Nature's Fear (Now Playable!)

Approved by scpinion and imas.

Nature's Fear

Nature's Fear

A weird OM I somehow think of based on Intimidate Ability.

Rules:

1. All pokes have a special " Intimidate" on top on their ability, which means it still have their original Ability.

2. This Intimidate lowers opposing stats by 1 stage based on negative (may be changed to positive if it's better) side of the Nature. For example, if you send out a Timid natured pokemon, your opponent's Attack is lowered.

To summarize:

Bold, Modest, Calm and Timid Nature will lower opponent's Attack
Lonely, Mild, Gentle and Hasty Nature will lower opponent's Defense

Adamant, Impish, Careful and Jolly will lower opponent's Special Attack
Naughty, Lax, Rash and Naive will lower opponent's Special Defense
Brave, Relaxed, Quiet and Sassy will lower opponent's Speed

Bans and Clauses:

OU banlist

Question:

What if my mon has Intimidate? Does it stack?

Answer:

Pokemon with a native Intimidate Ability will work with the normal mechanics (lower Attack) PLUS it's stacked with a Special Intimidate from this meta, which lowers based on Nature.

For example, you have a Landorus-T with a Jolly Nature. Now it lowers Attack (due to it's native Intimidate Ability) AND Special Attack (mechanics from this meta).

Edit: Neutral Natures will NOT lower any of opponent's stats. Think of it as a way to combat Defiant/Competitive/Contrary mons.

Increase Viability:

Defiant and Competitive users.
Contrary users
Clear Body users
Walls in general
Mixed Wallbreakers
U-turn/Volt Switch Baton Pass users

This meta is now playable at dragonheaven.psim.us and rom.psim.us

Last edited:
I came here to say something most people will probably not take care of and see it as un-important, but I am gonna post it anyway..
The natures which do nothing (Like Serious) ACTUALLY should be counted and have the effects, why? They boost and decrease the same stat and that is why it doesn't change any stat, so they should be counted and decrease their negative (which is their positive), Just to help:-

Bold, Modest, Calm, Hardy and Timid Nature will lower opponent's Attack
Lonely, Mild, Gentle, Docile and Hasty Nature will lower opponent's Defense

Adamant, Impish, Careful, Bashful and Jolly will lower opponent's Special Attack
Naughty, Lax, Rash, Quirky and Naive will lower opponent's Special Defense
Brave, Relaxed, Quiet, Serious and Sassy will lower opponent's Speed

Bisharp is going to be really cool in this meta thanks to being able to lower stats and Defiant

Also the Regis may also be somewhat usable so that's nice

You could include the neutral ones and have them lower something like evasiveness or accuracy upon entry?

But yeah, Bisharp is gonna be nigh on broken this meta, Serperior will be majorly stand out too. I can see things like mixed attacking infernape being a good option due to being able to deal with those two well whilst being effective from both sides of the attacking spectrum.

Ren

i swore lips were made for lies
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
1) How will Mega Evolutions work? Will the Mega retain the new Intimidate? Will the Mega lose the Intimidate and then regain it? Will the Mega just not have an Intimidate at all?

(Retain = Lopunny is sent in, SpAtk Intimidate triggers, Lopunny Mega Evolves, nothing happens.)
(Regain = Lopunny is sent in, SpAtk Intimidate triggers, Lopunny Mega Evolves, SpAtk Intimidate triggers again.)
(Not have an Intimidate at all = Lopunny is sent in, SpAtk Intimidate triggers, Lopunny Mega Evolves, does whatever it needs to, switches out next turn, switches in turn after, nothing happens.)

2) I'm thinking we might see stuff like Hasty Phys attackers just to boost their natural damage output while maintaining their speed. Not 100% sure how viable this will be but it's something to consider I guess.

This sounds pretty cool!. I'm excited to try mega beedrill. With a hasty nature, it's a momentum fiend. If it gets in cleanly, the opponents defense if lowered. Then all you have to do is click u-turn. Whatever is in either has the option of getting hit by 150 ATk adaptability U-turn while at -1 Def or switching to something else, in which case the beedrill user just pivots out. Volt turn in general seems very powerful since hasty/naive pivots put so much more pressure on the opponent than normal.

Defiant and competitive seem pretty insane. I might actually consider running scarf meowstic...getting a free nasty plot each turn is nothing to scoff at. I'm not sold on clear body outside of maybe klink lang.

Will substitute block stat drops?

drampa's grandpa

cannonball
is a Community Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnus
Suddenly -Speed revenge killers are fast. This actually amuses me greatly.

-relevant defence attackers are going to be strong.

Ban Serperior.

I feel like Intimidate should stack, otherwise it's a completely useless ability.

