Metagame Multibility

These might be outclassed by other things, but in a vacuum they look awesome, and are good examples of pokemon that make use of the "Two Complimentary Abilities" feature, rather than just being nerfed AAA mons that would prefer an item over a second ability.

:ss/Araquanid:
Araquanid @ Swift Swim
Ability: Water Bubble
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Liquidation
- Leech Life
- Crunch
- Sticky Web/Mirror Coat
Water Bubble is restricted, not banned, meaning its native abuser can go to town with Swift Swim. Of course this will need weather support and will thus have to compete with the self-setting Swift Swimmers and with opposing perma-weather, but when it works it will destroy souls.

:ss/Pangoro:
Pangoro @ Triage
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off
- Gunk Shot
- Swords Dance
A Triage Drain Punch that can hit Ghosts is a really cool tech that is practically unique to this meta (it does occasionally see use in Shared Power). Pangoro could also use Iron Fist to boost the power of its Drain Punch, but not having to worry about Ghosts is almost certainly better.

:ss/Durant:
Durant @ No Guard
Ability: Hustle
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- First Impression
- Iron Head
- Stone Edge
- Superpower
A returning player from Shared Power, Durant is a better standalone user of Hustle-No Guard than many of the other options thanks to its good speed, powerful priority, and high base power coverage. Will still complete with Dracozolt though (who is slower but has better coverage, more powerful STAB, and also has the option to run weather sets).

:ss/Weezing-Galar:
Weezing-Galar @ Regenerator/Prankster
Ability: Neutralizing Gas
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Strange Steam
- Taunt
- Toxic Spikes
- Haze
Weezing-G was amazing in Pokebilities, and here it can return with its biggest weakness (no reliable healing) patched by Regenerator. It certainly will miss the opportunities granted by the Levitate-NGas combo however, and it is notable that the menace it was best at countering (Guts+Iron Fist+Sheer Force Conkeldurr) will be absent here due to being unable to hold Flame Orb. Still, NGas is sure to find its uses. If you're able to provide Wish support, Prankster Weezing-G will be even more annoying.

:ss/Toxapex:
Toxapex @ Corrosion
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Impish Nature
- Toxic
- Haze
- Knock Off
- Recover
Corrosion will surely show up somewhere in this meta, and the Infamous Toxapex may be one of the best users. I'm very curious about Slowing-Galar as well.

:ss/Toxtricity:
Toxtricity @ Refrigerate/Galvanize
Ability: Punk Rock
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Boomburst
- Sludge Bomb
- Overdrive/Nuzzle/Substitute/Encore
- Shift Gear
Self-explanatory. Refrigerate gives you mega Bolt Beam. Galvanize makes you death incarnate but helpless against Ground types.

these sets are mostly gimmicks

Wishiwashi @ Regenerator
Ability: Schooling
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
- U-turn
- Scald
- Earthquake
- Toxic

I just felt like sharing an idea, hopefully this gives Wishiwashi some more viability as it can stay in its school form longer with Regenerator. It could run defensive sets and work as a slow pivot, but unfortunately this school of fish would get outclassed by other Regenerator water types like Slowbro and Toxapex :(

Cherrim @ Desolate Land
Ability: Flower Gift
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Weather Ball
- Solar Blade
- Synthesis
- Play Rough

I also worked up this set! Cherrim will probably go unused but it could be cool with a free attack and special defense buff on entry, it could run a mixed set like this using Weather Ball as fire coverage and Play Rough to hit dragon types, as well as really powerful Solar Blade. There's the option of switching Weather Ball for Swords Dance too.

Slowking-Galar @ Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Eerie Spell
- Filler
- Substitute
- Slack Off

Last but not least the King of Power Points himself, Glowking! This combination is inspired! Eerie spell and pressure sounds like a combination that's hilarious to use, it really keeps your opponent on their toes, keeps them under pressure if you will. It would be cool to build a team complete with pokemon that can also abuse Pressure, like Kyurem or Corviknight.

Morpeko @ Download
Ability: Hunger Switch
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Aura Wheel
- Power Trip
- Thunderbolt
- Nasty Plot

Another fun set I thought would be cool showing, just letting morpeko shine with Power Trip sounds nice, obviously with a mixed offensive set to encourage running Download some more.. So now it has 2 physical dark stabs and 2 Electric stabs, one being physical and the other special. coverage is lacking but to be fair, it's Morpeko.

