SM OU Need help optimizing my first team <3

Hi all, I'm not sure I'm in the right spot but here goes anyway:
So after a very very loooong time lurking and playing random battles exclusively I decided to finally get into OU and building in general.
After now 20 battles with my first team that I've kind of thrown together while explaining tiering, metas and all facets of competitive play to a friend, I was a bit surprised that I might not be too bad at this as my record is 18-2 right now (but considering this was low ladder I might as well be terrible, feel free to curb my pride).

I decided to build around a CelePex core considering I knew it was effective and went from there to build a balance team (I guess), also I love both these mons so might as well use them. I then added scarf Jirachi bc it's cute, I love serene grace and I knew I would end up needing speed control. For a mega + rocks I went with Diancie, Fight Z Tornadus-T for hazard control and I rounded out the team with Bulk Up Bulu.

As for the sets:

Toxapex (F) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Toxic Spikes
- Haze
- Scald
- Recover

Celesteela @ Leftovers
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 HP / 120 Def / 56 SpA / 80 SpD
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Air Slash
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Flamethrower

Jirachi @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Healing Wish
- Iron Head
- Ice Punch
- Zen Headbutt

Diancie-Mega @ Diancite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 100 Atk / 156 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Moonblast
- Stealth Rock
- Diamond Storm
- Earth Power

Tornadus-Therian @ Fightinium Z
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Knock Off
- Defog
- Superpower

Tapu Bulu @ Leftovers
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Bulk Up
- Horn Leech
- Wood Hammer
- Stone Edge

Originally Torn was Rocky Helmet and Bulu ran superpower over Stone miss.

Like I said, so far this works well. But I already realized some glaring flaws. For one Diancie has been quite a disappointment so far as it's so frail that it can barely switch into weak neutral attacks without risking itself getting killed which often results in me not getting rocks up all game, I also have a hard time abusing Magic Bounce because it straight up loses to a lot of common rockers like Lando or Ferrothorn. What I also realized is how badly prepared I am for electric types. Koko, Rotom and especially Zapdos are giving me a really hard time as my only check is Bulu which puts me under a lot of pressure to keep Bulu alive during a game because it's also my only true water check and once he's burned it might be over. I also find myself rarely clicking bulk up and would like to know if it would be a good idea to change his set.
Torn-T in most instances puts in decent work but I rarely find opportunities to defog for some reason and I felt like the helmet might've been a better item on him to adequately chip on stuff like Lando. I also REALLY miss hurricane at times but I don't want to build a team without a Knock Off user.
Celesteela is probably the mon that puts in the most work in my battles. In part because its my best answer for opposing Celesteelas, while checking lots of other bothersome steel types like Ferro and Kartana. I really like Air Slash on it because nobody seems to expect it but I'm starting to think it might be redundant with flamethrower on it already. Like with Bulu I feel pressured to keep it alive in most battles and would like to lift some work off of it.
Jirachi works really really well in securing wins with flinchhax and catching Landos offguard with Ice Punch. I also ran into a lot of situation where I was really glad I put Zen on it. But I wished I could also run thunder Punch and Fire Punch on it, I also never clicked Healing Wish so far but I guess I'll be glad it's there when I need it.
Pex does Pex things and is my best and only Ninja answer.
I can also see fire types becoming problematic down the line but I didn't run into many as of now (except for that one surprisingly annoying AlolanWak).

Any thoughts on how to improve this? I obviously also need help with EV spreads as I absolutely do not know what I'm doing there, The Steela and Diancie spreads look like they serve a purpose but I was honestly pretty much randomizing those lol.
I think getting rid of Diancie sounds like a good start as I just won't get it to work properly, maybe Tornadus as well for coverage purposes. i don't wanna play without a Mega so I thought maybe Tyranitar or Latios sound good. I could keep Ground coverage and maybe slam Ice Beam on Latios and free up a slot on Jirachi with it, it could also serve as my defogger. Tyranitar on the other hand could be a decent Rocker on that team (that still loses to Lando) and I think Sand might fit quite well since the rest of the team isn't bothered by it. The last slot is harder. Z Lando seems like a good choice that would immensely improve my electric matchup but for some reason I just don't want to use it. D:

Well those are my thoughts, I hope I covered everything and would greatly appreciate any input on sets, mons, moves, items etc. :D

Love, Perry

(Off Topic: where do you guys get alle the sprites from? Finding those was quite a bother and I didn't even find the Shiny ones. Is there a database of some kind?)

