvanha are better Water-type attackers that bring additional coverage along with more potent offenses. Chinchou's Electric typing along with Staryu's access to reliable recovery make them better defensive options than Mudkip.

[SET]
name: Bulky Attacker
move 1: Waterfall
move 2: Ice Beam
move 3: Superpower
move 4: Double-Edge / Return
item: Eviolite
ability: Torrent
nature: Impish
evs: 196 Atk / 116 Def / 196 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]

Mudkip should look to come in on threats, tank a hit, and then deal damage. However, even with an Eviolite, there are better Water-type tanks that have better coverage, and Mudkip's poor Special Attack means that Ice Beam is often not threatening enough against Grass types. Offensive Staryu, Carvanha, and Corphish all outclass Mudkip as more offensive Water-types.

[CREDITS]

- Written by: [[AFatMudkip, 449632]]
- Quality checked by: [[Nineage, 195129], [Merritt, 213064]]
- Grammar checked by: [[Mr. Uncompetitive, 145317]]

Last edited:

Nineage

Pugnacious.
is a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
[OVERVIEW]
  • Remove the word "any", it struggles to carve a spot on competitive teams, period
  • I'd change your examples to Shellder, Vanha, and Staryu, and talk about how their Speed (or ability to boost it) and coverage options specifically set them above Mudkip
  • I'd also talk about how its outclassed defensively by Chou and defensive Star due to better typing and access to recovery, respectively
[SET]
  • Briefly talked on discord, but this thing has good enough defenses that if its being used, it should operate as a mixed tank with Eviolite, since you can take a few hits and hit back decently hard I guess.
  • Change the set and then tag me on discord so I can look at it before giving you 1/2.

[SET COMMENTS]
  • Remember that this is supposed to be just one sentence about the set and what it aims to do, then 1 or 2 sentences about why it usually fails. Don't get bogged down in set details here.
Make the changes and then message me on Discord.
E: 1/2

Last edited:

Merritt

no comment
is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Head TD
[OVERVIEW]

No need to state the Shellder or Carvanha sets specifically, I'd also prefer to see Corphish mentioned over Shellder because it's a much stronger comparison to Mudkip as a bulky Water-type attacker who doesn't need setup to be threatening.

[SET]

Replace Earth Power with Superpower, hits significantly harder and has better coverage.

[SET COMMENTS]

Remove the Earth Power mention in accordance with the set change. Add a sentence afterward to restate that Mudkip is outclassed by Staryu, Carvanha, and Corphish as offensive Water-types.

Implement this and give yourself 2/2

Mr. Uncompetitive

What makes us human?
is a Contributor Alumnus
GP 1/1

Additions, (AC) = add comma
Removals, (RC) = remove comma
Comments

[OVERVIEW]

Mudkip struggles to carve itself justify a spot on competitive teams, due to a poor speed Speed tier and limited movepool. Although it possesses above-average stats all-around, Corphish and Carvanha are better Water-type attackers that bring additional coverage along with more potent offenses. Chinchou's Electric-typing Electric typing along with Staryu's access to self-recovery reliable recovery make them better defensive options than Mudkip.
(add line break)
[SET]
(remove line break)
name: Bulky Attacker
move 1: Waterfall
move 2: Ice Beam
move 3: Superpower
move 4: Double-Edge(add space)/(add space)Return
item: Eviolite
ability: Torrent
nature: Impish
evs: 196 Atk / 116 Def / 196 SpDef SpD

[SET COMMENTS]
(remove line break)
Mudkip should look to come in on threats and , (AC) tank a hit, and then look to deal damage. However, even with an Eviolite, there are better Water-type tanks that have better coverage, and Mudkip's poor Special Attack means that its coverage moves in Ice Beam are is (i'm assuming you only wanted to mention Ice Beam here?) often not threatening enough against Grass types. Offensive Staryu, Carvanha, and Corphish all outclass Mudkip as more offensive Water-types.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)