Project National Dex Teambuilding Lab

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zneon

uh oh
is a Community Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus

approved by Jordy
op mostly stolen from here and partially
here
Gorgeous banner by Gummy

Builders

Rules

• Welcome to the National Dex Teambuilding Lab! Here, we'll take requested starting points of a single Pokémon or a core of two Pokémon and produce a team based around it, post it here, and include a description of our teambuilding process to hopefully help others improve their building toolkit.
  • To request a core, simply post the sets and have a brief description providing an overview of how the core works/what it does.
  • You may only request once at a time, please wait until your request is done before making another.
  • A Pokémon can only be requested if it's listed somewhere on the Viability Rankings thread. Exceptions can be made with prior approval from the host.
  • Please do not ask us to make use of unviable Pokemon / cores, I recommend them to be at least B+ or higher.
  • If you'd like to change one of your requests please contact the host beforehand.
  • Please don't pester any builder to build quickly, we all have our busy lives and we're doing this completely voluntarily.
  • I reserve the rights to claim a request as unworkable and not list it if it features a impractical core or an awkward set.

Building Applications

If you wish to become a member of the Lab staff, please send the hosts a forum PM containing an application that follows the format below. Bear in mind that demand for builders will fluctuate based on the volume of requests and the activity level of the Lab's current staff.

1. Be knowledgeable regarding National Dex and the current metagame
2. Provide evidence demonstrating your skills as a builder (RMT Team Showcase, examples of successful teams, etc.)
3. ~A paragraph in length describing how you build / what playstyle you are best at building (offense, stall, or balance, to be precise)
You must clearly demonstrate to the hosts that you deserve consideration as a builder. If you do not provide enough useful information to successfully enable us to judge your suitability for the position, your application will be declined.

edit: builder applications are closed as of right now

Last edited:

Zneon

uh oh
is a Community Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Current Requests

Garchomp + Tapu Koko
Z-Move Garchomp
Ash Greninja + Cinderace
Mega Lopunny + NP Hydreigon
Mega Mawile + CM Clefable
Choice Specs Kyurem + Mega Medicham

Outdated Teams

Last edited:
can you do tapu koko + mmedi
so tapu koko provides volt turn for mmedi which it appreciates also boosting up tpunch which allows it to beat slowbro.

Tapu Koko @ Choice Specs
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Thunderbolt
- Dazzling Gleam
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Volt Switch

Medicham-Mega @ Medichamite
Ability: Pure Power
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Thunder Punch
- Fake Out
- Zen Headbutt
- High Jump Kick

thank you if you do this core

Dorron

BLU LOBSTAH
is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a defending World Cup of Pokemon Champion
Interested in something with Spectrier + Mawile Mega

Spectrier @ Choice Specs
Ability: Grim Neigh
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Hex
- Will-O-Wisp
- Mud Shot

Mawile-Mega @ Mawilite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Sucker Punch
- Play Rough
- Thunder Punch

Zeno420

Banned deucer.
Interested in a core of specs mag+spdef gliscor! I’m hoping for a more defensive variant, so bulky offense/balance would be preferred! Thank you.

Magearna @ Choice Specs
Ability: Soul-Heart
EVs: 112 HP / 252 SpA / 144 Spe
Modest Nature
- Trick
- Flash Cannon
- Volt Switch
- Fleur Cannon

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 244 HP / 52 Def / 76 SpD / 136 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Roost

Batzi

“I’m Cosmo Kramer, the Assman!”
is a Tiering Contributor
so tapu koko provides volt turn for mmedi which it appreciates also boosting up tpunch which allows it to beat slowbro.

Tapu Koko @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Dazzling Gleam
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Volt Switch

Jolly Nature
- Thunder Punch
- Fake Out
- Zen Headbutt
- High Jump Kick

I had a whirl at this team because that core reminds me heaps of some of the teams in Gen 7 OU.

