PU Mudsdale

SergioRules

||blimp||
is a Community Contributor
uploaded -zard

[OVERVIEW]

With an Attack stat of 125, Mudsdale finds itself as one of the strongest physical attackers in the tier. This, along with great bulk, means that Mudsdale will very rarely go down in one hit and can fire back with a strong attack most of the time. Being a Ground-type means that Mudsdale gets a strong and spammable STAB Earthquake and allows it to be a stop to Volt Switch and other Electric-type moves. Mudsdale also has the exclusive ability Stamina, which raises its Defense after being hit by a physical move, making it a decent check to many physical attackers. However, Mudsdale suffers from a low Speed of 35, meaning that it will likely take damage before it can use an attack. Its excellent Ground typing also comes with weaknesses to common types such as Water, Grass, and Ice. Mudsdale also has no recovery outside of Rest, meaning that despite its good bulk and ability, it is prone to getting worn down by repeated attacks, status, and entry hazards. Finally, with an overall shallow movepool, Mudsdale is also fairly predictable and is considered a mediocre wallbreaker despite its high Attack, as all of its moves can easily be played around.

[SET]
name: Choice Band
move 1: Earthquake
move 2: Heavy Slam
move 3: Rock Slide
move 4: Close Combat / Toxic
item: Choice Band
ability: Stamina
nature: Adamant
evs: 132 HP / 252 Atk / 124 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Mudsdale's high Attack and Ground typing mean that it has one of the most powerful Earthquakes in the PU metagame that will do heavy damage to anything that isn't immune to or doesn't resist it. Heavy Slam is able to do a huge amount of damage to Pokemon that may feel safe switching into an Earthquake such as Togetic and Mesprit. Rock Slide is used to hit other Flying-types such as Archeops and the Oricorio formes. Close Combat offers a better way to hit Levitate users that resist Heavy Slam, namely Eelektross and Bronzor, as well as doing more to defensive Miltank. Toxic can be used to punish foes that could normally safely switch into Mudsdale like Torterra and Gourgeist-XL and wear them down for later, though being locked into Toxic can leave Mudsdale exploited by setup sweepers like Alolan Raichu and Oricorio-G if they also carry Substitute.

Set Details
========

Choice Band increases Mudsdale's Attack to allow it to become one of the most powerful physical attackers in the tier and serve as a decent wallbreaker. The EV spread along with an Adamant nature maximizes Mudsdale's Attack stat and allows it to outspeed the unboosted base 50 Speed tier with Pokemon like Audino, Eelektross, and Regirock. The remaining EVs are dumped into HP to provide some extra bulk for weaker physical hits. Stamina is Mudsdale's preferred ability, allowing it to check weaker physical attackers by raising its Defense after being hit.

Usage Tips
========

Mudsdale is best used as an early-game wallbreaker to do heavy damage to bulkier Pokemon so that the rest of its team can clean late-game. It functions as a stop to Volt Switch with its Ground typing but has to be cautious of super effective coverage that many Electric-types carry. Its Stamina ability can also be used to help it take on physical attackers like Kangaskhan and Archeops fairly well. If Mudsdale is used in the later portion of a game, it will want to come in on something fairly weak and just try to get off as much damage as possible. It should be wary of locking itself into a move if a Pokemon with a resistance or an immunity to that move is still on the opposing team.

Team Options
========

Like most offensive Pokemon, Mudsdale appreciates entry hazard support from the likes of Mesprit, Ferroseed, and Weezing to help wear down its checks. Dedicated Water- and Grass-type checks are also good partners to help take on those attacks aimed at Mudsdale. Powerful Fire-types like Magmortar and Choice Specs Pyroar function well with Mudsdale, as they can help break Grass-types with Fire Blast and check Water-types with Thunderbolt and Hidden Power Grass. Meanwhile, Mudsdale checks Rock- and Ground-type attacks aimed at them. The best kind of partners for Mudsdale in general are faster Pokemon that appreciate having specially defensive walls broken through. Floatzel, Alolan Raichu, and Pyroar are all options for this. Setup sweepers like Swords Dance Silvally formes and Turtonator also appreciate Mudsdale's ability to break through their checks like Regirock and Lanturn, respectively. Having hazard control can help Mudsdale survive longer. Swanna is an option for this, as it also handles Weezing, and Skuntank can be used to take care of Mesprit.

[SET]
name: RestTalk
move 2: Toxic / Rock Slide
move 3: Rest
move 4: Sleep Talk
item: Leftovers / Rocky Helmet
nature: Careful
evs: 252 HP / 104 Def / 152 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Earthquake is Mudsdale's strongest and most powerful STAB option, and due to Mudsdale's high Attack, it can still pack a punch if uninvested. Toxic is able to wear down checks that switch into Mudsdale like Mesprit and Flying-types. Rock Slide can be used to hit Flying-types that try to switch into Earthquake such as Archeops and Swanna and completes EdgeQuake coverage. Rest and Sleep Talk are this set's main moves, increasing Mudsdale's ability to stay around and tank hits in combination with Stamina along with avoiding status and entry hazard damage.

Set Details
========

The given HP and Defense EVs allow Mudsdale to switch into Choice Band Aggron's Head Smash twice and still be able to use Rest on a third. The rest is put into Special Defense to help against foes like Alolan Raichu, non-Choice Specs Lanturn, and Gastrodon. Leftovers helps Mudsdale gain some passive recovery, though Rocky Helmet is also an option to further punish physical attackers hitting Mudsdale. Stamina is the ability of choice, as it allows Mudsdale to switch into weaker physical attacks and raise its Defense.

Usage Tips
========

RestTalk Mudsdale should be used as a switch-in to physical threats such as Aggron and Kangaskhan, as its Stamina ability makes it very difficult to take down while Rocky Helmet can chip away at them. It also acts as a decent VoltTurn check with its immunity to Electric moves. This set struggles against Taunt users, especially those immune to Earthquake like Weezing and Oricorio-G, unless it has Rock Slide over Toxic. Having Rest means that Mudsdale can switch into other status moves like Will-O-Wisp and Toxic for its teammates and have little to worry about, as it can just use Rest to heal later.

Team Options
========

Flying-types partner well with Mudsdale, as they can help it handle Grass-types, while Mudsdale checks Rock- and Electric-types. Oricorio-E and Eelektross are notable partners, as they can handle both Grass- and Water-types. Freeze-Dry Aurorus helps with both Water- and Grass-types, as well as having the ability to switch into Ice-type attacks. A grounded Poison-type or entry hazard remover like Skuntank or Lurantis is also appreciated to keep Toxic Spikes off the field and keep Mudsdale from getting worn down by poison; even though it does have Rest, coming in on anything when less than full HP can make its job of checking things much harder. As a check to physical Pokemon, Mudsdale also appreciates a partner that can take special hits well. Cradily and Assault Vest Magmortar are solid options. RestTalk sets generally prefer to be on bulkier teams like balance and stall as a check to physical attackers. Heal Bell users also work well with Mudsdale to get rid of its sleep condition early if needed.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

An Assault Vest set can be run with a similar spread to the Choice Band set as a bulkier option; however, the power difference is noticeable. Mudsdale's low speed warrants a mention for its use on a dedicated Trick Room team, though it requires support to break through certain walls and is outclassed by Marowak. Roar can be used to phaze targets, and Stealth Rock can be used over Toxic on either of the sets if entry hazards are needed. Facade can be used on the Choice Band set to do more damage in the event that Mudsdale is burned by Weezing.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Water- and Grass-types**: Pokemon like offensive Lanturn, Lilligant, Abomasnow, and Ludicolo all can do massive damage to Mudsdale before it can attack, though none like switching into moves from the Choice Band set. Defensively, Gourgeist-XL and Torterra wall the Choice Band set and can either cripple Mudsdale with Will-O-Wisp or do heavy damage with Wood Hammer, respectively.

**Weezing**: The best move Mudsdale has to hit Weezing with is Heavy Slam, and that doesn't even 2HKO it. Weezing can also easily outspeed Mudsdale and burn it with Will-O-Wisp.