Eiscue @ Snow Warning
Ability: Ice Face
Impish Nature
- Aurora Veil
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Avalanche

Adding more sets! Eiscue's ability Ice face is restored after hail, which could probably make it pretty tough to deal with if it can also have Hail set on entry by itself. Rest/Talk is for longevity with the lack of berries, boots, or leftovers, Aurora Veil to dampen the effects of special hits and Avalanche because of its low speed.

Gengar @ Bad Dreams
Ability: Cursed Body
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Hypnosis
- Hex
- Encore

I'd prefer Amoongus or Shiinotic just for their ability to remain healthy but gengar's speed may be sufficient enough for Hypnosis low accuracy, you can force switches with Encore and set up a Sub or put something to sleep immediately, in which then Gengar can get free chip damage off using Hex or Bad Dreams.

Salazzle (F) @ Merciless
Ability: Corrosion
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Toxic
- Protect
- Venoshock
- Fire Blast

:)

Last edited:
I think I found a counter for Skill Link abusers.

Mudsdale @ Unaware
Ability: Stamina
Impish Nature
- Body Press
- Earthquake
- Smack Down
- Stealth Rock

-OR-

Clefable @ stamina
Ability: Unaware
Bold Nature
- Stored Power
- Moonblast
- Calm Mind
- Soft-Boiled

This thing gets a defense boost, and ignores the opponent's stat boosts (Talking to you cloyster) It manages to survive and it can manage to do more damage in return. I honestly prefer Clefable because of stored power + calm mind.

Isaiah

Here today, gone tomorrow
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
UM/OM Leader
:ss/Clefable:

Clefable @ magicguard
Ability: Unaware
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled
- X
- X

This mon is insane. In building/testing, it shined the most on BO and Balance, but you can also make a place for it on stall as well. Magic Guard and Unaware are already probably two of the strongest abilities in Pokemon overall, so being able to run them on the same mon is pretty crazy. For context, this means that Clefable can consistently beat the vast majority of non-moldy setup sweepers because hazards don't stop it, boosting to +6 won't kill it, and barring sleep or paralysis status just adds a pretty color next to its name. I highly recommend building some teams with Clefable if you haven't already :P

alephgalactus

Banned deucer.
All right, I’ve noticed something that might be A Problem over the coming week or so before it gets resolved. Desolate Land and Primordial Sea are not banned or restricted. Drizzle and Drought are also not banned or restricted. Even with the 2 Ability Clause, a rain team can have two Drizzle mons and two Primordial Sea mons. I don’t know about anyone else, but to me this seems excessive, even after the Swift Swim ban that’s coming within the next two weeks.

Jrdn

Not a promise, I'm just gonna call it.
Desolate Land and Primsea tend to actually work counter to their multi-turn weather setting brethren because it kills the weather upon switchout, leaving nothing for their dedicated sweepers to sweep with. That being said I have no clue about how strong weather is in this meta and it could still very well be too strong

diegoyuhhi

our shared past and our lost future
is a Pre-Contributor
GRASS-POISON INVASION!!!

Gloom @ serene grace
Ability: Stench
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Bullet Seed
- Stun Spore
- Leech Seed
- Strength Sap

don't mind this just a bad meme set

Amoonguss @ bad dreams
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Spore
- Giga Drain
- Clear Smog
- Synthesis

why does amoonguss have such a bad moveset
just an irritating mon, nothing more

Roserade @ regenerator
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Sleep Powder
- Leech Seed
- Spikes

reliable hazard setter with easy recovery & irritating mon in general

Tapu Bulu @ grass pelt
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Toxic
- Leech Seed
- Substitute
- Horn Leech

actually not a grass-poison
moveset could be upgraded, but the idea is really cool

First of all, congrats on getting OM of the Month for October.

Second, I was wondering if anyone was considering unbanning :Zamazenta-crowned:? Considering that Zamazenta Crowned requires an item, it’s at a pretty big disadvantage given that every Pokemon can have 2 abilities at the cost of their item. I don’t think it’d have the same impact against Offense like it did in regular OU when Offensive teams are more capable of breaking past its defenses and have better fall back options.

Third, I was checking if abilities exclusive to cut Pokemon like Galvanize were ok to use, and it does say it’s valid, but I want to make sure this isn’t an early metagame error where the bans haven’t been implemented in.