Tapu Koko @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Dazzling Gleam
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Volt Switch

Jolly Nature
- Thunder Punch
- Fake Out
- Zen Headbutt
- High Jump Kick

Magearna @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 HP / 16 SpA / 240 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Volt Switch
- Ice Beam
- Energy Ball
- Fleur Cannon

Hydreigon @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 104 SpA / 112 SpD / 40 Spe
Modest Nature
- Defog
- Earth Power
- Dark Pulse
- Roost

Spectrier @ Ghostium Z
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Shadow Ball
- Dark Pulse

Landorghini (Landorus-Therian) (M) @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 16 HP / 252 Atk / 240 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Stealth Rock
- Punishment

So obviously starting with the core of Koko+Cham. Very strong offensive core with Koko being able to Volt on switchins. Personally I'd go U-Turn>Volt Switch to be able to turn on the grounds but I kept the set as is because I wouldn't want to change something you've done unless I think it's really wrong.

Where the whole "reminded me of Gen 7" thing comes relevant is the AV magearna. It has 0 speed EVS and a - Nature in able to slow turn on things that usually are slower such as opposing Magearna, Blissey, Tangrowth, etc. It's EV'd to OHKO physical Gastrodon can pester Koko a little bit as well as kill Mega Swampert thinking its coming in on a Volt Switch.

Hydreigon is here because I need a Defogger and a Spectrier check. It's EV'd to outspeed 241s, OHKO Offensive Heatran and OHKO Spectrier after rocks. If Spectrier is banned from the tier, I'd replace this.

Spectrier is one of the most dominant mons atm and I think it could work perfectly on this offensive core. Mega Medicham covers its weaknesses to Dark making it easier to unleash once a dent is done to those darks. It can Sub CM on Shadow Ball Blissey making it an irrelevant check unless they make every predict correct, and that's not even taking into account that not every Blissey runs Shadow Ball, and if they do they often lose out on status. If Spectrier is banned from the tier, I'd replace this with Specs Ash Gren and make Koko Z Electrium.

Landorus is here because it's another part of those iconic offence teams from Gen 7. It's scarfed because it Hydreigon were to die to Spectrier due to rocks not coming up yet, Lando can just come in and revenge kill it. It can also come in on the threat Mega Latias and click Punishment which punishes (haha funne) the opponent for setting up.

Hope you enjoy!

Tapu Koko @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Dazzling Gleam
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Volt Switch

Jolly Nature
- Thunder Punch
- Fake Out
- Zen Headbutt
- High Jump Kick

https://pokepast.es/a512388cfe13398e
e: https://pokepast.es/e12db76a5e5a36a7 someone pointed out that the team has issues with gliscor - this aims to fix that partially

:tapu koko: :medicham-mega: :landorus-therian: :ferrothorn: :tyranitar: :spectrier:

Hello, I decided to tackle this core as Medicham + Tapu Koko happens to be one of the more interesting cores I've found
Electric Terrain can assist in helping Medicham break past one of its best counters, that being Mega Sableye, so I figured a build abusing these aspects and thus a build that can disrupt balance cores with hazards was a good idea to start.

Originally, this team used defensive Flyinium Z Landorus-Therian, Ferrothorn and Hydreigon, but after realizing that this core was too fighting weak and didn't have much of a plan B for Spectrier, I figured that I'd have to make the compromise and run Choice Scarf Defog Landorus-Therian. Irritating to have on every build I feel but at the moment the state of the metagame demands it. Ferrothorn is a pretty generic set - it helps the team stave off Greninja and other water type threats in the face of a more offensive build, and sets hazards like a pro. This is then paired with a fairly weird Tyranitar. The Tyranitar does not have Stone Edge but instead opts for double Dark move + Superpower to minimize passiveness towards Magearna & Mega Mawile, as well as chip steels that would otherwise cause havoc in the back like Ferrothorn & Melmetal. It is Chople Berry in order to pivot into Mega Latias matchups much better and force it out more reliably. You can opt to run Earthquake for a better matchup against Heatran & the Fairy/Steels, or Stone Edge if you want to force out Moltres, but either works pretty decently. Finally, a bulky Spectrier rounds out the build, EVd to tank a CB Rilla Grassy Glide from full, but more purposely, to take a Mega Medicham's Zen Headbutt after Stealth Rock damage. It does cut into its power a little (~11%), but it is worth it for what utility it gives Spectrier. Do write back if you find any major issues with the team!