**Ice-types**: Strong Ice-types like Jynx, Rotom-F, and Abomasnow are able to threaten Mudsdale with their STAB moves, but only Rotom-F is able to switch into the Choice Band set if Mudsdale locks itself into Earthquake or Heavy Slam.

**Strong Special Attackers**: Because Stamina only affects Defense, special attackers in general can easily wear Mudsdale down.

Last edited by a moderator:

Deleted User 400951

Banned deucer.
Not QC, just some suggestions:
I'd mention how being locked into Toxic is exploitable in CB's Moves.
Usage Tips for both sets are pretty empty. I'd add how it should stay away from any mon known to carry Ice, Grass or Water coverage.
C&C is also pretty empty. Perhaps mention Ice-types.

yogi

I did not succumb...
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hey not a qc but:
  • I'd mention ice types 100% in checks and counters, as mons like jynx and aboma can easily force it out.
  • I'd slash rocky helmet on the defensive set as it allows it to get chip damage on physical attackers.
  • I'd also mention that the rest talk set struggles vs taunt users.

SergioRules

||blimp||
Not QC, just some suggestions:
I'd mention how being locked into Toxic is exploitable in CB's Moves.
Usage Tips for both sets are pretty empty. I'd add how it should stay away from any mon known to carry Ice, Grass or Water coverage.
C&C is also pretty empty. Perhaps mention Ice-types.
Hey not a qc but:
  • I'd mention ice types 100% in checks and counters, as mons like jynx and aboma can easily force it out.
  • I'd slash rocky helmet on the defensive set as it allows it to get chip damage on physical attackers.
  • I'd also mention that the rest talk set struggles vs taunt users.
Changed all of these issues, thanks for the help fam

TJ

Banned deucer.
is the Smogon Tour Season 34 Championis a Past SPL Championis a Two-Time Past SCL Champion
Not QC but here are some suggestions I hope help.
  • "Mudsdale also has no recovery outside of Rest meaning that despite its good bulk and ability, it can get worn down easily." I think you should add that Mudsdale is prone to be worn down by repeated attacks if it isnt using the rest talk set and by status, also entry hazards
  • "move 4: Toxic / Close Combat" I think Close Combat is needed always when using Choice Band, so maybe slash toxic next to Rock Slide imo
  • "Rock Slide is used to hit other Flying types." Gives examples
  • "Close Combat offers a better way to hit Levitating Pokemon that resist Heavy Slam namely Eelektross and Rotom-Frost." And Bronzor
  • In set details, I would mention Stamina as well as the reason for Adamant nature
  • "It functions as a stop to Volt Switch with its Ground typing." But has to be wary of Hidden Power Ice or Grass from Eletric-types that predict correctly
  • "Mudsdale should not be kept in on Pokemon that have super effective moves against it, especially Scald as the burn chance is very risky." I think thats rather obvious
  • "Like most offensive Pokemon, Mudsdale appreciates hazard support to help wear down its checks." List some examples
  • "The best kind of partners for Mudsdale in general are faster Pokemon that appreciate having defensive walls broken through. Ninjask, Floatzel, Raichu-Alola, and Pyroar are all options for this." You could also mention setup sweepers that appreciate Mudsdale's Wall breaking
  • "Rest and Sleep Talk are this set's main use allowing Mudsdale to have a better ability to stay around and tank hits." I think you mean moves?
  • "This set struggles against Taunt users, especially those immune to Earthquake." List examples
  • "A grounded Poison type or hazard remover like Skuntank or Lurantis is also appreciated to keep Toxic Spikes off the field and keep Mudsdale from getting worn down by poison, making its job of checking things much harder." I suppose, but you do have rest to deal with that
  • For checks and counters, maybe mention Taunt for Rest talk variants

SergioRules

||blimp||
Not QC but here are some suggestions I hope help.
  • "Mudsdale also has no recovery outside of Rest meaning that despite its good bulk and ability, it can get worn down easily." I think you should add that Mudsdale is prone to be worn down by repeated attacks if it isnt using the rest talk set and by status, also entry hazards
  • "move 4: Toxic / Close Combat" I think Close Combat is needed always when using Choice Band, so maybe slash toxic next to Rock Slide imo
  • "Rock Slide is used to hit other Flying types." Gives examples
  • "Close Combat offers a better way to hit Levitating Pokemon that resist Heavy Slam namely Eelektross and Rotom-Frost." And Bronzor
  • In set details, I would mention Stamina as well as the reason for Adamant nature
  • "It functions as a stop to Volt Switch with its Ground typing." But has to be wary of Hidden Power Ice or Grass from Eletric-types that predict correctly
  • "Mudsdale should not be kept in on Pokemon that have super effective moves against it, especially Scald as the burn chance is very risky." I think thats rather obvious
  • "Like most offensive Pokemon, Mudsdale appreciates hazard support to help wear down its checks." List some examples
  • "The best kind of partners for Mudsdale in general are faster Pokemon that appreciate having defensive walls broken through. Ninjask, Floatzel, Raichu-Alola, and Pyroar are all options for this." You could also mention setup sweepers that appreciate Mudsdale's Wall breaking
  • "Rest and Sleep Talk are this set's main use allowing Mudsdale to have a better ability to stay around and tank hits." I think you mean moves?
  • "This set struggles against Taunt users, especially those immune to Earthquake." List examples
  • "A grounded Poison type or hazard remover like Skuntank or Lurantis is also appreciated to keep Toxic Spikes off the field and keep Mudsdale from getting worn down by poison, making its job of checking things much harder." I suppose, but you do have rest to deal with that
  • For checks and counters, maybe mention Taunt for Rest talk variants
Fixed a lot of these except for the Toxic/Close Combat/Rock Slide issue
I originally preferred CC over Rock Slide too but in playing with it I found that Flying types that resist Heavy Slam (Charizard, Swanna, Oricorio-Pom Pom, and Rotom-Fan) were all more common than Bronzor at least on ladder. I understand why you'd want to hit it, but without Rock Slide you're walled by 4 mons in the tier instead of just the one.

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
[OVERVIEW]
  • With an Attack stat of 125, Mudsdale finds itself as one of the most powerful physical attackers in the tier.
  • Great stats in its bulk means that Mudsdale will very rarely go down in one hit.
  • Having a mono Ground typing means that Mudsdale gets a strong and spammable STAB Earthquake and allows it to be a stop to Volt Switch and other Electric type moves.
  • Stamina being Mudsdale's exclusive ability means that repeated physical attacks will do less damage over time as its Defense is raised.
  • Mudsdale suffers from a low speed of 35 meaning that it will likely take damage before it can use an attack.
  • With a Ground typing also comes weakness to common types such as Water, Grass, and Ice.
  • Mudsdale also has no recovery outside of Rest meaning that despite its good bulk and ability, it is prone to getting worn down by repeated attacks, status, and entry hazards.
this doesn't rly emphasize how mediocre it is as a wallbreaker, it's really not that strong unlike what the overview says, and all of its moves are annoying to be locked into

[SET]
move 4: Toxic / Close Combat tbh id switch these, cc is better imo

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
  • Mudsdale's high Attack and Ground typing means that it has one of the most powerful Earthquakes in the PU metagame that will do heavy damage to anything that isn't immune to it.
  • Heavy Slam is able to do a huge amount of damage to Pokemon that may feel safe switching into an Earthquake such as Togetic, Archeops, and Oricorio-Sensu.
  • Rock Slide is used to hit other Flying types such as Charizard, Rotom-Fan, and the Oricorio forms. idk why mention corio twice
  • Toxic can be used to punish things that would normally switch into Mudsdale and wear them down for later, though being locked into Toxic can be exploited by setup sweepers if they also carry Substitute. give specific examples of what u wanna toxic (i can think of torterra and nothing else lol, that's why i like CC more)
  • Close Combat offers a better way to hit Levitating Pokemon that resist Heavy Slam namely Eelektross, Rotom-Frost, and Bronzor. ur gonna rock slide rotom anyway tbh. cc is also better for phys def miltank
Set Details
========
  • Choice Band increases Mudsdale's Attack to allow it to become one of the most powerful physical attackers in the tier. again with one of the most powerful, it's not rly representative. muds has better attack than somth like charizard or passimian but it's still a worse breaker
  • The EV spread along with an Adamant nature maximizes Mudsdale's Attack stat and allows it to have enough Speed to beat the unboosted base 50 Speed tier with Pokemon like Aggron, Piloswine, and Muk. unboosted aggron aint a thing and muk barely is. audino, eelektross, regirock, and mawile are actually relevant examples
  • Stamina is Mudsdale's preferred ability as it allows it to take less damage from consecutive physical attacks by raising its Defense. u wanna say why it's good not literally say what it does. it's kinda tough here, but the way it's phrased is odd
Usage Tips
========

