SPOILERS! Mysteries and Conspiracies of Pokemon

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
What does having your dream eaten fell like anyway? does it even like affect you?

I mean Dream Eater the move hurts the opponent somehow, but if that the case why is Hypno the only called out on eating dreams and Musharna isn't?
I could see it feeling like a headache/migraine.

And Hypno is more called out for the way it gets it dreams to eat. You pretty much have to let a Munna/Musharna eat your dream, they seem too docile to actively "hunt". Meanwhile, Hypno will jump out at travelers to put them to sleep and eat their dreams. Also they have the nasty habit of kidnapping children to use them as a food source. So, yeah, it's not that they eat dreams but how they go about it that gives Hypno a darker reputation.

And as Detective Barricade pointed out, Fairy-type isn't the "good" type. The closest you have to a "good" type is the Fighting-type which most members are honorary fighters and super effective against Dark-types (since they're dirty fighters). Fairy-type is more presented in a wide way where it's not good nor evil but rather focuses on them being mystical creatures with magical powers (as of now they're the closest thing to a "magic" type we have, ignoring magic things usually being associated with Psychic-types). This can be seen with one of their weaknesses being Steel-type, a reference to fey being weak to cold iron (and fey are not all flowers and sunshine, they can be nasty if not evil creatures and often need to be outsmarted by a clever hero for their to be a happy ending).

But should Cresselia have been re-typed as a Fairy-type? I actually agree with that, they could still keep it part Psychic-type but does seem odd that anything a Psychic-type would do would affect a Dark-type. Plus it has that association with the moon.

And yes, we've had inbalanced pairs before, though Cresselia and Darkrai are notable because one is meant to overcome the other yet the types are the reverse of that logic. Granted, Psychic-type moves do affect Dark-types and all this is outside of battle lore (Cresselia ability to cure nightmares and give off moonlight would ward off a nightmare and shadow creature that Darkrai is; if anything Cresselia just makes it uncomfortable for Darkrai to be living someplace close by even if it can defeat it in a battle).

What about the lake trio? I agree that there’s a strong case for Cresselia to gain a Fairy typing, but let’s not forget about the Pokémon whose names literally include synonyms for ‘fairy’. If we ignore Dialga’s Steel typing and just think of the creation trio as Dragon-types, it’d help explain the lake guardians’ role in keeping the balance in Sinnoh.

Maybe it was decided to just leave these Pokémon alone, since they don’t have any significant role in either XY or ORAS.

What does having your dream eaten fell like anyway? does it even like affect you?

I mean Dream Eater the move hurts the opponent somehow, but if that the case why is Hypno the only called out on eating dreams and Musharna isn't?
Musharna eats the dreams people would prefer not to have. It's usually helpful. The main reason Hypno gets called out on it is that it's been in the games far longer... and that it prefers eating good dreams. Having one's dream eaten probably doesn't normally hurt; if Drowzee's OR/AS entry is anything to go by, one's nose may get itchy if it's hovering above trying to eat one's dreams through your nostrils. It may be that Dream Eater's power is a result of it being more sudden and aggressive than what these Pokemon normally do with their prey.
Lunaala a Moon Pokemon is not Fairy too ...
And others pairs are not balanced ... like Yveltal & Xerneas
Lunala is the emissary of the moon. Its Ghost type fits well with the night and the moon, and, well, Alola already has a quartet of fickle legendary Fairy Pokemon in the Tapu. Just because something is associated with the moon doesn't necessarily mean it should be Fairy type. (a good example is Umbreon, evolving from Eevee when exposed to moonlight, yet Sylveon is the Fairy type Eeveelution)

I distinctly remember this subject coming up long ago, and I believe the generally accepted answer was that legendary Pokemon in-game are very rarely seen by people, thus not enough consistent new information would be present for them to be reclassified. The most that's happened is that Arceus' Pixie Plate was recently discovered, and the Z-crystals' energy may be similar to the plates. (likely something Aether Foundation stumbled upon during the creation of Type: Full/Silvally and the RKS System) The lake trio represent spirit, and were also pointed out as being powerless against both Dialga and Palkia, necessitating Giratina to intervene. (and unintentionally endangering both worlds by leaving them connected)

Time to mention two oddities found in the PMD games I noticed.

In Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Explorers of Time, Darkness, and Sky, there's a item called the Mt. Coronet Rock.

A rock that radiates a peculiar energy, rumored only to exist on Mt. Coronet, a place that no one knows anything about. It allows certain kinds of Pokémon to evolve.

Mt. Coronet is that huge mountain located in the middle of the Sinnoh Region. :|
The description mentions that no one knows about it, raising more questions.

Since I'm on the topic of PMD, why not show this oddity from a description about that abandoned lab friend area from Red/Blue Rescue Team.

An abandoned lab built by humans long ago. Left to fall into disrepair, it is now home to Pokémon.

Basically confirmed that humans used to exist in the PMD world. Does that mean the PMD games take place in the same world the core series do? But then how did the humans disappear? And one more thing, what was up with the rainbowish waving colors during the quiz at beginning of the game?

Of course, this might not even make sense as PMD is non-canon anyways.

My personal headcanon (although this is just that, a headcanon) is that the MD series take place in the same world as the main games, but like they are set in like a continent that the humans from the other regions have agreed not to disturb (though possibly only after putting a lab there in PMD1). Something similar was posited in the fanfic Power Trip, although in that fic it was like a nature preserve rather than a whole continent.

Returning to the Cresselia/Darkrai thing, if they're supposed to be a Legendary pair...why is Cress a regular Legendary and Darkrai a Mythical?

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Returning to the Cresselia/Darkrai thing, if they're supposed to be a Legendary pair...why is Cress a regular Legendary and Darkrai a Mythical?
Due to Darkrai's Bad Dreams Ability, it hides away from populated areas. Whether it's because it feels bad about being unable to stop giving everyone around it nightmares or fears it'll be hunted down from those afflicted to make the nightmares stop who knows.

Conversely, since Cresselia's feathers are said to bring good dreams (or at the very least chase away nightmares), it's a much welcomed Pokemon. Of course, it doesn't want to be used like that, is a Legendary so likes its privacy, and has a duty of chasing away Darkrai if it appears so, like most Legendaries, hides itself away somewhere.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
How does the Amulet Coin work in-universe?
Good question. I could only think of one answer (well, two) but it's rather sinister: The Amulet Coin has a sort of subliminal effect when seen. It makes whoever sees it that's paying another give double the due amount without realizing they're doing it. Of course what goes against this theory (aside them being banned by governments and criminal organizations trying to gather as many as they can) is that the trainer who uses it never pays doubles when they lose, though that can be explained in a few ways like they know their Pokemon has an Amulet Coin so they're aware of its effect. This would align with the item's origin and folklore connected to it. The Lucky Coin is based on an ancient Japanese currency called a koban (Lucky Coin's Japanese name is "Lucky Koban") which nowadays is more famous for being held by a maneki-neko, the beckoning cat (whom Meowth is based on). The folklore origins of the maneki-neko is that a (generally poor) owner of a shop/inn/temple/etc. took in a stray cat and as thanks the cat could sit outside the owner's place of business and attract customers by waving to them as if beckoning them. The maneki-neko has since then used by businesses as a good luck charm for monetary prosperity (which is why it holds a koban). So, circling this back around, the Lucky Coin essentially beckons the losing trainer to pay more. (Also this is a video game and you shouldn't think about it).

Though you can bring a lot of items into question on exactly how they work:

Power Lens & Power Band: Okay, I can sort of see how the other EV-Enhancing items increase their stat, but how does Lens increase Special Attack and Band increase Special Defense? The idea is these are weighted items, so heavy they half the holder's Speed but, depending on the item, increase a certain stat. Macho Brace and Power Weight is for the overall body (Macho Brace though uses tension so your body needs to put extra effort in doing anything thus why all EVs are increased; Weight meanwhile is just a heavy weight around your body training it to be more durable), Power Bracer goes around your arm or legs to train muscles used in physical attacks, Power Belt goes around the waist to help sturdy oneself to physical force, and Power Anklet goes around the ankles to strengthen your leg muscles thus move faster. But how is putting a hefty weight around your head supposed to increase your ability to launch energy and where does Band go to increase your ability to take these energy attacks? Oh, and of course there's the question of how these items work for Pokemon without the proper body parts.
Luck Incense: Same issue as Lucky Coin, guess it uses smell to subliminally make someone pay double? And unlike Lucky Coin these can be bought!
Choice Specs/Wise Glasses: Once again, how does glasses relate to Special Attack?
Bind Band/Grip Claw: So does your Pokemon actually physically use these items? Like with some items you can sort of write off that they have some mystical or symbolic power to them and that's where the effect is coming from, but these (and other's I'm mentioning) look like they're actually meant to be used. So for these items in particular, when your Pokemon is binding an opponent are those also used to increase damage/duration of the bind? How does this work for Fire Spin, Infestation, Magma Storm, and Whirlpool?
Leftovers: Okay, like I said some items you can just write off as their effect being mystical/symbolic... but this is just a discarded apple core. Where if the HP restoration effect coming from?
Scope Lens/Wide Lens/Zoom Lens: So, is your Pokemon actually using this to aim their attacks with? It looks like that's its literal functional use; it's a magnifying glass.
Weakness Policy: Okay, so just because my Pokemon is holding a document paper that says it'll get a certain stat increase if something happens it'll happen? Like I'm only willing to extend my "symbolism" definition to so much here, this is REALLY pushing it. Like, if I write a policy that makes my Pokemon indestructible/have infinite PP/all its stats are boosted to +6 does that hold as much merit as the Weakness Policy? What magic went into the Weakness Policy that allowed it to work as such?
Safety Goggles: Yeah, um, I don't thing goggles would prevent your body from being hit by course sand, hail, and powders/spores. Like the idea of these moves really didn't have anything to do with the eyes. Ironically, moves which do like Sand Attack or Mud-Slap aren't prevented by this item so I think some ideas got crossed here.
Shed Shell: So, does the Pokemon wear this?

Good question. I could only think of one answer (well, two) but it's rather sinister: The Amulet Coin has a sort of subliminal effect when seen. It makes whoever sees it that's paying another give double the due amount without realizing they're doing it. Of course what goes against this theory (aside them being banned by governments and criminal organizations trying to gather as many as they can) is that the trainer who uses it never pays doubles when they lose, though that can be explained in a few ways like they know their Pokemon has an Amulet Coin so they're aware of its effect. This would align with the item's origin and folklore connected to it. The Lucky Coin is based on an ancient Japanese currency called a koban (Lucky Coin's Japanese name is "Lucky Koban") which nowadays is more famous for being held by a maneki-neko, the beckoning cat (whom Meowth is based on). The folklore origins of the maneki-neko is that a (generally poor) owner of a shop/inn/temple/etc. took in a stray cat and as thanks the cat could sit outside the owner's place of business and attract customers by waving to them as if beckoning them. The maneki-neko has since then used by businesses as a good luck charm for monetary prosperity (which is why it holds a koban). So, circling this back around, the Lucky Coin essentially beckons the losing trainer to pay more. (Also this is a video game and you shouldn't think about it).

Though you can bring a lot of items into question on exactly how they work:

Power Lens & Power Band: Okay, I can sort of see how the other EV-Enhancing items increase their stat, but how does Lens increase Special Attack and Band increase Special Defense? The idea is these are weighted items, so heavy they half the holder's Speed but, depending on the item, increase a certain stat. Macho Brace and Power Weight is for the overall body (Macho Brace though uses tension so your body needs to put extra effort in doing anything thus why all EVs are increased; Weight meanwhile is just a heavy weight around your body training it to be more durable), Power Bracer goes around your arm or legs to train muscles used in physical attacks, Power Belt goes around the waist to help sturdy oneself to physical force, and Power Anklet goes around the ankles to strengthen your leg muscles thus move faster. But how is putting a hefty weight around your head supposed to increase your ability to launch energy and where does Band go to increase your ability to take these energy attacks? Oh, and of course there's the question of how these items work for Pokemon without the proper body parts.
Luck Incense: Same issue as Lucky Coin, guess it uses smell to subliminally make someone pay double? And unlike Lucky Coin these can be bought!
Choice Specs/Wise Glasses: Once again, how does glasses relate to Special Attack?
Bind Band/Grip Claw: So does your Pokemon actually physically use these items? Like with some items you can sort of write off that they have some mystical or symbolic power to them and that's where the effect is coming from, but these (and other's I'm mentioning) look like they're actually meant to be used. So for these items in particular, when your Pokemon is binding an opponent are those also used to increase damage/duration of the bind? How does this work for Fire Spin, Infestation, Magma Storm, and Whirlpool?
Leftovers: Okay, like I said some items you can just write off as their effect being mystical/symbolic... but this is just a discarded apple core. Where if the HP restoration effect coming from?
Scope Lens/Wide Lens/Zoom Lens: So, is your Pokemon actually using this to aim their attacks with? It looks like that's its literal functional use; it's a magnifying glass.
Weakness Policy: Okay, so just because my Pokemon is holding a document paper that says it'll get a certain stat increase if something happens it'll happen? Like I'm only willing to extend my "symbolism" definition to so much here, this is REALLY pushing it. Like, if I write a policy that makes my Pokemon indestructible/have infinite PP/all its stats are boosted to +6 does that hold as much merit as the Weakness Policy? What magic went into the Weakness Policy that allowed it to work as such?
Safety Goggles: Yeah, um, I don't thing goggles would prevent your body from being hit by course sand, hail, and powders/spores. Like the idea of these moves really didn't have anything to do with the eyes. Ironically, moves which do like Sand Attack or Mud-Slap aren't prevented by this item so I think some ideas got crossed here.
Shed Shell: So, does the Pokemon wear this?
Special Attack has always been associated with the ability to focus / gather your energy so I would think the Choice Specs / Wise Glasses magnify the power of your sight to focus better. The Power Lens might be some sort of "power-limiter" where it makes you hard to focus at first but as soon as you are used to it, you can "magnify your vision" and see better.

As for Leftovers, eating food always recovers HP in RPGs. That's how drinking Fresh Water / Soda Pop / Lemonades heal HP.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
As for Leftovers, eating food always recovers HP in RPGs. That's how drinking Fresh Water / Soda Pop / Lemonades heal HP.
Yeah, eating food is usually related to recovering HP but Leftovers is an apple core, it's barely considered a food yet recovers HP each turn; never runs out! Over time it'll heal more HP than healing berries and the drinks despite having very little of the fruit left (even counting the pats you generally don't eat).

not really the right thread but w/e there's not a better one

so i was talking to my bf about pokemon, he played it as a kid but doesnt know much about types n shit, i asked him what steel was immune to and he took a solid ten minutes to finally guess poison (after asking "is snake a type")
then when i said "yeah it's poison" he was like "that doesnt make any sense. If it were not very effective, ok, but immune??" and i was just like "i dont make the rules" and he said "well water isnt immune to fire!"

i said "no, it's not" and he said

"actually fire should be more effective on water, if you put a fish on a grill it's not gonna be like 'i live in the water, fuck off m8'"

i feel like this is an important question for our generation plz discuss

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
not really the right thread but w/e there's not a better one

so i was talking to my bf about pokemon, he played it as a kid but doesnt know much about types n shit, i asked him what steel was immune to and he took a solid ten minutes to finally guess poison (after asking "is snake a type")
then when i said "yeah it's poison" he was like "that doesnt make any sense. If it were not very effective, ok, but immune??" and i was just like "i dont make the rules" and he said "well water isnt immune to fire!"

i said "no, it's not" and he said

"actually fire should be more effective on water, if you put a fish on a grill it's not gonna be like 'i live in the water, fuck off m8'"

i feel like this is an important question for our generation plz discuss
Steel Immunity To Poison: As your bf said, does seem odd as it's not the element that's being poisoned but the creature made of the element. Rocks can't be poisoned either but they're not immune, so why Steel?
Well for why it doesn't effect Steel, let's think what poison does. Poisoning breaks down a cell making it either sickly or die, thus it's no longer doing its job in the body and if enough cells get sick/die your body starts shutting down. So the cells of a Steel-type must be able to resist breaking down from ordinary poisoning attempts, made of sterner stuff.
But why isn't Rock given the same immunity? Guess the cells just aren't as ironclad (pun intended). Also the Poison-type has acidic qualities and it could be the acid is strong enough to dissolve through the rock cell's defensive layer but not Steel's.
In the end, it's just how things are.

Water Resist Fire: Okay, so if its not the element being attacked but an organism, why isn't aquatic creatures easily cooked by fire? Well, while we're not attacking the element, the creature we are attacking is an elemental. It may not be made of water, but it has control over water such as covering its body with moisture. When attacked by a Fire-type move, while the organism may normally be hurt the moisture its controlling dampens the flames/cools down the heat thus giving it its resistance.