Last edited:

ShionShadows

Soaring to Greatness
I will be requesting a core of Reuniclus and Mega Lopunny

:bw/reuniclus:

Reuniclus @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 212 Def / 44 Spe
Bold Nature
- Stored Power
- Recover
- Acid Armor
- Calm Mind

This mon is, of course, a bulky wincon against passive teams that cant pressure Reuniclus enough to force it out before it sets up. Once it starts setting up, its quite unlikely it will be stopped(most relevant darks get beat by tspikes and you can get crit like any other bulky wincon). Spread is standard, speed is to creep uninvested Pex before it can get a Haze off. I'm pretty sure physdef is better to take advantage of its typing but I think spd can work.

:xy/lopunny-mega:

Lopunny-Mega @ Lopunnite
Ability: Scrappy
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Return
- Close Combat
- U-turn

On the other hand, Mega Lopunny is the blazing fast partner to take on the pokemon unaffected by tspikes and just make the core better against offense, as Reuniclus struggles with that and Lopunny generally struggles with fat.

I know I mention tspikes without having a tspikes user in the core but its a Reuni team.

Another core i want is specs mage + zardy
so basically zardy beats almost all of mage's counters and mage kinda beats chansey and blissey and they cover types for each other idk about this core seems kinda weird but nonetheless i would love to see it

Zneon

uh oh
Another core i want is specs mage + zardy
so basically zardy beats almost all of mage's counters and mage kinda beats chansey and blissey and they cover types for each other idk about this core seems kinda weird but nonetheless i would love to see it

Magearna + Zard Y VoltTurn
[click for importable]

This is a pretty interesting one so I decided to tackle it. Specs Magearna + Zard Y is obviously the start, then I decided to add Slowbro because of how it pairs with both your Magearna and Zard Y. Both of them dislike Toxapex and Future Sight + Teleport into one of them is going to consistently make progress. SpDef Snarl Hydreigon is one of the few ways of checking Spectrier so I decided to add it on this team, plus this team lacks a solid to Heatran and Ash-Greninja and a Defogger so I felt it was a very good fit. As for the EV spread on it, the 92 SpA EVs always guarantee an OHKO on offensive Heatran while the 88 Speed EVs outspeed it, the rest is dumped into HP and SpDef to make it more efficient at checking what it needs to. This team lacks a volt blocker and since VoltTurn can cause an vortex of momentum for the opponent, this is an excellent fit, especially considering how annoying Flynium Z Landorus-T can be to pivot around sometimes. Lastly Cinderace adds an excellent pivot to this team that pairs well many of the other Pokemon well up to this point, makes a great VoltTurn combo with Magearna, Zard Y makes its Pyro Balls harder to pivot around and Future Sight Slowbro removes the need for Zen Headbutt for Toxapex.

If you have any issues with the team let me know. Hope you enjoy! :blobthumbsup:

Amberr

Banned deucer.
Requesting a natdex ou team built around this nightmare of a core
what run whatever benefits from fast uturn spam
Beedrill-Mega @ Beedrillite
Ability: Sniper
Jolly Nature
- Drill Run
- U-turn
- Poison Jab
- Fell Stinger

Greninja-Ash (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Battle Bond
Jolly Nature
- Gunk Shot
- Waterfall
- U-turn
- Brutal Swing/Low Kick

Last edited:

Zneon

uh oh
Requesting a natdex uu team around Amoonguss + Crawdaunt ;w;
Hiya, should have specified this in the OP but this is mainly for national dex ou cores / pokemon specifically, though feel free to request anything that's ND OU related however!

Requesting a natdex ou team built around this nightmare of a core
what run whatever benefits from fast uturn spam
Beedrill-Mega @ Beedrillite
Ability: Sniper
Jolly Nature
- Drill Run
- U-turn
- Poison Jab
- Fell Stinger

Greninja-Ash (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Battle Bond
Jolly Nature
- Gunk Shot
- Waterfall
- U-turn
- Brutal Swing/Low Kick
Hiya, so unfortunately, I am going to have to reject this considering one Pokemon is unviable and the other while viable has a very awkward and suboptimal set to actually work with. Feel free to suggest something else though :)

Garchomp-Mega @ Garchompite
Ability: Rough Skin
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Scale Shot
- Earthquake
- Substitute

Magnezone @ Choice Specs
Ability: Magnet Pull
Hidden Power: Fire
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Volt Switch

pretty simple core, mchomp sweeps and zone removes some of its roadblocks

tf

Natdex Unplayer
Rillaboom @ Choice Band
Ability: Grassy Surge
Jolly /Adamant Nature
- Grassy Glide
- Knock Off
- U-turn
- Wood Hammer

Kartana @ Normalium Z
Ability: Beast Boost
Jolly Nature
- Giga Impact
- Leaf Blade
- Sacred Sword
- Swords Dance
its a grassy spam core, rillaboom boosts the damage of the plant attacks of kartana, who kills zapados, for an example, for rillaboom

Steorra

nya smells
is a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Discord Leader
Interested in a core of specs mag+spdef gliscor! I’m hoping for a more defensive variant, so bulky offense/balance would be preferred! Thank you.