• Mudsdale is best used as an early game wallbreaker to do heavy damage to bulkier Pokemon so that the rest of its team can clean late game.
  • It functions as a stop to Volt Switch with its Ground typing though has to be cautious of super effective coverage that many Electric types carry.
  • Its Stamina ability can also be used to help it take on physical attackers fairly well. give an example, somth like kanga
  • If Mudsdale is used in the later portion of a game, it will want to come in on something fairly weak and just try to get off as much damage as possible.
  • Mudsdale should not be kept in on Pokemon that have super effective moves against it, especially Scald as the burn chance is very risky. "don't leave in on SE moves" is so basic u don't need to mention here

Team Options
========

• Like most offensive Pokemon, Mudsdale appreciates hazard support to help wear down its checks from the likes of Qwilfish, Weezing, and Piloswine.
  • Dedicated Water and Grass checks are also good partners to help take on those types of attacks aimed at Mudsdale.
  • Z-Sunny Day Charizard functions well with Mudsdale as Charizard can help check Grass types and break Water types with Fire Blast and Solar Beam respectively, and Mudsdale checks Rock and Electric types.
  • The best kind of partners for Mudsdale in general are faster Pokemon that appreciate having defensive walls broken through. Ninjask, Floatzel, Raichu-Alola, and Pyroar are all options for this.
  • Set up sweepers like Swords Dance Silvally, Turtonator, and Nasty Plot Raichu also appreciate Mudsdale's ability to break through walls.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
  • Rest and Sleep Talk are this set's main moves allowing Mudsdale to have a better ability to stay around and tank hits.
  • Earthquake is Mudsdale's strongest and most powerful STAB option.
  • Toxic is able to wear down checks that switch into Mudsdale.
  • Rock Slide can be used to hit Flying types that try to switch into Earthquake.
Set Details
========

• The given HP and Defense EVs allow Mudsdale to switch into Choice Band Aggron's Head Smash twice and take another to Rest on. take another rest on ?_?
  • The rest is put into Special Defense to help against foes like Alolan Raichu, non-Choice Specs Lanturn, and Gastrodon. p sure u lose to gastro anyway, maybe somth else
  • Leftovers help Mudsdale get some passive recovery.
  • Rocky Helmet is also an option on this set to further punish physical attackers hitting Mudsdale.

Usage Tips
========

• RestTalk Mudsdale should be used as a switch in to physical threats such as Aggron and Kangaskhan as its Stamina ability makes it very difficult to take down in these cases.
  • It also acts as a decent Volt-Turn check with its immunity to Electric and good physical bulk to take weaker U-turns.
  • Mudsdale should not be kept in against a Pokemon that has super effective coverage against it. again, obv and not useful
  • This set struggles against Taunt users, especially those immune to Earthquake like Oricorio and Weezing. i mean rock slide kinda donks corio
this is a little short but at the same time i cant rly think of anything else to say so yeah

Team Options
========

• Flying types partner well with Mudsdale as they can help it handle Grass types while Mudsdale checks Rock and Electric types.
  • Oricorio-Pom Pom, and Rotom-Fan are notable as they can also help handle Water types. Freeze Dry Articuno can help with both Water and Grass types, as well as be able to better switch into Ice type attacks.
  • A grounded Poison type or hazard remover like Skuntank or Lurantis is also appreciated to keep Toxic Spikes off the field and keep Mudsdale from getting worn down by poison, even though it does have Rest, coming in at anything less than full HP can make its job of checking things much harder.
spikes removers are also good to have, and spdef partners

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

• An Assault Vest set can be run with a similar spread to the Choice Band set for a bulkier option, however, the power difference is noticeable.
  • Mudsdale's low speed warrants a mention for its use on a dedicated Trick Room team, though it requires support to break through certain walls. nah, you'd rather just run marowak

Checks and Counters
===================

**Water and Grass types**: Any fast offensive Pokemon with a super effective move will be able to do a large amount of damage to Mudsdale before it can attack. this doesn't describe grass or water types specifically at all, for all I know the thing in the asterisks could be "super effective coverage". also u need to have specific examples of mons here

**Weezing**: The best move Mudsdale has to hit Weezing is Heavy Slam and that doesn't even 2HKO it. Weezing can also easily outspeed and burn Mudsdale with a Will-o-Wisp.

**Ice types**: Strong Ice types like Jynx, Rotom-Frost, and Abomasnow are able to threaten Mudsdale with their STAB move, but none are able to switch into the Choice Band set unless it's locked into Earthquake.

**Taunt users**: RestTalk sets are mostly shut down by Taunt and leave Mudsdale very exploitable for set up sweepers it can't hit with Earthquake. id honestly just get rid of this section, other than weezing no taunt users are that amazing vs u. things like alolan persian can be annoying, but not super detrimental as they all take a lot
qcstamp.gif
1/3

SergioRules

||blimp||
updated mentions of Charizard since it got banned
namely in the Moves section under Rock Slide and Team Options where I replaced it with AV mag and specs pyroar

yogi

I did not succumb...
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

[OVERVIEW]
  • With an Attack stat of 125, Mudsdale finds itself as one of the strongest physical attackers in the tier.
  • Great stats in its bulk means that Mudsdale will very rarely go down in one hit.
  • Having a mono Ground typing means that Mudsdale gets a strong and spammable STAB Earthquake and allows it to be a stop to Volt Switch and other Electric type moves. (just say being a ground-type, even if you were dual type you'd still have stab earthquake and would still block electric moves)
  • Stamina being Mudsdale's exclusive ability means that repeated physical attacks will do less damage over time as its Defense is raised.
  • Mudsdale suffers from a low speed of 35 meaning that it will likely take damage before it can use an attack.
  • With a Ground typing also comes weakness to common types such as Water, Grass, and Ice.
  • Mudsdale also has no recovery outside of Rest meaning that despite its good bulk and ability, it is prone to getting worn down by repeated attacks, status, and entry hazards.
  • With an overall shallow movepool, Mudsdale is also fairly predictable and is considered a mediocre wallbreaker despite its high Attack. (all of its moves can be easily abused is the issue)
[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
  • Mudsdale's high Attack and Ground typing means that it has one of the most powerful Earthquakes in the PU metagame that will do heavy damage to anything that isn't immune to it. (or resists it too, things like gourg take nothing from an earthquake)
  • Heavy Slam is able to do a huge amount of damage to Pokemon that may feel safe switching into an Earthquake such as Togetic and Archeops. (remove archeops and put it in the below section instead of rotom-fan; instead mention mesprit and/or weezing)
  • Rock Slide is used to hit other Flying types such as Rotom-Fan and the Oricorio forms. (see above)
  • Close Combat offers a better way to hit Levitating Pokemon that resist Heavy Slam namely Eelektross, and Bronzor as well as doing more to defensive Miltank.
  • Toxic can be used to punish things that could normally safely switch into Mudsdale like Torterra and Gourgeist-XL and wear them down for later, though being locked into Toxic can be exploited by setup sweepers if they also carry Substitute. (like?)
Set Details
========
  • Choice Band increases Mudsdale's Attack to allow it to become one of the most powerful physical attackers in the tier and a decent wallbreaker.
  • The EV spread along with an Adamant nature maximizes Mudsdale's Attack stat and allows it to have enough Speed to beat the unboosted base 50 Speed tier with Pokemon like Piloswine, Audino, Eelektross, Regirock, and Mawile
  • Stamina is Mudsdale's preferred ability allowing it to check weaker physical attackers by raising its Defense after consecutive hits. (by raising its defense one stage after being hit)
Is the HP for anything or is it just dumped?
Usage Tips
========

