Other New Notable Egg Move Combos

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am really excited for Azumarill this gen. Pair it with Mega Gengar or Wobbuffet to encore into a non attacking move or a move that would barely damage Azumarill and then switch to Azu, Belly Drum and proceed to wreak havoc. Or you could just switch into a dragon attack and then belly drum. Either way Azumarill is going to be extremely powerful.

Took some time but I was able to hook this Roselia up with four egg moves at the same time. I'm debating keeping Leaf Storm or replacing it with Giga Drain since I'm going for a defensive Dual Spikes Sleep set set here but at least I can go back and change it later if I seriously have to. Give it a look. Speaking of which, why doesn't Roserade have a thread on here yet? Its got alot of new combos now.

Wish I Had a Drum
Clefable@Life Orb

Adamant, Magic Guard
252 HP 252 Attack 4 Speed
-Play Rough
-Knock Off
-Wish
-Belly Drum

The concept is simple enough: use Wish, then Belly Drum, and suddenly the turn you lose half your health, it comes right back. With a little prediction you have all the positives and none of the negatives of Belly Drum; moreover, if you mono-attack and throw Protect in there, you can play mindgames and ease prediction.

Edit: Doesn't get Play Rough :(

Last edited:

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Added Rapid Spin + Haze Tentacruel on the list.

Also, JayHankEdLyon, Clefable doesn't learn Play Rough but you are right that Wish + Belly Drum are now compatible together. Adding and thx!

Last edited:
Blastoise (or Wartortle in NU) has good egg moves for a supporting role : Haze, Foresight (for safe spinning), Mirror coat and Yawn. Now we're sure any combination of these moves are legal.
They're also all legal with rain dish now.

Whimsicott can use Switcheroo + Encore (once Pokebank comes out). I'll post/edit if I think of more. Edit: Also, Munchlax can have Pursuit & Selfdestruct.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Thx guys! Added both Blastoise and Whimsicott, and also Kabutops (Rapid Spin + Foresight).

EDIT: Added Pursuit + Selfdestruct for Snorlax too.

Last edited:
If you happen to like that ice-cream thing, Vanilluxe, the good news is that now you can use Autotomise, Water Pulse, and Ice Shard all on the same set instead of choosing one (edit: you could have Water Pulse with IS but not with Autotomise, which you couldn't have with the other two.)

The only downside is you have to use Vanilluxe.

^ I lol'd at the last sentence.

On topic: Although probably minor, Murkrow & Honchkrow could use Perish Song + Brave Bird now.
Edit: Also, Machamp can have Bullet Punch & Encore.

Last edited:
Though it's barely worth mentioning, but Ursaring has slightly better coverage and power with Crunch + Close Combat, rather than resorting to shadow claw to hit ghost types or earthquake + crunch.

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Though it's barely worth mentioning, but Ursaring has slightly better coverage and power with Crunch + Close Combat, rather than resorting to shadow claw to hit ghost types or earthquake + crunch.
What? There are several ways Ursaring can get Crunch + Close Combat, like Lucario, Granbull, and Arcanine. And there's also Smeargle.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I guess it's as noteworthy as Victrebel at least, but Chlorophyll Venusaur now can use Power Whip while outpacing stuff in the sun (for 4 turns... lol...).

This might become completely irrelevant though, if Mega Venusaur keeps Venusaur's usage out of a tier where it might be able to take advantage of its new whipping abilities.

edit:

Also, if you love trolling people and want to just be an UTTER douchebag, Kingdra can now use Dragonbreath + Octozooka (or Muddy Water)

Can you image how terrible this one have been with 5th gen mechanics?

Kingdra
Timid
Swift Swim
252 SPE, 252 Sp.A or HP, 4 Sp.A or HP
@ Leftovers
-Octozooka (or Muddy Water)
-Dragonbreath
-Substitute
-Water Pulse / Scald

With Dragonbreath paralyzing ANYTHING, and having that infinite rain to stay ahead of the enemy and keep firing off this haxy crap. Would have been gloriously terrible (in Ubers anyway).

Last edited:
Dunno if people care about Cradily at all, but it looks like it can get both Recover + SR and Recover + Curse on the same set now, for what that's worth.

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Dunno if people care about Cradily at all, but it looks like it can get both Recover + SR and Recover + Curse on the same set now, for what that's worth.
Curse + Recover can already be inherited via a chain-bred Corsola, while the only parents that can learn SR require a move tutor anyway (meaning Cradily also already gets SR + Recover by having a father Corsola learn Recover and tutored SR).

alphatron

Volt turn in every tier! I'm in despair!
In crobat's section, it states that he can now use a boosted hypnosis. But hypnosis still has 60 accuracy in this game.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
Both Vanilluxe and Unfezant are terrible Pokemon and didn't even get any usage in NU last gen, so i am not going to mention them. Thanks for the input anyway!

Also, remember that you can also talk about the effects that those new egg move combos will have on each Pokemon's performance in whichever metagame you think they will end up.

To be fair Vanilluxe just got Freeze Dry, which helps with his limited coverage on top of the changes mentioned here. He's pretty improved all in all.

I know we aren't supposed to talk about new egg moves, but I think this qualifies as a combination. Chansey now gets Seismic Toss via egg move. Question: Does Happiny get it too? Because if it does, then Chansey can now have Seismic Toss AND Charm simultaneously, something that couldn't be done before.
Edit: Also, Cherrim can get Heal Pulse + Weather Ball (as soon as the bank opens)

Last edited:

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
I think that Knock Off + Dragon Dance wasn't possible in 5th gen while it is now, which is amazing news with the Knock Off buff. Crawdaunt will be amazing in UU or RU, as all three of its sets (Swords Dance, Dragon Dance, Choice Band) got vastly improved with the Knock Off buff, Crabhammer buff, addition of Aqua Jet to Crawdaunt's movepool, and the offensive buff to Dark-type moves (meaning that Empoleon and Ferrothorn no longer resist Crawdaunt's STABs).

