Nationals Report! (From an older VGC Competitor)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used to be extremely hardcore with the video game stuff and have since slowed down quite a bit. At the Dallas VGC I ran into a bit of bad luck so my experience there was limited. I decided to go with my new Pokemon route. The Card Game!

I started the season in January by visiting a nearby league and have had a blast with this card game ever since. Thanks to all the awesome people I’ve met in these past 6 months.

This was my first Nationals and I couldn’t be happier with how everything went. The judges were prompt and the staff was extremely helpful. I made the long drive with some friends from Texas on Wednesday. We had a wonderful time singing glee songs on the way and absolutely loved all the roadwork in Missouri. After doing a little site seeing we made our way to our hotel to meet up with everyone else in our group.

http://img256.imageshack.us/img256/4743/dscn1188f.jpg

Quick shout out to my Texas people. Some of you I already knew, and some of you I just met, but I can tell that you all are awesome people who can help me out if I am ever in a jam. I really appreciate you guys :D

I was first greeted by the giant Pikachu that is at every event. Still a cool thing to see though.

http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/7792/dscn1212s.jpg

We went to register, got our Garchomp shirts and decided to walk around the open gaming room. There were a ton of people trading and playtesting. It was so cool! I was at first intimidated by the sheer amount of people there but everyone was incredibly friendly and helpful. I did a bit of playtesting and won a few matches. I felt confident that my deck would at least be competitive.

Oh right, the deck? People may want to know what I played. By no means was it an incredible deck and I knew going in that with this being my first nationals tournament that I’d be a bit nervous. I decided to go with a deck I had made two weeks prior to the tournament. Tangrowth! This deck had some fun times at my league and I thought I’d be able to make it work.

It was basically a 3-2-2 Swallow Up line with the Xs
I ran GE Sceptile for speed with the normal Claydols and Uxies

Anyway, Time for the matches!

Round 1 vs Gardevoir/Gallade

I had an incredibly slow start and I believe I only took two prizes. His name was Michael and told me he was really good at the game after our match and that he had placed top 4 at nats two years ago. I hope he had a good time! He told me he posts here a lot.

0-1

Round 2 vs AbsolG/Snorlax/Giratina

This was a scattered match, she started with an Absol G. I started with a Treecko and went first. I had a rare candy two energy and Sceptile in my hand. I attach and pound for 10. She draws a Snowpoint temple and plays it making her Absol G have 90 HP and does a faint attack. I draw an expert belt, attach it, candy, Sceptile, grass energy, attack and flip tails. She survives! A few more turns pass and I win pretty easily. It was fun match!

1-1

Lunch break! So we decided to go to the mall food court along with everyone else and their mother. Prior to entering the mall we decide to leave our stuff in the van that brought us to the tournament. When heading back to the van to retrieve our bags/decks. I realized that another person in our group took the van to run some errands. Nooooo! I didn’t want my 3rd match to be a loss. I called him and waited outside the Convention Center. He arrived at 2:44 PM. I was in luck! I took my bag and bolted through the doors. I found my seat and as soon as I sat down the Head Judge started the round. I made it! Now what would I face?

Round 3 vs DialgaChomp

I had little experience against this deck and was a little sad that my Sceptiles pokebody would be shut down for the remainder of the match. I made a few misplays and this game was pretty much cake for my opponent. He did get to see a few swallow ups though ☺ I’m just glad I didn’t receive a game loss for being late. Thanks for being prompt on your return Phil! You rock!

Side note, this match was awesome because at one point I had only an Uxie in hand and was worried about Power Spray, so I see if he’ll allow me to cosmic power 1 for 6. He sprays, and I then set up for 7! Woot!

1-2

Round 4 vs LuxChomp

I was a little excited about this matchup as I’ve had a good amount of practice against it. We both set up pretty decently but nothing super awesome. We trade prizes and he snipes my Sceptile. If I didn’t get another Sceptile out this turn my Tangrowth would be sitting ducks! I needed that energy boost! I Night Maintenance and then cosmic and get an energy, BTS, treecko, and a sceptile! I look through my cards. Bebe’s search! Grab my grovyle and proceed to Swallow up Garchomp for another prize.

He brings up Luxray and Bright looks my Claydol. He then lays down EnteiRaikou Legend and attaches an energy and bites Claydol. I’m a little worried as we both need 3 prizes. I topdeck a switch, bring up my Belted Tangrowth X. Cosmic power and grab my last Reversal! Its heads! I pull up the ERL and Swallow up for 140 knockout :D 1 More prize, he passes and I swallow up Luxray for game!

This was one of top 3 favorite matches of the tournament.

http://img249.imageshack.us/img249/1028/dscn1250.jpg

2-2

Round 5 vs Torterra/Flygon

This match was a quick one. I set up extremely quickly and my reversals were spot on. I never got to see a Torterra since I was knocking out Grotles and Trapinch left and right.

3-2

Round 6 vs Gardevoir

I had a slow start and got obliterated. Fun match though! Glad she's being rotated out.

3-3

Round 7 vs Kingdra

This was one of my tougher matches and the last match of the day. This guy was amazing. I had never played against the LA Kingdra other than once at league so it was pretty cool to see how it works. I only remember being down with 4 prizes left against his 3 prizes. He had been spot on early game with two Super Scoop Ups to heal any damage I got to do to him. Belted Kingdra had the same amount of HP as a Belted Tangrowth X. I decided to possibly sacrifice a lone Tangela, I start start working on another Tangrowth on the bench, Tickle and paralyze!! He tries to SSU but fails and passes. I draw, do another Tickle and paralyze again! SSU again, and fails. I draw, retreat, attach belt and Swallow up for two prizes! After he draws his card the judge proceeds to call for time. This was the first time I’ve ever had a match end on time. I win!

I ended the day …

4-3

Not bad for my first day at nationals. I then hung out with some friends and went to see the movie Grown Ups. Its good, not amazing, but good!

Day 2!

Round 8 vs Steelix Prime

Ouch! That’s all I can say. This deck matchup was fun but definitely not in my favor. A stage 1 with 160 HP?! Awesome. I lose after a long healing war happens. Special Metals are too good! Congrats

4-4

Round 9 Gengar

Definitely not making top cut, but I figured I’d play it out. Why not? I faced a Gengar deck and I only take one prize but had to belt to do it and lose on the fainting spell flip. Its all downhill from there.

4-5

I had a great time! I received numerous compliments on my deck and Skitty hat. I even had a few offers to buy it right off my head. I absolutely loved every minute of it! I then had a ton of fun with league play and I even got a chance to color! I got to know a ton of people. Let me know if you recognize me!

http://img641.imageshack.us/img641/4796/dscn1253s.jpg
http://img713.imageshack.us/img713/8869/dscn1242e.jpg

Props:
Tangrowth for a decent showing
Convention Center
Food Court
League Play and a 5 win pin!
Coloring section!

Slops:
Me for almost getting a game loss for leaving a deck in the van
Little sleep
Not getting the time to meet up with my VGC buddies
Baltoy

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
I'm still pissed I didn't know you were there, we could have relived JAA!

Yeah...I definitely wouldn't have gone with Tangrowth for Nats lol.

I was gonna play the TCG as well, but figured I'd just take that day off in the end as it would have meant getting up only several hours later as I came in at 1am lol. So yeah...that and my outdated Torterra deck would have made me a nice laughingstock anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)