Magearna @ Choice Specs
EVs: 112 HP / 252 SpA / 144 Spe
Modest Nature
- Trick
- Flash Cannon
- Volt Switch
- Fleur Cannon

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
EVs: 244 HP / 52 Def / 76 SpD / 136 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Roost
:ss/magearna: :ss/gliscor: :ss/cinderace: :ss/lopunny-mega: :ss/corviknight: :ss/zarude:
click the above for import

Hello, Solaros & Lunaris and myself decided to build around this core. Magearna + gliscor seemed very solid already with gliscor defensively checking a good chunk of magearna's supposedly checks and build off that from there.​

Cinderace was first added as it served as a great pivot partner for magearna, as both would pivot out of each others checks/pressure them and served for overall great partners.

Next was mega lopunny as this provided a new unique typing to the table, along with some great speed control and an attempt to check spectrier. It also added to the table more pivoting routes for the team to make for a great volt turn combo alongside ace and magearna as it also appreciated them as partners.

After this, some notable threats in kartana and tapu lele popped out so to patch this up we added corviknight to check both of them/another pivot for the volt turn core. This also gave defog support and a solid rillaboom answer.

Lastly was zarude as rain looked rather troublesome and zarude patches this up nicely. Darkinium z was leaned more over grassium solely for zapdos since after some small chip, rain zapdos dies to +1 darkinium. It also provided a more solid ash-greninja switch-in and another attempt to check spectrier.

Potential changes: magearna can be adjusted to have this set which allows you to outspeed a rather common benchmark and the fighting move comes in handy for steels.
Magearna @ Choice Specs
Modest Nature
- Fleur Cannon
- Volt Switch
- Focus Blast/Aura Sphere
- Trick

Additionally the gliscor can be adjusted to have taunt over toxic to stop defoggers from defogging rocks away, but toxic is also fine. The speed can be taken away to only go up to 255 to outspeed offensive tran and speed creepers for offensive tran as well. You can put the remaining evs in spdef to take on hits much better special wise namely hits from offensive heatran.

If any issues arise, just let me know, otherwise hf with it.

One of these 2; I can't decide which one I want to use.

Scizor-Mega (M) @ Scizorite
Ability: Light Metal
EVs: 248 HP / 56 Atk / 204 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- Roost
- Knock Off

Tyranitar (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Sand Stream
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 40 HP / 252 Atk / 48 SpD / 168 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Pursuit
- Earthquake

or

Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- Roost
- Knock Off

Gliscor (M) @ Toxic Orb
EVs: 244 HP / 52 Def / 188 SpD / 24 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Roost
- Swords Dance
- Facade

(also i dont really care about the scizor set and tyranitar's last move)

The first core uses Tyranitar to destroy Zapdos and Pursuit trap both it and Heatran to help Scizor. Scizor also appreciates how good Tyranitar is at punching holes. Tyranitar appreciates Scizor switching into Tangrowth and using U-Turn to bring it in against Zapdos.

The second core uses Gliscor to break whatever Scizor can't. Heatran, Toxapex, and Zapdos. Being a great switchin to Heatran and Cinderace is also great.

Zeno420

Banned deucer.
:ss/magearna: :ss/gliscor: :ss/cinderace: :ss/lopunny-mega: :ss/corviknight: :ss/zarude:

Hello, Solaros & Lunaris and myself decided to build around this core. Magearna + gliscor seemed very solid already with gliscor defensively checking a good chunk of magearna's supposedly checks and build off that from there.​

Cinderace was first added as it served as a great pivot partner for magearna, as both would pivot out of each others checks/pressure them and served for overall great partners.

