SS OU New OU Team

I'm new to competetive battling, and not really good at it, so this is my attempt at a team. I made it to around 1300 elo with it. Here it is:
golisopod.png

Golisopod @ Choice Band
Ability: Emergency Exit
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Def
Adamant Nature
- First Impression
- Aqua Jet
- Liquidation
- Sucker Punch
Golisopod- Golisopod's main purpose on the team is for a dragapult and excadrill counter. Sucker Punch has 88% chance to OHKO specs dragapult calc and aqua jet is guarenteed to 2HKO sash drill and 25% to OHKO other offensive set. First impression can also do considerable damage to ferrothorn, and can kill if it is worn down late game, around 55%. Lastly, Liquidation can put a serious dent in any switchins that are neutral and even some that resist.
sigilyph.png

Sigilyph @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Psychic
- Air Slash
- Heat Wave
- Roost
Sigilyph- Sigilyth's main role on the team is an anti-lead to counter excadrill with heat wave. HW is a guaranteed OHKO w/o sash and is immune to earthquake. If the drill is holding a sash, a switch into Bisharp will eat a rock slide or tomb and golisopod will eat an iron head. Both can then retaliate with a sucker punch/aqua jet respectively. Sigilyph can also put a serious dent in toxapex and scare out certain Hawlucha sets. Life Orb boosts attacks by 30% and magic guard negates the recoils from that.
bisharp.png

Bisharp @ Black Glasses
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Throat Chop
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch
- Stealth Rocks
Bisharp- Bisharp in OU is a beast. After a defiant boost from webs, Bisharp can OHKO a scary amount of the metagame. For those it doesn't outspeed, it carries sucker punch, which can OHKO even resists. Black Glasses are to boost throat chop and sucker punch even further without the recoil of life orb and the restrictions of choice items. Stealth rocks is to break sashes and get chip on corviknight and mandibuzz. Leading with bisharp against teams with Conkeldurr is not reccomended, as it carries mach punch. Against teams with excadrill and conk, lead with Sigilyph
cinderace.png

Cinderace @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Blaze
Jolly Nature
- Pyro Ball
- High Jump Kick
- Court Change
- U-turn
Cinderace- Cinderace's obvious role on the team is to switch in on hazard setters like ferrothorn and court change. Pyro ball forces a sack, switch, or protect, so unless the switch is predicted, you get free hazards. Cinderace can also be a threat late game with its high speed OHKOing excadrill after hazards to break sash and can force other mons like non-scarf Hydreigon with Hi Jump Kick.
dugtrio.png

Dugtrio @ Focus Sash
Ability: Arena Trap
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Reversal
- Sucker Punch
- Screech
Dugtrio- Dugtrio's role is to switch in on excadrill, aegislash, cinderace, dracozolt, toxapex, ttar, and toxtricity to trap and kill them. Focus sash allows it to take a hit, live on 1 health, and kill with earthquake. Living on 1 HP boosts reversal's power to 200, and that allows a guaranteed kill on bulky ttar and obstagoon. Screech is to lower the defense of bulkier mons like ferrothorn trapping them with arena trap.
kommoo.png

Kommo-o @ Throat Spray
Ability: Bulletproof
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Clanging Scales
- Aura Sphere
- Flamethrower
- Clangorous Soul
Kommo-o- Kommo-o's role is to switch in on mons that it can set up on like ttar, ferrothorn, and cinderace. It can use clanging scales to predict switchins and activate the throat spray, or use clangorous soul to activate the spray and get an omniboost. The boost allows it to outspeed non-scarf pokemon except ninjask and accelgor. Flamethrower hits mons like ferrothorn, aegislash, and corviknight, while aura sphere is for obstagoon, ttar, excadrill, and bisharp. Clanging scales hits everything that doesnt resist it or isnt immune to it, and the defense drop wont matter because it outspeeds almost everything.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1047391274

Last edited:
The rules state that every Pokémon requires at least 3 lines of explination. If you don't do this the mods will block this thread until you do.

Looks like a cool team though.

I would recommend to change screech to hone claws, so when dugtrio KOs a Pokemon, it can keep it's raised stats.
Plus ferrothorn might have power whip 2OHKO dugtrio.

But in all; it's a good team.

Hey skreety! Welcome to competitive.

Your mon selection is actually very interesting. I'm not going to try to change too much here.

First of all I'd say this sort of build should probably attempt to be an hyper offence team, winning games through high pressure on opposing teams with strong wallbreakers and entry hazards. Hazards are a huge part of what can win games of competitive Pokemon so you should try to accommodate at least stealth rock on every team.