• Mudsdale is best used as an early game wallbreaker to do heavy damage to bulkier Pokemon so that the rest of its team can clean late game.
  • It functions as a stop to Volt Switch with its Ground typing though has to be cautious of super effective coverage that many Electric types carry.
  • Its Stamina ability can also be used to help it take on physical attackers like Kangaskhan and Archeops fairly well.
  • If Mudsdale is used in the later portion of a game, it will want to come in on something fairly weak and just try to get off as much damage as possible.
  • Should be wary of locking itself into moves if "x" is still present

Team Options
========

• Like most offensive Pokemon, Mudsdale appreciates hazard support to help wear down its checks from the likes of Qwilfish, Weezing, and Piloswine. (remove piloswine; mudsdale and it stack too much in my opinion and don't really help each other, so say mesprit)
  • Dedicated Water and Grass checks are also good partners to help take on those types of attacks aimed at Mudsdale. (like?)
  • Fire types like Assault Vest Magmortar and Choice Specs Pyroar function well with Mudsdale as they can help break Grass types with Fire Blast and check Water types with Thunderbolt and Hidden Power Grass respectively. Meanwhile, Mudsdale checks Rock and Ground type attacks aimed at them.
  • The best kind of partners for Mudsdale in general are faster Pokemon that appreciate having defensive walls broken through. Ninjask, Floatzel, Raichu-Alola, and Pyroar are all options for this. (you mean specially defensive walls right?)
  • Set up sweepers like Swords Dance Silvally, Turtonator, and Nasty Plot Raichu also appreciate Mudsdale's ability to break through walls. (eh i'd remove raichu, it's able to break through most walls itself, so mention something else) (also what walls?)
  • Hazard support, things like swanna and skunk help and swanna breaks checks like weezing while skunk breaks checks like mesprit

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
  • Rest and Sleep Talk are this set's main moves allowing Mudsdale to have a better ability to stay around and tank hits. (also helps it avoid status moves like toxic and not be worn down by hazards)
  • Earthquake is Mudsdale's strongest and most powerful STAB option.
  • Toxic is able to wear down checks that switch into Mudsdale. (give an example)
  • Rock Slide can be used to hit Flying types that try to switch into Earthquake. (example please)
Reorder this to coincide with the order that the set's in
Set Details
========

• The given HP and Defense EVs allow Mudsdale to switch into Choice Band Aggron's Head Smash twice and still be able to Rest on a third.
  • The rest is put into Special Defense to help against foes like Alolan Raichu, non-Choice Specs Lanturn, and Lumineon. (remove lumineon, it's not really relevant; change it to something else)
  • Leftovers help Mudsdale get some passive recovery.
  • Rocky Helmet is also an option on this set to further punish physical attackers hitting Mudsdale.
  • Mention stamina

Usage Tips
========

• RestTalk Mudsdale should be used as a switch in to physical threats such as Aggron and Kangaskhan as its Stamina ability makes it very difficult to take down in these cases. (rocky helmet can also help chip these)
  • It also acts as a decent Volt-Turn check with its immunity to Electric and good physical bulk to take weaker U-turns. (i'd remove the U-turn bit all together, it's being pivoted on anyways lol)
  • This set struggles against Taunt users, especially those immune to Earthquake like Weezing and Oricorio unless it has Rock Slide over Toxic.
I feel like this is pretty bare. I think you could expand a little and talk about rest-talk being able to absorb status and such

Team Options
========

• Flying types partner well with Mudsdale as they can help it handle Grass types while Mudsdale checks Rock and Electric types.
  • Oricorio-Pom Pom, and Rotom-Fan are notable as they can also help handle Water types. Freeze Dry Articuno can help with both Water and Grass types, as well as be able to better switch into Ice type attacks. (change rotom-fan to something else, it's not a relevant mon)
  • A grounded Poison type or hazard remover like Skuntank or Lurantis is also appreciated to keep Toxic Spikes off the field and keep Mudsdale from getting worn down by poison, even though it does have Rest, coming in at anything less than full HP can make its job of checking things much harder.
  • As a check to physical Pokemon, Mudsdale also appreciates a partner that can take special hits well. Guzzlord (rip guzzlord), Cradily, and Assault Vest Magmortar are all solid options.
  • Make it clear that this kind of set is usually exclusive to bulkier teams like balance or stall
  • Heal bell users

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

• An Assault Vest set can be run with a similar spread to the Choice Band set for a bulkier option, however, the power difference is noticeable.
  • Mudsdale's low speed warrants a mention for its use on a dedicated Trick Room team, though it requires support to break through certain walls and is outclassed by Marowak.
  • Roar could be used to phase out targets

Checks and Counters
===================

**Water and Grass types**: Pokemon like offensive Lanturn, Lilligant, Abomasnow, and Ludicolo all can do massive damage to Mudsdale before it can attack, though none like switching into moves from the Choice Band set. (you don't mention any defensive mons. gourg walls the band set for example)

**Weezing**: The best move Mudsdale has to hit Weezing is Heavy Slam and that doesn't even 2HKO it. Weezing can also easily outspeed and burn Mudsdale with a Will-o-Wisp. (weezing can also taunt the defensive set too)

**Ice types**: Strong Ice types like Jynx, Rotom-Frost, and Abomasnow are able to threaten Mudsdale with their STAB move, but none are able to switch into the Choice Band set unless it's locked into Earthquake.

**Strong Special Attackers**: Strong special attackers are able to break mudsdale quite easily
Looks good, neat job! QC 2/3

MZ

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
SergioRules if you've been following the USUM leaks, you might've seen that Mudsdale is gonna get Stealth Rock, which is almost certainly going to necessitate a new set and reworking the overview at minimum. For now we'd like you to halt progress on the analysis, as there wouldn't be much point in finishing and uploading right before USUM. If we need to add another set and change the overview (plus do any other assorted updates with the new USUM meta), you can do that and start again from 0/3 maybe a week or so after USUM drops when we've had time to see the new meta, but with the knowledge that most of the analysis is already pretty good. For now though, not much point in writing this up.

SergioRules

||blimp||
SergioRules if you've been following the USUM leaks, you might've seen that Mudsdale is gonna get Stealth Rock, which is almost certainly going to necessitate a new set and reworking the overview at minimum. For now we'd like you to halt progress on the analysis, as there wouldn't be much point in finishing and uploading right before USUM. If we need to add another set and change the overview (plus do any other assorted updates with the new USUM meta), you can do that and start again from 0/3 maybe a week or so after USUM drops when we've had time to see the new meta, but with the knowledge that most of the analysis is already pretty good. For now though, not much point in writing this up.
Understood, hopefully it shouldn't change its usage too much but we'll see how the meta shifts with all of the new tutors.

yogi

I did not succumb...
Hey bud! The QC team has talked about it and we've decided not to add another set for Mudsdale, so you may continue from QC 2/3. Please look over and remove any mentions of Piloswine and also add Stealth Rock to the Other Options section.

Tier shifts are happening soon so you may prefer to wait.

Thanks!