Sweeps are just about impossible with so many stats being lowered.

Camden

Hey, it's me!
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I came here to say something most people will probably not take care of and see it as un-important, but I am gonna post it anyway..
The natures which do nothing (Like Serious) ACTUALLY should be counted and have the effects, why? They boost and decrease the same stat and that is why it doesn't change any stat, so they should be counted and decrease their negative (which is their positive), Just to help:-

Adamant, Impish, Careful, Bashful and Jolly will lower opponent's Special Attack
I disagree. I think there is now merit in using neutral Natures as a method of combating Contrary/Competitive/Defiant Pokemon in certain situations. They could definitely come in handy.

How does regular intimidate work? Does it function as normal whilst also having your special intimidate? Does only one intimidate work, and it lowers Attack only? Does it lower the enemy's nature's decreased stat only?

I disagree. I think there is now merit in using neutral Natures as a method of combating Contrary/Competitive/Defiant Pokemon in certain situations. They could definitely come in handy.
I get what ya mean, but I am just going with the idea of meta which is to decrease one of the opponent's stats depending on the negative of your own nature.. and the "neutral" natures actually do have a negative which is their positive, Also, if Contrary/Competitive/Defiant is going to be roaming around getting advantage of each switch while causing switches.. then their will be a problem.

I understand what you mean. But I'm gonna make the Neutral Natures stay unaffected as a possible way to check/counter Defiant/Competitive/Contrary mons.

Will substitute block stat drops?
Yes. Just like it normally blocks Intimidate.

How does regular intimidate work? Does it function as normal whilst also having your special intimidate? Does only one intimidate work, and it lowers Attack only? Does it lower the enemy's nature's decreased stat only?
Only one Intimidate works, and it lowers based on your Nature, not normally.

If that doesn't make sense, I'll change to "Pokemon with a native Intimidate Ability will work as usual (lower Attack) PLUS it's stacked with a Special Intimidate from this meta, which lowers based on Nature. So it lowers two times."

Which would you guys prefer? Stacked Intimidate or no?

Edit: Forgot about this:

1) How will Mega Evolutions work? Will the Mega retain the new Intimidate? Will the Mega lose the Intimidate and then regain it? Will the Mega just not have an Intimidate at all?

(Retain = Lopunny is sent in, SpAtk Intimidate triggers, Lopunny Mega Evolves, nothing happens.)
(Regain = Lopunny is sent in, SpAtk Intimidate triggers, Lopunny Mega Evolves, SpAtk Intimidate triggers again.)
(Not have an Intimidate at all = Lopunny is sent in, SpAtk Intimidate triggers, Lopunny Mega Evolves, does whatever it needs to, switches out next turn, switches in turn after, nothing happens.)
Mega Evolutions counts as switching in a mon. So yeah, it will retain the new Intimidate. In case you switch in a mon and then mega, it will work two times.

Reactions: Ren
This meta is neat. Something I think could be cool is wallbreakers running -Speed natures so that they can outspeed offensive mons and lay the smackdown. The downside to this is that they need to run a nature that lowers their speed, so they can't outspeed faster offensive Pokemon. Something like Mega Heracross can use it to get the jump on threats like Charizard, and all things with a similar speed tier. Or Charizard itself can use it to beat faster pokemon like Weavile, Tornadus-T, etc.

Edit:

Tyranitar @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Pursuit
- Ice Beam
- Stone Edge
- Crunch

Pursuit trapping has never been so exciting

Last edited:
After getting some feedback, I'll change the mechanics of mon that natively has Intimidate, because it makes more sense. From now on:

Pokemon with a native Intimidate Ability will work with the normal mechanics (lower Attack) PLUS it's stacked with a Special Intimidate from this meta, which lowers based on Nature.

For example, you have a Landorus-T with a Jolly Nature. Now it lowers Attack (due to it's native Intimidate Ability) AND Special Attack (mechanics from this meta).

Also I forgot to put banlist. It's OU banlist btw.

Here I am
Code:
{
     name: "Nature's Fear",
     section: "New Other Metagames",
     ruleset:['OU'],
     desc: ["&bullet; <a href=\"http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/natures-fear.3584688/\">Nature's Fear</a>"],
     onSwitchIn: function (pokemon) {
       let foeactive = pokemon.side.foe.active, nature = {};
       if(!this.getNature(pokemon.set.nature).minus) return;
       nature[this.getNature(pokemon.set.nature).minus]=-1;
       let activated = false;
       for (let i = 0; i < foeactive.length; i++) {
         if (!foeactive[i] || !this.isAdjacent(foeactive[i], pokemon)) continue;
         if (!activated) {
           this.add('-ability', pokemon, 'Nature\'s Fear', 'boost');
           activated = true;
         }
         if (foeactive[i].volatiles['substitute']) {
           this.add('-immune', foeactive[i], '[msg]');
         } else {
           this.boost(nature, foeactive[i], pokemon);
         }
       }
     },
     onAfterMega: function (pokemon) {
       if(!this.getNature(pokemon.set.nature).minus) return;
       nature[this.getNature(pokemon.set.nature).minus]=-1;
       let activated = false;
         if (!activated) {
           activated = true;
         }
         } else {
         }
       }
     },
},
Please VM me if you find bugs
Replay 1 (against a bot): http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/dragonheaven-naturesfear-4331
Replay 2 (against a real human): http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/dragonheaven-naturesfear-4332
Pls ban Bisharp/Defiant/Competitive
EDIT: Also Playable on ROM!

