SM OU Need improvements on my sticky web team

Pretty new to the game and created a team out of my favorite pokemons, tried to climb a bit but the higher I get the more I find flaws in my team but I myself can't fix it.

1548679976232.png

Galvantula @ Focus Sash
Ability: Compound Eyes
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe | Naive
- Sticky Web
- Volt Switch
- Thunder
- Hidden Power Ice

This is my main and only sticky web setter, usually the lead too. Most of the times I throw it in set up sticky web and switch out if possible, if not I will just spam Thunder or Hidden Power Ice for type coverage. He deals suprisingly good damage and can kill many in 1 hit if need be. Pretty much your average Galvantula sticky webber.

1548680333433.png

Gardevoir @ Gardevorite (or whatever it's called)
Ability: Trace -> Pixilate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe | Timid
- Hyper Voice
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast
- Calm Mind

The one who benefits the most out of sticky web the most in my team I guess, your everyday mega gardevoir sweeper. I like using gardevoir over Alakazam because of his and yes HIS fairy type spamming, better than psychic moves spamming imo and hyper voice devastate subtitute users too so that's a plus for me. Psyshock is to deals with high SpD pokemons, I choose calm mind last so I will have more options during battle (predict a protect or something).

1548680601501.png

Ninetales-Alola @ Light Clay
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe | Timid or 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 Spe | Timid
- Aurora Veil
- Hail
- Freeze-dry
- Nasty Plot / Hypnosis

The most interesting one imo but at the same time I feel like he's the most out of place in the team. Most of the time I go for SpA EVs since I want his ability to check bulky water and dragon in 1 or 2 hits with freeze-dry and just aurora veil for the team (mostly for lucario my physical sweeper). I feel like his stats overall is really painful to use properly since he barely able to take a hit or just downright die with sweeper evs or damage-wise kind of useless if not fighting water type with hp evs. I sometimes switch out hypnosis because of the low accuracy really consistently salt me up (get it? low accuracy and consistent?). Also I pick Hail so sometimes I wouldn't have to switch him out but honestly I have rarely ever use it so I might need a better move in that slot.

1548681327982.png

Serperior @ Leftovers
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 56 HP / 200 SpA / 252 Spe | Timid
- Leaf Storm (Serperior and Leaf Storm OTP)
- Substitute
- Hidden Power Fire
- Glare

The one that holds my team together like glue, if it gets kill easily without doing its job (checking steel type and bulky grass type or taking out a few pokemons) my team usually gonna lose that match. With Serperior I can counter other sticky web teams with contrary, taking out bulky grass type and so on. Hidden Power Fire for type coverage and Serperior is the only one in the team that runs any fire move at all and without some stats up from leaf storm Hidden Power Fire can never sweep or take out bulky grass type, not even Ferrothorn who has x4 weakness. Glare is for Paralyze utilities and sometimes setting up for other sweeper to come in and continue where it left of.

1548681723312.png

Lucario @ Life Orb
Ability: Stead Fast
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe | Jolly
- Sword Dance
- Close Combat
- Bullet Punch / Extreme Speed
- Meteor Mash

My only physical sweeper and only steel typing too, pretty much your run of the mill Lucario in OU. I'm thinking of putting in a drain punch too but I really don't know where to put it in. Meteor Mash for steel type move coverage and if I get lucky it will boost my stat, Sword dance is for setting up, Close Combat is fighting move coverage and has some really nice damage that will always leave a dent unless the enemies has resistance against it. I don't run Choice items because I have more freedom over Lucario during sweepind, I wouldn't want it to get stuck with a ghost type pokemon and close combat. And honestly I feel like Lucario doesn't need the boost from choice items.

1548681968164.png

Swampert @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 240 HP / 16 Atk / 252 Def | Impish
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Scald
- Roar

My favorite pokemon, my childhood and nostalgia. He's what I would use to check physical sweeper and setting up stealth rock, heattran killer and my other lead in case I feel like it is not necessary to setting up sticky web and stealth rock is more important. My complaint is that he does not have a good recovery move on his belt to be a more effective stall/wall. Earthquake is for Ground move and Stab damage and make use of his good Atk stats, Scald is for burn and water STAB even though most of the times it doesn't exactly deals any good damage. Roar gives a lot of options and utilities for me and also for messing up the enemies switch-in, since Swampert has bad speed stats most of the time he's gonna move after the opponents anyway so the -1 priority doesn't hurt it either. I also roar out any enemies that would give me a hard time like a flying type or bulky grass (depends on the situation).

So a few things I've noticed while playing is that my team lacks of good fire moves except for Serperior and without setting it up with leaf storm, serperior cannot hidden power fire effectively either so usually a good read and toxic bomb slude wave whatever or a fire move onto my serperior and that game is pretty much it.
I've also noticed that a combination of toxic stealth rock just take out basically half of my team's health after 1 or 2 turns. I'm thinking of sending in a rapid spinner like Excadrill in (since he also has steel typing so he wouldn't get toxic so that's a plus) or going for a dumber option of heal bell but I'm not exactly sure who or what to replace it with (probably ninetales).
My team also lacks capability to revenge kill a faster sweeper pokemon that is somehow still faster than most of my team even with/without sticky web or through setting it up.