Last edited:

MZ

dont wait for tier shifts, just do this asap. also 1 week to finish this SergioRules, these have been going on for too long

TONE

I don't have to take this. I'm going for a walk.
is a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus

[OVERVIEW]
With an Attack stat of 125, Mudsdale finds itself as one of the strongest physical attackers in the tier. This, along with great stats in its bulk means that Mudsdale will very rarely go down in one hit and can fire back with a strong attack most of the time. Being a Ground-type means that Mudsdale gets a strong and spammable STAB Earthquake and allows it to be a stop to Volt Switch and other Electric type moves. Mudsdale also has the exclusive ability Stamina, which raises its Defense making it a decent check for many physical attackers. However, Mudsdale suffers from a low speed of 35 meaning that it will likely take damage before it can use an attack. With the excellent Ground typing also comes weakness to common types such as Water, Grass, and Ice. Mudsdale also has no recovery outside of Rest meaning that despite its good bulk and ability, it is prone to getting worn down by repeated attacks, status, and entry hazards. Finally, with an overall shallow movepool, Mudsdale is also fairly predictable and is considered a mediocre wallbreaker despite its high Attack as all of its moves can easily be abused.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Mudsdale's high Attack and Ground typing means that it has one of the most powerful Earthquakes in the PU metagame that will do heavy damage to anything that isn't immune to it or resists it. Heavy Slam is able to do a huge amount of damage to Pokemon that may feel safe switching into an Earthquake such as Togetic and Mesprit. Rock Slide is used to hit other Flying types such as Archeops and the Oricorio forms. Close Combat offers a better way to hit Levitating Pokemon that resist Heavy Slam namely Eelektross, and Bronzor as well as doing more to defensive Miltank. Toxic can be used to punish things that could normally safely switch into Mudsdale like Torterra and Gourgeist-Super and wear them down for later, though being locked into Toxic can be exploited by setup sweepers like Alolan Raichu and Oricorio-Sensu if they also carry Substitute.

Set Details
========

Choice Band increases Mudsdale's Attack to allow it to become one of the most powerful physical attackers in the tier and a decent wallbreaker. The EV spread along with an Adamant nature maximizes Mudsdale's Attack stat and allows it to have enough Speed to beat the unboosted base 50 Speed tier with Pokemon like Audino, Eelektross, and Regirock.The remaining EVs are dumped into HP to provide some extra bulk for weaker physical hits. Stamina is Mudsdale's preferred ability allowing it to check weaker physical attackers by raising its Defense after being hit.

Usage Tips
========

Mudsdale is best used as an early game wallbreaker to do heavy damage to bulkier Pokemon so that the rest of its team can clean late game. It functions as a stop to Volt Switch with its Ground typing though has to be cautious of super effective coverage that many Electric types carry. Its Stamina ability can also be used to help it take on physical attackers like Kangaskhan and Archeops fairly well. If Mudsdale is used in the later portion of a game, it will want to come in on something fairly weak and just try to get off as much damage as possible. It should be wary of locking itself into a move if a resist or an immunity to that move is still on the opposing team.

Team Options
========

Like most offensive Pokemon, Mudsdale appreciates hazard support from the likes of Mesprit, Qwilfish, and Weezing to help wear down its checks. Dedicated Water and Grass checks are also good partners to help take on those types of attacks aimed at Mudsdale. Powerful Fire types like Magmortar and Choice Specs Pyroar function well with Mudsdale as they can help break Grass types with Fire Blast and check Water types with Thunderbolt and Hidden Power Grass respectively. Meanwhile, Mudsdale checks Rock and Ground type attacks aimed at them. The best kind of partners for Mudsdale in general are faster Pokemon that appreciate having specially defensive walls broken through. Ninjask, Floatzel, Raichu-Alola, and Pyroar are all options for this. Set up sweepers like Swords Dance Silvally and Turtonator also appreciate Mudsdale's ability to break through their checks like Qwilfish and Lanturn respectively. Having hazard control can help Mudsdale survive longer. Swanna is an option as it also handles Weezing and Skuntank can be used to take care of Mesprit.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Earthquake is Mudsdale's strongest and most powerful STAB option and due to its high Attack, can still pack a punch if uninvested. Toxic is able to wear down checks that switch into Mudsdale like Mesprit and Flying-types. Rock Slide can be used to hit Flying-types that try to switch into Earthquake such as Archeops and Swanna and offers EdgeQuake coverage. Rest and Sleep Talk are this set's main moves allowing Mudsdale to have a better ability to stay around and tank hits along with avoiding status and hazard damage.

Set Details
========

The given HP and Defense EVs allow Mudsdale to switch into Choice Band Aggron's Head Smash twice and still be able to Rest on a third. The rest is put into Special Defense to help against foes like Alolan Raichu, non-Choice Specs Lanturn, and Gastrodon. Leftovers help Mudsdale get some passive recovery thoughRocky Helmet is also an option to further punish physical attackers hitting Mudsdale. Stamina is again the ability of choice as it allows Mudsdale to switch into weaker physical attacks and raise its Defense.

Usage Tips
========

RestTalk Mudsdale should be used as a switch in to physical threats such as Aggron and Kangaskhan as its Stamina ability makes it very difficult to take down in these cases while Rocky Helmet can chip away at them. It also acts as a decent Volt-Turn check with its immunity to Electric. This set struggles against Taunt users, especially those immune to Earthquake like Weezing and Oricorio unless it has Rock Slide over Toxic. Having Rest means that Mudsdale can switch into other status moves like Will-o-Wisp or Toxic for its teammates and have little to worry about as it can just Rest off the damage later.

Team Options
========

Flying types partner well with Mudsdale as they can help it handle Grass types while Mudsdale checks Rock and Electric types. Oricorio-Pom Pom and Eelektross are notable partners as they can handle both Grass- and Water-types. Freeze Dry Articuno Aurorus feels better here can help with both Water and Grass types, as well as be able to better switch into Ice type attacks. A grounded Poison type or hazard remover like Skuntank or Lurantis is also appreciated to keep Toxic Spikes off the field and keep Mudsdale from getting worn down by poison, even though it does have Rest, coming in at anything less than full HP can make its job of checking things much harder. As a check to physical Pokemon, Mudsdale also appreciates a partner that can take special hits well. Cradily, and Assault Vest Magmortar are all solid options. RestTalk sets generally prefer bulkier teams like balance or stall as a check to physical attackers. Heal Bell users also work well with Mudsdale to get rid of its sleep condition early if needed.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

An Assault Vest set can be run with a similar spread to the Choice Band set for a bulkier option, however, the power difference is noticeable. Mudsdale's low speed warrants a mention for its use on a dedicated Trick Room team, though it requires support to break through certain walls and is outclassed by Marowak. Roar can be used to phase out targets and Stealth Rock can be used over Toxic on either of the sets if hazards are needed. Facade can be used on the first set to at least hit Weezing harder in the event of being burned.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Water and Grass types**: Pokemon like offensive Lanturn, Lilligant, Abomasnow, and Ludicolo all can do massive damage to Mudsdale before it can attack, though none like switching into moves from the Choice Band set. Defensively, Gourgeist-Super and Torterra wall the Choice Band set and can either cripple Mudsdale with Will-o-Wisp or do heavy damage with Wood Hammer respectively.

**Weezing**: The best move Mudsdale has to hit Weezing is Heavy Slam and that doesn't even 2HKO it. Weezing can also easily outspeed and burn Mudsdale with a Will-o-Wisp.

**Ice types**: Strong Ice types like Jynx, Rotom-Frost, and Abomasnow are able to threaten Mudsdale with their STAB move, but none are able to switch into the Choice Band set unless it's locked into Earthquake. You might wanna rephrase the last part as you make it sound as though all your examples resist or is immune to EQ when that isn't the case.

**Strong special attackers**: Because Stamina only affects the Defense stat, special attackers in general can easily wear Mudsdale down.
3/3. Please remove all the Qwilfish mentions before sending this to GP.

