My First RMT! [Mangosteen OU Team v1.0]

[Mangosteen OU Team v1.0]​

OP Date/Time: Thursday, March 10, 2011/3:48PM

Hey there Smogon Community! My name is Mangosteen and I'm working on my first serious team! This is my first time posting here although I've always enjoyed Pokemon and I've often used this site as a reference tool in the past. Anyway, down to business. Here's my team:

------------------------------------

------------------------------------​

Garchomp (M) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
Hasty Nature (+Spd, -Def)
- Double Chop
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast

I like to run lead Garchomp with a scarf. If he can kill the opposing lead, I will try to pick it off right there. Most opposing leads are packing something that can dismantle this set so I've paired him with Nattorei {Ferrothorn} and Heatran who can both eat threatening attacks (Dragon/Ice) and put me in a not-so-bad situation if I have to pull Chomp out right away. This is not always a bad thing because it saves him for later at full strength in order to eliminate or revenge kill threats like Borutorosu {Thundarus}, Shandera {Chandelure‎}, and other non-scarfed Dragons. I can also get him in frequently to absorb Electric attacks (mostly predicted Thunderwaves) and get a kill or two.

Dragonite (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Inner Focus
EVs: 244 HP / 252 SDef / 12 Spd
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Dragon Tail
- Roost
- Thunder Wave
- Heal Bell

This Dragonite is my favorite part of the team. With the teammates mentioned above I don't have to worry too much about switching out. Dragonite has always been a bit unpredictable, but entirely underwhelming. However, with the addition of Dragon Tail, Dragonite becomes a powerful Status-ing/Phasing special wall. I can bring him in on virtually any predicted special attack (except Ice/Dragon) or on any Ground attacks directed at Heatran.

Typically he can Thunder Wave + Roost away any damage, stalling until the opponent loses a turn to Paralysis. Then I can either switch out to a counter (if the opponent is choiced/spamming something predictable) or just phase them out with Dragon Tail.

The purpose of this set is to stick as many opposing Pokemon as possible with Paralysis while posing a phasing threat and also keeping my team status-free with Heal Bell.

Breloom (M) @ Toxic Orb
Trait: Poison Heal
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Hardy Nature
- Leech Seed
- Substitute
- Spore
- Focus Punch

Typical TrolLoom. This set is strengthened by the support of Thunder Waves provided by my Nattorei and Dragonite walls, allowing Breloom to set up on otherwise faster Pokemon. It also benefits from Nattorei's Leech Seeds.

I first added this Breloom to subtly take care of Porygon2, who would otherwise wall this team into oblivion. While Breloom can never get off a Focus Punch against Porygon2, when paired with Leech Seed Nattorei they do a good job of taking it down as a team. If Porygon2 comes in on any of my three Pokemon with Ice Weaknesses hoping to IceBeam&Wall, I switch to Nattorei and Leech Seed it. Then I will proceed to make it look like I intend to use Nattorei for a while to get Porygon2 to stop using IceBeam, and as soon as he does I switch to Breloom and Sub+PoisonHeal+LeechSeed until Porygon gets....deleted.

Unfortunately I can only do this after eliminating any opposing Shandera =/

Nattorei (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 56 Def / 200 SDef
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Stealth Rock
- Leech Seed
- Thunder Wave
- Protect

I'm new to figuring out how to make EV's work for me....but this set seems to be doing a good job of absorbing Physical attacks (& dealing recoil damage), taking IceBeams/Dragon-type Special attacks, getting up stealth rock, and helping Dragonite to spread Paralysis.

It also doesn't hurt that it can augment Dragonite's healing capabilities with LeechSeed and bait the opponent into using obvious fire attacks (absorbed by Heatran).

It gets ANNIHILATED by Shanderas and generally gives the combo of scarfShandera+Blissey/Chansey all the time they need to get way too much momentum.

Heatran (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Dark Pulse
- Fire Blast
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Dragon Pulse

He's here as a sweeper due to his speed, coverage, and the general capability of wrecking anything that has taken a ThunderWave, DragonTail, and Stealth Rock damage. He can absorb Fire attacks aimed at Nattorei and when he's threatened by Ground attacks I can switch to Dragonite.