Next was mega lopunny as this provided a new unique typing to the table, along with some great speed control and an attempt to check spectrier. It also added to the table more pivoting routes for the team to make for a great volt turn combo alongside ace and magearna as it also appreciated them as partners.

After this, some notable threats in kartana and tapu lele popped out so to patch this up we added corviknight to check both of them/another pivot for the volt turn core. This also gave defog support and a solid rillaboom answer.

Lastly was zarude as rain looked rather troublesome and zarude patches this up nicely. Darkinium z was leaned more over grassium solely for zapdos since after some small chip, rain zapdos dies to +1 darkinium. It also provided a more solid ash-greninja switch-in and another attempt to check spectrier.

Potential changes: magearna can be adjusted to have this set which allows you to outspeed a rather common benchmark and the fighting move comes in handy for steels.
Magearna @ Choice Specs
Modest Nature
- Fleur Cannon
- Volt Switch
- Trick

Additionally the gliscor can be adjusted to have taunt over toxic to stop defoggers from defogging rocks away, but toxic is also fine. The speed can be taken away to only go up to 255 to outspeed offensive tran and speed creepers for offensive tran as well. You can put the remaining evs in spdef to take on hits much better special wise namely hits from offensive heatran.

Thank you so much to both of you guys. Definitely going to use this on ladder a whole lot. Really appreciate it!

Zeno420

Banned deucer.

Magearna @ Choice Specs
Modest Nature
- Fleur Cannon
- Volt Switch
- Trick

So after a few matches, there’s a glaring issue with the team. There are no fire resists aside from ace, so opposing Char-Ys, Char-X, and volc will have a field day. Gliscor can handle char X and volc to an extent but it’s not really a reliable check to either of those. Any changes that can be made to address those issues?

pannu

MEDKIT CUZ SHES HEALABLE
is a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
I will be requesting a core of Reuniclus and Mega Lopunny

:bw/reuniclus:

Reuniclus @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 212 Def / 44 Spe
Bold Nature
- Stored Power
- Recover
- Acid Armor
- Calm Mind

This mon is, of course, a bulky wincon against passive teams that cant pressure Reuniclus enough to force it out before it sets up. Once it starts setting up, its quite unlikely it will be stopped(most relevant darks get beat by tspikes and you can get crit like any other bulky wincon). Spread is standard, speed is to creep uninvested Pex before it can get a Haze off. I'm pretty sure physdef is better to take advantage of its typing but I think spd can work.

:xy/lopunny-mega:

Lopunny-Mega @ Lopunnite
Ability: Scrappy
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Return
- Close Combat
- U-turn

On the other hand, Mega Lopunny is the blazing fast partner to take on the pokemon unaffected by tspikes and just make the core better against offense, as Reuniclus struggles with that and Lopunny generally struggles with fat.

I know I mention tspikes without having a tspikes user in the core but its a Reuni team.
why am i being asked to build mono psychic reuni in a dark spam meta.

:reuniclus: :lopunny-mega: :toxapex: :clefable: :gliscor: :mandibuzz:

:reuniclus: :lopunny-mega: the 2 you asked for, they do what you said they did so i will not be going in depth on them.

:toxapex: Pex is here due to tspikes support helping reuni stall out dark types like tyranitar going around in the tier rn, while physdef is objectively better i went with spdef on this team for a reliableish ashgren switch.

:clefable: with how common dark types are rn and how problematic they are for reuni, i wanted the rocker to be a cm clefable w/ rocks, it can threaten some very common defoggers like mandibuzz and hydreigon and with cm it can certainly chip away at other threats to the team like slowbro or gliscor, overall its just a nice fit for the teams rocker.

:gliscor: I wanted a volt blocker for this team so i went with sd gliscor. I also couldve went with something like hippo but i didnt because i think gliscs offensive pressure will really help this team, its very good for sponging hits and also serves as the ace check for the team, or well it should be able to keep ace in check with pex and mlop supporting, just dont hardswitch it in if poison heal isnt active.

:mandibuzz: The spectrier matchup is looking kind of weak so i went with mandibuzz as the mandatory dark type for the team. i wouldve gone with hydreigon in this slot but i feel as if the extra bulk mandi provides is nice, it also provides knock support so that tspikes and rocks actually hit stuff, overall just a nice fit imo

yee heres the team and all, idk if you noticed but idt mono psychic reuni is the best set rn, you could change it to cm psyshock + focus blast w/ colbur or fight z. if you wanna keep the set id recommend going rocky helmet tho. also this team just gets 6-0d by mage i am very sorry abt that

Happy to serve!