Isaiah

is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
UM/OM Leader
Second, I was wondering if anyone was considering unbanning :Zamazenta-crowned:? Considering that Zamazenta Crowned requires an item, it’s at a pretty big disadvantage given that every Pokemon can have 2 abilities at the cost of their item. I don’t think it’d have the same impact against Offense like it did in regular OU when Offensive teams are more capable of breaking past its defenses and have better fall back options.
This is an interesting point and I honestly didn't consider it before reading your post. My opinion (as a player and speaking for the council for anything) is that zamac would probably be fine if freed on its own, particularly because as you mentioned its only notable ability would be dshield. That being said, considering that we haven't gotten much of a chance to play/stabilize the meta yet, consideration of things like unbans will probably have to wait until the ladder has existed for more than just a few hours.

Third, I was checking if abilities exclusive to cut Pokemon like Galvanize were ok to use, and it does say it’s valid, but I want to make sure this isn’t an early metagame error where the bans haven’t been implemented in.
They're valid to use, yeah. It's no mistake, so go ahead and build with them :]

Isaiah

UM/OM Leader
no second ability work at all on me or every opponent
Yeah, so right now the format is bugged on the main PS! server. The issue is currently being looked into and Multibility will work properly as soon as the updates are hotpatched. Sorry about the inconvenience!

oh fuck the prim sea/deso land + swift swim/chlorophyll combinations arent banned. i would probably suggest doing so since it gives a free +2 speed boost for basically no downside and is uncounterable outside of like. niche scenarios

hayedenn

forgotten me already?
is a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Gonna post two sets I've used so far in tests that I like / think are good

:ss/mew:
Mew @ dauntlessshield
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Future Sight
- Volt Switch
- Ice Beam / Spikes
- Roost
This set's main purpose is as a glue mon on offense / BO that can set hazards, pivot, click Future Sight, and heal all in one. Due to the decreased powerlevel of Multibility, you can effectively check a lot of the primary physical wallbreakers of the tier such as Victini, Zeraora, and Barraskewda incredibly effectively. Volt Switch gives Mew the ability to gain momentum for your team, which in conjunction with Future Sight lets you effectively pressure your opponent. Spikes is there so Mew can also set hazards if you'd like, while Ice Beam helps against stuff like Landorus-T and Zapdos.

252 Atk Adaptability Victini V-create vs. +1 252 HP / 252+ Def Mew: 158-186 (39.1 - 46%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ Atk Barraskewda Liquidation vs. +1 252 HP / 252+ Def Mew in Heavy Rain: 108-127 (26.7 - 31.4%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
252 Atk Zeraora Plasma Fists vs. +1 252 HP / 252+ Def Mew: 72-85 (17.8 - 21%) -- possible 5HKO
252 Atk Landorus-Therian Earthquake vs. +1 252 HP / 252+ Def Mew: 85-102 (21 - 25.2%) -- 0% chance to 4HKO

:ss/urshifu-rapid-strike:
Urshifu-Rapid-Strike @ toughclaws / adaptability*
Ability: Unseen Fist
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant / Jolly Nature
- Surging Strikes
- Thunder Punch / Aqua Jet
- U-turn
- Close Combat

Tough Claws Urshifu-RS is an incredibly threatening wallbreaker in the tier right now, tearing through teams that lack a Volt Absorb Toxapex. Surging Strikes is great, helping Urshifu beat common Dauntless Shield mons like Mew while also threatening every non-resisted physical wall such Clefable, Skarmory, and Corviknight while still being able to pressure switch-ins such as Slowbro/Toxapex with either U-Turn or Future Sight support. Adaptability could be used here over Tough Claws, but I like the boost it gives to stuff like U-Turn, letting you pressure with more than just your STAB moves. I've been pairing this set a lot with the above Mew, as stuff like Spikes & Future Sight really benefit Urshifu and help it break much more easily than it would otherwise. It also gives you a way to threaten Toxapex since it is often immune to TPunch.

*The more I think about it, you could probably go Adapt if you're going Aqua Jet > TPunch

252+ Atk Tough Claws Urshifu-Rapid-Strike Surging Strikes (3 hits) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory on a critical hit: 156-189 (46.7 - 56.5%) -- approx. 86.3% chance to 2HKO
252+ Atk Tough Claws Urshifu-Rapid-Strike Surging Strikes (3 hits) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable on a critical hit: 237-282 (60.1 - 71.5%) -- approx. 2HKO
252+ Atk Tough Claws Urshifu-Rapid-Strike Surging Strikes (3 hits) vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Corviknight on a critical hit: 192-228 (48.1 - 57.1%) -- approx. 96.1% chance to 2HKO
252+ Atk Tough Claws Urshifu-Rapid-Strike U-turn vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Slowbro: 148-176 (37.5 - 44.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ Atk Tough Claws Urshifu-Rapid-Strike Thunder Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Slowbro: 158-188 (40.1 - 47.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Here's the team I've been using these sets on. The team is far from perfect but honestly does anyone have great teams yet? idk (click on the sprites for paste)
:mew: :corviknight: :landorus-therian: :zeraora: :urshifu-rapid-strike: :scizor:
The idea behind this team is that hazard stack + FSight + good breakers allows you to win games. I haven't used it much outside of test games (s/o Think for shopping Flame Body Clefable after getting bopped by Urshifu like 4 times i hate u) but it's seemed fairly solid so far. cheers!