Ivy

resident enigma
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributor
(ac) = add comma, (as) = add space, (ah) = add hyphen, bold = add/comment, strikethrough = remove
[OVERVIEW]
With an Attack stat of 125, Mudsdale finds itself as one of the strongest physical attackers in the tier. This, along with great stats in its bulk, (ac) means that Mudsdale will very rarely go down in one hit and can fire back with a strong attack most of the time. Being a Ground-type means that Mudsdale gets a strong and spammable STAB Earthquake and allows it to be a stop to Volt Switch and other Electric-type moves. Mudsdale also has the exclusive ability Stamina, which raises its Defense after being hit by a physical move(just clarify this once), (ac) making it a decent check for many physical attackers. However, Mudsdale suffers from a low Speed of 35, (ac) meaning that it will likely take damage before it can use an attack. With the excellent Ground typing also comes weakness to common types such as Water, Grass, and Ice. Mudsdale also has no recovery outside of Rest, (ac) meaning that despite its good bulk and ability, it is prone to getting worn down by repeated attacks, status, and entry hazards. Finally, with an overall shallow movepool, Mudsdale is also fairly predictable and is considered a mediocre wallbreaker despite its high Attack, (ac) as all of its moves can easily be played aroundabused.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Mudsdale's high Attack and Ground typing means that it has one of the most powerful Earthquakes in the PU metagame, which that will do heavy damage to anything that isn't immune to it or resists it. Heavy Slam is able to do a huge amount of damage to Pokemon that may feel safe switching into an Earthquake such as Togetic and Mesprit. Rock Slide is used to hit other Flying-types such as Archeops and the Oricorio formes. Close Combat offers a better way to hit Levitating Pokemon Levitate users that resist Heavy Slam namely Eelektross, (rc) and Bronzor as well as doing more to defensive Miltank. Toxic can be used to punish things that could normally safely switch into Mudsdale like Torterra and Gourgeist-Super and wear them down for later, though being locked into Toxic can be exploited by setup sweepers like Alolan Raichu and Oricorio-SensuG if they also carry Substitute.

Set Details
========

Choice Band increases Mudsdale's Attack to allow it to become one of the most powerful physical attackers in the tier and serve as a decent wallbreaker. The EV spread along with an Adamant nature maximizes Mudsdale's Attack stat and allows it to have enough Speed to beat the unboosted base 50 Speed tier with Pokemon like Audino, Eelektross, and Regirock. (as) The remaining EVs are dumped into HP to provide some extra bulk for weaker physical hits. Stamina is Mudsdale's preferred ability, (ac) allowing it to check weaker physical attackers by raising its Defense after being hit.

Usage Tips
========

Mudsdale is best used as an early game wallbreaker to do heavy damage to bulkier Pokemon so that the rest of its team can clean late-game(ah). It functions as a stop to Volt Switch with its Ground typing thoughbut has to be cautious of super effective coverage that many Electric-types carry. Its Stamina ability can also be used to help it take on physical attackers like Kangaskhan and Archeops fairly well. If Mudsdale is used in the later portion of a game, it will want to come in on something fairly weak and just try to get off as much damage as possible. It should be wary of locking itself into a move if a Pokemon with a resistance or an immunity to that move is still on the opposing team.

Team Options
========

Like most offensive Pokemon, Mudsdale appreciates hazard support from the likes of Mesprit, Ferroseed, and Weezing to help wear down its checks. Dedicated Water- and Grass-type checks are also good partners to help take on those attacks aimed at Mudsdale. Powerful Fire-types like Magmortar and Choice Specs Pyroar function well with Mudsdale, (ac) as they can help break Grass-types with Fire Blast and check Water-types with Thunderbolt and Hidden Power Grass. Meanwhile, Mudsdale checks Rock- and Ground-type attacks aimed at them. The best kind of partners for Mudsdale in general are faster Pokemon that appreciate having specially defensive walls broken through. Ninjask, Floatzel, Alolan Raichu-Alola, and Pyroar are all options for this. Setup(rs) sweepers like Swords Dance Silvally and Turtonator also appreciate Mudsdale's ability to break through their checks like Regirock and Lanturn respectively. Having hazard control can help Mudsdale survive longer. Swanna is an option for this, (ac) as it also handles Weezing, (ac) and Skuntank can be used to take care of Mesprit.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Earthquake is Mudsdale's strongest and most powerful STAB option and, (ac) due to itsMudsdale's high Attack, it can still pack a punch if uninvested. Toxic is able to wear down checks that switch into Mudsdale like Mesprit and Flying-types. Rock Slide can be used to hit Flying-types that try to switch into Earthquake such as Archeops and Swanna and offers EdgeQuake coverage. Rest and Sleep Talk are this set's main moves, (ac) allowing Mudsdale to have a better ability to stay around and tank hits along with avoiding status and hazard damage.

Set Details
========

The given HP and Defense EVs allow Mudsdale to switch into Choice Band Aggron's Head Smash twice and still be able to use Rest on a third. The rest is put into Special Defense to help against foes like Alolan Raichu, non-Choice Specs Lanturn, and Gastrodon. Leftovers helps Mudsdale get some passive recovery, (ac) though (as) Rocky Helmet is also an option to further punish physical attackers hitting Mudsdale. Stamina is again the ability of choice as it allows Mudsdale to switch into weaker physical attacks and raise its Defense.

Usage Tips
========

RestTalk Mudsdale should be used as a switch in to physical threats such as Aggron and Kangaskhan, (ac) as its Stamina ability makes it very difficult to take down in these cases while Rocky Helmet can chip away at them. It also acts as a decent VoltTurn (rh) check with its immunity to Electric moves. This set struggles against Taunt users, especially those immune to Earthquake like Weezing and Oricorio, (ac) unless it has Rock Slide over Toxic. Having Rest means that Mudsdale can switch into other status moves like Will-O-Wisp or Toxic for its teammates and have little to worry about, (ac) as it can just use Rest to heal off the damage later.

Team Options
========

Flying-types partner well with Mudsdale, (ac) as they can help it handle Grass-types while Mudsdale checks Rock- and Electric-types. Oricorio-Pom PomE and Eelektross are notable partners, (ac) as they can handle both Grass- and Water-types. Freeze Dry Aurorus helps with both Water- and Grass-types, as well as having the ability to switch into Ice-type attacks. A grounded Poison-type or hazard remover like Skuntank or Lurantis is also appreciated to keep Toxic Spikes off the field and keep Mudsdale from getting worn down by poison; (semicolon) even though it does have Rest, coming in at anything less than full HP can make its job of checking things much harder. As a check to physical Pokemon, Mudsdale also appreciates a partner that can take special hits well. Cradily, (remove comma, RIP qwilfish) and Assault Vest Magmortar are allboth solid options. RestTalk sets generally prefer (to be on?) bulkier teams like balance or stall as a check to physical attackers. Heal Bell users also work well with Mudsdale to get rid of its sleep condition early if needed.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

An Assault Vest set can be run with a similar spread to the Choice Band set foras a bulkier option; (semicolon) however, the power difference is noticeable. Mudsdale's low speed warrants a mention for its use on a dedicated Trick Room team, though it requires support to break through certain walls and is outclassed by Marowak. Roar can be used to phaze out targets and Stealth Rock can be used over Toxic on either of the sets if hazards are needed. Facade can be used on the Choice Band set to do more damage in the event that Mudsdale is burned by Weezing.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Water- and Grass-types**: Pokemon like offensive Lanturn, Lilligant, Abomasnow, and Ludicolo all can do massive damage to Mudsdale before it can attack, though none like switching into moves from the Choice Band set. Defensively, Gourgeist-SuperXL and Torterra wall the Choice Band set and can either cripple Mudsdale with Will-O-Wisp or do heavy damage with Wood Hammer respectively.

**Weezing**: The best move Mudsdale has to hit Weezing with is Heavy Slam, (ac) and that doesn't even 2HKO it. Weezing can also easily outspeed and burn Mudsdale with a Will-O-Wisp.

**Ice-types**: Strong Ice-types like Jynx, Rotom-Frost, and Abomasnow are able to threaten Mudsdale with their STAB moves, but none other than Rotom are able to switch into the Choice Band set except for Rotom if Mudsdale locks itself into Earthquake (is heavy slam also dangerous to these Ice-types?).

**Strong special attackers**: Because Stamina only affects the Defense stat, special attackers in general can easily wear Mudsdale down.