737373elj

Banned deucer.
(Off Topic: where do you guys get alle the sprites from? Finding those was quite a bother and I didn't even find the Shiny ones. Is there a database of some kind?)
Lol I also cannot find the shiny sprites and yes, there is a database right here.

Just saying, you need at least 3 lines of description for all your mons unless you want the tread to get locked. Or did you put it in already?

And some advice: Diancie-Mega could potentially put Zapdos in a tight situation with Diamond Storm being SE, and Earth Power can technically deal a lot of damage to Electric-types. Other Electric-types may need other Pokemon depending. For Koko use Jirachi or Steela, Rotom is Bulu.

I really suggest using the Rocky Helmet set on Torn as Superpower is already on Bulu and it still gives you all the roles the original Z had. It also frees up Air Slash on Steela, if you want to replace it :)

And I don’t know if I should replace anything on this team. In all honesty, it seems great. But if you really really really have to replace something, consider Tran or Lando.

Hope this helped!

Edit: Just remembered, it would be easier to understand you team and why you placed mon X there if you elaborated on their roles. Just saying! :)

Lol I also cannot find the shiny sprites and yes, there is a database right here.
Thanks a bunch, bookmarked right away <3

Just saying, you need at least 3 lines of description for all your mons unless you want the tread to get locked. Or did you put it in already?
My bad, I should've read the rules first, honestly thought my wall of text would suffice lol. will edit

And some advice: Diancie-Mega could potentially put Zapdos in a tight situation with Diamond Storm being SE, and Earth Power can technically deal a lot of damage to Electric-types. Other Electric-types may need other Pokemon depending. For Koko use Jirachi or Steela, Rotom is Bulu.

I really suggest using the Rocky Helmet set on Torn as Superpower is already on Bulu and it still gives you all the roles the original Z had. It also frees up Air Slash on Steela, if you want to replace it :)

And I don’t know if I should replace anything on this team. In all honesty, it seems great. But if you really really really have to replace something, consider Tran or Lando.
The problem about Diancie is that her bulk is just so terrible, hard switching into Zapdos works like once, Zapdos will most likely Volt switch and I didn't do any damage to it and I feel I just really need another way of dealing with electrics in general, I know Lando would do probably great but I just don't want to use it lol.

Jirachi is indeed my best offensive Koko answer, but Steela doesn't really sound like a good idea against Koko, no? And with Rotom I'm just constantly scared of getting my Bulu wisped lol but yeah ofc he's my go to switch in.

Will put the Helmet back on my Torn and replace Air slash with Flash cannon on Steela.

Edit: Just remembered, it would be easier to understand you team and why you placed mon X there if you elaborated on their roles. Just saying! :)
I really didn't think much about roles while building outside of a rocker a scarfer and a defogger, I just wanted to show my friend how to build a team because she asked for it and ended up with this but I'll try to edit in something in retrospective :)

Thanks a lot for your input, appreciate it. <3

EDIT: While editing my original post I decided to rebuild and test out a few things on my own (first I'll switch Diancie and Torn with Gliscor and a very cheesy Mega Latias set lol), so this can get locked. <3

Last edited:
Air slash with Flash cannon on Steela.
I'd use Heavy Slam instead. Even with your jank EV spread with SpA investment and a Modest nature, Heavy Slam is still stronger.

0- Atk Celesteela Heavy Slam (120 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mew: 118-139 (34.6 - 40.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
56+ SpA Celesteela Flash Cannon vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mew: 106-126 (31 - 36.9%) -- 72.3% chance to 3HKO

Additionally, the main Pokemon Celesteela is supposed to check have good special bulk but poor physical bulk, making Heavy Slam even more valuable.

0- Atk Celesteela Heavy Slam (120 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Tapu Lele: 296-350 (105.3 - 124.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
56+ SpA Celesteela Flash Cannon vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Tapu Lele: 186-222 (66.1 - 79%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

0- Atk Celesteela Heavy Slam (120 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Alakazam-Mega: 166-196 (66.1 - 78%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
56+ SpA Celesteela Flash Cannon vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Alakazam-Mega: 102-121 (40.6 - 48.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Finally, I'd replace your random EV spread with the standard spread to help better check these dangerous Psychics while still avoiding getting OHKO'd by Mega Medicham's High Jump Kick.

Celesteela @ Leftovers
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 248 HP / 28 Def / 232 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Heavy Slam
- Flamethrower

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)