My first ever Standard OU RMT

Hey guys I have been browsing the Smogon RMT forum and Stark Mountain forum because I have recently become interested in creating a team (or multiple teams) for competitive battling. This team would be used on Shoddy, but also it would be used for wi-fi battles which restricts some of the pokemon I can get. So without further ado here is how I built my first ever team. NOTE: Don't know how to use sprites sorry.

The Team Building Process

Because this was my first team ever I decided to go with the most standard combination in Scizor and Heatran. Unfortunately the Heatran I have has a mild nature so I figured I would use it as a choice scarf revenge killer and Scizor would be of the Swords Dance variation.

Next I added a Dragon Dance Gyarados because it resists all of Heatrans weaknesses and I love DD Gyarados.

Then I added a Mixpert because of its immunity to electric attacks and its ability to scout the opposing team.

Finally, since my team is mostly offensive I decided to add the deadly SkarmBliss wall combo and make the Mixpert my lead.

Edit: Changed my Mixpert lead to a Anti-Lead Starmie in order to get rid of my glaring MixApe weakness.

Edit: Changed my DDdos to a DDmence to address my electric weakness

Edit: Changed SD Scizor to a CB Scizor and brought back my Mixpert to be my physical wall instead of Skarmory

Now for The Team

Note: I have never done EV's before so im just gonna use Smogon's standard spreads.

The Anti-Lead

Starmie @ Focus Sash
Natural Cure
Timid Nature
252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 6 HP
-Hydro Pump
-Ice Beam
-Grass Knot
-Rapid Spin

As pointed out I have a big weakness to MixApe so I added an anti-lead Starmie. Great coverage and I like having a spinner to get those pesky rocks away.

The Special Wall

Blissey @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EV's: 252 Def / 80 SpA / 176 SpD
Calm Nature
-Toxic
-Wish
-Protect
-Flamethrower

There is no better special wall then miss Blissey right here. I love to toxic stall with wish and protect plus I can pass a wish to one of my other pokemon that need a quick health boost. However, I can't really decide between Tbolt, Flamethrower, and Ice Beam. A little help there?

The Physical Wall

Swampert @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EV's: 240 HP / 216 Def / 52 SpA
Relaxed Nature
-Stealth Rock
-Earthquake
-Ice Beam
-Roar

And the Mixpert is back. It was brought to my attention that skarmory was just too outdated so I brought Mixpert back to be my electric resist and stealth rocker.

The Physical Sweeper

Scizor @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
EV's: 4 SpD / 252 Atk / 252 Hp
Adamant Nature
-Pursuit
-Bullet Punch
-Brick Break
-U-turn

Once again pretty standard CB Scizor. I have Brick Break over Superpower because I dont have access to the Platinum tutor that gives you superpower and U-turn over X-Scissor because I like being able to switch out and do some damage. Scizor can deal a lot of damage, but at the same time he does a great job as a scout.

The Revenge Killer

Heatran @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Flash Fire
EV's: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Mild Nature
-Flamethrower
-Earth Power
-Explosion
-Dragon Pulse

This guy is perfect for my team. He is the ultimate revenge killer and whenever I feel a fire attack coming at scizor I switch to Heatran to suck it up. These moves have great coverage, but I wish I could change his IV's to get me HP Grass. But, this will have to do. Flamethrower over Fire Blast because I can't have my attacks missing and I still am not sure if I should keep explosion or not. Any suggestions?

The Dragon Dancer

Salamence @ Life Orb
Ability:Intimidate
EV's: 232 Atk / 24 SpA / 252 Spe
Adament Nature
-Dragon Dance
-Dragon Claw
-Earthquake
-Stone Edge

This used to be a DD Gyarados, but my team was a little too electric weak so I added this DDmence. Dragon Claw over outrage because I can't get outrage (Platinum tutor) and the rest is pretty self explanatory.

So there it is sorry if the descriptions aren't that great, but I'm new and I am looking for any help I can get. The one thing I noticed is a big weakness to bulky waters any suggestions for that? Thanks a lot in advance guys!