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader

remove add / fix (comments); (AC=add comma; RC=remove comma; SC=semicolon)
GP 1/2
[OVERVIEW]
With an Attack stat of 125, Mudsdale finds itself as one of the strongest physical attackers in the tier. This, along with great stats in its bulk, means that Mudsdale will very rarely go down in one hit and can fire back with a strong attack most of the time. Being a Ground-type means that Mudsdale gets a strong and spammable STAB Earthquake and allows it to be a stop to Volt Switch and other Electric-type moves. Mudsdale also has the exclusive ability Stamina, which raises its Defense after being hit by a physical move, making it a decent check for many physical attackers. However, Mudsdale suffers from a low Speed of 35, meaning that it will likely take damage before it can use an attack. With the excellent Ground typing also comes weakness come weaknesses to common types such as Water, Grass, and Ice. Mudsdale also has no recovery outside of Rest, meaning that despite its good bulk and ability, it is prone to getting worn down by repeated attacks, status, and entry hazards. Finally, with an overall shallow movepool, Mudsdale is also fairly predictable and is considered a mediocre wallbreaker despite its high Attack, as all of its moves can easily be played around.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Mudsdale's high Attack and Ground typing means mean that it has one of the most powerful Earthquakes in the PU metagame which that will do heavy damage to anything that isn't immune to it or resists it. Heavy Slam is able to do a huge amount of damage to Pokemon that may feel safe switching into an Earthquake such as Togetic and Mesprit. Rock Slide is used to hit other Flying-types such as Archeops and the Oricorio forms formes. Close Combat offers a better way to hit Levitate users that resist Heavy Slam, (AC) namely Eelektross and Bronzor, (AC) as well as doing more to defensive Miltank. Toxic can be used to punish things foes that could normally safely switch into Mudsdale like Torterra and Gourgeist-Super Gourgeist-XL and wear them down for later, though being locked into Toxic can be leave Mudsdale exploited by setup sweepers like Alolan Raichu and Oricorio-G if they also carry Substitute.

Set Details
========

Choice Band increases Mudsdale's Attack to allow it to become one of the most powerful physical attackers in the tier and serve as a decent wallbreaker. The EV spread along with an Adamant nature maximizes Mudsdale's Attack stat and allows it to have enough Speed to beat outspeed the unboosted base 50 Speed tier with Pokemon like Audino, Eelektross, and Regirock. The remaining EVs are dumped into HP to provide some extra bulk for weaker physical hits. Stamina is Mudsdale's preferred ability, allowing it to check weaker physical attackers by raising its Defense after being hit.

Usage Tips
========

Mudsdale is best used as an early-game (AH) wallbreaker to do heavy damage to bulkier Pokemon so that the rest of its team can clean late-game. It functions as a stop to Volt Switch with its Ground typing but has to be cautious of super effective coverage that many Electric-types carry. Its Stamina ability can also be used to help it take on physical attackers like Kangaskhan and Archeops fairly well. If Mudsdale is used in the later portion of a game, it will want to come in on something fairly weak and just try to get off as much damage as possible. It should be wary of locking itself into a move if a Pokemon with a resistance or an immunity to that move is still on the opposing team.

Team Options
========

Like most offensive Pokemon, Mudsdale appreciates entry hazard support from the likes of Mesprit, Ferroseed, and Weezing to help wear down its checks. Dedicated Water- and Grass-type checks are also good partners to help take on those attacks aimed at Mudsdale. Powerful Fire-types like Magmortar and Choice Specs Pyroar function well with Mudsdale, as they can help break Grass-types with Fire Blast and check Water-types with Thunderbolt and Hidden Power Grass. Meanwhile, Mudsdale checks Rock- and Ground-type attacks aimed at them. The best kind of partners for Mudsdale in general are faster Pokemon that appreciate having specially defensive walls broken through. Ninjask, Floatzel, Alolan Raichu, and Pyroar are all options for this. Setup sweepers like Swords Dance Silvally and Turtonator also appreciate Mudsdale's ability to break through their checks like Regirock and Lanturn, (AC) respectively. Having hazard control can help Mudsdale survive longer. Swanna is an option for this, as it also handles Weezing, and Skuntank can be used to take care of Mesprit.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Earthquake is Mudsdale's strongest and most powerful STAB option, (AC) and, due to Mudsdale's high Attack, it can still pack a punch if uninvested. Toxic is able to wear down checks that switch into Mudsdale like Mesprit and Flying-types. Rock Slide can be used to hit Flying-types that try to switch into Earthquake such as Archeops and Swanna and offers completes EdgeQuake coverage. Rest and Sleep Talk are this set's main moves, allowing increasing Mudsdale's to have a better ability to stay around and tank hits along with avoiding status and entry hazard damage.

Set Details
========

The given HP and Defense EVs allow Mudsdale to switch into Choice Band Aggron's Head Smash twice and still be able to use Rest on a third. The rest is put into Special Defense to help against foes like Alolan Raichu, non-Choice Specs Lanturn, and Gastrodon. Leftovers helps Mudsdale get some passive recovery, though Rocky Helmet is also an option to further punish physical attackers hitting Mudsdale. Stamina is again the ability of choice, (AC) as it allows Mudsdale to switch into weaker physical attacks and raise its Defense.

Usage Tips
========

RestTalk Mudsdale should be used as a switch-in (AH) to physical threats such as Aggron and Kangaskhan, as its Stamina ability makes it very difficult to take down in these cases while Rocky Helmet can chip away at them. It also acts as a decent VoltTurn check with its immunity to Electric moves. This set struggles against Taunt users, especially those immune to Earthquake like Weezing and Oricorio, (which one?) unless it has Rock Slide over Toxic. Having Rest means that Mudsdale can switch into other status moves like Will-O-Wisp or and Toxic for its teammates and have little to worry about, as it can just use Rest to heal later.

Team Options
========

Flying-types partner well with Mudsdale, as they can help it handle Grass-types while Mudsdale checks Rock- and Electric-types. Oricorio-E and Eelektross are notable partners, as they can handle both Grass- and Water-types. Freeze-Dry (AH) Aurorus helps with both Water- and Grass-types, as well as having the ability to switch into Ice-type attacks. A grounded Poison-type or entry hazard remover like Skuntank or Lurantis is also appreciated to keep Toxic Spikes off the field and keep Mudsdale from getting worn down by poison; even though it does have Rest, coming in at anything less than full HP can make its job of checking things much harder. As a check to physical Pokemon, Mudsdale also appreciates a partner that can take special hits well. Cradily and Assault Vest Magmortar are solid options. RestTalk sets generally prefer to be on bulkier teams like balance or stall as a check to physical attackers. Heal Bell users also work well with Mudsdale to get rid of its sleep condition early if needed.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

An Assault Vest set can be run with a similar spread to the Choice Band set as a bulkier option; however, the power difference is noticeable. Mudsdale's low speed warrants a mention for its use on a dedicated Trick Room team, though it requires support to break through certain walls and is outclassed by Marowak. Roar can be used to phaze out targets, (AC) and Stealth Rock can be used over Toxic on either of the sets if entry hazards are needed. Facade can be used on the Choice Band set to do more damage in the event that Mudsdale is burned by Weezing.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Water- and Grass-types**: Pokemon like offensive Lanturn, Lilligant, Abomasnow, and Ludicolo all can do massive damage to Mudsdale before it can attack, though none like switching into moves from the Choice Band set. Defensively, Gourgeist-XL and Torterra wall the Choice Band set and can either cripple Mudsdale with Will-O-Wisp or do heavy damage with Wood Hammer, (AC) respectively.

**Weezing**: The best move Mudsdale has to hit Weezing with is Heavy Slam, and that doesn't even 2HKO it. Weezing can also easily outspeed Mudsdale and burn Mudsdale it with a Will-O-Wisp.

**Ice-types**: Strong Ice-types like Jynx, Rotom-Frost, and Abomasnow are able to threaten Mudsdale with their STAB moves, but none other than Rotom-F are able to switch into the Choice Band set if Mudsdale locks itself into Earthquake or Heavy Slam.

**Strong Special Attackers**: Because Stamina only affects the Defense stat, special attackers in general can easily wear Mudsdale down.