PS: If there are any typos or if I use a term wrongly please excuse me because I didn't bother to turn on Grammarly and I've also only started playing pokemon competitively a week ago.

Last edited:
Hi man. I can tell you some options to improve your team.
First of all you have two much better web seter in Sm ou. And remember: the idea about play web is get advantage for your powerfull mons. For this you should use offensive mons for this play style is got success.

Ribombee @ Focus Sash
Ability: Shield Dust
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Sticky Web
- Moonblast
- Hidden Power Fire
- Stun Spore

Sash to always live a hit. Speed to outspeed Torna-T and Ninja. SWeb obv. Hp fire to hit Ferro/Scizor and another steels. Stun Spore to get para against a lot of mons and finally moon as a stab move usefull specially vs Gren/Medicham/Hera.

Shuckle @ Mental Herb
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 168 Def / 88 SpD
IVs: 0 Spe
Relaxed Nature
- Sticky Web
- Stealth Rock/Final Gambit
- Encore
- Toxic

Mental Herb to avoid fast taunt. ST the most used move in this game. Final gambit to get a lot of damage and chose your next mon winning momentum. Encore is usefull Vs Set up sweepers. And finally rock or toxic to cheap threats.

Tapu Lele is definitely a better option than MGardevoir. With she you get a lot of offensive power and most important the posibility of cancel priorities like water shuriken/bullet punch/Fake out or Quick attack.

You can see her most used sets here: https://www.smogon.com/dex/sm/pokemon/tapu_lele/

Veil+Web is not common and I think is beco usually both depend a lot of the rest of the team. So If you use both you gonna lose power.

About the rest of the teams the most used mons on web are Mimikyu as a reven killer and spin blocker. Pinsir Mega, Herracross mega and Kyurem Black as a physical wallbreaker. Serperior as a good glue. Magearna Shift Gear as a p nice set up sweeper and most important Steel type. Suicide lead Lando and Protean spikes ninja as suicide to get hazards and get some kill. And Finally mons like Xurkee or Manaphy taking advantage from the speed drop to do set up clean.

Btw here you can find the viable mons to play in ou sm:
https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/usum-ou-ultra-viability-ranking-thread.3621329/

Edit: this is other option as a web setter

Araquanid @ Focus Sash
Ability: Water Bubble
EVs: 216 HP / 252 Atk / 40 SpA
Brave Nature
- Sticky Web
- Liquidation
- Magic Coat
- Hidden Power Fire

Last edited:
Thanks, these are some really great ideas and it is true that sometimes my Galvantula fails to set up sticky web because of taunt but that is rarely the case due to Galvantula's good speed stats so I think I would swap him out. As for replacement for veil I don't think I quite get what you are telling me to do (I know i shouldn't keep veil though), should I switch him out for listed physical wallbreaker?

Also my most important question is how Mimikyu a good revenge killer? I would like to know the stratergy and logic behind it. I'm seriously considering switching out ninetales for Mimikyu.

As for Gardevoir's replacement, I also considering that but honestly I would like to keep the team as close to the original as possible unless it is a very weak link like Ninetales. It also gives me this underdog vibe rather than playing with the meta but thanks for those ideas though.

And optional questions, should I let sticky web setter die or suicide lead after sucessfully sweeping or try to switch it out especially if it still has full health and focus sash. Also is it an overkill to have Tapu Lele and a MGardevoir in the same team?

Also my most important question is how Mimikyu a good revenge killer? I would like to know the stratergy and logic behind it. I'm seriously considering switching out ninetales for Mimikyu.
Yo, mimikyu is a good RKiller because he can always live a hit. Making possible for mimikyu to get kills vs mons faster than him.

Mimikyu @ Life Orb / Z Move
Ability: Disguise
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Shadow Sneak
- Play Rough
- Shadow Claw

And optional questions, should I let sticky web setter die or suicide lead after sucessfully sweeping or try to switch it out especially if it still has full health and focus sash. Also is it an overkill to have Tapu Lele and a MGardevoir in the same team?
About the leads you should think if he’s gonna be usefull in the future or is better let him die and get momentum.
And no. Is not overkill to have Tapu lele and Gardevoir in the same team but imo MZam>Garde with Lele.

As for replacement for veil I don't think I quite get what you are telling me to do (I know i shouldn't keep veil though), should I switch him out for listed physical wallbreaker?
Is not an obligation repace ninetales to a physical wallbreaker but I think is the better option if you wanna do your teams more solid.

So after messing around with Ninetales replacement for awhile, I have tried both Mimikyu and Excadrill. Consistent wise I think it gets a whole lot better now, right now I prefer Excadrill more than Mimikyu due to his rapid spin and immune to toxic because toxic spikes actually screw up my team. His good atk speed stats and slap on a focus sash makes him an ok-ish revenge if need be (not as good as mimikyu obviously).

Currently my biggest threat would be Ferrothorn and I have no one to reliably check it, usually I just keep on denting it till it dies or something. Mostly using Lucario and close combat but honestly even then I'm not sure if I can one shot it and it could just heal it up a bit with giga drain and takes a chunk of health off Lucario.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)