My suggestion, if you want to stick with the mons you've chosen, is to fit stealth rock on Bisharp's moveset (probably over swords dance). He's the only one that can do it for this team and having rocks means you'll often have opportunities to get defiant boosts, making swords dance sort of redundant.
Alternatively you could choose to fit it on dugtrio instead of screech, as ferrothorn is actually setup fodder for a bisharp with swords dance. Up to you to see what works best here.

Another suggestion I would have is fitting spikes on golisopod. It probably doesn't need double priority and spikes don't synergize badly with a choice item as it's a move you're often going to use more than once in a row. Probably lose aqua jet as sucker punch is very nice for dragapult.

These few changes should really improve your odds against fat teams that can recover and stall out your mons, as well as faster teams you're missing a couple of important KOs on. Try to set up as many hazards as possible and predict when is a good time for the opponent to defog/court change/rapid spin, and make the appropriate counterplay to punish. Prediction and hazard wars are an integral part of the Pokemon metagame and you might as well start strong.

Hope this helps your team for the better!

Hey skreety! Welcome to competitive.

Your mon selection is actually very interesting. I'm not going to try to change too much here.

First of all I'd say this sort of build should probably attempt to be an hyper offence team, winning games through high pressure on opposing teams with strong wallbreakers and entry hazards. Hazards are a huge part of what can win games of competitive Pokemon so you should try to accommodate at least stealth rock on every team.

My suggestion, if you want to stick with the mons you've chosen, is to fit stealth rock on Bisharp's moveset (probably over swords dance). He's the only one that can do it for this team and having rocks means you'll often have opportunities to get defiant boosts, making swords dance sort of redundant.
Alternatively you could choose to fit it on dugtrio instead of screech, as ferrothorn is actually setup fodder for a bisharp with swords dance. Up to you to see what works best here.

Another suggestion I would have is fitting spikes on golisopod. It probably doesn't need double priority and spikes don't synergize badly with a choice item as it's a move you're often going to use more than once in a row. Probably lose aqua jet as sucker punch is very nice for dragapult.

These few changes should really improve your odds against fat teams that can recover and stall out your mons, as well as faster teams you're missing a couple of important KOs on. Try to set up as many hazards as possible and predict when is a good time for the opponent to defog/court change/rapid spin, and make the appropriate counterplay to punish. Prediction and hazard wars are an integral part of the Pokemon metagame and you might as well start strong.

Hope this helps your team for the better!
Thanks for the input! Im going to replace sd on bisharp with rocks, but i dont think i can replace anything on golisopod. Aqua jet is necessary for excadrill and sucker punch is necessary for dragapult. Liquidation hits slower mons and predicted switchins and first impression is just a really fat slap to anything that doesnt resist. Thanks for the response though :)

EDIT: I did some testing: Bisharp w/ rocks works great. But i cant find a move for golisopod to replace with spikes. Every time i change one, i end up needing it next game. Still appreciate the suggestions though :)

Last edited:
Thanks for the input! Im going to replace sd on bisharp with rocks, but i dont think i can replace anything on golisopod. Aqua jet is necessary for excadrill and sucker punch is necessary for dragapult. Liquidation hits slower mons and predicted switchins and first impression is just a really fat slap to anything that doesnt resist. Thanks for the response though :)

EDIT: I did some testing: Bisharp w/ rocks works great. But i cant find a move for golisopod to replace with spikes. Every time i change one, i end up needing it next game. Still appreciate the suggestions though :)
Also you can try out shell smash spikes cloyster over golisopod and see if that improves your team. You miss out on priority but you gain a scary setup sweeper that has access to spikes and can set up on excadrill and pretty much everything else with ease. The set is usually focus sash jolly/adamant with 252 speed 252 atk. You can lead with it and shell smash, then use the pressure to get kills or set up spikes (or both sometimes). Just be careful not to waste the boost if the opponent has priority like aqua jet or shadow sneak that can revenge kill you easily. Try it out and see what works best for you.

Also you can try out shell smash spikes cloyster over golisopod and see if that improves your team. You miss out on priority but you gain a scary setup sweeper that has access to spikes and can set up on excadrill and pretty much everything else with ease. The set is usually focus sash jolly/adamant with 252 speed 252 atk. You can lead with it and shell smash, then use the pressure to get kills or set up spikes (or both sometimes). Just be careful not to waste the boost if the opponent has priority like aqua jet or shadow sneak that can revenge kill you easily. Try it out and see what works best for you.
I will :)) thank you. Ill send replays of the new team

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)