Last edited:

Fireflame

Silksong when
is a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Remove Add Comments (AC)= add comma (RC)= remove comma (AH)= add hyphen (RH)= remove hyphen
[OVERVIEW]
With an Attack stat of 125, Mudsdale finds itself as one of the strongest physical attackers in the tier. This, along with great stat bulk, means that Mudsdale will very rarely go down in one hit and can fire back with a strong attack most of the time. Being a Ground-type means that Mudsdale gets a strong and spammable STAB Earthquake and allows it to be a stop to Volt Switch and other Electric-type moves. Mudsdale also has the exclusive ability Stamina, which raises its Defense after being hit by a physical move, making it a decent check for to many physical attackers. However, Mudsdale suffers from a low Speed of 35, meaning that it will likely take damage before it can use an attack. With the Its excellent Ground typing also comes with weaknesses to common types such as Water, Grass, and Ice. Mudsdale also has no recovery outside of Rest, meaning that despite its good bulk and ability, it is prone to getting worn down by repeated attacks, status, and entry hazards. Finally, with an overall shallow movepool, Mudsdale is also fairly predictable and is considered a mediocre wallbreaker despite its high Attack, as all of its moves can easily be played around.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Mudsdale's high Attack and Ground typing mean that it has one of the most powerful Earthquakes in the PU metagame that will do heavy damage to anything that isn't immune to or resists doesn't resist it. Heavy Slam is able to do a huge amount of damage to Pokemon that may feel safe switching into an Earthquake such as Togetic and Mesprit. Rock Slide is used to hit other Flying-types such as Archeops and the Oricorio formes. Close Combat offers a better way to hit Levitate users that resist Heavy Slam, namely Eelektross and Bronzor, as well as doing more to defensive Miltank. Toxic can be used to punish foes that could normally safely switch into Mudsdale like Torterra and Gourgeist-XL and wear them down for later, though being locked into Toxic can leave Mudsdale exploited by setup sweepers like Alolan Raichu and Oricorio-G if they also carry Substitute.

Set Details
========

Choice Band increases Mudsdale's Attack to allow it to become one of the most powerful physical attackers in the tier and serve as a decent wallbreaker. The EV spread along with an Adamant nature maximizes Mudsdale's Attack stat and allows it to outspeed the unboosted base 50 Speed tier with Pokemon like Audino, Eelektross, and Regirock. The remaining EVs are dumped into HP to provide some extra bulk for weaker physical hits. Stamina is Mudsdale's preferred ability, allowing it to check weaker physical attackers by raising its Defense after being hit.

Usage Tips
========

Mudsdale is best used as an early-game wallbreaker to do heavy damage to bulkier Pokemon so that the rest of its team can clean late-game. It functions as a stop to Volt Switch with its Ground typing but has to be cautious of super effective coverage that many Electric-types carry. Its Stamina ability can also be used to help it take on physical attackers like Kangaskhan and Archeops fairly well. If Mudsdale is used in the later portion of a game, it will want to come in on something fairly weak and just try to get off as much damage as possible. It should be wary of locking itself into a move if a Pokemon with a resistance or an immunity to that move is still on the opposing team.

Team Options
========

Like most offensive Pokemon, Mudsdale appreciates entry hazard support from the likes of Mesprit, Ferroseed, and Weezing to help wear down its checks. Dedicated Water- and Grass-type checks are also good partners to help take on those attacks aimed at Mudsdale. Powerful Fire-types like Magmortar and Choice Specs Pyroar function well with Mudsdale, as they can help break Grass-types with Fire Blast and check Water-types with Thunderbolt and Hidden Power Grass. Meanwhile, Mudsdale checks Rock- and Ground-type attacks aimed at them. The best kind of partners for Mudsdale in general are faster Pokemon that appreciate having specially defensive walls broken through. Ninjask, Floatzel, Alolan Raichu, and Pyroar are all options for this. Setup sweepers like Swords Dance Silvally ("Silvally" = Silvally-Normal. Say "Swords Dance Silvally formes" if you're talking about multiple types of Silvally) and Turtonator also appreciate Mudsdale's ability to break through their checks like Regirock and Lanturn, respectively. Having hazard control can help Mudsdale survive longer. Swanna is an option for this, as it also handles Weezing, and Skuntank can be used to take care of Mesprit.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Earthquake is Mudsdale's strongest and most powerful STAB option, and,(RC) due to Mudsdale's high Attack, it can still pack a punch if uninvested. Toxic is able to wear down checks that switch into Mudsdale like Mesprit and Flying-types. Rock Slide can be used to hit Flying-types that try to switch into Earthquake such as Archeops and Swanna and completes EdgeQuake coverage. Rest and Sleep Talk are this set's main moves, increasing Mudsdale's better ability to stay around and tank hits in combination with Stamina along with avoiding status and entry hazard damage.

Set Details
========

The given HP and Defense EVs allow Mudsdale to switch into Choice Band Aggron's Head Smash twice and still be able to use Rest on a third. The rest is put into Special Defense to help against foes like Alolan Raichu, non-Choice Specs Lanturn, and Gastrodon. Leftovers helps Mudsdale get gain some passive recovery, though Rocky Helmet is also an option to further punish physical attackers hitting Mudsdale. Stamina is the ability of choice, as it allows Mudsdale to switch into weaker physical attacks and raise its Defense.

Usage Tips
========

RestTalk Mudsdale should be used as a switch-in to physical threats such as Aggron and Kangaskhan, as its Stamina ability makes it very difficult to take down in these cases while Rocky Helmet can chip away at them. It also acts as a decent VoltTurn check with its immunity to Electric moves. This set struggles against Taunt users, especially those immune to Earthquake like Weezing and Oricorio-G, unless it has Rock Slide over Toxic. Having Rest means that Mudsdale can switch into other status moves like Will-O-Wisp and Toxic for its teammates and have little to worry about, as it can just use Rest to heal later.

Team Options
========

Flying-types partner well with Mudsdale, as they can help it handle Grass-types,(AC) while Mudsdale checks Rock- and Electric-types. Oricorio-E and Eelektross are notable partners, as they can handle both Grass- and Water-types. Freeze-Dry Aurorus helps with both Water- and Grass-types, as well as having the ability to switch into Ice-type attacks. A grounded Poison-type or entry hazard remover like Skuntank or Lurantis is also appreciated to keep Toxic Spikes off the field and keep Mudsdale from getting worn down by poison; even though it does have Rest, coming in at on anything when less than full HP can make its job of checking things much harder. As a check to physical Pokemon, Mudsdale also appreciates a partner that can take special hits well. Cradily and Assault Vest Magmortar are solid options. RestTalk sets generally prefer to be on bulkier teams like balance or and stall as a check to physical attackers. Heal Bell users also work well with Mudsdale to get rid of its sleep condition early if needed.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

An Assault Vest set can be run with a similar spread to the Choice Band set as a bulkier option; however, the power difference is noticeable. Mudsdale's low Speed warrants a mention for its use on a dedicated Trick Room team, though it requires support to break through certain walls and is outclassed by Marowak. Roar can be used to phaze targets, and Stealth Rock can be used over Toxic on either of the sets if entry hazards are needed. Facade can be used on the Choice Band set to do more damage in the event that Mudsdale is burned by Weezing.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Water- and Grass-types**: Pokemon like offensive Lanturn, Lilligant, Abomasnow, and Ludicolo all can do massive damage to Mudsdale before it can attack, though none like switching into moves from the Choice Band set. Defensively, Gourgeist-XL and Torterra wall the Choice Band set and can either cripple Mudsdale with Will-O-Wisp or do heavy damage with Wood Hammer, respectively.

**Weezing**: The best move Mudsdale has to hit Weezing with is Heavy Slam, and that doesn't even 2HKO it. Weezing can also easily outspeed Mudsdale and burn it with a Will-O-Wisp.

**Ice-types**: Strong Ice-types like Jynx, Rotom-F, and Abomasnow are able to threaten Mudsdale with their STAB moves, but none other than onlyRotom-F are is able to switch into the Choice Band set if Mudsdale locks itself into Earthquake or Heavy Slam.

**Strong Special Attackers**: Because Stamina only affects the Defense stat, special attackers in general can easily wear Mudsdale down.
GP 2/2

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)