I think that Knock Off + Dragon Dance wasn't possible in 5th gen while it is now, which is amazing news with the Knock Off buff. Crawdaunt will be amazing in UU or RU, as all three of its sets (Swords Dance, Dragon Dance, Choice Band) got vastly improved with the Knock Off buff, Crabhammer buff, addition of Aqua Jet to Crawdaunt's movepool, and the offensive buff to Dark-type moves (meaning that Empoleon and Ferrothorn no longer resist Crawdaunt's STABs).
Wasn't Knock Off a tutor move, though?

Magmortar can now legally have Mach Punch and Belly Drum. This is great for RU. It might be a gimmick set, but it is a good gimmick.

Magmortar is already extremely capable of forcing switch-outs, but now his opponent will have to guess if Magmortar is going to throw a ridiculously powerful Fire Blast or if he's going to Belly Drum. While Magmortar's base Attack (95) and Speed (83) are average by RU standards, he still packs enough punch after a Belly Drum to ourtright outspeed and OHKO over half of the tier. For a single Pokemon, I'd say that's not bad.

Volcano Drummer
Magmortar @ Fist Plate
Vital Spirit
Jolly | 4 HP | 252 Atk | 252 Spe
- Belly Drum
- Mach Punch
- Fire Punch
- Earthquake

Magmortar now makes a fantastic cleaner thanks to being able to use Belly Drum alongside Mach Punch. The setup is simple. First, get Stealth Rock on the field. Second, swap Magmortar in on something that he threatens. Third, use Belly Drum as your opponent switches out. Fourth, sweep the entire enemy team and laugh as you do so.

You actually don't need Mach Punch to make this set happen, but with rocks support, it allows Magmortar to eliminate faster threats that would normally revenge him, such as Aerodactyl and Archeops, as well as random scarfed slower Mons with a Fighting weakness or bad Defense.

+6 252 Atk Fist Plate Magmortar Mach Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Archeops: 239-282 (82.13 - 96.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
+6 252 Atk Fist Plate Magmortar Mach Punch vs. 0 HP / 0- Def Aerodactyl: 266-314 (88.37 - 104.31%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
+6 252 Atk Fist Plate Magmortar Mach Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Typhlosion: 207-244 (69.69 - 82.15%) -- 56.25% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
+6 252 Atk Fist Plate Magmortar Mach Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Manectric: 253-298 (90.03 - 106.04%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

Anything slower than Magmortar is absolutely obliterated by Fire Punch. I'm not even going to bother with the calcs because I think it's pretty easy to imagine how much pain this guy dishes out when he gets his STAB.

Jolly vs. Adamant: The only real benefit you get by going Adamant over Jolly is being able to get an 100% to OHKO Typhlosion after Stealth Rock with Mach Punch. By going Jolly over Adamant, you get to outspeed Feraligatr, Gallade, Medicham, Absol's Sucker Punch, and weird Qwilfish variants which I think is worth it.

Earthquake vs. Alternatives: Earthquake allows you to OHKO kill Qwilfish, Lanturn, Slowking, Emboar, and Druddigon, making it vastly superior to his other options. Thunder Punch is bad because it will only allow you to OHKO Qwilfish, Feraligatr, and Poliwrath, and since Feraligatr is just going to Aqua Jet and kill you anyways and Poliwrath isn't that popular (from what I know), you're better off with EQ. Faint Attack is bad because it only gives you a 75% chance to OHKO Dusknoir (as opposed to the 37.5% chance from Fire Punch) and a 25% chance to kill Uxie (who outspeeds you and kills you anyways). Rock Slide is maybe the most viable alternative, as it will still allow you to kill Emboar and also allow you to kill Crustle after Stealth Rock, but Earthquake is generally still a superior pick.

The reason why I say that this version of Magmortar is a cleaner and not a sweeper is because his counters are pretty popular. Volcano Drummer's hardest counter is Unaware Quagsire. There is literally nothing you can do against that thing. This Magmortar also has trouble dealing with Accelgor, Whimsicott (due to Encore), Durant, Galvantula, Scyther, Entei, Sigilyph, Drapion, Uxie, Rotom, Feraligatr (because it probably has Aqua Jet) and Moltres, (who all outspeed Magmortar and KO him due to only being at 50% HP from Belly Drum) as well as Dusknoir (without Faint Attack) and Unaware Clefable (who will survive one/two of Magmortar's attacks and then OHKO/2HKO him back). Although this list of counters is fairly large, remember again that this is only ~29% of the Mons in the meta, and while all of them are of varying popularity, your average balanced team will (statistically-speaking) only have 1.74 of them on their team, meaning all you have to do is eliminate your foe's 1 or 2 counters and then you can sweep the rest (though I still prefer to call this cleaning).

Remember, again, that this is assuming that all of your opponent's Mons took NO damage prior to one Stealth Rock, which means that if you can actually land prior damage on many of the above Mons (aside from that first SR, of course), you can outspeed with Mach Punch for an KO. Therefore, this variant of Magmortar works really well on SubSeed or RoarTalk teams that are designed to spread damage among the enemy's team. Some really good teammates for Magmortar are Whimsicott and Steelix, as well as Rhydon and Quagsire to bait Grass-type attackers or Clefable to bait Steel-type attackers (Clefable can also put up Screens to help Magmortar come in).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)