Last edited:

drampa's grandpa

cannonball
is a Community Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnus
WHAT'S IN STORE FOR THIS MONTH!
Obviously the council is still learning the metagame along with everyone else. However it has become apparent from early testing that stall is very very strong, and quite probably too strong.
What isn't immediately apparent is where the issue lies. We have discussed Regenerator briefly, but we will wait to see what the month and meta development bring. I personally have been testing some stallbreakers... some of which seem to be decent and some of which are awful.

Please let us know what your experiences are teaching you, with as much detail as possible!

Other things that are drawing our attention are:
Weather - There's a lot compressed into the weather category. We will definitely be keeping our eyes on it as a whole. Power, Speed, and Defensive utility are easily combined, and compared to standard support needed for these sets is very low. Pokemon such as Venusaur, Barraskewda, and Charizard are entirely self-contained and don't need either a weather setter or a team centered around said weather. Which is not to say that more standard weather teams don't work too.
Stench - This is just uncompetitive when combined with Serene Grace. It's not exactly good but it sure isn't a healthy presence in the metagame. I do not see this lasting very long.
Electrify - Another thing that's unhealthy through uncompetitiveness. Heliolisk and Boltund can both shut down any slower threat while boosting, leading to the game becoming a series of 50/50s. The reason I don't push for a quickban right now is the plethora of priority options and Regenerator mons.

Nothing is being banned right this instant.

Team builder support for this OM seems broken. When I put an ability on the item slot it gets cleared out.
This is an inconvenience of the metagame. What I typically do is click "Import / Export" then type in the ability into the appropriate place. I'm not sure if there is any other way currently
1) Click the highlighted button.
multibility q.jpg

2) Type the ability in right where the item usually goes, after the Pokemon's name. Make sure you precede it with "@".
multibility q2.jpg

Serious issues with how Primordial Sea works. During battles, it will stay active on Pokemon who don't have the ability.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8multibility-1427674250

Basically it means your team can have Primordial Sea passively until it is replaced by other weather. Super broken. Will test further with Desolate Land, but it looks like they're just broken.
These issues are currently being fixed. The code has been created and just needs to be hotpatched in.

ALSO: Corrosion is currently bugged. It will not work as a Multibility. This is in the same state of waiting to be patched in. Thank you for being patient with us as we get this meta up and running ^_^

This is an inconvenience of the metagame. What I typically do is click "Import / Export" then type in the ability into the appropriate place.
I've tried that and it doesn't work for me, at least on mobile. can't test on desktop browser atm. Some abilities are kept but for example triage, technician, volt absorb and steely spirit, are all cleared out wheter I export the individual pokemon, export the whole team or use the regular item slot.

Great concept but without teambuilder support it gets really hard to build. In general I'd like to have better team builder support for the OMs.

I'm really grateful for the amazing work you guys put in this for free, this is a game we all love and I really want to give props for that

Who wants the AAA menace's return?

Gengar @ Adaptability
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Bomb / Focus Blast
- Taunt

This is my stallbreaker. I dislike Focus Blast on this set, but steels do block it otherwise.

Gengar @ No Guard
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot / Hypnosis
- Hex / Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
- Zap Cannon

Have fun. You'll be the only one, lmao.

EDIT: Another one!

Clawitzer @ Psychic Surge
Ability: Mega Launcher
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Water Pulse / Surf
- Aura Sphere
- Dark Pulse
- Terrain Pulse

I don't remember which is stronger, Water Pulse or Surf on this. Terrain Pulse is something I tried in Inheritance and it's extra great (yeah, on specs Latios, tbh.) This is probably a meme-y set, judging from what I've seen on the ladder, but it's still something to have fun 2/3 times with.

Last edited:
WHAT'S IN STORE FOR THIS MONTH!
Obviously the council is still learning the metagame along with everyone else. However it has become apparent from early testing that stall is very very strong, and quite probably too strong.
What isn't immediately apparent is where the issue lies. We have discussed Regenerator briefly, but we will wait to see what the month and meta development bring. I personally have been testing some stallbreakers... some of which seem to be decent and some of which are awful.