Last edited:

Avery

Banned deucer.

here

The core inherently requires more than one fire resist due to how they stack weaknesses, and I thought this was the best way to approach that issue. Excadrill was originally Lando, but Magearna did Magearna things and is still difficult to play around, however it is much more manageable than it was previously. Calm Mind Flame Clef works well with this core for it's ability to threaten Scizor & Corv, while the grasses threaten Toxapex. Drei is a little strained in the sheer amount of mons it has to check, like Tran, Spect, Ashgren, etc. Team was pretty fun in testing, hopefully you enjoy!

Garchomp-Mega @ Garchompite
Ability: Rough Skin
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Scale Shot
- Earthquake
- Substitute

Magnezone @ Choice Specs
Ability: Magnet Pull
Hidden Power: Fire
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Volt Switch

pretty simple core, mchomp sweeps and zone removes some of its roadblocks
Excuse the highly cursed Tyranitar. Blame dumb ghost horse

https://pokepast.es/20eb64b6ae307afc

I changed Garchomp's Substitute to Stone Edge on this build - this allows it to break past Corviknight without having to sacrifice too much in terms of momentum.

Initially, when supporting this core, I figured that due to stacking Dragon types, Hydreigon was not going to be a suitable addition. Instead, during the initial process I figured that the two major things I needed to do to help out were to obtain greater matchups against anti-offense staples - Mega Lopunny, Tapu Koko, and Rillaboom all fit this criteria. Therefore, I figured that Moltres and Tyranitar were the two best fits for these jobs as Moltres can help stave off Rillaboom, Mega Lopunny and some Cinderace sets whilst Tyranitar helps deal with Mega Latias and Spectrier. Sadly, to deal with both and not subsequently lose momentum to Magearna, this abomination of a Tyranitar was brought to the table as a way to at least have some sort of counterplay towards the brokens. This was patched up with a Tangrowth which helps deal with AshGren and other miscellaneous water-type targets. This is then finished out with a bulky Spectrier which helps with Psychic types and certain problem Pokemon like Mega Medicham.

One of these 2; I can't decide which one I want to use.

Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- Roost
- Knock Off

Tyranitar (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Sand Stream
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 40 HP / 252 Atk / 48 SpD / 168 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Pursuit
- Earthquake

or

Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- Roost
- Knock Off

Gliscor (M) @ Toxic Orb
EVs: 244 HP / 52 Def / 188 SpD / 24 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Roost
- Swords Dance
- Facade

(also i dont really care about the scizor set and tyranitar's last move)

The first core uses Tyranitar to destroy Zapdos and Pursuit trap both it and Heatran to help Scizor. Scizor also appreciates how good Tyranitar is at punching holes. Tyranitar appreciates Scizor switching into Tangrowth and using U-Turn to bring it in against Zapdos.

The second core uses Gliscor to break whatever Scizor can't. Heatran, Toxapex, and Zapdos. Being a great switchin to Heatran and Cinderace is also great.
Hey, here's a team. I hope you have fun with it!

:scizor-mega::tyranitar::excadrill::amoonguss::heatran::gliscor:
importable

To start off, I want to point out that it is incredibly hard to build a solid team with core like this in the current environment of National Dex. There's lots of options with these kinds of teams, but generally, you're going to be weak to some of offensive Heatran, Gliscor, Mega Medicham, Bulk Up Cinderace, Choice Specs Magearna, and Rain. It is simply too hard to cover everything solidly at once. That said, I do believe that this team gives you solid chances at outplaying almost all these matchups.

Around Mega Scizor + Tyranitar, I think that Excadrill makes a lot of sense to run as the Speed control. It provides you with entry hazard removal, an Electric immunity, and a secondary Steel-type. Amoonguss significantly eases the Choice Specs Magearna matchup as well as some other threats like Calm Mind Tapu Fini and Clefable. It also makes the Ash-Greninja matchup much easier, having Amoonguss to initially pivot into Ash-Greninja to scout what it locks into, and then having the option to pivot into Tyranitar if it locks into Dark Pulse is great. With Amoonguss, the team also doesn't immediately fall apart against Rillaboom + Magnezone. The team still needs a Stealth Rocker and a Pokemon that can take on Mega Scizor quite reliably. Heatran makes a lot of sense here to fill that role. It also eases the matchup against High Jump Kick-less Cinderace and can claim a kill against rain teams, which can open up a gap. Lastly, the team's still quite weak to Heatran and Tyranitar is simply not sturdy enough an answer, and the team still needs a Flying immune and Pokemon to take advantage of Toxapex.