Blackhawk11

one on one
You appear to have a slight Special MixApe problem. The only way you can kill is is either by waiting until its LO has weakened it then come in and Bullet Punch it, or bring in Heatran and Earth Power. If it has Mach Punch > HP Ice, it's 'gg' 9 times out of 10. Starmie and Latias are great checks for just about every Infernape variant, resisting both of his STAB moves and barely threatened by his other options. You could add either in place of Gyarados, but then you won't really have a sweeper. Although Latias can function as a very effective CM Sweeper. They could also each replace Swampert, but then you won't have a lead. You can move Heatran to the lead spot, as it performs incredibly well in front. Also, Starmie makes a good anti-lead. So, I would recommend replacing either Swampert with Starmie or Gyarados with Latias (I stressed the either/or because you only need to make one of the changes). Here's each set:

Anti-Lead Starmie
Starmie @ Focus Sash
Natural Cure
Timid Nature
252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 6 HP
-Hydro Pump / Surf (H. Pump is prefered to score some KOs, but Surf can still OHKO Infernape)
-Ice Beam
-Grass Knot
-Rapid Spin

Strategy is pretty simple. Wipe out opposing leads as they SR, then Rapid Spin away the rocks as well as 1 HP left if the foe holds Focus Sash. If you go with Starmie > Swampert, you can unscarf Heatran (possibly giving it Shuca Berry) and giving it Stealth Rock > Dragon Pulse or, to a lesser extent, Explosion. Now Starmie can revenge kill Dragons if they haven't DDed, so you won't lose any coverage there.

CM Latias
Latias @ Leftovers
Levitate
Timid Nature
252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
-Dragon Pulse
-Surf
-Thunderbolt / Substitute
-Calm Mind

Strategy is rather simple again. Bring it in, force a switch, set up, and procede to own their whole team. The third spot really depends on whether you want to hit Empoleon or not. Without Tbolt, Empoleon does a pretty good job of walling this set, but without Ice Beam it really can't do anything to you either. Substitute does have its advantages, as you won't get hit by Sucker Punch, plus you will avoid status that could end your sweep.

BTW, you can find great pictures of Pokemon at http://www.arkeis.com/pokemonfactory.htm, just copy and paste them into your RMT. Good luck with the team!

Wow couldnt have said it better than Blackhawk, mixape has its way with this team. But you were wondering about Ice Beam/ Tbolt/ Flamethrower on Bliss. I believe the overall popular (and wise) choice is Flamethrower, seeing as Steel types are hit for super effective damage from it (bar heatran), and all pokemon except steel types and pokemon with immunity and magic guard, can be hit by toxic. Therefore it offers perfect coverage (bar heatran). Go with Flamethrower.

Thanks for the advice guys! I changed my Mixpert to an Anti-lead Starmie and I changed a few moves on Skarmory and Blissey. Let me know what you guys think.

Blackhawk11

one on one
Looks a lot better. Of course, now you don't have anyone who resists Electric, one of the most common attacking types in OU, but Electric is usually in the form of Thunderbolt and Discharge (with the occasional Thunder) so Blissey should be able to take those like a champ anyway.

A word of advice for putting this team into motion; make sure that Starmie doesn't die right away. It is not a suicide lead, and if your opponent keeps Ape hidden away for the late game, Starmie needs to be there ready and waiting.

right click, properties, copy link, insert like as picture ( when posting theres a picture of a mountain , click on it to insert picture link)

Thunderbolt and Discharge might be common, but aren't the only electric attacks. ThunderPunch would be used with a lot of Pokemon like Infernape, that has a lot of attack power could OHKO your Gyarados.

I would suggest instead of Heatran, I would go with Camerupt. He's Electric-resistant.

Camerupt @ Earth Plate
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Gentle Nature
- Eruption
- Earth Power
- Protect
- Stone Edge

switch your DDGyara to a DDmence since you have an electric weakness. keep Heatran, Camerupt isnt good in OU

I was thinking the same thing about the Gyarados and Salamence switch, but now im wondering what item to put on Salamence because I dont have another Life Orb.

Team looks pretty solid, I like it! I just have a few things I'd like to edit.

It is now known that Scizor is on pretty much every team, and he has quite a few counters now (Rotom-H, Gliscor, Zapdos, Gyarados etc). By using a CB Set, U-Turn will allow you to scout your opponent's team (but most importantly, their Scizor counter!)