Please let us know what your experiences are teaching you, with as much detail as possible!

Other things that are drawing our attention are:
Weather - There's a lot compressed into the weather category. We will definitely be keeping our eyes on it as a whole. Power, Speed, and Defensive utility are easily combined, and compared to standard support needed for these sets is very low. Pokemon such as Venusaur, Barraskewda, and Charizard are entirely self-contained and don't need either a weather setter or a team centered around said weather. Which is not to say that more standard weather teams don't work too.
Stench - This is just uncompetitive when combined with Serene Grace. It's not exactly good but it sure isn't a healthy presence in the metagame. I do not see this lasting very long.
Electrify - Another thing that's unhealthy through uncompetitiveness. Heliolisk and Boltund can both shut down any slower threat while boosting, leading to the game becoming a series of 50/50s. The reason I don't push for a quickban right now is the plethora of priority options and Regenerator mons.

Nothing is being banned right this instant.
My experiences are players mostly opting for a select few abilities, which are all great and include Regenerator & Magic Guard for Stall and the Perma Weathers on pokes having an ability to profit from it.
I wouldn't say anything ability-wise in itself being worth banning, but a tactical constraint on team building will likely have a positive influence on the diversity in abilities and playstyles.

One such ways is to rank abilities on power/usefulness, as is done by the OM Discord's Sableye Bot.
This bot has assigned scores to all the known abilities ranging from -1 (very, very bad) to 5 (stupidly broken).
SabBotTruant.PNG

SabBotFB.PNG

SabBotReg.PNG

There are a few ways to go about this:
1. Limit any ability surpassing a certain threshold, meaning you are allowed to have only ONE Regenerator mon, but multiple Defeatist mons.
2. Set up a limit on teambuilding, let's say 25. Meaning you can't surpass this limit.

Another option is a bit more farfetched and impractical, which includes assigning abilities to a playstyle and let people assemble a team containing a few of each of these playstyle-oriented abilities. This way neither Stall or HO will get to be TOO dedicated.

Example:
Offensive: Tough Claws, Adaptability, Swift Swim
Defensive: Regenerator, Natural Cure, Magic Bounce
Utility/misc.: Trace, Prankster, Primordial Sea

Definitely the greatest force atm. I personally didn't have a big problem with most of the Stall staples as an immunity to status and residual damage is easy to come by.
(In my optic!) Prankster Toxapex is by far the hardest mon to build against as it has an effective Unaware which isn't affected by Mold Breaker. It can also switch around without suffering an all too big penalty.

I will gladly provide some Pokemon to overcome a lot of the Stall staples later down the line.

Most of the Weather sweepers are dealt with by blanket checks such as Sap Sipper + Storm Drain Gastrodon. I would recommend Trace for anyone not wanting to waste a slot on a more bulky/passive mon.
EVERY weather abuser thus far uses their weather source in their item slot, meaning you'll benefit from their Swift Swim, Solar Power and what not via this ability and it let's an already fast mon function as revenge killer for these Pokemon. It isn't total deadweight against non-weather as you can play around Stall by switching into their Regenerator or Natural Cure mons, so definitely worth a consideration.

Utterly uncompetitive and I wouldn't mind seeing them go, even though I would have liked to see people using Stench in combination with Sheer Force for shits and giggles.

I'm loving the unconventional sets people come up with and can safely say I'm getting a bit Paranoid whenever I see a possible Flower Veil or Serene Grace contender. Keep coming up with the wacky sets guys!:blobthumbsup:

Last edited:
To answer Navelpluis: either this is another bug (but i'm not that sure), or Stench + Sheer Force does not work (with native SF learner. I did not try the other way around because the fastest user is Skuntank with 84 speed.) Maybe the native ability is checked first?
Also, I tried Gorilla Tactics Victini and it does not show an Atk change ingame. I'm not sure if it's a visual bug, a more "practical" bug, or if it's right.

Btw, I can see scarfers becoming REALLY useful in this meta. Relying on fast mons only to win is apparently the only thing that is happening. I use this, but just because I could not think about anything else. I'm not sure it's good, since it does not have a pivot move, but it's strong and can be quite fast. Shock for Blissey/special walls, Blast for steels, Thunderbolt for Corviknight.

Tapu Lele @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Psychic Surge
Timid Nature
- Moonblast
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast
- Thunderbolt

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)