Last edited:

david0895

Mercy Main Btw
Here I am
Code:
{
     desc: ["&bullet; <a href=\"http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/natures-fear.3584688/\">Nature's Fear</a>"],
       if(!pokemon.battle.getNature(pokemon.set.nature).minus) return;
       nature[pokemon.battle.getNature(pokemon.set.nature).minus]=-1;
       let activated = false;
         if (!activated) {
           activated = true;
         }
         } else {
         }
       }
     },
       let activated = false;
         if (!activated) {
           activated = true;
         }
         } else {
         }
       }
     },
},
Replay1 (against a bot): http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/dragonheaven-naturesfear-4331
Ok we definitely need to Quickban Bisharp!

Here I am
Code:
{
       let activated = false;
         if (!activated) {
           activated = true;
         }
         } else {
         }
       }
     },
       let activated = false;
         if (!activated) {
           activated = true;
         }
         } else {
         }
       }
     },
},
Replay 1 (against a bot): http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/dragonheaven-naturesfear-4331
Replay 2 (against a real human): http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/dragonheaven-naturesfear-4332
Wow. Thank you SO much guys for making this playable. I definitely appreciate your effort.

This meta is now playable at dragonheaven.psim.us

Ok we definitely need to Quickban Bisharp!
I won't ban anything until it's properly tested. Use Neutral natures to combat Defiant/Competitive/Contrary mons for now.

Yeah, I think Bisharp does need to be banned since it has nearly unstoppable priority sucker punch and resists most other priority that would outspeed it, such as brave bird and extreme speed.

iLlama

Nothing personal, I protect my people
This seems like a pretty interesting tier. I can't wait to try it out and abuse the hell out of Wigglytuff Bisharp!

Trapping, trapping, trapping, trapping, trapping. Did I mention trapping yet? It breaks symmetry just like Defiant and Contrary -- except instead of turning drops into boosts, you delay the erasure of opposing drops until after you've secured that KO, sorta like how Dugtrio can viably run Screech. Bisharp also gets Pursuit.

Uh, Bisharp answers... Dugtrio might work, scarfed Dark resists could nab a KO by baiting an Iron Head. Quiet Unaware Clefable in grab a KO with Focus Blast or some other coverage while eating the Sucker Punch. Quagsire will work umtil people wise up and run Grass Knot. A sash will do the trick if you keep hazards away.

And while y'all are overpreparing for Bisharp, I'll be over here, breaking shit with Braviary. And also Eruption on my Quiet Heatran, but more because it's fun. 3x Defiant/Competitive/Contrary + 2x trappers +1x support looks like a strong strategy.

sin(pi)

lucky n bad
Infernape @ Leftovers
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 248 HP / 88 Def / 16 SpA / 124 SpD / 44 Spe
Bashful Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Slack Off
- Taunt
- Fire Blast

EVs let you switch into any Bisharp, outspeed (even Jolly) and OHKO with Fire Blast (or you can Wisp it, but beware of Lum). Nature means you don't have to deal with +2 attacks unless they SD, but you easily take a +2 LO Sucker and that play still loses to Wisp. Only coverage Bish has is ZHB but "lol". Also soft checks Serperior, though LO, HP Ground, and Subseed variants can give you trouble so it's not the best switchin.

252 SpA Serperior Leaf Storm vs. 248 HP / 120 SpD Infernape: 84-99 (23.6 - 27.8%) -- possible 5HKO after Leftovers recovery
16 SpA Infernape Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Serperior: 258-306 (88.6 - 105.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

252+ Atk Life Orb Bisharp Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 248 HP / 80 Def Infernape: 131-155 (36.9 - 43.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock
16 SpA Infernape Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Bisharp: 336-396 (100.5 - 118.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Hazard stack + spinblocker will also be much better, as defog is a liability with Bisharp, Serp and Braviary running/slithering/flying around. Mega Blastoise might be the best spinner because of that, as it beats ghosts with Dark Pulse.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)