Another thing, SkarmBliss lost all of it's sheen in ADV, I believe there is a more powerful combination out there now; ZapBliss. ZapBliss allows you to threaten physical attackers with a combination of Grass, Fire and Electric (Hidden Power Grass, Heat Wave, Discharge/Thunderbolt respectively).
One huge reason why Zapdos is superior to Skarmory in this remark is his ability to wall fighting attacks, which I can tell your team can benefit from.

Other than that, it looks solid as I stated above.

-Lord Liam

Give Lead Starmie Life Orb!

Reasons:

Hydro Pump 2HKOes Metagross all of the time, it OHKOes offensive scizor and does 70-80% to standard Scizor (common switch in). Only 1 common lead OHKOes Starmie commonly, and thats Azelf's explosions, so there is little point. Also with Life Orb, Starmie becomes a very threatening anti-metagame force, especially midgame, lategame or if the opponent loses their revenge killer.

Ok so I need to decide between Salamence, Scizor, and Starmie as for who to give the life orb. Who should it be?

I am going to try to rate this without replacing to many pokémon and without typing this at the marriland team builder, ass it glitches at the moment.

There are three issues that I can see just by looking at this team.

The first one would be a Nasty Plot Mixape problem, as it can kill almost every single Pokémon of yours using it's standard set. The only resistance that I can see it that Salamence could kill the Grass Knot version, and Starmie can easily take down the more rare Hidden Power Ice version can be taken down by starmie, even after 3 Nasty Plots. I am, however, going to focus on the Grass Knot one, witch after a setup can kill your Anti Lead Starmie. Salamence is your only counter, but at that is a Dragon Dance sweeper, it can easily be killed by the remaining Pokémon in your enemy team, and Infernape can by played again after that, setting up a sweep witch kills your entire team, even without a Nasty Plot if your Starmie is killed. What I suggest here is to replace your Salamence to Latias. This seems like a total waste, as the number of Infernape counters wont change. However, Latias does a way better job killing Infernape, and it isn't so bad in general either. It can also work as a sweeper, as Calm Mind would be setupped during his switch, and his bulky water woulod be killed using Thunderbolt. When it comes to the set, blackhawks one is good.

The second issue that I can see is that SD Scizor generally, well, sucks. This is because he never gets the option to setup and even if he does, half the metagame walls him. SD Lucario does a way better job, but I am going to suggest something else as I didn't want to change to many pokémon. I suggest that you put a choice band on it, and let it work as a Scout. This works better than the SD set, as Scizor is better as a hit and run, witch allows him to use moves such as superpower. This would also solve the problem that you have, you don't have a proper scout. For the set, I suggest the standard bulky CB Scizor set:

Scizor @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
EV's: 4 SpD / 252 Atk / 252 Hp
Adamant Nature
-Pursuit
-Bullet Punch
-Superpower
-U-turn

The reason that the 8 Spe isn't good at all is simply that in a "Scizor vs Scizor war", the one acting latest wins. If both go for attacking with Superpower, the last one damages more because of the first ones defence getting lowered for the last ones attack. If they decide to go for U-Turn, the last one gets a strategical advantage as he gets to act according to the opponents switch in.

The Third and last "issue" that I can see is the SkarmBliss combo. As I have played a lot during the 3rd generation era, I know how deadly that can be. Now, however, it is not useful at all. The reason is basically the Physical/Special split witch allows Pokémon to use their STAB moves witch are strong against them. Skarmory have became a bit outdated, and I would replace him. For this job, I would recommend either a Swampert or a Bronzong, both being able to set up Stealth Rock and walling physical attackers. I don't have time to give you the sets, you can easily check them up anyway. Let me know if you want me to give them to you.

EDIT: Now that I've read about the Life Orb issue, I am going to tell you what I think. I have told you that the SD Scizor set is a big failure, so you won't need to give him LO. If you decide to change Salamence, then there's only Starmie left. If you won't change him, I would choose Salamence for this, as defensive capabilities are usually not needed, as one Dragon Dance still is easy to setup if you switch him in at the right time.

Thank you so much for your tips! If I had access to a Latias I would definitely use him but I dont have Sapphire, only Ruby. I made a bunch of changes, brought back Mixpert, and changed Scizor and Salamence's sets.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)