HP Grass is entirely for picking off weakened bulky waters and smacking Ground/Water types.

Starmie @ Life Orb
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
- Rapid Spin
- Hydro Pump
- Thunderbolt
- Recover

I chose Life Orb Starmie because it provides Rapid Spin support, has good coverage, and it can heal itself. Natural Cure is always useful when I'm facing an opponent who likes to use Sleep moves.

Identified Threats:

Shandera:
I find Shandera's ability to Trap and Kill my Nattorei very annoying. It usually isn't too much of a problem, as I can revenge kill it easily with ScarfChomp, but if it happens too early in the game (or if it's Scarfed Shandera with a Blissey/Chansey) I find it very difficult to pull off a win with only Dragonite to distribute Thunder Waves and the very large possibility that I did not get to set up stealth rock.

Obviously there are others and I will post them here as I specifically identify them.

Importable:
Garchomp (M) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
Hasty Nature (+Spd, -Def)
- Double Chop
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast

Dragonite (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Inner Focus
EVs: 244 HP / 252 SDef / 12 Spd
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Dragon Tail
- Roost
- Thunder Wave
- Heal Bell

Breloom (M) @ Toxic Orb
Trait: Poison Heal
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Hardy Nature
- Leech Seed
- Substitute
- Spore
- Focus Punch

Nattorei (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 56 Def / 200 SDef
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Stealth Rock
- Leech Seed
- Thunder Wave
- Protect

Heatran (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
- Dark Pulse
- Fire Blast
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Dragon Pulse

Starmie @ Life Orb
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
- Rapid Spin
- Hydro Pump
- Thunderbolt
- Recover

------------------------------------​
Anyway, that's my team. I'll be updating this page as I update my team based on the Community's suggestions and my own research.

Thanks Smogon!​

Quite a solid team, but I have a few nitpicks for you to try out. On Chomp consider a -SpDef nature, mostly due to the rise in physical priority this gen and the fact you will be wanting to survive a few contact hits to get rough skin damage. Also I'd use Dragon Claw over Dual Chop since the 90% accuracy is quite a downside when compared to DC's reliability.

On Ferro I would use Shed Shell as the item - Leech Seed and Protect can net you some pretty good recovery, especially with parahax occuring, and this lets you Seed Chandelure on the switch-in, protect for a turn, then switch in Tran for the Fire Blast.

Also, sort out the page stretching text!

@Steinershocker:

Heal Bell and Multi-Scale are not a valid combination.

I was running this set with Substitute (instead of Heal Bell) and Multi-Scale, but it required support to keep Dragonite status-free and, as it stands, I don't have that much wiggle room with which to reduce the team's offensive capability.

the only reason I am rating your team is because I love Mangosteen :3.

Ahem.

Garchomp wants Adamant, seeing as it wont really affect OHKO's or 2HKO's. It still outspeeds and OHKOs Genosect and 2HKOs Skarm + Natt.

There is too much leech seed on this team. Change Breloom's Leech Seed to Seed Bomb.

Nattorei needs to attack. He actually has a really nice attack stat. Give him Power Whip if you get rid of Protect or Gyro Ball if you get rid of Thunder Wave.

Your team is incredibly ice weak, even with Heatrans 4x resist. Half your team is super effective against it, which is a worry with the number of BoltBeams and Ice moves people tend to carry nowadays just for dragons. A Kerudio with Hydro Pump, Mystery Sword and HP ice could sweep this team cold. It is for that reason I recommend having Burungeru on your team. It works beautifully as a core with Nattorei as you ought to know. It handles Ice moves and can stop Kerudio cold.

move 1: Boiling Water
move 2: Recover
move 3: Will-O-Wisp
move 4: Taunt / Ice Beam
item: Leftovers
ability: Water Absorb
nature: Calm
evs: 252 HP / 172 Def / 84 Spe

You don't give Dark Pulse to Heatran and not give it Earth Power. Earth Power is essential on just about every Heatran set. Get rid of Dark Pulse.

GL

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)