Mega Scizor's EV spread allows it to OHKO Mega Medicham at +2 after Stealth Rock damage, while also living a High Jump Kick from Mega Medicham after Stealth Rock damage. Excadrill's EV spread maximizes Leftovers recovery and is never OHKOed by a Hidden Power Fire from Choice Specs Tapu Lele after Stealth Rock and 1 layer of Spikes.

This was my personal favorite variation, but there's definitely some other options depending on what you want to achieve. The current team absolutely loses to a well played, accurate Mega Medicham. You could attempt to fit Slowbro over Amoonguss to ease this matchup as well as the Slowbro matchup, at the cost of making your team weaker to Magearna. This would almost definitely require a bulkier Heatran to make up for that. You could consider Reuniclus over Gliscor, too. Though, this comes at the cost of a Ground immune which is really important. Rocky Helmet Tangrowth is an option to gradually wear down Mega Medicham, while also helping with the Gliscor matchup. Though once again, this comes at the cost of your Magearna matchup. You could probably make something with Gastrodon work too.

Batzi

“I’m Cosmo Kramer, the Assman!”
is a Tiering Contributor
Interested in something with Spectrier + Mawile Mega

Spectrier @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Hex
- Will-O-Wisp
- Mud Shot

Mawile-Mega @ Mawilite
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Sucker Punch
- Play Rough
- Thunder Punch
This is a team Jho made however I'm writing the analysis because he's busy, so all credit goes to him and the other builders who helped him with this.

Mawile @ Mawilite
EVs: 92 HP / 252 Atk / 164 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Swords Dance

Spectrier @ Ghostium Z
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Dark Pulse
- Nasty Plot
- Substitute

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 44 HP / 184 Atk / 72 Def / 208 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Knock Off
- Punishment

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 136 SpD / 120 Spe
Calm Nature
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock

Zarude @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Leaf Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 24 SpD / 232 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Power Whip
- Darkest Lariat
- Bulk Up
- Jungle Healing

Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 244 HP / 12 SpA / 56 SpD / 196 Spe
Calm Nature
- Moonblast
- Scald
- Taunt
- Defog

So to start with, the set of Mega Mawile has been changed as you can leave more of a dent with Knock Off on more things rather than Thunder Punch. The EVs here make sure that you outspeed mons such as Blissey, Corviknight, Clefable, Skarmory, Tyranitar with little speed investment, Tangrowth, and some other mons who may not be as relevant.

Spectrier is just your standard Ghostium set. Specs isn't as good over here due to Pursuit and the fact Blissey exists. The set provided ensures you are able to nuke anything in sight without locking into a move. Watch out for Shadow Ball Blissey however.

Landorus was made scarf here mainly for compacting an electric resist and speed control in one. It will outspeed spectrier and Mega Latias which it will hit hard with Punishment if they have set up with CM. The bulk here ensures it can will not be 2HKO'd by Pyro Ball.

Heatran is your rocker, speed outspeeds things such as Magnezone and Aegislash. It is essentially your fairy check here otherwise Magearna can effortless 6-0. Traps in mons like Pex and Clef which allow for Zarude to sweep easier as well as Mega Mawile once Pex is gone.

Zarude is essentially your Spectrier check that can heal off burns with Jungle Healing. It's EVs outspeed Jolly Garchomp. The reason it runs Darkest Lariat>Crunch is due to the recent influx of Iron Defence Skarmory. If you want you can change it to Crunch if you are really that scared of Ditto, but Darkest is stronger and beats Bulk Up and Iron Defence abusers.

Tapu Fini is your bulky water here which sort of helps against the fighting types that this team struggles against. It also functions as your Defogger and EVs are meant to outspeed Offensive Modest Heatran.

The biggest issue to this team is Mega Lopunny or Mega Medicham however you can play around both. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)