SM OU MVenu Balance

Hi guys, this is my second RMT, and thanks in advance for reading!

:sm/venusaur-mega:
First off I wanted to try another attempt at building a team cored around MVenu, so this time without Giga Drain, I tweaked the smogon set just a tiny bit and put it here.
Venusaur @ Venusaurite
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 248 HP / 176 Def / 68 SpD / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Leech Seed
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Synthesis
I simply changed 252 HP to 248 to give it an odd number of HP, and dumped 4 extra EVs in def.
The said EVs allow MVenu to survive 2 Specs Dark Pulses from Greninja after SR, and allow it to outspeed Max speed MMawile.
248 HP gives it the maximum number of HP that's odd, and the rest is dumped in Def with Bold to make it as bulky as possible.
Leech Seed provides recovery for MVenu and teammates, and with right prediction, annoys the hell out of the opposing team. Sludge Bomb provides obvious STAB with a nifty 30% chance to poison. HP Fire hits steels that it gets walled by, with the exception of Heatran.
If you predict Heatran coming in, seed it and get the hell out even if you miss. You can't afford to be trapped.

:sm/garchomp:
Garchomp @ Rockium Z
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
I noticed Chomp got moved to A (or was it A+) tier in the viability rankings, so I decided to use it.
It provides a nifty fire resist, as well as a check to Tran(preferably revenge killing). It provides rocks, and it outspeeds base 100's and Rockium Z hits Lando-T(after SD cuz Intimidate), Cele, Skar, and everything else that is immune or resists Ground.

:sm/kartana:
Kartana @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Beast Boost
Shiny: Yes
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Sacred Sword
- Knock Off
- Defog
I apologize for not being able to find a better GIF, scarf kartana is my revenge killer, and it is an excellent late-game cleaner.
It's extremely hard to stop a rampaging Kartana after a boost if I manage to get it going early-game, but a wise opponent usually prevents that from happening.
Defog provides a secondary emergency defogger, Sacred Sword hits steels, Knock off provides utility, and Leaf Blade for obvious STAB.
This is my last resort to revenge kill Tran if my Gren and Chomp are gone.

:sm/tornadus-therian:
Tornadus-Therian @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- U-turn
- Knock Off
- Defog
Torn-T is my main Defogger, and provides handy utility. It gains momentum with U turn and utility with Knock Off. Rocky Helmet punishes physical attackers, and Hurricane gives obvious stab.
Timid is preferred over Hasty because 1) it maximises Rocky Helmet's usefulness and 2) the physical moves are purely utility anyways.

:sm/celesteela:
Celesteela @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 28 Def / 232 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Leech Seed
- Heavy Slam
- Flamethrower
- Protect
Celesteela is my special sponge.
Leftovers provides mandatory recovery, and 248 HP gives an odd number of HP.
28 Def allows it to avoid the OHKO from Jolly MCham High Jump Kick.
The rest is dumped into SpDef with a Sassy to maximize it's usefulness.
Leech Seed provides semi recovery and combined with Protect can be brutal. Heavy Slam with Celesteela's 999kg most of the time gives 100 BP or 120 BP.
Flame thrower hits over steels, hits grasses, and particularly Ferro(also used to hit MScizor).

:sm/greninja-ash:
Greninja-Ash @ Choice Specs
Ability: Battle Bond
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse
- Water Shuriken
- Spikes
This provides a water type, and a revenger killer to Tran(its not a safe switch in).
Specs provides neccessary power especially before transforming, Timid gives maximum speed, Hydro Pump for obvious STAB, Dark Pulse for STAB, and water shuriken for priority.
While I haven't been using Spikes a lot, I'm at a loss for any replacements, suggestions or should I keep it?
Can someone show me how to do that thing that hides stuff?