Reviving this thread because I have a question that's bugged me for years and it doesn't actually fit in the other threads.

So in the second episode of the pokemon Anime, when Team Rocket is attack the pokemon center and Pikachu is still recovering from fighting off Spearow last time. It's a critical moment and everyone is in danger.

So why in the world did Misty use a Goldeen?!

The later Mt. Moon episode proves she had Staryu on her at the time (and probably Starmie too), and as a gym leader she is more than competent at pokemon battles. Plus at the time she didn't have a crutch like Psyduck hanging around to nerf her, so what's the deal Misty? Unless the original Japanese explained it, the dub acts like she just forgot fish need water.

This wouldn't bug me so much if it weren't for the fact that this scene in Episode 2 is why Goldeen is the joke summon in the Smash Bros series and not something series-authentic like Magikarp.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Reviving this thread because I have a question that's bugged me for years and it doesn't actually fit in the other threads.

So in the second episode of the pokemon Anime, when Team Rocket is attack the pokemon center and Pikachu is still recovering from fighting off Spearow last time. It's a critical moment and everyone is in danger.

View attachment 161850

The later Mt. Moon episode proves she had Staryu on her at the time (and probably Starmie too), and as a gym leader she is more than competent at pokemon battles. Plus at the time she didn't have a crutch like Psyduck hanging around to nerf her, so what's the deal Misty? Unless the original Japanese explained it, the dub acts like she just forgot fish need water.

This wouldn't bug me so much if it weren't for the fact that this scene in Episode 2 is why Goldeen is the joke summon in the Smash Bros series and not something series-authentic like Magikarp.
She's trying to trick Team Rocket into thinking she doesn't know what she's doing? Also trying to buy Ash time to get Pikachu to safety, if they thought she was a serious threat they may try to prevent Ash from escaping, but if they think both of them are weak stupid kids they have no reason to worry about Misty actually stopping them or Ash getting away and/or getting help. The Rocket Trio would seem the kind to want to toy with their opponents and watch them being humiliated, funnier if they humiliate themselves.

View attachment 161850

Really, and here I thought it was because Goldeen remains junk when it evolves into Seaking. Magikarp at least evolves into Gyarados...

Really, and here I thought it was because Goldeen remains junk when it evolves into Seaking. Magikarp at least evolves into Gyarados...
Gyarados
- 4x weak to Electric
- Doesn't have a powerful horn
- Can't learn a one hit KO move
- Expansive but worthless special movepool it can't even use
- Weak to Stealth Rock

Seaking
- Absorbs electricity
-...using its powerful horn
-...which can OHKO opponents with Horn Drill.
- Nonexistant special movepool; instead it gets cool physical moves like Megahorn
- Not weak to Stealth Rock

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Gyarados
- 4x weak to Electric
- Doesn't have a powerful horn
- Can't learn a one hit KO move
- Expansive but worthless special movepool it can't even use
- Weak to Stealth Rock

Seaking
- Absorbs electricity
-...using its powerful horn
-...which can OHKO opponents with Horn Drill.
- Nonexistant special movepool; instead it gets cool physical moves like Megahorn
- Not weak to Stealth Rock
Sure, guess Seaking has those advantages over Gyarados as long as you're willing to overlook their stats, other available Abilities, and Gyarados able to Mega Evolve into something that's only normally weak to Electric and isn't weak to Stealth Rock. Otherwise FUCK YEAH SEAKING!:bloblul:

I dunno if this is the right place for this, but I have a theory: Gengar wasn't conceived to be Clefable's shadow.

https://helixchamber.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/PERIOD_1A_1.png

It was conceived as Clefairy's shadow. Granted, it might have been switched to be Clefable's as the design process went on, but it was Clefairy originally.

Yeah even looking at these images of their final designs, Clefairy more closely matches Gengar’s proportions, at least to me. They both have bodies which are mostly just heads with stubby arms and legs attached, whereas Clefable has an actual midsection below its face, with a taller, less rounded overall shape and longer limbs. Clefable’s prominent wings also make it look less like Gengar.

On the other hand, an actual size comparison favours the Gengar/Clefable shadow theory more, as do their positions in their respective evolutionary lines.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)