Venusaur @ Venusaurite
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 248 HP / 176 Def / 68 SpD / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Leech Seed
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Synthesis

Garchomp @ Rockium Z
Ability: Rough Skin
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

Kartana @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Sacred Sword
- Knock Off
- Defog

Tornadus-Therian @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- U-turn
- Knock Off
- Defog

Celesteela @ Leftovers
Sassy Nature
- Leech Seed
- Heavy Slam
- Flamethrower
- Protect

Greninja-Ash @ Choice Specs
Ability: Battle Bond
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse
- Water Shuriken
- Spikes

Diophantine

Banned deucer.
Hey, this seems like a pretty decent team.
The thing with the Venusaur EVs is that by going from 252 to 248, from a higher even to the lower odd, it means Synthesis heals 1 less HP, which could come in handy.

I also think that this team needs a Dark resist other than Greninja, else opposing Battle Bond Greninja has a very easy time clicking Dark Pulse with hazards up. Hoopa and freely clicks its STAB move. Perhaps we could go with Magearna over Celesteela, as it means still have a Tapu Lele and Alakazam answer, which is Celesteela's role on the team. It also helps out with opposing Magearna, which can prove a lot of trouble with the right set.
I would go with this set:
Magearna @ Leftovers
Ability: Soul-Heart
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 6 Spe
- Heart Swap
- Pain Split
- Volt Switch
- Flash Cannon

I also don't think that Kartana needs Defog when you already have that on Tornadus, and you enjoy stacking hazards yourself.

You could also go with Rotom-Wash instead of Tornadus. It gives you some counterplay against the rain matchup.
Rotom-Wash @ Wiki Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 Spe
Bold Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Thunder Wave
- Defog

Last edited:
Hey, this seems like a pretty decent team.
The thing with the Venusaur EVs is that by going from 252 to 248, from a higher even to the lower odd, it means Synthesis heals 1 less HP, which could come in handy.

I also think that this team needs a Dark resist other than Greninja, else opposing Battle Bond Greninja has a very easy time clicking Dark Pulse with hazards up. Hoopa and freely clicks its STAB move. Perhaps we could go with Magearna over Celesteela, as it means still have a Tapu Lele and Alakazam answer, which is Celesteela's role on the team. It also helps out with opposing Magearna, which can prove a lot of trouble with the right set.
I would go with this set:
Magearna @ Leftovers
Ability: Soul-Heart
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 6 Spe
- Heart Swap
- Pain Split
- Volt Switch
- Flash Cannon

I also don't think that Kartana needs Defog when you already have that on Tornadus, and you enjoy stacking hazards yourself.

You could also go with Rotom-Wash instead of Tornadus. It gives you some counterplay against the rain matchup.
Rotom-Wash @ Wiki Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 Spe
Bold Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Thunder Wave
- Defog
I mainly relied on Kartana to revenge kill Specs Gren, I implemented the Magearna set, but Rotom-W really doesn't do crap with no SpA investment, save Pelipper which Magearna can do. Beside Torn-T hurricane 100% acc is useful.
Would AV Mag give me more of an edge cause that's my go-to magearna set
Edit: However this will give me no reliable Chomp switch-in save Torn-T

Last edited:

PsyducksChili

Banned deucer.
double fog seems redundant, smart strike over fog. i’d also rather run a diff torn spread.

EVs: 184 HP / 120 Def / 204 Spe
Timid Nature

sounds better on this build, switches into more.

i’d run 252 hp, since a mon that gets reliable recover in leech and synth doesnt care minimized rocks damage

your teams needs a TON of fire resists, and chomp isnt good enough, and agren takes like 70 from heatran firium.

i’d run chansey over steela

double fog seems redundant, smart strike over fog. i’d also rather run a diff torn spread.

EVs: 184 HP / 120 Def / 204 Spe
Timid Nature

sounds better on this build, switches into more.

i’d run 252 hp, since a mon that gets reliable recover in leech and synth doesnt care minimized rocks damage

your teams needs a TON of fire resists, and chomp isnt good enough, and agren takes like 70 from heatran firium.

i’d run chansey over steela
but if i add a ton of fire resists than i don't need them lol
explains evs on torn thx
why chansey over steela
lele destroys it with psyshock

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)